A wonderful black cavendish with burley and Virginia added. A full aromatic with vanilla, chocolate and arrow root as the flavorings. Very cool smoking witha almost no residue. Reminiscent of the old "BENGAL MIXTURE".

BrandRich's
Blended BySteven Books
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Vanilla
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
stephano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stephano (3)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Too many "marriage savers" out there either leave a residue, or are just over-the- top sweet. WOZ is a lovely combination of cased aromatic along with a good hit of tobacco flavor from the burly and virginia.

I generally fall in 1 of 2 camps at the end of the day; Penzance or Granddad. The latter is another offering from Rich's, and is a bit lighter on the casing, with a lovely tobacco taste. WOZ is really for that day when you are not only in the mood for some Granddad, but also for some dessert.

To say that this tobacco smokes cool is an understatement. Also, if you have a heavily-cased aromatic briar in your collection, this is the way to flavor it even further. I have a Savinelli so heavily ghosted with WOZ that I have yet to need to do a salt treatment on it. It is as sweet as the day I started flavoring it 10 years ago.

So, to sum up, this tobacco is not an everyday or all day smoke. If you try to avoid sweet, you might want to try Granddad instead of this one. Still, give WOZ a whirl if you are in the Portland area*. You might not love it, but you really can't hate it.

*Obviously they will ship to you as well. No online ordering though. Seriously Rich's... come on; it is 2011.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (26)

Without a doubt I love WOZ. There is a lot going on in this blend - lots of different flavors that make there presence known as one goes through a bowl of tobacco - I get vanilla, brown sugar, rum, and something else - I would probably say arrow root - although that is something I have never smoked before - so let's leave it at an herbacious flavor - unknown but very tasty. The blend smokes well - never overheats and burns to a fine ash. The flavors keep coming throughout the bowl. Every time I smoke this blend - I get something totally different in tast. Truly amazing.

Now about the legal issue brought up distinguishedgentleman in his review. I am totally on board with his comments regarding Portland Oregon Laws. Never have I encountered so many - "we can't do thats" in dealing with a tobacco vendor. So don't even ask for "Samples" or even "matches" for god's sake.

Great tobacco - rather - a disapointing first encounter with a tobacco shop. However, my frustration should not deter you from trying Bill Books (or is it Brooks?) fine blends.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'm moving more and more away from aromatics and into virginias. But WOZ will always have a place in my rotation. It smokes very easily. No bite no matter how hard you puff. It tastes sweet but not too sweet, and the arrow root gives it an earthy, and almost herbal finish. An interesting and unique blend.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried this once back when I was smoking aromatics, it was ok, it might have been one of the last aromatics I smoked, I just can't handle casings in my good briars. I wanted to speak to the side of State of Oregon Law though. There are some pretty dumb laws, one recently passed that damned near made smoke shops no smoking zones, it passed the house but the senate insisted that established smoke shops and cigar bars be excluded. However, of the big four smoke shops I frequent in this town, richs is the only one I know of that doesn't have a walk in humidor and a few years back they did have one. Cascade Cigar, just up the street from me has a five hundred square foot walk in humidor, granted someone is usually in there to keep folks from pawing the or palming the cigars but there isn't anyone stopping you. As far as pipes go, it's a been a while since I travelled around the states extensively, though I grew up between chicago and Detroit, but I';m having a hard time remembering any smoke shop that, outside of basket pipes and corn cobs, have high grade pipes just sitting out. I'm pretty sure that has more to do with theft and the pipes value than any law prohibiting an open display. I like Richs alot, it has a lot of character, I hope they didn't tell you a lack of walkin humidor was Oregon Law though. Not trying to be difficult or even demonstrate local pride, there are some dumb anti-smoking laws here, but not anymore than elsewhere in the states.

akaduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaduck (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'm a huge fan of "Bill's Blend" and asked for something like Bill's, but a little different. I was immediately impressed. Wonderfully complex with almost no bite. Can be smoked any time or even all day. I know I will continue to enjoy this blend in the pipe my girlfriend bought me.

My only complaint is that, fresh out of the bag, it was a little wet smoking. Be sure you keep a pipe cleaner or two handy.

Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

While visiting Portland, Oregon on Labor day I happened upon this little tobacco shop in the downtown area. A very quaint shop dedicated to periodicals an tobaccos.I immediately asked what their most unusual aromatic might be. I told blender Steve Books that I loved an old blend from the 70's called "BENGAL MIXTURE". He promptly respnded "Try Woz". This is almost an exact replica of that blend from yesteryear. It is very sweet and luscious. There are so many flavors going on in the bowl it makes your head spin. I think the addition of arrow root is what gives it a distinct flavor. It burns very cool with almost no gurgle.It has a very cocoa/nougat flavor with some spice added in. This is a full aromatic and will win friends among non- smokers quickly. For the die hard tobacco purist this is not a blend he or she would enjoy. The store Manager Bill and blender Steve make this a great little store. I also met some local Portland pipers and they were a bunch of great guys. I will be trying many other blends from Rich's soon. This gets 3.5 of 4 aromatic stars.========= As an unfortunate side note- Oregon has 1 of the dumbest laws in th United States. There is no self service regarding tobacco- TRANSLATED - that means no Walk-in Humidor,no tasting a bowl of pipe tobacco w/o being helped, and no handling of pipes unless assisted by store staff. Luckily, Steve and Bill make it a pleasant experience.