A mixture of lemon Virginia ribbon and black Cavendish with a dash of deer tongue for spice.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
2.4
codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Initial lighting I tasted a strong Virginia and a strong deer tongue. I love deer tongue, and that taste and smell faded away pretty quick.

I wouldn't even think about strength when smoking this blend, it's very light. The flavoring is weird. I'm not really getting a casing taste, just more of a lemon, Virginia kind of thing, with the deer tongue poking it's head in once in a while. The room note isn't quite as good as C & D's other deer tongue blends.

I kinda have mixed thoughts about this blend, mostly because of the lemon Virginia and lack of deer tongue. In the end a solid three stars.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, Nording Poker

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 104: Crooner, Cornell & Diehl - 421: Gentleman Caller.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Interesting blend. Being a huge fan of C&D Burley based Deer Tongue blends (Gentleman Caller and Crooner) I decided to try their only Virginia Deer Tongue blend. New Market makes for a very nice smoke. Smooth, Mild, Light in the nicotine department and as aromatic as a non-aromatic can be. The lemon Virginia takes the forefront here. Sweet and mild. The Cavendish acts as a nice base, fills out the smoke well. The Deer Tongue however is very faint in the background. Adds that subtle spicy vanilla the leaf is known for. I think I would prefer a larger dose of deer tongue in this one but it is very nice as is.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

This is some crazy pipe weed. Lemon Virginias, black cavendish, and the herb deer tongue make up New Market. Boy, talk about your change of pace smoke... I've let my original 4 oz. sample sit for about 2 years, smoking only the occasional bowl. Tonight I smoked 2 bowls in a row and the tip of my tongue is a little numb; I attribute that to the deer tongue. I would not recommend this to everyone, but if you want to try something really unique, give it a try.

The lemon Virginias are top notch, but require some aging to settle down a bit. There's not a lot of cavandish or deer tongue. The cavendish is quite tasty, but only shows itself occasionally. I find the deer tongue hard to describe except for the effect on my tongue. It has a flavor, but I can't describe it.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

If you like Crooner, you should PROBABLY enjoy this one too. I said probably, because here you won't find that delicious burley nuttiness... This one is OK, but a bit too mild for my taste. Even the deertongue seems more sparingly applied.

Give it a try if you like the weird green leaf, otherwise skip it.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

One more of the deer tongue blends, this is certainly an odd one that I'm not sure I like a whole lot. The Virginias just don't seem to mix well with the deer tongue and it's funny tasting and funny smelling- both in the room and in the pouch. Very attractive blend though, with bright yellow (biting) Virginias, some black and just a few flecks of green. I didn't mind Crooner for DT blends, but the others I've tried have fallen short and this was probably the worst of the bunch. My sample (unfortunately a whole pound) was put up back in '99 and it never really got any better...