Full bodied and full flavor - a deeply complex English, but with a smooth and mild base of Latakia along with toasted Virginias. J.M. had blended Northwoods for himself to smoke, but then the customers started asking him what he was smoking and his answer was "have a bowl". Northwoods has become one of our most popular English blends.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.6
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first experience with Boswells was purchasing a much coveted pipe which came with a complementary 2oz sample of Northwoods. I was somewhat skeptical of this mixture as my taste in latakia blends lies somewhere slightly south of the heavy hitters, but not too far from the richest of mixtures. When I pine for a sweeter smoke I reach for a nice matured Virginia and generally stay away from aromatics and for that matter most blends containing cavendish. Nonetheless, due to the many positive reviews here, I was eager to give this a shot.

My sample was fairly moist and probably could have used a few hours dry time. The initial aroma from the bag was very sweet and dominated by that heavily cased Cavendish aroma with latakia playing second fiddle. I left the bag open for a spell and on second inspection the aroma was simply delightful. It reminded me of a great molasses based Missouri BBQ sauce, something like Show Me Liquid Smoke from Columbus. The tobacco was clearly high quality with broken red Virginia flakes mixed in with deeply pungent latakia and a moist cavendish that looked like rich high- grade compost. With no dry time, I packed a bowl in one of my largest pipes and went out to my patio in hopes of a flavorful smoke.

On first light the latakia played a much more assertive role that I thought it would. The Virginia and Cavendish components where quite subdued and at that point I thought I was in for a slight variation of a standard fair, albeit from the start a flavorful one. This perception changed big time near the half-way point when what came forth was a barrage of complex smoky/sweet nuanced spice flavors that one will not easily find in any standard latakia mixture. At that point all my reservations with this blend were squelched. Moreover, I was quite pleased with the cavendish component which rounded out the flavor nicely while only imparting a subtle influence on the overall experience. This is one very satisfying smoke, mild in strength, yet fairly substantial in flavor.

Unlike other reviewers, I had very little trouble keeping this stuff lit straight out of the bag. It burned evenly and fairly cool but is quite capable of biting if you don't take it slow. Expect a little goop on the bottom of your pipe, but not too much. Some dry time would easily rectify this issue.

Altogether Northwoods is a great mixture. If you're shopping for something unique to try, this hybrid anomaly of a blend deserves your attention. It's definitely made my current rotation.

Update 11/26/12 - Upon revisiting this blend I find it to be a tad too sweet for my liking. Perhaps my tastes have changed a bit. I have since given away the rest of my stash of Northwoods to another piper interested in exploring Latakia mixtures. Nonetheless, still very much recommended.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (37)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first light up Northwoods, the first flavors that come to mind are, earthy, smoky and slightly sweet. It comes a little to moist for me, so I do dry it a little. As English smokes go, it is mild to medium and it doesn’t build up a lot of strength along the way. The flavor is pretty constant throughout the smoke too. I don’t care for very strong English blends and this is very smooth and not too strong compared to others I have tried. I love the slight sweetness it leaves in my mouth afterward. I have no idea why some would compare this to pine as I don't taste any of that at all. It makes me wonder if people just think that because of the name?? Northwoods is one of this pipe girl’s favorite English blends!

The Cyprian latakia is smokey, woody sweet. The black cavendish adds a fair amount of creamy smooth sweetness, though the vanilla notes are mild. The BC is as prominent as the latakia, and sometimes dominates the latter. The Virginia stays in the background, and is grassy, citrusy with a bare dark fruit essence, and slightly toasty. At times, I detect a light syrupy hit. It's at the borderline of being a full blown aromatic English, though I can see why some think it's more than that. Will need some dry time. Burns slow and requires relights, and will leave a little moisture in the bowl. Has a mild nic-hit and won;t bite. The flavor is consistent all the way to the finish. A straight forward smoke with little complexity, but a nice sweetness. Could be an all day smoke depending on your taste for this kind of blend. Two and half stars.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, well. I'm about to do something I never imagined that I would someday be doing: I'm about to give four stars to a full-on English-aromatic crossover blend. That's right - I'm about to favorably compare Boswell's Northwoods to perennial faves like Odyssey, Abingdon, Larry's Blend, etc.

This is my first Boswell's blend. I never tried Boswell's before because they are primarily known for their traditional American aromatics, a genre I don't smoke very much of. Anyway, after coming across a zillion positive reviews for Northwoods, I ordered a few ounces with the attitude that, if I didn't like it, I could certainly find something to mix it with. Upon arrival, this ribbon-cut blend looked, felt and smelled like a heavy, goopy mess of Latakia and black cavendish, with maybe a few stray strands of Va mixed in for color. I loaded up a meer with some trepidation and got ready for .... well, not what I ultimately got, let me tell you.

Northwoods starts out pretty much as expected: a blast of pure latakia and cavendish-based sweetness. No subtlety here! I smoked a few minutes, enjoying the base flavors but disliking the muted but obvious aftertaste of what appears to be some kind of preservative or chemical casing (a slightly oily, almost plastic flavor that dances around the edge of the smoke in tandem with blasts of sweetness). The bowl started to heat up at the 15-minute mark, so I let it go out, fixed another drink and waited for it cool off. When I relit ...WAM!

At about a third of the way down, this blend morphs into a woodsy, spicy, COMPLEX mixture that immediately conjured up memories of some of my favorite Balkans. There are no orientals listed in the ingredients, so I can only surmise that this delicious spice comes from the Vas or even the Lat itself. (I wonder if the Vas are perhaps being gently stoved as the bowl burns down?) No matter -- as the bowl progressed, this delicious melange of incense-like flavors intensified, especially with relights. I even enjoyed smelling the smoke as it burned, and my wife didn't seem bothered at all by the room note. I've ever experienced anything like this in an crossover blend, and I've tried a LOT of them.

In summary, I'd describe this stuff as what might happen if Frog Morton stopped swilling chocolate syrup, went on an all-steroid diet and bought a gym membership. Put another way: This stuff is vaguely reminiscent of McClelland's lat offerings (British Woods, the FM series, and Legends) in terms of flavor but, where McClelland's mixtures are almost always on the mild side of the spectrum, Northoods is definitely on the stronger end. I am reluctant to place Northwoods in quite the same category as Pease's best Balkans or English blends (it's not THAT complex, as there are no orientals or even perique) but the bottom line is that I enjoy it as much as I do my Odyssey. I was absolutely floored by this stuff! I never would have believed these constituent tobaccos could add up to something this tasty or satisfying.

It burns very well, and has never bit my tongue (even when smoked aggressively enough to heat up the bowl). It has enough nicotine to satisfy, more than most traditional Englishes but not enough to scare anybody off. And -- oddly enough -- it tastes almost identical in my meers, briars and cobs! One caveat, however: this stuff really likes larger bowls, so don't even bother loading up a clay. Instead, reach for that giant Danish freehand sitter you haven't touched since discovering Virginia flakes and get ready for nirvana ....

I've smoked through most of my 4-ounce sample in a variety of pipes and I'm about to pull the triggr on a few pounds. The only negative I've identified -- and this is a BIG negative to many smokers -- is the aforementioned chemical aftertaste. I've encountered it before in blends like Shortcut to Mushrooms, 1-Q, etc., so I believe it to either be PG or something that's added to the black cavendish. It's annoying, and I still don't like it, but this blend's flavor and temperament simply overwhelms my traditional preference for more naturalistic English blends. I can, however, definitely envision some English or Balkan fans not being able to overlook it.

YMMV, of course.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend sent me a small pouch to try as he recently purchased some. I'd say this is somewhere in flavor and strength between Perfection and Frog Morton. It is a very very mild smoke in terms of harshness. But very full in flavor. Well done Boswells.

Not a hint of bite. Can be puffed through like crazy. I was just thinking to myself before lighting up that it matters little how well this smokes because I'll probably never be willing to put myself through the trouble of ordering from Boswells (I live overseas). But this might make me rethink that.

Great moisture. Great flavor. Great smooth Latakia luxury. I'm a fan. Wonderful.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Pony Express

Purchased From: Boswells via friend

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Northwoods is a good "cross over" English blend (think Frog Morton on the Town). It is sweet and while in my opinion not an aromatic, it does have some aromatic qualities. Northwoods is a great offering for those looking to move from aro's into English blends. It arrives a bit too moist and is best smoked after some dry time. Smokers of full bodied or more complex English blends like Nightcap or Westminster may want to pass on this one. If you are a fan of mild, sweet and straightforward English blends, this should be on your must try list.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Northwoods is a lightly aromatic English Blend in the Boswell tradition of enhancements in their blends. I found it to be very similar to Iwan Ries Gourmet English in that there was an added sweetness, yet the combination of the enhancement in the Black Cavendish played well with the Latakia. I can see why it is a very popular Boswell blend. I liked it a lot!

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

Slight fragrance of campfire in the jar. A bit moist so I spread some out to dry for a few minutes. It took a couple of relights, but once I got it going it stayed lit fairly well and there were gobs and gobs of creamy, cool, dry smoke. A large bowl lasted a full hour. It has a subtle, natural tasting sweetness but no casing or flavorings that I detect, and not overpowering at all. This one just tastes like tobacco - high quality tobacco.

Another factor in this blend's favor is it's availability.

Update 11/5/2012: still a great blend but falling behind more distinctive blends for me that don't seem to have the humectant this one does. Revising to 3 stars.

ADz Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ADz Pipes (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My go to English, for me the best smoky, Latakia blend around, nothing comes close, well not much, love the sweetness that is not overpowering, it is smooth, flavoursome and never bites, its just a grand smoke, I could smoke it and nothing else to be honest.

If I don't have any in stock, I get edgy. Most I have let sample it, love it, originally suggested to me by the infamous OMS (One Man Smoke) and oddly enough, at that time, some years back, I hated it, left it to store, my pallet changed from aromatics (but I still love my aros) and now would not be without this superb blend.

Pipe Used: Dagner brandy nosewarmer, Petersons Aran B5

Age When Smoked: 55

Purchased From: Boswells

Similar Blends: Ashtons Artisans blend.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Extremely Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

Excellent service from Dan and his staff, great folks and thank you.

Although there's a sweet cavendish aromatic which I tend to stay away from it works a treat in this blend which has a great buttery smooth mouthfeel. The room note is one of the best, aromas of High Mass Frankincense when the aromatic and Latakia combine.

This blend is English/Latakia forward and quite full with some aromatic, I would not say it's a true crossover although by definition it is. Not an overly complex blend there are some nice notes on the retrohale and the creamy rich smooth mouthfeel is just great. I also like the slow burning properties which it has, never any bite and it does not tire my palate out, consecutive bowls can be enjoyed anytime of the day or evening and it has enough power to enjoyed as a nightcap after an evening of Scotch and cigars.

Highly recommended and a nice change of pace; Latakia with a twist and cellar worthy.

Raleigh Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raleigh Dan (2)

I recently received a generous sample of this from an acquaintance at a pipe meet up here in Raleigh. He’d ordered his second pipe from Boswell and got a complementary pouch of Northwoods with it. I was very impressed by the pipe, and with Boswell sending their blend along with the pipe. Classy move Boswell!

I’m not sure whether this tobacco was stoved or aired-out prior to my getting hold of it. I’m assuming it was as it came from Boswell because it was still fairly moist. That being said, it smoked great and I would not do anything to it. Nice cool, dry smoke, no bite, clean white ash when finished and no doddle.

I’ve been smoking this in a Falcon and I was surprised at how little residue I found in the base of the pipe.

I don’t get any of the “pine” taste that a few reviewers mentioned. The Latakia has the expected campfire smoke flavor, but it’s by no means piney. I get more of a pleasant moss and oak flavor, which was pleasingly consistent throughout the whole bowl. Northwoods reminds me a lot of the Frog Morton’s blends (some of my favorites). The Black Cavendish is a great little condiment in this blend. The Virginia gives a subtle sweetness which was pleasant and keeps the blend smoking with little need for relighting.

I could see this being an all day smoker and intend to order up a few ounces very soon!

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: Boswell

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series).

Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Northwoods is Creamy, full but not too strong I think Pipeworks & Wilke 400 is similar but 400 has a little more strength but equal in fullness. Northwoods has a natural Toasted Marshmallow taste while smoking and smell from the pipe after smoking.

Pipe Used: Boswell Jumbo X

Piping Padre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piping Padre (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

There are few latakia blends that really sing to me, but this is one of them. It comes through as camp fire smokey from the char light. It seems to get sweeter as one smokes through the bowl. That sweetness comes in juicy bursts which keeps the smoke interesting. It never gets rough and never bites. Moisture content is just a little wetter than I like, but then it keeps the smoke from getting too hot. I just love this blend and ordered more today as I smoked through my sample bag in no time.

Pipe Used: Boswell Squat Tomato

Age When Smoked: Right out of the bag

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Northwoods was one of the first tobaccos I had tried and I was hooked right up front on it - thought it was a great smoke. It has been on my favorites list for some time although I never put together a review on it. I did so purposely as I didn't feel I had enough blends (English) and varying blends under my belt and wanted to be sure before I touted this one I wasn't doing so without some foundation. Now with a 100 plus blends under my belt I can say this blend stands the test of time and is a great blend. It has a great balance. The Latakia has its place perfectly centered and is surrounded by a great combination of well balanced tobaccos. I am not going get into the proper english, American english, whether it has some topping or not, I am going judge it for what it certainly is, a masterful blend by Boswell's. I find no deficiency in it and I do not grow tired of it like I can of so many others. This blend is not a flash in the pan blend, it's consistent and always enjoyable. I would recommend this blend to anybody, to include the haters who just like to chop down some of the other great blends out there. If you look for what's not there you can always find fault, if you enjoy what is before you, you can savor what you have. This is truly one to savor.

Pipe Used: bjarne, rossi, la strada, red point

Age When Smoked: new, 6 mos, 1 yr

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)

First of all I am an aromatic smoker, but decided to give this good English a try. The tobacco smell was of a good wood burning campfire. I really liked this smell. The tobacco was easy to work with and light and keep lit I didn't dry it out. The taste of this tobacco is almost like a good BBQ with pine infused wood. I really actually loved that just could picture myself smoking this at a cookout in the summer. The room note wasn't bad either nothing over bearing especially with this blend having Latakia so no real lat bomb from this blend which is good. Overall this is a great English blend I really enjoyed this as my first English and I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good tobacco smoke. This will be in my regular rotation.

cavendishes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cavendishes (7)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

The good:

This blend packs easily, burns slow and cool, does not bite at all, and has a fantastic room note.

The not so good:

This blend seems to be topped with PG, and will require countless relights if not allowed to dry considerably before smoking. It is extremely mild both in flavor and nicotene, and is very one dimensional, at least in a small bowled pipe. Rather than building in intensity, it seems to get milder throughout the bowl. I was expecting a much fuller flavor based on the descriptions I have read. In my experience with this blend, the Cavendish dominates the blend to the point of muting the other flavors. The Aromatic topping or casing, that to me tastes like Vanilla, is the prominent flavor.

For this reason , I would classify this blend as an aromatic rather than a proper English. If you are expecting a full English like I was, you may be disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, this blend has it's own thing going and is good in its own way, but it is in no way a full English blend, at least in my experience. I can see this being a good choice for me on certain occasions, but it is not really what I was expecting.

Bottom line, if you like aromatics, you might like this blend a lot, however, if you're expecting a full English, this will let you down.

Just my 2¢.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Billiard

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is simply wonderful in my opinion. I am a huge fan of Frog Morton Cellar and I believe that this blend is even better than that, but it tastes quite similar to it with regards to its smoky room note. I tend to enjoy tobacco's on the milder side, but occasionally I will smoke something a bit earthier like G.L. Pease Gaslight or Mississippi River just to give you an idea of my palate.

Immediately when you open the bag you are met with a pleasing note that reminds you of a smokey Northwoods campfire and I must say that upon lighting up the tobacco I have felt greeted with the same good, solid northern campfire smell. Very pleasing to me and others around me from what I've heard. I was here a little bit hesitant to take the plunge because it had bragged up a bunch everywhere I looked, but I must say that it is simply phenomenal! Truly it is....

The tobacco appears to be great quality and burns very nicely. I have not tasted any ashy like flavors at any point while I have smoked the blend from beginning to end. Each time I am met with a smooth, dry smoke that takes some time to work through. I give it an A+ and it will definitely be in my weekly smoking collection. I only wish that it was somewhat cheaper. $4.25 an ounce plus shipping can get to be pretty expensive.

Pipe Used: Peterson 313 and 307

Age When Smoked: Immediately upon receipt and 1 month or so

Purchased From: Boswell

Similar Blends: Frog Morton Cellar.

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (21)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My favorite Boswells blend. Unique in that the two main components are black cavendish and latakia. The latakia is upfront but not overpowering. A sweet blend with a slight hint of the casing that is used. I definitely do not get the pine flavor people are talking about. A smooth all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Boswell's Poker

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Pouch note has a high sweet incense/purfume note with some smokiness.

Upon char and initial draw, I'm getting a lot of sweetness. The majority of tobaccos in this style I've sampled sofar are what I would phrase "like a dry wine", but this is a tawny port... rich, complex, and sweet.

As the bowl progresses, I'm able to pick out a little mustiness, some of the familiar "bread and spice" characters I typically associate with the style. The purfume/incense lingers and melds well with the spice - something earthy and pungent like caraway or cumin, with a more nutty and subdued spice like coriander. The whole thing tastes quite exotic, and it's almost like every component steps out for a puff, introduces itself, then gets out of the way for the next flavor component to make itself known.

Like the total newbie I am, emboldened by this complexity I started puffing a bit aggressively and started to get a mild ammoniated taste (although no bite) so I backed down and sure enough, that off-flavor disappeared quickly.

I found it very interesting how a little Cavendish can change an English style so much. Not to mention, how totally different a really well done Cavendish used as a condiment, is compared to a Cavendish based blend.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (11)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not enough stars available to rate this one. This is a smooth and creamy Cav/Lat/Virg blend that will just knock your socks off in a good way. Nicotine is not overwhelming, and the Latakia is smooth and woodsy and nicely combined with the sweetness of the virginia and cavendish. I don't have any idea where people get the idea that this is like smoking an evergreen incense stick laced with pine needles. Maybe this is a preconceived notion of suggestion based on the name given to this blend with the title North Woods conjuring up images of pine scented candles at Christmastime. I do not sense this at all, nor do I feel it has a chemically after taste. To me this is a superb Five star Va/Lat blend that will always have a spot in my cellar.

DocGuinness Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DocGuinness (10)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

First off, I'm primarily an aromatic smoker. But I was wanting something different and decided to venture into the non-aromatic arena. I reviewed alot of tobaccos before purchasing and Boswell's Northwoods seemed to be a good choice. So, I decided to buy a couple of ounces to give it a try, along with the new Boswell pipe I ordered.

I was impressed. This could quite possibly be the blend that opens the door for me into English tobaccos. I've had a couple of blends that were heavy on Latakia for my taste ( but are 5 star blends by many other reviewers ). I didn't get that from Northwoods.

And since I smoked this in a new pipe, I didn't get any residual side effects from the aromatics i smoke.

Indeed it is noticeable, but it's not overpowering. For someone who likes aromatics, this is an English blend that I will be smoking and ordering more of. Very impressed and a nice change of pace. Highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Briar

Purchased From: http://boswellpipes.com

Similar Blends: Boswell's Countryside, Wilke Tobacco Bestmake.

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (36)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like this blend. My smoking tastes have become quite varied in these latter years. I've been mostly an Aro & Flakes guy but nowadays I'm developing a taste for the English & American-English blends. I would classify this one more as the latter ... well HECK if for no other reason it's blended in the good ole US of A! In my opinion, the Black Cavendish marries well with the Latakia to produce a cool, slightly sweet, woodsy & flavorable smoke that doesn't bite. Better yet, for me personally this blend doesn't dry out my throat & mouth as do some Englishes. IMO ... this could very well be an all day smoke. Additionally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Boswells is a fine establishment to patronize. Not many brick & mortar pipe tobacco shops around anymore ... I hope someday I'll get a chance to drop in while passing thru PA.

Pipe Used: Briars (Canadians, Lovats, & Billiards)

Age When Smoked: Fresh & Aged Several Months

Purchased From: Boswell Pipe Shop (online)

bojangle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bojangle (7)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Needs to be smoked in a tall chambered pipe as the Latakia is way more muted in a smaller pipe. Wider-chamber pipes will cause this blend to be more airy and will mute all the flavours.

It's a mild English in terms of flavour and I personally don't notice any nicotine.

Smooth smoke, and definitely smooth on the retro-hale. Best smoked with a retro-hale thrown in every once and a while for extra flavour pick-up.

It tastes a lot like frog Morton's cellar, though it's not tangy and, of course, the whiskey notes aren't there.

Northwoods has a pine needle and cedar sort of taste + sweetness. The latakia is in the background and gives it a woody flavour, which only compliments the pine/cedar sweetness.

Summary: northwoods is mild, smooth and unique English and definitely as good if not better than the Mclelland's FM series.

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the tin.

Purchased From: Boswells

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton's Cellar (Craftsbury Series), Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - CountrySide, McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series), McClelland - Frog Morton on the Bayou (Craftsbury Series).

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

So good! I'm new to pipe smoking and smoked a couple of aromatics before trying Frog Morton on the log. Really enjoyed that, so on my first Boswell's order, i ordered a bunch of their famous aros and Northwoods. LOVE Northwoods. Smokey flavour, but smooth and cool. Really well blended - it is great from beginning of the bowl to the end. Also very light in nicotine, which I personally prefer. Tried it in a brand new corncob pipe and just loved it.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum eaton

Purchased From: JM Boswells

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Northwoods is a blend that is unique in its flavor profile and sort of defies categorization for this smoker. Cut of the tobacco features lots of large black pieces mixed with smaller pieces of what I assume is the Va component.

A little air time is necessary as I find too moist. Medium to large size pipes preferred. Thicker cut allows this to burn well outside for me.

The Latakia flavor is very much just a smoky undertone in this blend that is really softened and rounded by the sweetness of the Va and Cavendish components. Mid Bowl like sweet and spicy BBQ sauce as I believe another reviewer mentioned.

I'd hesitate to call this an aromatic simply because it has highly sweet aspects to me. I also hesitate to compare this to compare this to other English blends as I find the Latakia component to be robust , but not full spectrum. Northwoods is a great blend that equals more than the sum of its parts. The flavors jive and mix well. It is not super complex, but it is full and satisfying. It does not require your complete concentration to derive enjoyment.

It really captures a vibe that others have mentioned. It is like that autumn time where the sweet smells of summer still mix with the notes of leaves changing color, and nights are getting chilly. In summary, one to keep in my rotation. A great outdoor tobacco for the cooler months. Not one I'm gonna reach for all the time, but recommended.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

WOW. As one of my few foray's into "English" style blends, I have to say that this one was very enjoyable. I don't get the incence flavour or smell that others have noted. I get a pine smell with hints of earthy mushroom. And as the name suggests woodsiness. I associate a lot of my memories and nostalgia with the tobacco smells. Growing up in Northern Ontario, aromatics bring me right back to the local bar where my Grandfather would spend his time with his old Bush Pilot crew. This one brought me right out to the forest and the woods of Northern Ontario where I grew up. I'm an aromatic lover and take the odd step into stronger English blends occasionally and this one is a winner for me.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Sampled this tobacco in my one and only Boswell (at the time it was my one and only). Not sure I can say what hasn't already been said. Love this 'woodsy' and 'creamy' blend...it's the best way to describe it, 'woodsy'. Very delicious! The smoke is silky smooth and creamy with a very deep and rich campfire type attribute with almost a hint of citrus/floral, probably from the latakia. I will be ordering more (and have since the original review). Top notch stuff!

On another note, The Boswell's, hands down, have the best customer service I have experienced yet in the pipe world. I will be a life-long customer of theirs due to my experience with purchasing a pipe and tobacco from them!! Not to mention how well the pipe's I've purchased smoke and how how excellent their tobaccos are!

Pipe Used: Boswell Egg

Age When Smoked: Fresh from store - 1-2 years

Purchased From: http://www.boswellpipes.com/

Similar Blends: Esoterica Tobacciana - Margate, G. L. Pease - Westminster (Heirloom Collection), G. L. Pease - Gaslight (Old London Series).

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (22)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This was my first encounter with Latakia. The name "Norhtwoods" was inticing so I figured what the heck. I was impressed from the start. The first impression I got after lighting up was that it smells like incense from church. I loved sitting in a lawn chair on my porch as cold fronts blew through, nestled in my warm metis capote and smoking a bowl of Northwoods through a corn cob.Can't wait for those days to return! The latakia in this blend is just right for my taste and though not as bold as my Brebbia Latakia #9 I give this a slight edge. My everday smoke, and a great cold weather puff.Recommended and a good intro to English blends.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I just realized that readers, while hopefully taking everything not only that I write but what every other reviewer writes with a grain of salt (opinions being what they are!), they should take special note of my grading in the Room Note category. I'm not married and I grade this not on how others feel but how I feel about the room note. :) This one smells good!

This is a very nice heavy English blend. I know that Dunill Nightcap, another heavy english, has a large following but I have to say that, for me, this Boswell blend succeeded where Nightcap failed. It's a full flavored blend with a harmonious exchange between the latakia and the other tobaccos. Everything melded very well and the flavor was sharper, not dulled by the "infighting" I find with Nightcap.

As others have mentioned, there was a nice sweetness amidst its very masculine powerful taste. This may be an offensive lineman of a blend but it can also put on a tux and act refined and elegant. If you like a lot of latakia flavor but don't want your tongue melted and confused, try this one. Boswell really nailed what I believe they were going after. So why 3 stars instead of 4? Well, what I think they were trying to achieve is not "quite" what I seek in a blend. Durn close, though! But not close enough to replace the main English blends in my rotation. On the other hand, I'll be buying more of this, albeit in smaller batches.

Mofrackey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mofrackey (6)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is extremely over rated. Or I received a horrible batch. When I received this tobacco 2 years ago I couldn't wait to pack it into my favorite pipe. I was disappointed to say the least. This tobacco is almost like someone took frog Morton and put plastic flavor casing on it. It was disgusting. Not wanting to chuck it I jared it and just opened it after 2 years. The plastic taste is not ad bad but still there. Plastic is about the best I can describe it. And it's so noticeable the blend is awful. By plastic I mean the way new plastic smells. Just don't understand how ppl have all these great reviews. I must have gotten a junk batch.

Pipe Used: Many different

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 2 years

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Mild None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Wow what a wonderful English blend. This is at the top of my English list. Tons of sweet wood smoke flavor and the room note is a camp fire burning lightly. I simply cant get enough of this blend. To shake things up from time to time I will mix a bit with Frog Morton. This has very little nicotine hit and billows of thick sweet smelling smoke. Some folks compare to Frog Morton Celler. They are sadly mistaken. Very different taste altogether. Northwoods is for those who love a sweet woodsy smoky flavor and nothing else. This is not a super complex blend but is right down my alley. Burns cool if you sip it and burns to the bottom of the bowl with a nice white ash. This is not to be puffed but sipped slowly. Puffers will not care for this blend and the heat from the bowl will kill most of the flavor.

Pipe Used: Alberto Bonfiglioli freehand

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the tin! And some aged

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (45)

I'm by no means downing this blend because it is good, but I don't see how at all this would be a good substitute for Nightcap. The pungent aroma is not there, the nicotine is not there, and the full robust flavor of campfires, earth, mushrooms and overall complexity is not there.

The tobacco used to blend Northwoods is McClelland all the way. It has all the characteristics of almost every McClelland English blend, mild, sweet, creamy and a decent amount of smokiness. But is not complex. Just straight forward mild English.

For the price in my opinion, it's not worth it buying over McClelland blends. It's way too much like 5110, frog Morton or all the other blends.

If you want to try it then go ahead and experience it. You just may love it like a lot of people have. Hell people love it so much they buy it by the pound. But before I ever buy anymore, I'll just get McClelland.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the best Latakia blends I've had to date. I got this as a sample in a trade, so I've only had two of three bowls to make my conclusions. However, I think by this point my taste is developed enough to make pretty quick assessments.

Out of the bag this blend smells like most blends with even so much as a whisper of Latakia. Campfire. Dark, smoky campfire. The other tobaccos in this blend are detectable if almost indiscernibly so.

The flavor, again as is typical for many Latakia blends, tones down the Latakia considerably. The basic taste underlying the blend is similar to Boswell's Cherry Smash, only with the cherry being replaced by a savory smokiness. It's a pretty straightforward taste, consisting mainly of a sweetness from the Cavendish, some (but not much) Virginia, and a prevailing smokiness from the Latakia.

This blend can be excellent either for an experienced smoker, or somebody who is looking into Latakia blends but doesn't want a Latakia bomb.

On a personal note I probably wouldn't consider this an English, rather a Latakia blend. Still darned good baccy!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I cant add anything here that hasn't been said. Northwoods has a intoxicating tin note, one that even my wife likes (and she hates everything, even most aromatics), and is just a well behaved blend that is a true joy to smoke. You will not unravel the mysteries of the universe with this blend, but you will have a great time just enjoying it for what it is, a good smoke.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Boswells

Similar Blends: Frog Morton.

Freypiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Freypiper (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you enjoy latakia blends, do yourself a favor and buy this tobacco! This is a wonderful smoke full of creamy sweetness. My wife loves the room note, but i have found that she does enjoy the smell of most latakia blends in general. Nicotine is mild with this blend as well. Buy it, smoke it, enjoy it!

robinbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robinbj (10)

Hearty American blended english. latakia lovers rejoice, its well balanced and zesty! No PG, no TopCasing, just straight forward delicious smoke.

pick up an ounce or two, it will be sure to please

Pipe Used: any..they all love Northwoods

Age When Smoked: New to 8yr

Purchased From: Boswells.com

Similar Blends: Railroad but a bit yummier.

LuntingCelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LuntingCelt (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

This is one of the best english blends you can buy, in my opinion. It has smoke reminiscent of a well-seasoned, charcoal barbecued steak. Seriously. The smoke is bold and punchy. Savory notes all the way through the smoke. It lights easy and stays lit. It has a tacky feel in the hand, but is not wet.

sagepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagepipe (13)

This tobacco can certainly compete with some of the most popular English blends. It has a medium to full taste with a smooth finish. I am always skeptical of tobacconist blends but the Boswell family are masters of pipe making and have convinced me they are experts in blending this excellent smoke.

Pipe Used: Boswell

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Northwoods is a medium/mild English blend. Nice smokey flavor from Latakia but still allows the Va's to be noticed. Many other reviwers suggest this tobacco is cased but I can't detect it. This blend is nutty/sweet and well balanced. The room note is what I consider a campfire like aroma and is pleasant as it difuses in the air.

Pipe Used: biars and cobs dedicated to this type of blend

Aquinas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aquinas (12)

A unique approach to an English misture with the addition of a cavendish. An enjoyable smoke that retains it's flavor throughout. I personally enjoy it with a nice cold glass of Riesling and smoked slowly in a fine pipe. The only reason I will not continue smoking this is due to the fact that at $68 a pound plus shipping I cannot justify the expense. The Boswell's are great people to deal with an I have not found any of their other tobaccos I would consider bad

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell

Age When Smoked: Upon receipt

all.day.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
all.day.smoker (7)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Hmmm.... I think this blend is almost better than Frog Morton. The Aroma is amazing. It may sound weired but i thought, i'm smoking a pine tree. Don't get me wrong, it's very intense but even more delicious. No tonguebite whatsoever, but hey it's a Boswell blend, what did you expect?!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Vauen Solitaire billard size 5-6

Purchased From: J.M. Boswell

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Christmas in a bowl!

No wonder this gets some high praise, its worth it all.

Firstly, there must be way more ingredients in here than what is shown. Either that or extensive flavoring. There is a lot going on here,

Smoky, woody and rich lat in a good dose, sweet Cavendish and earthy sweet VA, and then a casing or top note that can only be described as pine trees and Christmas! Its a crossover in my book, not an English, has a very good English presence on its own and then this earthy, warm and festive casing comes up out of nowhere and shines through.

A delightful winter experience, really gets me in the mood for the festive season.

Easy a 4-star, truly special.

Gus Evening Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus Evening (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice aromatic English blend. If you smoke aromatics and want to delve into English, this is a good cross over blend. Not really my cup of tea, the Cavendish sweetness is too strong in my opinion. I get a chemical type note especially if puffed too hard. I also got some tongue bite. Nicotine is not very strong.

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton's Cellar (Craftsbury Series), McClelland - Frog Morton across the Pond (Craftsbury Series), Peter Stokkebye - English Oriental Supreme (No.306), Esoterica Tobacciana - And So To Bed.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

I just finished my first bowl of this a few minutes ago and I must say that this is some good stuff! In many ways it reminds me of Frog Morton. The tin note is similar, the course ribbon cut is about the same, a little chunky. It's not quite as sweet as Frog Morton is. It has a little more of a nicotine kick to it but not too much, it's no Nightcap. Considering I absolutely love Frog Morton it's no mystery that I also love this blend too. It would be hard for me to pick one over the other at the moment. Plain and simple THIS BLEND IS DAMN GOOD! If you like Latakia blends that are super smooth this is for you. Retro-hailing is no problem with this one, just enjoy the sweet smokey taste as it fills the senses. This blend is good for the seasoned veteran and the newbies as well. Come one come all, to the Northwoods :)

Pipe Used: Savinelli Fuoco 315 KS

Purchased From: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton.

matthieuduquette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matthieuduquette (12)

Northwoods is thus far my favorite English blend. Though I am somewhat limited in my experience. With only about four English blends having been sampled.

In the bag. Northwoods smells like a mix of tanned leather and burning evergreen. I could imagine this smell emanating from a barbecue pit. Very bold, smokey scent. With a touch of sweet and sourness that salivates your mouth as you pull the aromas through your olfactory. A richly dark blend of what looks to be about half black cavendish, nearly half maybe red Virginia, and I would guess about ten percent Latakia.

In the pipe. Northwoods is a fairly mild smoke. I would consider it an introductory English for those getting into the experience. An all around good smokey flavor with luscious, billowy plumes of smoke with every puff. Then a touch of sour on the back of your palette with a paced smoke. It will bite you and get a little harshly sour if you rush it. Yet it can handle a fairly steady pace without getting to overpowering. Dry smoking and never got too hot, even at the point it got harsh when I was going to quickly. A bowl will likely yield about fifty minutes of smoking which is aces. I did tend to have to relight, however, at about the 3/4 mark which is a minus.

Room Note is smokey and woodsy. Much like the bag smell less the sour. It also has a whisper of sweetness in the end like in the bag.

An outstanding blend all around. Hopefully I can fine tune the tamping so I can resist relights but it is a miner drawback when put up against all the positives. Really like that even with the robust smoke yielded from every draw. Northwoods still is a long smoking experience. Allowing one to really sit back and enjoy the experience for a good long while without a lot of maintenance.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (35)

For all you aroNooBs out there, this might be the one to turn you to the dark side!!! Now what am I going to do with all the aros I've started out with???

Was anxious to try this one. Curious about some of the lesser reviews claiming that this one tasted like pine needles? I've never eaten pine needles myself but it sounds cool so kudos to those of you who have.

I didn't taste any pine needles. I think Northwoods is for those who appreciate tobacco before sugar. I like sugar, I like JMB's aromatics (most of them) but Northwoods is great.

Easy to work with. Lit easily and stayed burning away nicely. Not the room note that the War Department is used to, but she liked it none the less. And it burned cool and I like the smoke it produced.

I'm only a couple months in to the Briar, but I appreciate this tobacco, a lot. Looking forward to Countryside. This one wasn't too strong (which surprised me). The first bowl was really nice. Had the second one with a sweet coffee; holee chow!! Third bowl and I'm sold.

Hey Northern Pipes, I grew up in Northern Ontario too (well, Sudbury, if you consider that north) and grew up sitting on the screened in porch with my grandfather, dad and uncle all smoking great smelling tobaccos.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The Latakia is so so mellow it puts me in a coma. Absolutely loved this English blend. I have had it in the cellar for two years and now enjoying 1-2 pipes a day. Do yourself a favor if you like English blends with a hint of spice. Well done BPT on another fine blend!

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

Wow Northwoods!!! What i can say? Is Top 1. It's a perfect english blend that J.M. Boswell did. Full Body, Long Finish and Complex. For me, to beat this tobacco is hard. try smoke now! 4+** STAR

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)

Update Finished one ounce sample. I need to order more, although i had only a small amount it grew on me with every bowl. I have never experienced the type of spicy characteristics this blend has. Fantastic. I will be ordering more, and i also am looking forward to trying Boswell's other english blends. Was a lot more pleased with northwoods than i was with the two aromatics i chose to sample.

I ordered a one ounce sample of this blend along with a couple one ounce samplers of some Boswell aromatics.

The first time i smoked this blend i wasnt all too impressed.

Its fairly moist, which i dont really mind, but i am not too happy about the cut. Sort of a rough,ribbon, broken cube cut sort of thing, i dont know, the best way to describe it would be rough.

I also wasnt too excited about the taste at first. It was almost exactly like frog morton, but with some sort of light casing. But after a few more bowls, in more broken in pipes, i have to say it is pretty good. Still has a resemblence of the frog, but it seems a little more spicy. Not a perique type spicyness, but what others have described as " a little like church incense."

Dont expect the spicyness to be overwhelming however, it is very subtle. The majority of the flavor i feel comes from the latakia, but you could also taste a fair amount of virginia and cavendish sweetness, cavenish more so than virginia. I have no idea where the spicy background flavor comes from, but it is nice.

Overall, not my favorite english blend, but other than the annoying cut, which i have trouble packing and keeping lit (In which I may be alone here) it is quite good and i may be ordering more when my single ounce is used up.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This a great Scottish/English style blend. It's not as lite as Frog Morton but remains on the light side. I've read here that it's a Lat. bomb. I totally disagree with that. The latakia is presented perfectly with the other tobaccos. It also has that Cavendish note that is typical of many Boswell blends. The Cavendish plays in the background and greatly improves the room note. It all pulls together quite well with a small degree of complexity in flavor. No bite to be noticed. This makes a great early evening smoke.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you call Boswell's and feel you have received poor customer service, you called the wrong number. Straight up - Boswell's is amazing. You WANT to like their tobaccos. They are great folks. I own one of their pipes only because I can never get on the net fast enough to pick the next one I want. If they ever start taking special orders again I will be first to call. Ok, that said - Northwoods is smooth, smokeable out of the bag, passes my Angel Wife's test, ages well (buy a 1/2 pound and seal it up), no bite, use a larger bowl. I buy and smoke a lot of varied tobaccos. Boswell's is a consistant go to tobacco supplier, not the only one, but in the top three. A relaxing smoke and that's why I puff my pipe.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

The Boswell's are wonderful people and I own five of their pipes and use them on a regular basis. The quality of their pipes are superior.

Their tobacco's are of the highest quailty. Northwoods in no exception. I have a hard time keeping this lit, but taking time to dry it out would likely fix this.

Too much of an L-Bomb for my tastes, but good tobacco. Recommend to the Latakia lover.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I picked up a couple ounces of Northwoods while passing through Chambersburg. This is really excellent stuff. Plenty of Latakia, smokes very smoothly. I know I will be buying more.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I usually reserve my Latakia blends for the fall and winter months. I love the transition time in the fall when the Latakia blends come out, and the rest head back into the cellar. Fall also marks upland bird hunting season, and nothing goes hand in hand like double guns, bird dogs and pipe smoking.

However, in the beginning of the season when it is still a titch warm out, sometimes it can be a bit unbearable to smoke latakia blends. This is what makes Northwoods a perfect early fall blend. Not as complex and chewy as heavier handed latakia mixtures, plus that slight aromatic flavor makes the trasition process seamless.

This blend is great in the morning with coffee, after dinner with a snifter of brandy or cognac, and also an evening dessert smoke with a tawny port.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's a tobacco mixture I would recommend for beginners, as it is mild in strength, easy on the tongue, smooth and cool-smoking. It's also delicious.

It has a nice dose of smoky Cyprian latakia, and has a smooth, creamy texture. It's quite sweet, as one might expect of a blender known for aromatics. It requires little care or attention, but delivers a rewarding smoking experience.

While flavorful and creamy, this is decidedly light in body. Those who call this a 'full English', whatever that means, must be referring to something other than its strength.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good blend for those wanting to explore english blends for sure. This was one of my first englishes, and I think its a good intro blend because it's not too strong in strength, its tasty, and I think it is a good baseline blend to judge other english blends off of.

What I DID NOT like about this blend is the tobacco itself. It seems really moist, even after having it for over 6 months, and is tough FOR ME to pack, but you might be better at it than me. Once you pack it right, it smokes goooood.

Doesn't bite, burns to the bottom, and as far as taste goes (and bag scent too).

My last word is a note about the tobacco's bag scent and taste. It's got some sort of aromatic smell and taste going on in addition to that typical english smokiness, which is kind of odd because this blend is not sold as, or even normally thought of as an aromatic/english cross-over. I'm not at all saying it is an aromatic/english cross-over, but i'm sure that when you smell this blend you will detect this aromatic creaminess that I'm talking about. In my opinion, this is all a GOOD thing.

Also, it's worth noting that when I first tried this blend I wasn't especially impressed with it. However, after a half dozen bowls or so, I really fell in love with this blend. Now, its one of my favorites out there. All that to say give this blend a few smokes before you formulate a strong opinion.

Overall, certainly recommended.

thefoolish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thefoolish (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a quality English blend for those who are looking for a good introduction to Englishes.

The tobacco itself is primarily black, both oily and dull, and is sprinkled with tan strands.

The addition of the black cavendish really cuts the smokiness, both in the tin note and the taste.

Overall, the taste of the tobacco is quite good. It tasted like a mind to medium English for the majority of the time, with occasional moments where the Latakia and cavendish would come together beautifully. In my experience, this blend tastes better with three to four shorter puffs than one long one. Towards the end of my most recent bowl, I was hit with a rather noticeable taste of perfume, which confused me, as I'd never noticed it before with this tobacco and the pipe I was using was devoted to Englishes. It may have just been a fluke of the environment and my senses at that moment.

I would highly recommend this blend to anyone trying to cross into Englishes and would recommend it to even the most dedicated English-Man.

joel750 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joel750 (6)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this the other day when my order arrived from J.M.Boswell.I read all the reviews here on Tobacco Reviews & a lot was said about this blend and it was well recommended by almost everyone so i bought an ounce of it but sadly, i really didn't like it as much as the other stuff that i ordered namely the Berry Cobbler & the Chocolate Cream.Probably because i like Aromatics better.When i opened the bag of this stuff,it smells a lot like either a Brand new Leather sofa set or a Leather Jacket.I almost sneezed trying to take a whiff of this stuff!It's really strong for an English Blend Then i smoked it the day after,it was OK but it's really not my cup of tea.It smokes mild and i cannot fully taste it for I'm really used to Aromatics. UPDATE After Smoking This blend for awhile,this blend grew on me and & i began to really like it! As a matter of fact, i recently ordered 1/2 LB. of it from Boswells just yesterday. Woodsy, Musky,Smokey with a hint of Hickory smell to it. Now i have a certain individual pipe dedicated just for this blend.After spending some smoking time,the flavor, room note and taste of J.M.Boswell Northwoods fully came out for me and i have to say that most if all of the previous reviewers of this blend were Spot-On correct.i highly Recommend this blend to anyone who is curious & interested smoking English Blends.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (8)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

===UPDATE=== After initially reviewing this tobacco (I gave it four stars then), I just thought I'd add something: Northwoods is the BEST tobacco I have EVER smoked period! I now truly understand the rave about English blends. In my original review, I said that the smell in the bag was almost like a mild maple syrup. Correction: it actually smells like burnt apple wood. Gosh, I love this stuff! Where's the button to give five stars?

===Original Review=== Nothwoods is the second English Blend that I've tried, the other being Sillem's Black. While I'm not an authority on English blends, I must say that I quite like Northwoods. The smell is the bag is quite pleasant, almost like a mild maple syrup. However, that smell is not even remotely present in the taste or the room note. While smoking, it has a nice flavour in the mouth. Overall, It's a fine blend that my wife easily easily tolerates, and believe me when I say she doesn't tolerate many tobaccos. So that's a plus for me as well. Try it, you may find it to be interesting.

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (6)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was not much of an English smoker till last fall. I made a trip tp Boswells & having never smoked an English in my 5 years of pipe smoking, I gave Northwoods a go. I had a tough time with that first bowl so J.M. said try Countryside. So he filled up my bowl with some Countryside & I really liked that. Well here we are 1/2 a year later & I am now a English lover & I am also back to Northwoods. GREAT flavor, lil bit of sweetness & the smoke has a creamy texture in you mouth. So you may want to begin with a milder Countryside but chances are good you'll make the jump op to Northwoods. Even my wife likes the room note. Grab a glass of of Bourbon & a bowl of Northwoods & you got Heaven!!

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)

One of the best english blends I've ever had. This and FMOTB are my two favorite english baccys.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

this weed tastes good, its like a sweeter version of a full english blend but (and its a big but) its too wet and dont burn well, not even after 60 minutes of drying.

EvanWeeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EvanWeeks (1)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've been leaving this one alone for a while, hoping the pouch note would calm down some, but I think it just got drier and the aroma has now impregnated the glass walls of the container I put it in. When I first received this as a part of a shipment of samplers from Boswell a week or so ago, it was immediately relegated to the "maybe I'll try it later" category. I wasn't entirely convinced it wasn't all rotten or something. It smells like a campfire, and perhaps a fresh deer kill. VERY strong stuff unlit. Well, I had a caesar salad and half-rack of ribs for dinner so I was feeling my oats and wanted to try something that would cut through the lingering spices in my mouth from dinner, so I ignored the "aroma" of the tobacco and used a frank method fill on a new, unused cob. It's a black tobacco flecked with bright red, and while less sticky than the other Boswell blends I've tried, it was still a little sticky getting into the bowl. Lighting was a little tricky with this one, and it seemed to want to go out on me a lot, but that could just as easily have been the extremely humid, rainy weather outside.

Once lit, however, I was immediately confused by what was going on in my mouth and in my nose as I let the smoke filter in for a french inhale. What the HELL, I thought, this tasted and smelled NOTHING like the earthy thing that was going on in the bag or jar. I immediately got an incense-y sort of floral note in my nose, but my palate sensed everything from sour almost apple notes at the front of my mouth to something that tasted somewhat caramel-y in the back of my throat. Underneath was what I can only liken to a roasting haunch of deer meat over an open flame (yes, I've smelled that before), with a not-unpleasant ash smell rising up to punctuate things occasionally. It was like nothing so much as a rustic smörgåsbord of woodsy flavors, something I might expect to read about in a Stephen R Lawhead novel being served at the King's table in times when chainmail wasn't something worn by divers to protect against sharks, or perhaps at a firepit around which hunters gather and lie to each other about their day. ("I saw a 24-point buck, but it was too far away / the wind was wrong / my gun jammed / I missed / etc.")

When I talk about sweeter flavors and smells in this tobacco, don't be fooled. There was little to none of the sometimes-cloying sweetness of some of Boswell's aromatic offerings. I caught hints of what I assume was the natural sweetness of the Virginia in the blend, and it made appearances to balance out the strength of the latakia and cavendish in the blend, which are the stars of this show.

If I were to pick a blend to take with me into the woods, this would be it. I'd probably never manage to catch anything since any critter within 20 miles would smell me coming, but man what a crazy set of flavors! And, this from something I would have guessed was rotten gore-soaked peat rather than tobacco! Yes, full disclosure, this was my first experience with an English blend. :)

Mr_Sneakums Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr_Sneakums (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I smoke mostly English and Oriental blends (FMOTT and Dunhill Aperitif are two of my favorites) but I'll occasionally smoke an aromatic for a change of pace and for those I've always loved Boswell's blends. When I most recently ordered from them I decided to give a few of their English blends a try, so along with my usual Raspberry Cream and Christmas Cookie I ordered the Magnum Blend, Countryside, and Northwoods.

In the pouch, it's jet black with a few golden flecks throughout. It packed easily. Lighting was effortless.

The first thing I noticed was the slight "incensy" quality that fruktflugan pointed out below. This may not sound like a positive to you, but I found it absolutely intoxicating.

The smoke is cool, dry, and THICK. It has the heavy, creamy, billowy smoke that I love to see in a good latakia blend -- perfect for smoke rings.

This blend is absolutely delicious. If I could rate it higher, I would. Tip: give it a French inhale for some nice flavors you might miss otherwise (and a pretty decent nicotine punch too, if that's your thing)!

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)

outstanding blend.

i was worried seeing as boswell is renowned for their aromatics and i dont care for aromatics all that much but this blend is truly delicious.

it has an unusually sticky casing for an english blend and a a very sweet sugary aroma in the pouch. its black as night with little specks of occasional virginia.

so delicious i dare to say its my new favorite tobacco.

i enjoy mixing different blends together and really enjoyed this mixed with Russ Ouellette's Anniversary Kake and Boswell's Christmas cookie.

edit: when purchasing remember this stuff is wet and gooey. so add an extra ounce to your order or youll think youre getting jipped. 2 oz. of this really looks like 1.25 oz.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

What a beautiful smoke. My wife likes the room note and I absolutely love the taste. What more could you ask for in a blend? Exactly. Do yourself a favor and give the Boswell family a call and order yourself some of this perfect blend. It doesn't get any better than this my friends. In 20 years from now, people will be talking about this blend as people are talking about the Dunhill blends now. Absolutely the best English blend i have and will ever smoke, funny that it's made in America. Instant classic. Essential purchase.

Edit 11-17-17. This is another great blend if you're just starting out smoking a pipe but I just can't smoke it anymore as it's got too much of a vanilla flavoring for my personal taste. It taste like Captain Black with Latakia added to it. I loved it years ago when I first wrote this review but I now prefer a more traditional English blend for when I wan't Latakia. I still give this one 3 stars as it is a great smoke for beginners.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A good English blend. No bite, smooth and smokey fragrant. Has a sweetness in the smoke that I guess is from the cavendish. I'd put this in the middle of the road for English blends. A nice english, just didn't scratch my itch for an English. Update; As with some blends I revisit I come up liking it better and it happend with this blend. I will add that the sample I recieved from Boswell's had a small half burned wood chip in the tobacco. Is this how Boswell's produces this wonderful blend or did this chip come from a distant Arab land? Doesn't matter to me much, I like this blend a lot.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (27)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

As October begins I find myself loading up a Becker Morta pipe with this baccy. I must edit my previous review as in a Morta wood pipe---well this stuff rocks. As I loaded up MANY bowls of this I noted that first---after the charring light, I noted a spicey flavor, and smokey taste I love in Latakia tobaccos. This continued through out MANY mid bowls right down to the finish. Folks if you like English blends, and or those tobaccos that seem to take you to the far off forest---this is a must try tobacco. I cannot say enough how much I enjoy it---well maybe I can--several pounds of it have been through my pipe--several more in the cellar------------won't be without this at any point. My Becker Morta with this stuff in it----pipegasm!!!!!!

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

There's not much more that can be said about this blend than has not already been said below. It smells like Dunhill My Mixture 965 in the pouch. It tastes and smells like Dunhill My Mixture 965 when smoked - although it does not get as peppery at the bottom of the bowl, and not as much Vitamin N - which lovers of milder blends will appreciate. Good stuff. An English blend that actually gets compliments for the room note. The pouch note when it arrived in my mailbox was strongly of chocolate (after a few weeks, that goes away, however). I thought, "oh no, a flavored blend." But when smoked, there is no flavor or scent of chocolate at all - just smooth, quality tobacco. Coarse cut loads easy. No need to dry out. Even with the latakia, it does not get too peppery at the end. Just about perfect.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)

Absolutely superb. Without a doubt this is one of my favorite, and I mean favorite English Blends.

My experience with this blend is that it is totally addictive. Although I have a lot of other English Blends on hand - I have consistently been smoking this Blend every night as a nightcap for the last 2 weeks.

If you like an English that has a wonderful complexity, is full on the palate, has beautiful notes of toasted virginias, cavendish, and latakia - then this one will rock you.

The tobacco has no bite. No pipe funk in the bowl or in the mouth. And I am sure - one's significant others will notice - that unlike other strong English Blends - one does not suffer from Godzilla Breath after the fact.

While full on the palate - one empties one's bowl only wishing there was a little more time to load up one's pipe again. The Boswell's really got this one right. Highly Recommended.

Rev. Avery Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Avery (9)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

I have to say that Northwoods is unbelievably wonderful. From the reviews Ive read and watched I was concerned it might be too strong. But after Dan sent some as a sample & I was hooked. It is by far my absolute favorite. It is a full flavor that is very smooth. No bite whatsoever. Because I want to constantly enjoy the flavor I find that I have to slow myself down between puffs. Its fantastic! Thanks Dan.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

If you like English blends, try this one. If you've never had an English blend, try this one. Absolutely delicious! Cool smoking, stoves to a different but pleasing flavor, stays lit and satisfies completely. If you draw some moisture into your mouth from the bowl it doesn't even taste bad. The 2oz. sample I purchased is a little moist but I wanted to smoke it right away so I got some gurgle out of it but it was not bothersome at all. I like this tobacco so much that I bought a pound of it just this morning. I don't see me being without Northwoods in my supply cabinet ever! The way I got hooked is a buddy of mine lent me a pipe to try (a Magnum) to see if I liked the pipe style. Upon smoking the pipe I picked up the ghost of something interesting. When I asked him what he'd been smoking in that pipe he said "Northwoods". I called Boswell the next day and ordered two ounces to try. I'm in love! In the recommendation field there was no "OMG" selection so I went with Highly Recommended.