Extravagant is the right word to characterize this mixture. We have revolutionized the traditional old English art of blending. The main ingredient is the finest spicy smoky latakia. By adding highly aromatic black cavendish, this blend becomes smoother. A small portion of burley gives a slight toasted aroma, and a pinch of bright Virginia brings a subtle sweet note. Mellow, but yet full bodied aromas of honey and fruit essences result in a unique flavor. This tobacco will surely be a delight.

Notes: This tobacco is listed as English Aromatic on the website "Smokingpipes.com."

BrandSillem's
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Honey
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The best English/Aromatic I have ever smoked... hands down.

The tobacco nose from the tin is Latakia. The flavor at the match is robust, smokey and semi-sweet. I can readily taste the casing as well as the "campfire" flavor of the Latakia. Neither overwhelms and the "English" part of the flavor dominated... slightly.

The only drawback (and it is just a personal thing), is lack of strength. Still, for a fun, different and delightful smoke, Sillem's Black is just the ticket.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There mere fact that this is a latakia based aromatic should tell you that you are in for something profoundly different. The latakia, as the blend notes above denote, is the predominate flavor, and it is wonderful. It looks like latakia and cavendish in the tin, and that is what it smells like, for the most part. The aromatic essence has more of a lakeland quality than anything to my nose, and smokes more "floral" than "berry." It is certainly not overbearing, and does not knock you over like some of the famous English Lakeland aromatics.

I have to disagree with the few reviewers who described this as having an artificial or chemical component. I, like them, can only speculate, but this does not behave like a tobacco which has been treated in that fashion. For one, it is not goopy, and dries very quickly when out of the tin. Second, it does not bite like many cheap aromatics do which have been loaded with sugar and flavors to make them taste like something other than lawn clippings.

It is a cool smoke, and takes a little effort to get it going. Once lit, it burns evenly, with few relights as long as you pay attention. The smoke is rich and voluminous. There is latakia up front, but also the cavendish and VA providing backbone, and that lovely casing which is there in the taste as well as the aroma. It really does not "taste" fruity to me, but that might just be due to the transformative aspects of fire on the blend.

Overall this is very unique, has fine burn qualities, and a wonderful rich flavor.

I don't smoke a lot of aromatics. I was a bit blown away when I tried Sillem's Copenhagen. I really like that one. Thought I'd try this one due to the high ratings and I'm very glad I did.

There is an underlying light English "flavor" that works as a base here. English blends are my favorite so that works well for me. The aromatic flavors are cherry, vanilla, honey, and some other things that I can't quite pick up on. The honey, as any good honey will, has a nice floral note. The sum total is delicious. Very pleasing and enjoyable.

Doesn't have to be dried, but it does burn just a bit better if you do. Mild in body. Mild to medium in taste. The added flavorings are also mild to medium.

As with Copenhagen, it can burn a little warm if you get carried away. I've been known to do that with blends that taste really good. This is a nice addition to my very small stash of aromatics. I'll always keep some of this around. 3+

EDIT: 3/5/15 I'm raising this to 4 stars. This has become my favorite aro.

Pipe Used: MM General

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia tends to lead the other tobaccos a little, but the nutty, toasty, earthy, lightly molasses sweet burley plays an important second position. The description mentions that there’s spice in the latakia, which had to be added by a topping before being blended into the mix. It’s prevalent all the way through to the finish. The rich vanilla from the black cavendish acts in a support role. The grassy, citrusy Virginia is a background player. It’s hard to define all the toppings, but the ones I notice are, in order of importance, dark berry, cherry, honey, mango and marshmallow. I suspect there’s another fruit essence or two, as well as an obvious incense/floralness that reminds me of rose. These toppings sublimate the tobaccos quite a bit, but doesn’t totally drown them out. The strength threshold is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste level sits squarely on medium. Has a mild to medium nic-hit. Won’t bite or get harsh. The tobacco is a little moist, but doesn’t need much, if any, dry time. Burns cool at a slightly slow pace with a mostly consistent flavor, though it does occasionally have a very light syrup note. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a very pleasant, sweet, floral, spicy, lingering after taste. It’s a filling all day smoke for the experienced aromatic smoker.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I saw this in my local B&M and decided to take a chance on a tin. The first thing I didn't like right after opening is the plastic bag the tobacco is in and the second is the tin doesn't come vacuum packed. So I was surprised when I lit this up and there was not an overpowering taste to it, in fact it is on the underpowering side (if there is such a place). There is no tongue bite and the taste and room note are quite pleasing for the smoker and those nearby. You should get some compliments from passersby. The combination of tobaccos is first rate and whatever they use for a flavoring is done with moderation. It lights and stays lit easily enough and there is a fine ash at the bottom of the pipe when you finish. Overall, recommended.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Delicious tin note - cherry, chocolate latakia. Like a rich chocolate cake. Slightly bitter smoke, can taste a hint of sweetness through the latakia. The latakia is mild tasting. Very enjoyable especially as a dessert smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum eaton cob

Purchased From: Smoking pipe online

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

...One of the best English/Aromatics I've ever smoked...

Truly vary different in taste and aroma yet serves both the Aromatic and typical English smoker. An any time of day smoke for me and I've enjoyed it in small to large bowls with little difference. Moisture level is important in burn quality and in burn speed...so I keep the level at 72% and find that to be a reasonable.

This is not a mixture that "can't decide" if its an English or an Aromatic...It is simply an English/Aromatic.

Price is quite steep, otherwise it is a must try tobacco...

Pipe Used: gp 3-6 size...

TorontoSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TorontoSmoker (19)

An extraordinary, unique aromatic, blended with Latakia - truely a remarkable masterpiece!

There's not much more I can add to the glowing reviews here except for one thing - I have figured out what this subtle, enjoyable topping tastes like to me:

It's Black Forest cake my friends! And it's fantastic!

Two points of caution: The last 3rd of the bowl isn't quite as nice as the first 3rd of the bowl. And it does dry out rather quickly in the tin once you've opened the bag, even if you keep it tightly wrapped in the cellophane bag and the tin tightly closed

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

pipetips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetips (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

I've got it NOW!! For months I have been struggling to determine the predominant note in this tobacco and couldn't put my finger on it until today...its Frankenberry Cereal!! This is my all time favorite smoke, a PURE DELIGHT. It is UNLIKE ANY OTHER AROMATIC you will find. It also has hints of blueberry pop tarts and marshmallow! and A DESSERT TREAT that goes perfectly with a great cup of coffee. WOW! If you have not yet tried SB order a tin ASAP and get ready for something wonderfully DIFFERENT.

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Among the best aromatics in the whole world, not just because it has the latakia addition which makes is rare but because the balance of flavours is just perfect for such a complex mix.

The smokey and creamy substance of the latakia is present but doesnt dominate, just add his character with subtlety, surrounding the palate but letting the virginias carry the sweet touch, a combination that one may paragon between vanilla, some cherry and honey. The smoke is robust, mature like, balancing between creamy, nutty, just a tad sweet while the flavour, casing and taste always keeps a mild pace. Something you may like if you prefer the english personality from the mix, but on the other hand it may dissapoint a bit the sweet tooth as it never gets sweet, always keeping balance, always managing to grant an english with a grain of sugar.

Personally i love this blend, its unique. Very calming smoke, a must for the colder days.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 221, Principe Albert

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I think of aromatic English blends, I tend to think of blends with the components of an English blend with some added sweetness (like Frog Morton’s Cellar) or a light topping. Sillim’s Black takes that to a whole new level. Black, like all of the Sillim’s aromatics is comprised of high quality tobaccos with a very heavy topping that smells wonderful. I don’t really pick out the toppings named in the description, but with that said, I can’t think of an aromatic blend that contains this much Latakia and is so aromatic (aromatic in an additive sense). It needs some dry time, and it will leave a pretty strong ghost in your briar so be sure to use a briar dedicated to aromatics or even a cob. It will even ghost an aromatic pipe that hasn’t been used with Latakia. With that disclaimer out of the way, it burns cool, is very rich in flavor and won’t burn hot. Black is fuller in body too. It will leave a tad bit of moisture in the pipe is not properly prepared. A lot of aromatics don’t cellar well, but I have had them jarred for as longer than four years without a problem. The packaging, while elegant, isn’t designed IMO for long term storage so I would jar it if cellaring is part of the plan.

Age When Smoked: New & up to 4 years

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

WOW.

I had never heard of the brand or the blend, and when my pipe guy said I have to try some and described it as an aro with some latakia, I have to admit I was just humouring him when I fired it up.

It opens fairly innocently, big plume of aro smoke which tasted like a lot of other aros. Then all heck broke loose and the latakia came in beautifully. It's really something, the aro elevates into a really gentle but sublime taste, and the lat is just right coming in and adding just a hint of smokiness.

The concoction is just right, and it really changes the whole way down. Down near the end, its a very rich and deep bowl where the tobacco is noticeably present with the aro elements changing the whole way down too.

Cannot recommend it highly enough. Completely surprised, and now I need to find a procure a lot of this.

Pipe Used: XXL Freehand

rick5iron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rick5iron (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Quite simply the best tobacco I've had in long time just great.. As others have stated though, put this in a jar because the tin is terrible to keep it in.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild Extra Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is is an Aromatic. If you're a big fan of Latakia English blends and their Balkan, Oriental cousins this blend will not be for you. Not a crossover blend in my view.

The tin is not sealed, simply a cellophane bag closed with tape and placed inside the tin. A bit concerning since there must be a tonne of added humectants. First nose is massive amounts of cherry and vanilla, with zero Latakia. After emptying the bag into a mason jar the bag itself had a slight smokiness to it.

Packs well, lights well and burns to a nice clean powdery ash, not gooey nor wet. A fairly cool smoke; however, can bite if rushed; obviously quality leaf.

The blending is expertly done, huge amounts of cherry yet rather mellow. The best cherry blend I've had, not that I'm an aromatic connoisseur. Disappointingly the Latakia never does show-up, it's used to make the cherry deeper/broader and does add a bit of depth "smoking satisfaction". Unlike most Aromatics which are far too bland and cannot deliver apart from pleasant aromas. This blend is also low in nicotine, not that I care but others do.

It's recommended to either to use one of your aromatic briars or if this becomes a favourite dedicate a few. I would not use my English pipes, it ghosts a lot despite the well behaved nature of the casings.

Unfortunately, every-time I smoke Sillem's I end up with a wicked headache due to the casing agents, humectants, and chemical additives therefore I cannot recommend this blend.

If however, you're looking for an English with a hint of aromatic sweet black cavendish I would highly recommend Boswell's North Woods the room note is definitely Latakia although the aromatic combines to make something which reminds me of Catholic High Mass and Frankincense and it tastes great too.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As others have noted, the tin fragrance is similar to toasted marshmallows. The marshmallow taste is greatly diminished while smoking which gives it a subtle quality. Contrary to other reviewer's comments, I could not detect any hint of floral or soapy smell or taste. It is sweet but not cloying or artificial or chemical. This is a unique blend because. although it is sweet and it has latakia like MacBaren's Latakia, it has a delicate, smooth taste. The idea of lat combined with sweet Cavendish seems bizarre but Sillems somehow accomplished it. It can give a slight bite if multiple bowls are smoked continuously but, generally, it is a well behaved blend. Great stuff and deserving of 4 stars.

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (37)

I truly enjoy a myriad of tobacco genres (i.e., Burley, Virginia Flakes, VaPers, VaBurPers, Orientals, English & Balkan blends). My personal 4-star rating system (opinion) is as follows: 4 stars = one of the best in class for this tobacco genre, 3 stars = a very good blend for this tobacco genre (but not a firm favorite), 2 stars = a good/decent blend in this genre (yet I prefer other blends), 1 star = the blends flavor or aromatic characteristics is not appealing to me (for the particular genre) and I most likely will not purchase it again.

Sillem's Black has been on my wish list for some time and was a little tough to find in stock. Having read many good reviews here about this blend I just had to try it as this one sounded like a unique blend worthy of a trial! And BOY-OH-BOY were the reviews right on the money. This is some excellent pipe weed with a savory, sweet & smoky flavor & aroma that keeps one interested & entertained throughout the whole smoking session. Even when I've had to interrupt smoking for an extended break and park the pipe ... when I come back to that same bowlful I can resume where I left off with little change (i.e., no bitterness, excessive dryness, or wet dottle). I really like this blend and highly recommend it to any Aro piper whom may be looking to venture in the realm of Latakia-containing blends. As for my brethren of the briar who are English blend stalwarts ... it probably won't tickle your fancy ... but for someone who likes the American-English hybrid blends ... give it a try. I think you'll enjoy it.

Pipe Used: Briars, Meerschaums, & Cobs

Purchased From: www.4noggins.com

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a delicious English aromatic blend, a crossover of sorts that delivers on the promise of the Frog Morton series that McClelland couldn't accomplish. Smoky, sweet and fragrant, this will delight both the aromatic smoker and the English lover who desires something sweet.

It's not goopy, syrupy or overwrought. I get a touch of a floral note, perhaps honeysuckle and rose, but none of the heavy Lakeland-style soapiness. The toppings are prominent, but pleasant, akin to toasted marshmallows and blackberries. The Latakia, burley and cavendish are the lead players. The Virginias are not discernible.

Well behaved in the bowl. Burns dry and smooth in all pipes I've used. Complex and fun to smoke.

Richard Jhonson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Richard Jhonson (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Granted, latakia and berry casing aren't the most intuitive combination, but Sillem's has managed to work up a very satisfying blend. One that is evocative an old sort of store that carries really fine leather horse tack for English-style riding wherein is mingled the scents of sweet alfalfa hay and various aromatic liniments. Somehow Sillem's has translated this redolence into taste in a delicious, well-behaved and sophisticated aromatic.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

All I can say is WOW. This is such a sublime blend that gives you the best of an English and the subtle touch of an aromatic. You get that meaty charcoal taste from the Latakia and just a taste of sweetness (brown sugar or caramel perhaps) to help mellow out the smoke. Be warned though, as the taste will stay in your mouth long after smoking it.

I decided to buy this because of Pipestud's review. I figured if an expert who has tasted over a 1000 blends said it was the best aromatic hands down, there had to be something to Sillem's Black. While I am new to the hobby, I'm sure I will be coming back to this one.

My one and only gripe is the packaging. It's cool it comes in a tin, but unlike most I am familiar with having a vacuum seal and a rubber insert to keep things fresh, the tobacco comes in this plastic unsealable bag (like you would buy chocolates in). The tin itself doesn't close in a satisfying way, it just seems more gimmick than practical.

Give this one a try, I can't imagine anyone not liking it!

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this stuff. The latakia is not overpowering. The berry topping is quite nice. I am a big fan of these cross-overs. My only problem is that the flavor kid of dissipates after the first 2/3 of a bowl. That and it could be stronger. I'm a nicotine junkie.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Unique! An interesting and very unique aromatic. Latakia adds to the tin note which is a potpourri of aromas. Smokes very well and has an excellent, but very different flavor. It will not be a staple in my rotation, but a great add to the collection for... when I'm wanting something different or exciting.

Pipe Used: Brebbia '1960' Noce

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Pecci Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pecci (9)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Perfection! I love Latakia with Blk. Cav. and this is the best example. I wouldn't change a thing. The tin note is unique and this blend smokes as good as it smells.

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog Kentucky

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

FIrst off I am not a latakia fan, but after reading the reviews here decided to give this blend a shot. Like all the blends I have tried with latakia in it, its always overwhelming. Overall this is a pleasant smoke, no bite, burns well, and smells wonderful in the pouch as well as when burning. Well behaved tobacco and if you like latakia then you probably will enjoy this blend. I detected no floral taste, nor chemically taste of any sort. I will cellar this and smoke it on rare occasions when I want a change of pace.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Hmm, what to say here...

This was one of the first blends I tried since I started up pipe-smoking again a few months ago. (I used to back in 2003, but very lightly. Now I'm into it full-bore.) At first, I really liked this. However, that was before I tried other English blends. Since then, I came to realize this was an English/Aromatic, and it almost seems like it's low quality tobacco with simply some sort of flavoring added.

Another reviewer mentioned a soapy taste (or smell?). I get this too, and even if I let it air out for a while, it's still there. The flavor of the blend is good, but I can't get past that soapy/floral thing. I gave the rest to a friend in case he likes it.

SergentPepper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SergentPepper (5)

What a great smoking pleasure ! As soon as you open the tin, you clearly understand that it's gonna be something, boy... Perfect balance in the mixture of Latakia, Black Cavendish, Burley and Virginia. This tobacco is really... special and deserves to be smoked in a peaceful environment: doing nothing, watching nothing, earing nothing and, last but not least THINKING about nothing. Total exprerience :-) Very big stuff !

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

After 30 years of pipesmoking, just one word - best!

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sillem's - Black.

The nose from the tin is unmistakably aromatic: fruity and sweet. It's not particularly damp, like a lot of heavy-smelling aromatics can be. In fact, the moisture's great! It's presented as a coarse cut mixture, of which the bright yellow Virginia pieces are the largest. It light's easily.

The toppings pair well in the smoke. The fruit/citrus are prevented from becoming too sharp by an aromatic sweetness from the honey. Not a gloopy, sticky, sweetness that can emanate from sugar, but more charismatic. Where the tobaccos are concerned, the stronger of the flavours are vanilla from the black cavendish, and a rich Latakia note. Although the Lat's presence is unquestionable, it isn't an outright smoky flavour, it has more depth. The Burley and Virginia are miles behind, these give very little in comparison. The burn from it can't be argued with, being even and cool, and I get no tongue bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: well, it's Sunday afternoon and my wife's allowing me to smoke it in the living room with her, so it must be very pleasant!

This is a well accomplished blend, not my favourite aromatic, but still worth four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson 150th Anniversary Founders Edition

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Description is right: a very original English/Aromatic blend. Strong hints o berries on a Latakia carpet in a blend that manage to not be boring, despite its sweetness. I suggest to dedicate a pipe for this tobacco. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland)

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (12)

Perhaps the best latakia-aromatic blends available. There is a dark berry note that complements the latakia very very well. It can bite and get a little ashy if pushed too hard, and the excellent flavor will tempt you into puffing too fast.

On a side note, it reminds me of the now defunct thepiperoom.com's "Midnight Vigil", and is the only tobacco I've found with a similar flavor profile. If you have fond memories of that blend, give this a try.

Similar Blends: thepiperoom.com "Midnight Vigil".

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's quite strange, a latakiya blend with strong aroma of cherry, makes this blend a smokey cherry aromatic. I really don't like the tin packaging, is not good. The smoke is great but must enjoy it slowly, must draw slowly and longer to get a good smoke.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I purchased this tobacco thinking that it was a lightly flavored latakia mixture. I guess I was also swayed by the ratings, which at the time were very close to averaging four stars. As it turns out this is more of a heavily cased, fruity blend that happens to a have some latakia in it, but probably not very much.

To Sillem's credit, Black seems to be made from quality tobacco and I am sure this blend will appeal to some. However, I am always concerned when a manufacturer doesn't seal their foil pouches or tins. To me this tends to speak to the use of a humectant other than water in processing.

I am torn in my opinion here because strangely I like the flavor of this blend which is slightly sweet with an appealing zestiness. However, the room note is reminiscent of frangipani incense, an aroma that I have have never particulary cared for.

PipeGinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeGinger (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Not only was this my first tobacco, it still remains one of my all time favorites. To me its like a full blend on its own. but its like that something extra that dosnt over power and you dont have to meditate on to realize that its there. One of the best tobaccos I have ever smoked. Put it in your pipe and smoke it ! ! !

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

The aroma out of the tin is quite intriguing. A mosaic of sharp Latakia, cherry, vanilla, baked goodies, and holiday spices. Warmly aromatic, no chemical odors, rich aromas from the tobaccos hold their own with the casing. I'm not a big aromatic smoker, I've had some bad experiences with bad flavored tobaccos. But this stuff smells so delicious, I can tell this is going to be different.

Coarse cut packs OK, slow to light but burns alright.

Well blended English mixture, sharp, smoky Latakia pulling most of the weight. The casing is very well done - contributes quite a bit of flavor, but doesn't overpower the tobacco flavors. Balanced, interesting, and really tasty. Cherry, chocolate, marshmallow, tart Virginia leaf, hops, dried beans, graham crackers, plum sauce, cherry cordial, distant smoke, almonds, popcorn, roasted grains, and prunes. Yet it never loses it's “English” tobacco character for even a minute.

Complex and delectable. Not at all artificial tasting, all aromatics should be this pleasant and flavorful. This stuff is amazing. Cool smoking and a nice room note.

4 Stars. It's rare for me to consider an aromatic for my favorites list, but this one made it.

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What a nice surprise, an aromatic, that doesn't taste like a 1960's drug store blend. This is a quality tobacco , yes, with just a touch of Latiakia. French inhale, exhale through the nose, side-stream, it's all good. There is a lot going on here, but the predominate flavor is that "Lane's, Peach Brandy John Rolfe". I hate to do that, compare the two, because this baccy is head and shoulders above JR ( last time I tried JR was 1960's). This tobacco comes damp so it needs to dry before smoking, (the poor closing tin will take care of that for you), it doesn't bite and flavor seems to last through the bowl. I think this has a little N kick also. What you don't get is that bitter/sour Burley taste, it's all good. Have a big pile of cash, because this one doesn't come cheap. I'll keep this around for when I want to impress guests. They will say " ooooh I love the smell of a pipe", my wife will say "not the crap he smokes" . I'll fire up some SB and she'll be wrong again!

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (8)

A really nice tobacco that I'm delighted to be smoking. A really nice tin aroma, and just as nice when smoking. It relights easily, and there is very little tongue bite. It burns clean and is a pleasure to smoke all day. This is really good tobacco. Highly recommended.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Strong Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

Wow...What can I say...Wow! A Neo-English indeed. The blenders found a way to compliment the Latakia in a way I never thought possible. The Black Cavendish truly makes this blend shine. This blend made it up in my top five within the second draw of the first bowl. This is a very sweet blend so if ya don't like the sweet with your smoke than stay clear but if you're a fan of the English blends and you're looking for something progressive and unique than dude, you gotta try this stuff! Well worth the price. I actually think this will appeal more to the younger generation of pipe smokers, for our numbers are growing. This hobby is coming back in a major way. Oh, and yes i can taste the toasted marshmallows! Essential.

Edit 11-17-17. Well time goes by and tastes change. I'm changing my review from a 4 star to a 2 star mainly because I just can't smoke blends like this anymore. Too much added flavorings and too little nicotine. I still recommend this to beginners but I prefer more stout blends these days. When I first started smoking a pipe (10-01-2009) I was very fond of Latakia blends and German aromatics, these days I prefer traditionally scented Euro baccies like Condor Plug and St. Bruno so my tastes have obviously changed. I still think Sillem's Black is much better than most of the American style aromatics out there but I can't highly recommend it anymore.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful. If you read my review of Iwan Ries' "Gourmet English," it applies to Sillem's Black as well - they are almost identical in appearance, taste, smokability and room-note, although Sillem's Black seems to have slightly more of whatever flavoring/scent added, which is more pronounced in the tin note as well. The tin description above is puzzling, and it is not printed on the actual tin I purchased. I detected no "fruit essences" whatsoever (and I am not a fan of "fruity" tasting tobacco).

It arrived a little over-moist in the tin, but rubbing out a portion and letting it air in the open tin before packing allowed it to smoke perfectly. If you drink a cup of coffee while smoking a bowl, you may notice that Sillem's Black leaves the same nuanced aftertaste as IR's Gourmet English on your palate, although Sillem's Black has perhaps a hint of a more licorice-like aftertaste. For this tobacco blend, I have nothing but the highest recommendation.

Now the critique - not of the tobacco, but the packaging and availability. While IR's Gourmet English is readily available in an airtight sealed two-ounce tin or in bulk, Sillem's Black only comes in a 100g tin. Although the tin is very aesthetically pleasing, and no doubt contributes to the higher price of the tobacco, unfortunately it does not provide an airtight seal so the tobacco dries out too quickly. The tobacco inside is packaged in a folded cellophane pouch which is taped shut, also not airtight. It helps to put a humidor disc in the tin if you are not going to smoke the entire tin soon. An airtight tin, or perhaps a resealable foil pouch inside, would be a huge improvement. It would be nice if it was available in bulk too, but it is not.

Right now, Sillem's Black is unavailable for purchase anywhere online that I know of. If someone comes across any website that actually has it in stock, please inform us. But until some more becomes available in the future, I recommend trying Iwan Ries Gourmet English, as it has almost identical qualities in every way, and it is available in bulk too.

[BTW: Stop whatever you are doing right now and call your representative in Congress. Tell him or her to vote NO on H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 which was introduced on January 13, 2010. If passed, it will raise the tax on pipe tobacco 775% - that's seven hundred seventy five percent - from $2.8311 to $24.78 per pound. At that rate, you'll see typical pipe tobacco retailing at $150 a pound - which will put a lot of local tobacconists out of business for good, which is the intent behind the legislation.]

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow. This is awesome stuff!! The tin note is sublime but, it's hard to describe. Latakia with a slight berry topping perhaps. The moisture content is fine and the tobacco lights up right away and produces nice plumes of white tasty smoke. It burns down to a nice white ash. The room note is very pleasant. You just don't want to bowl to end. I enjoyed this tobacco very much. I experienced no bite at all. It kind of reminds me a milder version of GL Pease's Maltese Falcon with twist. Excellent. Well done!

I was gifted a generous portion of the this blend and I have to say i quite enjoyed it. Upon opening the baggie it was in, I was rewarded with a smoky sweetness that just begged to be put to the fire. It is a dark looking blend with a rough cut leaf composed of black and dark brown flakes that were of just the perfect moisture so Zi felt no drying time was needed. i don't know if the person that sent it to me had dried it or no. It loaded quite easily into my pipe, and lit up with one char and one full lighting. it burned quite well and provided right off the bat a nice sweet, creamy and smoky taste and aroma. This is for sure an English blend with the spicy taste of the Latakia, but the Black Cavendish content was there but in the background. it added a sweetness that was delightful, and it held this flavor all the way to the end. It never grew gruff or bitter and it never tried to bite me even when I pushed it. It burned cool in my pipe and burned down to a fine ash with no moisture or dottle in the bottom of my pipe and I smoked it in a large pot. I really like this blend for a Latakia smoke and I would highly recommend it to any one looking for a crossover English/Aromatic. I will buy more of this.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the first aromatic that actually smokes as delicious as it smells in the tin, even better as far as I'm concerned. This stuff is absolutely scrumptious! One of the first to "burn to a fine gray ash without any bite". Don't pass this one up! One bowl last night and I'm gonna order several tins when I get my next paycheck. I can't really describe the taste except to compare it to drinking a really nice Amaretto such as DiSarrono or similar. Very rich and delicious. Get some!!!

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening a tin, scent is surprisingly strong - at least for "traditional English art of blending". Fortunately, during smoking this strong flavour is not so dominant and smoking is easy and constant.

To me, this is not "the best tobacco I've ever smoked" as someone said, but it is good aromatic. Very good for easygoing hot Summer days along Adriatic Coast.

My rate: 3.80.

k_pip_k Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k_pip_k (9)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow, I'm hooked. I bought this not really thinking it would turn out to be a good or even great blend. But I figured if the manufacturers invested so much money and talent into a nice looking tin, then maybe they spent as much money and talent on blending the tobacco inside. Boy they sure did.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe the taste. Sort of like vanilla with hickory. The blend is reminiscent of an English, and yet it isn't. It tasted so good, I just kept wanting to smoke it.

The aroma upon opening the tin reminds you of other aromatic tobaccos, but it's not an aromatic. So don't get me wrong, I loved the smell, it's just deceiving. It burned nice, probably since I let it dry a bit. The taste was present all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

I'm getting a few more tins of these babies. I can't wait to try the other colors. I'll also keep this review up-to-date if anything changes over time.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

arrr me salty dog get ready for my leather boot to sink far into yrrr nether regions! This needs a latakia warning on the tin,it smells really great looks even better.You can smell the tobacco through these tins but I couldn't detect the taint, its been awhile since the last latakia attack. To me this had a medicine taste not unlike what mom gave you as a kid.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was everything described in the tobacco description. I was hesitant in trying this one as I am only an occasional smoker of Latakia blends. However, for me, it was just about right - not too strong and certainly not overpowering. Even though Latakia is the dominating factor, there is a certain something to it that I have never experienced with any other Latakia blend. I can taste what is called the "honey, fruit essence," the fruit being plum. It adds an underlying sweetness which is very complementary to the Latakia. Put the pipe down after smoking it a bit, leave the room, and re-enter a minute or two later - what a fantastic room note! It's a very unique Latakia blend. It may be a bit over the top for a handful of non-Latakia fans, but it is a very nicely blended tobacco. It does have a tendency to smoke a bit hot (even with sufficient drying), along with the nipping at the tongue that I experience with Latakia. I believe the majority of pipe smokers would appreciate its merits. Even though I am not a regular devotee of Latakia, I was pleasantly surprised enough to consider revisiting this blend on a regular basis.

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Delicious smoke when Latakia is combined with black cavendish, you can get the same blend using 50% Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian with 50% Mac Baren Black Amrosia.

nyelton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nyelton (2)

I like this one. It smells faintly like toasted marshmallows, but isn't too sweet. One of my new favorites. I think everyone should try this at least once.