A fine loose cut blend made of a very special kind of cavendish. The long and delicate cavendish process makes this blend soft and smooth with a taste of honey and chocolate.

Notes: Discontinued 2014.

BrandMac Baren
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren
ContentsCavendish
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Honey
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

2.4
Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Not too bad of a blend. Sweet and nutty. Burns hot and sticky in the pipe. very prone to biting. Flavor and aroma wise its not that bad. However, it burns hot, fast, and wet. A decent attempt but overall not well executed.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Apparently this blend is no longer in production. I don't care. I love aromatics, but this was too sweet even for my tastes. Imagine stuffing a fudge brownie, drizzled in fudge, stuffing it in your pipe, and lighting it. Boy, does it ever ghost a pipe too!

I used to love chocolate-flavored blends, but now they all seem too sweet for me. Looking back, my love for chocolate blends starting disappearing around the time I tried this.

Pipe Used: Spetator Diplomat, Il Duca

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)
Medium Mild to Medium Overwhelming Unnoticeable

Like several other reviewers I really wanted to like this one. But, it's a weird blend. The taste is like smoking cocoa honey inscence with a bitter ashy taste taste that keeps reoccurring. Not a lot a chocolate and a strange "honey' flavoring. I tried smoking this in several pipes - and no matter how big or small the size of the pipe it burned like wildfire. No tongue bite though -however left kind of a Funk in my mouth. I think the word "Bizarre" sums up my thoughts on this blend exactly - which might be a Good Thing for some of you.

Update 6/2/2015 I am liking this better after not smoking it for a while - but it may have been discontinued - so this may be a moot point.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Nothing.

Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Basically, all you will taste is honey and chocolate, though I did detect a light golden cavendish toast and honey here and there. Has a little nicotine. Won't bite, but could get a little warm on your tongue if you puffed fast. Burns slightly slow with a very consistent flavor, and leaves some moisture in the bowl. Needs an average number of relights. Has a decent after taste. The strength of the blend is potent, and I recommend a small bowl. It may require a little dry time, and the room note is very noticeably sweet. Not an all day smoke.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (24)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

What a nice treat from Mac Baren! A dark Cavendish that has a pleasant chocolate taste and a little ump in the strength and nicotine department. I'm not sure what some of the others were smoking but I found the tobacco to burn cool with little no bite. I really did not detect the honey but the chocolate or I should say cocoa mingled with the Cavendish to create a very relaxing 35 minutes.

Age When Smoked: 7 mos

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

As a fan and regular smoker of MB blends, I am trying to get around to all of them.

I found this blend to make a much better blending tobacco than smoking it straight. It does not burn the tongue, actually it smokes very smooth and rich with the cocoa coming through in the background and not in your face. It has a nice tin aroma, you can smell the cocoa in it as well as a little sweetness of the honey in it. It comes in a nice coarse cut that lights and smokes very well. I tried it fresh, found it a little too wet nd let it dry a few days and it became a nice smoke. It requires very few relights and burns down to a nice grey ash with little if any dottle. I just did not find this blend all that satisfying to smoke regularly, but when I started blending it with other tobaccos it performed quite nicely. It adds a fullness and richness to other blends. The room note is very pleasant, I never got any complaints and several people told me that its smelled great. While aromatic smokers will most likely enjoy this blend, I doubt smokers of non aromatic blends would. I only gave it two stars as it does not excel particularly but I really can find no fault with it other than it is not one that I will buy again.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is by far my favorite Mac Baren blend. It is a very singular aromatic, as it smells like an aromatic, but smokes with a much more natural tobacco flavor than the tin aroma would indicate.

While it is a cavendish, it is not wet and gloppy as they sometimes can be. I would say most of my VA flakes are moister than this straight out of the tin. I dried it a little, and then packed it loosely. It took a few goes to get it charred and lit, but burnt readily, and coolly, once I got it started.

The tin aroma is wonderful, and very strong. I did not find that the taste was anywhere near as powerful as the tin aroma with respect to chocolate flavor. Actually, it tasted much more like tobacco to my palate than chocolate. I was skeptical of how chocolate would interact with tobacco as a flavoring, but after smoking more than one, have come to the conclusion that it is a flavor which enhances and blends very well with tobacco. It provides a rich and complex flavor, but does so by augmenting the natural flavor of the tobacco. This is nothing like the Milonga blend from Dan tobaccos, which is tasty, but aromatic in a very traditional way, meaning that the flavor and cased aroma is more pronounced in the smoking.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Mild Strong Very Full Strong

Oh.......not so good. Name sounds 😋 yummy but sorry not a winner here. Tin note was awesome and man was I looking forward to a yummy smoke. Light right up and first couple of sips were heaven......and then woah! This terrible ash taste interfered with the sweet honey flavor and it was awful. I felt like I had licked an ash tray. I could not even finish the bowl. I tried again about a week later after airing out. Same thing happened again. I don't know what happened with this blend but I threw it away, I would not even trade or share with a friend. Frankly never done that before. Now this could have been a bad tin but it is a moot point since it is no longer in production.....hum did they know something?

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is probably one of the most "aromatic" aromatics that I have ever put in a pipe. It is certainly an acquired taste, and I honestly can't decide if I like it or not. I scored a tin of this from a friend of mine who gave me a ton of sample tins to try. Upon opening the tin, there is no mistaking the aroma: pure honey and chocolate, just like the label says. It's a fine cut of tobacco though, and I found it odd when packing a bowl. It turns a 3-step packing method into a 4 or 5-step method. It lit easily for me, probably due to the age. The taste, from top to bottom, is pure honey and chocolate. I honestly didn't taste a bit of tobacco in it, and thought perhaps that I might have accidentally packed some sort of confectionery in my pipe. It smoked cool though. About mid-way through the bowl I noticed that I had gained 15 pounds...this stuff is SWEET. It is almost TOO sweet for me, and I love sweet aromatics! Nevertheless, I enjoyed it, but in a strange way...much like I would enjoy eating a nice ice cream sundae for breakfast. If you can find a tin of this stuff around, get it - if for nothing else other than novelty. If you have a sweet tooth and love chocolate, then you've just found your tobacco.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Unknown, but possibly 1-2 years

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Burlington, NC

Mild Very Strong Medium Tolerable

I just realized I never reviewed this blend. I ended up giving the tin away to a fellow forum friend who liked it after I had about four or five bowls from the tin. I purchased this mostly because it was available at a B & M and I had heard they stopped making it. I remember my first smoke as I snuck away to by it at a B & M that was near the hospital where my wife was getting a minor procedure done.

I had along my John Barrett rockcob to test it out. (Great pipe for trying out tobacco btw) The chocolate immediately overwhelmed me. I couldn't finish the bowl. While the topping did calm down a little, it was just odd to my tastes. There was a glimpse of some underlying leaf giving the blend some body, so if the topping was a little more agreeable, I probably would have liked this one.

I think for me, chocolate and honey belong more in desert than in tobacco. It was my first go at a chocolate flavored blend, so I am not sure whether it is the use of the chocolate topping in this particular blend, or if I am averse to any chocolate topping. Time will tell as I will likely try more in the future.

I may revisit this review, but likely will not as the accuracy to detail will matter less as the last tins of it are consumed.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)

This is another one of the so called blends that's no longer I n production, but every tobacconist I asked says it is in production ?? Anyway this to me tastes like Scottish Mixture with dark chocolate, and that's not a bad thing. It lacks the latakia spice and sweet hay quality of the Virginia's unlike Mixture. It is softer and sweeter but not sugar sweet, more like semi sweet bakers chocolate sweet. All in all its pretty Good blend. It isn't exact as far as blend goes compared to Scottish, there's a lot more black cav in this blend. But for an aro it's cool and not cloying. This is good if you want something a bit different, aromatic that's not syrupy. Mac Baren has the aromatics down. If you like Mixture, mix Modern, you'll like this as well. Just darker in flavor than the prior two.

Note this blend and others like it stay cool if you slow down just a little. You can't smoke these like a straight burley or an English. At a moderate pace this stays cool. I think a lot of good aros get a bum rap because they aren't smoked properly. Yes some you have to be gingerly with, but this isn't one of them.

Amordad12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amordad12 (3)
Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

it is very strong and i did not like this taste i am regrat that i paid for this tobacco.i heat it.i am not recommended

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Tolerable

This blend burnt hot, but did stay lit and smoke for an exceptionally long time.

The taste they give to this ruined it for me though, Overwhelming, and all in all just bad.

There was some light at the end of the tunnel with the plain tobacco taste, but it came back to bite in the end.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, H.I.S Egg Bent

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Semi-sweet chocolate aroma and flavor highlight an excellent base tobacco. This flavor is more prominent initially, but continues through the bowl in the background. Post exhale, this same flavor remains on the tongue and palate. The cavendish provides a bit more complexity and depth than Symphony. A very good, 3+ blend.

Pipe Used: MM, Savinelli

Age When Smoked: FEB 2008 Tin Date

Purchased From: The Briary, Homewood, AL

Bozorgmehr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bozorgmehr (1)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When you open the tin, it smells good, something like dark chocolate. However, after a couple of smokes, I found it very unpleasant. Not only I had tongue bite after smoking, but also My throat was irritated. I had to mix it with Mac Baren gold blend to smoke it. In nutshell, it was a flash in the pan.

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (11)

This is a quality tobacco from Mac Baren. Opening the tin I immediately sensed the aroma of dark chocolate. I felt no particular the flavor of honey, just a subtle and slightly sweet aftertaste in smoking.

The dark brown Cavendish tobacco is nicely cut to Loose Cut form. The tobacco is wet enough maintains an adequate level of moisture for a long time after the first opening of the tin.

Lights easily and does not require enough extra lighting. Moderately strong in nicotine. It does not biting the tongue, of course I smoke very slowly and calmly. Smoking this tobacco gives interesting and delicious taste, beautiful aroma in the room and remains an easy smoke for at least the first two-thirds of the bowl. Reaching to the base of the bowl tobacco strengthens enough in intensity and shows a slight bitterness, but acceptable. I found him not a very sweet aromatic, the taste of dark chocolate dominates and also sometimes the sense of raisins and honey as background offer a satisfying smoke.

At the end of the smoking it lets gray ash in the bottom of the bowl and does not wet the pipe bowl. Also the filter pipe is not getting too dirty.

I smoked this tobacco in straight, half bent and full bent pipes with filter of 9mm.

Honey & Chocolate can accompany very nicely the morning and afternoon coffee, and a brandy also.

A good aromatic tobacco.

pacman357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pacman357 (15)

My tastes in pipe weed cover a large spectrum, neither being a snob on English blends, nor clinging for dear life to aromatics. I run the gamut from the strongest traditional styles to dessert-level pipe candy. That having been said, I wish there was a bit more chocolate taste to this blend. Tried mixing in a little cherry with some tonight (I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I bought the cherry baccy...I really don't care for any cherry blends...thankfully, I only bought 2 oz of that). The blend came out a bit too heavy on the cherry. Going to try to experiment with that and perhaps a mango blend to see if I can concoct something a bit more interesting.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

I concur with many of the other reviews that this blend took some getting used to. As with many heavily cased aromatics, I needed to let the blend "breath" a bit after opening the tin. Initially, I thought the blend wasn't very good but I have been smoking it intermittantly for six months and it has indeed become very enjoyable. It is defintely a heavier smoke than vanilla blends. Nice cavendish taste with a whiff of chocolate. I would buy again but smoke intermittantly. No problem with tongue bite.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

this is another home run from macbaren. the name can be articulated with many characters this tobacco shows. it is sweet and have that dark chocolate taste and scent to it. considerable nic delivery in this one so you might wanna consider that. the tobacco hold the fire perfectly and burns clean plus the room note is superb. do i recommend it, indeed i do. (just keep in mind that it could be harsh if mistreated).

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I acquired a tin of this blend in a trade. Swapped out Plumcake for it. I have to say I love this blend. It smells just like a nice freshly baked brownie in the itn and that carries over into the taste pretty successfully. It takes the lighting very well and burns nice and evenly with few relights. Overall a great anytime aromatic from Mac Baren.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)

Great tin aroma. Tons of billowing smoke--great for blowing smoke rings! No tongue bite. Burns quickly down to the bottom of the bowl. Not memorable taste, though--I am anxious to finish my first tin, to be done with it.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm sorry, normally I don't post negative reviews but with this offering I feel I must. If you can imagine filling a bowl with charcoal and then lighting it thats what I felt each time I tried to smoke this, hot hot air and very little else. Not a blend to be sitting in my collection for long, very disappointing and not recommended I'm afraid.

N.B. I tried this again. I broke all the rules in the book and emptied the bowl while it was still lit, such was my disgust. diabolical, in the bin with that tin.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

One of the earlier reviewers was spot on in his description of the taste and room note - it's like a fudge brownie. This is a wonderful blend and I recommend it to smokers who like aros.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, as others have observed, one is greeted with a wonderful aroma of rich, dark chocolate. For me, that is where the love ended.

After trying several pipe fulls in various pipes, I could only detect a slight hint of chocolate and honey flavor. Also, as others have mentioned, after smoking this stuff, I concluded that this concoction must have either some perique (which does not agree with me) or burley tobacco, because each bowl, from start to finish, irritated my throat and sinuses.

I am therefore gifting the rest of this tin to a fellow pipe smoker, who once enjoyed cigarettes and so might enjoy this blend. If he doesn't, I suggested that he give it to his girlfriend to use as potpourri. Too bad, I really wanted to like this tobacco. My wife enjoyed the room note, but if you don't enjoy smoking something, why torture yourself?

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am baffled by this tobacco from Mac Baren: there is no mention in the blending notes of what tobacco's are used. Now, I have been thinking a lot about this tobacco and I believe it to be a batch of Acadian Perique that has been reprocessed and flavoured and put on the USA market. I have compared Acadian Perique with this Honey&Chocolate and the basic tobaccos taste the same, same strength, same flavour but shrouded by the chocolate in this blend of course. Perhaps a first batch was flavoured with honey and MB decided not to use a honey casing in the final version. Add chocolate to it, turn it into a "very special kind of cavendish" and voilà: Honey&Chocolate I find it a fairly strong tobacco,just like AP, especially near the end of the pipe, but tasty all the same and indeed not goopy or moist. Worth a try. Rob

pipe_organist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe_organist (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As an avid English/Latakia/Oriental smoker, I thought I was firmly rooted in the "friends don't let friends smoke aromatics" camp.

I've been smoking some of the naturally sweet Mac Baren blends (Dark Twist Roll Cake, Mixture Flake, Navy Flake), and had smoked one of those in a pipe that I'd smoked aros in back in the day. The ghosted sweetness of the old aromatics I'd smoked whetted my appetite for aromatics, and since I was having good luck with Mac B blends, I decided to give this and "Vanilla Creme Loose Cut" both a try.

There are several qualities of the tobacco in the tin that struck me: 1) the aroma of chocolate and honey is very full and rich, but not artificial. This tobacco really does smell like they've sprinkled high-quality dark chocolate powder on it; 2) unlike most of the aros I remember from my early years, this tobacco doesn't feel sticky or greasy. If you pinch the tobacco between your fingers, it doesn't stick together, it stays loose.

It packs very easily, and takes to the flame well. After the first char light and the second full burn, the tobacco burns evenly and stays lit. The rich flavors of chocolate and honey are very evident, but somehow not cloying. Remember, I've been smoking strong Latakia blends like "Krumble Kake" and "Artisan Blend", so my palatte is accustomed to strong, spicy tobacco! I disagree with some reviews that claim that the flavors burn off quickly. It seems to me the flavors become a bit more subtle, but the sweetness remains and lingers.

I no longer consider myself a non-aro snob, and if you're looking for a high quality aro that delivers sweetness without the sticky, gooey mess in the bottom of the bowl, this might be worth your consideration.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Let me start out saying I love MacB, especially Vanilla Cream, which I consider to be one of the finest vanillas I have ever smoked. I have never really noted the Mac Baren "bite" that people complain about in any of their blends - unless I puff like a freight train.

I hate to blast this one. I had very high expectations reading the reviews here.

First, at the tin: The aroma of cocoa leaps out of the tin. The mixture is quite dry for a MacB and fairly dark.

At the bowl: This tobacco packs easily and lights readily. It is not at all goopy and burns cleanly.

At the match: Um...

Almost no room note. No real flavor, either of cocoa or honey. Wife (a fan of tobacco in general and pipes in particular) says she can't detect any aroma at all even sitting right next to me.

The bowl actually gets a little harsh about halfway through. Unusual for a MacB blend for me.

I am only about a quarter of the way through the tin. Perhaps my tin is off. I will wade through the rest of the tin, but I don't expect it will get much better. I won't be buying it again.

This may be a good blend for beginners. It burns easily, stays lit, is very pleasant at the tin and entirely inoffensive in the room. As an aromatic fan however, I prefer to have some aroma (and some flavor). This one just isn't hitting for me.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have been looking for a chocolate blend that suits my tastes. I've tried many blends and although I liked some of them they just didn't quite cut it as a chocolate blend. Now I know that what I was looking for was a blend where chocolate was the center of attention, now i've found it. There's still plenty of tobacco flavor and the blend has body. However, the chocolate flavoring is very prominent in both taste and aroma. Other blends I've tried probably use the chocolate flavoring to bring out certain qualities in the tobaccos used, but with MB Honey & Chocolate chocolate is, as I've said, the center of attention.

Even though the chocolate is prominent and the tin smell strong the flavoring does not overpower the tobacco flavor, it actually enhances it. It is NOT "perfumy" or "soapy" or overwheelmingly sweet as some have said. The tobacco isn't sticky to the touch and it burns really good without leaving any goopy residue at the bottom of the pipe.

Further, I should mention that this blend is very well crafted. There is a great deal of complexity and it really captures the essence of dark chocolate, which is sweet but also has a touch of bitterness. And finally, although the nicotine content isn't off the charts it satisfies and the flavor is very full (the tobacco flavor).

I highly recommend this blend to anyone who is still looking for that "perfect" chocolate blend and has not found one with enough flavor to satisfy. Now, if you've never liked aromatics then stay away from this stuff since it's not the "miracle" blend that will change your mind.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Tolerable

The tin aroma is rather intense, too much so but the flavor is rather bland when smoking. More of the cocoa aspect asserts itself with the chocolate flavoring in the tin aroma with the honey following that had a slight, almost fruity component to it, perhaps cherry. Cherry blossom honey? Or perhaps oldfactory confusion. Anyways, the flavor again is rather bland with I suppose the cocoa component making the most show faintly in the burning aroma and even more faintly taste wise. The base cavendish seems to me to be air cured but perhaps would have been better and more flavorful if flue cured was used or more prominately used instead. It reminded a me of when I smoked Alsbo Black many years ago but much drier.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Mac Baren blends have always been a delight for me. Honey & Chocolate is no exception. The tin aroma is definitely a combination of honey and cocoa. I love honey and I love chocolate so I figured I had a winner here. Upon opening the tin there is the aroma of rich dark chocolate with an almost incense-like aroma from the honey as it mixes and wafts through the chocolate. A positive note with regard to this Mac Baren offering, is that I can actually smell what I am smoking, it tastes as it smells, and I can always taste tobacco along with the flavoring. I can't say that about many aromatics.

My experience with this blend is that it packs well (it is a dry tobacco in the tin and typical of a Mac offering), doesn't need more than 2 lights for me to get it going, it burns cool and even throughout the smoke, and I never experience any moisture accumulation. Never cigarette-like. All Mac Baren blends that I smoke are dried out beyond their already dry feel in the tin beforehand, and this certainly helps to achieve an enjoyable smoke. I have found the tobacco to be quite sweet tasting, not cloying, perhaps bitter-sweet is a more apt description. At times it seems to have a BO like smell in the side stream, but surprisingly, never off-putting. It seems to smoke best in smaller bowl briars, and I have never had a hot smoke. It has a nice spiciness in its flavor without any nibbling at the tongue. Reflecting on the "spiciness" I mentioned, I would add that it is an incense-like spice. There may be Perique in this blend (most likely similar to their Acadian offering)as it is a bit pepper-like at times, but I believe the incense-like spiciness may be attributed to some Oriental leaf. I have had the most enjoyment smoking it in several small-bowled Dr. Grabow pipes. Too large a bowl and I get agita - similar to when I smoke a very heady Burley or with Irish Flake. It also goes exceptionally well in a meer-lined Dr. Grabow I bought many years ago (no longer produced - too bad as the two I have are great smokers). Not a light smoke by any means. If you would like a good aromatic with solid tobacco flavor, you can't go wrong with Mac's Honey Chocolate. It was originally listed on the Mac Baren website but has been removed, since, according to Mac Baren, it's only available in the USA.

Whenever I smoke it, my kids think my wife is baking brownies! It's that good. A nicely done cavendish type tobacco that retains its tobacco presence with a little something extra, Honey & Chocolate is sure to satisfy.

UPDATE 2-18-13: Now listed on the new MacBaren website. Just cracked a 5 year old tin - simply delicious.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Mild Extra Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Error. Error. Error.

I don't know. I feel about like Pipe4ever on this one. I love Mac Baren. Favorite brand, etc etc. But this one is just too much.

Tin note is incense-like - yes, chocolate and honey. Sweet and heavy like Grandma's perfume.

In the pipe, this isn't hot or bitey - a very easy smoke. But the taste is too much like smoking chocolate milk for my tastes.

The one redeeming feature is that it leaves a really delicious smell in the moustache.

Not for me - a delicacy I do not appreciate.

Now, where's my Club Blend...

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

One of the best chocolate flavored blend available, it has a Dark chocolate flavor with dry and cool smoke, strong flavor of bitter cacao and some honey flavor, the smoke is NOT sweet

If you enjoy strong dark chocolate flavor in your tobacco, try this blend.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Got Chocolate ?

Well here it is. Upon popping open the tin you are immediatly greeted with a bitter sweet chocolate aroma like no other. But wait, it gets better. When Mac Baren says this is "a very special kind of Cavendish" they're not kidding. This stuff has great body, again like no other. I've never had a straight Cavendish with such substance and flavor. The aroma is chocolate but the flavor is tobacco, sweet and rich.

What a concept ! What a smoke !

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Very Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

I have long been a fan of many of Mac Baren's offerings so I wanted to try their newest blend "Honey & Chocolate". This is a black cavendish blend that is heavily topped with cocoa, honey, licorice and sugar.

The cut is your standard Danish loose cut with short ribbons of dark brown and black leaf. The moisture content is rather high but not quite "wet". The smell from the tin is a heavy musty scent with a slight resemblance to chocolate.

Packing is pretty easy and I went a little light on the pressure. The initial match brought forth a very dark and heavy flavor similar to the tonquin topping of Sam Gawith's "1792 Flake", although the Mac Baren is not as sophisticated as the Lakeland flake.

When pushed, this blend will bite quite hard. The flavor becomes one-dimensional and tastes not unlike old coffee grounds. If puffed with a lot of respect the tobacco burns slow and cool and requires few relights. A slow cadence rewards the smoker with a subtle sweet dark chocolate flavor and exhaling through the nose only enhances this effect. The general flavor is different from any other blend I have smoked before and it would be correct to say that one might need to acquire a taste for this.

For a moist tobacco it smokes dry and leaves the pipe walls clean of any sticky residue. It does, however, color the flavor of the bowl after one smoke so you may want to avoid using a favorite pipe to try this one.