A wide cut, hearty Burley with the essence of fresh Maple, blended with enough St. James Parish Perique to give it an aged sweetness with a slight hint of spiced raisins. Easy to smoke, it is the perfect all day baccy that won't assault your taste buds.

Brand4noggins
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

3.6
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Rich Gottlieb needs more credit as a blender. This is an absolutely superb offering for those who want to enjoy a unique combination of Perique and Maple. Spicy yet sweet and a biteless all day smoke that packs a delightful punch due to the quality Burley. Not much aromatic essence and a full tobacco taste. Four stars all the way!

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The great thing about 4noggins aromatics is you can taste the tobacco. It is not a heavy wet overpowering flavor. This blend has a light maple taste however the sweetness of the tobacco comes through. The room note is great and I can pickup the maple there. This is a good somewhat complex smoke.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I did not expect to like this but so much, but having smoked a bit of it, I've come to enjoy and greatly appreciate it. The perique is mostly a condiment, but the spicy, fig and raisin tones are happily welcome. The burley is high quality, and has a nice, light cashew flavor. I expected the maple topping to be too much, but it's not. I find it dominates the other flavors somewhat, but then again, I always did like pancakes with maple syrup. If you dry it some, the burleys are a little more noticeable to your taste buds. It passes the wife test, but if you're on a diet, smoke it before you have your morning eggs and toast, and you won't need any pancakes! Seriously, it's a very good aromatic, well worth buying and enjoying.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)

I ordered a few ounces of this when buying a pipe and some other stuff from 4 Noggins. More of an impulse buy than anything. But I did read the reviews here and thought it sounded like a nice change of pace.

It's fantastic.

Very much Walnut or Carter Hall with some maple topping; but it's quite well done. I find I really enjoy this and it's one of those I find myself distinctly craving at certain times.

Bone dry and more of an essence than a heavy flavoring. I guess it is called the "essence" of VT afterall.

I'm not one for heavy candy like tobaccos. But this one is quite nice despite the fact that the maple translates noticeably, but not obtrusively, to the smoke and doesn't get left behind in the tin.

If you like subtle maple essence that compliment rather than embellish the underlying tobacco you'll like this I think.

I personally think a small dose of latakia would really set this off. But then again Rich does this for a living and I push pencils.

In any event a sold 4 stars to my taste against the field and not just in its "Class".

5/15 edit: I'm dropping this one star down to 3. It's become a bit monotonous and I'm sort of feuding with burley right now i guess. Tend to get bitten more often that not.

Still a very very good aromatic. Smokes dry. Isn't syrupy. The perique makes it more interesting than most. But it's still a maple flavored aromatic. And really that can only take you so far IMO.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I think you could mix every one of the 4noggins blends together and come up with this blend. Seems to me they keep using the same tobacco and just add various flavorings to it. You just can't sink your teeth into any of the blends I have tried so far. Sorry to be a curmudgeon...

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: 63

Purchased From: 4noggins

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I evaluate this as an "intermediate" tobacco, not sweet as an "aromatic" (aromatized) tobacco (ex. Cavendish) bu not "pure tobacco taste" neither a classical English Mixture. Resuming, is Interemediate between and English Mixture and a "Pure Tobacco" but also have traces of sweetness. The manufacturer classified it as natural aromatic. It is sweet, but have a slighly bitter taste, flavour, may be due to the Perique presence and to the Burley, classically known by their bite taste. Interesting Tobacco, very different. Bite and Sweet together and is wet in an appropiate ammount, bu not burns slowly. The Maple scent is clearly recognized mainly in the room note. Recommended.

Drumdude06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drumdude06 (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I prefer Va/Per then English/Balkan blends for the most part, but I do enjoy aromatics from time to time. This aromatic is really special and is my favorite aromatic blend. The maple flavoring is really enjoyable, and the slight amount of Perique adds a very nice touch that takes the blend beyond a normal aromatic. This blend has definite raisin, maple, and dried fig tastes that add sweetness to the blend. There is also a slight amount of spiciness provided by the extremely light touch of Perique. This is a great all-day smoke or a smoke around non-smokers.

I picked up some of this weed more than a year ago and for whatever reason I wasn't all that fond of it. I came across it this weekend in the cellar and I'm so glad I didn't toss it out. Given the fact that this is mainly a Burley blend, I doubt the time in the cellar added much to the quality. This is a fine tobacco. It is an aromatic, but the burley flavor is forward, well ahead of the casing. The perique lends a nice light spice to the mix, but those that are not fond of perique shouldn't worry as it's added with a light hand. This blend is only mildly sweet and there is plenty of tobacco flavor to be had. It burns nice and dry and could be an all day smoke for Burley lovers and those that enjoy light aromatics without Cavendish. If you are looking for a “full on” American style aromatic, you may want to seek out other maple blends. Highly Recommended.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (18)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As far a maple flavored aromatic this is a nice smoke, but it will bite.

Pipeworks & Wilke's Vermont Maple Cavendish offers more maple tast without any goop, and I think better tobaccos, and totally free of bite.

Two stars

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

An excellent offering from 4noggins.A Burley Blend which can be enjoyed as an all day smoke or as an after dinner smoke with a suitable beverage. Alcoholic or non alcoholic.To my mind best smoked in a reasonably large bowl to savour the fruity but spicy flavours that tickle your taste buds as you work your way through the bowl.

Lono Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lono (5)

Another superb blend from 4noggins. This is a favorite morning smoke for me, and goes very well with my first cup of coffee. Slow burning with a nice but not overpowering touch of maple, and as other have noted some fig or spiced raisin.

PHOBOS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PHOBOS (9)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

It is not bad tobacco, but sorry it is not to me. I feel very bad puffing this tobacco.

The_Phantom_Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Phantom_Piper (11)

I really enjoy a good burley blend, and this fits the bill. A wonderfully crafted mixture from Rich at 4noggins. Any pipe tobacco blend that can pass the "wife" test, has to be quality. My wife has said to me that EOV reminds her of freshly poured syrup with a slight fig aroma. The taste is very mild but far from bland. I enjoy this blend most while reading a good book or watching a film as it burns slowly enough to really savor. Very Recommended!

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Is this in fact Captain Black's high class cousin Admiral Black? Comparisons are deceptive and invidious, but at the first few puffs, I have to admit I thought of the Captain, steering his vessel on tempestuous seas.

Essence of Vermont arrived in a sample from, where else? Vermont, courtesy of Rich. It packs quite solidly, being a little damp, and in colour is a rich mixture of darkish and medium-toned brown leaves, cut in rough shreds.

Resemblence to the Captain disappears after a while, as the burley makes its presence felt along with the brown sugar taste of the casing. The description on the 4noggins site says "Maple", and it would seem to be a fairly heavy sauce they have put on. The casing is not goopy or overwhelming, but this is definitely an aromatic blend.

It has no bite -- no Vermont ferrets nibbling or big dogs snapping -- and it produces a lot of smoke. You can smell the smoke while puffing, and it is very similar to how this blend tastes. The flavour stays all the way to the end.

Perique is noticeable, but luckily -- for me, at any rate -- not very strong. It gives the blend some complexity and helps to spice up the maple/molasses taste.

All in all, another outstanding product from 4noggins, and one that I will definitely keep on hand. I wrote in another review that Rich's Down by the River is the only aromatic I can smoke -- this is another.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent maple flavoured blend. In contrary of Rum and Maple...

irishpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishpiper (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I have been smoking a LOT of this for the past few weeks. Kept in a mason jar for some months since its arrival now, I find that this particular blend has smoked well since day one (like all of Rich's blends that I have tried.) The maple aroma that greets the smoker upon opening the jar, lingers in the smoke as well - just enough to say, "I'm still here." Easy to light, cool smoking and easy on the nicotine. The burley shines in this blend, and it truly is an all day smoke. It burns so well, that I have been able to add some of my most finicky pipes to my rotation! Thank you 4noggins - this blend is highly recommended!

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

Glad I found this one! Compared to the majority of maple cased tobacco's this has a truely 'natural' maple taste (at least so it seems to me, I'm no specialist). The burley is great, the maple is great en finishing touch is delivered by the perique. Which makes you taste raisins and dried fruit.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

Wow, this is good stuff! I received an ounce from Rich with a recent order. I would not have purchased this on my own due to the Maple in the description. I am glad I received it. I will buy it in the near future. This is a mild smoke with just a hint of Maple to it. The Perique is lightly blended in so as it won't overpower. I burned clean all the way to the bottom on 2 bowls. I got a nice grey ash at the bootom and no residue. The tobacco is moist but not sticky. It packs very well. It is a medium brown in color and pretty finely cut. You can taste some sweetness as you smoke as well as a hint of maple and maybe a touch of raisins and nuts?!?! It will burn hot if you puff fast which is not hard to do with this. It's tasty!! This is a pleasurable smoke. Thanks Rich.