A wide cut, hearty Burley with the essence of fresh Maple, blended with enough St. James Parish Perique to give it an aged sweetness with a slight hint of spiced raisins. Easy to smoke, it is the perfect all day baccy that won't assault your taste buds.

Brand4noggins
FlavoringMaple
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The perique is mostly a condiment, but the spicy, fig and raisin tones are noticeable. The burley is high quality, and has a nice, light cashew, molasses flavor. The maple topping is rich, and I find it dominates the other flavors somewhat. The nic-hit is very mild. Wont bite or get harsh even when pushed. If you dry it some, the burleys are a little more noticeable to your taste buds. It burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very consistent, smooth flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and doesn't need many relights. The after taste pleasantly lingers a little. It passes the wife test, but if you're on a diet, smoke it before you have your morning eggs and toast, and you won't need any pancakes!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Rich Gottlieb needs more credit as a blender. This is an absolutely superb offering for those who want to enjoy a unique combination of Perique and Maple. Spicy yet sweet and a biteless all day smoke that packs a delightful punch due to the quality Burley. Not much aromatic essence and a full tobacco taste. Four stars all the way!

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (21)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The great thing about 4noggins aromatics is you can taste the tobacco. It is not a heavy wet overpowering flavor. This blend has a light maple taste however the sweetness of the tobacco comes through. The room note is great and I can pickup the maple there. This is a good somewhat complex smoke.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I recently finished a generous sample of this I had received a while back. It wasn't till I read some of the reviews that I even knew there was any perique in this blend. Needless to say, I did enjoy this blend. So much so, that I purchased some more to jar and cellar before I finished the sample.

This is one of those blends that summons yester year to me. A burley with a soft aromatic topping. It reminds me of PA, SWRA and CH. In other words this is a drugstore burley, that is well done. It comes rather moist in the bag, but burns fine with no goopiness left behind.

I read some reviews where it was stated that this was a biter. I did not find this to be bitey at all. I believe the use of Perique is a credit to the gentle nature of this blend.

The taste, to me, is certainly maple and some liquer type essence. Probably a rum. It is a unique taste to be sure. I would say the topping is pretty mildly applied and does well to accentuate the natural nutty sweetness inherent in the burley.

A very well done blend. 4 stars.

The perique is subtle, but it does keep the underlying tobacco interesting. The maple is also mild, and could mostly be found in the first quarter of a bowl. This is no goopy overly-sweet aromatic, but a mild, fairly flavorful blend.

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: 4 noggins

4noggins - Essence of Vermont.

A dark brown, slightly coarse, mixture that's a little moist to the touch when fresh. From the pouch's aroma there's no argument that this has a sweet topping.

Of the tobaccos it's the Burley which is running the show, the Perique is much lighter: it adds a subtle seasoning. The topping comes across as definite, albeit not at all heavy; I wouldn't go too low on the flavour rating, but it is NOWHERE near being sticky/gloopy. The temperature from Vermont is cool, without a bite in a bowl. This is seldom in need of a re-light.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

A blend that deserves a recommendation:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: 4noggins

I picked up some of this weed more than a year ago and for whatever reason I wasn't all that fond of it. I came across it this weekend in the cellar and I'm so glad I didn't toss it out. Given the fact that this is mainly a Burley blend, I doubt the time in the cellar added much to the quality. This is a fine tobacco. It is an aromatic, but the burley flavor is forward, well ahead of the casing. The perique lends a nice light spice to the mix, but those that are not fond of perique shouldn't worry as it's added with a light hand. This blend is only mildly sweet and there is plenty of tobacco flavor to be had. It burns nice and dry and could be an all day smoke for Burley lovers and those that enjoy light aromatics without Cavendish. If you are looking for a “full on” American style aromatic, you may want to seek out other maple blends. Highly Recommended.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I think you could mix every one of the 4noggins blends together and come up with this blend. Seems to me they keep using the same tobacco and just add various flavorings to it. You just can't sink your teeth into any of the blends I have tried so far. Sorry to be a curmudgeon...

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: 63

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (24)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As far a maple flavored aromatic this is a nice smoke, but it will bite.

Pipeworks & Wilke's Vermont Maple Cavendish offers more maple tast without any goop, and I think better tobaccos, and totally free of bite.

Two stars

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (22)

I first bought two ounces of this blend in late 2011 or early 2012 from 4 Noggins. I first tried this right out of the bag through a new corncob and didn't get satisfactory results. I decided to let it sit for a half a year and then tried it through a vintage Ropp and still didn't get anything but an overpowering Cigarette taste. I was very interested in finding a quality maple smoke and so far have been disappointed. I don't get anything but a cigarette taste from this blend and if I wanted to taste cigarettes I'd drive down to the corner store and pick up a pack. Its contents are listed a burley and perique but I can't see how this doesn't contain Virginias. May revisit this in the fall in a long stem considering I still have nearly 2oz. On the bright side, 2 stars since I've tried far worse.

Pipe Used: Corncob, Ropp

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)

An interesting maple aromatic burley blend. The aroma is delightful with modest, nothing like ordinary aromatic blends. Burley is out-front note with subtle, ancient-incense like perique in the background. It will get hot and even a little bity if you puff hard. Great room note even my wife agrees. Smoking it in car never gets you trouble. Worth a try!

Pipe Used: corn cob

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I evaluate this as an "intermediate" tobacco, not sweet as an "aromatic" (aromatized) tobacco (ex. Cavendish) bu not "pure tobacco taste" neither a classical English Mixture. Resuming, is Interemediate between and English Mixture and a "Pure Tobacco" but also have traces of sweetness. The manufacturer classified it as natural aromatic. It is sweet, but have a slighly bitter taste, flavour, may be due to the Perique presence and to the Burley, classically known by their bite taste. Interesting Tobacco, very different. Bite and Sweet together and is wet in an appropiate ammount, bu not burns slowly. The Maple scent is clearly recognized mainly in the room note. Recommended.

Drumdude06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drumdude06 (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I prefer Va/Per then English/Balkan blends for the most part, but I do enjoy aromatics from time to time. This aromatic is really special and is my favorite aromatic blend. The maple flavoring is really enjoyable, and the slight amount of Perique adds a very nice touch that takes the blend beyond a normal aromatic. This blend has definite raisin, maple, and dried fig tastes that add sweetness to the blend. There is also a slight amount of spiciness provided by the extremely light touch of Perique. This is a great all-day smoke or a smoke around non-smokers.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

An excellent offering from 4noggins.A Burley Blend which can be enjoyed as an all day smoke or as an after dinner smoke with a suitable beverage. Alcoholic or non alcoholic.To my mind best smoked in a reasonably large bowl to savour the fruity but spicy flavours that tickle your taste buds as you work your way through the bowl.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent maple flavoured blend. In contrary of Rum and Maple...

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

Wow, this is good stuff! I received an ounce from Rich with a recent order. I would not have purchased this on my own due to the Maple in the description. I am glad I received it. I will buy it in the near future. This is a mild smoke with just a hint of Maple to it. The Perique is lightly blended in so as it won't overpower. I burned clean all the way to the bottom on 2 bowls. I got a nice grey ash at the bootom and no residue. The tobacco is moist but not sticky. It packs very well. It is a medium brown in color and pretty finely cut. You can taste some sweetness as you smoke as well as a hint of maple and maybe a touch of raisins and nuts?!?! It will burn hot if you puff fast which is not hard to do with this. It's tasty!! This is a pleasurable smoke. Thanks Rich.