A new pipe tobacco from A&C Peterson designed with Mark Twain in mind. Made with selected choice tobaccos, this blend has a striking, rich aroma. A wonderful Danish style aromatic, with great taste and no bite.

Notes: Now made by the Sutliff Tobacco Company under their banner as per Smoking Pipes website: "Previously known as an A&C Peterson blend, No.150 Mark Twain now flies under the Sutliff banner. A Danish-style aromatic, this mix of black Cavendish, Burley, and Virginia is known for its creamy aromatic flavors and mild strength, making for an easy smoke and a pleasing room note."

Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The grassy, citrusy Virginia forms the base for the blend. The nutty, earthy, molasses sweet burley plays a secondary role. The unsweetened black cavendish provides some brown sugar . The toppings sublimate the tobaccos to a great extent, and caramel seems to be the most prominent one followed by a little vanilla and sugar, an undercurrent of marshmallow, and a touches of cinnamon, nutmeg, and spice. The strength level is a step shy of the center of mild to medium, while the taste is slightly past that mark. The nic-hit is very mild. Won’t bite or get harsh. May need a light dry time. Burns cool and clean and slightly slow with a mostly consistent, creamy sweet bakery store flavor from start to finish. I say “mostly” because the toppings slightly weaken toward the finish. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a very pleasant after taste, and can be an all day smoke.

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (15)

Surprisingly balanced bulk blend.

I took a trip out to California and needed some toby (and matches damn you, TSA) while I was there. Took a chance on a fine smelling aromatic and was pleasantly surprised at how daggum danish this blend turned out to be.

I smoked it outside in the presence of non-smokers and all agreed that it smelled quite nice. Tasted nice too. Nothing exceptional but it would make a solid go-to aromatic.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Supermate 1025

Purchased From: Olde Towne Smoke Shoppe - Temecula, CA

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - No. 150 Mark Twain.

This one's been a bit of a pain to get hold of. Not due to the availability of it, more because of my rubbish memory; every time I've put through an order with smokingpipes.com over the past six months I've been meaning to order some but only remembered as soon as I've clicked the end button on the payment page! I finally ordered some so here are my thoughts on it:

The pouch contains various different cuts and sizes, it's not just ribbons alone. The only real smell, aside from the tobaccos', is a caramel sweetness. There looks to be a little less Black Cavendish compared to the Burley and Virginia.

I like the flavour of the smoke, it's just like the pouch-note had me expecting: the tobaccos' come over in a mild fashion and there's an obvious caramel/sweet topping; to me, this qualifies as dead-on medium in weight. The smoke itself is very palpable and feels almost heavy against my palate. The temperature's cool and the description's correct about the bite: none. Mark Twain gives a good burn, with quite a steady flavour throughout a bowl.

On the room-note I'm with the majority: very pleasant, and I'll also go with the general consensus on nicotine: mild.

I think this is a very nice smoke:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Racing Green #221

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

In Theory,is a Danish Mixture: Sweet Virginia with Sweet Cavendish Tobaccos.

During smoking, in the Pipe, it evolves a creamy smoke with a very good rom note, but is basic this...

In my re-avaluation, it may be good for begginers,or for people that enjoy low Nicotine ammount.

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (40)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Mark Twain No.150 is first off a beautiful blend of beautiful high grade tobaccos and visually looks awesome, that's one thing I absolutely love about this pipe tobacco blend besides the smell, I always have my nose in this one to because it smells so dang good. Now I'm going to pack and light up a good pipe of Mark Twain and do the best I can at a honest review on how I perceive this wonderfully made mixture and it truly is a fine aromatic. When I opened the bag I stuck my nose in it and took a big sniff and the first thing I smelled was a coconut chocolate sweet smell I was really surprised. It even crossed my mind that it reminded me of the slight odor of Parrot Bay or something serious I was a little thrown back by it because the description was nothing like the smells I got upon first smells. I just lit the pipe and starting to smoke and ya I taste a light coconut and a liquor of some type but I can't tell if its rum or not you would haft to be the judge of that but its there that I can tell you. Now ive noticed right now its the Cavendish in this that puts out the chocolate taste, its really light which is a good thing but its there and taste really good. This blend is pretty close to Mac Barens Seven Seas Royal that just came to thought, I just got back from sniffing the jar and yep, very interesting I can't believe I didn't put that one together until now. This stuff is so smooth and so sweet and the topping is just perfect, all the tobaccos are in perfect harmony with this one and there really is no dominant in this blend they all work together (I'm sipping and tasting-sipping and tasting) and that's what I get here, a tobacco blend that works as one. Very velvety and a super soft buttery smoke, it has nutty tones in it for sure but in a sweet creamy way. Mark Twain does not have a strong natural tobacco taste but you can still tell its tobacco cause they don't use junk in this mixture so that reflects, I was told the room note smells like a nice old school sweet pipey tobaccoy smell and very pleasant. The nicotine level for this is on the low side but its far about that with this anyway because its about the enjoyment of the taste. The taste stays pretty consistent and midway down the bowl here the taste of tobacco comes through now but its smooth and is staying very sweet and light, this aromatic is very well behaved, no tounge bite or awful steam its been a pleasant smoke (actual smoke) and has that nice undertone of chocolate behind the scenes here that tastes very nice. I'm gonna finish my pipe now, I highly recommend Sutliffs Mark Twain good job!!! This is a fabulous aromatic that I give two thumbs up and I do like MB 7 Seas Royal alot BUT I love Mark Twain alot more and it made my top ten aromatics list plus its a good price and easy on the wallet which is a huge plus.I am going to smoke some 7 Seas Royal after this bowl so I can ponder on it, I love smoking the pipe so much. If your new to pipe smoking this aromatic is really good, I wish I would of discovered it sooner but at least I found and smoked it finally. Thanks for reading my review, I write them out with great joy so you who reads them can enjoy a potential new pipe tobacco, have a good evening and God bless all you fellow pipe smokers. TABAK!!!

Pipe Used: CnS Pipe #12 and FE.RO

Age When Smoked: 39

Similar Blends: Mac Barens 7 Seas Royal.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (24)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I think I expected something special from this tobacco because of all the glowing reviews. What I received was too moist, so I left the bag open all night, and then left it open for a few weeks. Surprisingly, it did not dry out and the steaminess interferes with the flavor. Add to this that it smokes hot and is just a bit sludgey. No nic hit, which is good.

I wanted to like it because, doggone it, who doesn't like Mark Twain, but it just has not compared well to my favorites, Carter Hall, Frog Morton's Cellar, and Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. Two stars.

I left the bag open for several months and it dried out enough to be smokable. My rating goes up to 2-1/2 stars.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the bag, and left open to dry

Purchased From: in bulk from smoking pipes.com

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Unnoticeable

Another plain straightforward tobacco. Didn?t thrill me.

UncleSquinty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleSquinty (26)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliffe No. 150 Mark Twain

I bought this on a 20% off sale on Sutliffe bulk from Pipes & Cigars. I am always looking for a replacement for my beloved but these days expensive Carter Hall. This might do, although the toppings are just a bit heavy handed. Just a bit. I'll be the fourth 3-star rating for this tobacco.

In the pouch the mix feels too moist to burn properly, and I aired this for 20 minutes at 34% relative room humidity and 72 degrees F./22.2 deg. C. Even after drying, this tobacco still seemed to be very moist, although it loaded into the pipe without fuss and caught fire easily. One charring light, one real light and a re-ignite about 2/3 down the bowl. I will dry this longer for my second bowl. Yes, this review was written on first impressions.

Bag note is scrumptuous, rich with bakery notes, sweet bread, nutmeg. cinnamon and even a wee hint of clove.

While the aromas don't translate 100% into taste in the mouth, the aromas are readily apparent with retrohaling, French inhaling and other smoke play. Mouth feel is a creamy, medium bodied affair. The room note wins friends, even among anti-tobacco activists. I find this best smoked in a filtered pipe, as it did smoke a bit wet for my liking. I'll be eager to see how this performs after being dried for an hour or so. I'll let you know.

Leaves a very pleasant room note, aftertaste, beard aroma...and just a bit of goopy sludge, especially if smoked too hard and fast. This won't bite, although my tongue is now a bit numb after the first bowl.

While this isn't in my top 10, nor is it in my short list of desert island tobaccos, it is a stellar offering from Sutliffe and well worth even the non-discounted bulk price. Recommended. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Cobbs: this will ghost a favorite briar.

Age When Smoked: Fresh bulk

Purchased From: P&C on a 20% off Sutliffe bulk promotion

Similar Blends: Carter Hall meets Grandma's baking spices.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

MT is somewhat wetter than most danish aros I'm used to, but it's a pretty good smoke with a superb baking dessert room note. The bag aroma is amazing as well. The smoke is creamy and bite free, and I pick up mostly flavors of vanilla, caramel, faint cinnamon, and touches of cocoa. There's a little gurgle but I haven't ever found the blend to burn hot or harsh. Overall, I find MT to be a nice change of pace blend with a holiday sort of feel and a delicious aroma that allows me to smoke indoors when it's freezing cold out.

Pipe Used: MM Wizard cobbit

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

dustoff56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dustoff56 (10)
Mild None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

To me the smell doesn't equal taste. Doesn't strike me as an aromatic. Not bad of a blend of you want smooth but no flavoring. When I smoke aromatic I want flavor and this doesn't have it. Not a bad smoke but not my cup of tea.