Two cube cut Burleys combined with cigar leaf. Meaty, sweet, and smokey. This might be John's favorite blend yet!

BrandJohn Patton

3.8
Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I weep huge tears that only nine of John's blends are currently available. It's the "Great American Tragedy". Be that as it may, I can't say enough about this blend. Over the past months it has turned into my favorite blend! Now, I've been a pipe guys for years and have traveled the weary road through just about all the genres and blends that there are...of course there are always new ones with which to play. This one is one of the finest concoctions avialable...especially to lovers of Burley blends - like I am. Some perspective...my favorite blends are the new JackKnife Plug (GLP), Stonehaven, C&D's Briar Fox, Exhausted Rooster and Night Train, Gawith's Dark Plug/Flake (unscented) - blends that are pretty much straight tobacco in flavor but perhaps with the subtle addition of an enhancing flavor. I like 'em strong. I like 'em full. I don't like Latakia.

SO...Stormfront has the following to recomment it: a) Bag aroma - sweet nutty Burley coupled with a subtle undernote of citrus (?). b) Gravity fill with one tamp and then re-fill to top...simple, easy, fast & effective. c) First light and it takes off. I've done a single tamp and then re-light, but you can go with just the intial light. It works. WARNING: keep the bowl lightly tamped during the 1st half of it will heat significantly. d) TONS of thick delicious smoke. Sweet Burley flavors. Lovely. e) Smokes to halfway point easily and without a hint of bite or gurgle. f) By this point (1/2 onward) the flavors have shifted to present deeper and darker notes...the cigar leaf is now evident but still subtle...and while needing occasional relights it delivers on these flavors while still being a no fuss, no bite, no gurgle experience. It does not taste like a cigar...that leaf just deepens the flavors and adds immesurably to the overall experience.

This is arguably one of the world's greatest blends, and absolutely ideal as an all-day smoke. If this ever goes off the market, the house of cards I call my life will come tumbling down.

On my 10 point scale, for me this rates a 9.75. Very, very highly recommended. Esp. to fans of Burley blends.

Update #1: As many other reviewers have done on these hallowed electronic pages, I need to go back and ammend my initial glowing comments re: this blend. My apologies for having mislead any of you re: the relative merits of this one. After having really lived with it for a few months, having at least 2 bowls a day in various and sundry pipes (and even though this is a burley blend, it seems to do well in any briar as well as the expected cob) and finally really feeling I have a handle on it...my earlier review isn't quite accurate. I believe I fell short in presenting its spectacular goodness. What this blend represents is something truely profound: the absolute domination of smoking perfection.

I feel I have a burden of responsibility to ensure that each and every one of you reading this march your butt over to 4-N's and get started with this one as soon as possible. After all, you might not have much time left. That bus with your name on it might be barreling your way even as you read this...better take advantage while you can.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

Hello everybody, I'm pleased to say I'm returning to the pipe after an 18 year absence. First, if you don't mind, allow me to give you an idea of my old smoking profile. Back in the day, Balkan Sobranie was my "go to" smoke. Some others I enjoyed were Erinmore Flake, an occasional Saint Bruno, and, my all time favorites, Elephant & Castle's Isle of Skye and Roanoke. By and large, I preferred English/Oriental blends and Virginias, though I occasionally would fire up a Black Cav or some other aromatic. I never really went much for house blends, mostly tins. These days, on my return to the pipe, I've discovered I have a mild aversion to blends with high nicotine, and I'm not a big fan of Perique heavy blends (as a spice, I'm okay with it). In spite of these preferences, I'm determined to test out any and all tobaccos, regardless of my likes or dislikes. On to the review.

I haven't smoked many burley heavy blends in the past—never really wanted to, until now. I'm glad I took the leap. This tobacco was an eye opener. The side stream to this 'baccy was nothing short of fabulous! I found most of the flavor, a pleasant earthy nuttiness there, very pleasing. This is a good "snorker," that's for sure (proceed with caution). The cigar leaf added to the blend was hardly noticed, mildly present in the smoke, not the taste. The downside of this blend, for me at least, is the nicotine content—which I'd place on the high side of medium. I would not recommend smoking this blend on an empty stomach. All in all, a great smoke, one that I'll put in my rotation for next year; probably not a summer smoke, though, rather one for the fall or spring. Storm Front makes me want to try more burley blends—so, the tin of Solani Burley Flake I have in storage will have to be popped! Juxtaposed against all the other blends I've tried over the years, I'd put Storm Front up near the top. Good Stuff!

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi Freehand

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4noggins

Earthy, and smokey burley with a extremely light sweetness. The cigar leaf, and maybe a very light topping of some kind adds to the light sweetness of the burleys. But don't get me wrong: this is not that sweet of a tobacco. It's a stronger, woodsy tasting burley that is a nice change from the Carter Hall type of blend; more in the sweet and sour genre. It's nearly the kind of burley blend you might find from some of those made by C&D. It has a light to medium nic hit, which might surprise you, considering the name of this mixture. It has enough strength to please without knocking your socks off, and deserves a four star rating... and your hard earned bucks.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Very recommended for those who like cigar tasting cigar blends. Great smoke. PS mixing this (50-50) with fully rubbed out Dominican Glory Maduro (Mc Clelland) gives also a GREAT blend.

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is what they say about this blend:

"Two cube cut burleys combined with cigar leaf. Meaty,sweet, and smokey. This might be John's favorite blend yet!!

Now when I first tried this tobacco I found it a little harsh on the throat to be honest so I let it sit for several months and forgot about it. Then one evening on the chat I was discussing tobaccos with the fellas and Storm Front was mentioned. So I thought I would revisit it and give it another go. Well time has certainly mellowed this tobacco and turned it into a smooth and earthy smoke. At no time was it harsh or did it bite. The cigar leaf was evident but not overpowering, blending in well with the burley added. I did not taste the sweetness but if you like a good tobacco and cigar taste then this might be the one and I highly recommend it. It burns nicely to a grey ash and only needed a second relight. This is a wonderful full tasting smoke and will satisfy the diehard cigar leaf connoisseur so do yourself a favour and give it a try, you won't be dissapointed

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The reference Burley. This one unseated Old Joe Krantz for me. Between this and Epiphany I don't think I'd ever crave another Burley. Maybe the occasional bowl of Carter Hall or Edgeworth.

Sweet and mild but not gutless. A constant friend in a crazy world. The best I can do to describe this is to say it's like a premium blender did their take on a classic American OTC. I'm sure Bob Runowski would have loved this tobacco. I do.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is one of the easiest reviews I have done. I recommend this blend more than any other blend. So highly recommended is the only choice.

What is it like? Heaven in a pipe. Everyone should try it, especially any burley lovers.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Woodsy, earthy campfire notes. Very pleasant smoke...

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Like so many before me, I started off with a 2oz sample to see what all of the fuss was about. I love Cool Hand Fluke, I love burley, a bajillion rave reviews, yadda yadda yadda....eh, time to give Storm Front a go. Brother lemme tell ya...if you LOVE burley as much as I do...hell, if you even remotely LIKE burley you gotta try Storm Front! I could sit here and gild the lily some more, but then I might delay you from high tailing it over to 4N and ordering this one right now! That reminds me, I gotta get another pound!

cigarsarge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarsarge (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Not much more to add...Smokey sweet flavor. I suspect the cigar leaf adds the sweet finish. Gravity filled...Lightly tamped my Stanwell 45. One light and the bowl burned all the way down with no relights. Just enough nic to relax.

Got a bit of this in a trade with Blackhourse...Bought a pound the next day. This is in my top three tobaccos. Mr. Patton did well with this one.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)

Storm Front is remarkable in a sipper pipe but best in a cob. I have smoked pounds of this and I can tell you it is my favorite all day tobacco. It is best right when you get it in the mail from 4noggins.com. I think I read Patton has specific instructions of 62% humidity (?) which is just perfect for bringing out the best in his burleys. If I had one tobacco to smoke the rest of my life, this would be it. This is the best tobacco I've ever smoked and has singlehandedly made me into a burley fan. Legendary.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

As I wander around a recent shipment of Pattonia I like to get one of my favourite poems out of storage -- the Song of Hiawatha -- and leaf through it while puffing. There is something in these blends redolent of forests, streams and, if not wigwams, certainly remote and wild places.

With Storm Front, JP has hit several notes, as far as my experience is concerned. I have taken time in shopping around this blend in some of my pipes, and so far it works best in one of my old Kaywoodie hand made super grains -- a largish billiard, with no stinger. Whether or not that is relevant is another matter, but I always find it is the combination of wood and leaf, not just the leaf, that gives the taste and experience.

What taste! This is several steps up from Moe's Confetti, and comes fairly near to Granger and Half-and-Half. I have not tasted any cigar in it so far, and it may be the pipe or just me, but I wonder how much is in there. I just get burley, a nutty, slow burning burley taste that delivers the goods without a bite. This is quite unlike the other JP blend I reviewed recently -- Smoked Burley. This is more like what one gets in the OTC burley products.

It produces a lot of smoke, and is never monotonous -- that could be the cigar leaf, playing around with the burleys. I would guess there might be a bit of Virginia in there as well. Whatever it is, the combination adds up to a remarkable achievement -- mild but tasty, with a slight zing every so often.

The Song of Hiawatha is a long poem, good enough for at least several pipes full of Storm Front. Mini Ha Ha has not yet complained of the room note, which is a positive sign. All well in the wigwam of this puffer.

What a great blend. I really enjoyed smoking it. It has a very nice aroma in the pouch, kind of like old leather. It is a small cut mostly cube cut, loaded very easily in my pipe, and took one good light to almost all the way down and then only one more to finish. It smoked all the way down to a grey ash and dry pipe. It was very creamy, cool smoking and very rich tasting. The cigar leaf is there, but it does not dominate the blend, it ads spice and fullness. The burleys in this are just a match in burley heaven. I liked this one enough, that once I finished my first bowl, I loaded it again in a large billiard and smoked another bowl. This is a very nice blend that I do recommend very much to try, cigar smoker or not. Not for VA lovers but wonderful to burley smokers.

krumpelman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krumpelman (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What a great Cigar leaf blend. I love cigars, but I love my pipes as well. It's nice to get a pipe blend that doesn't try to be a cigar. A solid burley blend with an occasional hint of cigar. The cigar is no way overpowering, and is blended in a balanced proportion. This blend is great for DGT. I did notice the cigar note became more noticeable when it is DGT. Still not overpowering. I am giving some of this to my buddy that is still on the cigar more then pipe, I bet his pipe usage picks up with Storm Front.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

You can tell by looking at the tobacco that there's a good portion of cigar leaf in this one. It's a strong presence in the blend. From the taste, I don't think it's Dominican cigar leaf because it has the spicy, punching strength I associate with cigars from the mainland, from Honduras or Nicaragua. But enough of me trying to sound like a con o sewer. The cigar taste is gentle and strong, but it never overwhelms the rest of the tobacco. Which, surprisingly enough, is Burley. I dislike Burley. It's been in every tobacco I positively loathed. So I have no idea why I bought this tobacco. But I'm glad I did. If this is Burley, then I'd be happy to be buried in it when I die.

What you get here is two slow, powerful flavors melding into a single experience, as when real cream is mixed in coffee or caramelized onions piled on a steak. There's nothing sharp or insistent about either flavor, but their casual strength joins easily and together they just sort of roll unstoppably over your senses. The Burley (and I still can't believe it's Burley) is sweet, but it's darker and less insistent than sugar, tastes more like pecans in molasses. The sweetness goes very well with the lower, salty, earthy flavors from the cigar leaf.

The fun part (as though it's not fun already) is that the tobacco increases and changes flavors while you smoke. If you like that experience, you'll love this tobacco. When I started puffing, I was thinking, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if they put some tobacco in this one?" Then for the rest of the first half of the bowl, I could tell there's tobacco, of course, but the flavors were a simple promise of something deeper later on. The last half of the bowl is where the flavor marriage takes off and does its thing, producing a stunning crescendo sweet and earthy goodness, with new hints of chocolate and pretzels. The nicotine strength keeps pace, beginning mild and ending up on the verge of wooziness.

And that's just some turns with an MM Washington. What would this be like in a larger bowl? Hmmm . . . I can't wait!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a really good burley smoke, but I will say that you probably have to enjoy burley to appreciate it. Like all the rest of John Patton's blends, this arrives a bit on the dry side. The great thing about this is that it's ready to smoke right away and you're not paying for excess water weight. Just for the heck of it, I did try re-moistening a small amount of my first 8 ounce purchase and comparatively I prefer it at the moisture level that Mr. Patton intended. Drier is better.

Meaty is a good descriptor, but I would also classify Storm Front as warm, earthy and woody but definitely not sweet. Sure there's a slight sweetness in the room note but I don't find it sweet to taste. The pouch note is almost a dead ringer for Carter Hall, kind of a lightly topped fruity and slightly boozy aroma. The cigar leaf adds just a touch of spice and some deeper structure to the overall flavor profile but at heart this mixture is by and large a rustic, old-timey pipe smoke. Comparisons to C&D's burleys are spot on both in flavor and strength. When smoked too fast I even get a lump in the back of my throat from the nicotine. Altogether Storm Front is smooth, flavorful and perfect for a cool fall or winter evening pipe. Bonus points for smoking it in a cob.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I received a nice "sampler" from a friend (about 4 oz!) that knew I enjoyed a lot of great burley blends. Took me awhile to smoke all of it, but this is an interesting take on "straight" burley. Smokey is a good descriptor, and it's not one I've thought of often when it comes to burley.

Smokey and lightly sweetened with something, but I can't place the flavoring. May be mild cigar notes and there were some in this blend that popped up regularly, but they melded nicely in with the nuttiness of the burley. Since there is reportedly no virginia in this mix (and I didn't notice any), something else is contributing the sweetness and I'd guess it's a light casing of some sort. Whatever it is, it adds rather than detracts. But back to smokey! :) Perhaps that's the cigar talking and it was a nice change of pace for a burley. Elevates what I would otherwise find to be a rather mundane mixture to "recommended" status. I'm not quite as taken with this as are some other smokers, but as far as burleys go, I've smoked better from the Houses of Uhle, Pipeworks & Wilke and C&D. But this is a rather unusual take on the straight burley and I can certainly understand why it has its fans. Definitely worth a shot as long as you don't go in with the absolute expectation that it will live up to its hype.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (53)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

Upon opening the package containing a pouch of Storm Front, I was immediately greeted by the aroma of a drug store burley such as Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or other Middleton product. Smoking it also offers an experience similar to a Middleton product, albeit with a touch of something else which makes it a bit more creamy and substantial than Prince Albert. If this touch of something is cigar leaf, it is in such a minute quantity as to be unrecognizable. The flavoring agent has a synthetic quality which gets a bit disgusting as the bowl progresses. If I wanted to smoke a drug store blend, I would go down the street to Rite Aid and get one rather than mailing for one from across the country with a different name affixed.

11/27/2011 - Upgrading to 2 stars. After letting the pouch sit out for a number of months, enough of the synthetic agent has evaporated to reveal a taste similar to a mild, short-filler "lawn mowing" cigar. The room note will not win you any friends because it smells like you are smoking a mild cigar.

10/3/2012 - This blend reminds me of a woman I dated in my younger days. She was a bit of a cheap floozy with bleach blond hair and dark roots and some bad habits, but I kept going back to her for quite some time. So it is with Storm Front. It has a bit of a cheap drugstore burley taste, has too much PG, and gets kind of bland at the bottom of the bowl, but I keep going back to it anyway. Maybe it's because it smokes consistently every time and satisfies just enough of my cigar and burley leaf needs to keep me sated. Maybe it's because it's so easy and care free (like that woman) to smoke. I will be ordering more. God help me, I just can't stop myself...upgrading to 3 stars.

1/25/2014 - Subsequent batches have been less aromatic, a welcome improvement...upgrading to 4 stars.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm writing this based on two bowls on a sample that I received from the blender. I've made a point of not reading the other reviews.

I am a fairly long time cigar smoker (15+ years) and relatively new to the pipe (just over a year).

I did not detect anything cigar like about the blend in the pipe.

I did find the blend creamy, relatively smooth, definitely richer than a straight Burley like PA would be. Somewhat sweet as well without being overpowering.

As with most Burley blends, it turned a bit ashy towards the end, which was fine as most of what was left was fairly hard chunks of charcoal dottle.

The blend is well behaved in the pipe, no goop, clean dry smoking.

I have not smoked any other cigar leaf blends. This blend definitely uses it as a condiment, at least to my taste buds... don't be put off by the ingredients if you love Burley but don't like cigars!