This blend offers a balanced taste of sliced Burley, Latakia, Turkish and a hint of plum on the finish. Overall, a light bodied English blend.

BrandMilan Tobacconists
Blended ByDavid Meyer
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
FlavoringPlum
Strength
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium

3.2
oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Milan has always been a class act, and their customer service cannot be beaten by anyone. When did such integrity in tobacconists become so rare?

The review below by Taste Buds, likening Chartwell (plus 2% Perique) to the late and much-missed Brush Creek got me to try this blend.

I must say that I could not taste the similarity; nevertheless, that is not to say that Chartwell does not have its own worthy charms. This is an outstanding Burley-Latakia mixture.

Slightly sweet, smooth, and top quality, it is a blend any pipe smoker who appreciates quality tobacco can enjoy.

SBC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SBC (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A commendable crossover blend.

Latakia is dominant in the pouch, but actually plays a very peripheral role in the taste. This blend is delicious. Never chemically or artificial…just sweet deliciousness. Sort of plumy, but with backbone. That flavor is barely detectable at first, but it picks up as you get town the bowl, and makes itself really known in the final half/third.

I was just smoking it in a public market place, tonight, and received rave compliments from passers-by. This is the kind of room-note that leads anti-smokers to pick up pipe-smoking.

I first had this in a cob, and thought it burned way too hot; but, in other bowls, I haven't had the same experience, so it may have been just the cob. It's warmer than I prefer, sure, but not unreasonably so.

This tobacco wants to be sipped gently and slightly. You'll lose the flavor if you just suck on it. Draw in ever so slightly and gently and shortly, and direct the smoke to the back corners of your tongue--like, between the back of the sides of your tonuge and your cheeks, if that makes sense: for some reason, that's where the plumy flavor is best experienced.

Not the world's greatest tobacco, but worthwhile.

P.S. This blend is remarkably similar to Dr. Bradley by Iwan Ries. They strike me as slight variations on the same blend.

Aussie-man-die-as Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie-man-die-as (13)

This is an excellent introduction for an aromatic smoker looking to get into latakia blends. It has a good, smoky latakia component, which develops with ageing. Ribbon cut, easy to load and smoke to the bottom, mild, almost no bite. The plum topping is very noticeable to an "English" smoker, but is pleasant enough and would be delightful to an "aromatic" smoker. 3 stars as a "crossover" tobacco.

This too shall pass.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a new foray into something different. I smoked an once sent in a sampler group. The overwhelming prescence of the Latakia types in this blend sometimes dont agree with me. But, I did enjoy the blend overall, with the Latakia type caveat. So, if you have a taste for a more english blend, this could be a start. Beyond the initial taste, I enjoy the burley and even the latakia. Perhaps the effects of a spiciness is the cause/effect. Whatever. The smoke was good enough to last the bowl, and if it was bad, believe me, that wouldve been dumped quick. Somewhat enjoyed, and something learned. Fair trade.

Joe G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe G (5)

Good blend. No tongue bite. Stays lit with minimal effort. Don't really taste the Latakia. Adding more would improve the blend but it is still an enjoyable all day smoke.

purplehook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purplehook (6)

Let me first start out by saying that I am relatively new to pipe smoking. After smoking various aromatics for a number of months, I decided to try most all types of pipe tobacco from pure latakia, to burleys, and virginias. This one suits me the best and for me personally this is my favorite of all that i have tried. This is a light smoke but definetely has more sustainence than an aromatic cavendish. I could taste the latakia in it, but it was blended in beautifully to enhance the other flavors. The best thing about this is that it left no heavy after taste in my mouth after smoking. It smells very much like a campfire coming out of the bag, but in a smoke it tastes like a light pleasant cedar taste that i enjoy.

I had no problems with it staying lit or not being dry enough. It burns easier for me than most of my other blends.

Ian4545 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian4545 (7)
Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

It's nothing special but that is what makes it good. Chartwell is real good tobacco to smoke when you don't wanna smoke your Virginia Flake or when you are packing a bowl for a friend.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Chartwell was my first English blend, and it's true what they say: you never forget your first. After some time as an aromatic smoker, I wished to try for something different. David at Milans suggested Chartwell as a good bridge English blend. The leaf lit easily and stayed lit. The Latakita was detectable, but not to any great strength. The smoke was smooth and tasty. Like with most Milan blends, there was no bite. This was a delightful experience that I must recommend others (seasoned and new English blend smokers alike) to try.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

I've been enjoying this American-English crossover for the last few months and asked that it be added to Milan's list for review. David Meyers has blended one heck of a great blend with Chartwell. There is no Virginia in Chartwell. The sliced Burley is the sole base of this mixture. The Latakia is used sparingly, while the Turkish is more prominent. There is a slight rum-raison taste on the finish, which is the plum note that is referred to above. In spite of this, I would not consider Chartwell to be an aromatic. This mix smokes cool, with a touch of sweetness, to the bottom of the bowl. It kind of reminds me a little like Brush Creek, one of my old favorites from the '70's. If you like a little spice on the finish, I would recommend that you add 2% Perique, as I do.

August 20th/08: I've finally decided to downgrade this mix to two stars. The additives make it impossible to dry out. At this stage of my life, any blend that needs drying in the microwave does not belong in my rotation.

January 26/11: I've come back to this blend after a three year absense. I think I may have been too harsh in my first updated review. Because of this, I am raising my rating to 3 stars.