Samuel Gawith offers this Christmas blend for a limited time celebrating the 2006 holiday season.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringCinnamon
Strength
Mild, Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Overwhelming
Very Pleasant, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
2.0
Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Christmas Mixture 2006 came to me last month from a friend who did not like it. It had been lying with him for some three years in a zip-lock bag. Opening the bag with some apprehension I was very pleasantly surprised. The mostly golden, coarsely cut tobacco was at the perfect moisture level for putting into a pipe. Putting nose to bag, I found a very slight, very subtle nutty and spicy redolence, quite unlike anything else in my experience.

In the pipe it lit willingly, and stayed lit. And here I come to the strange part. The taste was nothing but tobacco, but there was a lovely and subtle aroma of cinnamon in the smoke, which I liked very much. The mixture smoked dry in both senses of the term: there was no gurgle, nor any artificial sweetness.

Of the pound that I got, half has gone up in smoke. I had some thought of saving up the other half for Christmas, but it seems unlikely that I will be able to restrain myself. In my experience age is not kind to aromatics, turning them bitter and acrid. This seems to be a notable exception.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (47)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

This is a blend that I very much looked forward to smoking during the holiday season. I am a big fan of several of the Gawith blends, and how can you go wrong when you're one of the oldest tobacco blenders out there? Well, this one is wrong, it is bad, in fact it is horrid. I threw mine away after the third attempt to smoke it. A major disappointment.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I hate to disagree with all those who like this blend, but I could find nothing really nice to say about it. It's not that it burned too hot or anything, it just tasted bad, IMHO. Too many conflicting flavors -- I imagine that chewing a half-dozen sticks of different types of incense might give a similar effect. NOT recommended.