Orient 996 uses a very high sugar content bright Virginia (yellow) with aged Red Virginia, a bit of stoved mahogany Red Virginia, add in a good amount of No.1 grade Yenidje, two other village specific rare leaf oriental tobaccos are used in smaller amounts, plus a nice touch, but not over powering amount, of Syrian Latakia.

This is a rare and expensive blend because of the No.1 grade Orientals (Yenidje, Katerini, Samsun) the Syrian Latakia and because of the high grade bright very high sugar content Virginias.

Notes: Orient 996 has been aged before its release in December 2007. A very special mixture in very limited numbers as only 318 tins were produced for 2007. Reintroduced in 2009 from a PCCA Blend.

Blended ByMcClelland
3.2
Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (21)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had gotten two tins of this , one the original 2007 (stamped 2008) and this one marked, 2009 & "Pipe Tobacco" instead of "2007" to the right of the name on the tin - just to be clear. I just opened this one with 4 or 5 years on it & I just don't know what to make of it. Smooth, sure, light for certain, but I can't seem to get much flavor no matter what pipe I put it in. It seems to be more of a light VaPer flavor than oriental, though the latter are noticeable from time to time. Good shag cut, high quality leaf, I will cellar the open tin & see if it changes as noted by others. So far, OK but not great.

Pipe Used: Upshall huge dublin, meers, clay

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: VaPers.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

Preface: Within the Collector Series, Orient 996 is most similar to TC, including, mainly, Latakia replacing Perique.

Tin: 2008 stamped on bottom of tin.(The label says Vintage 2007. Orient 996 was introduced in DEC 2007.) Sweet and sour smell, the sour aspect diminishing readily after the tin is unsealed for a couple of days. Burnt or stoved mahogany hue, standard ribbon cut, almost dry.

Packed readily, as a ribbon usually does, and burned well.

Taste & Aroma: A nice, soft, mellow smoke, but not enough umph-It lacks the substance that its cousin, TC, has.

Overall: Nice and mellow. A strong 3 stars, but not enough subsance to merit four. 3.4 stars.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)

I bought a tin of this late in 2009 and kept it for aging till a few weeks back. It was worth the wait. I really enjoyed it, it reminded me a bit of McClelland's Smyrna blend, but with some more virginia; but many of the other "oriental" flavors felt the same as the Smyrna. I will be buying some more to keep around, its a very good smoke paired with an Armognac/Cognac. Highly enjoyable!

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)

enjoyed with much pleasure. A beautiful blend of fine tobaccos married together to create a very refined smoke. I've had a dozen tins in the cellar now for a couple of years and can't wait to crack another one open in a couple more years.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)

I wish I had read vaperfavour's review before finishing the first half of the tin. After half tin full of useless attempts at trying to get some more flavors other than virginia but getting tongue bite instead, exorcized the evil tin of Orient666 to the dark side of the cellar and moved on to other alternatives.

Reading vaperfavour's review, I decided to give piece another chance since 3 months had already passed over my last smoke of Orient666. Interesting though, upon re-opening the tin I was surprised it had not completely dried out. Filled a pipe, lit, and a couple puffs here and a couple puffs there and a couple puffs everywhere...weeeheeee it was now Orient966! next time I tried, I left it for more air drying (about an hour) and that smoke was indeed Orient996. I was so mesmerized by it, my next purchase was its sister blend Jubilee, which btw will be resting in peace with an open lid for another month.

Thanks to vaperfavour and several shamanic chants, evil out flavors in.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)

Due to the sugary Va. tobacco in the blend, it will age beautifully and this would enhance the qualit Syrian Latakia that lies somewhat dormant in a newl opened tin. This would be a good transition blend for someone who normally smokes Virginians but wants a more exotic kick of Orientals with a touch of Latakia. I like it. Sweet but not overwhelming. I will buy a tin or two and store for awhile to see the result.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

first off i would like to say this is a great blend, but it needs preparation, namely opening the tin , leave the metal plate on the tobacco and let it sit for 6 months. after doing this the tobaccos come to life and the true taste and potential of this blend starts to shine through. when first opened it will taste virginia heavy and the syrian will barely be tasted. I have found all the recent McClelland blends (PCCA or not) benefit from what some may say is extreme air time. just found a tin that was opened last october and that i shoved to the back of the cellar thinking this blend was a dud. what a difference time and air makes. even now it is not a powerhouse blend, but there are subtleties worth exploring. The orientals are making themselves known over the virginias and this is becoming very good.try it, air it, stock up for a blend with turkish.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

Tin dated simply "2008"; opened 3/2/2009. I bought 2lbs. of this blend without tasting it, solely on the basis of my love for the constituent tobaccos.

After seven bowls, though, I am convinced that this is the most poorly mixed blend I've ever smoked. Given McClelland's reputation for excellence, I can only assume that there were serious manufacturing or quality-control problems with my tin.

The first five bowls were Virginia-dominant smokes that only occasionally allowed waves of the Yenidje to come through. There were literally only three puffs in which the Syrian was detectable. The latakia was present in such minute quantities, it was as if it had been added with tweezers and a microscope.

However, bowl six was significantly different, with a stronger latakia presence. Bowl seven was even more different: 2/3 of the bowl smoked as if it were straight Yenidje, like a large knot of Yenidje was present in entirely unmixed form. In the bottom 1/3, the Yenidje disappeared entirely and the Syrian and Virginia were the sole flavors.

Despite every variation I tried in loading the pipes, every one of the seven bowls required a minimum of five matches.

Because of the extreme variations I experienced in bowl after bowl, I cannot highly recommend this. I can only hope that subsequent tins will be much more consistent; clearly, others here haven't noted similar problems. (I'll update this in the future, if other tins end up faring better.)

LSU Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSU Tiger (13)

I bought this on recommendation of a fellow pipe smoker, and I'm glad I tried it. Sweet, but not over powering, spiced, but not to the point of burning. It smokes well in anything from a small prince to the largest Dublin. If there's a downside, it's that I can't order a pound, only 50 gr tin!

smokinj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinj (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow I Love it and the nicotine kick is very nice. Well put together best i have ever smoke! Frist class ALL THE WAY

LeGunnCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeGunnCat (18)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I am not sure what to make of this blend so far. I am having a difficult time discovering the Latakia. The Virginia's are very nice and very mild. The Orientals are distinguishable.

It's quite easy to pack and is very tame in the bowl and burns fairly cool. However, it's a bit tricky! If you are expecting a big Latakia taste and puff away too hard, you will get some bite.

There is some delicious sweetness going on here, and although the blend is a bit mild for my taste, it gets points for the quality of Virginia tobac. It has a clean natural taste that teases the tongue and presents the opportunity for reflection.