A full blend with dark Virginia's and a very high proportion of Orientals including rare Yenidje and Latakia

BrandCompton's of Galashiels
Blended ByMax Engel
Blend TypeBalkan
Packaging100g Pouch
CountryCA
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.8
quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

UPDATED 3/12/12:

Compton's Compendium, a tasting journey through all of Maxim Engel's Compton's Blends.

This is a very full-flavored blend that actually seems fuller to me than York Full. I think this could be a result of the profound smoothness of York as compared to Macedonian which perhaps has some sharp edges to wear down. But this is by no means a bad thing. While York is the quintessential smooth old powerhouse, this is the brash younger upstart. However, based on my sampling from a couple years ago, it improves with age, which I am very much looking forward to.

On first light it's fantastic, with a richness from the well-balanced proportion of Virginia and Orientals. As the bowl burns, a contrasty sharpness appears which tingles the nose and the soft palate, even the tongue at times. I wouldn't call it bite, it's more like "spicy."

The Orientals are far in the lead in this one, lending flavors ranging from tangy to smoky to herbal/toasty in various proportions, influenced strongly, I believe, by the Yenidje. Even the room note is nice! For those of you who like an Oriental Bomb (that's the first time I've ever used that term!) this one will certainly satisfy.

I have a tendency with this blend to puff pretty hard, which intensifies the flavors and provides lots of beautiful smoke (and can heat up the briar). But when I slow down and concentrate, the rewards are manifold, including a wonderful complexity, verious flavors wafting in and out, and a richness that rivals or surpasses many of the full Balkans out there.

Four stars, consistent with my TR review from more than two years ago.

OLD REVIEW: This is one delicious blend! It was great when I opened it months ago, but I put it in a jar and just re-opened it after about six months of aging. Not a huge improvement, but a little better than it was which is to say fantastic.

Jar aroma is smoky sweet like 965. It's based on dark Virginias, which I love, but the flavor is so well balanced that nothing really takes center stage. There is a wonderful creaminess and richness during the first half-bowl that gives way to a more straightforward almost-Balkan strength that just keeps giving and giving.

When I have the means I'll be ordering lots of this stuff to lay away for a while...

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Yenidje, yenidje, yenidje ... a spicy oriental leaf that was once the key ingredient of the legendary Balkan Sobranie, long believed to have passed beyond the reach of pipe smokers, the stuff of myth and flowery explosions of purple prose and poetry on countless message boards ...yenidje.

That's pretty much what this tobacco blend is all about. Sure, there's latakia here as well as a good dollop of more familiar orientals. There's also some virginia here, although I suspect only in condimental amounts. But make no mistake -- you will taste yenidje in every draw, and oftentimes it's by far the most prevalent flavor.

Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily. Many smokers will love this with a passion normally reserved for mistresses and antique cars. Many of us still remember the Balkan Sobranie of yore and will leap at the chance to once again sample the trademark incense/savory flavor that had become, until the last couple of years, almost as rare as a gold nugget found in the backyard vegetable garden (and nearly as valuable). Others will wish to sample at least once in their liftime this legendary tobacco in a presentation that, in all probability, is a reasonable enough facsimile of the old Sobranie.

To my tastes, however, this blend isn't appropriately balanced. I love good orientals, but to me they should be used as condiments and in this mixture the amount of yenidje seems to go beyond that. I could have used less of that leaf and more of ... well, everything else in the pouch!

Nonetheless, the quality of all the base tobaccos appears to be absolutely top-shelf and others might well find this to be expertly blended to their tastes. The burning qualities, presentation, etc. are all fine if not spectacular. I enjoyed my sample of this, but I don't expect to be cellaring this in quantity (although I am tempted to perhaps mix it in with another Balkan such as Odyssey as an experiment). Russ Ouelette's new blend, Magnum Opus, does far more with far less of this fabled spice leaf and is a far better value for the money, IMHO.

To my purely subjective tastes, this is about 2 stars. I'm going to bump it up to three stars, however, because the quality is obviously there and I do recommend that other Balkan lovers give it a shot.

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)

Macedonian Mixture is a full, rich, flavorful smoke. It, like all Compton blends that I've enjoyed, lends itself best to soft leisurely sipping of the pipe. In my experience, appreciation of its complexity is lost with puffing. Comparison of it to some romanticized blend from the past - now extinct - is pointless to me. Similarly, I'm not at all interested to know it's percentage of this strain of tobacco or that. Honestly stated....who cares and so what? I'm not a tobacco blender. We can enjoy paintings by Monet without ever being able to name the specific hues that make for its beauty. Macedonian Mixture is simply a very, very good pipe tobacco, thoughtfully blended. Compared to the Balkan Mixture and York Full Mixture, Macedonian Mixture is a bit less smooth in the throat and sinuses , but equally rich. Time in the jar will round it out, and its complexity will leap forward. Compton's of Galashiels blends are the pipe tobacco equivalent of historic Cuban cigars, in my opinion. With age, their unique excellence will become classically exquisite. They are a mature pleasure to be enjoyed with a good book, cool drink, alone in contemplation or with the company of comfortable friends or a loyal dog. Macedonian Mixture is very well done and wholly satisfying for those who enjoy fine tobacco. It has no flaws in being what it is intended to be.

Pipe Used: Davorin Morta Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Freshly blended

Purchased From: Pipes2Smoke.com

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Excellent Balkan mixture, the closest I've found to Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture so far. I will compare both since most people does and many try Macedonian Mixture looking for a replacement to the legendary English product.

The Yenidje leaf is present in Compton's product and in similar proportions, but I guess this variety is a bit sharper. The roundness and mellowness one used to find in BSOM is less evident in MM and makes its taste (not its strength) kind of overwhelming at times. The Latakias used in both are quite similar, and if someone told me they are the same, I'd trust him.

Overall, a wonderful experience.

sea otter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sea otter (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Macedonian Mixture is sold by Max Engel at Pipes2Smoke under the Compton's of Galashiel label. There is a detailed and interesting discussion of how Max obtained the rights to this brand on his website. This is the first currently available tobacco that provides a Balkan Sobranie White experience. That unique tart-sweet odor that lasts throughout the bowl is present. I carefully compared a bowl of one week old MM with a bowl of 25 year old BSW. The BSW was smoked in an old Dunhill shell, the MM is a newer Larson Pearl. IF the BSW can be compared to a string quartet, the MM is best compared to a string Octet. The MM is a bit stronger and a bit harsher than the BSW. However, these differences are minimal. If the BSW is a 10, then the MM is a 9.7. The harshness I found may be related to residual ammonia due to the newness of the tobacco. Also, the Virginias and the Latakia may not be the same. The important point is that if you loved BSW, then this is a comparable and worthy successor. I plan to buy several pounds for my cellar.

ADDENDUM 04/11/2007- Having smoked several more bowls of both BSW and MM I think the difference lies in the type of Latakia. BSW probably used Syrian Latakia. Max isn't currently able to obtain Syrian Latakia and probably uses Cyprian. Boy, how this mixture would resemble BSW with the use of Syrian Latakia.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (68)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I'm a committable Balkan and English enthusiast and this being my first foray into Canadian blending house Compton's.

This blend is fantastic and worth every penny of the comparatively high price. A large part of this is due to Canadian bureaucratic nonsense and also Compton's uses tobaccos of the highest standard, indeed it's very apparent.

The high accolades of this being compared to the famed Balkan Sobranie White are not amiss by any stretch. In fact I would be so bold as to say this blend is superior. It seems deeper and richer to me. It did require some drying time before the first pack, but this is not a fault by any means.

I have the good fortune of having some Sobranie hoarded away to be smoked on special occasions and I've been smoking these back-to-back, off and on. Of course I assume the intentions of Compton's certainly not to replicate Sobranie, but simply to make a great tobacco and they've done so far beyond my expectations. I'm quite looking forward to trying more from the Canucks.

parker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parker (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I hear so much conflicting info about the availability of various tobacco's that i will not attempt to explain what makes this taste and smoke the way it does. I love English and Balkan blends and i cannot imagine it getting much better than this.Fabulous,highly recommended.Matt

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)

Shipped in a foil lined vacuum pouch this is a fine interpretation of the classic English Blend. I find this a flavor ringer for Smokers' Haven “Our Best Blend”, one of my favorites. The blend is a heavy ribbon cut of mostly dark leaf and the pouch aroma is nearly identical to OBB. The flavor is sweet, smoky and tangy – a perfect combination. 9 out of 10 stars.

UPDATE 1/2/14

Forget the cost - this is an outstanding blend. I smoked several bowls of this over the Christmas holiday, and it is worth every shekel. Just an excellent take on the standard Balkan, possibly the best there is. Get some if you can get some! Upgraded to 4 stars

Yep, this is one take on the classic Balkan Sobranie White. I opened a tin of that to compare the two and I thought this one fared very well, even though the Sobranie is a couple of decades old.

This is a nice, creamy balkan-style blend but with that nice sharp burst of flavor that Sobranie white and Dunhill 965 possess. I enjoyed this a little less than 965 (my staple in this genre) but it's still a good smoke. The orientals really sing. My first 3-4 bowls of this were less than stellar but the nuances eventually came through. Ok, it's a costly puff and the cost-to-benefit ratio is dubious when one compares the cost of other premium tobacco blends. But if you're still knocking your head against the wall for the disappearance of Sobranie white, give this stuff a try. I'm an indoor smoker but I just had to put on my jacket and sit on my porch with this one as I watched the leaves fall. Really a great experience!

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

What I coul'd say different from the other pleople...! This is a great tobacco, one of the finest Balkan blends. Rich, smooth, plenty of flavors, complex but at the same time with a very defined sensation. A litle difficult for ligth, and a litle expensive. Best smoked in briar, specially oil cured; in a medium to large pipe; specially with a single malt whisky or a extra old rum; even with a bourbon. Bests and congratulations to Mr. Maxim Engel.

Battling Maxo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Battling Maxo (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is one of the finest tobaccos I have smoked. There is something immediately reminiscent of Balkan Sobranie. I refer to the Original Mixture in the pouches, since that is the only incarnation I have experienced. In my opinion, the similarities are in the beauty of balance and the top quality leaf. Both testify to Mr. Engel's blending/preparation expertise, and are what make Macedonian Mixture, and Compton's other blends, so satisfying.

I don't claim to be an expert, but many of today's "top" tobaccos have left me with various degrees of want, but Compton's delivers.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

what more can be said? it is indeed a wonderfull, intoxicating balkan, of the highest quality. i cannot say if it's the yenidje, as i've never sampled that variety in its pure form or otherwise, but the macedonian leaf present sure gives this blend an incense-like flavour at times. but try it for yourself. there's so much going on here that i could ramble on for hours.

wow!

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)

I write this as I smoke the last bowl of my first 50g pouch from this blender. Sadly this is the only quantity of this truly fine smoke available. I heartily agree with the previous reviews and subsequent high marks for this blend. MM has an intoxicating aroma both in the pouch and smoked. The selection of highest grade leaf if evident in every puff. This tobacco is of perfect moisture content, packs and lights easily, stays lit, and burns perfectly to grey ash. The smoking experience is, IMHO, quite perfect indeed. That said, at $140/lb (15.50/50gm +S&H) it is the most expensive smoke I've found, and many other fine English/Orientals stand up nicely for much less. I'm not sure I'll order more, but I would welcome this as a gift. 3/4 stars, a point deduction for strictly financial considerations.

Addendum: 100-150g foil "hermetically sealed" packaging is now available, and at a slightly discounted cost. I have to upgrade to 4 stars. This is great stuff (but still very expensive)

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (68)

The Compton's blends by pipes2smoke.com are beyond compare. They remind me of the old Rattray, Sobranie, Cotton blends. They taste totaly natural and unprocessed. The smoke is clean, flavorfull and aromatic. The Macedonian reminds me greatly of Sobranie White. It had been so long I nearly could not figure out tobacco it tasted like. There would have been tears of joy if not for the fact that.....ok there were. I highly recomend Macedonian, as well as the other English mixtures, especially Reserve 21. Outstanding!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

More from Comptons (pipes2smoke by Max).

Wow! Max told us about the campaign he had to engage in to win the tobacco source for this blend -- and Yenidje of old is its star in my opinion.

This is certainly on the full side but a medium Balkan or a full English Oriental is the result.

A Virginia base, adequate latakia, and the prodigal's son of tabak leaf -- Yenidje, Yenidje, Yendije -- has returned.

Compton's dose of this fine Turkish leaf is somewhat bolder than in Master Pease's many Oriental mixes, but that makes this blend a class act by itself. Few can stand upright in comparison to Pease, and this one jumps for joy.

I huff and sniff the pouch as I write. I have missed this quality and quantity of fine Turkish leaf for maybe 20 years. And this blend despite the abundant dose of Turkiah is not hot or harsh at all, likely due to the Latakia and dark Virginias used. But full.

I does remind me a lot of old Balkan Sobranie I think white label -- the one with the oriental leaf (not the full Balkan one with lots of blue mountain Latakia), but it is a tad fuller than the oriental one. But similar enough, true quality, and Turkish galore.

Highly recommend to English and Oriental fans. Wow!

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

MM clearly has something different going for it than many other tobaccos out there today. It actually does come off as stronger, old-fashioned (and I mean that in a good way) English blend. Maxim must have good source tobaccos to blend together something this rich.

MM comes in a high quality pouch similar to those used by Iwan Ries which does an excellent job of keeping the tobacco moist. My pouch has been open for over two years yet the tobacco is still moist and ready to smoke. I'd say it improved significantly over the last two years, being a bit harsh at the outset but it has settled down to a rich Oriental smoothness. I'd love to see it in a tin for better long term aging.

The base is dark Virginia with Yenidje, Latakia and other unidentified Orientals. The taste is balanced, the burn fine. One can only imagine what the original tasted like decades ago but Maxim has established himself as a first blender with the Comptons series. Recommended.

sounds7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sounds7 (16)

I must say that this is far better than the Balkan Sobranie Original mixture that I have cellared. But that may be because the BSW is of more recent vintage(In the pouch) . The Macedonian Mixture is not as bloated as BSW and has more subtle hints of Yenidje than does BSW. This is a smooth a pleasant tasting Balkan especially in a small bowl and smoked with slow steady puffs. This is likely to become my mainstay tobacco because I like it better than the Balkan Sasieni and the other Balkans which I smoke from time to time. The one set back is it is a bit expensive and is not commonly found at your local tobacconist. It must be ordered via the internet at pipes2smoke.com

This is a high quality blend which as others have pointed out, Yenidje is clearly the star of the show. If find it a step above 3 Oaks in the taste department . The high quality leaf behaves well in the pipe and I find it smokes best on the dry side. This blend loses a star for me in that it is nearly impossible to get and is somewhat overpriced. 524, a very similar offering from Pipeworks & Wilke has taken it's place in my rotation. Recommended.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

At first I would like to thank Salan that ordered this tobacco for me. I also thank Salan because this gave me the possibility to smoke this very beautiful and balanced Balkan.

Comptons makes masterpieces after all. Cool, pleasant, dry with rich flavor and ready to smoke immediately after opened. Virginia, Latakia, Yenidje are the components of this mix that is smoked dry up to the end maintaining its flavor all the way to the end. Mediocre up to high in nicotine content. It leaves a slight bitterness in the end of the bowl, but this to me is not a problem. I don't compare it with Balkan Sobranie, because I consider MMC a much better tobacco.

I don't know what makes it much special (perhaps Yenidje) but certain moments of day or night I can't seem to have enough of this particular tobacco.