Full English but smooth and mild base of Latakia and Toasted Virginia.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.6
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (69)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My first experience with Boswells was purchasing a much coveted pipe which came with a complementary 2oz sample of Northwoods. I was somewhat skeptical of this mixture as my taste in latakia blends lies somewhere slightly south of the heavy hitters, but not too far from latakia dominance. When I pine for a sweeter smoke I reach for a nice matured Virginia and generally stay away from aromatics and for that matter most blends containing cavendish. Nonetheless, due to the many positive reviews here, I was eager to give this a shot.

My sample was fairly moist and probably could have used a few hours dry time. The initial aroma from the bag was very sweet and dominated by that heavily cased Cavendish aroma with latakia playing second fiddle. I left the bag open for a few minutes and on second inspection the aroma was simply delightful. It reminded me of a great molasses based Missouri BBQ sauce, something like Show Me Liquid Smoke from Columbus. The tobacco was clearly high quality with broken red Virginia flakes mixed in with deeply pungent latakia and a moist cavendish that looked like rich high- grade compost. With no dry time, I packed a bowl in one of my largest pipes and went out to my patio in hopes of a flavorful smoke.

On first light the latakia played a much more assertive role that I thought it would. The Virginia and Cavendish components where quite subdued and at that point I thought I was in for a slight variation of a standard fair, albeit from the start a flavorful one. This perception changed big time near the half-way point when what came forth was a barrage of complex smoky/sweet nuanced spice flavors that one will not easily find in any standard latakia mixture. At that point all my reservations with this blend were squelched. Moreover, I was quite pleased with the cavendish component which rounded out the flavor nicely while only imparting a subtle influence on the overall experience. This is one very satisfying smoke, mild in strength, yet very full- flavored.

Unlike other reviewers, I had very little trouble keeping this stuff lit straight out of the bag. It burned evenly and fairly cool but is quite capable of biting if you don't take it slow. Expect a little goop on the bottom of your pipe, but not too much. Some dry time would probably rectify this issue and make for an even more flavorful smoke.

Altogether Northwoods is a great mixture. If you're shopping for something unique to try, this hybrid anomaly of a blend deserves your attention. It's definitely made my current rotation.

Update 11/26/12 - Upon revisiting this blend I find it to be a tad too sweet for my liking. Perhaps my tastes have changed a bit. I have since given away the rest of my stash of Northwoods to another piper interested in exploring Latakia mixtures. Nonetheless still very much "recommended" just no longer among my list of 4 star blends.

cloudconnect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cloudconnect (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a really interesting tobacco by who is obviously a master at their craft. Has all the characteristics of a good English blend, but there is an obvious casing aroma to the blend that doesn't fail in the end. I find the bag/tin smell very strong and it has to be well sealed. Not exactly and enticing smell because of Latakia and an aromatic cavendish of some type. But smoking it reveals a wonderful blend that is slightly off the beaten track for an English. Latakia is still there prominently, but the aromatics from the cavendish maintain a pleasant added character (not background and not forefront - just balanced) that creates a well-rounded smoking experience in the end. The claim from Boswells that all of their tobacco has virtually no tongue bite is proven here. Nothing to say that I don't really like about this tobacco.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first light up Northwoods, the first flavors that come to mind are, earthy, smoky and slightly sweet. It comes a little to moist for me, so I do dry it a little. As English smokes go, it is mild to medium and it doesn’t build up a lot of strength along the way. The flavor is pretty constant throughout the smoke too. I don’t care for very strong English blends and this is very smooth and not too strong compared to others I have tried. I love the slight sweetness it leaves in my mouth afterward. I have no idea why some would compare this to pine as I don't taste any of that at all. It makes me wonder if people just think that because of the name?? Northwoods is one of this pipe girl’s favorite English blends!

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

Slight fragrance of campfire in the jar. A bit moist so I spread some out to dry for a few minutes. It took a couple of relights, but once I got it going it stayed lit fairly well and there were gobs and gobs of creamy, cool, dry smoke. A large bowl lasted a full hour. It has a subtle, natural tasting sweetness but no casing or flavorings that I detect, and not overpowering at all. This one just tastes like tobacco - high quality tobacco.

Another factor in this blend's favor is it's availability.

Update 11/5/2012: still a great blend but falling behind more distinctive blends for me that don't seem to have the humectant this one does. Revising to 3 stars.

classicrider21 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
classicrider21 (4)
Strong Very Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Just a review for those aromatic smokers who want to try Northwoods. I was so impressed with the 4 star reviews how could I go wrong with this blend? To me it was like stuffing my pipe full of pine needles and lighting it up. I am traditionally an aromatic smoker and tend not to like english blends. Boswell's is a great tobacconist and I have enjoyed some of their other blends. For a traditional aromatic smoker Northwoods may be to strong to try as your first english blend.

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (15)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My favorite Boswells blend. Unique in that the two main components are black cavendish and latakia. The latakia is upfront but not overpowering. A sweet blend with a slight hint of the casing that is used. I definitely do not get the pine flavor people are talking about. A smooth all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Boswell's Poker

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years

Purchased From: Boswells

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Pouch note has a high sweet incense/purfume note with some smokiness.

Upon char and initial draw, I'm getting a lot of sweetness. The majority of tobaccos in this style I've sampled sofar are what I would phrase "like a dry wine", but this is a tawny port... rich, complex, and sweet.

As the bowl progresses, I'm able to pick out a little mustiness, some of the familiar "bread and spice" characters I typically associate with the style. The purfume/incense lingers and melds well with the spice - something earthy and pungent like caraway or cumin, with a more nutty and subdued spice like coriander. The whole thing tastes quite exotic, and it's almost like every component steps out for a puff, introduces itself, then gets out of the way for the next flavor component to make itself known.

Like the total newbie I am, emboldened by this complexity I started puffing a bit aggressively and started to get a mild ammoniated taste (although no bite) so I backed down and sure enough, that off-flavor disappeared quickly.

I found it very interesting how a little Cavendish can change an English style so much. Not to mention, how totally different a really well done Cavendish used as a condiment, is compared to a Cavendish based blend.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend sent me a small pouch to try as he recently purchased some. I'd say this is somewhere in flavor and strength between Perfection and Frog Morton. It is a very very mild smoke in terms of harshness. But very full in flavor. Well done Boswells.

Not a hint of bite. Can be puffed through like crazy. I was just thinking to myself before lighting up that it matters little how well this smokes because I'll probably never be willing to put myself through the trouble of ordering from Boswells (I live overseas). But this might make me rethink that.

Great moisture. Great flavor. Great smooth Latakia luxury. I'm a fan. Wonderful.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Pony Express

Purchased From: Boswells via friend

Epicurator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicurator (3)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Boswell's Northwoods may be the single most highly touted English-Style Latakia blend amongst both younger, and media-savvy pipe smokers. For good reason.

Seems the blend has grown to such extraordinary heights, popularity, that some folks expect the master blender, ole' J.M. Boswell, himself, to float up out of their bowl, and massage their feet and back once they light up. No such luck. We're just smoking tobacco here.

Yet what a wonderful tobacco it really is. It's reputation precedes it's arrival, and for me, did not disappoint.

The pouch is prototypical Latakia smokiness, but mingled with the underlying sweetness of the Black Cavendish. From the pouch to the dry-draw, you know you're in for a treat.

Simple, round, medium-bodied Latakia with a touch of sweetness. Retrohaling was especially pleasant, which tends not to be the case with cased Englishs. I can not speak to Nicotine content, as I am highly resistant.

Northwoods creates smooth, flavorful, dry smoke with just the right balance of sweetness. Deep, earthy, woodsy flavors abound, but nothing overpowering at all. Everyone's taste buds are so different when it comes to discerning nuances in smoke, it's foolish to rely on others' verbalized perceptions. Though I do not detect "Pine Needles", nor anything of the like. Even our own tastes change from month to month. A tobacco that blew you away three months ago, may taste like rotten shoe leather today. In practice, it's best to seek quality tobaccos from respected, experienced blenders and merchants, and try for yourself.

The important aspect of Northwoods, or any Boswell blend for that matter, is that it is thoughtfully blended by an experienced master, and contains high-quality, supple ingredients. In my opinion, every pipe smoker should always have some Boswell blends both in his cellar, and in his working stock. Be wary of any tobacco review being shared after only one or two bowls. We all know tobaccos taste different in varying pipes, in differing weather conditions, and even at different times of day. A pre-meal smoke can be a world away from an after dinner smoke.

Northwoods is an all-day-smoke, however. To be enjoyed when and where you please. It will adapt to it's environment, and you may discover something new about it each time. A+ all around. Absolutely worth a try.

Also noteworthy is Boswell's customer service. First-Rate all the way. All other tobacconists can take a lesson from the Boswell Clan.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi 310 (KS)

Purchased From: Boswell's Pipes & Tobacco

Similar Blends: Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River.

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is simply wonderful in my opinion. I am a huge fan of Frog Morton Cellar and I believe that this blend is even better than that, but it tastes quite similar to it with regards to its smoky room note. I tend to enjoy tobacco's on the milder side, but occasionally I will smoke something a bit earthier like G.L. Pease Gaslight or Mississippi River just to give you an idea of my palate.

Immediately when you open the bag you are met with a pleasing note that reminds you of a smokey Northwoods campfire and I must say that upon lighting up the tobacco I have felt greeted with the same good, solid northern campfire smell. Very pleasing to me and others around me from what I've heard. I was here a little bit hesitant to take the plunge because it had bragged up a bunch everywhere I looked, but I must say that it is simply phenomenal! Truly it is....

The tobacco appears to be great quality and burns very nicely. I have not tasted any ashy like flavors at any point while I have smoked the blend from beginning to end. Each time I am met with a smooth, dry smoke that takes some time to work through. I give it an A+ and it will definitely be in my weekly smoking collection. I only wish that it was somewhat cheaper. $4.25 an ounce plus shipping can get to be pretty expensive.

Pipe Used: Peterson 313 and 307

Age When Smoked: Immediately upon receipt and 1 month or so

Purchased From: Boswell

Similar Blends: Frog Morton Cellar.

FTF13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FTF13 (9)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This one was NOT for me. Not trying to be negative,,, but love alot of their other blends----this one though ,,,All I can say is --Yuk !!! Taste like your smoking a stick of incense and pine needles. No thanks.

Taerin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taerin (20)

Very interesting English tobacco with very little tongue bite and lots of pleasent aroma like your hiking in the forest/mountains. It is named well for it smells like you are in the woods, I can definatley smell pine trees, along with other woody smells. This has a perfect balance for a pipe smoker who prefers light English tobacco.

The taste did not agree with me, as it was like smoking pine needles; that is just not something I am into.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Northwoods is a good "cross over" English blend (think Frog Morton on the Town). It is sweet and while in my opinion not an aromatic, it does have some aromatic qualities. Northwoods is a great offering for those looking to move from aro's into English blends. It arrives a bit too moist and is best smoked after some dry time. Smokers of full bodied or more complex English blends like Nightcap or Westminster may want to pass on this one. If you are a fan of mild, sweet and straightforward English blends, this should be on your must try list.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This was my first encounter with Latakia. The name "Norhtwoods" was inticing so I figured what the heck. I was impressed from the start. The first impression I got after lighting up was that it smells like incense from church. I loved sitting in a lawn chair on my porch as cold fronts blew through, nestled in my warm metis capote and smoking a bowl of Northwoods through a corn cob.Can't wait for those days to return! The latakia in this blend is just right for my taste and though not as bold as my Brebbia Latakia #9 I give this a slight edge. My everday smoke, and a great cold weather puff.Recommended and a good intro to English blends.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, well. I'm about to do something I never imagined that I would someday be doing: I'm about to give four stars to a full-on English-aromatic crossover blend. That's right - I'm about to favorably compare Boswell's Northwoods to perennial faves like Odyssey, Abingdon, Larry's Blend, etc.

This is my first Boswell's blend. I never tried Boswell's before because they are primarily known for their traditional American aromatics, a genre I don't smoke very much of. Anyway, after coming across a zillion positive reviews for Northwoods, I ordered a few ounces with the attitude that, if I didn't like it, I could certainly find something to mix it with. Upon arrival, this ribbon-cut blend looked, felt and smelled like a heavy, goopy mess of Latakia and black cavendish, with maybe a few stray strands of Va mixed in for color. I loaded up a meer with some trepidation and got ready for .... well, not what I ultimately got, let me tell you.

Northwoods starts out pretty much as expected: a blast of pure latakia and cavendish-based sweetness. No subtlety here! I smoked a few minutes, enjoying the base flavors but disliking the muted but obvious aftertaste of what appears to be some kind of preservative or chemical casing (a slightly oily, almost plastic flavor that dances around the edge of the smoke in tandem with blasts of sweetness). The bowl started to heat up at the 15-minute mark, so I let it go out, fixed another drink and waited for it cool off. When I relit ...WAM!

At about a third of the way down, this blend morphs into a woodsy, spicy, COMPLEX mixture that immediately conjured up memories of some of my favorite Balkans. There are no orientals listed in the ingredients, so I can only surmise that this delicious spice comes from the Vas or even the Lat itself. (I wonder if the Vas are perhaps being gently stoved as the bowl burns down?) No matter -- as the bowl progressed, this delicious melange of incense-like flavors intensified, especially with relights. I even enjoyed smelling the smoke as it burned, and my wife didn't seem bothered at all by the room note. I've ever experienced anything like this in an crossover blend, and I've tried a LOT of them.

In summary, I'd describe this stuff as what might happen if Frog Morton stopped swilling chocolate syrup, went on an all-steroid diet and bought a gym membership. Put another way: This stuff is vaguely reminiscent of McClelland's lat offerings (British Woods, the FM series, and Legends) in terms of flavor but, where McClelland's mixtures are almost always on the mild side of the spectrum, Northoods is definitely on the stronger end. I am reluctant to place Northwoods in quite the same category as Pease's best Balkans or English blends (it's not THAT complex, as there are no orientals or even perique) but the bottom line is that I enjoy it as much as I do my Odyssey. I was absolutely floored by this stuff! I never would have believed these constituent tobaccos could add up to something this tasty or satisfying.

It burns very well, and has never bit my tongue (even when smoked aggressively enough to heat up the bowl). It has enough nicotine to satisfy, more than most traditional Englishes but not enough to scare anybody off. And -- oddly enough -- it tastes almost identical in my meers, briars and cobs! One caveat, however: this stuff really likes larger bowls, so don't even bother loading up a clay. Instead, reach for that giant Danish freehand sitter you haven't touched since discovering Virginia flakes and get ready for nirvana ....

I've smoked through most of my 4-ounce sample in a variety of pipes and I'm about to pull the triggr on a few pounds. The only negative I've identified -- and this is a BIG negative to many smokers -- is the aforementioned chemical aftertaste. I've encountered it before in blends like Shortcut to Mushrooms, 1-Q, etc., so I believe it to either be PG or something that's added to the black cavendish. It's annoying, and I still don't like it, but this blend's flavor and temperament simply overwhelms my traditional preference for more naturalistic English blends. I can, however, definitely envision some English or Balkan fans not being able to overlook it.

YMMV, of course.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Finally, a Boswell mixture that is normal regarding its humidity. Correct moisture, and if you let it out open it may dry out. Mild English mixture with nice Latakia taste (not the best I‘ve ever tasted) combined with a sweetness that comes from the black Cavendish. It didn't cause any tongue bite. I would conclude that everything run smoothly with this tobacco, if I didn't see the fluids it left behind in the bowl of my pipe. So, for me, this one is also rejected.

PipeSmoker408 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmoker408 (6)

Out of the 15 or so blends Ive tried from Boswell, this has to one of my favorites. it's a light to medium English ( I tend to think of this as an American English!!) It's has a nice campfire taste that quickly turns down to a smooth exhale. I got turned into this blend by watching YouTube videos and some of the vidos had a bag of Boswells by their pipes...I thank them!!

BerkleePipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BerkleePipester (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Northwoods is an excellent blend by Boswell. It provides a cool, relatively dry smoke with great, smooth flavor. Any english lover would adore this blend. It doesnt pack a big punch but it will soothe your soul. If ever you buy a great boswell pipe, ask for an ounce of their northwoods. You won't regret it.

4 stars.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (36)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

So good! I'm new to pipe smoking and smoked a couple of aromatics before trying Frog Morton on the log. Really enjoyed that, so on my first Boswell's order, i ordered a bunch of their famous aros and Northwoods. LOVE Northwoods. I think it's slightly more mild than FM on the log, similar to Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Tried it in a brand new corncob pipe and just loved it. Easy going Latakia blend with a delicious black cavendish mix!

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum eaton

Purchased From: JM Boswells

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Gus Evening Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus Evening (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Fantastic English blend. Slight sweetness with the Latakia always balanced throughout the bowl. Nicotine is not very strong, if that's what your looking for, but the taste is great!

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Judging from the responses to my original review, I've seemed to have ruffled a few feathers concerning this popular blend. I can assure my fellow pipe smokers this was not my intent, so, against my better judgement, I'm going to try to rectify that.

First off, unlike many of my critics, I've been to Boswell's, purchased a pipe there (an expensive one, I might add), and a bunch of tobacco. I tried Northwoods because of the many positive reviews found on this web-site. I don't regret trying it, I simply don't like it. It's my least favorite blend of the blends I purchased (see my other two reviews if you want to read about them, along with some other observations concerning Boswell's). I'm not saying the tobacco is bad, contrary, the tobacco used, I'm sure, is of the highest quality—I'm just not appreciating the pine-like scent or flavoring used in the blend (if it's not pine, what is it then? I'm not the only one who's made this observation, by the way).

Frankly, this blend makes me want to wretch. I find it to be a sickly-sweet mentholated concoction that gave me an experience not dissimilar to smoking a KOOL cigarette (which I used to do on a regular basis, many years ago—and, it could be that's why I don't like Northwoods now). Even so, I've given it two stars because despite my not liking it, it does have some good attributes, such as being completely smooth and bite-less (like every other Boswell I've tried, thus far).

And, for those of you who suggest that it was the name, and that alone, of this blend, that made me think there may be a pine-like additive in it—that is insulting. Ever stop to think it was named Northwoods because it does, in fact, have a pine-like additive?

Sorry to say, this additive stew, Northwoods, and, I'll stand by this, strikes me as being nothing more than a distant relative of Edward G. Robinson's blend, only without the bite (if you don't believe me, try some EGR—not the same taste, but the same blending philosophy).

Cheers!

Pipe Used: A Boswell

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Boswell's

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

I just finished my first bowl of this a few minutes ago and I must say that this is some good stuff! In many ways it reminds me of Frog Morton. The tin note is similar, the course ribbon cut is about the same, a little chunky. It's not quite as sweet as Frog Morton is. It has a little more of a nicotine kick to it but not too much, it's no Nightcap. Considering I absolutely love Frog Morton it's no mystery that I also love this blend too. It would be hard for me to pick one over the other at the moment. Plain and simple THIS BLEND IS DAMN GOOD! If you like Latakia blends that are super smooth this is for you. Retro-hailing is no problem with this one, just enjoy the sweet smokey taste as it fills the senses. This blend is good for the seasoned veteran and the newbies as well. Come one come all, to the Northwoods :)

Pipe Used: Savinelli Fuoco 315 KS

Purchased From: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton.

halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (9)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not enough stars available to rate this one. This is a smooth and creamy Cav/Lat/Virg blend that will just knock your socks off in a good way. Nicotine is not overwhelming, and the Latakia is smooth and woodsy and nicely combined with the sweetness of the virginia and cavendish. I don't have any idea where people get the idea that this is like smoking an evergreen incense stick laced with pine needles. Maybe this is a preconceived notion of suggestion based on the name given to this blend with the title North Woods conjuring up images of pine scented candles at Christmastime. I do not sense this at all, nor do I feel it has a chemically after taste. To me this is a superb Five star Va/Lat blend that will always have a spot in my cellar.

matthieuduquette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matthieuduquette (12)

Northwoods is thus far my favorite English blend. Though I am somewhat limited in my experience. With only about four English blends having been sampled.

In the bag. Northwoods smells like a mix of tanned leather and burning evergreen. I could imagine this smell emanating from a barbecue pit. Very bold, smokey scent. With a touch of sweet and sourness that salivates your mouth as you pull the aromas through your olfactory. A richly dark blend of what looks to be about half black cavendish, nearly half maybe red Virginia, and I would guess about ten percent Latakia.

In the pipe. Northwoods is a fairly mild smoke. I would consider it an introductory English for those getting into the experience. An all around good smokey flavor with luscious, billowy plumes of smoke with every puff. Then a touch of sour on the back of your palette with a paced smoke. It will bite you and get a little harshly sour if you rush it. Yet it can handle a fairly steady pace without getting to overpowering. Dry smoking and never got too hot, even at the point it got harsh when I was going to quickly. A bowl will likely yield about fifty minutes of smoking which is aces. I did tend to have to relight, however, at about the 3/4 mark which is a minus.

Room Note is smokey and woodsy. Much like the bag smell less the sour. It also has a whisper of sweetness in the end like in the bag.

An outstanding blend all around. Hopefully I can fine tune the tamping so I can resist relights but it is a miner drawback when put up against all the positives. Really like that even with the robust smoke yielded from every draw. Northwoods still is a long smoking experience. Allowing one to really sit back and enjoy the experience for a good long while without a lot of maintenance.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)

For all you aroNooBs out there, this might be the one to turn you to the dark side!!! Now what am I going to do with all the aros I've started out with???

Was anxious to try this one. Curious about some of the lesser reviews claiming that this one tasted like pine needles? I've never eaten pine needles myself but it sounds cool so kudos to those of you who have.

I didn't taste any pine needles. I think Northwoods is for those who appreciate tobacco before sugar. I like sugar, I like JMB's aromatics (most of them) but Northwoods is great.

Easy to work with. Lit easily and stayed burning away nicely. Not the room note that the War Department is used to, but she liked it none the less. And it burned cool and I like the smoke it produced.

I'm only a couple months in to the Briar, but I appreciate this tobacco, a lot. Looking forward to Countryside. This one wasn't too strong (which surprised me). The first bowl was really nice. Had the second one with a sweet coffee; holee chow!! Third bowl and I'm sold.

Hey Northern Pipes, I grew up in Northern Ontario too (well, Sudbury, if you consider that north) and grew up sitting on the screened in porch with my grandfather, dad and uncle all smoking great smelling tobaccos.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Northwoods is a blend that is unique in its flavor profile and sort of defies categorization for this smoker. Cut of the tobacco features lots of large black pieces mixed with smaller pieces of what I assume is the Va component.

A little air time is necessary as I find too moist. Medium to large size pipes preferred. Thicker cut allows this to burn well outside for me.

The Latakia flavor is very much just a smoky undertone in this blend that is really softened and rounded by the sweetness of the Va and Cavendish components. Mid Bowl like sweet and spicy BBQ sauce as I believe another reviewer mentioned.

I'd hesitate to call this an aromatic simply because it has highly sweet aspects to me. I also hesitate to compare this to compare this to other English blends as I find the Latakia component to be robust , but not full spectrum. Northwoods is a great blend that equals more than the sum of its parts. The flavors jive and mix well. It is not super complex, but it is full and satisfying. It does not require your complete concentration to derive enjoyment.

It really captures a vibe that others have mentioned. It is like that autumn time where the sweet smells of summer still mix with the notes of leaves changing color, and nights are getting chilly. In summary, one to keep in my rotation. A great outdoor tobacco for the cooler months. Not one I'm gonna reach for all the time, but recommended.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

WOW. As one of my few foray's into "English" style blends, I have to say that this one was very enjoyable. I don't get the incence flavour or smell that others have noted. I get a pine smell with hints of earthy mushroom. And as the name suggests woodsiness. I associate a lot of my memories and nostalgia with the tobacco smells. Growing up in Northern Ontario, aromatics bring me right back to the local bar where my Grandfather would spend his time with his old Bush Pilot crew. This one brought me right out to the forest and the woods of Northern Ontario where I grew up. I'm an aromatic lover and take the odd step into stronger English blends occasionally and this one is a winner for me.

pennjersey83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pennjersey83 (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

The smell is very intense and unique. It is definitely an acquired taste. I didn't like this blend much at first. I have aged it for about 8 months and it's getting more delicious. The last bowl I smoked made me add one more star to my review

cdcherry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cdcherry (7)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

So here is where Northwoods sits with me. I have never purchased more than one 50g tin of tobacco at a time. (Or a 2 ounce bag at a B&M shop) After one bowl of Northwoods, ordered half a pound. There you go.

OomPaul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OomPaul (1)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't say that I really enjoyed the first bowl I smoked. The incense like aroma that other reviewers have commented on was rather odd to me.

The more I smoke it the more I like it. After almost 2oz I am totally hooked. May never go back to aromatics.

Love the smoky Latakia flavor now.

I would highly recommend this for someone wanting to try an English blend.

I'll definitely order more..

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The Latakia is so so mellow it puts me in a coma. Absolutely loved this English blend. I have had it in the cellar for two years and now enjoying 1-2 pipes a day. Do yourself a favor if you like English blends with a hint of spice. Well done BPT on another fine blend!

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

There is certainly something special about this blend. I can't quite put my finger on it. It is a clear-cut english for sure, but so well balanced and full of flavor that I just couldn't help but call it a favorite.

SBC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SBC (20)

Northwoods is frequently compared to Shortcut to Mushrooms; so, this review will simply be comparison/contrast. That may not be fair to NW, but it's the best way I know to review it.

A friend and I sat down together and packed a bowl of each, trading pipes back and forth a number of times, for comparison's sake.

For starters, the pouch smells of NW and STM are nearly identical to each other.

As for the smoke:

NW has a more exotic flavor profile, and produces more billowy smoke.

STM, on the other hand, is a tad sweeter, a tad stronger, and is to me a tad more satisfying. Others have picked up on an “incense” like flavor in NW. Yes, that is exactly right. If you're familiar with that unique, exotic scent of incense as used in liturgical Christian churches, you'll catch hints of it in NW. This becomes more noticeable after about a third of the bowl, and it's pretty consistent from thereon out. Quite enjoyable to me.

I doubt that incense-like flavor is from the latakia—it must be from something else. I think I catch more sweetened latakia in STM. Whereas I catch more of this incense profile in NW.

Both are good. If NW pushed that unique incense profile more robustly, and with a bit more sweetness, it would be even more distinct from STM than it is, and more enjoyable in its own right.

As it stands, though, it needs a bit more robustness and sweetness to stand out; so, despite bringing something good to the table that STM does not, STM remains slightly preferable to me.

I'm giving NW 3 stars, even though it probably deserves 4, just because STM has the slight edge to my personal tastes.

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

Wow Northwoods!!! What i can say? Is my Top 1. It's a perfect english blend that J.M. Boswell make. It's Full body, long finish and complex. To beat this tobacco is hard hard. Man not think about, try smoke now! 4+** STAR to more.

defender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
defender (5)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

What a smoke! All blends well in every draw and the Latakia actually stands out but not overwhelming in middle of the distinct flavors of the Virginia and Black Cavendish... Love it... another good one from JM.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Sampled this tobacco in my one and only Boswell. Not sure I can say what hasn't already been said. Love this 'woodsy' and 'creamy' blend...it's the best way to describe it, 'woodsy'. Very delicious! The smoke is silky smooth and creamy with a 'smokey'-'woodsy' with almost a hint of citrus/floral. I will be ordering more... Top notch stuff!

On another note, The Boswell's, hands down, have the best customer service I have experienced yet in the pipe world. I will be a life-long customer of theirs due to my experience with purchasing a pipe and tobacco from them!! Not to mention what a good smoker the pipe is and how excellent their tobacco is!

TexasTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TexasTobacco (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Ah, Northwoods. Personally, for me, it just grows on you with every puff. It's one of those tobaccos where I hated it when I first lit it, but by the time I got done with it, I had fallen in love! It has a deep, rich, woodsy, manly, spicey, smokey (duh..) flavor that you just have to experience for yourself. I personally couldn't smoke this all the time, but when you're out in the woods, or on your back porch, this makes wonderful company. As for smoking in a room full of people... I wouldn't recommend it, but the room note is definitely not as bad as some English blends I've experienced. This one is to please YOU, not the room. :)

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

Update Finished one ounce sample. I need to order more, although i had only a small amount it grew on me with every bowl. I have never experienced the type of spicy characteristics this blend has. Fantastic. I will be ordering more, and i also am looking forward to trying Boswell's other english blends. Was a lot more pleased with northwoods than i was with the two aromatics i chose to sample.

I ordered a one ounce sample of this blend along with a couple one ounce samplers of some Boswell aromatics.

The first time i smoked this blend i wasnt all too impressed.

Its fairly moist, which i dont really mind, but i am not too happy about the cut. Sort of a rough,ribbon, broken cube cut sort of thing, i dont know, the best way to describe it would be rough.

I also wasnt too excited about the taste at first. It was almost exactly like frog morton, but with some sort of light casing. But after a few more bowls, in more broken in pipes, i have to say it is pretty good. Still has a resemblence of the frog, but it seems a little more spicy. Not a perique type spicyness, but what others have described as " a little like church incense."

Dont expect the spicyness to be overwhelming however, it is very subtle. The majority of the flavor i feel comes from the latakia, but you could also taste a fair amount of virginia and cavendish sweetness, cavenish more so than virginia. I have no idea where the spicy background flavor comes from, but it is nice.

Overall, not my favorite english blend, but other than the annoying cut, which i have trouble packing and keeping lit (In which I may be alone here) it is quite good and i may be ordering more when my single ounce is used up.

Devoto18 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devoto18 (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this stuff! It was my first non-aromatic and is still one of my favorite English blends. It smells sort of leathery in the pouch and tastes really, really good on the tongue. No bite, just flavor. Only complaint - the wife doesn't really care for the room-note...she's hard to please I guess.

It's a great transition for an aromatic smoker looking to try an English-type tobacco. Try it - you'll be glad you did.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This a great Scottish/English style blend. It's not as lite as Frog Morton but remains on the light side. I've read here that it's a Lat. bomb. I totally disagree with that. The latakia is presented perfectly with the other tobaccos. It also has that Cavendish note that is typical of many Boswell blends. The Cavendish plays in the background and greatly improves the room note. It all pulls together quite well with a small degree of complexity in flavor. No bite to be noticed. This makes a great early evening smoke.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you call Boswell's and feel you have received poor customer service, you called the wrong number. Straight up - Boswell's is amazing. You WANT to like their tobaccos. They are great folks. I own one of their pipes only because I can never get on the net fast enough to pick the next one I want. If they ever start taking special orders again I will be first to call. Ok, that said - Northwoods is smooth, smokeable out of the bag, passes my Angel Wife's test, ages well (buy a 1/2 pound and seal it up), no bite, use a larger bowl. I buy and smoke a lot of varied tobaccos. Boswell's is a consistant go to tobacco supplier, not the only one, but in the top three. A relaxing smoke and that's why I puff my pipe.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

The Boswell's are wonderful people and I own five of their pipes and use them on a regular basis. The quality of their pipes are superior.

Their tobacco's are of the highest quailty. Northwoods in no exception. I have a hard time keeping this lit, but taking time to dry it out would likely fix this.

Too much of an L-Bomb for my tastes, but good tobacco. Recommend to the Latakia lover.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I picked up a couple ounces of Northwoods while passing through Chambersburg. This is really excellent stuff. Plenty of Latakia, smokes very smoothly. I know I will be buying more.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I usually reserve my Latakia blends for the fall and winter months. I love the transition time in the fall when the Latakia blends come out, and the rest head back into the cellar. Fall also marks upland bird hunting season, and nothing goes hand in hand like double guns, bird dogs and pipe smoking.

However, in the beginning of the season when it is still a titch warm out, sometimes it can be a bit unbearable to smoke latakia blends. This is what makes Northwoods a perfect early fall blend. Not as complex and chewy as heavier handed latakia mixtures, plus that slight aromatic flavor makes the trasition process seamless.

This blend is great in the morning with coffee, after dinner with a snifter of brandy or cognac, and also an evening dessert smoke with a tawny port.

seb4130ny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seb4130ny (2)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say that hasn't already been said, this is one of my favorite go to tobacco after spending a few days enjoying English blends. Although it is called and English blend, I am not so sure about that. It is by no means comparable to the likes of a Dunhill Nightcap or an Ashton's Artisan Blend or any other English for that matter. It smells extremely rustic in the bag; almost like some form of incense. The flavor is extremely enjoyable yet rather light at the same time. Although it may not stack up to other English blends this is one of those blends that I highly recommend that you have a few ounces on-hand at all times. The price cannot be beat, which ultimately makes this one of my favorite blends. I can almost guarantee that when you spend a few day smoking stronger English blends and then load a bowl of Northwoods, the first thought will be, "ahh, so good." It's just that type of tobacco.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's a tobacco mixture I would recommend for beginners, as it is mild in strength, easy on the tongue, smooth and cool-smoking. It's also delicious.

It has a nice dose of smoky Cyprian latakia, and has a smooth, creamy texture. It's quite sweet, as one might expect of a blender known for aromatics. It requires little care or attention, but delivers a rewarding smoking experience.

While flavorful and creamy, this is decidedly light in body. Those who call this a 'full English', whatever that means, must be referring to something other than its strength.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good blend for those wanting to explore english blends for sure. This was one of my first englishes, and I think its a good intro blend because it's not too strong in strength, its tasty, and I think it is a good baseline blend to judge other english blends off of.

What I DID NOT like about this blend is the tobacco itself. It seems really moist, even after having it for over 6 months, and is tough FOR ME to pack, but you might be better at it than me. Once you pack it right, it smokes goooood.

Doesn't bite, burns to the bottom, and as far as taste goes (and bag scent too).

My last word is a note about the tobacco's bag scent and taste. It's got some sort of aromatic smell and taste going on in addition to that typical english smokiness, which is kind of odd because this blend is not sold as, or even normally thought of as an aromatic/english cross-over. I'm not at all saying it is an aromatic/english cross-over, but i'm sure that when you smell this blend you will detect this aromatic creaminess that I'm talking about. In my opinion, this is all a GOOD thing.

Also, it's worth noting that when I first tried this blend I wasn't especially impressed with it. However, after a half dozen bowls or so, I really fell in love with this blend. Now, its one of my favorites out there. All that to say give this blend a few smokes before you formulate a strong opinion.

Overall, certainly recommended.

thefoolish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thefoolish (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a quality English blend for those who are looking for a good introduction to Englishes.

The tobacco itself is primarily black, both oily and dull, and is sprinkled with tan strands.

The addition of the black cavendish really cuts the smokiness, both in the tin note and the taste.

Overall, the taste of the tobacco is quite good. It tasted like a mind to medium English for the majority of the time, with occasional moments where the Latakia and cavendish would come together beautifully. In my experience, this blend tastes better with three to four shorter puffs than one long one. Towards the end of my most recent bowl, I was hit with a rather noticeable taste of perfume, which confused me, as I'd never noticed it before with this tobacco and the pipe I was using was devoted to Englishes. It may have just been a fluke of the environment and my senses at that moment.

I would highly recommend this blend to anyone trying to cross into Englishes and would recommend it to even the most dedicated English-Man.

joel750 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joel750 (6)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this the other day when my order arrived from J.M.Boswell.I read all the reviews here on Tobacco Reviews & a lot was said about this blend and it was well recommended by almost everyone so i bought an ounce of it but sadly, i really didn't like it as much as the other stuff that i ordered namely the Berry Cobbler & the Chocolate Cream.Probably because i like Aromatics better.When i opened the bag of this stuff,it smells a lot like either a Brand new Leather sofa set or a Leather Jacket.I almost sneezed trying to take a whiff of this stuff!It's really strong for an English Blend Then i smoked it the day after,it was OK but it's really not my cup of tea.It smokes mild and i cannot fully taste it for I'm really used to Aromatics. UPDATE After Smoking This blend for awhile,this blend grew on me and & i began to really like it! As a matter of fact, i recently ordered 1/2 LB. of it from Boswells just yesterday. Woodsy, Musky,Smokey with a hint of Hickory smell to it. Now i have a certain individual pipe dedicated just for this blend.After spending some smoking time,the flavor, room note and taste of J.M.Boswell Northwoods fully came out for me and i have to say that most if all of the previous reviewers of this blend were Spot-On correct.i highly Recommend this blend to anyone who is curious & interested smoking English Blends.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I hope this bend sticks around for a long time. I was hooked after the first bowl and soon after had a pipe (or two) dedicated to this stuff.

The smell in the bag is of something like incense and applewood smoke, with maybe some burnt rubber (in a good way) and hickory coals... The tobacco looks to be mostly black cavendish... Very strange look for how it tastes. The tobacco had the same curious moisture as other bosewells: not wet, not sticky but 'heavy'. Again I wonder what kind of additives they use to make the tobacco behave so. Trying to dry it out for an hour under my desklamp didn't do too much so I packed it anyway. This stuff is hard to pack. There are hard, dense bits along with skinny ribbons that jumble together in an awkward manner.

Lighting was almost too easy for how 'heavy' this stuff is. The taste made me wonder if this was meant to be an aromatic, the sweet/spicy cavendish provided a great aroma and mellow smoke.The latakia is there, but not soo much that it takes center stage (PERFECT) The flavor was very consistent, lasted over an hour and produced great amounts of mild and bite-free savory smoke, perfect for smokerings. The difficulty packing came back to me as I had to fuss with it a bit to keep an even burn.

This is my all day smoke that wont turn your tongue to leather nor get you chased away by non-smokers with the room note. A perfect blend to introduce aromatic fans to English type blends.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

One good smoke! Glad I got 1/2~pnd, but will have to go get another 1/2 cause this stuff is very good.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (7)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

===UPDATE=== After initially reviewing this tobacco (I gave it four stars then), I just thought I'd add something: Northwoods is the BEST tobacco I have EVER smoked period! I now truly understand the rave about English blends. In my original review, I said that the smell in the bag was almost like a mild maple syrup. Correction: it actually smells like burnt apple wood. Gosh, I love this stuff! Where's the button to give five stars?

===Original Review=== Nothwoods is the second English Blend that I've tried, the other being Sillem's Black. While I'm not an authority on English blends, I must say that I quite like Northwoods. The smell is the bag is quite pleasant, almost like a mild maple syrup. However, that smell is not even remotely present in the taste or the room note. While smoking, it has a nice flavour in the mouth. Overall, It's a fine blend that my wife easily easily tolerates, and believe me when I say she doesn't tolerate many tobaccos. So that's a plus for me as well. Try it, you may find it to be interesting.

CornCobBob61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCobBob61 (10)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am a fast pufferso I usually have tongue bite.I put up with it because I enjoy puffing fast.I go through maybe 10 bowls a day.That being said I tried Northwoods at 130 am at the end of my day.I can tell when my tongue bite gets worse from one bowl to the next.I fired up a bowl and after going through it had no new tongue bite.So I fired up another right away and by the end also had no new bite.I loved it just for that if nothing else.Nice mellow smell simular to a camp fire burning pine needles...to me that is a wonderful smell.Wonderful taste in my mouth but I couldnt quite pin down what I was tasting.I mostly smoke aromatics and this is my first attempt at an english blend.Whatever the taste was I loved it.Also it seemed to me to have a strong kick to it as after 2 bowls I was wide awake lol.Overall Im in love with this and look forward to trying more english blends to compare it to.

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (5)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was not much of an English smoker till last fall. I made a trip tp Boswells & having never smoked an English in my 5 years of pipe smoking, I gave Northwoods a go. I had a tough time with that first bowl so J.M. said try Countryside. So he filled up my bowl with some Countryside & I really liked that. Well here we are 1/2 a year later & I am now a English lover & I am also back to Northwoods. GREAT flavor, lil bit of sweetness & the smoke has a creamy texture in you mouth. So you may want to begin with a milder Countryside but chances are good you'll make the jump op to Northwoods. Even my wife likes the room note. Grab a glass of of Bourbon & a bowl of Northwoods & you got Heaven!!

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)

One of the best english blends I've ever had. This and FMOTB are my two favorite english baccys.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I am a bit surprised negatively after smoking this mixture. After all the stars I've seen so many beautiful words, it is good, is good but is very light, almost slightly aromatic. I repeat, is not bad, but maybe I expected something with more body, ... strength. This time appointed Nothwood. An armored, oh no no! just an ordinary boat! Maybe in some time to mature in the dark ....... I will make an update, and I sincerely hope with the changes ................. Thinking right,.......... it will be wrong to choose the mixture????

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)

This baccy is awesome even if you don't like latakia blends.

thor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thor (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I love this woodsy tobacco. Have only recently learned of Boswell and their delicious blends and great service, now they're my ONLY source of tobacco. Northwoods is at the top of my list for just great pleasurable "kick-back" pipe-smoking enjoyment. For an aromatic, I find their Raspberry Cream to be my favorite; so today I ordered a hunk of Northwood and a hunk of Raspberry Cream to stuff into my jumbo briar.....ah, man, let it snow, let it snow.......thank you, Boswell!

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

this weed tastes good, its like a sweeter version of a full english blend but (and its a big but) its too wet and dont burn well, not even after 60 minutes of drying.

arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arbor (9)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I am not a big fan of English blends but this is the best I've tried.

EvanWeeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EvanWeeks (1)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've been leaving this one alone for a while, hoping the pouch note would calm down some, but I think it just got drier and the aroma has now impregnated the glass walls of the container I put it in. When I first received this as a part of a shipment of samplers from Boswell a week or so ago, it was immediately relegated to the "maybe I'll try it later" category. I wasn't entirely convinced it wasn't all rotten or something. It smells like a campfire, and perhaps a fresh deer kill. VERY strong stuff unlit. Well, I had a caesar salad and half-rack of ribs for dinner so I was feeling my oats and wanted to try something that would cut through the lingering spices in my mouth from dinner, so I ignored the "aroma" of the tobacco and used a frank method fill on a new, unused cob. It's a black tobacco flecked with bright red, and while less sticky than the other Boswell blends I've tried, it was still a little sticky getting into the bowl. Lighting was a little tricky with this one, and it seemed to want to go out on me a lot, but that could just as easily have been the extremely humid, rainy weather outside.

Once lit, however, I was immediately confused by what was going on in my mouth and in my nose as I let the smoke filter in for a french inhale. What the HELL, I thought, this tasted and smelled NOTHING like the earthy thing that was going on in the bag or jar. I immediately got an incense-y sort of floral note in my nose, but my palate sensed everything from sour almost apple notes at the front of my mouth to something that tasted somewhat caramel-y in the back of my throat. Underneath was what I can only liken to a roasting haunch of deer meat over an open flame (yes, I've smelled that before), with a not-unpleasant ash smell rising up to punctuate things occasionally. It was like nothing so much as a rustic smörgåsbord of woodsy flavors, something I might expect to read about in a Stephen R Lawhead novel being served at the King's table in times when chainmail wasn't something worn by divers to protect against sharks, or perhaps at a firepit around which hunters gather and lie to each other about their day. ("I saw a 24-point buck, but it was too far away / the wind was wrong / my gun jammed / I missed / etc.")

When I talk about sweeter flavors and smells in this tobacco, don't be fooled. There was little to none of the sometimes-cloying sweetness of some of Boswell's aromatic offerings. I caught hints of what I assume was the natural sweetness of the Virginia in the blend, and it made appearances to balance out the strength of the latakia and cavendish in the blend, which are the stars of this show.

If I were to pick a blend to take with me into the woods, this would be it. I'd probably never manage to catch anything since any critter within 20 miles would smell me coming, but man what a crazy set of flavors! And, this from something I would have guessed was rotten gore-soaked peat rather than tobacco! Yes, full disclosure, this was my first experience with an English blend. :)

Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

An intriguiging blend to say the least. The word INCENSE does come to mind immediately. Another thing that comes to mind is a very slight chocolate top note on the cavendish. Depending on your palate sensitivity,this will detemine how much you taste. Very heavy on the latakia but since it has the chocolate/incense thing going on ,all is well in the state of Denmark. This is a full English blend. The flavor is rich and creamy. The room note also goes with that. I would give it 4 stars except the lack of orientals is noticeable. However, for an imaginative and unique English blend, it gets 4 stars.

Mr_Sneakums Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr_Sneakums (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I smoke mostly English and Oriental blends (FMOTT and Dunhill Aperitif are two of my favorites) but I'll occasionally smoke an aromatic for a change of pace and for those I've always loved Boswell's blends. When I most recently ordered from them I decided to give a few of their English blends a try, so along with my usual Raspberry Cream and Christmas Cookie I ordered the Magnum Blend, Countryside, and Northwoods.

In the pouch, it's jet black with a few golden flecks throughout. It packed easily. Lighting was effortless.

The first thing I noticed was the slight "incensy" quality that fruktflugan pointed out below. This may not sound like a positive to you, but I found it absolutely intoxicating.

The smoke is cool, dry, and THICK. It has the heavy, creamy, billowy smoke that I love to see in a good latakia blend -- perfect for smoke rings.

This blend is absolutely delicious. If I could rate it higher, I would. Tip: give it a French inhale for some nice flavors you might miss otherwise (and a pretty decent nicotine punch too, if that's your thing)!

Hiram Briar 23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hiram Briar 23 (12)

outstanding blend.

i was worried seeing as boswell is renowned for their aromatics and i dont care for aromatics all that much but this blend is truly delicious.

it has an unusually sticky casing for an english blend and a a very sweet sugary aroma in the pouch. its black as night with little specks of occasional virginia.

so delicious i dare to say its my new favorite tobacco.

i enjoy mixing different blends together and really enjoyed this mixed with Russ Oullettes Anniversary Kake and Boswells Christmas cookie.

edit: when purchasing remember this stuff is wet and gooey. so add an extra ounce to your order or youll think youre getting jipped. 2 oz. of this really looks like 1.25 oz.

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

As I normally smoke aromatics I had doubts on ordering this blend, but however since it's an aromatic american english I opted for a small sample of this tobacco. Out of the bag it smells very nice. Campfire-y like. Burns well, no relights to write home about and a flavour that will absolutely astonish your senses.

Man... This tobacco might be one of the best ones out there and I am completely hooked on it. Aroma's of campfire, pine, forests and then a little incense-like whiff of Nag Champa incense. Man-oh-man, this is yummy!

Room note is excellent if you are into this flavour and smell, for other parts of your family it will be too strong in the long run and the aroma stays for a long time. I like it, but still I get to smoke this weed outdoors because of consideration towards the other household members.

*Re-evaluating my reviews now that I've had a little more smoking under my belt... ...This goes down to "just" recommended, not that it's bad, I just reserve 4 stars to the real star blends!

SammyBirdland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SammyBirdland (2)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The perfect blend of sweetness and rich Latakia flavor. I enjoy smoking this one on a regular basis.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

What a beautiful smoke. My wife likes the room note and I absolutely love the taste. What more could you ask for in a blend? Exactly. Do yourself a favor and give the Boswell family a call and order yourself some of this perfect blend. It doesn't get any better than this my friends. In 20 years from now, people will be talking about this blend as people are talking about the Dunhill blends now. Absolutely the best English blend i have and will ever smoke, funny that it's made in America. Instant classic. Essential purchase.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A good English blend. No bite, smooth and smokey fragrant. Has a sweetness in the smoke that I guess is from the cavendish. I'd put this in the middle of the road for English blends. A nice english, just didn't scratch my itch for an English. Update; As with some blends I revisit I come up liking it better and it happend with this blend. I will add that the sample I recieved from Boswell's had a small half burned wood chip in the tobacco. Is this how Boswell's produces this wonderful blend or did this chip come from a distant Arab land? Doesn't matter to me much, I like this blend a lot.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (24)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

As October begins I find myself loading up a Becker Morta pipe with this baccy. I must edit my previous review as in a Morta wood pipe---well this stuff rocks. As I loaded up MANY bowls of this I noted that first---after the charring light, I noted a spicey flavor, and smokey taste I love in Latakia tobaccos. This continued through out MANY mid bowls right down to the finish. Folks if you like English blends, and or those tobaccos that seem to take you to the far off forest---this is a must try tobacco. I cannot say enough how much I enjoy it---well maybe I can--several pounds of it have been through my pipe--several more in the cellar------------won't be without this at any point. My Becker Morta with this stuff in it----pipegasm!!!!!!

youngpipelungs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
youngpipelungs (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Of the three Tobaccos I gave a trial run to today, This one was by far the best.

My best friend said it smelled like someone was outside with a bbq going, using mesquite wood to cook something.

I detect a hint of some woodsy flavor, but not overpowering.

Makes me feel like I'm a gruff woodsman living on the land and building a log cabin while wearing flannel shirts.

GOOD STUFF. !

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

There's not much more that can be said about this blend than has not already been said below. It smells like Dunhill My Mixture 965 in the pouch. It tastes and smells like Dunhill My Mixture 965 when smoked - although it does not get as peppery at the bottom of the bowl, and not as much Vitamin N - which lovers of milder blends will appreciate. Good stuff. An English blend that actually gets compliments for the room note. The pouch note when it arrived in my mailbox was strongly of chocolate (after a few weeks, that goes away, however). I thought, "oh no, a flavored blend." But when smoked, there is no flavor or scent of chocolate at all - just smooth, quality tobacco. Coarse cut loads easy. No need to dry out. Even with the latakia, it does not get too peppery at the end. Just about perfect.

Corncob Mechanic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob Mechanic (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I really love this stuff! The boys at Boswell's really hit one out of the park with this mixture. Smokey, nutty, slightly sweet, spicy yet mellow - never gets boring. Absolutely heavenly in my old Missouri Meerschaum. A great outdoors smoke – like while fishing, camping or just chillin by a fire. If you've not tried Northwoods yet then get on the stick. Give the friendly guys at Bowell's a call! But take my word for it...order more than a sample...you'll thank me for it.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (28)

Absolutely superb. Without a doubt this is one of my favorite, and I mean favorite English Blends.

My experience with this blend is that it is totally addictive. Although I have a lot of other English Blends on hand - I have consistently been smoking this Blend every night as a nightcap for the last 2 weeks.

If you like an English that has a wonderful complexity, is full on the palate, has beautiful notes of toasted virginias, cavendish, and latakia - then this one will rock you.

The tobacco has no bite. No pipe funk in the bowl or in the mouth. And I am sure - one's significant others will notice - that unlike other strong English Blends - one does not suffer from Godzilla Breath after the fact.

While full on the palate - one empties one's bowl only wishing there was a little more time to load up one's pipe again. The Boswell's really got this one right. Highly Recommended.

jcohio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jcohio (4)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Simply said, I love this blend. I ordered a 2 oz sample, which only lasted me a few days. Tomorrow I will order at least a half pound or more. I ranked this blend as medium to full in the taste category, but that was only due to the latakia enhanced finish. There is a slight sweetness to this blend, kind of like one sugar cube in a double espresso, just kind of round off the rough edges if you know what I mean.

Rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustica (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very very nice. Good rich, pungent latakias in here but not overly done. Nice mellow toasty virgnias providing balance and body. Almost as full bodied as I remember 965 being but with the same slightly sweet undertones as Crown Achievement. My first Boswell's blend and I'm probably going to be ordering plenty more for cellaring. A solid full bodied English blend that's only slightly too monotone to recieve a fourth star but worth ordering by the pound.

HotSoup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HotSoup (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Creamy and subtle sweetness; puff slow to get the full flavor and its a good full creamy taste that progresses.

when i first got this in the mail it had a soapy taste and smell after about two weeks it dissipates.

this is a tobacco that grows on you.

EHATHAWAY Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EHATHAWAY (4)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Better than 965. Yea, I said it! and I mean it!!! Boswell blends are without a doubt the best in America. And when you try Nothwoods, you will see why!I wish I could give you a more detailed review here, but there is not enough space to describe all the elements in this blend. So I will just leave you with this, If you want the best American Latakia blend out there, then you can't go wrong here.

Nickandhispipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nickandhispipe (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I usually smoke Aromatics but I love a good full flavor tobacco. I ordered and ounce of this and after 3 bowls I am in love. It has just to right amount of smokiness a mesquite flavor but the Latakia is creamy and smooth. Lit easily and smoked extremely cool, no bite that is for sure.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Medium to Strong Strong Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In my opinion, the top of the line when it comes to an English blend. Very smooth and creamy, no bite, and a full, rich satisfying flavor. Just the right amount of Latakia and the Virginia adds a nice smoky finish. You really can't go wrong with trying any of the Boswell blends, the aromatics are outstanding as well.

Hopkins1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hopkins1 (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is good for two things.

If you want to smoke a nice creamy latakia...get it.

ALso if your looking to blend a sweeter version of an english, this makes a great base.

I have used this in blending my own blends for about a year now. Adding a bit of perique, and virginias can really sweeten the smoke and add a bit of a punch at the end.

The taste by itself is full and strong. If you love a small dose of latakia this if for you, but if you are one of those seekers of the 70% latakia blends, try something different.

4 stars in my book.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

Looking for a full taste, heavy on the palate, light on the throat, easy to smoke, conforting english blend? This is it. A little more nicotine would make it perfect.

I find the latakia used in this very similar to the one used on McClelland's Frog Morton series... it has a sweet note that usually is not found on european made latakia blends. For me, latakia blends made in the US work as a nice change of pace.

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I wasn't going to review this since I'm not an English smoker. I may love aromatics, but I lean towards the ones that balance flavor and sweetness with the natural tobacco flavors. I enjoy the bolder, fuller bodied aromatics mostly and could be why I like this blend. I have to say is this is good enough to tempt me to try out more of Boswell's english blends. Northwoods burns cool, YOU CAN'T MAKE IT BITE! It's full bodied and tasty, yet as smooth as velvet. There is also a sweetness to it later in the bowl, very subtle. It's a pleasure to smoke. I can't say much about the room note, but it's not your typical aroma. To me I don't think it's any worse than a mild cigar. It's defenatley different and noticable, but not stinky or pungent. Very impressive for my first try at an Eglish blend. I find myself wanting to smoke it again and again.

It's a nice mix up for later in the day. I was about to toss a small Savoy Dr. Grabow pipe that I never smoked but I ended up keeping it to smoke this blend and any other English's I try...they go well together since I don't think I could smoke a big bowl of this at one time, but for a quick smoke they are both perfect. Also on relights it's better than any aromatic, it always tastes fresh and no aftertaste. It's different, but is so good. It's rich, full bodied, bold and smokey and so full of flavor. I find every bowl of it to put a smile on my face and I find it so interesing...mabye not so complex but it defenately has a whole lot going for it. It's nice to have a smoke that is so tasty, consistant and full of flavor. Sometimes with aromatics, they are just that...very aromatic for the people around you and not so enjoyable for you while smoking. I feel I'm developing a taste for the actual tobaccos and looking forward to trying other English blends. This made a beliver out of me. Maybe not at first, but it did for sure.

Rev. Avery Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Avery (9)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

I have to say that Northwoods is unbelievably wonderful. From the reviews Ive read and watched I was concerned it might be too strong. But after Dan sent some as a sample & I was hooked. It is by far my absolute favorite. It is a full flavor that is very smooth. No bite whatsoever. Because I want to constantly enjoy the flavor I find that I have to slow myself down between puffs. Its fantastic! Thanks Dan.

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

If you like English blends, try this one. If you've never had an English blend, try this one. Absolutely delicious! Cool smoking, stoves to a different but pleasing flavor, stays lit and satisfies completely. If you draw some moisture into your mouth from the bowl it doesn't even taste bad. The 2oz. sample I purchased is a little moist but I wanted to smoke it right away so I got some gurgle out of it but it was not bothersome at all. I like this tobacco so much that I bought a pound of it just this morning. I don't see me being without Northwoods in my supply cabinet ever! The way I got hooked is a buddy of mine lent me a pipe to try (a Magnum) to see if I liked the pipe style. Upon smoking the pipe I picked up the ghost of something interesting. When I asked him what he'd been smoking in that pipe he said "Northwoods". I called Boswell the next day and ordered two ounces to try. I'm in love! In the recommendation field there was no "OMG" selection so I went with Highly Recommended.

Alpedhuez55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alpedhuez55 (4)

I am a fan of a lot of Latakia blends like C&D DaVinci and CAO Old Ironsides. But this is far and away my favorite.

Like others have noted, it is virtually impossible to get this to bite, even when moist. THe Latakia flavor is strong. It is for Latakia lovers only. Burns nice, usually do not need to relight.

This is a must try for any Latakia lover!!!

darkmoto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
darkmoto (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like Northwoods alot. Has some nice flavor smokes well and dry, Does not bite even with me being a fast puffer. It has a nice sweetness to it which at first I didnt expect but really it has grown on me after smoking about 8oz in a couple of large pipes.

paintyouup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paintyouup (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My first Boswell's experience as well as English, and it is great! Like a lot of pipe smokers I started off with aromatics, and they were all unique in there own way. Hearing a lot about Boswells I thought I would branch out to an English blend and Northwoods came to me as a pleasant surprise. A nice smooth flavor and clean finish, as well as a milder aroma than once thought. Northwoods is a great blend especially for those looking to start smoking English, but be careful, it will take you away from your aromatics. Enjoy.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I just realized that readers, while hopefully taking everything not only that I write but what every other reviewer writes with a grain of salt (opinions being what they are!), they should take special note of my grading in the Room Note category. I'm not married and I grade this not on how others feel but how I feel about the room note. :) This one smells good!

This is a very nice heavy English blend. I know that Dunill Nightcap, another heavy english, has a large following but I have to say that, for me, this Boswell blend succeeded where Nightcap failed. It's a full flavored blend with a harmonious exchange between the latakia and the other tobaccos. Everything melded very well and the flavor was sharper, not dulled by the "infighting" I find with Nightcap.

As others have mentioned, there was a nice sweetness amidst its very masculine powerful taste. This may be an offensive lineman of a blend but it can also put on a tux and act refined and elegant. If you like a lot of latakia flavor but don't want your tongue melted and confused, try this one. Boswell really nailed what I believe they were going after. So why 3 stars instead of 4? Well, what I think they were trying to achieve is not "quite" what I seek in a blend. Durn close, though! But not close enough to replace the main English blends in my rotation. On the other hand, I'll be buying more of this, albeit in smaller batches.

august_west Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
august_west (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I started smoking a pipe a little over a year ago and have smoked mostly English blends along with some "Balkan" blends as well. Recently I have been enjoying some aromatic blends too. This blend, to me, seems like a bridge to or from English blends. There is a subtle sweetness and aroma that I haven't put my finger on yet, but it really is a smooth smoking blend.

I have been smoking this in one of my meerschaum pipes. I will try this tobacco in a briar to see how the flavor profile compares. The Boswell family is a real class act, wonderful friendly service, and excellent pipes and tobacco blends!

pipewelder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewelder (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

After getting 3 ozs. of this tobacco, I will have to say that Boswell has a wonderful English blend here. Plenty of Latakia without being overbearing.The blend IMO is smooth without any bite what so ever. An easy 4 stars here

rstrawsb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rstrawsb (6)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a great blend. It's an english blend with plenty of latikia. It's full and smokey, has a slight sweetness and I can't imagine it ever biting. The female comments were not favorable, but the guys rave about it.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

Northwoods is a full Latakia blend that has just the slightest hint of sweetness, perhaps from a bit of Cavendish in the mix. The dominant flavor, however, is the rich fullness of the Latakia, pleasing the palate with its' creamy, smoky presence. It is a favorite late evening blend of mine.

It packs, lights, and burns well. The moisture content of the tobacco as delivered is just about perfect for me. It does have a strong room note, as do most full Latakia blends. While I wouldn't rate the aroma as being as strong as Pirate Kake or Penzance, it probably won't win you any friends among non-smokers. It leaves no dottle in the pipe, burning down to a fine mottled ash.

It is a pretty expensive tobacco, selling for $3/oz. or $48/lb. This reflects the quality of the base tobaccos and the reality of tobacco prices and taxes today.

Scores for Northwoods: taste- 17 of 20; lighting and burn- 8 of 10; value- 7 of 10. 32 points equals a ** rating and another winner for J.M. Boswell.

Edit, Feb., 2011. Boswell's have increased the price of their tobaccos substantially. This is an industry wide trend but Northwoods is now up to $60/lb. I can't in good faith award a 7 ot of 10 for value any more, it is 6 of 10. That lowers the score to 31 and equals a * rating.

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)
Mild Very Strong Mild Strong

The worst English blend I have tried. It tastes and smells to me as if it has been treated with a really cloying sweet licorice. English lovers stay away though folks looking for a weird "sweet-English" hybrid may find it interesting.

TOMMYBIRD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TOMMYBIRD (4)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Northwoods is to Boswell as Nightcap is to Dunhill.

This is a delicious full flavored latakia blend that will piss off your wife, neighbors, non-smokers, and anyone who does not have an appreciation for this kind of tobacco smoke.

I love it. It is a cool, extra smooth and creamy smoke. Lot's of natural latakia flavor with some virginia and perhaps the smallest touch of black cavendish to balance it out.

Perfect for winter time smoking. Great for after dinner or with red wine or scotch.