Sweet Virginia, and a little Maryland, gives this blend a profound flavor with a touch of precious Oriental for a soft tangy flavor. This is complimented by a hint of Cyprian Latakia and Perique. If you like Virginia's or a light English blend, then this is a wonderful all day smoke.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
ContentsLatakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Jesse's Own is an interesting tobacco—a sort of dog's breakfast blend of Virginia, Maryland, Orientals, as well as dashes of Perique and Latakia. I received a sample-sized serving from 4noggins a few months ago, a generous gift for sure. I only wish that I liked it better.

There are problems with Jesse's own and the main one is the general lack of integration of the constituent tobaccos. The other problem is that there are much better tobaccos of this type available in tins that I'd prefer to smoke. Jesse's Own is built on the model of Dorisco Mixture or the work of genius that is DAN's Midnight Ride. In both of those tobaccos, however, there is better integration of flavor and also much more strength. This is sort of a soft, sweet, innocuous version—an all day Ride.

I suppose the mildness may be seen as a big positive for someone looking for a gentle smoke that straddles the fence between a very mild Latakia mix and a VaPer. But admittedly, I'm not in the market for a tobacco like that.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pouch note is decidedly a sweet English, but with an undercurrent of an herbaceous, maybe even a sweetened tea note.

Scooped and finger tamp, followed by match, tamp, then another match - this time in my Edward's Bent Bulldog.

Char and initial light, this has a fantastic sour apple tartness, and a musty perfume from the oriental and latakia playing nicely together. The sourness seems to be softened somewhat by the savory characteristics of the oriental and lat. Snork reveals much more of an English character, which as the bowl warms becomes more and more prominent over the sweet and sour Virginia notes.

Room note was pleasant, and the nicotine strength was comparable to other light English - very much a tame pussycat.

Pipe Used: Edwards Bent Bulldog

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Early Morning Pipe.

oregonpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oregonpipe (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Jesse's Own came as a sample in an order from 4 Noggins. I actually had this blend in my short list to try so this was a nice happenstance! There is quite a list of ingredients in this blend so you can anticipate some complexity of tastes, and you wouldn't be wrong.

The best way I can describe Jesse's Own is a well thought-out, very light English. Very light on the Latakia. So light that the smokey campfire taste you'd expect smoothes out to a nice cedary flavor. The Orientals dominate and really provide some excellent and varied flavors. VAs come out and add occasional sweetness. Sitting back and really concentrating on a bowl-ful is really the best way to get the most out of this blend. Cedar, sometimes maple, a dash of cocoa. Seems the flavors change with almost every puff. This is really an excellent blend of quality tobacco. My only reservation is that it is too mild for my personal tastes. That's not to say it doesn't have its place on my shelf.I think it would a knock-out warm/hot weather smoke, when it's so damn hot out you really don't feel like a good heavy English or even a dark VA flake. Paired with a cold lager or pilsner, or even a gin and tonic..... might be just the thing. But out here in the Pacific Northwest we just don't get those days too often. Certainly not year-round. So this would be a seasonal smoke for me. I may just have to put a little back for those days.

JO is a very nice, quality blend. A tad too light for me everyday but a good solid 3-star light English.

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Well, mild is an understatement with this blend. I think those who enjoy more air and less smoke will appreciate this Oriental laden blend. Nice flavor if you can find it. Easy burn and a variety of flavors do come through if you concentrate.

barhar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
barhar (1)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I just can't seem to find any flavour at all in this blend. The pouch-smell is nice enough, with a light touch of Latakia and an almost almond-like sweetness. However, it arrived to me very wet, and i tried to air it out some 45 minutes before stuffing my first pipe with this. However, it just turned into a steamy mess that tasted vaguely of cigarettes. I felt I had to dump it after some 20 minutes to refrain from puffing to hard and burning my tongue. Having some experience with other flat-tasting tobaccos from 4noggins, and the way they bloomed with more drying time, i left my next ration out over night, and although it helped with the steam, it surely didn't do anything to the flavour. The Virginias had no tang or sweetness, the Perique has no peppery burn, there is no spice or creamyness from the Latakia or Orientals, and certainly no nicotine either. Just a faint, flat taste of Camel cigarettes. By the end of the bowl, i did however detect a small, pleasant perfumed leatheriness resemblant of the base notes in Miss Dior perfume.

I have experimented with several different drying times since, and still have found almost no flavour in this. If it's an all day blend, it sure is a really boring day to look forward to.

I still will not knock this tobacco totally, as it might click into place in a different pipe or with yet another drying time, but as of now I just cannot recommend it.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This delicate and slightly sweet English, is well balanced.

I think its value is the harmony, never a false note in the smoke, but great satisfaction.

Another slight mixture to start a day in the English style.

Recommended to anyone!

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)

This blend has grown on me the more I smoke it. It packs easy, burns clean and the flavor is not overbearing. Nothing clashes here, just a good smoke from early morning to late night. Nice Job Rich! Highly recommended!

Update 10/15/2010 This blend ages very well and becomes richer and fuller after a year!!

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)

I've never met a blend I didn't eventually like.

Jesse's Own came through in the mail from Richard about a week back. I started trying it out in various pipes, and nothing happened. Like an extremely mild version of John Patton's Storm Front. I puffed and puffed in pipe after pipe and still got the same inoffensive, tedious taste of virtually nothing.

Worked through the pipe collection and pulled out a very small-bowled Grabow. Deciding to give Jesse's Own one last shot I fired it up and encountered a whole new experience. I would call it an American Oriental, if such a thing is possible: slightly aromatic, still very mild, with a strong Turkish presence. The Latakia is in the background and almost unnoticeable.

Ran this tobacco through an old Rocky Briar and got the same thing, only with more Turkish and more of the rather sweet flavour, which may be the Virginias.

Whatever the combination, this blend is a marvellous mixture of leaves in proportion, and is a welcome, light change from the heavier balkans I usually smoke. Richard has a very light touch with Latakia, but really understands orientals. Definitely part of my rotation.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

I find this tobacco fairly boring. It is not too sweet, but is somewhat sweet. It definitely has a lot of Virginia but it doesn't represent a lot of flavor, just some body. The latakia is present but doesn't add much. My sample didn't want to dry out as easily as some others, seems to have a lot of PG or possibly more casing than I'm accustomed to. Even with some drying time, I found the mixture a bit irritating to the mouth.

For me, there are many other mixtures I'd rather smoke that mine this territory more successfully. From this same blender, I'd rather have Chipman Hill or Britt's Balkan.

dryfly11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryfly11 (8)

Outstanding mixture!

This is one of the very few tobaccos which I could smoke all day long (unfortunately I can only smoke 2 bowls a day). Jesse's Own is an English Mixture with a special - natural - sweetness which sets it apart from other classic English (e.g. Squadron Leader). The best words to describe this mixture is perfect harmony of all ingredients! Just the right amount of Latakia, Orientals and Perique. High quality tobacco! A masterpiece of Rich Gottlieb!

5 stars!!!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

Rich Gottlieb has done a masterful job on this blend. It is perfection for those like myself who want a light satisfying English, without the heavy latakia presense. Nicotine is not my drug of choice and fortunately, this blend does not deliver. This is a mixture of finesse instead of strength. A great all day smoke, or for people like me, an evening pleasure. Perfect as a friend for contemplation and tranquility. It burns evenly and stays cool to the bottom of the bowl, leaving a fine white ash and no residue. The room note is on the pleasant side of p/t. It also DGT's exceptionally well, so you can enjoy it to the bottom of bowl.

Rich has used the latakia sparingly, to produce a different kind of English. One in which Maryland is used to create some sweetness, while the orientals and perique seem to play off each other, creating a nice spicy note on the tongue. This is the taste that keeps me puffing contentedly and coming back for more.

The quality of leaf used in this blend is exceptional. No bulk taste here. You'll think of EMP, Squadron Leader or Skiff, but far lighter on the latakia. Jesse' Own uses more orientals plus the addition of a little perique instead.

The best word to describe this blend is harmony. Most blends never attain that. One tobacco or another seems to overtake the others. Only mixtures that achieve this harmony or balance are worthy of 4 Stars and this is one of them.

There is joy in my pipe again. Get some now and thank me later.

Update: This is my third update of this blend. I finally figured out how to enjoy it. Firstly, it needs three months to meld, as it is blended when ordered. Secondly, it needs drying for a couple of hours, a little at a time.

Feb.10/10 Update: Recently received another pound of this lovely mix. I called Rich to compliment him on the quality. He informed me that he tries to have 10lbs ageing at all times,for at least three months. The ageing not only melds the mix, but dries it out too. Thanks Rich.

Update: I have decided to lower my rating to 3 stars because of the humectants, which adversely affect my smoking pleasure.

Dave R Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave R (3)

This is not a blend that I would have ordered as I have never heard it mentioned before anywhere so this is one of those happy accidents that occur once in a very long while! I received some as a sample with an order from Rich and two and a half bowls into it I had ordered another half a pound. Simply wonderful and one of the times when the blenders description is spot on. Even more surprising for me because English blends are usually a very small part of my rotation. To me this one has a unique taste that keeps you going back bowl after bowl. Great lighting and burning qualities, arrives at exactly the right moisture content for smoking (although it tastes superb in the pipe before it's even lit) and has absolutely no bite whatsoever. Just as it says in the description, this is a wonderful all day smoke. This being the first 4Noggins bulk blend that I have tried makes me wonder what other treasures he has hidden in there. I now have another pound of this fine blend in my cellar and will continue to order more. Highly recommended.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)

I'm not a Latakia smoker, so I'm hardly qualified to judge a classic English style blend -- much less what many would call a "full" English blend (because of the presence of perique.) I'll just say that this is an altogether pleasant ribbon-cut tobacco with good balance, no bite, and fine packing and burning properties. Two matches takes you to the bottom leaving only dry, whitish ash. A delightful, moderately tasty, and un-fussy smoking experience.

For me it will be only an occasional smoke, but I can well imagine that many English blend smokers would consider this an "all day smoke" as the promo at the top of the page suggests.

My palate is not tuned to explore this blend's subtleties, but I can say there's nothing here to gripe about. It is a well crafted, quality English style blend that may have to come down a bit in price to get noticed amid the myriad of similar blends being marketed.