When Mixture was introduced in 1958 is was considered a revolution in pipe smoking... Now? 47 years later you can enjoy the famous Mixture taste in this blend. Mixture Flake is made from more than 35 different tobacco leaves from different parts of the world. Mixture Flake is made from choice Virginia and Burley tobacco and touch of the original Mac Baren Cavendish. Each leaf has its own special qualities and only by blending and pressing them in the right proportions does Mixture Flake achieve its unique taste. Mixture Flake does not consist of one dominant taste, but a profusion of different nuances of taste that keep changing? all from a single tamp of tobacco A unique, slow burning, slightly aromatic flake which you can enjoy all day long.

Notes: Introduced in 2005.

BrandMac Baren
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Unknown, Virginia
Packaging50g Tin, 100g tin

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

3.1

This reminds me a bit of MacBaren's Scottish Flake with a few differences. I find this to be a little spicier and I get that in every puff, which indicates to me that there's a little more dark fired Kentucky here. The taste is more consistent here than it is in SF, too. I get a variety of flavors, ranging from nuts, a little honey, bread, earth, and a hint of grass. The sweetness comes from the gold and black cavendish, Virginias, burleys, and a light topping. Smokey, woodsy, tangy, and creamy notes play well with the tongue, offering a slow, cool and dry burn rate with very little moisture at the finish. I found it sweeter when I sip at a moderate pace. This is a blend that deserves more attention when you smoke it.

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

My tin dates to July 2013. Certainly not well-aged, but a bit of age on it. When it arrived a month or so ago I heat-sealed half the tin in a small mason jar to age for another six months to a year. The remainder went into another small mason jar for daily use.

My first impressions of this tobacco were not positive. I was making the new pipe smoker mistake of comparing this to other tobaccos not in its genre. It arrived with an order other tobaccos, including a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced, and as I'm a Virginia lover, it just didn't stack up to OGS. I figured a flake is a flake. Newbie error.

A month of aging in the non-sealed mason jar has done wonders for this tobacco. Or perhaps I'm just beginning to appreciate each tobacco for what it brings to the palate. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this tobacco - the tin describes it as a blend of Virginia, Burley, Cavendish, and lightly aromatic. A very apt description.

Mixture Flake was my morning smoke today. Once lit, it stayed lit to the bottom of the chamber. And I really enjoyed it. Really really enjoyed it.

The tin note is slightly sweet, though to my nose not indicative of what it might taste like when lit. And once lit, today's smoke was very nice: an extremely well-balanced blend of tobaccos with just a hint of a sweet casing - and to my taste buds it seemed more on the cherry side rather than vanilla, but I wouldn't go to the mat on that. The room note was very pleasant - a tobacco that I believe non-pipe smokers would not find offensive. By the time I smoked half-way down the bowl the sweet flavor started to wane, but the sweetness of the fragrance remained. Smoked down to ash, there was no harshness, just a balance of flavors.

It is my Flying Wallendas of tobacco - balance, balance, balance. There is nothing extreme about this tobacco in any way: it is a mild smoke, moderate nicotine, mild casing, and a balance and synergy of three tobaccos. I can see how some might find this tobacco non-distinctive, and perhaps that's what I like best about it. The tin describes it as a tobacco that can be smoked all day long (don't all tins say that?), and in this case it's true.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320, Peterson 999

Age When Smoked: One year

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

Just rediscovering the MB brand after a few years of unintentional neglect. When I was younger I loved the aromatics on the market, but recently have switched to non-aros. Received a tin of this with my recent shipment from P&C and was pleasantly suprised. Although I thought I had ordered the Mixture Modern instead. Nevertheless, this is a great all day smoke. Works well in any pipe. Slightly sweet, a tinge nutty with a cherry-like finish. In a way it reminds me of Velvet but not as spicy or as strong. Best way to describe this one: cheerful disposition meets good old fashioned home cooking. Very little bite, rich and burns well. The trick with this blend is to pack a full bowl and smoke a little at a time throughout the day. This not only results in more flavor, but allows you to stretch a 3.5 oz tin out as far as you can. Mac Baren's strength seems to lie in its white labeled tins (i.e. roll cake, navy flake, mixture modern). That's not to say MB doesn't carry good aromatics, but for me non-aromatics are the true test of a solid pipe tobacco brand. And if you are experiencing the MB bite it might be time to give your pipe a good thorough cleaning. Especially with Grabow's, while highly durable, tend to gain moisture rather quickly. I'll buy a $30 Grabow over a $500 pipe any day. If you let MB air our for a short while that might also help reduce bite. Mixture Flake is 4 stars in my book. Thank you MB for never disappointing me.

UPDATE 3/16/14 Noticing a more citrusy note/spicy undertone in my cob since the tin has been unsealed. A thorough cleaning combats this, but let dry out for a few minutes before smoking and smoke a little slower. Full bowls and briars work better with this blend a while after the tin has been opened. If you like a slightly more citrusy note in your smoke it will be a nice change of pace in the cob. Still a great addition to one's rotation.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

5/17/2014 Update:

I have found the perfect flake pipe for this Mixture: Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat made of Maple. Very thick walls, short and wide bowl. Fits two flakes folded and stuffed, Laid on top of one another, folded vertical and then horizontal and slide into the bowl, top with crumbs left over for kindling. This stuff just gets better and better as the tin is open. $8 for 100g tin at SmokingPipes!!! There is no better deal in tobacco!

I purchased this blend at my local tobacconist here in Las Vegas - "The Tobacco Leaf". He always has tins from 3 to 10 years old, this was from 2009 and aged sufficiently. I thought before I purchased this 100 gram tin that this was the flake version of Mixture Modern not Scottish Mixture. If your wanting Mixture Modern in a flake, this is NOT it, this does not have black Cavendish in it like Modern does..... Mixture Modern, Plumcake, Navy Flake and this are the only Macbaren blends that I have found to be acceptable in the heat / bite / general furnace flamethrower genre that these Danish blends fall into. I discovered years ago when I went to Germany for a business trip and spoke to a local tobacconist that 90% of Europeans smoke their pipes with filters and that's why these blends smoke so damn hot and bite, their produced that way since the 9mm filters Europeans use cut the flavor and bite in half if not more. If you cant handle Macbarens blends do what I do, smoke them in a Cob with a Grabow filter, makes a world of difference. This flake is beautiful, perfect gold wrapped flakes of perfect thickness, tin aroma is honey and fallen leaves, really delightful and the room note has been described as the same. Burley and Virginia with some Cavendish to tame the beast and add sweetness, burns very well even left whole and stuffed. Good Flake!!

Pipe Used: Cob and Dr Grabows with Filters!!!

Age When Smoked: 5 year old tin

Purchased From: Tobacco Leaf - Las Vegas

Mixture Scottish Blend is my daily smoking for over 10 years. Flake mixture,cooler smoke is sweet and creamy as the original cut.A great success of sublime mixes and easy day after day. Highly Recommended.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This was my first exposure to a flake cut, and for that alone it gets notched up a bit... quite nice to smoke just because of the cut for one thing.

Like most Mac Baren's (as I hear) it burns hotter than pig on fire in a really hot place. But other than that is quite pleasant. Very mild, so if you're hoping for a flavor that will knock you off your feet or kick you in the rear, this aint it.

That said, if you like a mild blend, this tastes fantastic, leaves a nice taste in the mouth etc... I'm a fan.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I never thought I would give an aromatic 4 stars and especially one from the McBite stable, but that's exactly what I will do now. Mixture RR was my first "serious" tobacco a number of years back and I have smoked quite some pounds of it. It disappeared though from the rotation when I was introduced to all those nice virginia flakes around. Seeing the good reviews here, especially from some people I trust I decided to buy the flake version and give it a go. It is certainly MB Mixture but without the problems of the RR version. My method of packing is simply folding the flake in 4 and the size of pipe is a 2 to 3. Takes 2-3 matches to get it going but from there and on its just great. A very slow burning rate, attempts to rush it, result immediately in gurgling, but that's fine it should be sipped anyway. In the beginning, the strength is a bit too little but it becomes decent from mid bowl down. From mid bowl down also, the taste is a revelation. There are many layers, many surprises and the casing presents itself here and there, but in a nice way. Burns all the way down without goop. No tongue bite, even when I get impatient and overpuff once in a while. It's quite amazing for me, to look forward to the last part of the bowlful, its really good. The other thing is the room note. It is really good and the wife doesn't say a word, she even appreciates it! Also entering the room an hour after smoking, smells nice, not like an abandoned antique cellar! All and all this is back in the rotation and highly recommended.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

All you have come to expect from the classic Mixture... and more.

What a truly exquisite blend!

It's exactly Mac Baren's Mixture, but the flake format helps tremendously: load your pipe by simply folding the flakes and forming a plug, without rubbing them out, and you'll experience a wonderful hour/hour and a half of smoking.

Like Mixture, it has a wonderful biscuity and slightly honeyed taste which manages to be rather natural too: while cased, it is done rather subtly and elegantly, without chemical goop. It still does taste of true tobacco, only tamed by the artful skill of Danish tradition. Sweet, nutty, slightly earthy: really a masterful blend of Virginia, Burley and Cavendish. The beauty of this blend is that none of the single components shines in itself: it's the overall interplay that captivates.

Being in flake format, it smokes more slowly, drier and cooler, and lasts longer. Taste is much more intense, without being overwhelming. Actually the tin aroma, while still mouth-watering and very biscuity/honeyed, seems to me a little more soapy than the rubbed out Mixture: not a problem, as it still is very pleasant.

Sure, it can still a bit sharp and mouth-drying (especially if you puff a bit too strongly, which can happen since it burns so neatly), but it's an enormously enjoyable, low-maintenance and never tiresome blend.

My wife loves the smell (and she usually is VERY fussy: she hates English, she hates Balkans, she hates pure Virginia, she hates cloyingly sweet aromatics), and that is a bonus.

I'd recommend smoking it in a medium-sized pipe: too small a bowl will not give it enough time to develop and won't fulfill you completely (since it's a very mild/light blend in nicotine), too large a bowl will lead to a slightly monochromatic and watery final part of the smoke (though it still is better than many other tobaccos under this point of view).

Little known, but highly recommended (and please bear in mind that I have always been a lover of strong English/Balkan blends for the past 7 years, and that I used to find most of Mac Baren tobaccos completely uninteresting, lacking of interest and flat up to a couple of months ago!)

The flavoring is indeed identical to Scottish Mixture but the burning qualities are much different. This one is a slow burner and doesn't seem to heat up quite as much.

Not enough umph to get my motor running, but reeks of quality and is probably fine fare for those who enjoy light and artificially flavored Burley'Virginia flakes.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (22)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I don't consider this an aeromatic blend in the strictest sense. It is a mild Flake tobacco that tastes pretty much like Mixture Scottish Blend ready rubbed. They are the same blend. I find this easy to rub out and pack into the bowl. Lights well and stays lit throughout. A nice easy smoke and is truly an all day smoke. I enjoy the light smoky characteristics of Mac Barens original Cavendish. The Virginia's are very mild and easy with a slight sweetness in the entire blend and is easy blown out through the nose. Very pleasant. This blend doesn't evolve a lot throughout the smoke, but gives subtle evolutions of flavor. The very mild maple/honey characteristics in the Cavendish lend a nice sweetness to the the flavor. The room note is a mild pleasant pipe smoker scent. A really good blend to smoke while working on projects or out doing yard work. No bite experienced at all.

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really enjoy this Macbaren offering. It's been described well enough before me quite well, I especially agree with the "morning smoke" quality of this blend....highly recommended, just remember, it is a danish flake and will smoke hot if you rush it. A pipesmoker should never rush his pipe.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)

Mild and slightly sweet flake , this one have a delicous nutty flavour. Great for a morning smoke

grumpyoldprofessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grumpyoldprofessor (11)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one of my favrite morning smokes. It has a good smooth bread like taste as well as the typical Mac Baren honey taste. It's easy to pack either fully rubbed out or folded and stuffed and burns nicely. I don't notice any bite with this one. Definitely recommend for daily smokers and especially as a morning smoke.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)

I'm sipping Mixture Flake just like I do Navy Flake, and it's steadily growing on me with each little pull on the bit end. The most notable thing is that this flake allows itself to be smoked at a low level of burning - it appears to be going out when it isn't - and that is good for bringing out its subtle taste. It usually stays lit and smoking steady for an acceptable length of time. But although more subtle, what you can sip out of this subdued combustion is more flavorful and rich than is a full-bodied smoke-intensive mouthful from other, heavier blends. Sipping works here. Of course it reminds me of Navy Flake, but here in MF the honey is a sidebar note, except on the sidestream pickup where it is stronger, leaving some residual sweetness on the palate. The fine VaBur asserts itself over the honey more clearly in MF than in NF.

No bite whatsoever in my case. But then again I haven't been puffing on it like a freight train in a vain effort to bring out a strength that is not there and was never meant to be. If you're looking for a powerhouse smokestack nic hit, you're advised to look elsewhere. I had been smoking some Sillems Black that left me with a bit of a blanket tongue, but MF did not exacerbate it and, mirabile dictu, it may have even ameliorated it.

A Bur/Va it definitely is, however the "Danish Cavendish" that is so typical of MacBaren and the slight honey afternote will not be ignored. I certainly would not classify it as an aromatic, but would caveat that statement by reiterating the aforementioned particularities of this blend. It seems to me very similar to Navy Flake, but with more tobaccoey and less honey taste. The flakes are packed ideally in the tin and are very easy to fill in the bowl. But I recommend that you air them for a day or two, because even though the flakes seem ideally dry right out of the tin, this tobacco will taste even better with some air time on it. Trust me on that one.

Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I came into possession of this tin from a dear friend. Unfortunately the experience of smoking this tobacco was nowhere near the quality of our friendship. Nicely formed flakes, burned well, had a nice tin aroma. This blend was devoid of taste and the aroma was harshly flat. In addition this had the typical MB bite that worsened the experience further...if that could be so. I have found very few MB blends that agree with me and this one is added to the list of "not to smoke again."

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

As a lover of flaky tobacco (pun intended) and one who on occasion does enjoy MB Mixture (the original), I took my time trying this as I thought Mixture Flake might be just another way to milk more from the manufacturer's prize cow by introducing a variety that might appeal to smokers who, in this case, prefer flakes. As MB have done with a few other blends and genres that bear the "Mixture" name somewhere in between.

Boy, was I wrong, this time.

I picked up a 100 g tin (smallest size I could get locally) to restock my tobacco cabinet. A few days later, I tried it. The tin aroma was very much alike to Mixture (aka Scottish Blend), the slices more like Navy Flake (which I happen to like a lot), and the strength and taste are much more like Mixture than Navy Flake. They are different from Mixture, though; I think the blend is slightly different. Delicious, though, and the room note is every bit as good as the namesake's.

Being of the fold-and-drop style of flakes, it's easy to fill, light and enjoy. I need not re-light, nor does it burn hot, and my tongue remains unbitten. Nice, slow burn, and the taste does have a bit more variety than Mixture. Personally, I could use a little more strength, but that goes the other way, too: most flakes I have enjoyed so far are on the stronger end of the scale, relatively speaking. This one could be a great introduction to the World of Flake for the novice smoker.

-- addendum 09-11-15 -- I find I forgot to say that I still prefer Navy Flake over this one; for me it just has more zing and zest.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)

The aroma is, well, I guess I would call it non-descript, even if it really isn't - but just saying "sweet" is pretty non-descript. But it is. If pressed, I suppose I could go on, calling it slightly perfumy (which in my mind means it has floral notes), but dominated by vanilla/sugar. I really can't detect anything in the aroma resembling tobacco. But overall there is little here which distinguish it from other Mac Baren aromatics. Hard not to like, though.

The colour of the flakes are on the lighter side of brown and have no shortage of birds eye, further more they are quite broad and uniform in appearance - which is very common with Mac Baren, I'd be more surprised to pop a Mac Baren tin and not finding a perfect presentation. In short, it's as good as can be expected from people who are in the tobacco business for a reason.

The flake was folded and gently rubbed, which is how I usually pack flakes, into a bent Mastro da Paja, which serves as my primary aromatic pipe. It takes light easilly enough and is very well behaved in the pipe - another testament to the crafstmanship behind the flakes, I'd say. Tastewise we're dealing with a dominant burley force, which I had anticipated. The mouthfeel I get from this reminds me a bit of cognac backed up by the drier burley notes, with a bit of that Mac Baren honey signature wafting in and out. I had expected the honey character to play a larger role, but it did not, which I find is a good thing. Overall it stays pretty much the same for the duration of the smoke, only becoming a little harsh towards the end, which is a sign for me to let the pipe go out and move on with other things. All in all, not a bad smoke at all. Surprisingly flavoursome for a Mac Baren in my opinion. The room note is unobtrusive and dissipates rather quickly, and isn't likely to cause any trouble.

Drawbacks then - too mild, way too mild. This is not really a fault of the blend itself, as it doesn't tout itself as being strong (quite the opposite in fact). So this drawback becomes a case of preference on my part. But this review business is of course a subjective matter at the core. Some like it mild, some like it strong. I fall into the category of those who like it strong. But I'm sure there are many in the other camp, and there's no reason why we all can't get along.

In conclusion I would recommend this to people looking for a tobacco that is mild in taste and nicotine, but doesn't become bland or boring. Even though I have smoked quite a few pouches of the regular ready rubbed Mixture, and I definately wouldn't call myself an expert in the matter, but to me this is worlds apart from its supposed scottish sibling, I'm not sure why, if it is in fact the same apart from the pressing, but I know I prefer this over the ready rubbed any day. The only thing that comes to mind that is similar between the two is the tin aroma. But even there I'm actually not quite sure, memory may not serve since it was a few years since I had the RR around.

I found it to have manageable bite tendencies. Nowhere near as extreme as its counterpart, or many other Mac Baren's that I've tried (Hell hath no fury like a Mac Baren overpuffed, isn't that the way the saying goes?). Here I find no such fatigue on the palate, which chalks it up to one more reason to come back to this blend some time in the future, when pace requires changing.

I have smoked Mixture Scottish Blend off and on for years and was ready to try Mixture Flake. A similar presentation to Navy Flake in the tin, but a tad lighter in color with a very prominent sweet, honey aroma (although less than with Navy Flake). As with Navy Flake, these flakes were at the right moisture for immediate smoking and all went well with packing and lighting; however, letting it sit in its tin after opening for a month or so seems to bring out the flavor more. I like it better than the loose cut version as there was no bite whatsoever. It smoked cool and retained its sweetness to the end of the bowl and was without moisture. Overall, I would classify it as a milder version of Mac's Navy Flake and with a bit less body/smokiness. If you want a nice tasting, easy smoking flake; and one you can smoke all day long, Mixture Flake should fit the bill!

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Sigh...I had high expectations with this one, which is hard to find.

Unfortunately, not for me. Way too mild. It barely has any taste.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, it came the time I could put my hands on this flake version of Mixture. I'm working hard through the first of three 100grms tins coming from Barcelona. Mixture Flake actually was in the list of tobaccos imported in Italy, but I was always simply unable to get one. Now it's been cancelled... what a mistery!

Same shape as the Navy Flake, both the tin and the flakes. Right moisture, ready to smoke by the fold and plug method. Lights easily and smokes cool, dry and almost biteless.

The aroma: I place it between Mixture and Navy Flake. I would say it's much more close to NF, just milder and gentler, very balanced and creamy, a true pleasure. A nice interplay between Virginias and Burleys, the spicy notes of the famous original Cavendish are in & out. It does not deteriorate after several relights.

The strength sticks around the mild notch, even milder than the RR version. Oh, I just would it a wee-bit stronger, this is the only complaint.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mixture Flake is an absolute treasure. Like many other folk have mentioned in review of Mixture RR; great taste,fantastic smell, superior quality etc but that darn bite ruins the experience. Mixture Flake has for me, removed the fear and pain of bite, now I can finally enjoy a bowl of this wonderful tobacco the way it was meant to be enjoyed. It is not as sweet as RR but it seems to be more refined, elegant and creamy. Just a really great experience in smoking this blend. Will be buying much more to store away.

pipe_organist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe_organist (14)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

When I first got to college, in 1982 and still in the days when smoking was permitted just about everywhere including the dorms, I smoked Mac Baren "Golden Extra" and seem to recall having tried the "Scottish Mixture" as well. I'm glad to see that these two blends are being made available again, and I'm anxious to try GE and SM to see if they're what I remember.

Having said that, this tin of Mixture Flake is my first return to the Mac Baren brand since those days, as I became an English/Balkan/Oriental fan and didn't deviate from those.

Upon opening this tin, I was pleasantly assaulted by what I remembered as the typical tin aroma from the Scottish Mixture, which brought back pleasant freshman year college memories. My first pipeful was in a Savinelli "Bing's Favorite" without the filter system, packed according to the traditional "fold and stuff" method. I fought to keep the pipe lit, and ended up with one of the worst cases of tongue bite I've had in living memory.

I decided this time, in the same pipe, to pack the tobac in the rubbed out style, and the result is so far very satisfying. I'm having a bit of trouble with gurgling, but I suspect that's because this little pipe hasn't grown it's full-sized adult cake in the bottom. The ash is clean and white with some "bits", and the burn is even.

The smoke itself is truly wonderful. It started with no taste, then began to grow into a gently spicy-sweetness, faintly of cinnamon, and is now developing the honey/biscuity taste some have alluded to. And no bite, so far. Which is a good thing for me because I'm typically a fast puffer. Obviously, slow and steady sipping is better than days of burnt mouth. If it goes out, relight it for heaven's sake! Nobody's watching and keeping score.

I do believe I'm going to purchase a few more tins for cellaring, and will use it as a "go to" blend when nothing else sounds appealing.

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I prefer flakes and was glad to find that MB had offered their Mixture, that I also enjoyed, in this form. That change alone rates another * since it results in a cooler, longer smoke with ~ taste. The flakes were well prepared, undamaged in the tin and with ideal moisture content. As my tobacco dried out, the smoke got harsh so keep it humidified. The burning rate was fine adn relights not required. Although the Cavendish flavoring is evident, it is very subtle and you still feel that you're smoking tobacco and not candy.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)

If you like Mixture, you'll probably love this one. That same great 'honey and toast' taste in a cool smoking and flavoursome flake. It goes very well with a morning coffee.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice blend. Some what like Navy Flake. It is a very nice change, I keep both on hand. Fold it stuff it - enjoy it. A quality tobacco that you don't have to hold for a year or more. Enjoy it today. No bite, unless you abuse it. Worth the $$$$. This is a easy flake to learn to enjoy. Ready from the tin.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is NOT broken flake. These is whole, un-rubbed, flake tobacco.

These flakes are exquisitely neat, compact and easy to lift from the rectangular tin, fold and stuff whole into your pipe. They smell delicious as sniffed in the container, without any aggressive topping stench.

The unrubbed slice lit easily and burned slowly and cooly most of the time. It only got a trifle hot towards the bottom third, when the amount of tobacco, broken down from poking, responded to re-lighting with a bit of anger.

The taste is not unlike several of the Fribourg & Treyer Virginia flakes I tried a while ago: mild, light indeed, yet still tasty enough. This one has the subtlest semi-sweet (not very sweet at all) character, with a muted smokiness that surprises but stays very much in the background. There is none of the Burley dullness or treacly topping of Mac Baren's Navy Flake.

Too inoquous for me, this superbly produced offering ought to please indeed those who want the lightest Virginia flake, expertly un-fanged by MB's elegant use of Burley and Cavendish-processed leaf.

Almost the same flavor as the Mixture loose cut, with more nicotine, nice body and slow burning characteristics, however, I prefer the loose cut version with its honey/toasty flavor. Regarding tongue bite, I have never experienced any bite with any MB blend.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (56)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is just a strange tobacco. I don't know what the flavoring here is but I just don't like it. The flavors here seem confused and muddled to may tastes. No tobacco stands out here and the sum of the parts just doesn't work. Maybe I am incapable of detecting subtleties in blends but Hey!,that's all I've got to work with.

As hard as I try I just can't seem to connect with any of MacBaren's blends.

Jose The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose The Bear (10)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm not that sure what's going on for my tobacco, but I finish the whole tin, and every bow shows the same problem...over steam, over heat. I don't really know about the tast cause it bite me at the very beginning, so...I'm not going to have an other try before I can't buy any thing else.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Though I waffled at first whether to give this blend 3 or 4 stars, I must now give it 4 stars.

---

Why?

Well, it is a good, solid satisfying smoke with a VA-burley mix texture and tang. "What's that?" you say? Well, its what I call the tobacco flavors because I can't place them as compared to my regular experience with VAs and burley - this seems to be a hybrid of the 2 and they merge seamlessly for a light, round smoke.

Nice creamy, cake-ish topping that is faintly sweet. I don't get any fruit here, but others might of course. Very similar to Plum Cake without the fruity aroma.

My guess on the topping? I think it's the key flavoring in the tinned Danish Sugar/Butter Cookies folks give away at Christmas - but that's a secret too isn't it? :);)

If you like Plum Cake, you'll probably like this, but I would never have both on hand for myself because the are TOO much alike - one would do fine.

I get a little tingle like I do with a quality VA, but no overt biting to speak of - though I've no doubt the tingle could become a tangle if puffed too hard like anything else.

This seems for me to be one of those tobaccos I could smoke any time in any mood and enjoy to some degree and not be disappointed.

I smoked this in a bulldog 1/2 bent lattice meer so briar will likely produce different nuances.

If you are smoking this and find it bitey, try it in a meer.

Cheers and Good Draw to you,

Glorfindel ~~~~~~~~~~

stream25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stream25 (7)

This is my first review! My review is based on my second bowl of Mixture Flake in a straight cob pipe with a filter. The tobacco is presented nicely in neat slices. This is notable since another tin of flake I purchased recently looked like it was thrown into the tin without care. The tin smell was a bit too sweet for my taste, but had a nice raisin/prune scent to it. I folded the flake and packed it into the bowl in accordance with illustrated instructions on the Mac Baren website. Another nice touch from the company. After drying the flake for a few days, three touches with a lighter was all that it took to get the burn going. Smoke volume was good and so was the flavor. The slightly sweet spice of the tobacco complimented the chilly day, bringing to mind a nice fireplace and Christmas. This is an excellent cold weather tobacco! I also found the casing to combine well with the tobacco. Strength and Taste were definitely on the mild side of medium. While the bowl did get a bit too hot at times, the flavor stayed consistent and did not get harsh. Since I was outside I cannot comment much on the room scent. Mixture Flake is not the most complex or challenging tobacco, but holds its own as something I will keep around when I am in the mood for something spicy, sweet, and easy to smoke.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm still working on this stuff. On opening the tin, it's aroma is really odd. I can't describe it's scent. It's not too moist and not too dry. It smokes quite differently, depending on which pipe I'm using. In a H.I.S. straight pipe, it's not worth mentioning, but in my Willard Adjustomatic straight pipe, it's quite a pleasant smoke. Also, with the more that I smoke this blend, I keep detecting new undertones. I also don't rub this one out too much. It burns well, and doesn't leave any noticable residue. In the H.I.S. it burns a bit hot, and can give your tongue a bit of bother, so puff this one slowly. When I'm halfway through this tin, I'll come back and do a further evaluation...

2/3/08 OK, I don't buy tins of tobacco very often, so I've suddenly discovered that tobacco packed in tins, goes through some kind of magical change, after it's had time to sit for awhile. So far I can only refer this theory to Mac Baren products, but so far it's a theory that holds some credence. This blend - Mixture Flake - can still put a bite on ones tongue, but if puffed gently, it's a pretty good smoke.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

My tin is "Mixture Flake"; I assume that is the new name for this tobacco.

I really enjoy this; same basic flavor as "Mixture" but with more depth. Smokes cooler to me than the ready rubbed version. The tin aroma is fantastic and the smoke is as well.

A superb Danish-style flake. My current favorite. Highly recommended without reservation.

schnorrer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schnorrer (14)

What's not to like? Balanced, pleasant, well constructed. A room note that won't send the ladies running for the door if smoked indoors. A good after-breakfast smoke, or with afternoon tea and cakes.

I find this flake version tastes exactly the same as the usual "ready rubbed" Scottish Mixture. (So read the reviews there to get a range of opinions on the taste of this tobacco.) If you find regular Scottish Mixture too hot, these flakes burn slightly cooler. For those who are new to smoking flake, this is a good one to start with as the flakes burn very nicely if "folded and stuffed" into the pipe bowl, and also rub out easily if that is the method you prefer. I find that it doesn't need a lot of drying- opening the tin is really all you need to do.

If you like your pipe tobacco to be made of strong defined elements that boldly announce their presence, this gentle mixture may not appeal. Or, if you are a dedicated Virginia smoker and enjoy finding subtle nuances of flavor, this is likely to be too cased. But, if you just like a pleasant mild smoke, give this "near aromatic" a try.

------------------------------------------------------- Update 6/11/2009 After smoking this regularly for nearly two years, I enjoy it even more. I would now give it 4 stars, and it is contending for my "desert island" pick. The flakes burn very well, whether rubbed out or casually folded and stuffed into the pipe. (As before, I think this is the PEFECT flake for a beginning flake smoker to try. You just can't go wrong....) I have smoked bowl after bowl in one sitting, and each bowl offers a somewhat different experience. I have been complimented by both men and women on the room aroma- yet it doesn't seem like a sweet or flavored aromatic when smoked at all.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Scottish Mixture Flake.07/03/07. If you have read my review about Scottish Mixture,then you'll know how highly I regard it. Well,when it come's to the flake version,it to has also won my heart totally.Why you ask? Because it smoke's even smoother and very much cooler.(Not that I am a fast puffer) The flavour is delicious right through to bowl's end,and very smooth without becoming bitter.When you finish your smoke there is next to no goop and your left with a very clean light grey ash at bowl's end."Highly recommended"

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

This blend has a very fine flavor. I just find that there are too many others that a similiar and of much higher quality.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Aye, this is just as good as its non-flake brethren (somehow my previous review of the other Scottish Mixture has disappeared) and that should come as no surprise. This is a mild, mellow and sweet smoke that may be too mild for some but, on occasion, it can put me in ?the zone.? I experience no bite with either of the Scottish Mixture cuts unlike some others. This is not an everyday smoke for me because of its mildness but I can?t completely forget about it either; sometimes it just really hits the spot.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.90 out of 10.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely wonderful. Easy to smoke, and as mentioned, a relatively cool smoker. Finally, I get to enjoy the taste of Mixture without suffering from tongue bite!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (69)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a new tobacco from Mac Baren and is a flake version of their world famous (Scottish) Mixture. It thus has the same flavour as that blend. But whereas Mixture can and will bite, this flake won't! It is a very well balanced flake of Virginia, Burley and some cavendish tobacco, what Mac Baren refers to as "The original Mac Baren Cavendish" which is a fire cured tobacco Kentucky, adding some smokiness. While not overtly as sweet as Mixture, it would nonetheless mostly appeal to aromatic smokers wanting a nice, sweet and mellow smoke from a flake.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Beautiful, mostly golden brown flakes, that smell sort of like honey and hay that come in a beautiful and classy square tin. This is Danish!

Packing and Lighting: It worked best for me to pack it just like the instructions that come in the tin explain: fold and stuff until pipe is full. Lighting is surprisingly easy. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: It starts out a little bright and grassy, the aromatic agent is there from the start too.

Mid-Bowl: Much better. Nice round flavor from all three leaves. The casing mixes well with the leaf flavor and is nicely balanced. The room aroma is pleasant. You must puff this gently or else you will get nipped.

Bottom of Bowl: If you puff gently, it ends with a decent amount of strength with no bitterness and the ash is dry, fine and grey.

Overall: I was first introduced to this blend by a friend who didn't tell me it was an aromatic, but that was ok due to the fact that this one was delicious! It is a well balanced blend in that the leaf and casing are both tasted without much fuss. The burley in this blend is wonderful as well. It does burn hot, though. You must start slowly and follow through slowly in order to get the most of this blend, otherwise you'll end up with a burnt tongue and wet pipe. This is the only aromatic I smoke regularly these days and you must dedicate a pipe because the casing will flavor the pipe. I found it worked well in pipes sized group 3-5. Give it a whirl!