Our oldest mixture, this combination of seven different tobaccos was originally blended by L. J. Peretti at the turn of the 20th century. Exceptionally mild and smooth, it can be smoked all day by itself or blended with other mixtures for a milder effect.

BrandPeretti
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste

3.6
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The mildly molasses sweet and nutty burley is the star, and is given a flavor push by a number of components in such proportion that it's takes a while to distinguish them. I certainly notice a small amount of cigar leaf (Connecticut shade?), which is nicely supported by a smaller amount of latakia, and a little Oriental/Turkish for a light smokey hit. I can't detect the Maryland, and just barely notice the Kentucky. The Virginia is a minor player, too, but adds just a tad sweetness and a whisper of grass. Elusive hints of peppermint and vinegar show up now and then, too. The Gold cavendish is slightly present with a sweet note or two. Burns exceptionally well and cool with no bite and no moisture or harshness at the finish. Possibly the mildest complex blend I've had the pleasure of smoking, I also had fun picking out the subtle varieties of flavors.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Because I was the one who added this wonderful blend to the Peretti's roster reviewed here, I am honored to be the first to review it. It is somehwat a daunting task.

Because Peretti's has been around continuously since 1870, one has to accept two truths about Cuban mixture: 1.) It contains cigar leaf. And 2.) Being the store's first mixture, it pre-dates Castro--though not by long!

Those are safe assumptions. What is NOT safe or warranted is that the original character or intent of this blend has been altered by time and politics. This is the REAL THING.

Using cigar tobacco in pipe blends used to be a relatively common thing in America and Britain; it gives body to the smoke. Balkan Sobranie's Virginia # 10 and G.L. Pease's Robusto are the most eloquent examples of this. There are others that are brought-off with less finesse, but I shan't mention them.

This blend harkens back to the days when tobacco was all there was to lend flavor to a pipe mixture, and one will encounter a melange of flavors here. And pleasantly-so; there is no bite or ashy taste as you make your way down the bowl.

If I might compare the sublime with the less-than-sublime, Cuban Mixture is similar to Middleton's Walnut, though without the casing (cheap) and PEG. Guess which is the "sublime."

Three out of four stars...for the history lesson alone. You get extra points for savoring the flavor of a true American Original.

Update: 02/12/07

I reviewed this blend initially in the warmer months when my tastes turn invariably to Burleys. Virginia flakes are simply NOT my cup of tea. The ONLY exception was Limerick when it was first introduced. Don't know what happened to it...but now it is pure soap and no tobacco.

But I digress. Whilst rummaging through my stash last evening, I came across a well-aged and preserved quantity of this venerable blend.

As I have been smoking heavier Latakia mixtures since the frost has been on the pumpkin (not to mention my car and other things in the garage) I just wanted a smoke. Man, was I delighted I ran across this blend! It gets better, immeasurably better, with cellaring and neglect (if properly stored.)

For the tobacco snobs out there whe eschew Burley-based blends and believe if a tobacco is worth a tin it would have one...t'aint necessarily so! Cuban Mixture is as nuanced and flavorful as anything available today...plus it is an authentic taste of yesteyear. NOTHING hangs around for 137 years by accident.

For the experienced smoker ONLY....treat yourself!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the Burley that keeps drawing me back. I love the cut, and while it may burn faster than a cube cut, it stays lit and doesn't clog the airway the way a cube sometimes can.

The cigar here is not intense, but merely adds a little backbone to the smoke. This is still first and foremost a Burley, despite all the other leaf present. It's sweet and nutty, but the other leaf also makes it meaty and substantial. Nictotine? Well, it's no Old Joe Krantz, but it does the job. Speaking of C&D, Billy Budd does not hold a candle to Cuban Mixture. Cold and dark versus warm and golden, as was so eloquently detailed by another reviewer. That comparison is right on the money.

This is my go-to Burley.

Updated 11/21/2011

I have to take a star away. I've spent a lot of time getting to know C&D's catalog of Burleys and American blends, and frankly the Peretti stuff just doesn't hold up in comparison. I can't get past the scenting either. Some times I'll get a great smoke out of one of these Peretti Burleys, but more often than not I am overwhelmed by the floral, soapy scenting they all have. I'll stick to the C&D Burleys.

ah1502 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ah1502 (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, this is my first review. I have only been smoking pipes for about 6 weeks (cigar smoking for years), but I have tried about as many different varieties as the number of days since I started. This is the blend I have been seeking.

A great tasting blend, with a cool, sweet smoke and fullness of taste. No tongue bite whatsoever. Somewhat of a pleasant room note, although not really aromatic at all. The tobacco burned exceptional with minimal relights.

I am still working out all the nuances of the different tobaccos, but I just wanted to voice my opinion : I love this blend. It's no wonder it's their oldest mixture!

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

An old classic containing all kinds of interesting flavors (but Burley is the lead singer). I smoked a bowl of a sample I was sent last night and enjoyed the richness of the nutty Burley and I think the fullness was provided by some Cavendish. I tried a second bowl this morning mixed with a little Five Brothers added and the strength was finally (as Goldilocks would say), just right.

Newbie2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie2010 (12)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up an ounce of this last week to try it and I am definitely going to buy more. It packs well, burns well, and the flavor will definitely appeal to the cigar aficionados. It's fantastic. At the same time, I was told that Cuban Mixture DOES NOT contain any cigar leaf. It's the burley that takes center stage, and all the other tobaccos that make up this blend definitely create a party in your pipe. The flavor smacks of sweetness and depth of coffee, caramel and all the attributes one craves in a cigar. It's close, but remember, no cigar leaf, and it is oh so very satisfying.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Funny thing. Half-way through the bag I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about and I didn't think I had a party in my pipe. I took a break for about a month, fire-ed up a bowl and then POW!This stuff is excellent. During my break I was smoking several strong Orientals and a few aromatics. Maybe this set up a contrast for the taste of the Cuban mixture because when I returned to the Cuban I could really taste the subtleties of the tobaccos in the mix.

Of Note: Perretti calls this an "America Blend" as they do all their burley based blends. Although this mix has a lot of burley, Perretti does a fine job of not having the borley overwhelm the othe tabackys.

This is an excellent change of pace from English blends without being a virginia blend which I don't really prefer. Very interesting. Smooth, mellow and tasty.

late-nitedrydrunk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
late-nitedrydrunk (10)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

There's a party in my pipe too! A mild strength tobacco that's not so light on flavor. The perfect balance of the eight types of tobacco used in Cuban Mixture as well as the consistency of the blend over the years is the mark of a master blender. There's a little somethin' in this blend for everyone. I find myself smoking this whether or not I'm in the mood for something mild because the flavor is so satisfying.

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Go natural with this unadulterated, super smoking gem from Peretti's. Cuban Mixture harkens to the day when the flavor of your smoke was from the blending of quality tobacco and not from added flavors. I can see why this is their oldest blend and has lasted so long. This blend has the perfect moisture content when received. It is, as described, ribbon cut with some chopped pieces. The picture in the description makes the tobacco look lighter than it really is.

Anyways, this is GREAT stuff. It packs and burns with ease. It doesn't have a strong odor (it isn't coated with anything) so you smell real tobacco. The quality of the leaf is outstanding! This is the perfect everyday, all day smoke for the tobacco lover in us all.

robo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robo (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What is not to like. There is a reason this smoke has been around for a long time. Great flavor. I love the combination of tobaccos that make up Cubam Mixture. You own it to yourself to try this one.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I must say this Blend recieves a Gold medal in my opinion. This is one of the best blend I have ever smoked. Full flavor and strength. Somewhat sweet I detect its that famous Cased burley of Perettis which I love and just enough virginia tang. I tried it all size bowls but it really works well in a group 4 or 5 anything over than that smoke at your owm risk. Smaller bowls seems doesnt seem to get that nicotine satisfaction. This is a must try for any pipe smokers.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow - there's a party in my pipe, and every type of tobacco was invited! From the first puff of the bowl to the last, I love every bit of it. It starts out with an explosion of natural sweetness from the cigar leaf and Va, then the various other tobaccos make their appearance. I detect burley, perique, and latakia in addition to the Va and cigar leaf. The cigar leaf may indeed be Cuban as this blend reminds me of Mr. Alfred's Own (but much more full) and Peretti pre-dates the embargo. It packs and burns very well. The aroma coming off the bowl is heavenly, but I think non- smokers will only find it tolerable at best. It is quite full, so only light puffing is required to achieve good flavor. That is a good thing as there is quite a bit of nicotine in this. Don't smoke it on an empty stomach or while operating heavy machinery! It burns well and completely down to a fine white ash. At $40/lb as of 6/2008, it is quite expensive, but I feel it is worth every penny. Vastly better than Robusto and more refined than Billy Budd, this is one of the finest mixtures I've ever had. If you enjoy smooth, full-flavored tobacco, you must try this.

Jackgowild Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jackgowild (5)

I always try to visit there shop when in BOSTON. I like this blend when I have to be around people who might not like the idea of a heavy latakia blend. It is very enjoyable and wont scare the Lady's away. recomended

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my 100th review for TR and I wanted to pick a tobacco deserving of this honor. In Cuban Mixture I think I have found one.

The Peretti website says this is a blend of seven different tobaccos that was blended around the turn of the century by L.J. Peretti himself. It doesn't list individual tobaccos. It's easy to see why it's been in their lineup for so long, Cuban Mixture is a superb smoke. It has some of Peretti's world famous burleys and my taste buds also detect some cigar leaf in the blend, which is probably where it got its' name. There are probably some VAs in it, too, to balance out the burley. There is some casing present but it only adds to the fine combination of flavors in this wonderful blend. It smokes dry and cool.

To my taste buds, C&D and Peretti are the masters of burley and I have several of their fine blends in my cabinet. The only downer (and this applies to most all tobaccos) is that prices have gone up quite a bit in the last few years. It would probably be a good idea to stock up now before the tobacco taliban make things even worse. Nevertheless, for the quality of this blend, it is a good buy still.

Like all the Peretti tobaccos I have tried, CM packs, lights, and burns very easily. It responds well to various packing methods.

Scores for Cuban Mixture: flavor-18 of 20; lighting and burn-9 of 10; value-8 of 10. 35 points equals an outstanding ** rating.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had the opportunity to visit Peretti's several weeks ago during a business trip to Boston. The last time I was there was about 10 years ago. This if one of the great tobacco stores in the country. They have been around since 1870, and in their current store since 1937. It's like walking back into another era. A must stop if you go to Boston.

I decided to try their Cuban Mixture, based on the below reviews and being one of their oldest mixtures; 100 years +. This is truly different and unique tobacco. Beautiful fragrant dark brown and tan tobaccos and a wonderfull aroma. The Distingish Gentleman said it best; " A Myriad of Flavors". The base of this mixture is their famous cased burley along with 7 other tobaccos including cigar leaf. But it really dosen's really taste like a cigar. No latakia, no orientals, but still has a medimum to strong taste. I am finding myself smoking this mixture every day.

If your looking for a classic American tobacco blend, and a break form English & VAPer tobaccos, this is the blend to try.

FYI: For those of you who live in the Chicago area, Peretti's will be at the Chicagoland Pipe Show, May 5-6, in St. Charles IL. I'll be picking up more Cuban Mixture there!

Highly Recommended

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This truly is one of the more unique cigar blends on the market. The thing that stands out most about this blend is that it is actually very good. A myriad of flavors come through the bowl all at once. The first being that famous Peretti cased burley followed by cigar. It however, does have that "DIRTY" taste initially as embee so eloquently described. Once you get past those 1st 30 seconds it becomes sheer pipe smoking bliss! A very solid 3 stars!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

At first light it?s a full frontal attack, but if you?re patient and aren?t easily scared off, your senses will be amply rewarded. Make no mistake about it: this is not a blend for neophytes. It?s serious tobacco, and probably the finest cigar blend you can find since the demise of the late, great 123 Mixture. Peretti is one of America?s, if not the world?s best blenders, definitely worthy of each and every fastidious smoker?s attention. At first, CB is a dirty smoke, like a bunch of White Owls were placed in a jar and crushed with Virginias. Very soon, though, a multiplicity of flavors and subtly sweet aromas wax and wane with an impressionistic élan. Most unusual and a must try for all smokers seeking a full, unmistakably unabashed tobacco taste.

Three and a half of five stars