A Toney/Tarler blend. A night out wasn't complete without a trip to the “private club” for a Cuba Libre or two. Round out your evening, or any other time of day, with this Virginia flake, sweetened with the caramel and exotic-spiced elixir of the Islands: Dark rum.

Blended ByToney / Tarler
Taste

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Meet Carolina Cream Flake! This real sleeper from C&D, which is the only one of their blends (of the several I have tried so far) that I really like, has many similarities to Kendal Cream Flake, one of my favorites. There is a sweet topping/casing here, noticable especially in the tin, but less so (usually) in the smoke. Weirdly, I noticed the topping more in the earlier smokes when I left the tobacco rather wet. Then it was sweet and tart, somewhat vinegar-like. But later in the tin, I noticed the rum more if the flake was dry. Then it was simply mild, smooth and sweet. Don't have any clue why that is. But otherwise (i.e., dry at first and wetter later on), the rum is definitely in the background, smoothing out the virginia more than adding a distinctly noticable sweetness. Then the virginias come to the fore, and here again is a similarity to Kendal Cream: the tobaccos are earthy, dark, coffee- and cigar-like. Pipestud is right that there is a sharpness to these base tobaccos. I wouldn't call it "harsh," but there's a certain edge that was actually very pleasant to me. A kind of heavy, substantial "presence," if you will. A rough smoothness?

Thus it varies, as I said, in terms of flavor, but it is always cool-burning, always smooth (in its way), always satisfying. Because of the contents, this could arguably be called a navy flake, but I liked it a lot better than the "navy flake" tobaccos I've tried so far.

If I had to choose one and only one tobacco, this would at least be on the short list. Hurrah for C&D!

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like it.

I'm finding that these C&D flakes have a tendency to grow on me. When I first encountered them a few years ago, I was less than impressed. Presentation was messy compared to the familiar Euro-flakes in the small, rectangular tins. And C&D flakes seemed to be more lightly pressed and fragile than the better European versions. At the same time, they seemed to be thicker sliced. Fat and loose. Rarely an appealing combination, except for maybe a half hour after last call. But once I set aside the pre-light aesthetics, I saw a number of delicious tobaccos offered both under the C&D banner and under the C&D-manufactured GLPease label. Union Square, Opening Night, Star of the East Flake…the list goes on.

I can now add After Hours Flake to the list of C&D Flakes I smoke on a fairly regular basis. This is pretty pleasant stuff…one for the ditch after a night of stronger tobaccos. After Hours Flake arrives as a set of pretty, chestnut brown flakes with a few yellow streaks. Tin aromas are dominated by grassy Virginias and a light caramel-vanilla profile associated with the advertised rum topping. The topping is lightly applied and is more akin to something like F&T's Special Brown Flake than to a heavy rum aromatic like Altadis' Buttered Rum. This is a flake aimed primarily at Virginia smokers not aromatic smokers. Perhaps it might even serve as a happy middle ground between the styles. Then again, the light topping may also run the risk of pleasing no one.

It smokes pretty much like a straight, mild Virginia. The sweetness builds as the bowl progresses and if I have a single complaint about this stuff, it is that it occasionally takes on an ashy flavor profile toward the conclusion of the bowl.

I doubt that this will improve measurably with age. The already light topping may fade into oblivion, but I think that might take away some of the blend's quiet charm. Nonetheless, I've tucked a few tins away for a rainy day.

This is another great tobacco in the Simply Elegant series by C and D. I have been trying the blends in this series and so far I have to say I have been enjoying them very much, this one included.

First off, upon opening my tin, I am presented with very loosely packed flakes of ribbon cut tobacco of a thicker variety. The flakes are composed of a sweet and moist tobacco running from light khaki to dark brown coloring. The tin note is sweet but not the hay like sweetness of Virginias. The rum topping applied here instead has it more of a sugar flavor with a little spice added to the sweetness. The flakes were easy to break up and as they were very moist, I broke the flakes up onto a bowl and set it out to air dry for a few days. Upon doing this, I was rewarded with a very easy to pack and light tobacco that is very pleasing to smoke. It stays easy to keep lit after the drying out and burns nice and slow down the pipe with a sweetness on the palette of a nice virginia with the added sugar flavor of the rum. The rim topping gives the blend a rich fullness on the tongue, yet the rum was not overwhelming in any way. While it did mask some of the flavor of the virginia, it added it's own element to the blend and makes for a very enjoyable smoke. To add to the goodness of this blend, it smokes bite free, in fact it is very cool smoking. The room note is pleasant, a little heavier than most straight Virginia blends but with a pleasing sweetness to the aroma of the smoke. It burns down the pipe slow but nice leaving a steely grey ash. Most of the time it leaves just a touch of dottle in the bottom of the pipe bowl, but not a lot. Overall, this is a very nice blend that I enjoyed very much. I struggled with a three or four star rating as it is right on the edge but after realizing that it is a very well represented example of this type type of flake, I decided to give it a four and highly recommend.

Pipe Used: briar, corn cob, meers

Purchased From: C and D

WooseyWid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WooseyWid (5)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Initially After Hours has a very unique flavor of dark rum with the virginias in the background. It has a strong spiciness due to the rum. If any wisps of smoke goes up your nose, your going to notice the spice.

After aging in a jar for a few months, the blend mellowed out and virginias became more predominant, which made After Hours a great smooth smoke.

Just like all of C&D blends, After Hours had perfect moisture level opening the tin. This blend smokes nice and dry without bite.

After Hours is usually the last bowl of the day for me because of the satisfying nicotine, smooth taste and the dry smoke will help dry out the pipe I have been smoking all day.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

A good Va rum flake.

I think the guy who opperates the press at the C&D factory must be frightened of hurting the tobacco. Every flake I have had from them is so fragile that you can't pick it up without destroying it. This doesn't trouble me, particularly but if you really like to fold n' stuff, you might have some issues.

The topping is pleasant and sweet with flavours of alcohol, maple & licorice. And, whilst it is always present, it doesn't block the smoker from accessing the taste of the tobaccos.

Like most cased and topped tobaccos it will smoke hot so a slightly more reserved puffing cadence is recommended. I have also noticed it turn sour if taken too quickly, a trait it shares with Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Rum Flake. Which doesn't surprise me as I find these tobaccos to be very similar in many ways.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

C/D Afterhours … C/D Afterhours … Billed as a Virginia flake with spiced rum. My (2oz) tin was filled with thick broken flakes, that provided a long cool and somewhat wind resistant smoke. Nice for those that smoke outdoors.

After about two weeks of on and off use of this fine blend, these are my impressions. To start with, this stuff has a learning curve; it took several bowls, and some trial and error to appreciate just how special this baccy really is. It's a fuller bodied smoke than say their “Opening Night”, maybe due to its somewhat spicy (maybe “rough” is a better word than spicy) flavor, which gives the impression of a more robust taste. Whatever the reason, as far as I'm concerned, this is a real smoking weed. Overall a pleasantly full Virginia taste, with very adequate vitamin N, bite free and for my taste, totally satisfying.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

"After hours" indeed. For the last few days, that's when I have been smoking this blend as a quiet goodbye to the (these days, long) working day, and I find the experience fitting.

It has been noted that the tin arrives with its content a little on the moist side; it really does. But it's smokeable. The tin aroma makes little secret of the fact that rum has been applied (but my nose makes the association with a good quality rum, not expensive but cheaply-made booze like Bacardi and its ilk). VA comes through strongly, with fruity orange/citrus notes that I have learned to associate with top notch leaf.

The smoking experience is a little different. On lighting, there is a note of green pepper; the rum adds little more than some sweetness in the taste and room note, but I guess its main influence lies in mellowing the taste and aroma of the VA tobacco: this blend makes for a mellow yet full, sweet taste with spice.

From the top to the bottom of the pipe, the sweetness lessens a little and the VA tobacco comes out a bit more, but not so much that I'd say the general character of the experience changes; the pepper/sweetness combo goes nicely and merrily on until the last embers have been incinerated.

Like Exhausted Rooster, the flakes did not reach me intact; the consistency of the leaf is more a broken flake which is very easy to fill, burns slowly and coolly and doesn't need much maintenance to enjoy. The relatively wide cut of the slices needs some space in the bowl, so use large pipe, stuff gently, and enjoy.

The mellowness on the tongue might be a little misleading -- this 'baccy has a good amount of strength that is fully satisfying to me, and might be overwhelming to the rookie and those who normally stick to the milder aromatics. For those, this blend might be worth a try to dip their toes in the waters of a less artificially aromatic, more full blend. For me, a beautiful winding-down smoke.

Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Tasty and different... I believe C&D hit a home run with this unique flake. Lots of rum like smell when the lid is popped, and, unlike many C&D blends this one arrives more moist than dry. In fact, I had to let the tobacco sit for an hour or so after I fully rubbed out my first bowlful.

The Virginia leaf was just a wee bit rough, but did please me. I thought the added alcohol was a nice compliment and not too heavy. Rum soaked blends tend to burn hot for me, but After Hours Flake is a cool burning son of a gun from top to bottom.

Unique and a nice change of pace.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (19)

After Hours Flake is, IMO, a rather undistinguished Virginia flake. The tin note is pleasant but nothing to write home about. For a straight Virginia it is not very sweet (I like sweet tobacco) or flavorful. I don't detect much of the caramel or rum flavor (not necessarily a bad thing). Unfortunately, I don't detect much else in the way of favor. I can't say it's a bad tobacco, it's just that there are so many other, better tobaccos to smoke that I will probably not visit this one again but, if you like plain Jane Virginias, this one may be for you.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Canadian Briar

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

Purchased From: JR Cigar

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Perfection. Rum va flake, nothing more or nothing less. This is me. A blend made for smoking.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A solid 3 star flake from C&D, already lots of fine reviews.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

You definately will smell the rum when you open the tin. that said, I find the taste when smoking less pronounced than the smell, although it is there. Nice broken flake that burns great, tastes just like the description, and lasts a good long while. No complaints. It is what it is.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I don't really care for this. That does not make it bad. I just don't find it up to the normally high level that most C&D and G.L. Pease blends are on. Even the best blenders in the world make something on occasion I don't care for. With the effort they make to produce so many blends there are bound to be a few that could be overlooked, this is one of those.

The rum is too much in this one. Not that it tastes strongly of rum, it just masks the tobacco flavor too much for me and the blend is overall too mild.

I can see how those liking lighter blends could enjoy it. Just not for me.

I honestly think it is a hit or miss with this blend and I'm sad to say I do not really reccomend it.

So it goes. Back to the ones I love.

mrmcmc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmcmc (15)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I have to join in with the minority opinion on this one. The majority of what I smoke is either C.D. or G.L. Pease, with a scattering of other international blends. I have no fault with either Cornell and Diehl, nor G.L. Pease, and I believe these two houses are producing amongst the best tobaccos available today for the pipe smoker. That being said, I just couldn't get along with this offering. The rum seems to overpower the tobacco, and the tobacco doesn't seem to offer very much in the way of depth of flavor. It appears rather too mild and monochromatic, barely being able to peek its head above the rum on occasion. My opinion simply is that it is not a top notch offering from my good friends down south. The tobacco appears to be of the highest quality, but it just loses something in the translation here, and it doesn't get any better as the bowl progresses. I really enjoy Barbary Coast, Repose, and Pennington Gap, all of which add rum to the mix, but the rum seems to work better with the Burley. Nough said, and Happy Holidays To All!!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This my gang is one helluva good flake. Juicy red flakes spiced up with a bit of rum flavoring. Easy to fold and burn.

Burns steady and is not a wet smoke. I ripped opened a new tin and found it quite smokable immediately.

The red virginia is subdued a bit by the rum but the flavoring keeps it a deep, seductive, cool, and quite tasty.

Not as sweet as something like McCraines older Red Flake or G&H Ennerdale Flake or Rum Flake, but those vintage blends have lots of age. Seems almost like the same quality red leaf as Mc but the rum brings it to a different level.

The rum does not taste like an aromatic additive per se, and the flavor is deeply embued in the red virginia. It is slighty spicy at times too as noted below--like a dose of rum, but I regard it as smooth enough if you don't puff her fast.

For the red flake fancier who wants a note of something extra.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Gosh I hate to be the lone decenter at this point but there was nothing in this blend that grabbed me. Well I did like the room note and the fact that my wife did as well, but at the end of the day I would rather have a great smoke than a happy nose. The VA was of decent quality and the tobacco did have good presentation. The tin note was strong of rum and raisins. The tobacco did taste slightly of rum and more heavily of in a Meerschaum, but towards mid bowl it was more peppery than rum. I just did not like the combo. This blend is one of my least favorite C&D blends. Sorry guys,

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

In normal times I would soak myself in rum, internally, and smoke a straight Virginia Flake.

We live in extraordinary times.

More great tobacco blended with exceptional skill. Needs a wee bit of drying and rubbing and the aroma of rum fades slightly. Lights and burns with ease. No muss, no fuss.

Very nice with a gin and tonic, and I will buy again when I'm not in the mood for rum in a glass.

uncle corncob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uncle corncob (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

C&D After Hours Review

The sea-faring swashbuckler in me heard Rum soaked Virginia flake? I was ready to set sail. It was not at all like that, but, that was ok, because this is an exceptional smoke.

I am a VA flake fanatic, PS Luxury is my all day, and I use blends like this for after dinner and special times. I have smoked almost a whole tin, and cannot say enough on how good this is.

Not a sweet blend, and if no one told me there was rum in, I wouldn?t know. So the last bowl I smoked I tried to stay in conjunction to the theme ?after hours? (a sneaky pete club) I threw on some Dean Martin, Frank, Tony Bennett and some of my jazz CD?s.

This is not Virginia Flake, this is Virginia Steak au Poivre

Top of bowl - Immediately you are met with a green & black peppercorn affect. It is Peppery and spicy. It has a good underlying fullness and aroma of good smooth Virginia. Not hard to get started at all, and allows you to settle right in.

Mid Bowl - The pepperiness backs off but doesn?t disappear and now it is just plain meaty. Yes, meaty, like NY Strip steak in your mouth. There are mouthfuls of smoke that smell very unique and have a very good taste. I swear it reminds of steak. I even smell and taste slight A1 sauce but not in a Latakia way, more of a open flame grill way.

Bottom Bowl - what? Huh? Where am I? Sorry, the CD changed to Sonny Clark and I got lost for about 30 mins. Oh yeah, I was in a back alley Jazz lounge, where you hear great music and drink gasoline. The Nic level is a good heavy-medium, and will make you relaxed, big time. Not strong, but a good fighting champ. I feel like I just ate dinner! Very full taste.

My compliments to C&D, this is the best blend I have tried from them in a looong time. Congrats to Mr. Tarler! A sure winner, can?t wait to see what aging does to this.

= 5 out of 5 stars

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Anyone that knows me knows I'm partial to C&D blends. Up until this point, Sunday Picnic was my favorite of their Flakes. Up till this point. Afterhours Flake is by far the best Rum Flake on the market. Open the tin and there are lovely, well cut flakes, and the smel of Rum comes on strong. At first this worried me, becuase in some blends this spells tongue burn-But not here. Full rubbed out is my favorite way to go- and this is not pipe specific. Takes to light well, and the flavor is a full, nicelt flavored Virginia flake. The Rum Flvor gives it a bit of spice and a deep flavor- But not what you would expect from the smell- It's more subdued. No hint of bite- the flavor stays constant and reliable. A Great Flake. If you like the thought of a Rum Flake-This is it.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (16)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very enjoyable smoke with a good nicotine punch to be smoked slowly ,good flavor burns all the way down to a fine ash smoke in a medium bowl pipe

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Upon opening the tin, nicely prepared but loosely pressed flakes smell of the rum sweetner and are easily packed without rubout into any sized bowl. Upon lighting, the rum is way in the background but a cool, sweet smoke results with no need for relights. Burns evenly with little condenstation even though quite moist right from the tin. Although overall too mild compared to my preferred VAs and VaPers, as the name suggests, this is nice for the last smoke of the day or during hot summer weather.

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

(In a Cockney Accent)

"That's Very Nice!"

This is a very, very good tobacco.

After an initial tug at After Hours, I cellared it for a month. I am very glad that I did, and very glad that I pulled it out this evening. The cellaring definitely mellowed out the strength of the Rum note, and I swear it added a touch of Vanilla to it.

After Hours serves a great purpose for me tonight as a palette cleanse and a reset button. I regularly smoke strong Latakia heavy blends, and that can sometimes lead to rut and overload. An ample bowl full of AH in the Oom Paul, and I feel brand new.

This is a very even tobacco, that gives a fair share of spicy- ness, sweetness, and a hint of toasty-ness.

Overall I would say it tastes like a lightly toasted cavendish, dipped in spiced rum.

The medium buzz from the Vitamin N is at the perfect level...perfect enough to carry into the pre-bedtime novel.

Solid, and very nice.