An all natural blend of burley, Virginia, and Turkish. Perique is then liberally sprinkled throughout adding a peppery zest. An all day non-aromatic smoke.

BrandRich's
Blended BySteven Books-but no longer w/ Rich's
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this a couple of years ago whereupon I smoked a couple of bowls - thought - "Meh" and put it in my pop cooler aka wine cellar and forgot about it.

2 years later I'm revisiting it again and I have to say it's quite tasty. Maybe the Turkish, VAs and Burleys had a chance to meld. Also aging seems to have mellowed the Perique a little - which is nice since I found it to be a little too strident when I first got it.

I can see that this is something a smoker might want when he wants something uncomplicated first thing in the morning.

Nice nutty flavor with a hint of sweetness make for a very enjoyable smoke. Goes well with that first cup of Joe.

Curious that this blend was developed by Stephen Books and on his blends he doesn't include Perique in his version of First Smoke of the Day. So I wonder if someone changed the recipe or he did at some point. It would be interesting to compare the two.

Pipe Used: SWinkS Billiard

Age When Smoked: 2 Years

Purchased From: Rich's

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Mostly burleys of different cuts, sprinkled Virginia, perique very little orientals, the burley seems to be dominant factor on this blend with the virginia weaving in and out, the orientals round it out so it won't be monochromatic the perique makes its presence known by the last third of the pipe, easy to smoke, if you are looking for a complex smoke look somewhere else, what this is no nonsense pipe tobacco for experience pipe smokers, the nicotine level on this one is not low at all if your not careful it'll put you in your bud. Would I buy it again YES!

Side note I bought this blend in September of 09 at Rich's, I do not know if the recipe have change now that mr Books is an independent retailer.