Full-bodied, flavorful Latakia and Kentucky tobaccos were combined with Black Cavendish and then pressed to flake.

BrandRobert McConnell
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsKentucky, Black Cavendish, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

2.9
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Unique is the best way to describe this flake. Nice floral, almost perfume-like, notes. Latakia nicely balanced with the Kentucky giving deep flavors of smoke, wood and earth. There is an underlying sweetness that I assume is coming from the cased Black Cav. That's probably where the floral notes are coming from as well. The flavors are strong and rich, the smoke medium to full bodied. An outstanding, very well put together smoke. Simply delicious.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

How could I resist anything called something like "Latakia Flake?" So of course I got myself a tin as soon as I could lay hands on one.

I checked out KK&Co's web site before opening the tin; they claim this blend is not flavoured. Opening the tin, it turns out that it is; there is a very distinct sauce applied here; similar to the classic Lakeland Floral, but kept in check by the BC included here. The slices, as has been said before, crumble at so much as a sharp look. The Latakia is there, but very gently, and I can also make out the KY.

I get my best results with this blend after fully rubbing out enough for a pipe; no drying time necessary for me. The taste is pretty sweet, with toast and oomph provided by the Lat and KY components; the VA and BC provide lots of sweetness and variety. The room note is a somewhat mixed affair, but is certainly helped by the sauce, which also gives the smoke a fresh taste and aftertaste, the latter of which lingers on for a while.

I find I do have to re-light a few times, but in the end there is nothing but ashes in my bowl, so that is OK for me. The taste deepens a little throughout the smoke; the sauce stays on right until the end, and while manufacturer Kohlhase, Kopp & Co. rate this as a very strong 'baccy, it is in my experience nowhere near, say, Peterson's Irish Flake, which they rate at the same strength.

All in all, I find Latakia Flake a satisfying smoke in the afternoon; it will never be an all-day affair for me though. My favourite tipple to go along with this blend is a good Irish Single Malt.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Latakia and Stoved Virginias in one flake. These combinations don't come around often.

A flake version of Commonwealth Mixture, if you will.

This, mates, is what I call a flake. Despite being very dark, they break to one's requirements extremely well and they smoke amazingly well.

Of course it can be somehow undimensional, there are two types of tobaccos involved. No different than...an all Burley flake, for example. But it is still very rewarding if smoked appropriately(slowly). This is still a rich and tasty mixture that smokes extraordianrely dry considering the dark, almost black flakes!

This flake is for Latakia's most fervent and loyal fans. I shall store my remaining tins in my Coleman Cooler and allow them to age for a couple years. That is, if I can resist until then...

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Robert McConnell's Latakia flake is like nothing I have smoked before. This is for the unconditional Latakia lover and novices should stay away from it.

The long, dark and thick flakes are easy to break to someone's favorite level of rubbing out. I would advise against putting full flakes in the pipe: I think that the taste and strength would be simply overwhelming.

In order to get the best out of the taste, it is preferable to smoke slowly. If not, you will only taste the nicotine. And it would be a shame, because this flake provides a fine balance between spicines, sweetness and smokiness. And something else that I cannot identify. The tobacco stays lit without any problem despite the darkness of the flake.

The last third of the bowl represents a significant increase in strength, taste and nicotine level. Surprisingly, my wife did not complain of my smoking it in the house because the room aroma is very discreet the first 2/3. Still, it remains tolerable the last third.

This is a very dry smoke. My pipe cleaners were not all dark as I proceeded. Only at the end, when I cleaned up the bowl.

I highly recommend this flake. I will rebuy more on a regular basis. I am under the impression that McConnel's flake is a 100 years old mixture that traveled through time to end up in my pipe. A true taste of the past.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

The casing on this tobacco is the same as on Revor Plug. For those who aren't familiar with that tobacco, it is a dark, strong VA/B plug available only in the UK. The casing also resembles that used in Bracken Flake. Here the casing is not that prominent but plays in the background.

The strength of this tobacco is also approaching that of Revor Plug and other dark, scented British flakes (but again the scenting here is not as profound as in most Lakelands). What is interesting is that this contains Syrian Latakia in no small amount and it isn't a Lakeland.

So what do we have ? A strong, dark almost black (crumbly but not a crumble-kake) flake with a Lakeland like topping and a generous amount of Syrian Latakia.

What this is NOT is a typical English blend, in the sense that people who enjoy, say, medium English blends with Oriental tobaccos and red Virginias will like. It is somewhat similar to the another (rum) scented Latakia flake (whose name escapes me at the moment, maybe something by S. Gawith) which I've had, but this product has more strength (vit N).

The Latakia makes itself known in the wine-like, smoky way which Syrian Latakia works, but the Latakia takes a back seat to the Kentucky and I suppose also the black Cavendish (which must be VA Cavendish) which provide a good amount of power. Not as much as GH dark flake, or 1792, but very significant vit. N content.

Although I haven't tried it, I doubt this likes a large bowled pipe. The flakes are very dense and crumbly and it would be difficult to fill and smoke a big bowl (also it would be foolhardy).

Full of old-fashioned full bodied goodness, only those who like the dark, strong stuff should try this. Beginners, Latakiaphobes and nico-weenies stay far away.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening the tin, I get the same smell as Irish Flake but with some Latakia. The meaty flakes are dark, almost black, with some sugar deposits. Lighting the flake without drying is difficult and requires several relights for the entire bowl.

The Kentucky and Latakia produce a lot of smoke and the taste is accordingly stronger than it is flavorful.I get Kentucky and also a burnt onion taste that reminds me of Samuel Gawith Black XX Twist. There is no sweetness just some toasty undertones, as for Latakia, it gets swallowed by the Kentucky.

Overall a tobacco for experienced pipe smokers, an evening or after dinner smoke. I have to say that the name is a misnomer as I was expecting a Latakia flake bomb and I got a Kentucky flake instead.

Not bad on its own merits but I start to think that the Robert McConnnell tobaccos are only pale attempts to attain a former glory.

One of the strongest Latakia blends I've tried. Nicotine addicts with a penchant for Latakia will eat this one up.

The flakes are mostly dry yet pliable and jet black in appearance. A moderate to full rub worked best for me. I particularly enjoyed the smoothness mixed in with the strength. Tough to compare, but were I to take a stab at it, I'd say McConnell's Latakia Flake is very similar to the old Smoker's Haven Pirate Kake with a little more muscle.

plugnsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plugnsmoke (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

This tin was beautiful outside and in. When opened your greated with a nice gold foil seal and pencil like sketch of a leaf. The tin note wasof Latakia but the dark fire really cuts through and in the bowl was a great treat on the pallet. I left it out over night and it dried more than I would have liked and thought I had ruined it. This wasn't the case as it burned and lit extremely well. I really expected a stronger nic hit from the df, especially towards the bottom but it wasn't there. I'd say its satisfying for most but I look for that green feeling when I'm dealing with a dark fire Kentucky. It was nice to try and the tin is beautiful but I won't reorder so the hunt for the lat flake of a lifetime continues. Paul

Pipe Used: olive blowfish

Age When Smoked: 2yrs

Purchased From: local shop

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Extra Strong

This is a strange one. Dark black flakes that crumble almost from a soft breath and a tin aroma that is not enticing. The crumble makes for an easy load and it burned perfectly.

The taste was odd. I'm guessing the latakia was of the Syrian variety, as it was more sour and wine-like in taste. Too sweet as well, possibly from an overabundance of cavendish (to my palate) or perhaps a casing gone awry. Whatever it was, it managed to beat the Kentucky down more than I could ever imagine. The nicotine was abusive and I had to smoke this in smaller bowls than I prefer. The whole concoction just tasted bizarre - a mixture of too sweet and almost soil-like. I only smoked about half the tin as it was, and mixed the rest with Cyprian latakia, while rubbing out the rest of the tin to make it consistent in cut. Only in this manner did it approach something I enjoyed. Where this one gets high marks is for originality. I've never smoked anything quite like it. If you enjoy a lot of nicotine and a sweetness that is enmeshed with the earthiness of Kentucky leaf, this is definitely one to take for a spin.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

update 12/26/2010

I recently opened up a 2 1/2 tin. Wow! The Dark Fired Kentucky brought an amazing spicy bold addition to this flake, making it a must for anyone who seeks a good Latakia based blend!

Nice, strong and tasty!!! ___________________________________

Original Review 07/25/2010

This flake is probably the most original mixture I had the pleasure to smoke.

Because of the high content of Latakia, this can come out as being an unidimensional, almost kind of bland smoke.

The secret to enjoy it is no different than an all Burley blend. It needs to be smoked slow and it requires your full dedication.

If you don't do these, you will miss one of the most interesting tobaccos on the market today.

Of note, the tin aroma is the strangest ever. Don't let it stop you.

This flake should not be an all day smoke. I smoke a tin a year, not more. And appreciate it every time.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

This is the best Latakia flake I have ever had. And also the most intriguing tin aroma I have ever encountered in my pipe smoking years!

Dark, dark and dark flakes. Easy to rub to someone's liking and despite a little bit too much of moisture at first, smokes extremely well.

In order to get full pleasure of this amazing flake, it is recommended to dedicate your full attention to it so that the stoved VAs can shine through the dominant Latakia taste. When dedicating oneself, the reward is...rewarding!

Despite the high amount of Latakia, this tobacco ir room aroma friendly. I have offended nor incommodated anyone when smoking this flake at home among guests.

This, gentleman, is a man's flake. Lighter than Peterson Irish super flake, for strength's comparison. And substantially stronger than Balkan Flake from Samuel Gawith.

Latakia lovers, trying this outstanding creation of McConnel's is mandatory. I belive you will not be disappointed.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Latakia Flakes are not exactly common, so I was quite excited when this one appeared on the market. In fact I bought a tin the second it appeared on my favorite purveyor's website. It is most certainly of high quality with a beautiful jet black appearance and inviting tin aroma. The nicotine level in this is a bit high so proceed with caution. You must definitely smoke it slowly.

Overall I found it somewhat one dimensional but worth trying. I probably will not buy it again, but I still have some left and will revisit it.

UPDATE: 2-4-14: I realized I never updated my thoughts on this blend. It proved to be overwhelmeing in nicotine and just not pleasant. I have removed a star.

Xious Sonenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xious Sonenberg (9)
Strong Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

McConnell's Latakia Flake is a strange beast: Not what I expected on purchase, and somehow oddly co-mingling detest and love, hate and joy. It is pleasant, but has enough problems to be worth noting. I always keep some around, which i dip into when I want something with a lot of punch, but not too overwhelming on the palate.

Opening the tin reveals a selection of unusual, crumbly flakes,, that are similar in texture to Penzance, although they are long-cut, rather than square-cut. They tend to stick together heavily, making it difficult to separate at first, and need drying time. The main objection here is that they act more like crumble-cake than flake, and I am no fan of the former

The fragments are jet-black in colour, with duller and shinier areas, and seem to be composed primarily of stoved VA (possibly Black Cavendish, but I believe it to be mostly the former), mixed with Syrian leaf and some other dark components that never really come alive. The taste is nearly mono-dimensional, with a bit of sweetness, a but of spice, and a somewhat licorice-like complexion.

To be honest, the only change as you smoke is an ashy dulling, so smaller bowls are best. A clay is useful to a certain extent, but doesn't change much. The initial burn is usually problematic, and relighting seems mandatory, often many times. You may want to try it initially in a pipe that you don't love, in case the flavour doesn't appeal to you. The combination if latakia (English-y) and Stoved VA / Cavendish (aromatic-ish) tobaccos means that you may find any dedicated pipe will take up a bit of the other side in its seasoning.

The flakes are very thick, somewhat dry (although sticky) and crumble into chunks as soon as you try to do anything with them. Once you do have them lit, they do burn cool and slow, with no bite. Eventually you learn that there is no proper way to fill a bowl, and just shove it in any way that you can, and do what you may to keep it burning. Honestly, it almost seems as if it has a mind of its own and struggles to stay alive, shunning the flames.

You will want to keep a few extra packs of marches on hand for this. If you use a clay, at the least, the burn may improve from the radiant heat, and you may find it easier to keep this one going.

All-in-all, this is one blend you will have to judge for yourself, on its own merits and flaws. Honestly, I wish that this was no more than McConnell' Latakia in flake form, but alas, 'tisn't. I usually go for it when i want something different that has enough body to be pleasing and enough Nicotine to keep me awake, or relax me to bed; the only problem is that for a nighttime blend, it is too difficult to keep burning, and I often end up staying awake just relighting it, so a tiny bowl is useful if you want it for this reason.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Strong Mild Medium Very Strong

A very beautiful tin. My friend “Ritsa” got it for me from Frankfurt. I opened it, even though I DIDN'T HANE a second one. At first I thought that this was a blend with more than 90% Latakia, which I should mix it up with some other tobacco. The flakes are nice and tidy. Their color was black, pitch black color I would say and were I quite wet. Filling the bowl and lighting it up was a bit difficult. The first impression, as well as the second, the third, is that it has a subtle fragrance. Not vanilla, chocolate or cherry but something else unspecified. It is heavy on nicotine. The taste of Latakia is not so noticeable, and it is not to nice too. It also contains stoved Virginia.

The room scent is….tra-gi-c. Maybe if it was mixed with some Oriental blend that would add some more sweetness, I would like it more

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was pretty good stuff. With most of a tin under my belt, here goes:

Tin note smells like clove cigarettes. I believe this flake has been flavored with wine.

The flakes are not dried out, but more crumbly than pliable. Fold and stuff did not work out.

Alight, I find the taste intriguing: it's definitely latakia, but not a "dry" latakia (a la Captain Earle's Ten Russians) or an overwhelming latakia (a la C&D's Billy Budd). Some may describe this as "wine-like", but to me the flavoring presents itself as "smoky cheddar wheel". And the nicotine is there: by mid-bowl, you may set this one down for a moment.

Overall, probably not quite four stars, but a very solid three-plus.

hiatus67 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiatus67 (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Very nice blend for tasting the Syrian Latakia. It is not very easy to smoke all day and it is a bit uni dimensional, but for a first and second bowl it provides a very pleasant smoking experience. With it I've tried my first custom blend, mixing 1:1 with No.2 Virginia Mixture from Astley's, a VA/Per. The result was awesome and this was the beginning for me to blending my own mixtures, now I play with blending tobaccos and I smoke mainly my owns

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

It comes in an elegant tin and flakes are in good condition which allow fine crumbling. Strong as a hammer, however quite tasteless and it smells strange. When it dried, it was a little bit better. Usually I prefer Latakia but not this one... its flat and soapy taste drives me crazy.

My rate: 0.5

Big Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Tex (2)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Allow me to start by saying that I love Latakia. However, this tobacco is too one-dimensional for me--it lacks complexity and depths. If you want a nice punch of nicotine, you will find it here.

Warning: Make sure that children can't get hold of this tobacco: It smells and looks like some very dark chocolate when you open the tin.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very nice Virginia/Latakia, well balanced, with Latakia in the lead role and sweet Virginias to complement. Similar to SG Commonwealth, they both share a lack of depth compared to traditional English mixtures, but they deliver for the Latakia craving smokers and those not too fond on Orientals.

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

This tastes to me almost exactly like Peterson's Irish Flake, but with a healthy dose of Latakia added. In theory, I should like this blend. I enjoy Irish Flake. I enjoy Latakia. But, apparently, I don't enjoy them together. I did not find the flavors to be complimentary here. Instead, they seemed to wrestle for dominance with neither ever really getting the upper hand. I can see how this could appeal to someone, but it just isn't for me.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (63)

A very hearty blend, rich in nicotine, that should be smoked slowly, patiently and, above all, with respect or one is forced to lay down both pipe and body until the vertigo passes. Latakia Flake's strength is not apparent until one has smoked about a third of the bowl. After that, when the strength of this tobacco reaches its apex, it might make one think of Penzance wearing brass knuckles. I would recommend a small to medium size bowl (or a nice, long churchwarden) to "safely" enjoy this tobacco and dodge those upper cuts to the chin. Don't misunderstand me: this is a fine blend, and I am quite surprised that it seems to have escaped notice amongst pipe smokers.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (141)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A full flake composed of stoved bright (I imagine because of zest) Virginias and Latakia. Best fully rubbed

No detailed description given but I suspect this is a species of Syrian, as it is potent but not as smoky as Cyprian.

Cool and smooth but with a nico hit. Overall on the strong side due to the dark flavor.

Fairly unique due to the slight zesty to leathery flavor curve, but mostly uniform taste.

Not as complex as Germain's but still full enough.