Cubed Cut Burley, the right dose of Latakia and stoved Red Virginia for sweetness, combine to bring you this superbly well crafted blend that lights easily and burns to a clean white ash. A wonderful all day smoke.

Brand4noggins
Taste
Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pouch note is incredibly sweet... so sweet I did what I normally do not and read the description of this tobacco prior to reviewing to see if there was some sort of topping. I don't think there is, but there are quite a bit of high sugar tobaccos in this one. If I had to explain this unlit aroma, the closest thing I can come to is Candy Corn.

Codger scooped into my DGE poker. Match, tamp, match.

Nothing of the pouch note comes through in the flavor. That's not a bad thing, however. What I'm getting is a well rounded, nutty and mildly sweet classic burley with a whisper of smoke and sourness at the back end. Snork gives me a bit of that pouch aroma, but a sharp bite as well... almost like cigar leaf.

A little caramel as the bowl warms up midway, but definately a blend where good old bready and nutty burley takes center stage, with a smokey/sour component intermingling. The blend tastes more English as the bowl progresses, but the nutty flavors take dominance throughout.

Room note was pleasant, marshmallows, toasted bread, and woodfires.

Good nicotine buzz too. Not over the top, but still made it's presence known.

Pipe Used: DGE Briar Poker Nosewarmer

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Nightcap.

mortonbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mortonbriar (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i have sampled a handful of 4 noggins blends, this is the first one i have really liked, i will happily buy this in bulk in the future.

needs a bit of drying out, i have tried rubbing the burley cubes right out, and left them whole, both ways worked for me, but either way needs drying time.

To me its a simple flavour, which i am slowly figuring out is the thing i am most drawn to, a well balanced blend which relies on a small amount of flavours, blended well. I am looking forward to aging some in the cellar.

Pipe Used: variour briars

This is a lovely smoke. The Latakia and the Burley are nearly balanced. The Burley is just a nose ahead. The Lat gets a little stronger toward the end of the bowl, coming into balance. The Virginias are the base. There is a mild topping that is honey-like. Floral and sweet. Hard to tell how much sweetness is coming from the Virginias and how much from the topping. It burns very slowly and can easily be kept lit by sipping. It's very enjoyable and satisfying. Medium in body and taste.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice gentle smoke, mild in many ways without being at all weak. The burley and virginia work nicely together for a smooth, naturally-sweet smoke, and the latakia, while always present, is a solid background member of the trio. Unless you dislike even a hint of latakia or demand it in quantity, this is a solid 'give it try' fairly-slow-burning mixture.

NorthwoodsSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NorthwoodsSmoke (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The first time I smoked this I had 3 bowls in a row. I really enjoyed it. Still do. I think I'll have some more today.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have yet to find a bad blend from 4Noggins. They all strike me as what pipe tobacco is supposed to be. Easy going. Light and burn well. Taste wonderful. No fuss no muss. Jsut soem good pipe smokin'.

This is Bald Headed Teacher's cousin with hair and a newer suit. Bolder. More latakia. Not the hint of aromatic in the back ground like BHT.

To me anyone who smokes a pipe will like this blend and I cant imagine anyone really hating it. The high tone English Connoisseurs can happily smoke this stuff when they go fishing and want to fell all in touch with the common man. And the drug store burley crowd will find this a nice way to add some spice to their lives when PA is starting to become mundane.

Plus Neil Young? That's one rockin' old man.

getcha some.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

This blend is perfectly balanced in its tobaccos. It burns very well, delicate flavor, the percentage of Latakia brings his unique taste in the blend. Personally with this type of blend I almost shut down the pipe several times, smoke draw with very slow and almost imperceptible smoke to appreciate its features. Loading pipe tobacco with very little pressure. In the final part of the smoke leaves your mouth slightly doughy. I am not so convinced that a tobacco throughout the day. Recommended for experienced smokers, not beginners!

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is a bit too sweet for me, tends to burn a bit wet, and a bit hot. I always end up with tongue bite. The cube cut burley seems to hold a lot of humidity, and even with drying it out a lot, I still find it generates a lot of dottle and moisture.

I like the flavor profile, and generally like what the blender is trying to do here, but the tobacco won't behave in the pipe for me.

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing to dislike here and the smoke is cool to the mouth. Latakia is present equally from the start to the finish and in a degree that is just right for a pleasurable smoke regardless the season or time of day. What more could one ask?

Never one that enjoys suffering for my pleasure, I find that this blend is simply...nice and well worth the price and the tamp.

Arkansas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkansas (6)

I feel that this is Rich's best blend. I really like flakes, but this is the blend that I go too when not smoking flakes. Also Rich is a great person to deal with.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I just got my first pound of Harvest Moon from Rich over in Vermont. An outstanding burley blend, with enough virginia to give it a little bounce.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to handle Virginia blends. They all tend to bite. But the Virginias in this one are biteless. The Latakia is there, but not so predominant as in Balkan and English blends.

I reckon Harvest Moon as similar to Morley's Best, but that may just be me. You can see the burley in big chunks, and taste it right the way through. No bitterness, as this one burns smooth all the way to the end.

Like all the 4Noggins blends I have tried so far, this one is a winner. In fact, ordering from Rich is now a seriously challenging process as I can never make up my mind which of them I want more of.

If you are partial to burley, but like Latakia and want both in one blend, look no further. A fantastic smooth smoke with enough N punch to satisfy.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not a burley fan. I can't think of any burley blends that I buy a lot of, or have greedily finished a tin of. It is the cigarettey, washed out bane of my pipesmoking experience. That said, this is not a burley blend. It's a blend that happens to contain a little burley, and the burley serves as a toasty carrier for the sweeter virginia and the heavier latakia.

Some blends live up to the tin description, and some don't. This one does. It's easy smoking, very tasty (I suspect a light topping but it's very light indeed). Almost has a fruity element buried in the layers, and there are a lot of layers to the taste.

A nice pipeful, very pleasant. Well done Rich. I don't know if it's an American English, or what, but it's a nice tasting blend. It is NOT real heavy... this is no Nightcap, nor even Squadron Leader. The latakia is condimental, and the whole thing is good.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Anything that starts off with Cube Cut Burley, usualy gets ignored by moi, I read no futher, I am a self confessed SNOB, to put it very mildly, with leanings toward fine virginia's and latakia, this pleasant suprise, contains both, and, as it's creator IMHO is a Master Blender, it was worth a very small risk, and one which did not dissapoint.

Opening the pouch, one is greeted by a black, brown and reds with a little lighter cube cut. Load is easy and a single match is all I need for ignition. The Latakia stays in the background giving a nice smokiness without being overpowering at all, something I find unusual when a Latakia is present. The wonderful sweet Red Virginia (one of my favourites) is carried manfully on the shoulders of the Burley with just a gentle hint of it's nutiness.

Now I love McC's 5100, but a pipe or two in the evening is enough, else it may come over as being to cloying or sickly, but this, this is something else, even those who dislike Latakia could smoke this, so tame in the background is it, but just enough to let you know it is there.

I tend to smoke Latakia in the winter and Virginia's in the summer, this however, can be smoked in any season and a good all day blend at that.