Stylish, dark and alluring. Generous quantities of Cyprian Latakia are blended with matured red Virginias, exotic orientals, and just a little bright flue-cured leaf to offer a deep, full-bodied yet silky smoke with an intriguing sweetness, enhanced by a discreet and mysterious spice. Maltese Falcon possesses an exquisite balance - a wonderful all-day English style mixture.

Notes: Maltese Falcon was introduced in January, 2008.

BrandG. L. Pease

3.2
ZuluCollector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZuluCollector (2)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

The tin that I popped was absolutely perfect in moisture content. The tobacco was packed with appropriate density in the tin (not too loose and having settled).

Some time ago I purchased a new Purdy zulu (based on the that Sixten Will owns). I decided to dedicate this pipe to Maltese Falcon. So I gave the pipe its maiden bowl with the first load of tinned Maltese Falcon.

This tobacco begins with dark chocolate and citrus; the latakia presents itself with confidence but recedes almost immediately as good quality latakia will. The citrus likewise recedes as the Virginia sugars present more sweetness. It is as if the dark chocolate sweetens. The orientals present flavors that are not unlike roasted chestnuts; there is a slightly bitter undertone in counterpoint with the Virginias. These virginias are not quite lemony; they are more like a blood orange to my palate.

Though I took no time to let the tin breathe nor to let the tobacco dry out, I had no undue problem with the burn at all. I think I relit once after the charring light about two thirds through the bowl. I was surprised that I did not experience the taste of charring briar as I smoked this tobacco; this Purdy's bowl was uncoated. From examining the bowl after smoking, it appears that the tobacco burns at a fairly cool temperature, but I am a fairly slow, cool smoker. The bowl ? which is fairly small ? gave me a 45-minute smoke.

I have decided to cellar this tobacco in significant quantities. It is, surprisingly, fast becoming my favorite tobacco. This is surprising because I am primarily a smoker of Virginias. I do love this blend, however.

Full disclosure: I have worked with Greg on marketing and market research for G.L. Pease Artisanal Tobaccos, commencing with the Embarcadero blend. I was creative director and art director for Greg's new logo, and for this new label design that you see with Maltese Falcon. So, it would be disingenuine of me to claim no association or interest. That having been said, I've marketed a lot of products that are not for me. This one, however is one with which I am infatuated ? a happy circumstance.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (97)

This is the first proper full on Latakia I've smoked from GL Pease and was looking forward to give it a go, in spite of the price.

The tin design was attractive as always with GL Pease's, I always find those wrappers around the drum well designed, the first smoke is with the eye as it were. The ribbons inside, too, were a nice colour, a rich mixture of lighter and darker browns. The smell was of a sweet smokiness, a nice change from the more creosote-like, if still pleasant, fare usually present with most latakia blends. The ribbons were a little dry but this made packing and lighting all the easier, this moisture also seems right as the burn is even and cool so this seems to be just right. The flavour continues much like the tin aroma, smoky yet sweet. It is a pleasure to smoke all the way down to the bottom and smooth with it, producing a nice, fine ash making clearing out the bowl as easy as the rest of the experience. There is a bit of a nic hit but it's not as strong as I would expect from Mr Pease.

This is a good, strongly flavoured latakia that provides a more than pleasant change from my usual lat blends and look forward to getting some more. A good solid smoke.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 65

Purchased From: Gauntley's of Nottingham

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I first smoked this in a briar and thought this was just a basic English blend. Rock solid English, but no better than 3 stars. Couldn't pick up on the "mysterious spice". I always have better luck picking up delicate nuances of flavor in a cob. I'm close to retiring my briars and going with only cobs for this reason. I stuffed one of my MM Generals reserved for English blends and put the match to it. As usual it made a world of difference. It wasn't until the Latakia went from sharp and rich to smooth and creamy (at about the halfway mark) that I was able to pick up on the "mysterious spice". My brain kept saying "cinnamon" over and over, but I'm not sure that's correct. It's just a bit to faint to positively identify, but it does add a nice complexity that captivates me. This is a wonderful blend that I could easily smoke all day and be completely satisfied.

Pipe Used: Nording freehand, MM General

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

OK, I admit it, I was immediately drawn to the name--the Bogart line at the end of the movie, "It's the stuff that dreams are made of” was simply too much to resist. And there are so many very strong recommendations in these reviews.....well, I certainly was anything but disappointed! I think that it deserves a full 3-star rating and undoubtedly a bit more.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I wasn’t completely enraptured with it; however, the more that I smoke it, the more that I seem to like it. I should say that I am only an occasional smoker of the English/Balkan blends, but I am certainly not a stranger to them. For me Maltese Falcon displays a fairly distinct Latakia character, but the Latakia is not overblown. I would rate the Latakia impact as something less than medium, but certainly not light. To my tastes I find that the tobacco components maintain their individual identities throughout the smoke, so I would judge it to be a little less integrated and harmonious than some other English/Balkan blends in my experience. (That’s not meant to be a criticism—it’s merely an observation.) My tin had only about 6 months of age on it and that could be a contributing factor--the tobaccos possibly have not had sufficient time to completely marry together.

The tobacco components seem to be blended in about the proper proportions—not too much of this and not too much of that--and they complement each other very well. This blend is so well-executed that I find it very difficult to take exception to it in any way whatever! In my opinion Maltese Falcon falls into what would be classified as a medium English/Balkan blend (leaning toward the light side of medium). I think that it is appropriate to classify this blend as an all-day smoke.

There is the suggestion of a little extra sweetness in this blend that doesn’t originate from tobacco. If I am not mistaken the mysterious spice that is mentioned in the description is the herb “deer tongue”. Deer tongue imparts a slightly sweet, herbal quality to tobacco.

NOTE: I'M BUMPING THIS UP TO A FULL 4-STARS!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Brazilia "Spider Web" Blast (Shape 63)

MarkT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkT (4)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

After taking some time to get to know this blend (I've just finished my first tin), this has become my favorite tobacco. My previous top three were Penzance, Odyssey and Westminster. This tobacco is better than all three. Its smoking characteristics are just as good as Penzance with a much more full and varied flavor. It burns better than Odyssey, rarely needing a relight, and its Virginias are sweeter and more prominent than Odyssey's. It is rich in Latakia like Westminster, but not as spicy, and it will not bite your tongue no matter what you do, unlike Westminster which can be a bit hard on the tongue sometimes.

Maltese Falcon is an amazing tobacco. I particularly like the interplay between the dark Latakia and the sweet Virginias and Orientals. It is the perfect combination of a tobacco that is easy to smoke and tastes great. Highly recommended.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As some reviewers have pointed out, I too am in a quandary at all the English/ Balkan/ Latakia blends from GLP and others. It is hard trying to pick the fine points and nuances out. I can only say , "I like this one". I decided to air and dry this blend a little more than needed and to smoke it in a short nose-warmer CLAY! I feel that the clay, while it smokes hot, can give a pure tobacco taste test. (BTW, don't want to do advertising, but if you want a quality tobacco ,"Clay" go to "Dawnmist Studios", lovely people, quality product & they ship to the US.) Back to the review after this word from our sponsor.

I noticed a nice balance , a creaminess and most notable an exotic herbal incense scent from the Oriental in this blend, when " French inhaled", very nice. The search was on, I thought it was "Lagonda", this was similar but less pronounced, then Tudor Castle, yes, closer, it could be a touch of Yenidje that I was picking out of the Maltese Falcon. ( Reviewer, " Ehring(39) seemed to pick this out also) . I'm not sure, but I will say that MF is smoother than either of the previous listed blends and is interesting.

Will I give this 4 stars, Never , not until I've smoked this over a longer period of time, but it has a good chance of getting there.

Pipe Used: Clay

Age When Smoked: 1 month

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)

I've been away from the pipe since early 2008. I divorced around that time and living life in the fast lane for a while I dropped pipes aside from a bowl once every few months. The upside to this is my stash of tins and jarred bulks have gotten some quality age on them. A tin of Maltese Falcon was the last bit of pipe tobacco I bought at that point. My reintroduction was on a night in January 2013 when I popped a tin after my girlfriend quizzed me about my tobacco and pipe collection. I popped a tin of this superb blend and packed a very small Stanwell Legend acorn. Immediately, my adoration for this gentle hobby was rekindled literally and figuratively as the flame ignited the leaves. There is a swirling spiciness to this tobacco- a very curry like sweet spiciness like the Indian Korma or the Thai Panang. To my tastes, the Latakia is here in a supporting role. The tangy orientals and sweet Virginias dominate, switching back and forth at various times as the cardamom, cumin and nutmeg flavors intrigue and delight. My sole complaint is that it's a tad dry, as others report. I've been pouring a tiny amount of Evian in its cap and top of the tobacco in the tin and putting in a ziplock bag to moisten up a bit. Try this stuff!!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

UPDATE: Boy, has this stuff grown on me! Unlike my first impression, this IS a classic latakia mixture. The key is aging, as is so often the case with GLP mixtures. I just finished up a couple of aged tins and the experience was totally different than my initial run.... this is a delicious, complex, and spicy English that is a solid medium in strength and fullness. It's not going to replace Odyssey in my rotation, but this blend is a relatively easy-going feast for latakia lovers. Excellent.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: One might think that GL Pease would have run out of ideas for English mixtures by now. I mean, seriously -- how many variations on "latakia + virginias + orientals + maybe a little something extra" can one man develop without becoming redundant?

Obviously, that time has not yet arrived. Not that Maltese Falcon is any kind of radical departure from other Pease offerings. It is composed of really good leaf (as usual), the components are superbly balanced (again, as usual), and its burning characteristics are decent enough (no surprise there). What makes this one interesting to me is the addition of a what Pease describes as a "discreet and mysterious spice." Is it a topping? A casing? Some odd oriental discovered in a remote Tibetan valley while on a trek to discover fabled Shangri La? Pease doesn't tell us, and I've already given up trying to guess what it is. At times it reminds me of incense (myrh) or even cumin, for crying out loud! Whatever. I will say that there's just enough of this "spice" to cause this tobacco's flavor profile to deviate from that of a typical English mixture. I don't know that this spice is quite special enough to really elevate it above other blends in the crowded genre of Englishes, but hey -- it might just be your Holy Grail.

Is this a classic blend? No, although Pease has blended more than his share of those. Is it a worthwhile stop for English afficiandos? Most definitely. Do I recommend it? Sure -- your mileage may vary, even if I don't plan on adding any more of it to my cellar.

Briarfire007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarfire007 (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have been smoking a pipe for about 7 years. All this time I have truly loved smoking a pipe. I love to look at pipes. I love reading about pipe manufacturers, tobaccos and pipe smoking. And I have enjoyed puffing on various blends. All this time I had not come across anything that would qualify as a “desert island” blend for me. There have been a couple of tobaccos that I fairly enjoyed, but nothing that really rang my bell. I read reviews describing delicious and creamy blends, but my experience was usually not as notable. But a few months ago I got around to opening up my tin of Maltese Falcon. The first bowl was FANTASTIC. I remember thinking that if every bowl was that good, then I had found my Arcadia.

The Falcon is smooth, creamy and just a little sweet. Not in any sort of cloying way. There is a flavor that you just can't put a finger on. Something different in this leaf jumps out at you from time to time. I have dedicated my meerschaum solely to this blend, and find that I am smoking that pipe more frequently than ever before. This smokes velvety smooth, and I think it has a great room note. This is one that is great to blow thru the nose. There is definitely nothing harsh about this English blend.

My 1st tin arrived VERY dry, but this did not seem to affect the smoking qualities. My next tin had a more typical moisture level, and seems to smoke even better for it. I play around with my packing methods with this one. I am finding some methods are so-so, while others make this one shine. I recently ordered a pound of this blend, and plan on ordering more.

If you are looking for something unique, give this one a try. If it doesn't float your boat, you can send what's left to me. Happy puffing!

euphoniumeister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
euphoniumeister (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Unlike Johannus Christus, the previous reviewer of this quite excellent blend, upon opening the tin, I thought less of the tin aroma than I did of the flavor. As it were, however, the tin aroma has grown on me. I absolutely love this blend! What to say first... Well, the tin aroma is much different than anything I've ever had before. The tobaccos have a casing that makes them all look darker and more red-velvet than they would appear otherwise. I think the latakia glistens as if it were wet. The cut, a very nice ribbon, is good and even, much more consistent than the coarser cuts GLPease uses in his Classic collection. When you light this bad-boy up, it presents you with a large range of flavors. For me, this is the height of a complex blend - It has the deep, bass-like and smokey notes of the latakia, but built upon that is a whole symphony of medium to bright flavors. The matured red virginias and the oriental leaf are perfectly used here, and they contribute a lot. In short, this is NOT a one-note symphony. Too, far from being overrun by the latakia in a bass-heavy way, there is a great evenness of flavor that encompasses the entire spectrum. If spoken about in terms of the visible spectrum, this means that there is a whole rainbow of nuance here. I assume that when others talk about a blend being complex, this is what they mean. Overall, I would give this blend absolutely top, top marks. Having tried this and Westminster, which I also enjoyed, I would prefer Maltese Falcon just about every time. In my mind, one could never get bored of this blend, there is just too much good stuff going on.

cbd2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbd2 (10)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really need to jump on the band-wagon with this blend so that others, hopefully, will hark to the "Highly Recommended" rating and give Maltese Falcon a try.

On my second bowl, I detected a hint of my beloved Dunhill Nightcap of yore plus a number of other 'truly' English blends I've tried (and some that I still smoke) over the years. But while there's generally nothing truly new under the sun when it comes to English blends, Maltese Falcon is the exception to the rule. It has a full-bodied taste to me that is lacking Nightcap (which I find "medium" bodied), and it has just enough Latakia to give the smoke some spicy zest that a good, solid English should have. The Virginias in this blend are exceptional, adding 'just enough' sweetness to the blend so that it has something to offset the bite that is often present in blends with cheap Virginias. The Orientals give it a sweet, velvety undertone and seem to be of equally high quality.

If I could afford it, this would be a 3-4 bowl-a-day smoke for me. As it is, I take for granted that the great tobaccos used here are a bit costly even though I do keep in mind that the tin is closer to 57 grams than the standard 50 gram tines, and I have to stretch this out each month. I would also note that, because of the popularity of this blend, I suppose, I've found it out-of-stock more than once, so if you become a fan and can afford it, it might be wise to stock up.

Highly recommended as a solid English blend that all should find simply delightful.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Maltese Falcon: GLP

I ave put off reviewing this till I have smoked enough to try and see beyond the Latakia- This was GLP conception after trying to reinvent Raven's Wing. I've had Raven's Wing- This is a Bird of a different feather Though I would be surprised if the receipes weren't much alike.

Raven's Wing boasted Cyprian and the much missed Syrian Latakia. For me that lended a smokey, sweet, exotic flavor.

This is much the same, yet the Orientals take the place of the Syrian- I really want to say Yendjie? Not just Izmir- There is a wisp of something in the background that is hauntingly familiar....But I can't put my finger on it. I'm currently smoking this in a Kinsale XL26- Fully rubed out and Air Packed. The flavor is in every exhale and it makes this latakia mixture so interesting I want to forget I generally don't like Latakia mixes.

This does benifit from some Air time as it comes a bit damp, But too dry, for me, made the Latakia a bit sharper- so I did like it a bit moister than usual. Either way it burned very clean didn't get bitter at the bottom, and never got tedious (which is my general curse for Latakia blends)-

I could see this being an all day blend for the english lover. I will stock up a bit for those Champagne days when I look away from my usual Burley/Virginia blends. Very much worth trying- 2 thumbs up.

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Wowsers! I have just gone through my first tin of this and it is a thoroughly satisfying tobacco. I love English blends and this has all that I love in an English blend. I prefer to smoke these types of blends in large-size bowls, at least a large group 4 or, even better, group 5. I have smoked Maltese Falcon in at least seven large pipes, including a couple of Dunhills, a couple of large Cavicchi's, a large Ser Jacopo and a Mastro de Paja "poker". I've even had a couple of smokes of this in a meerschaum. Each and every smoke has been exceptional. I believe a "clean" pipe lends itself best to this blend - by "clean" I mean a pipe that is well aired, well dried and receives a good swabbing out with pipe cleaners after each smoke and a couple days of rest between smokes. I initially ordered three tins in order to try the tobacco out while allowing the second tins to gain some age; immediately after trying the first few pipe bowls I ordered another three tins for further aging and continued smoking... I should have ordered at least six more tins as my favorite etailer, Smoking Pipes (Low Country Tobaccos - and no affiliation on my part) is sold out. I am now awaiting this becoming available in the 8 oz. tins so that I can stockpile as much of this as possible. While I love GLP Westminster, Caravan, Abdingdon and Charing Cross and have substantial amounts of those (particularly Westminster and Charing Cross) stockpiled, Maltese Falcon has, at least in this first tin, met my complete desire in what I look for in a fully satisfying English blend. I'll continue to enjoy my Sam Gawith blends, my occasional Dunhill (Night Cap and 965), C&D's Byzantium as well as a few VaPers of various brands, but I can see already that Maltese Falcon will remain at the top... unless Greg Pease comes up with something that exceeds even this. (I can't wait to see what Maltese Falcon will be like with about 3 - 6 months aging.) Just an all-around fantastic blend.

LeGunnCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeGunnCat (18)
Medium Mild Medium Very Strong

The tin aroma is smoky and as jakeolsen mentioned it does remind me of Kansas City Style BBQ sauce! I rubbed it out a bit and noticed a rather strange piece of tobacco that looked suspiciously like a wood chip.

The Latakia in this stands out wonderfully against the Virginias. This smoke burns very cool producing a well rounded, medium taste. Mild floral notes in the nose and somewhat exotic flavor that's very mild on the center of the tongue.

Halfway through the bowl the nicotine was more noticeable after some heavy puffing but the burn remained cool with no bite. Impressive!

The room note was very unpleasant to the girlfriend, she asked me to return to the office(where I am frequently sent under these circumstances).

This new blend from G.L. Pease is something he should be well pleased with. I believe it is a perfect blend for both the neophyte as well as the experienced smoker. It has enough flavor to satisfy and burns remarkably well while staying cool the whole while. I will be buying more of this to age.

jakeolsen2219 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jakeolsen2219 (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Upon popping the tin I was hit with what I can only describe as a barbecue essence(?) This stuff was definitely smoky, but had a very slight Virginia tang to it. (Maybe this is why the thoughts of barbecue?) The presentation to me was much like Westminster. In fact, I'd say this is around one shade darker than Westminster(comparing the two side by side).

Upon first light I was blasted with that intense latakia flavor. I quickly learned that, like Red Rapparee, to smoke this blend too quickly would be a huge error on my part. Once I settled down, I began to really feel the interaction between the components of this blend. Just when the latakia would start to seem to cover all, there would be a little spice from the orientals, and then a touch of tang from the Virginias, begging to be noticed. It was a symphony of flavors, with the latakia often stealing the spotlight. All of the components are quality, and I'm sure this will be obvious with a little patience in smoking.

Overall, I found this blend to be delightfully intriguing and complex. I have only had one bowl thus far, and so I almost feel as if I am doing a disservice by reviewing it on first impression alone. This blend did have a little nicotine kick for me. I would really recommend purchasing several blends to cellar away. I can only imagine the greatness of this blend when the latakia mellows a tad, and all of the components really sing a wonderful song together.

Gingerbaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gingerbaker (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have recently returned to smoking a pipe after about a twenty-five year hiatus. Quite a lot of changes have occurred in the meantime, I must say, and not all to the good.

Gone is my local Pipe Shop, where one could try a bowl of many of the proprietors hand blends, or have one's own tastes met by a custom blend. Gone is Balkan Sobranie, and nearly all the Dunhill line, including my favorite tinned tobacco - Nightcap. My jaw dropped when I saw what a tin of the venerable Nightcap goes for on E-bay!

Enter the internet, and shopping by tobacco review. I purchased a smorgasbord of English-Balkan - Virginias based blends, with a couple others which included some burley for an alternative universe.

I must say that the only tobacco I ordered in any bulk was 4 ounces of Squadron Leader, based in no small part the recommendations of this forum. I regret to say it has been the most disappointing of all the selections I am trying out.

To my palate, Squadron leader is is too bitter, doesn't have enough Latakia smokiness, and the Orientals are too forward, leading to a flavor which is too arid. The flavors don't 'dance' for me, and after several bowls under different conditions, I just can't recommend this blend.

However, in contrast, I find GLP's Maltese Falcon to be extremely satisfying. Smoky, sweet, complex - now this blend 'dances' for me, with flavors developing intriguingly throughout the bowl. And very mild compared to S.L., despite arriving too dry in the tin.

Twenty-five years ago I spent a lot of time trying to find the 'perfect' English blend, and I think I have stumbled upon it here with Maltese Falcon. Rich, sweet, smoky and complex yet smokes like velvet.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Update 03/23/2009

For the sake of clarity, I had to add the verb "taste" in my review. I thought it was implicit I was referring to the taste of the tobacco upon lighting up. It looks like I was misundertood by one of my distinguished fellow reviewers. I apologize for any confusion created.

This tobacco was a first class disappointment. So many different tobaccos but extremely BLAND in taste. I felt like I was smoking air.

Not recommended, save your money! __________________________________

Original review 03/14/2009

The best part with Maltese Falcon is when you light up and TASTE all these different ranges of sweetness at once. Very interesting! I think there might be a very light toppping that was added. But unfortunately, it's the only interesting part. After a couple minutes, that pleasure is gone. Pity!

Upon opening the tin, I was under the impression that I was in presence of some Balkan Sasieni, thus a Balkan blend rather than an English blend. It smelled exactly the same, the sweet aroma combined with the spiceness/woodness of the Latakia.

The tobacco is on the dark side and composed of a semi shag cut blended with some partially rubbeb out flakes.

Only problem is the tin I opened displayed a very dry tobacco. There was no minimal moisture so I had to put back in the Coleman cooler. After 2 weeks or so, it had a bit of moisture to make it half decent for smoking.

As I was saying, the best part is upon lighting up. Afterward, the tobacco goes on to become more and more bland, TASTE WISE. Which is very surprising for such a combination of tobaccos.

This is my third shot at a GL Pease tobacco. I tried Haddo's Delight, which was NO delight and then I tried Fillmore which did not fill me. It will definitively be my last shot. After 3 strikes, you're out.

I believe that GL Pease products are just not worth the money. All things considered, I will stick with Balkan Sasieni which is just short of 4$ cheaper than MF for a 50 g tin, and gives me a lot more smoking pleasure.

I will not rebuy and will very probably not even finish this tin. I believe GL Pease is way overated for the quality they provide. As for the second tin I bought, I will donate it to someone less fortunate than I am.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (20)

This is a dark collection of leaves. It makes me think that there might be some stoved VAs in here. The nose of the tin is a smoky sweetness.

In the pipe, this one burns well right out of the tin. There is a nice play between smoke and sweet, almost like certain barbecue sauces. Weaving in and out, but mostly out, is a little bit of incense-like spice. But mostly this is a sweet latakia blend above all else, and if you like that, you can smoke it all day. This is a bit of a departure from the inspiration for this blend, the old Raven's Wing, which was quite a bit fuller and deeper, and maybe with a bit less sweetness.

The quality is evident with this one, just as it is with all GLP blends. But the sweetness is overbearing to me, just as it is with the Frog Morton blends. If you find yourself liking that sweet latakia style, you'll like this. It's just not for me, which isn't a problem, since most of the rest of the Pease latakia blends tend toward the smokier, drier blends.

I will say, however, that I did have one of my favorite pipe weekends with this blend. We were visiting relatives for Thanksgiving in SW Portland, and in the early morning I'd get up and walk the dog through the hilly neighborhood around his house, and being able to look east and see Mt. Hood with some smoky sweetness smoldering away. It was a couple of really nice mornings, even though the tobacco wasn't really for me.

Pipe Used: Tsuge kaga bent egg & others

Similar Blends: Frog Morton.

JoPo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoPo (7)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Probably my favorite tobacco and so far the only Latakia heavy mixture whose aroma is appreciated, maybe tolerated, by my wife. I tried Maltese Falcon as part of my seemingly never ending search for a Cyprian Latakia heavy tobacco with an aroma that my wife would not complain about. I was lukewarm on this blend at first but it really grew on me. Its flavors and aromas seem to become deeper and more interesting with each bowl. It’s a good cool smoking blend with full Cyprian Latakia flavor and aroma, set on a solid sweetish red Virginia/Oriental back bone, and enhanced with a touch of Perique like spice. Whatever this "mysterious spice" is it seems to have the dual benefit of "improving" the room note and dressing up the smoke. I find that it pairs well with black tea, scotch, or just a glass of water. Bottom line: A good cool full flavored smoke that won't knock you on your ass with nicotine and maybe, just maybe will prevent an argument when lit in the house. I recommend this blend to anyone who likes Cyprian Latakia, Perique spiced blends, or cigars.

Pipe Used: Dunhill 4109 Shell Briar; Peterson Kildare 106

Similar Blends: Dunhill My Mixture 965, Frog Morton, Escudo.

The Logo-Mat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Logo-Mat (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This reminds me of Frog Morton also, minus the sweetness. I'm finding it to be one of my go-to's and will surely buy another tin when I run out. Although the main flavor is earthy, woodsy, etc- I often taste a note of anise when smoking it. This is the first tobacco that really put me into kind of a trace/indian peace pipe moment. Smells and tastes great.

bman64 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bman64 (44)

My English Blend experiences have been Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe as well as Sutliffe Westminster. NC is a 4+ blend for me, EMP a 3, Sutliffe a 1. MF has been very difficult to quantify, in part due to its taste changing as I progress through the 2 oz. tin.

I think I burned through the majority of the bright Vas early on, and now I'm into Orientals and Latakias, and seemingly equal portions of both. Am I now smoking a Balkan blend? I'll say this, the first severals bowls-with Vas present, seemed to require many many relights, aggravating to no end. Now I burn thru bowls with minimal fire, and the taste now is smooth and mellow.

I like this taste very much, would be better than EMP for all day smoke. It's coarse cut is pleasing to me, but maybe I should have mixed it prior to smoking. I'll buy another can if other GL Pease blends prove less tasty.

UPDATED: Absence does make my heart grow fonder for this blend.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)

As someone else commented, GLP does make a lot of Va, Lat, Or blends, but this is one of the best ones i've tasted so far. I swear i tasted something like indian curry in the middle of the first bowl i had. Unusual spices but well worth a try. As always, top notch tobacco, whether it's to your taste or not.

Hmm... well... after working on this tin and finally finishing it, what went through my head are comments I've heard about GLP tobaccos, such as "How many different blends can a blender produce with just latakia, orientals and virginias". This one, had it been GLP's most recent entry in this genre, would make me think Mr Pease had hit his limit. Whereas Meridian (which came out later) makes a bold statement, this one sort of fades into the woodwork for me.

Nothing wrong with this blend. It's a reasonably potent latakia mixture with decent sweetness, although not as sweet as the tin description made it out to be. I suppose like most smokers I delve into a new GLP tin with certain expectations of high complexity and/or unique flavors. This one seemed middle-of-the-road to me, and didn't distinguish itself the way Meridian, Quiet Nights, Charing Cross, Odyssey and some others do. Rather than "silky" on the tongue, I found this one to be dry and sort of "chalky". The components seemed all there but I was, quite frankly, bored. Keep in mind that these are just my perceptions but this one fell into the "ordinary" realm, along with Westminster and Union Square. None of those three distinguish themselves in their genres, and seem less fully realized than several competitive blends. I know of a few people that truly love those blends, so the issue is strictly that they don't produce any jump factor in me personally. But I also wonder if this one has fewer followers than most of the other GLP blends.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Haven't reviewed in a while since I've been smoking my favorites exclusively. This is a new one for me and it was excellent. The burn was perfect, a nice latakia aroma and taste, great for anytime of the day. Not as good as Westminster, but close. 3.5 stars.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: Bought in bulk from the very friendly folks at Romeo's in Rogers, AR.

I believe this is my favorite Pease English blend to date!

Aroma: Quintessential medium to full english, but with a tad more sweetness than I'm used to in such a Latakia-heavy blend.

Appearance: Quite dark, looks like at least 50% Latakia by appearance, but I don't think the ratio is actually that high. There's the occasional bright yellow leaf here and there, and the rest is brown to golden leaf. There are several twigs (actually veins, I suppose) in the blend, along with some nickel-sized chunks of Latakia. But this just adds to the fun. I like opening up one of those big leaves and dreaming about growing my own tobacco this summer.

Pipe 1: Savinelli Bulldog Pipe 2: Peterson Dublin Pipe 3: Nording Signature Freehand Pipe 4: Stanwell Vario Billiard

Flavor: This tobacco shines in any and every pipe I've tried. The charring light is usually my favorite part of the pipe ceremony (same with cigars), where the flavors are toastiest and warmest, and this is no exception. The toasty orientals meld with the very mildly sweet Virginias, and it's all overlaid by the rich, slightly bitter smokiness of the Latakia. This is in my opinion the best balanced of the Pease heavy-Latakia blends, at least for my Latakia-lovin' palate.

As the bowl progresses, the light toastiness quickly gives way to a rich and hearty smoke that begs for a campfire and a calm, starry night. The room note is actually really nice, like burnt toast or steaks burning on the grill with a sweet, charred honey rub.

I have no trouble keeping it lit, but then this sample was quite dry. I believe the boys at Romeo's had opened an 8 oz. tin, and they bagged up two ounces of it for me. I'm sure it's a bit more moist when fresh from the tin, but this level of dryness works perfectly for me. I just stuff it in carelessly, one or two or three layers depending on the pipe, and put the fire to it. And the embers very obediently offer up a sacrifice of rich flavor that coerces you to just sit back and think about important things.

Four stars for this excellent Pease English, and it's on my "stock up" list.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Maltese Falcon is a very nice blend. It has a very smoky characteristic that is creamy and well balanced. It has a nice aroma and sweet and tangy finish to it that I find appealing. The Westminster has a more balanced palate to me but this one is good for a very nice change of pace. I highly recommend this blend for experienced smokers as well as new smoker who like to try new things. Fans of aromatics won't like it but fans of English blends might find it appealing.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

"I am a Virginia smoker, Latakia blends all taste the same"

Well, that was me. I guess I'll have to change my tune. Is it the cold S. New Jersey winter this year? I don't know.

This is wonderful. It's complex, but still is a treat if you don't have the time to think about what you're smoking. Latakia? Yep it's there all the time and it tastes and smells beautifully. Is it taking over the blend? In no way. It, along with the Virginias, play very well together to let you know you're smoking a true English masterpiece. Not enough Oriental? It's not an oriental spice takeover, which I do enjoy sometimes, but it is probably not supposed to be- or he probably would have blended it in that fasion. But, with that being said, they are there in a condiments fasion weaving in and out to keep things interesting.

Green? My tin is dated with one month on it- and it tastes superb. Age will only marry the flavors more and make it unbelievably spectacular. But green, no way, just a tad young because it does have a wonderful virginia leaf base. To me, green means weed still in the field. Processing, pressing and curing kill the green leaf. Just my two cents.

You can't go wrong with this one. And I'm screwed because I don't have a large Balkan/English cellar. My wallet's gonna take a hit.

And, I like the descriptions on the tins. They are fun to read and can help an idiot like me decide which direction to go when chosing a blend. But, don't go by me I once wanted to buy a VW because it came with a bicycle- I'm a marketer's dream!

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I passed on this one several times thinking it was perhaps a bit of a gimmick. I loved the tin art and wondered if I was "falling for the label" like one can get suckered buying wine. BUT, my kind wife bought me a tin for christmas, completely unsolicited, and I had the pleasure of making it's acquaintance.

There is a lot of latakia in Maltese Falcon, but that should turn no one away. In fact, I would recommend it to someone who thinks they do not like latakia. The VA and Oriental component is perfect in counterpoint, but always playing second fiddle. There is just enough to keep this blend from disappearing into a gray and boring lat-bomb.

There is a noticeable spice added that is wonderful. I don't know what it is, and I have tried to unveil the mystery by sniffing everything in our spice cabinet to no avail. It has a north african flavor such as coriander, cumin, and cinnamon. But like the label says, it is discreet, and only serves to enhance the smoke -- never distracts. It BELONGS in the blend.

Maltese Falcon is my favorite blend to blow through the nose. It gets the nostrils huffing and flaring in the same involuntary manner that you might experience smelling some incredible food in a frying pan...or after witnessing a sultry smile from your object of desire. The ribbon is slightly damp, but dries quickly and burns well regardless of dry time.

I can only highly recommend GLP MF without reservation. If you enjoy Pease's English blends, Maltese Falcon will not disappoint.

Unlike the leaden bird in the John Huston classic, this Maltese Falcon my in fact be made of gold beneath it's dark veneer.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

Maltese Falcon is one of the most elegant English mixtures I've smoked. The overall flavor is not dominated by the Latakia addition, which have been added in this blend just to catch a distinctive English taste.

The sweetness of fine Virginia mixed up with a great spicy sweet oriental makes this blend very special for my taste. As I said, Latakia is present only for a cool delicious smoke, which does not mask the sweet exotic mixture of Virginia-Oriental.

The Orientals in this mixture are loaded with sugar and a silky, oily, spicy taste. I am not sure but they may be Yenidje or Izmir (or both) leaf. I don't remember when I've tasted last time this well some Orientals and Virginias in a English mixture. IMO the English mixtures of the market are generally loaded with much Latakia, again IMO, mainly for masking the unsuccesful Va-Oriental mixtures. Well Maltese Falcon is not one of those blends. It is sweet, exotic, flavorful and extremely nicely balanced. The Latakia power suits very well for a mild to medium strength Smokes cool and slow, leaving a long lasting delightful taste on my palat and tongue.

BTC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTC (3)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love sampling new tabaccos, but this blend has been one of my regulars since it came out. In case you're curious, my primaries are: MF, Samarra, Westminister, Epiphany with Blackwoods Flake and Old Gowrie adding some variety.

I favor Latakia blends, and this one certainly doesn't lack in that department. I think GLP struck a good balance here, it's not too heavy, but there's enough focus on the Latakia for you to enjoy its dimension. Smoky and sweet - as I said, this is one of my regulars.

As with many Latakia blends, this one is not so popular with the non-smokers. That being said, my wife has gotten used to the sweetness, and she enjoys it now (or just lies about it to keep me happy).

19volks71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
19volks71 (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

This deep blend goes great for breakfast. The full taste is better than a cup of coffee.

I typically smoke it on the way to work each day and at night.

Pease has really done it with this one.

-The wife loves it. -The leaves are not balanced. They support in varying degrees. -It's relaxing as hell.

I endorse this one and always have cans in stock.

Leafmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leafmaster (3)

I have a balcony where I smoke my outdoor tobacco and I smoke my indoor tobacco inside the house. I classify my tobacco based on the room note I see in these reviews. This is one of my outdoor tobaccos. First thing in the morning with a cup of hot strong coffee. This blend is very rewarding and tastes just like the described tobaccos with no added casing that I can tell. Burns great with no relights. I did not used to like English blends that much but this one changed my mind and now it is my favorite.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)

When you open the tin the Latakia just smacks you right in the face. Really smokey and peaty. It a complements a nice glass of Ardbeg single malt perfectly.

It smokes smooth and cool and I find it to be very well rounded and mild mannered.

No bite at all. Every so often you get a taste of the mysterious spice. Great stuff.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is excellent tobacco if you're into orientals and latakias. It's like Robusto with the latakia turned up. The dryness level is perfect out of the tin for my tastes and you're not paying for water as the tin is filled to the brim.

It is full bodied, mildly sweet, spicy, and has some creamyness to it. To deal with the large cut leaves, I've dedicated a jumbo bowled Savinelli Baronet to this and Robusto. These course cut blends work well in this pipe and smoke nice and cool.

dhbillings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dhbillings (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love the complexity and richness of the smoking experience that comes with a good English or Balkan tobacco. So after smoking GLP's Odyssey almost exclusively for a while, I decided to give Maltese Falcon a try.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a nice, lightly sweet aroma. The coloration was a mixture of darker and lighter tobaccos and the moisture level was essentially perfect. I packed my pipe, struck a match and started puffing. I found that in many ways, this blend is an "Odyssey Light" - meaning that it is a lighter smoke than Odyssey due to there being less Latakia - but the more I have smoked Maltese Falcon, the more I appreciate its complexity. I can taste the sweetness of the Virginias, the smoky punch of the Latakia, the spice of the Orientals, and that added little something in the "flue-cured leaf" (which is apparently an unsweetened Cavendish). And all these flavors mix together perfectly, without anything overpowering the rest of the blend.

If I were to have one complaint about Maltese Falcon, it would be that it seems that the cut is not as great as it could be. I have found a couple of full uncut leaves in my most recent tin, and some of the cut leaves need to be cut even more. Still this tobacco is a truly great blend that, as the tin accurately states, is "a wonderful all-day English style mixture."

Kapnismologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kapnismologist (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A predominantly dark mixture of black broken ribbon mixed with cuts of mahogany, light brown, and tan. The tin nose is rounded and earthy with a sweet and slightly smoky aroma. Neither overly moist nor dry in the tin, the mixture packs and takes to the match with ease.

Marked by a dark sweetness, in the bowl it offers creamy notes of coffee and caramel underscored by the slight sourness of Orientals and the pine-like smokiness of Cyprian Latakia. Possessing little in the way of high notes, the individual components of the mixture are well balanced, working together in such a way so as to avoid the heavy, cloying character often associated with Latakia-heavy preparations such as this. The smoke is medium to heavy bodied with a smooth, silky richness that lingers on a long finish. Tongue bite is never an issue.

Although the reviewer's first experience with the mixture was, it seems, with one of the tainted "February batches" in which sweetened Cavendish was mistakenly substituted for unsweetened, the tin on which this particular review is based came straight from C&D with the assurance that it was the real deal (dated 4/12/09). An enjoyable change of pace from the everyday English/Balkan style smoking mixture, Maltese Falcon smokes like it looks, tastes like it smells, and delivers what it promises.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)

I felt inasmuch as I had moved the Falcon to my constant companions shelf of honor. I should drop a line about why . I continue to be amazed at the many subtleties you find in English Blends. Odyssey made the honor roll long ago and was followed by Westminster, and Samarra. Falcon brought a new and fantastic blend of pure joy. Its clear that Mr Pease has the edge in working with these tobaccos. The tobacco goes to a canning jar and set aside for as long as possible. I am now smoking the big three after setting aside for nearly a year. This is as good as it gets! Thanks Greg

Oouder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oouder (11)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Maltese Falcon has become so well represented in my cellar that you would think this blend had been around for the past 15 + years. I can't get enough of this stuff. Being a huge oddessey fan it was a no brainer to give this stuff a shot and if you ask me this is an all day smoker where oddessey is not as much as I would love it to be. Love the latakia and the topper whatever that is.

Archdeacon Grantly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archdeacon Grantly (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a delicious English Blend. There is a note of sweetness that some may not care for, but I love it. Stronger in flavor than Squadron Leader and some other popular English Blends, but certainly not too strong. Similar in strength to Kensington and much easier on the palatte than some of Pease's other blends such as Caravan.

Highly recommended.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

10/24/08

Well gentlemen, this is my first venture into a GL Pease tobacco, and I'm not disappointed. I love Latakia, and this stuff has a bunch of it. The cut is unusual, almost looks like it was cut by hand. There are some very unusual tastes, which like others have mentioned, is hard to describe. This stuff reminds me of a stronger version of Bombay Court, which is in my top five favorite blends. I like this stuff alot. In fact it's even better than I was expecting, and it only got better towards the end of the bowl. Sweet, salty, smokey, and I think this might have some Turkish in it as well? Yummy stuff. If you like a moderately strong English blend, this one won't disappoint...

10/27/08

I wouldn't have thought that a few days after opening a tin would make such a change, but a change it has gone through, without a doubt. It's gotten a sweeter taste, and the Latakia isn't quite so overpowering, as it was upon the initial opening of the tin. Definitely a keeper in my rotation...

zimmy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zimmy (6)

Listen Up Fellow Citizens!!

This one should NOT be missed!

I have never really liked Latakia much. In most blends it strikes me like a burning gunpowder taste. (Like all those cheap fireworks we used to set off as kids...)

On my last large order from Cornell & Deihl, they were kind enough to send me a small sample of Maltese Falcon. (1oz. I think.)

I can't rave enough about this tobacco, and the smoking experience you will no doubt enjoy. Yes, some reviewers who like their English strong, (bordering on industrial paint stripper,) will find this one not as strong as they are used to.

The blend just sings from 1st to last light. The Latakia is always present, but weaves in and out with a symphony of other flavors and notes. It stays interesting throughout the bowl, and one flavor never takes over. The Virginia and Orientals are top notch. Truly another example where the sum of the parts creates a whole new entity, eclipsing what you thought the sum would be.

It lights well, smokes clean, burns down to a fine ash with little dottle. It gets a tad stronger past mid-bowl.

I can't stress enough that, as I have tried many different blends, and making a true study of blends, this one is tops. So many Latakia blends to me are just monotone. Full-on smokey, burnt flavor.

This blend has me actually craving that unique Latakia flavor. Probably because it is not overwhelming.

If you are already a Latakia fan, this one could be a great lighter smoke. If you have hesitated on trying an English, this one is a great starter.

Best of luck, and happy smoking!

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)

This a terrific blend. I personally love virginia tobacco mixed with latakia and oriental but Pease has hit the mark with this blend . It has a surprisingly pleasant scent in the tin as well. It's an all day smoke for sure.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

I have smoked two tins of Maltese Falcon. The first was overly moist and needed drying out before smoking. The second tin had a moisture level right where I like it, not too moist, not too dry, perfect. The tobaccos were identical in all other ways. Falcon is a medium English, but there is a fullness to the taste that comes at you with authority. It is not artificially flavored in any way, it is pure tobacco, but the flavor is rich, almost creamy. There is a cohesiveness to the blending of the tobaccos that creates a unity in the flavor so that one component does not dominate the others. When I first light Falcon I can smell the orientals and they are wonderful. Quickly the fragrence is of a normal English blend. But this is not a normal blend. This is far too good for that description. I have several open tins of very good English ready for smoking. My first choice is the Falcon. I rank this blend at the top of the heap of English blends currently available. Oh, I need to add that I can smoke Maltese Falcon all day if I wish without any problem. It just seems to be right for all occasions.

Cantorman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantorman (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

An excellent tobacco, I found this just a little heavy to be smoked by itself. I know, I know, some people will just shrug and shake their heads. Since I find it just too much for me to smoke by itself, this has become my all purpose blender, a tobacco that makes anything taste amazing. Added to all sorts of different things and BAM! It added generous bottom notes, spice, and wondeful texture. Like all darker virginias, it smell like catsup. Get over it, it's the sugars on the leaf. Stinky Catsup=yummy virginias.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Blimey! I do believe Bogey done put Applewood Bacon in my 'baccy! Really. No kidding. A slightly sweet undertone reminds me of brown sugar, but not as intense as Astley 109. The smoke is more fruity than the usual English Latakia focused blends, and has a salty-sweet character weaving in and out of the smoke. I wonder if I can find some blonde dame to roll up some of this in a Sam Spade style ciggie. Gotta go. Joel Cairo is at the door waiting to get B!%ch slapped. Then I'm off to the C. Errol Madre to watch the mud dry.

Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

The stuff that dreams are made of? Well, I dunno, but definitely a delicious medium English. GLP is, to me, hit-or-miss -- but this one is definitely a hit. Previous reviewers have described the taste very accurately: perfectly balanced, with a wonderful latakia at once softened by Orientals and complicated by Virginias. It reminds me of some of the best Buteras, like Latakia #2 and Pelican (it falls somewhere between the two). Definitely a ketchup/BBQ tin aroma, recalling McClelland. The "mysterious spice," however, is very mild, running through it all like a fine thread. I wish someone could figure out what it is! The main effect is to add a hint of molasses-like sweetness in the background.

Congratulations to Pease for the blend -- clearly, "a man of nice judgment and many resources" -- and ZuluCollector for the excellent label design.

EtOH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EtOH (7)

There's not much more to say about this tobacco than what has already been said. Of good quality tobacco, this blend is milder than some of the latakia laden English blends and the Virginias are definitely prominent in the taste of the smoke. This could be an all-day-every-day blend of choice being that it is not too complex yet flavorfull enough to keep you interested. Three stars only because of the lack of complexity.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

Maltese Falcon, IMHO, is another hit from Mr. Pease in a long line of hits. This is a very flavorful blend. The Latakia, orientals and the Virginias work very well together, announcing their presence but not overpowering any part of the blend. This could easily be an all day smoke for the English/ Balkan lover. Maltese Falcon loaded easily in several different size pipes. A bit too moist from the tin, a few minutes or airing rendered it ready for the match. This blend was consistently smooth and cool throughout the bowl, but was by no means monochromatic. Subtle variences in the taste kept me wondering what flavor would come through next. When the bowl was finished, there was left only a gray ash. No gurgle, no tongue bite and no soggy dottle. Thank you, Mr. Pease, for another wonderfully flavorfull blend. Very Highly Recommended.

Titus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Titus (3)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Bought a tin of this from cornell&Diehl to see what all the excitement was about and was not disappointed. The aroma from the tin shouts "English". The look of it says quality. To smoke this is sheer pleasure for even the most discerning puffer. I like to pack it in a Ser Jacopo bulldog and blew through a whole tin in a week. Found myself thinking about it all day. There is a strange spice taste in it that has a hypnotic effect on me. This is a true all day English and I reccomend it to all. A Classic smoke.

Raynyct Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raynyct (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an excellent English blend that tastes like blends I used to smoke 20 to 30 years ago. Very smooth, with a good quantity of smoke. After letting it dry a little, it's easy to light, doesn't require relights, and smokes down to a white ash.

The Virginias, orientals, and latakia all play their parts throughout the smoke. I think it's an excellent all day blend.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The latest GLPease offering is very Dunhill-ish in style. Not the crappy Dunhill blends of nowadays, but the good ones of old! Personally I don't find it very similar to Raven's Wing... but it sure is an excellent tobacco, very nutty, with a bold Virginia base and a huge leathery smokiness. Not a simple Latakia-feast, and that's why I said that it reminded me of some good Dunhills of old like Standard Mixture or London Mixture, perhaps even more than Westminster (which was MEANT to be a replica of London Mixture).

What else to say to avoid repeating myself? It is a great tobacco, with a perfect cut and moisture, which packs and smokes great, with loads of flavour, easy to enjoy casually or contemplatively. A great medium-full English mixtures with no frills: simply great respect for tradition, and for a truly classic style.

Personally I enjoy Westminster a bit better (it is even more consistent, and more "unique" in my rotation)... but you really can't go wrong with such a tobacco. Its main asset is that it already tastes aged and timeless straight from a fresh tin... and that alone is a huge feat!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend had me fooled a bit. I was not expecting such tangy VA tobacco. The blend was masterfully blended to provide a health portion of Latakia without overwhelming. The only disappointment was the almost lack of play from the orientals. This tobacco was a bit strong to smoke all day but is a good afternoon blend to savor when you are finished for the day.

BigMonsterTruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigMonsterTruck (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Rich, yet not overpowering. Full, yet delicate. This is excellent tobacco. I wish I had a better tobacco vocabulary, because I just can't describe how tasty and smooth this tobacco is.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is so far one of the top 5 English I have smoked. Smoked a bowl right after I open the tin. Comes in a dry side which I like. It burns very well just with one match. The room note is a bit strong for my wife. This goes well after a heavy dinner.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Sample is from 3/08, moisture content just right (when pinched hard, some bits stick together). Prefer meerschaum pipes with this blend & most of my English/Oriental blends.

I tend to review blends I really like, and this is one. Primarily, I prefer straight VA's, with a weakness toward Red VA's, but switch to Latakia/Oriental blends as a balance. As such, I like blends with a light sweetness or caramel undertones of which MF is consistent from start to finish. It requires a couple re-lights, but that's ok as the moisture content passes the flavor through nicely. Also, the flavor doesn't become too strong nearing the bowl's end, it's a nice linear build up, and enjoyable to the last crumb. It's also a cool smoke, never detected a bite.

What ever the "secret spice" is, it seems to bridge the gap between sweet VA's & the astringency I sense in a lot of Latakia blends. Hopefully the moisture content on later production is the same as other posters noted later production a bit dry. For now, I will add more to the cellar.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

Another Latakia blend that does'nt leave my mouth tasting like @$$, Thank you God! This is a bit of a strange one though. At first light you get a good hit of flavor from all of the componants, Virginias and Orientals nicely mingling with the Latakia. The Latakia not being as dominant in the bowl as it is in the tin but still leads the pack. But here is where it gets a little strange, about the middle of the bowl the Latakia seems to dissapear, which for me is OK since the Virginias and Orientals stand up nicely on there own, Its just odd that the almighty and all powerfull Latakia gives in. For me thats a first. But again It all seems to work well !!! And as for the mystery spice ...??? Who knows?

Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Another hit by GLPease among Balkans (or English, according to his own definition). This one relies on dark leaves and Latakia, with nice Orientals in the background. Very consistent and satisfying for Latakia fans. I cannot detect the "mysterious spice", but I wouldn't remove it if it was to change this mixture's taste a bit. Outstanding.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

If you like Cyprian Latakia smoothed out by something a tad sweet then this is for you. It is bolder than Early Morning Pipe and perfect to start the day. There are so many blends of this type it is hard to really judge which one stands out, Maltese Falcon edges most and it is the one I turn to when I want that little change. I don't find this full bodied as some do. Smoke this slow and enjoy.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (36)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is exceptional quality tobacco. The description is accurate. The latakia is well balanced with the orientals, and the flavors run deep. My only criticism is that it is very mild-bodied and somewhat unsatisfying.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I have been a fan of Frogmorton for years and find Maltese Falcon to be similar to my tastes. However, it doesn't have the sweetness of Frogmorton. I like to call it "Frogmorton-dry." It is well done by all accounts like all Pease blends I have tried. A full Latakia experience with the classic oriental and VA component in support. Thanks Mr. Pease for conjuring up another winner.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favorite of the Pease Latakia/Virginia blends. I tend toward Virginia based tobaccos, and the sweeetness in the Virginias (and maybe the "secret spice?)nicely rounded out what I would generally consider to be an English blend. First bowl was smoked in an old Saseini London Made Two Dot medium apple that I picked up in a rural Ohio antique store for 12 bucks. Great combination!

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Greg always uses great tobaccos in his blends and this is no exception. This blend smoked perfectly for me, but after finishing the tin, I have to conclude that the flavoring in this blend is not my cup o' tea.

It reminded me a bit of Dear Tongue, but not quite. Can't put my finger on it, but the sweetness gets to me a bit...

Overall, this is a great, slightly flavored, English mixture.

Give it a whirl, you might enjoy it greatly...

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Overly dried tobacco. The tin aroma was delicious but the smoking experience, very disappointing.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

This is a nice, well-behaved, latakia-featuring smoke that gives that great brown sugar and liquid smoke aroma that I really like. It was very moist in the tin, but as it was acceptable that way I smoked through the tin before drying it out as much as I probably should have. One problem, at least with this particular tin: it tended to crumble and leave 5-7 smokes worth of dust in the bottom. I will definitely return to this one.

Dr. Hall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hall (15)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I tried to get to know this blend for a while but have come to the conclusion it's just not for me. There's some flavoring I can't put my finger on that just doesn't taste right to me, sort of a sour-plastic-mustiness that detracts from the blend. In my opninion the Latakia in this one is overpowering and the Vriginia sweetness subdued. Having smoked just about all of Pease's Latakia-oriental blends now, I'm realizing that he doesn't use the same orientals in every blend, and this one has a "mysterious spice" (i.e. some oriental variety) that isn't quite there enough and doesn't suit my tastes when it is there. If you want sweet and spicy with some Latakia that doesn't overwhelm, try Pease's Samarra instead.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Purchased 3 tins from the original tinning in January 2008. I opened a tin on January 2010. I smoked about a third of the tin then misplaced the Mason jar. It drove me crazy until I found it last week in my car (no pun intended).

Another very nice English blend from GLP with a unique spice that I cannot identify. Has excellent burning qualities. A wonderful change of pace but not an everyday blend for me. I would prefer a little more Virginia and perhaps some air cured leaf for a little more strength. Not quite as tasty as Westminster or Samarra in my opinion. Still, those are minor criticisms. Overall, another fine blend from GLP. I recommend all lovers of English blends give this one a try.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (33)

No humidification problems, no burning problems, tobacco quality is good. There is too much Latakia in MF and not enough complexity or balance to make me gravitate toward it. I like the occasional full English blend, Scottish mixture and Balkan (of a sort), but there needs be enough "sweet relief" from the acrid and desiccated flavors from the Orientals and specifically Latakia. Otherwise, I am overwhelmed and bored simultaneously.

Odyssey and Abingdon are better in regards to more balance, but still not balanced enough for me. Samovar, by McClelland, is full in flavor, rich in Latakia and Oriental tobaccos, yet punctuated with the occasional sweetness breaking through that I like.

If I were a lover of ladles of Latakia, I think one could do better even in the GLPease lineup, thus two stars.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This mixture was such a disappointment!

The tin aroma promised an enjoyable experience. But the tobacco was very dry and the smoke would become tasteless within the first 5 minutes.

All the tins I had were as such.

utahpipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
utahpipeman (6)

With long-time favorite tobaccos in short supply, I have been going through some of the Pease offerings. I'm glad I have. Maltese Falcon is another fine tobacco. However, for me, it was lacking some of the balance and complexity that I found in Chelsea Morning and others. I thought it was a bit Latakia heavy, and would have liked a bit more Virginia in the mix. Different blends for different palates, of course. I'm not going to get this one again because there are so many other good blends out there that suit my preferences, but I'm not going to hammer it either, because I think it's a quality blend for the right smoker.

ProdigalWeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProdigalWeb (18)

This tobacco is just not my cup of tea, but I don't think it's the tobacco's fault. I am finding out that blends with much Latakia in them just don't do it for me anymore. That's strange because I used to love them. Balkan Sobranie from the 60s and 70s has to be my all-time favorite, but apparently my taste is changing. If this was the only tobacco I had to smoke I sure wouldn't turn it down because I can accept it on its own terms. But there are too many great Virginia/Perique/Oriental blends out there for me to smoke Latakia blends except on a very occasional basis. If I were a Latakia lover I think I would give this blend a 3 or 4 star rating, but with my taste like it is these days, 2 stars is all I can manage.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I wonder, does GL Pease have quality control issues due to the high demand of their products?

The tin I opened revealed a nice Latakia and VA aroma but it overly dry: the leaf was breaking down under my fingers.

The result was a tasteless experience. Tobacco was in my pipe but it tasted like air.

Maltese Falcon is "Stylish, dark and alluringly bland".

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked a bowl of this a long time ago, and one tonight from a freshly opened tin. The tobacco was fairly moist and I should have let it dry out a bit more, probably. I found this rather sweet, but a nice medium English that developed some strength in terms of flavor down the bowl. I did find it just a bit spicy, and also just a bit bitey but I have problems with bright VA and of course it was a bit moist. I will smoke more, but for now, it's definitely recommended for someone looking for a medium English with flair. UPDATE Drying it out produced a less sweet smoke and less bite but oddly it didn't burn as well. Seems counter intuitive.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE 1/30/12 Jekkyl and Hyde! I sampled a tin that had aged a couple of years, and to my dismay, I discovered that the blend morphed into a bland monochrome. Where did the Orientals go? Where's the sweetness? Even the "mysterious" spice has mysteriously disappeared. This time around, MF has all the subtlety of a spent charcoal briquette. I'm docking it two stars. Smoke it young.

Original review Maltese Falcon is a smooth English that is easy on the palate -- full yet mild. It delivers a nice dose of Latakia that, while forward, rich and flavorful, is fairly mellow and well-integrated. It's a notch down in intensity from Pease's Balkans, where the Orientals and Virginias sing more, but sometimes I want something more discreet and subtle -- and MF delivers without being boring. Lightly sweet, the mysterious spiciness tastes to me like cumin and possibly cinnamon, and the resulting formula is pleasant and unique. Some of the leaves are shiny and black in the tin, which is interesting. This is a very good smoke and I have several tins to age. It would be a great introduction to English blends and is nice to have on hand when you're in the mood for something different. Two thumbs up!

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)

I was really looking forward to this. I like the can, I like the idea behind the name and I like the quality and care of G.L. Pease. Top notch folks. I wish it had more Orientals and less Virginias but I'm an Orientals fan so please keep that in mind when reading this review. That said, a good smoke. Good moisture right out of the can, a lingering spice taste on the tongue and no hot spots. Says lit well and an over all good burn. Since I don't smoke any tobacco more than 2/3 of a bowl, I can only guess that it burns clean to the end. I will always keep a tin of this handy and fire it up 1/2 dozen times a month I'm sure. Maybe Mr. Pease could do "The Big Sleep" next with Cyprian Latakia, Orientals and just a smidge of really quality Burley. A man can dream can't he?

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was in San Diego yesterday and picked up a tin of MF as well as a tin of Fillmore from Liberty Tobacco, a shop that has been there since 1975. Fillmore I have had and obviously enjoy seeing that I purchased more of it but this review is of MF which until yesterday I have only read about.

I found in only one bowl this to be a high quality GLP blend as I have come to expect from him. The presentation is superb and the tin aroma is of spicy Lakakia and Orientals. On first light the Latakia makes itself known and remains throughout the bowl but never in my opinion overpowering. I smoked this as walked down the shoreline and knew I had waited too long to try this fine blend. I am a fan most of GL's blends that I have tried and this is not an exception. There are heavier less sweet overings from GL and conversely lighter sweeter blends. This falls in the middle between Chelsea Morning and Westminster. To me it was kind of like Oddessy just not as bold and easier to keep lit.

MrBojangles447 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrBojangles447 (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

i ordered this tobacco because it was named after my favorite black and white movie. appon opening the tin i found it to smell rateher nice for an english blend so i loaded a bowl. my first experiance with this blend was a bad one as soon as i started puffing my toung felt like it was covered in bee stings. figuring it was just because it was really moist i let it sit out to dry for two weeks. after trying it again without change i decided to put it away for good. it does taste good but the bonfire strength toungbite repells any further tasting of this blend

ferncourt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferncourt (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extra Full Pleasant

Excellent latakia blend with very pronounced Orientals.

Wife loves the aroma. She says it smells manly.

Smoked this in an 80-yr. old Kaywoodie Super Grain.

Half-bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Half-bent (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After polishing off a 2oz tin, this one is still a little difficult to fully grasp.

I absolutely love the first 1/4 of the smoke. The interplay between the virginias (which at times have that sweet/sour mix that I usually associate with a McClelland virginia) and the latakia is so perfect and profound that it makes me forget I usually crave the oriental components of an english blend. The rest of the bowl is rich and smooth, very consistent, and quite lovely in its own right, though it's almost a letdown after the beginning. Almost.

Part of me wants to say this blend is good, though may not become a favorite. Yet I keep going back to it, perhaps hoping to extend those magical first few puffs somehow. Maybe I like the rest more than I'm inclined to believe. It's tough to say. I don't think I've quite figured this one out yet, but I'm intrigued enough to stock a bit more. Maybe that's what it's all about, after all.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Update 04/11/10

I must have received a different type of tobacco than the great majority of the reviewers for this tobacco...Curious!

Original review 03/21/10

This mixture was a total disappointment.

The tin aroma was very spicy, smoky with a background of sweetnes. The leaf, of medium cut and lenght, was overly dry, almost breaking up when squeezed.

Despite having a terrific taste at first, it became simply tasteless before reaching the first third of the bowl.

After trying 4 more times and opening a new tin, the result was the same.

I threw away the other 3 tins and will never rebuy.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I opened the only tin of Maltese Falcon in my meager cellar, over this past Christmas. It was very dry when I popped the tin, but I elected to try a bowl, anyway. Tin aroma was solidly in 'standard English mixture' territory; no hint of the Orientals promised. The smoke itself was nondescript: pleasant, but beyond that,had little to recommend it. I decided to rehydrate the contents and have another go in a few days. With the moisture level more to my liking, flavour remained, remarkably, nearly unchanged. After several more bowls, my conclusion is this is an inoffensive English-style blend, but entirely unremarkable. Again, where are the Orientals? I never found them. I suspect Mr. Pease has used liberal amounts of some sort of Cavendish in an attempt to bring this blend together; there is sweetness in the smoke that I find offputting, and 'Cavendish!' was my first impression. On the plus side, MF is very cool on the tongue, and would be suitable for an all-day blend, in the English vein (room note is slightly leathery, but not aggressively so). It isn't, however, a replacement or companion to a blend such as Squadron Leader. I will not purchase more of this offering.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a good blend. Try as I might, I cannot quite declare it a great blend.

There are moments when it really shines, but when it does it brings to mind other blends (e.g., Westminster, Samarra) that provide those flavors/moments more consistently. Too much of the time it borders on hard edged -- almost ashy -- while not providing the depth of pungency or complexity that I really crave in my English and Balkans. Perhaps time will soften some of those edges and let the better moments linger longer.

Blends affect different smokers differently, and I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that something in the Falcon disagrees with my constitution (the "discreet and mysterious spice" perhaps?). I tend to like latakia-heavy powerhouse blends and don't think I'm particularly sensitive to heavy smokes, but I haven't had a full bowl of the Falcon that didn't leave me with a headache afterwards. I originally thought this was a fluke of coincidence, but -- a full tin into my Falcon experience -- I am regretfully convinced otherwise.

To note these things is almost to complain too much: As noted, Maltese Falcon is good, and it has an assertive enough character that I can understand how it might align wonderfully with some smokers' tastes. It is well worth trying, and I'm not about to jettison the tins from my cellar.

birdseye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
birdseye (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

First, let me say that I am a great fan of G.L. Pease tobaccos, but I am somewhat disappointed in his latest venture, Maltese Falcon. From Greg's description I expected a robust English blend with a little something exotic included. MF seemed to me to be dominated by a taste very much like toasted Cavendish. Perhaps that was the result of what Greg calls "a discreet and mysterious spice." The mixture smoked very smoothly but the "generous amounts of Cyprian Latakia" were a no show, unfortunately. I think a lot of people will like this blend but I much prefer G.L. Pease's Charing Cross or Blackpoint for a fine English-style smoking experience.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice full latakia blend. Remeinded me of Odessy. Burns cool. Will do more reviews as I get through the tin.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Strong mixture, little nicotine shot, with a strong but pleasant room note, burns evenly to a grey ash. I can only full agree with MarkT's review. Please read it, I can't write anything better. Maybe interesting that MF substitutes for me Penzance (and Pirate Cake C&D) adding to it a little more flavor. But I think they are quite similar. A really great tobacco, still I don't feel it as an all day tobacco, maybe too full? Highly recommended to all full english mixture lovers. My favorites are Odyssey, Westminster, Penzance, Pirate Cake and for a change Two Friends Bed&Breakfast.

I liked the name better than the tobacco, although the tobacco blend itself is typically Pease well put together. The Cyprian leaf is a little stiffer than I prefer and the bright doesn't sweeten the presentation to a level that I personally appreciate. Still, this is a nicely done blend and I am sure there are a lot of pipe hobbyists who will enjoy it. Pease is an innovative blender and Maltese Falcon will only enhance his credibility.

The unique added flavoring, whatever it may be, made this interesting to me for a bowl, but that was about it.

It burns cool and is stronger than mild with a taste that sticks around for awhile. Recommended.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This tobacco is well blended. It is so reminiscent of the characteristics that made the old "Murray" Dunhill 965 such a joy to smoke. A fine all day smoke that has abundant flavor that satisfies. One could very well puff hard and heavy on Maltese and still not affect it's flavor. BTW, I dare you to try that with Westminster. But seriously, Ravens Wing? I don't think so. That was one of my favorites, and Maltese is just not similar. I do have to say that the "discreet and mysterious spice" personally leaves a coating on my tongue, but I know most of you probably won't be bothered.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

To my palate, Maltese Falcon is the love-child of Embarcadero and Westminster. Like Embarcadero, the Virginias are velvety smooth. . . and the orientals are distant supporters. But as an English, the flavor also echoes Westminster (and, as others have noted, Dunhill's best English blends).

In the end, MF is a solid and enjoyable medium-strength English with flavorful Virginias and a solid latakia element. Ignore the stated references to Raven's Wing (which, judging from the character of this blend, was more of an inspiration than a direct influence) and think of this as the all-day version of Westminster. Maltese Falcon has less overall richness and complexity -- and much subtler orientals -- but it still retains Westminster's basic flavor profile.

Bob

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

A wonderful creation by Mr. Pease! The best description I can offer is the follwing: An Americanized version of SG "COMMONWEALTH MIXTURE". It has very TANGY Virginias that marry very well with a healthy dose of Latakia. The Oriental component IMO is almost non existent. A very pleasant yet strong(nicotene)blend. Not for the meek. An unusual English blend worth trying. 3 of 4 stars.

Selah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selah (8)

The appearance is beautiful, composed of even fragments of brown and black, which harmonize rather than contrast. The cut seems different than Greg's usual blending leaves.

It fills and lights easily. The initial taste is the familiar balance of a medium to medium full English. But then you notice it - there is something else. An addition that tastes spiky in the mouth. It has a nose-tingle that is reminiscent of something... something... something... an old-fashioned odour, but not one you are immediately familiar with. It mutes the resinous quality of the Turkish and tempers the leathery whuft of Latakia, resulting in a smoke that seems spare and monastic. The bowl leaves no tongue-burn, the nose is not overloaded.

It is very satisfying (refreshing, even), but needs to grow on the smoker a bit. Burns dry and clean and leaves the pipe-smelling more exotic than usual. The tin aroma of the tobacco is quite pleasant.

He's done something. I do not know what it is. I've smelled it before, but I cannot remember where or when.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had such high hopes for this blend. It smelled great! I loaded it up and as soon as the fire hit the tobacco I knew I would really enjoy the time I had with Maltese Falcon. For half of the bowl, I thought I had found my new favorite.

Perhaps it was the pipe, or the way I was smoking, but the last half was just not pleasant at all. Not sure what the problem was so for now it only gets 3 out of 4 stars. I will try it again in a different pipe and see what happens.

UPDATE: Tried it in a larger pipe. It was much better than before, but still not up to what I had hoped it would be. Then again, I have not ever been a real fan of GLP blends that I have tried. Not sure why. Not bad, wouldnt turn it away, but I dont think I will ever sit around thinking to myself, "Wow! I sure could use a bowl of MF."

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

This is a fine English blend with a hint of spice that sets it apart. Unlike Westminster, I have not had any difficulty keeping MF lit. The tin I just finished was only tinned on October 1, 2008 so some time in the cellar will do wonders for this blend. A fine effort by Pease.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

Like every Pease tobacco's, this is a high quality one. But, at the end..... it's unsmokable: raw, crude,inelegant, boorish. And Pease is a sort of illiterate blender. This cook uses quality and tastefull ingredients, but definitly he's inapt to assemble and amalgamate the ingredients. The result is......raw. Sorry Pease, you are discharged. You can smoke a Pease's blend a time a week.....and is very good. You smoke a Pease's blend two time a week.....and is goog. You smoke a Pease's blend a time in a day.....and is unpleasant. you smoke a Pease's blend all the day....and is nauseating. So.....if you are looking for an occasional good tobacco: try it. But if you are looking for a trusty partner....just flee from Pease!!!!

Gilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilly (2)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

Had to jar half a tin to let it mellow a bit. I found the Latakia overwhelming. Just cracked open a tin of Westminster - think I'll be more comfortable with this.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Unlike the Dashiell Hammett tale, which name it bears, Maltese Falcon is not "the stuff that dreams are made of,"...at least not for me. Greg Pease is a magic man with tobacco, but the rabbit is not in this particular hat.

I must say, though, that this is one Latakia blend that can be smoked all day in warm weather without becoming too ponderous--a definite boon for those who must have that delightful, smoky weed everyday, regardless of the season. Perhaps that is what he was aiming for; to me, English/Balkan blends usher in autumn, and I always look forward to the half-lighted, crisp October day I can find an aged can of Greg's best efforts.

There is nothing in Maltese Falcon that will offend the sensibilities of the aficinado of Latakia-laden tobaccos, but neither is there anything to excite them, either. It is an acceptable smoke, and one not without its own distinction.

I must admit that I have never been fond of Red Virginias (except in the REAL Red Raparee) and a certain other domestic blender makes far too much use of them. Greg puts that particular strain to much better use.

I would recommend all Frog Morton smokers to give MF a try; you will receive a gratifying education. 'Nuff said.

Greg, where are the Orientals?

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Strong

This is a good English style tobacco. Others have noted its resemblance to Westminster, and that is good as far as it goes, but don't expect anything like the complexity of that premiere English. The very light orientals leave me feeling like something is missing, and the smoke seems harsh. The room note seems very strong to me and my LSW has complained about the smell lingering in my clothes - something she normally reserves for my rare cigar sessions.

Not something I'll buy again. Westminster and its Balkan cousins will fill this spot in my rotation.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Gentlemen,

Tobacco preferences are NOT objective, they are purely subjective. Because they are subject to our tastebuds and other factors, ultimately one can either enjoy, or find a blend unpleasant. There are some gray zones, but not too many in between these two poles.

Also, I think it should not take a full tin before making up your mind. Within 3 to 4 pipefuls, someone is able to decide if he likes, or not, a blend. Pipe tobacco is an enjoyable experience. If a tobacco provides an unjoyable experience, why persevere throughout a tin?

Some people in this review seem to be defensive when "confronted" to the reality of someone expressing an unfavorable verdict.

As for myself, I loved Haddo's Delight, somehow enjoyed Fillmore and do not enjoy Maltese Falcon at all. MF is way too dry and tastes simply bland. Very, extremely pleasant sweet, smoky and spicy taste upon lighting up, but it quickly changes to flat. Nada. Nothing. F...all. Will the taste magically reappear if I smoke a whole tin? Let me be skeptical.

Not recommended. I would agree with Briarpatch that there is a quality control issue here. And I will not rebuy in the hope of getting a good tin the next time. Every single tin SHOULD be impeccable, especially from someone pretending to manufacture artisanal tobaccos.

Thedarklord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thedarklord (9)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Behold! Odyssey?s retarded little sister. 2 of 4 stars.

R.Morris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.Morris (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Maybe I got a bad tin. I do not like this. 2 stars. Will not buy again.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Strong

This one isnt for me.Taste more like a cheap,stale cigar.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based.

Maltese Falcon will not be a contender. Above all else, the tobacco came out of the tin way too dry, which results in a quick, hot, harsh smoke, and deprives one of the smoky intricacies of the various tobaccos, particularly the Latakia, and the meditative qualities that come with a slow burning rich smoke. If I wanted dry tobacco flavor, a cigarette would do as well. It seems I am not alone in pointing out the dryness, but on the other hand, quite a few posters claimed it to be moist. So.. we might have a Quality Control issue. Little flavor, intrigue, or complexity noted. Not recommended.