Deep, Earthy and Creamy. A distinguished broken flake of Red Virginia tobaccos, small leaf orientals, and a measure of Cyprus Latakia, spiced with velvety cigar wrapper leaf. Key Largo develops throughout the bowl, offering a satisfying and sturdy smoking experience, with beautifully balanced, richly textured layers of cocoa, dark roasted coffee, leather, and a lively, lingering finish.

Notes: Key Largo was introduced in July, 2008.

BrandG. L. Pease
Strength
Taste

Yak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yak (2)

With food, there are different kinds of Good. A chef can probably please the greatest number of people with pizza, cheeseburgers and fried chicken. The further out on limbs he starts to go with recepies, the more people he's likely to start losing.

It's the same if he's a blender with the chops to do it and do it well. Putting out creations that expand people's horizons is fraught with a degree of risk. It isn't even so much that many pipe folk wouldn't like them if they suspended their expectations and gave them enough time and attention to "get" them as that, since they don't key a familiar "Good" response, they tend to get written off from initial disappointment.

As it comes across on this end, Key Largo is even more full of subleties than its predecessor, Embarcadero. It takes longer to adjust to and zero in on, it's more sensitive to the pipe it's smoked in (and how rapidly), and it has an even wider range of flavors within its basic taste profile. It just doesn't whomp you upside the head with something familiar and obvious like "cheeseburger."

Key Largo is pleasently dry, the way Embarcadero is. It has a similar thread of sweetness running through it that smoking it too rapidly can (similarly) obscure. Above all, it has a dark quality to its taste that can be a really refreshing change of pace.

Just made, it reminded me of forest loam after a rain. As weeks went by and it found the pipes it likes, it started showing flashes of its constituents. It surprised me at first that I couldn't find the cigar wrapper element in it, nor could four other people I compared notes on it with (all of whom have much more refined palattes than mine). It's only been with the mellowing effect that several months in an occasionally opened jar seems to have on a tinned blend and repeated, careful attention that the cigar wrapper element has shown itself as a discernable element in it along with the sweetness of the Virginia and the Latakia spicing the outermost edges of it.

Smoked so slowly and gently that it's on the verge of going out, Key Largo has as subtle an interplay of flavors as anything the Dark Lord's put out.

Only six months into the journey with it, there's probably a lot left in Key Largo I haven't managed to get to come into focus yet. But there's more than enough even so to keep me coming back to it.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Ooops, he did it again!

If there's one thing I can't smoke, it's cigars. Ok, I tolerate the occasional aged Toscano, but I really can't stand Cuban or Dominican ones. I truly don't care for that chocolatey, earthy, dull taste: I find it monodimensional and boring, not to mention heavy. Besides, most cigars are too strong in nicotine for me. I am famous for having stopped smoking a Partagas once after 5 minutes, because I truly disliked the flavour.

The same applies to cigar leaf pipe blends. So, I guess it's just my personal taste if I find Robusto exactly not my cup of tea, if I have never raved about Balkan Sobranie Virginian N. 10 (even 20 years old tins tasted boring to me!), and if the only one that I thought was actually OK is Banker's Mixture thanks to the low cigar content, the high Latakia and the good Virginia sweetness.

And yet, after a few disappointing and boring bowls with Key Largo (while I kept telling myself "told you so"), something changed and now I really like this new GLPease blend, which is starting to really grow on me.

Two big recommendations:

1) Smoke it slowly, as slowly as you can 2) Don't smoke it outdoors, as it's a subtle blend. No, it's not wimpy, but its main qualities lie in its subtleties

The cut in the tin is a VERY irregular broken flake, with pieces of very varied dimensions: from small, to impressively huge. It feels not moist, but very pliable, almost velvety at the touch. The tin aroma is moderately sweet with a touch of smokiness, and a great milk/coffee/cocoa powder creaminess.

And creamy is the right word to define the smoke, too. Never overwhelming, never harsh or with the bitter aftertaste that you can sometimes find in cigars. It's earthy, with damp autumnal leaves, but never too much. The sweetness is there, but very subdued and never dominant. Same for the Latakia smokiness and the Orientals grassiness. And the cigar leaf... well, it's at the same time tasty, juicy and never dominant. What makes this blend so special is how greatly balanced it is, how intricate the interplay between the various kinds of leaf goes on. And, most of all, the creaminess. Creamy, not thick. Smooth like velvet, again on unsugared milk and coffee with a sprinkle of cocoa on top. Tasty (IF YOU SMOKE SLOWLY!!!!!!!! Otherwise it tastes like hot air!) and yet delicate. It already feels very mature and well integrated even from a fresh tin, and I suspect it will become even better and creamier in time.

And the nicotine? Stronger than your average English Mixture, but still highly tolerable even for me in a group-4 sized bowl. By the way, I find Key Largo smokes better in a smallish pipes, and especialy in those which have a bowl bigger in depth than width (such as a lovat, or a classic billiard... and NOT a pot).

My congratulations, Greg: making me appreciate a cigar leaf blend is truly an achievement. It's IMHO much better than Robusto, with more finesse and much more balance. And I suspect the broken flake cut is much more suitable than a ribbon cut mixture for such a blend. Of course it won't become a regular in my rotation, but I'll gladly savour a bowl once in a while from now on.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The description of this product is very accurate. Normally, a little cigar leaf in a pipe tobacco blend is quite enough for me. If I want to smoke a cigar, I'll smoke a cigar. However, this blend is starting to make me rethink that attitude. It has a terrific cigar taste without it being a cigar, and yet, it doesn't overpower the other tobaccos. Earthy, very rich and creamy, and smooth smoking, with a touch of spice from the Oriental/Turkish component, the cigar leaf has delicious cocoa and coffee notes. The red Virginia flavor is rather subdued here, but it does add a slight sweetness and tang. The latakia provides a smokey, woodsy, cool amplification to the other ingredients that helps makes this mixture sing to your taste buds.

I really recommend smoking it in a wide bowl to experience the full range of its complexity. Burns slow, coolly, with few flavor changes along the way, and leaves virtually no moisture at the bottom of the bowl. A first class mixture for the veteran smoker or for a cigar smoker who wants to venture into the world of pipe smoking. It has a nice nic-hit, and though it's not an all day smoke, you may find yourself thinking about it while you're smoking something else.

Selah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selah (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Usually I am underimpressed by blends that attempt to combine several different categories, and label-blurb that tells me what to think.

This new blend by Greg Pease, however, is a pleasant surprise. Flakes with jagged edges in a spectrum of medium brown hues, with a fragrance that is both earthy and spicy. Not too humid, crumbles easily into the bowl.

It smokes very well, and is clearly related to the English style of tobacco. Neither the Turkish nor the Latakia trumpet their arrival, but they are definitely there. The cigar leaf is a somewhat subdued presence that does not dominate but stays at the corner of awareness. This is a good smoke. It is not strong, but not a weakling either. There is a remarkable lack of bite, even at the end of the bowl.

It did not particularly remind me of the old Balkan Sobranie number ten, which also had cigar leaf. For some reason John Cotton came to mind. This type of tobacco has not often been available, having more frequently been lamentably absent. There are smokers who will soon cherish this above all other blends. I have purchased all tins at the tobacco store - it'll be a while before anybody else gets some.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

The tin I smoked was dated sometime in 2009 (the date stamp was somewhat faded).

I have to disagree with some of the reviewers below. The cigar taste was, to me, in the forefront, along with the virginias. Next came the orientals, followed by the latakia. There is no burley mentioned on the tin, but assuming it is present, it melds so well with the cigar leaf that one cannot detect it as a discrete element.

This was a very satisfying blend. Nowhere near too strong, it may have been on the medium side of medium to full. The nicotene content was perfect in my view.

The earthy, sweet and smoky flavor was just bitter enough to be reminiscent of a nice cup of coffee. Sometimes a slight sharpness was present in the beginning of the smoke, but it smothed out by mid-bowl.

I found this to behave better when fully rubbed out, until it dried and mellowed sufficiently, and then I just stuffed it into my pipe. Even the dusty dregs in the bottom smoked wonderfully. Tongue bite was non-existent.

Perhaps my favorite Pease blend yet, and that's saying something. I will definitely revisit this one.

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is right up my alley. I like medium English mixtures, but enjoy the little extra some blends bring. My everyday smoke is Samarra, where the perique supplies a dash of flavor; now I can add Key Largo. The cigar leaf here provides the same type of extra dimension and rescues what could be a rather so-so English from blandness.

This tin was purchased immediately after the release of Key Largo in July. I've only had two smokes from it so far, but feel confident enough of my impressions to make a review. The cigar leaf is not overwhelming by any means, but is present throughout the smoke. The virginias are in the forefront, especially in the first half of the bowl, with the orientals and latakia very low key. Overall, a slightly sweet, dry, and pleasant smoke.

I don't rub it out, being an outside smoker, and had no trouble keeping it lit. Smoked slowly, it left a gray ash and a clean bowl. Definitely a keeper, and one that I think will reward the patient user after cellaring.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a beautifully prepared tobacco that burns very well with minimal bite. Flavor-wise, it comes across as basically a medium English blend with an elusive hint of spice that comes from the cigar leaf. The latakia isn't as powerful as the orientals or VA, which oddly enough don't provide the level of sweetness I'd normally expect from them. The cigar leaf is definitely noticeable, but I felt its presence more than I tasted it (if that makes any sense at all). Put another way, the texture of the smoke reminded me of what I normally encounter in a cigar, but the taste was that of a straightforward English mixture.

Key Largo is not complex, which is a big departure from most of the other latakia-based GLP blends I've tried. If you like the flavor (and I do) you'll enjoy it a great deal. If, however, you prefer the intricate layers of flavor that develop in some balkans or Vas, you might want to pass on this one. It does better (IMO) in small to medium sized bowls. It's got a respectable nicotine kick to it, but nothing too extreme for those of us who crave it.

Overall, I was favorably impressed but not blown away by this one. I'll definitely buy more, but I also don't have any plans to cellar more than a couple of tins of it. I think its most attractive characteristics are its smoothness and lack of bite compared to many other English mixtures, which means it could be an all-day blend for those who really like it.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is the best cigar leaf blend I have smoked to date. While other cigar blends out there aren't bad, they fail to capture the true essence of a cigar, not so with Key Largo. Key Largo offers a mouth full of flavor, the cigar notes are easily detected and intermingles beautifully with the oriental leaf. Latakia is used as a condiment and makes its presence well known on and off; you taste it at various points throughout the bowl but not always.

The pleasantness of the room note moght be a subject of much debate. I like strong tobacco notes and I love the smell of cigar smoke, I say that because the room note is that of a very fragrant cigar, and while pleasant to me it may likely draw criticism from those around you.

My favorite thing about this blend is the bitter taste others have mentioned, it's like drinking a strong cup of black coffee. I don't mean to say this blend tastes like coffee, it does not, it's just a poor analogy because I don't have another one.

One thing I noticed is that the blend needs some dry time. I hardly ever leave tobacco to dry before smoking it, I normally find most tinned tobacco to be at the perfect smoking stage. While this blend is not extremely moist, leaving out to dry for about an hour or so helps the flavors come through a little better and aids the lighning process.

I would recommend this blend to those who like strong tobacco, but you might find it too strong if you are used to the lighter balkans or stoved virginias.

ccwman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ccwman (6)

Wow! I love this mixture. It sings cigar leaf from the moment the tin is opened. Key Largo leads with the cigar and latakia with the Virginia's serving as base notes. For a flake its easily rubbed out and smokes very well. GL Pease description on this page is spot on!

Smoke is creamy to almost a salty/beefy (latakia) flavor to it. Key Largo has little in the way of nicotine, which is fine by me, either that or I'm so used to smoking full flavored cigars I'm immune to the nicotine emanating from KL.

I use this as my summer time smoke but I can and will smoke KL around the calendar when I want a beefier tasting blend.

I've tried other cigar leaf blends (Billy Budd, 123 Mixture) and nothing comes close to touching KL, truly a cigar blend.

ahutch71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahutch71 (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Really enjoyed this tobacco - I'm not a big cigar fan, but this has just enough cigar leaf to give the blend a little bit of "bite" (that's good bite, not bad bite...). There is also a bitter taste, which (as a black coffee drinker) I enjoy. Smoked most of a tin during a vacation at the beach in Florida while it was hot, and it was very pleasant. Purchased two more tins as soon as I returned - one to smoke, and one for the shelf.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Back when I began smoking a pipe I ordered Robusto, for the curiosity factor. I didn't have much experience with pipe tobacco, or cigars, for that matter. To me, it tasted like a straight English, and I admit to having a hard time understanding why blenders would add Latakia to a cigar mix. It seems that the Latakia would overpower the cigar leaf, which should be the showcase. But most cigar blends have Latakia, and I supposed the blenders had their reasons.

Revisiting the genre, I decided to sample Key Largo largely because it was a flake and thought I might have somehow missed the subtlety in those early years. Popping the tin of Key Largo yields a beautiful line of thick, dark slices, a scent deep with smokey notes, yet strangely sweet. The tobacco has a kind of silky-textured composition--soft, fragile flakes that fall apart as you pull them from the tin.

Since my earlier trial, I've smoked a few bundles of cigars in the mean while, and felt confident that I could place the leaf this time around. And yes, it comes through, loud and harmonious, but in no way competes with the Latakia, instead building on one another to create a different kind of English...perhaps this is the reason blenders have paired the two so frequently.

The addition of cigar leaf in Key Largo is much smoother than my own experimentation, which has always turned out very harsh smokes. Thinking I'd know better, my attempts would always begin by carefully lifting the wrapper from cuttings, and mix it in, sometimes with an English, but often with VaPers or Virginia/Oriental blends in such a way that the cigar leaf would stick out. I could never get the combinations to work, and began to suspect that the Latakia had a way of masking the leaf's harsher qualities, a conviction of which I'm now almost certain (this is why blenders dedicate their entire time to ridding the rest of us of our more ignorant inclinations).

Perhaps owing to the strength of the cigar leaf, Key Largo is rather strong, and smoking a No. 5 bowl will tend to muddle one's senses. Your experience may also play differently depending on one's mood and choices of previous blends smoked. A balanced English immediately before Key Largo may make the blend appear rough, accentuating the cigar leaf. This plays out with other blends as well, as Key Largo can be finicky with some combinations of smokes (try sipping the blend with an espresso--the two compliment one another beautifully).

In short, there is a rare skill in rendering a workable pipe tobacco blend with cigar leaf. It's a matter of finesse and subtlety that are difficult to quantify, as evidenced by the mass of failed attempts. As many have said, pipers shouldn't approach these mixes with the expectation of a cigar replacement, but rather, a reminder or glimpse of their allure. In my estimation, no other blend provides that experience better than Key Largo.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

This for me is a very interesting smoke, I am still working through a couple ounces of it, and I really enjoy it. I first tried this blend after having smoked through a tin of McClelland's Honeydew from the 221b series, and I found it to be an excellent follow up as for me I detected some similar flavors but with a bit more boldness. As a somewhat frequent cigar smoker, I found that the cigar leaf while definitely represented in this blend did not comprise the main entity nor did the latakia. For me this blend is very evenly balanced and delivers a wonderful interplay of flavors, I get a very peaty, mossy sort of taste out of it, and mostly pick up on the VA and burley that is present, while the Perique, Latakia and Cigar leaves for me take turns making appearances but only in hints and do not dominate the blend. This continues to be an intriguing blend to me and I recommend it over a book especially during the spring or early summer.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I keep waiting for Greg Pease to release a dud... It has not happened and sure didn't with Key Largo. What a delightful variety of taste sensations!

Pease is, as most pipe hobbyists know, a master blender who takes pride and care in his work. Key Largo is a shining example; creamy, a bit on the dark side, an easy burner and cool on the tongue and palate.

If a heavy cigar taste is what you are searching for then you better keep searching. You detect it, but only faintly in the background from time to time.

I may have had better tobacco... I just can't remember when.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (41)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Key Largo is not at all gimmicky but it is subtle, elegant and satisfying, albeit it is also "tobacco forward", like most GLP blends. The "cigar" thing is so well done that it transcends my original "concerns", earning a spot in my rotation, and plenty of cellar space, too.

The tin I am just finishing is 3 years old, and the VAs smelled aged and fermented when the tin was popped. Persistent sniffing turned up rather loamy Orientals, and these, along with "enough" of the right Latakia, seem to meld with the cigar leaf to present the "cigar notes", such as they are, in the tin, and scent-wise and taste-wise when KL is smoked. It lights OK right out of the tin, but it wants some attention if it's to stay lit, whether it's smoked tin moist or bone dry. I prefer it dried some, but not dried out. FYI, if the "ribbons" are rubbed out too much, the air hole can get clogged. Generally, KL wants - and deserves, and rewards - one's attention. Like Greg says, it "develops throughout the bowl", and I have noted that it becomes smoother and richer in ways that are unique in my experience while also staying very well balanced as it is smoked down. Though KL smokes rather dry, yet it is rich and full enough to make for an exceptional, "creamy" mouth feel, especially down the bowl. IMO, this special mouth feel greatly enhances the rich, earthy tastes and scents the blend pours forth. The spices are, in fact, reminiscent of a good cigar. Another reviewer basically recommended smoking KL in a narrow stack, and I concur; get it focused, and "on top of itself". I aim to finally get a small stack (or 2), just for Key Largo. It's hard to describe KL's transformation from medium to full tastes, but it remains so smooth that this may go unnoticed - until one lights up a bowl something else. Strength is stronger than medium, but not really strong. I love the room note; but it does contain Turkish and cigar leaf... KL should certainly be smoked in still air, indoors, if possible. One debit: it ghosts my pipes. In fact, I like to rest a pipe used for KL for at least 2 days before using it for KL again. However, DGT works fine with KL; go figure... Aftertaste is a delicious, lingering "best-of", only sweeter.

The way GLP blends and develops the tobaccos in KL into a proprietary cigar is genius, also one-of-a-kind. Old Dark Fired is vaguely similar; but this takes nothing away from Key Largo. I find it interesting, delicious and satisfying. But it is "different", all right, and I am not sure who else would like it as well as I do. I suspect that few will hate it, and more will find it OK while missing the best of it. No matter your first impressions, however, I recommend that you persist. Give it some time; age it; let it rest and breathe; and be sure to smoke a few bowls very slowly and attentively, in still air. Four stars from me, FWIW.

Update: Just got into a jar I meant to save, smoked down a group 4-5 bowl in 15 minutes. My! Another one for my favorites list. I like it fine fresh from the tin, but just a few months of "rest" and some slow drying makes it softer and even creamer, not to mention blissfully delicious. Now it is reminiscent of the best of the old, mild "Tampa" cigars of my youth, and it compares favorably to HH Old Dark Fired at its best.

Pipe Used: various briars; taller, narrow bowls preferred

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: HH Old Dark Fired (sort of...); also compares/contrasts to Solani 660 Silver Flake..

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

The tobacco flavor in this blend is much like a LIGHT English blend. There is certainly some complexity and it is highly nuanced--it manages to hold my attention throughout the smoke. It almost seems to display a different flavor range on every puff.

The Latakia in this blend makes its presence known immediately upon lighting, but then it quickly withdraws into the background contributing only slightly to the overall flavor and the side-stream aroma. (I frequently find that I enjoy Latakia more when it is used as a spice element, as it is in this blend.) I can smell and taste the cigar leaf in the smoke, but like the Latakia the cigar leaf is employed as a condiment. The red Virginias provide the structure for the blend and they contribute a hint of sweetness and body. The Oriental element is the mystery here—I can only barely taste and smell it, but I suspect that the Orientals serve to round out the edges while increasing the blend's complexity.

I absolutely agree with the tin description that this is a beautifully balanced, sturdy and satisfying smoking experience. The tobaccos in this blend go together very, very well thus earning 4-stars. This must rank as one of the BETTER GLP blends!

Pipe Used: Karl Erik Ekstavagants, Various "Foams"

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

i wasn't too sure whether to buy this as I was conflicted as to whether or not it was a ribbon or a broken flake. The site I bought it from said the former while here it is listed as the latter. I took the plunge anyway, hoping the listing here would be right. Thankfully, my faith was well rewarded.

Upon opening the drum, I was treated to a waft of something deep rich and of the earth. The tobacco itself reminded me of Sextant, those lightly pressed broken flakes look so delicate yet inviting, yet more light brown as opposed to Sextant's darker, almost black as they stared out at me. The flakes were dry and easy to rub out and pack, lighting was equally non-eventful, proving Mr Pease's moisture levels are right once again. The smoke itself is stunning, it really is something earthy and balanced, nicely changing. I'm not sure I can pick up the flavours described as such, though it's in that kind of league, dark, rich and sensuous. It is also an incredibly smooth smoke, no roughness or tonguebite.

I thoroughly enjoyed this blend even though I couldn't pin down the flavour. Perhaps it's physical likeness to Sextant might have helped, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if this is used as a base for it, or at least closely related in it's manufacture. This is almost the kind of tobacco I would expect to be handed around one of those dinner tables where folk pass round port and cigars after a good heavy dining session. I don't move in those circles which is probably just as well as I doubt like the company. That doesn't matter though, I'm a lot happier sitting here with this stuffed in my pipe.

Pipe Used: Straight Falcon with Algiers Bowl

Purchased From: Gauntley's of Nottingham

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (20)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have had several bowls of Key Largo over the last month and I really enjoy this smoke. The flavor is moderate on the Latakia and cigar leaf side and there is a hint of mocha throughout the bowl. The nicotine has a moderate kick and I particularly like to partake of this blend in a small meerschaum pipe. I've smoked a large bowl once and during the hour it took to contemplate my rear deck world the leaf almost overtook me. This is a great mixture and I highly recommend it.

utahpipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
utahpipeman (6)

I'm primarily a cigar smoker and my experiences with tobacco containing cigar leaf have always left me wondering why someone would smoke a cigar leaf blend instead of a cigar itself. Then I smoked some key largo. Wow! This blend isn't pretending to be a cigar, it's just adding another dimension to some great pipe tobaccos. Whether it is the pipe or cigars, I always like to find a somewhat sharp and pungent taste/aroma that makes me think of the sharpness in cheddar cheese. This tobacco has something like that, but it's deeper--like a blue cheese. The more I smoke it, the more I want it!

For no particular reason, I resisted Pease blends for a long time. That was dumb! This is a masterpiece that will give you a nice change of pace from your standard English or Balkan blends.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Tin Aroma: Very interesting and unique. It's got that sourish note of a freshly opened tin of Squadron Leader, along with an earthy, musty note that must come from the cigar leaf.

Appearance: A broken flake, still very much in flake form. Rubs out easily, and has perfect moisture out of the tin. Primarily medium-dark with flecks of brighter leaf here and there.

Flavor: This is an Academy Award nominee.

I am really enjoying this stuff! From the opening credits, there is a richness that hints of the best cigars I've tasted. To me, a great cigar is not just cigarish, it's also toasty, rich, complex and strong. Key Largo is like a rich, creamy cigar dressed with all the characteristics of your favorite pipe tobacco. Or is it a great pipe tobacco wrapped in the garb of a rich, creamy cigar? I'll have to talk to the wardrobe department about this…

As the actors take the stage, I notice the Oriental leaf first and foremost, astringent and sassy, but it's very smooth and not as tangy in my nose as those in the first four “full English” blends we've tasted. It certainly knows its place and does not hog the camera.

Next comes the Latakia, smoky and rich, adding that campfire character that will make this an incredible camping/fishing/outdoor smoke – next time I light the burn pile this will be my leaf of choice while tending the fire.

The Virginias balance the blend with a sweet richness that is foundational. The tin notes state that this blend uses Red Virginias. I'm not good at distinguishing the various types of Virginia leaf from one another in a blend, but I think the Reds add a little spice of their own, at least as compared to a rich, dark stoved Virginia.

The cigar leaf lurks to one side of the stage, never very strong, certainly never in the lead role, but also never fading into the background. It's always noticeable and is actually the star of the show. The cigar leaf gets the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. I would really like to try this blend with just a bit more cigar leaf, just to get a better handle on the specific cigar flavors.

“Spicy” and “rich” are good descriptors. There is the Oriental spice in my nose and my soft palate, and there is the cigar leaf that is not so much spicy as – well, earthy, just like in Pease's description. But this blend is also smooooooth. In my experience, smooth and spicy are often mutually exclusive, but Greg pulled it off here. The various types of tobacco play very well together, and although I listed them above in the order of appearance to my palate, yet it's sometimes difficult to distinguish where one leaf ends and another begins.

During the last third, the Oriental spice fades (but does not disappear), and the cigar leaf and Virginias vie for the lead role. To me, the mark of a great cigar is that it smokes flavorfully to the very last – in other words, a knuckle burner. Not many cigars do this for me, as I favor the richness and toastiness typical in the first half of a cigar. Key Largo is a knuckle burner.

My only regret is that I first tried this in one of my favorite English pipes and I'm now concerned about ghosting the pipe. I will be dedicating a pipe or two to Key Largo and Robusto. Obviously this blend is a great crossover for cigar smokers looking to get into pipes.

Like a movie that just flows beautifully, blurring the passage of time, this blend will help you while away your time with ease and panache. I have no idea what to expect from this stuff as it ages, but I'm confident enough in brilliant results to stash a stack of tins. One thing I know for certain – I'll be buying more!

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)

I guess in some sense, all tobacco blends are achievements to the extent the contents were not collected from the barn floor. Usually, the connotation of 'achievement' is something worthwhile, something to be appreciated, admired or respected. Key Largo is an achievement in the latter sense.

I've smoked the short strokes of stogies in pipes before. The result typically tastes like smoking Milton Berle's dentures combined with George Burn's nail clippings. Perfect human repellant.

I have enjoyed McClelland's Dominican Glory Maduro for years- a superior product, as genteel as Julie Andrews in a novice habit. But what expectations for a cigar blend with Latakia and Turkish leaf? Blessed are those without expectations for they shall not be disappointed.

Key Largo is what it is advertised and certainly not disappointing. It's effects on me are like being greeted at the door with a pipe, slippers and robe, giving all the comforts of an English blend with just a little something earthy and manly.

The cigar leaf is effectual and yet transparent. The Latakia is soooo soft it will convince skeptics that Latakia really does belong in a pipe and not on a barn floor. Virginias and the remaining orientals are barefoot contessas: regal, supportive and mild. This did well in small and large pipes, less v. more moist, and kept tamped after being lit.

Time to open my tins of Robusto, 123, Bankers and order samples of P&W Churchill and Peretti's Cuban Mixture, maybe even Havana Daydream, Billy Budd and Strike Force. I'm onto a vein and reenforced again with reasons why I like this hobby.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Another excellent tobacco from Mr Pease. A perfect blend to start the morning off right with a cup of joe. I went through a tin before posting to let my palette adjust. This blend is creamy, spicy, and sweet. The nicotene blast is strong at first. But, after a few bowls, I became imune to it.

I load this straight out of the tin in a jumbo bowl Savinelli Baronet I have dedicated to this and Robusto. The large flakes in these tobaccos burn nice and even in this bowl for a nice long session of "sipping".

Kapnismologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kapnismologist (30)

Predominantly dark thinly sliced and broken strips of pressed tobacco. The tin nose is rounded and earthy with the tale-tell aroma of Orientals and an underlying syrupy-nutty sweetness. Tinned rather moist, the thin slices are easily rubbed to taste and take well to a variety of pipes.

In the bowl, Key Largo burns like a dream, producing voluminous clouds of billowy smoke which are fresh and inviting. A friendly blend, it possesses nothing in the way of the rough edges one might expect given its component parts. In fact, everything falls into line so well here that, for this reviewer at least, it takes some effort to identify where the Virginias stop and the Oriental begins, where the cigar leaf sits as opposed to the Latakia, and so forth and so on. While the tin label touts its complexity, to this reviewer Key Largo is not an overly contemplative blend but rather simply a nice no fuss smoking tobacco that does its job dependably in a myriad of different situations.

Possessing a satisfying richness, the mouthfeel is creamy. Flavor notes fall in the middle range: coffee and cocoa, whole wheat toast and dark chocolate. A stout blend, it takes well to a variety of pipes and is absolutely bite free. The long finish is smoky and a bit nutty, with just a touch of sourness and spice, presumably from the Izmir leaf or cigar leaf, or both. Key Largo is a natural for summer weekends: gently packed into a favorite briar while lounging on the porch after mowing the lawn, or stuffed into an oversized cob clenched tight while tending to the barbeque pit in the back yard. As versatile as it is dependable, it gets the job done, plain and simple. I like this blend precisely because I do not have to think about it too much, remaining quite content to let it happily smolder away while concentrating on the task at hand.

Being a relatively new creation the tin on which the review is based is, obviously, something of a youngster (tinned in Nov. 2008, and opened in May 2009), and one wonders what might happen to it with age? We will see, for a small cache will certainly be making its way into this reviewer's cellar.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

One reason I don't post a review until I have smoked at least 2 oz. of a tobacco is that first impressions can be misleading. My first impression of KL was that it was wonderful. And so was the next impression and so on through every bowl of the initial tin. Loving every bowl is a rarity for me.

The tin appearance is of dark tobaccos in a broken flake. The tin aroma is of a mild English without the Cyprian Latakia standing out. KL benefits from a little drying out of the tin as do most tinned blends.

It is easy to rub out into a bowl that will burn with amazing consistency and coolness. As it progresses down the bowl, you get a dry, white ash.

The initial impression upon lighting is of an English that is not too dependent upon Latakia, that leans toward the Orientals but...with a difference. The cigar leaf, which I do think is noticable, adds a spicy element that ties the whole together harmoniously. The spice increases down the bowl to a satisfying conclusion for the English lover.

My only criticism is that the room note may not be for all. My wife, who likes the smell of Latakia, turns a mild thumbs down on KL. That being said, I like KL so much, I smoke it in the house anyway.

I don't generally do cartwheels for every Greg Please blend, but this one "got me" from the beginning. I'm loading up on it as it can only get better with aging as the cigar leaf continues to develop.

A strong coffee is a terrific companion for KL--it seems to bring out the spice. (I even got suckered into buying two Key Largo coffee mugs to enhance the experience! That's how much I like it.) In all, highly recommended and congratulations to the Dark Lord on hitting a home run with Key Largo.

Memsys Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Memsys (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I love this blend. The tin description is in complete agreement with my taste buds. Key Largo is an excellent blend that never bites and delivers a consistent taste. Since stumbling on is blend several months ago it has become my morning blend, goes great with coffee.

Do not let the Cigar leaf keep you from trying this blend. As others have commented, the cigar leaf does not dominate the tobacco but adds a rich creamy base.

Update 2012-12-25: I still smoke this blend daily. Every morning I pack up my old beat up Brebbia, grab my coffee mug and off to work I go. Great blend that is consistent from tin to tin and never fails to satisfy.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A friend of mine from the east coast sent me an ounce of Key Largo and said "have you tried this?" When I first loaded my pipe I had no idea what to expect because I am a true English lover and nothing else is in my tobacco rotation but English. I have always hated cigars and avoid them like the plague/

THIS STUFF IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! I can taste a hint of cigar leaf but only so far as to add a totally different feel. This was the alternative to the steady diet of english I was looking for. This will be an addition to the late evening smoke outside in the wild life viewing area this summer/ Creamy is the perfect word for describing this tobacco. PLEASE NOTE - THERE IS NO HINT OF TONGUE BITE IN THIS TOBACCO. I CAN ONLY ASSUME THE GENTLEMAN WHO SAID IT WAS SO BAD EITHER LOADED IT POORLY OR SMOKED IT TOO FAST.

THANKS MR PEASE FOR ANOTHER FANTASTIC SMOKE/

Archdeacon Grantly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archdeacon Grantly (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a generous sample of this from one of the Smokers Forum members (thanks, Bruce!). I had wanted to try it but GLP blends are not usually among my absolute favorites. I do like Charing Cross and Maltese Falcon very much, however.

Anyway, I didn't have high expectations, so I was very pleasantly surprised with my first bowl. I expected a stronger cigar flavor but that was not what I experienced. Frankly, if the tin didn't say something about cigar leaf I wouldn't have guessed it. It does have something extra and different than a typical English blend and this must be what I am tasting. The flavor was very rich and yet creamy and smooth. It goes very well with a cup of coffee.

If you are like me and like mostly English blends and were hesitant to try it, I would recommend giving it a shot. Definitely one I will now order.

I hate giving tobaccos 1 star just on GP. That being said, I'll give this one 2 stars. Another over priced BUST from Pease- AGAIN! There is nothing special or intriguing about this blend at all. A medium English with some cigar leaf added. Actually reminds me of McClelland's Dominican Glory Maduro with some Latakia thrown in. It isn't bad, it just isn't great. The original Bankers Mixture or 123 are great cigar blends. I actually love Abingdon and Mephisto, but this just did not make the grade. 2 stars for effort.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (33)

Opening the tin, the creamy earthy smell is very clear and satisfying, with a hint of lemon flavours. After awhile, the cigar notes also comes to the fore.

On first light, roasted coffee is evident with faint notes of leather. Definitely less Latakia / Oriental like the previous I've reviewed (Gas light, Westminster, Charing Cross), but enough to satisfy my Latakia / Oriental crave. Unlike many other Balkan / English blends, the sweetness in this blend is so subtle, you will be forgiven to think there is none. Just enough to balance the cigar leaf's bitterness.

As you go along minding your business while smoking Key Largo, the roasted cocoa beans comes through just to remind you of the subtle yet excellent balance of this blend. Midway through the blend, the roasted cocoa becomes a bit clearer but the earthy creamy textures as described stays with you - very nice! Another winner for my from Greg Pease!

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: Bari wiking

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I have had two friends send me generous samples of this. I am halfway through the second sample. I have really enjoyed this.

There is a tangy Virginia and some pleasant spicy orientals dancing with smoky latakia that comes and goes. The cigar leaf gives it body and an unusual quality even for a cigar blend. There is a whiff of slightly acidic, sharp black coffee that may be this cigar leaf. It is hard to describe, but it all works. It manages to be a medium-full flavor without being a powerhouse of any one thing. It is complex and not cluttered. The components work together really well.

Nice blend. Came in 2nd place on my list of blends with cigar leaf. Habana Daydream was 1st. This is a good smoke. Recommend trying it.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Thus far, I have not found the 'development' claimed by the packaging. Throughout the bowl, for me anyway, I can detect the cigar element and it seemed to get in the way of the VA and even the Latakia.

Somewhat creamy, yes. Earthy, yes. Somewhat. It just seems like the selections didn't combine to produce what GL claims. I could be wrong. But I've been through three quarters of the tin and I'm still waiting for it to round out.

Moist out of the tin, does require a good rubbing but rubs out well and is nice to work with. No gurgling and no bite and not too much moisture left over in the bowl at all.

I'll finish the tin but I won't be going back for more.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

Got a tin of this after establishing Havana Daydream as my everyday smoke. It comes a little on the moist side as is usual and needs a tiny bit of drying. I've loaded up by simply stuffing in the tobacco or by carefully rubbing it out: a good rubbing seems to enhance the flavor and burn rate. Doesn't need a lot of relighting. From my own experience and in reviewing other smokers comments, "cigar blends" will virtually never taste like cigar: if thats what your expecting you'll be disappointed. I'm a regular cigar man and frankly don't necessarily want my pipe tabak to taste like that anyway, but the added leaf gives this blend a hint of something more mysterious. It plays in the backround with orientals and latakia, while the red VA carries the lead. It does however, as the label says, seem to develop as it burns and the finish shows more of the backround leaf toward the end. Overall a nice medium strength blend with some oomph. I plan on keeping a tin around for a once or twice a week smoke. Recommended for those who want to try something with some character that doesn't seem to have anything other than tobacco taste: no hint of artificial flavoring here!

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Second blend in Heirloom I've sampled-Maltese Falcon rated a 4 star based off its subtle complexity (yeah I juxtaposed those two words, proving I ain't skeered) but this tobacco has no such character. I guess if I wanted to smoke a stogie, I'd pull an aged Padron or a Drew Estates No 9. It's my fault really-I didnt ntend to ever buy pipe baccy that tasted of cigar leaf. Too harsh. Quality leaf, broken flake with good English tin note, but the leaf-obviously not wrapper-dwarfs the other components to the point of bullishness. No pleasure derived here.

Mr. Pease has genius-I intend to indulge in many of his blends-Lord willing, but this blend is not for me. Second tin of tobacco i will have chucked this week, which is sad, as I haven't a budding money tree:)

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)

Tried many of the so-called cigar blends. None of them really taste like a cigar to me. You have to enjoy them for what they are. I ordered a tin of this and his Robusto blend some months ago. I wanted to smoke half the tins before review. I had first tried it in my briar pipes, and didnt think it very special. I later tried them in my cob pipes and liked it better. I thought robusto was good, but i like key largo more. I would give it another star if it were availible in bulk.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)

Smoking Key Largo puts me in a deep, contemplative mood, mainly trying to figure out how the mad scientist developed such a blend. Creamy? What makes it so creamy? How did he do this? And so on. I was mesmerized. I'll even compare KL to smoking a Romeo and Julieta cigar. I was in a state of bliss smoking it in the hot sun this Labor Day weekend and I even broke my own rule of reloading the same bowl over and over. Key Largo is near the top of the pile of cigar blends that I've tried (Storm Front being the best of blends with cigar leaf, although a different monster entirely).

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (76)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A beautiful full bodied smoke. The cigar taste goes away quite quickly and all the elements come together in unison to provide a lovely bold flavour. Will buy more.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

If you're gonna sample a cigar blend, this should probably be the one. Or, Purple Cow from C&D. Standard GLP English blend with what I believe is Connecticut shade? Cigar blend done right, but It's not anything over the top of what Greg has already done.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

Just like Bogey & Bacall.

The flavors are married so well that I had a bit of trouble pulling them apart. Which is not to say I thought this blend was monochromatic, just well put together. Sometimes the virginia base was more noticeable, but mostly the latakia / oriental / cigar leaf combo was in charge. Beefy, creamy, salty, very slightly sweet. I rub the slices out fully and usually let the resultant pile dry for about an hour beforehand. Nicotine definitely develops down the bowl, especially in a medium-to-smaller bowl. The cigar leaf shows up more in the finish, which is a nice touch but I wish it were more prominent in the profile.

A good blend that I have enjoyed and will continue to. Three plus stars.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice lat flake showcasing the added cigar leaf. Smokes cool and creamy and is very easy to get along with. Maybe a bit flat, but a nice change of pace smoke.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is an English blend with cigar leaf added on in broken flake cut, the tin description provided by the blender is accurate, the aroma from the tin is marvelous, while smoking, the taste is bitter, rich and very dark, the cigar flavor is detected mainly in the tin aroma and in the after taste realm.

Try this blend If you enjoy a hint of cigar flavor in the background of your English blend, however, to get a true Maduro cigar taste in your pipe I would recommend you to try S.G 1792 flake.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Like every Pease tobacco's, this is a high quality one. But, at the end..... it's unsmokable: raw, crude,inelegant, boorish. And Pease is a sort of illiterate blender. This cook uses quality and tastefull ingredients, but definitly he's inapt to assemble and amalgamate the ingredients. The result is......raw. Sorry Pease, you are discharged. You can smoke a Pease's blend a time a week.....and is very good. You smoke a Pease's blend two time a week.....and is goog. You smoke a Pease's blend a time in a day.....and is unpleasant. you smoke a Pease's blend all the day....and is nauseating. So.....if you are looking for an occasional good tobacco: try it. But if you are looking for a trusty partner....just flee from Pease!!!!

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I may upgrade to four stars, but for now, it's three. I found the start of the bowl to have a wonderful creaminess, with toasty flavors, in some ways similar to BBF but with more flavor and way way more creamy. Mid bowl the latakia started to take over and there was just a lot of flavor, heavy bodied smoke, still creamy, a bit of spice too. Frankly, I never got to the end of the bowl, the nicotine crept up on me, and I had to put it out. I'm a bit sensitive that way, and had smoked a bowl of Maltese Falcon right before, so it could have been either of those... but I also have a suspicion that the cigar leaf is amping up the nicotine. From my end, as someone who has smoked cigars for 15+ years, this blend has some of the attributes of a great cigar, but also many attributes of a great pipe blend. Nice cut too. A real masterwork. I must smoke more, and will.

UPDATE I tried letting it dry more, rubbing it out quite a bit, and smoking it earlier in the day. The result was a better burn with less perceived strength, but also less flavor. Still a three star smoke.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I must admit to being a bit disappointed with Key Largo when I first opened the tin and smoked a couple bowls. It was hard to keep burning, and seemed almost flavorless for most of the bowl.

Now, I absolutely LOVE Robusto (another cigar blend by Pease) so I was expecting something similar to that blend, I suppose. What I learned was, this tobacco benefits greatly from some air time before lighting up. After airing out a portion of the tobacco for about an hour, the level of flavor was markedly increased and the tobacco stayed lit very well. The difference from moist to dry is "key" when smoking Key Largo!

The tobacco burns slowly and won't bite even the most aggressive puffer! The first half of the bowl is creamy and tasty, but not a mind-blowing experience. The second half of the bowl is where the real fun begins. Suddenly the smoke becomes deeply rich and earthy with just a tickle of sweetness. A lot like the midway point of a dark cigar, though NOT exactly like a cigar. My only complaint is that the flavor can be somewhat one-dimensional (like a cigar), which leaves me searching for just a little more complexity. Key Largo has body and some strength which will leave you satisfied.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Hello,

I have been smoking this for a while now and at first I didn't know what to think. I have been looking for a blend that tastes like a cigar. This I have not found yet, but over time this has turned out to be a good tobacco. Well blended, many flavors, and stays lit easily. I highly recommend smoking this slow and in a pipe with a big bowl. That was my initial mistake. Once I shifted up it made all the difference. It doens't taste like a cigar, but the aftertaste does. Room note is ok.

I would say give it a try. I will review it again in a couple of months to see if anything changes.

Enjoy! Z

paintyouup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paintyouup (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This G.L. Pease blend was a surprise for me. The addition of cigar leaf added a bit of class to this blend and for my personal taste, the bitterness was not present. A smooth creamy smoke that was one of the coolest I have smoked in a while. A must try for those who are contemplating.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

Two and a half stars for Key Largo, but I am giving it the half star because it is a Pease tobacco. He is the master.

Pros are that this is a medium English tobacco which is generally my favorite type, plus it has cigar leaf which I love in some blends. This one has a creamy flavor and doesn't bite even when puffed hard. Con, and a deal breaker for me, is that there is an underneath bitterness that I just don't like. There are too many good English and/or cigar leaf blends for me to keep this one in stock.

I am aware that others might enjoy a little more of the bitter flavor, a somewhat different smoke and just like tobacco with good leaf, so I won't downgrade it. Try it for yourself.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)

This one is easy. Key Largo lives up to its tin description in spades for me. I'm sure it will get even better with age.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

This is another one of those easy reviews. Read the tin description, it's spot on! This blend tastes great, it's rich and creamy, beautifully balanced with richly textured flavors, dark rich earthy flavors with a long lingering finish.

And that's why I will never buy another tin. That damn long lingering finish is impervious to food, brushing, mouthwash and time, just forget about it, it will be with you at least until the next day.

SOAP BOX TIME, Even though I will never buy another tin, I gave it a strong three+ stars, why, because it tastes good and it delivers! It delivers what the tin says it delivers, including that long finish that I didn't like. I point this out because I see many aromatics get one or two stars because the reviewer will buy a blend that claims to be aromatic, or mild & sweet, states it on the tin, and then, that same reviewer will give it one star and claim " I smoke Latakia blends, I don't like aromatics" or "This blend is mild and sweet, it's for little girls"

Well, we now know it's not for RETARDS !!! Why did you buy it !

I'm Sorry. All I'm trying to say(IMHO)is, judge an aromatic as an aromatic, judge a Balkan blend as a Balkan blend, an English as an English.

It's the Right thing to do!

P.S. Oh ya, I forgot the best one of all, no no really, someone wrote this, "I really liked this blend, it tasted great. But I could never give an aromatic more than two or three stars". What in the hell does that mean? Who are these people? There are all types of quality blends out there, and there are bad blends in every genre from english to aromatic. Judge them for what they are.

OK, I'm done. I'm sorry.

19volks71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
19volks71 (9)

Another win in my book for the Pease blends. It is just as the tin describes. This one is not nearly as bold as other GLP blends I've tried, with not nearly as many things going on in each puff. My favorite part about this blend is its secret weapon: the cigar leaf. Its flavor has an ebb and flow to it that really gets me hooked. All said, Key Largo is very sophisticated without being as loud as some of the other great blends from this company. Less is more here with the spotlight tracking the cigar leaf as best it can. Great at night to keep your mind off the cold, and great in the morning to supplement your caffeine intake with a helping of nicotine.

Rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustica (16)

I enjoy VA, VAPer. and English blends as well as cigars from the likes of Rocky Patel, Arturo Fuente, and Don Tomas. I was very excited about smoking this blend as the tobacco combination with cigar leaf sounded like a very rich smoking experience. I smoked this tobacco in a Lorenzo medium bent pipe and the tobacco was at an OK moisture level out of the tin. The tin aroma was very earthy, slightly fermented virginia with just a hint of latakia. This carried on exactly the same throughout the smoke with the occasional hint of cigar leaf if I exhaled the smoke through my nostrils(is that wrong to do?) The latakia comes out as more sweet than spicy and, along with the cigar leaf, is very subdued as the virginias and orientals dominate the blend with a pleasing spicy, earthy sweet interplay. Definitely has the complexity and noticeable nicotine content that is key for my enjoyment of most blends. The only complaint I have that causes me to reserve the fourth star is that no matter what time of day or what pipe I choose, this blend has an annoying licorice-like aftertaste about 2/3rds into the bowl. Wonder if anyone else noticed this or if its just my personal taste. Will try more Pease blends as this has been my first and I was very impressed with the quality of tobaccos used.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)

First review! G.L. Pease is generally a good English blend supplier. Key Largo (recomended to my by my tobaccanist) was an experiment that I enjoyed. When I had first tried this, I had not switched to English blends completely yet. The strength is pretty controled and the taste is wonderful. I would recomend, however, that you sip on this blend. The taste kicks too much when it is pushed. All in all, this blend would be recomended to any English blend lover to be put in a rotation. I would not recomend this as an all day tobacco, but that really depends on your own taste.

ProdigalWeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProdigalWeb (18)

I departed from my "game plan" to smoke my way through all of Greg's blends in the order they were presented on his web site. I have been reading a lot about flake and broken flake blends and decided to give this one a try next. It is going to have a place in my rotation of tobaccos and may even become one of my regulars.

For the first bowl I smoked, I took a couple of flakes and folded them in half horizontally. Then I sort of rolled the result into a tube more or less the diameter of my pipe bowl. This worked but will take a lot more practice until I get used to it. I was concentrating so much on the mechanics of keeping it lit that I couldn't concentrate on the experience itself. For the next several bowls, I rubbed out a bunch on a sheet of paper and have been smoking it this way. This was much more satisfactory for me.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? This is definitely not an English blend, but it has all the charm of one. There is just enough Latakia in the blend to establish the mood, but the orientals and the cigar leaf give it the individual character that makes it stand out from the crowd. As my technique with flakes improves, I look for this blend to be a special treat but probably not my regular blend.

It is a lovely smoke.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

It's a quality leaf, but too young. The cigar leaf is distinctly noticeable and lends an intriguing spice to the flavor, but it doesn't dominate, which is good. You can taste all the nuances, it's tangy, smooth but not quite creamy, and feels good going out my nostrils; but though the elements that comprise the flavor are very nice, the whole is not greater than the parts. (Plus it's one of those blends that dries out my throat.)

There are definitely things I like about this blend. It's a nice english blend with cigar leaf added, perfect for the right palate, I suppose, but though it's nice it's not great. Only two stars for now -- I expect some aging will help make this really come alive.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very nicely accomplished mixture. Similar blends are usually dominated by the cigar leaf strong presence, but this ones achieves a rarely found balance with Virginias and Orientals, with Latakia staying in the background, although being always noticeable.

I give it 3.5 stars, only because most of the times I end up with a rather bland 1/3 of the bowl.

Gun Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gun Smoke (15)

This is one of two Pease blends in particular that will age extremely well - the other being Union Square. There is no doubt that cellaring this for at about 5 years will bring it very close to being sublime.

To me, the cigar leaf is very noticable - and that is a good thing. Its presence adds a completely new dimension to Pease tobaccos. Apparently this is Mr. Pease's only foray into cigar leaf blends, and I must say, the result is quite interesting.

Key Largo smokes easily, stays fairly dry in the bowl, and requires only slight attention. There is simply nothing to offend. I do feel however that this blend is rather light and "whispy" which is not a negative at all. In fact, its light mouth feel and subtlety would make this a great after breakfast smoke. The smell in the tin is like heaven, and the broken flake is just fabulous. My goodness, you almost want to eat it with your grits and dunk it in your coffee ( yeah, I'm Southern ).

The latakia content is much too light, and I only wish Mr. Pease had added more of it. On the other hand, if the latakia were "ramped up" it would probably overpower the cocoa notes of the cigar leaf; which in retrospect is the star attraction as far as condiments go.

You may want to consider dedicating a pipe to this blend in order to realize the nuances of Key Largo. I would also suggest trying it first in a tester pipe or a corn cob, as I feel it may leave a slight ghost in your everday pipes.

If you are searching for a light blend, or a morning smoke that would replace Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, then I would recommend this blend without reservation. A solid 3 stars.

Note

Early Morning Pipe and Key Largo have little in common and DO NOT have the same flavor profile. I only compare the two as a means of finding an "after breakfast" style smoke.

I hope that you have enjoyed my review.

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Ok... I'm sure you've all been wondering whether the heartburn issue was resolved by aging. I'm pleased to announce that it has; yesterday (23 January 2011) I opened a tin that was sealed 18 July 2008. I am currently smoking my second bowl of Key Largo from this tin; I am enjoying it thoroughly and have experienced absolutely no heartburn whatsoever... I have no doubt that most of you are happy, if not downright ecstatic, to learn this. If you're not, I at least I'm ecstatic that I had enough foresight to cellar a second tin of Key Largo, also dated 18 July 2008. And so the tin I am currently smoking had two years, six months and five days "age" on it when I opened it yesterday. If it is this good with two and a half years aging, I wonder how good it will be with five to seven years... probably phenomenal. Mr. Pease remains my favorite blender; every blend of his that I've smoked has been just about exactly as he describes.

//Original Review 05/13/2009// Well, I loved this tobacco... unfortunately it did not reciprocate. I thoroughly enjoyed the rich Red Virginia, the hint of latakia and the occasional subtle taste of cigar wrapper leaf. However, each time I smoked it I developed horrendous heartburn. Some blends do this to me and I've never been able to pin down that specific element that brings the heartburn on. I can and occasionally do enjoy cigars on their own; my favorite pipe blends are the heavier English / Balkan mixtures (I can smoke C & D's Pirate Kake all day) and I very much enjoy the various manifestations of Virginia/Perique as well as straight Virginias such as Sam Gawith's FVF or BBF. None of my favorite blends give me heartburn and I was very much looking forward to establishing a deep and abiding relationship with Key Largo. Indeed, my first bowl started out fantastic - I thought "Oh man, this is gonna be great!" After about five minutes the heartburn started... however I stubbornly finished the bowl (after chewing down several Tums). Next day the same story and the day after that, etc. and each time it seemed as if the heartburn began quicker and became more painful. So I gave the rest of the tin to a friend who is not experiencing any problems at all... he loves it, as well he should, for it is an excellent blend. I have three tins of Key Largo that I've cellared; Lord willing I'll open a tin once it's got a year on it and see if a bit of age has destroyed or at least diminished the heartburn element.

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

This blend is only for those that like cigars. It has the base foundation in a typical English Blend but with the addition of cigar leaf. I really didn't care for this blend as it had a very nasty aftertaste and mouth feel. Give me wicked tongue bite something terrible. The only reason I am keeping it, is that it was a gift, also...there are those times when I crave a cigar. I bet it would improve with some cellaring.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

It's good - I just prefer PipeWorks & Wilke's Churchill

Stevelouchicago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stevelouchicago (1)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great change of pace for the English blend smoker. The Virginias and the Latakia blend well together and then to keep it interesting... the cigar leaf kicks in and a new dimension comes through. Well worth a try and definitely part of my rotation.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

What is there left to say after Yak and Beer's great reviews.

Bravo Mr. Pease, bravo!

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)

Key Largo is a smooth and satisfying smoke. It does develop quite well and the ingredients are mixed very well. The cigar leaf seems to take the back seat to the smoke but I can tell it's there. The cigar and orientals go very well together while the latakia and virginia add a nice balance. The little added flavor from the cigar leaf is a welcome change to most of my smokes and is very nice.

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I thoroughly enjoy good blends with cigar leaf. Russ Oulette's Strike Force and Churchhill from Pipeworks and Wilke are excellent examples. Key Largo just doesn't cut it. The harsh, hot, raw, red Virginia dominates. It does develop somewhat, and as edges smooth you can detect a bit of cigar wrapper, and a bit of unique spice from the Orientals. But in all, this is disappointing. If any reader of this review is interested in trying good blends containing cigar, go with the above recommendations, and avoid Key Largo.

UPDATE: I wanted to revisit this as I struggle through 2 oz. I've decided I just can't waste any more precious smoking time on Key Largo. Not good for me at all.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

I don't normally like cigar leaf in my pipe tobacco. I don't normally like anything in my pipe tobacco with the exception of pipe tobacco.

I like this.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It is surprisingly dry tobacco, so it tastes so ? probably because of cigar leaf. Key Largo has intentions to be serious blend, without any surprises in flavouring, so it is good for evening pipe after fine dinner.

cigarman43035 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarman43035 (15)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am not normally a Latakia smoker but I thought I would try peases blend because i enjoy what they do with virginas! The tobacco stays lit with no bite. I am normally a aromatic smoker or i smoke Virginias and wanted to give a english type smoke a try! I didn't like the flavor much when I lit it because it was smokey(tasted like firewood) So I added some Rumcake from pipeworks in it to add a rum sweet flavor and now this tobacco is great! So if you are a aromatic smoker add some of your favorite aromatics to it and smoke it you might like it! The smokey flavor is good now!

*as i continue smoking this blend I see I like it alot! The spiciness kicks in and the sweetness of the Virgina! I did not mix the blend with the Rumcake I only put it on top! My wife said it smelled like smores. After the rumcake burnt off i got the blend pure again and found that it only has a touch of Latakia, not bad at all!