A subtle mix of Danish Dark Cavendish, Burley and Virginia enriched with matured Samsun from Turkey. Vanilla flavours created the soft sweetness and fruity character of the blend. Rich in contrast and with a perfect balanced of aroma

BrandStanwell
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

SouthBound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SouthBound (10)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

I usually smoke at least a whole tin of something before I review it. This time, I couldn't bear the olfactory torture. The only taste I could discern from the time I lit the bowl was a sour-vegetable-like note that barely mellowed during the smoke. At first, I thought something I ate caused it. So, I dumped that bowl, and came back to it the next day after a bowl of Kendal Kentucky. The KK tasted like it always does, and the Stanewell Vanilla was still a sour wretched mess. Therefore, based only on 2 half bowls (hey, I'm a coward, okay?) I'm tanking this one. Easily the worst blend I've ever tried.

Pipe Used: cob, briar

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Excellent tin aroma translates pretty well to flavor in the bowl. Good blending and base tobaccos are evident. After things settle down from the single light after the char, the vanilla (and hint of semi-sweet chocolate?) tone down to a pleasant background, with very good pure tobacco flavors coming through. Smokes cool and dry all the way down. Performs extremely well in the churchwarden. 3+.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Churchwarden, Stanwell, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin date 20-JAN-2012

Purchased From: The Briary, Homewood, AL

jlmdoval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlmdoval (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I confess I was disappointed by this one… Extreme artificial flavour out of the tin box, almost no vanilla flavour while smoking and a very discrete aroma. Left an "ash-like" taste in my mouth. I will try it drier in the next time.

On the other hand, it smokes well, no tongue bite and burns completely to the end, no gurgling whatsoever. That is my opinion…

REVISITED AFTER 1 MONTH: It greatly improved after cellaring. The artificial taste has dwindled to the point of being tolerable and even agreeable.

Based on how much I liked Malange, and I love MB Vanilla Cream, i thought I would give this a try and expected to really like it. While it is a mild, nice smelling blend that lights very well and stays lit, there is a tartness to it that was very unexpected in a vanilla blend. i think of vanilla blends as very soft with the sweet taste of vanilla wafting through. This one has that but has the added flavor that I am at a loss to identify but it left my mouth very dry and with a sourness on my palette. It is very nice in the tin, a mix of black cavendish a and medium brown in a ribbon cut. It is not neccessary to dry it out and it loadeds very well in my pipe. It is like the Melange where it is not a typical aromatic in that it leaves no moisture or goopiness in the pipe and smokes all the way down the pipe to a fine grey ash. Nothing about the tin aroma eludes to the tartness when smoked, it smells like a vanilla blend should smell. I cannot five it more than two stars though as it just is not what I expected and enjoy. I don't like the tartness at all. But it is a nice quality leaf and if one is predisposed to liking the tartness, it would be a great blend. It that ingredient were left out of the blending, it would be a great one of it's type.

Stagr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stagr (5)

A very nice selection of tobacco scented with vanilla in a very nice proportion. Smokes dry and quite cool and the taste goes almost through out the bowl. It is a little bit hard to light due to its cut, but when it gets started there is no problem. Leaves a small mess in the bowl and filter an odd stickiness in the bowl mostly. Pleasant and familiar room note, without any ghosting of the pipe. Overall a good vanilla tobacco for the aromatics fan, easy to find, reasonably priced that could have a place in smokers rotation.

Pipe Used: Hilson

puffcloud Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puffcloud (11)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Usually I'm not a huge fan of otc tobbaccos, I find them common and boring. I love the over saturated special editions that bloom with flavor and exaggerated notes. This time I will make an exception. After opening the pouch the aroma is proper, although not very vanilla-ish. However after lighting and first few puffs the vanilla is very articulated. This tobacco is incredibly full of vanilla - wonderfully rich and scrumptious. Room note is quite pleasant, my more significant half scored it a 4 out of 5 (which knowing her is outstanding). I will definitely go back to it. A very, very good tobacco indeed. Small issues with getting the right moisture content right, but that happens from time to time.

scottser32 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottser32 (1)

this is my first tobacco, iv only started smoking and i have fallen in love with this its really nice, its a very easy smoking tobacco. the smell from the pack is a little sickly but once lit and smoking its lovely, i have also tried provost which is highly recommended and using this a comparison i think its quality, very different yes but i think id pick it over the provost, this may because im only a new smoker. definitly recommend this to new smokers or anyone who loves an aromatic

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)

I smoke that from the beginning as a "sidekick" for other blends. The cut is straight, taste the same as very mild vanilla, V good enough, burley great, turkish unnoticeable,cav at the end of the bowl always... Is good for relaxing times and decent meetings. No punch,no tong bite (even in short pipes), no eyes widening, somehow a polite puff all around. In a lazy afternoon is one of the best boredom time distraction. PS. let it dry a little in the bowl and will burn evenly to the end.

Pipedoctor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedoctor (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Hands down, my favorite vanilla aromatic ever. In all honesty though, I only tried 5 blends of vanilla. But it doesn't matter, because I enjoy smoking this so much that I have kept it strictly for special occasions. (Because tobaccos are hard to acquire where I'm from, and I only have 1 tin of this) . Amazing sweetness, and actual vanilla taste, not that overwhelming vanilla bean flavor you get with mac baren's vanilla cream.. Highly recommend this for aromatic lovers.

Cragganmore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cragganmore (6)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I started smoking a pipe fairly recently and did so with this tobacco. My original idea of pipe smoking was to smoke aromatics exclusively so as to not plague my surrounding loved ones. I have since then decided on going with a more "to hell with them, I'm smoking what ever I damn well please" approach... but I digress.

The tin offers a almost sickeningly sweet scent with promises of apricots and vanilla. The vanilla carries through in the room note but I struggle to find it in the taste. I get a vaguely fruity taste of undefinably origin mixed in with sugary virginia. Mild and sweet, simply put. A "ok" tobacco in terms of quality, taste and room note... calling it vanilla is a bit of a stretch of the imagination though. I also find that it leaves a very dry, ashen taste in my mouth after I've finished a bowl which isn't all too pleasant.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the 1st Stanwell for me and the 1st really great vanilla. Upon opening it was just what I wanted. Not a sickening sweet vanilla but a real vanilla. Not sticky, not hot but just right to get again and keep in rotation.

MountainYeti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MountainYeti (4)

This is another Go To aromatic in my collection. If you are a fan of vanilla hints and fine tobacco this is a good one to try.

In the Tin

A strange but not unpleasant tin note. I expected a heavy vanilla extract smell but instead I am meet with a mild vanilla and a fruity scent, apricot perhaps? Whatever it is this tin smells great. The tobacco is a blend of light and dark making a very visually appealing blend that is not very heavily cased. The tin was rather moist but a few hours with the lid open solved that problem.

The Pack and Toast

This blend is a little sticky when packing. I found rolling it in my palm helped reduced some of the stickiness (and now my palm smells great!!) The toast revealed a large range of unexpected flavor. First and foremost is the tobaccos themselves but the vanilla and fruity flavors come a close second. Right after toasting I thought the flavoring might be a little much.

The Rest

After a second light the flavors settled nicely. No longer was there a heavy flavor but now a subtle one that seemed to change as the bowl burned down. Vanilla at first then the Virgina and Turkish. All the while a slight fruity sweetness in the background. This was a great smoke from start to finish but it is pretty sweet and will not be an every day smoke. Once a week instead of a sweet treat after dinner perhaps.

A good one for any aro smoker

Checkm8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkm8 (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is becoming my "standard" tin. I've been trying stuff and looking for something simple that is never disagreeable and does not require a "mood" to smoke. Something that those around me can appreciate and something that is not prohibitively expensive to just burn through.

Stanwell Vanilla is this blend I believe. It does not readily sting the mouth, has a wonderful aroma, smokes well, and is overall just smooth. Pair this up with a Coke and you've got quite the treat! You can find this online for around 6 bucks a tin, so it's not going to break the bank to stock up and always have one around.

It definitely has more fruit to it than you would expect for a "vanilla" but it's good, it gives it character I think. I would recommend this to anyone who's looking for something to have around as a go to smoke or to take about town when with mixed company.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (12)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I honestly expected a stronger vanilla smell/taste with this tobacco. I had tried Melange a couple of months ago and loved it, so I thought I'd try a vanilla. Smells sweet and nice in the tin, though, as I said not very vanilla-y. Tastes great though it does bite if you're not careful, especially in a smaller bowl. But to me it tastes like Melange without so much apricot flavor. Of course I still have not learned to taste properly, maybe I have really dull taste buds. I still can't taste any the flavors my peers claim to taste at wine tastings, and I've been drinking wine for decades. Anyway, I do know what I like, and this is a good tasting tobacco, though probably I will stick to the Melange when I want a sweet smoke.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)

Strange. An interesting and pleasant smoke yet not a knock out. The label says "vanilla" but the smell of the trobaco in the tin is fruity: Apricot, coconut a touch of orange and vanilla. Smokes well with little to no tongue bite. Not a goopy cased blend. The smoking taste is balanced between the fruity/vannila and the tobacco taste which is enjoyable for those who like tobacco. ;-) Strange tart finish to the puff and eventually the bowl. Does taste a bit like vannila when smoked but the dominant flavor is fruity. While it might not have a predominant vanilla taste that's not necessarily a bad thing in a pipe world of a million vanilla blends. (Because my tin tastes so "fruity", I am wondering if my tin of "Vanilla" was mislabeled and is really a tin of "melange." I'll know for sure when I test the tin of "melange" in my cellar.)

A very nice, smooth enjoyable aromatic which deserves a solid three stars especially for the currennt market price.

Update: I am now smoing some "melange" and I can say Stanwell's "vanilla" blend tastes fruitier than their fruity blend "melange". Go figure!

NighTChill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NighTChill (6)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My first pipe tobacco! Although the nostalgia, I must say that this tobacco is good enough for everyone, who enjoys richly flavoured pipe tobacco and fits every place with its pleasant room note. Mild taste, but have in mind that if you smoke harsh..it will bite you harsh! :D

smoke dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke dog (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading the reviews, I figured I would give this stuff a shot. Out of the package, the smell is super sweet. more sweet than I had imagined it. The humidity is perfect, and it packs well.. I don't particularly pick up the vanilla though... Which disappointed me. I packed a half bowl and noticed the very sweet taste in my mouth. Interesting to say the least.. I'm still in search of my perfect blend, and I like vanilla, but I don't love this one..yet.. Only smoked one bowl, so I'm interested to see how this one grows on me.. I shall return..

Update: So I said id be back, but didn't think so soon.. I let this stuff sit out over night to dry out and get some of that insanely sweet topping off, and was very happy to see that it cured perfectly and lost the crazily sweet smell and flavor.. It became much more vanilla like. No goop in my bowl, and no tongue bite at all.. I give this 4 stars now, no doubt.. Let it settle and it will treat you right..

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

After trying Melange and being happy with it, tried Stanwell's Vanilla and am quite happy with it. I enjoy aromatics and this one is quite nice. Lights up easily, burns down to ash, and the tin aroma is great. Will bite you if you puff on the pipe too fast, best to take your time with this blend. Great vanilla taste, still plenty of tobacco taste to make you happy as well. I will be keeping this tobacco in my regular rotation, not too pricey, tastes good, and is easy to find. Not really seeing a downside.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As a rule, I really do not enjoy flavored tobacco or Cavendish blends. This is the exception to the rule. It smokes cooly, evenly and tastes great. It is almost like smoking dessert. An added bonus, most folks will comment that it smells great.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff compares to Captain Black (no offence intended to CB fans) as fillet mignon compares to leftover mulligan stew. One bowl of Stanwell Melange or Vanilla and you can never go back to OTC crap.

There is something in the blend in addition to vanilla that makes it a bit more complex than other vanilla blends. A previous reviewer suggested it might be a hint of nutmeg. Whatever it is, it makes this stuff luscious.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Yet another vanilla aromatic. Y-A-W-N. Just what we didn't need.

That said, this vanilla mixture is as good or better than most.

For my money, Evening Stroll does it better.

Add a star if you love vanillas.

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

My quest for that pure Vanilla pipe tobacco has come to an end. Stanwell Vanilla is officially one of my favorite aromatics as of yet. This blend smokes beautifully dry, sweet, and creamy. A treat for the connoisseur of aromatics, but also a good starter blend. Upon cracking open the tin, I was greeted with the strong (but pleasant) scent of vanilla beans, nutmeg, and sugar. Upon packing a bowl, I took a puff and was delighted to find that this beautifully topped blend smoked creamy, cool, and sweet. It has the obvious flavor of vanilla, without the sour smell or taste common in other vanilla aromatic tobacco, and it has a wonderful buttery note that rounds out the flavor nicely. Stanwell Vanilla reminds me of the holidays, when around Christmas time, my father and I made home made eggnog from scratch. It tasted creamy, sweet, smooth and was always loaded with vanilla. This is a delightful, mild blend that any pipe smoker would enjoy. A little tip though; when packing, make sure to use the Air Pocket or the Frank method. I've found that the three step method makes for a gurgly smoke, but maybe I just pack it too tightly that way. Pack it right, relax and light up! You'll immediately see your troubles wisp away in a creamy white cloud, and you'll taste the sweet joy that comes from smoking a pipe.

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is the best Vanilla flavoured tobacco I know. When I was still enjoying danish blends (I don't like them anymore), this was one of my favourites. Dominant Vanilla tase without any loss of tobacco taste within. No artificially tasting flavouring. The Vanilla in this one tastes quite real and pleasant. Maybe a bit moist out of the pouch. Give it some drying time and pay some attention during smoking or it might get rather hot! A good tobacco for smokers who enjoy a Vanilla flavoured blend that still has its tobacco taste.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)

After having a success with Stanwell's Melange, I decided to order a tin of vanilla to give it a try. Really very pleased. It is what it says it is, vanilla. I prefer the melange, since it's more complex, but for a smooth vanilla smoke, this is great.

Kovacs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kovacs (5)

Actually, this is not a bad blend, without pipefilter, it has a sweet tobacco taste (which some people like, I don't) with filter it has a taste similiar to those vanilla flavoured creamy cottage cheese mixtures. I would give it two and a half stars, but since that is not an option, I give it three. The really good price is also a positive thing.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Do you like tobacco? If so, you will not like this! This is identical to Skandinavik Vanilla in appearance, smell and flavor. It is a bit sticky, overwhelmingly sweet and the casing tastes almost unnatural like diesel exhaust.

I love a good quality aromatic now and then. This is not one of them. This is generic fruit flavored candy with some salt, habanero pepper, lots of sugar, bus fumes and maybe a drop of butterscotch. Enjoy!

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (4)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A pleasant, very mild tobacco, with an aromatic vanilla taste.

It is best smoked in combination with the 5 o'clock cup of tea because it brings a great addition to the tea's aroma.

This tobacco's weak point is the fact that it burns too fast.

2/4

Pipe Used: Danske Club nr. 84

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

meanska Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanska (11)

A pleasant aromatic, great with morning coffee. The vanilla note is very subdued, in my opinion. I smoked this in a pipe dedicated to milder aromatic blends. Not sure I'd purchase again (others out there in this same vein which I enjoy more), but I definitely wouldn't turn down a free tin!

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I get the same unpleasant sour / tart mouth sensation a few other reviewers have mentioned. Akin to holding a battery to my tongue when I was a kid. Also just too mild for my liking. The room note is quite good but not up there with the best. Definitely prefer the excellent Stanwell Melange to this.

pylorns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylorns (8)

This is my first tin of stanwell vanilla, and I have another in reserve. The tin note is very fruity and only a hint of vanilla. The tobacco is noticiably dryer than many aromatics and comes off as more plum, apricot, and peach wiffs. The charing light went out fast, and took a few relights to get it to stay lit. The vanilla when smoked can be found here and there but its just not very strong. I won't say that's a bad thing either but its not what I expected.

Pipe Used: Peterson System

Age When Smoked: 1 month or less

Purchased From: Pipe Guys

Realmensmokepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Realmensmokepipe (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is 1. My first tin, 2. My first impression and 3. the first tobacco I have smoked in my newly purchased Bertram estate pipe.

This blend surprised me. Being a very new to pipe smoking, I don't have much experience. I have smoked 5 or 6 blends, most of which have been aromatics. This is definitely VERY aromatic, so if you are anti-aro, not for you.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by the fruity scent described by my fellow purchasers below. Apricot is no lie. It's there, whether intentional or not. The packing was easy, and Stanwell's quality was obvious in the perfect balance of moist and dry that should be found in fine pipe tobaccos, which meant that there was no bite upon lighting this tobacco, even when smoked hot.

The flavor casing of this aromatic is very sweet. The vanilla is present, but a fruity sweetness seems more prevalent. The taste got more balanced and full once the bowl burnt down some, and the complexity of the tobacco became obvious. Though it is sweeter than I think I would prefer, I will enjoy finishing this tin and picking out the flavors of the Danish Cavendish, Burleys and the aged Turkish.

This likely won't be a re-purchase for me, but not one I regret. Part of the reason I started this hobby was to explore, so I wish to leave no blend unsmoked.

Very Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Update: this blend is too much cased with sugar that turned it into unpleasant taste, the vanilla flavor is not that good, for a true vanilla blend; try MB Vanilla Cream which I find much superior.

Original This is a very well crafted Vanilla aromatic blend, it is sweet, smooth, nutty and buttery, it burns dry and cool with an outstanding natural vanilla flavor and it has a wonderful room aroma.

jymevans Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jymevans (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I do love Vanilla, but this blend was not what I was expecting. It is one of my favorites and it frequents my pipe quite regularly.

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have over 50 tins of tobacco, most reviewed blends, this is one of them. And to my surprise, its good. Good tasting vanilla, and believe me I have tasted most of them. Very sweet tasting, very good room note, most authentic vanilla taste so far, although I like Mac Barens vanilla blends better. A hint of citrus mystery surprise, burns hot in small bowls, but overall very good. I will buy. I like Danish blends the most. Give it a try.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

One of the greatest vanilla tin aroma.

The ribbon cut tobacco is of high quality.

It is, however, way too mild for my liking.

The vanilla casing has remained throughout the 3 or 4 months I had the tin opened.

Not for an experienced smoker of cased tobaccos, maybe only a beginner or a more experienced smoker that fancies only mild tobaccos.

JoeWNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeWNC (4)
Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The only pipe tobacco my wife has ever found agreeable. Unfortunately, I do not.

This one smells great in the tin and the room note is very good.

I like aromatics from time to time but this one left my pipe goopy no matter what I did. The vanilla was a bit overwhelming, so the tobacco was covered up by it.

If you like strong aromatics then you might like this one but, due to the goopy mess it made for me, I would only somewhat recommend this one.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Best Vanilla there is,... not much more to say, all of you who are fans of aromatics(and those who are not) will be pleased. 4 stars in my book, because it is the King of All Vanillas.

Hector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hector (2)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a long time smoker of rolled cigarettes and every now and then pipes. Today I decided I should get my own pipes and got some beginners:

Savinelli Capitol and Stanwell Danske Club. Besides these pipes I also got the Stanwell Vanilla tobacco.

I smoked it in both pipes and BOY what a huge difference.

The first pipe smoked was the Savinelli. The taste was good, equilibrated. The vanilla did not overwhelm the overall tobacco taste and the room smell was very nice.

So far so good. Until I tested it with it's father pipe, the Danske Club. I still have a throw up sense left in my taste. It was HORRIBLE! Was it because the pipe was new? Maybe. I will come back later on this one, but boy, the sour taste and the diesel smell are still with me. The room smell is horrid.

So there you have it. It seems to go very good with some pipes and horribly wrong with others.

Kinda disappointing that the horribly wrong was it's own family.

29/4/2010: It burns quite hot & has absolutely no nicotine kick.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is an interesting tobacco. Ranging from golden brown to black in colour, the main and only tin aroma as well as taste is the vanilla extract.

This tobacco smells and tastes like vanilla. Not an artificial extract but most likely the real vanilla extract. After my tin was opened for a couple of months it still smelled and tasted like vanilla.

This tobacco is obviously of very high quality because it smokes dry to a fine grey ash. But do not expect any nicotine kick, it is inexistant.

This tobacco is best suited for beginners that will certainly enjoy their first venture into pipe smoking or for the aromatic fans that seek a high quality, mild and non gooping mixture.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)

To me this is one of the best all around Vanillas in the market, definitely, when you talk about blends that are available at the Tobacco Store. I do prefer Pipeworks & Wilke's Blend No. 191 Honey- Vanilla for my taste, although this tobacco is a good quality blend that will not disappoint you by burning your tongue or tasting like horse manure at the end of your bowl. Enjoy it!

Ian4545 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian4545 (7)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Stanwell vanilla is a very mild and smooth tobacco. It is a good every day smoke and there is no tongue bite.I found that Stanwell Vanilla is very moist ,syrupy and the flavor is very blah when moist. So I suggest letting it dry out for awhile; it had a much better flavor after drying out. This tobacco lights very well and your friends will love the smell of it.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It has all the advantages of the Stanwell tobaccos (no moisture, burns to the end, no tongue bites, smooth burning) and has it is own unique vanilla aroma.

Highly recommended for the aromatic fan!

kukulis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kukulis (12)
Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant

The vanilla taste is so strong, that it leaves the chemicaly bitter taste in your mouth. May be will give it to someone who will like it.

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)

to strong flavoring its fruity but i not find vanilla its something else.not buying again.

boyenne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boyenne (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I absolutely love this blend. While there is a good vanilla taste, it's not overwhelming. Besides of that, there's some room for a tobacco taste aswell. The room note is nice and not too strong.

Certainly not a boring tobacco. A tobacco for a mild, cool smoke, for any social event.

Pipe Lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Lover (5)

I don't smoke many aromatic blends, but when I get urge, this is a good choice. Despite its moisture level, it packs well and stays lit. It's a cool and pleasant smoke.

When my wife and family have had enough of my heavy Latakia blends, I smoke this. It's a great blend to smoke when company arrives.

I don't smoke it very often, but when I do, I rather enjoy the break from my heavier blends. Give it a try!

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco, me Lads, definitively is mild in strength but still tasty. There is barely any nicotine but the soft vanilla flavor compensates.

It is unusual for a salty, crusty sailor to enjoy such a blend but I do. Somehow, the tobacco composition and tin aroma remind me of Solani whiskey (131 red label) but the taste is different.

Black cavendish blended with medium brown leaf represent the core. Some golden, larger cut leaf alternates with a touch of oriental. This blend smells deeply of vanilla but without being overwhelming. Moisture level was a bit high, it needed some time to dry up a bit.

This mixture fills in nicely and lights up nicely. Multiple relights are not part of this ball game. It smokes dry until the end leaving a nice little vanilla smell in the bowl.

This will never be part of my daily rotation but I will always keep tins available when I want something on the milder side. I also recommend this blend for our new brothers/sisters or when in company of non smokers in any social event.

Koliat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Koliat (2)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have bought this tobacco to test if I am capable of smoking Vanilla flavour - and thus - I have found a treasure hidden! The smoke is unlike many others - it gives a cooling freshness with a beautiful addition to tobacco flavour! It burns quite hot, yet there is no problem with finishing the bowl - I almost always dump the grey leftover ash. I personally recommend this tobacco to everyone, especially beginners, who would like to test if they are in to the aromatics - for this tobacco - definite GO FOR IT!

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

If you are looking for a strong 'tobacco' flavor, look elsewhere.

While in Uhle's the other day, they had a sample available. I loaded up while perusing the pipe selection and picking up some cleaners. I walked out of the store with the last tin.

The aroma in the tin is great. A light vanilla with citrus back: orange creamsicle comes to mind. Though a little too moist at first, after about a week, this has reached a nice moisture level that really allows for a cool, flavorful smoke.

Upon lighting I was pleased with the delicate flavor. There is a citrus note that I can't identify, more tart than sweet, with the vanilla coming in nicely. About midway through the bowl, the flavor in full-swing, the vanilla is still there, though the citrus is gone. You can start to taste the burley coming through at the back end; a toasted coconut flavor. It rounds out with the tartness coming back in and a nice creamy coconut vanilla top note.

The room note is complimentary and you won't get any complaints from non-smokers.

This is a white wine of pipe tobaccos, good with fish or light conversation - complex in it's own right, but boring if rushed or approached with the wrong expectations. I might cellar a tin just to see what will happen, but it would be a while before I brought it back into rotation.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

If you like vanilla, you will appreciate this one. It is heavily cased, mild but the flavor is not overwhelming. It could be almost called a dessert. Goes very well with a hot cup of cappuccino. The cappuccino will make the tobacco more sweet and the tobacco will make the cappuccino better. I am an aromatic lover and I can say that this is one of my favorite tobaccos.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I was a little disappointed with this one, it tasted alot like the melange but burned hotter. It packed poorly and i found it a little dry.It did have a lovely aroma in the pouch and room. Dont think ill buy it again.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A blend of Danish black Cavendish, Burley and Virginia, enriched with mature Turkish Samsun. The vanilla taste creates the soft sweetness and the fruity character of the mixture.

Rich tobacco which is in balance with the aroma. During the first bowl, I liked the way the vanilla flavors reached my palate-roof. The hidden tobacco flavors are not completely cancelled, so the result is a nice, balanced tobacco. It brings a light burn on the tongue.

After the fourth bowl you realize that it is difficult to smoke on its own, but it can become a moderate all day mixture (1 to 5), with a more neutral tobacco, like Sir Walter (which I enjoy more every day) that can provide it with extra aroma.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I do not know why this Stanwell is reviewed so poorly. I found it really delicious. I am a HUGE fan of Dan/C.A.O/Torban Danske tobaccos and this is very close. Not exactly, but darn close. The tobacco is very good quality and the taste is very natural. Being a Stokkebye line of aromatics I heard it was made with all natural ingredients which makes it even better! So I might stand out like a sore thumb with this review but I really appreciate this tobacco.

As a side note: The Danish know what they are doing when it comes to tobacco. I have found that Danish is the way to go with tobacco.

UPDATE!

Gets one more star. I have been smoking this daily. It is just amazing. The vanilla actually tastes like vanilla instead of "flavoring". It is just what a great aromatic is meant to be.

NO BITE,LITTLE MOISTURE,FULL FLAVOR. A+

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I stopped off at the tobacco shop today to pick up some real tobacco and they were passing out free samples of this, so I just had to give it a shot, even though I never smoke aromatics. It's not that I hate them, it's just that they never seem to deliver on the flavor. Oh the smoke smells, but the taste is usually foul with unmentionable chemicals in the same way as a cheap cigarette. This one is certainly no exception, towing the line to a tee. My daughter said it smelled like vanilla, but my wife said it smelled more like cotton candy. I'd have to agree with my wife, the scent is somewhere off the vanilla note in a bad way. The only silver lining is that I think I did smell the samsun for a bare instant and it might not have been bad. Makes you wonder if this would be a good blend without the flavoring. I really don't see why they bothered with Virginia and Samsun, though, all you can really taste is the sickening flavoring. I'll take a pass on this one next time, even if it's free.

QuietMoments Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
QuietMoments (7)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the blend that started me smoking Vanilla aromatics. From the first bowl-full, I liked the way the vanilla flavours came through. The underlying tobacco flavours are not overpowered though, so the result is a nice, well-balanced smoke. I am not an every-day smoker - only smoke once a week to enjoy some quiet time - and this is a great tobacco for the occasional quiet moments. This was my favourite for quite a while (but now replaced with Planta's Danish Black Vanilla Flake)