A blend of sweet viriginia grades and extra smooth Black Cavendish seasoned with caramel and vanilla for a lingering aromatic smoke.

BrandDan Tobacco

2.9
Thoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thoth (11)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Tin aroma upon opening is wonderful smelling of caramel, with vanilla undertones. Had to resist the urge to eat some, it smelt that good.

Moisture content was good, really did not need any drying out prior to packing and smoking. Lit easily and only required a few relights. Room note was sweet and pleasant (or so I was told , years in the lab have dulled my sense of smell)

A sweet smoke, though not really heavy on the caramel flavor, no goop left at the bottom.

The bad, it bites like a rabid pitbull. It scorches the tongue so bad it makes smoking it an excercise in self flagellation. Let it dry out completly did not really help. Put it aside for several months came back to it still painful to smoke. Different pipe types did not help, tried cob, briar and meer.

If it wasn't for the extreme bitiness, I would have given it 3 stars.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

With Sweet Vanilla Honeydew being my no.1 favorite tobacco,I figured I couldnt go wrong with a tin of Milonga.I was wrong.It smelled sweet and smoothe in the tin but couldnt help but to notice it was a little on the wet side,but thats typical of an aromatic.From the very first puff of my false light,I could feel my tongue singe,and I knew it was going to bite.I am strictly an aromatic smoker,so my style is a slow puffer.I puffed the rest of the bowl so slowly that I had to relight 3 times.Im sure some of that was due to the high moisture content.This tobacco bites like an inbred pitbull.The worse tongue bite I have had since I started out on drugstore tobacco,and Im a slow puffer.The taste was sweet and good but just a little too mild for me(not enough flavoring).I went straight for a mouth full of Biotene and was up at 3:30 this morning swishing more Biotene.Maybe I have a bad tin because everyone else seems to like it,but whatever the reason,this is the most unpleasant smoke I have had in years.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I recently ordered 3 different Dan aromatics. This is the only one I even remotely care for.

A sweet and delightful caramel/vanilla flavor and aroma. But alas, it smokes hot and bites.

Try Trout Stream instead.

DocWatchtower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DocWatchtower (1)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Very mild and pleasant smoke. One of the few ocassions where the smell from the tin is almost exactly like te taste and roomnote. Tast lasts throughout the bowl until the end. Caramel flavour with strong hint of coconut. Very kind to bystanders, may attract people and lead to unwanted attention:-)

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Not usually an aromatic guy, though I do like some of the well-scented Lakelands. This blend, however, is to me a tolerable true aromatic, and not goopy like some can be. I really don't get much bite from it myself, and though opening up the jar instantly fills the entire room with the odor of vanilla/caramel candies, the taste is not overwhelming in the smoke. I don't see it becoming a go-to or buy-again blend for me at least, and actually my sample is a rather generous gift, but I will smoke the occasional bowl, and will probably open up the jar from time to time just for the smell of the unlit tobacco alone.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)

In a quest to find a well rounded and nice smelling tobacco for indoor smoking this winter, I was led to Milonga. The tin note is of caramel and cookie batter. It almost smells like you could eat it. The room note is also very nice. After smoking nearly half a tin of it, I have concluded that you could do much worse than put this in your pipe. I have grown to appreciate Dan Tobacco's products now and have smoked several. Each has a uniqueness about them and Milonga is in a class of its own. It is a good choice for an occasional hybrid aromatic but I wouldn't recommend smoking it everyday. In my experience, taste buds can get dulled to aromatics quickly. Best in a larger pipe so the flavors can spread out a little.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Milonga is an interesting aromatic pipe tobacco. When I first smoked it in a group 3 size Dunhill it bit like the dickens. I then tried it in a group 5 pot shaped pipe with a 9mm filter and things improved dramatically. I really wanted to like Milonga and will finish the 1lb I purchased, but I am not sure I would recomend this to someone unless they are a confirmed aromatic smoker. I would recomend Lane's 1Q without hesitation as, at least for me, it is bite free. That being said, in full disclosure, I tend toward natural blends and occasionally smoke aromatics. If you have some Milonia on hand & it is biting try it in a large pot (preferably with a 9mm charcoal filter).

Aromatic Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromatic Al (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As far as full-blown aromatics go, Milonga is as good as it gets. The tin aroma is exactly as advertised: vanilla and mostly caramel dominate. The flavor and room note are best described, I believe, as black licorice, marshmallow, vanilla, and caramel, all combined.

The smoke is thick and full and the taste of the Virginia tobacco is definitely there and reminded me of Solani Silver Flake, my favorite straight Virgina blend.

I copped a decent nico buzz about halfway through the bowl and was surprised by how cool this stuff smokes for a slightly damp aromatic, even towards the bottom of the bowl. Cool but not too cool - just right. It lit easily, burned beautifully, and had a consistent flavor profile which is very unusual. The bottom of the bowl tasted and smelled the same as the top. And I couldn't detect any chemical or artificial tastes, and I couldn't make it gurgle no matter how hard I puffed, which bodes well for a natural product.

I would describe the casing as quite dominant - in the realm of medium to strong. Nevertheless, I could still appreciate a good amount of natural tobacco flavor which made for an exceptionally good smoking experience. Oddly unuf, a couple of hours after smoking the bowl, the smell was still all over me like a cloud that wouldn't dissipate. More-so than with similar aros such as Blue Note. It really hangs with you.

I can't find anything to criticize. This is an expertly crafted, extremely well-executed creation. This is a great occasional smoke for those who enjoy caramel flavoring. However, it is not mild enough for the average aromatic smoker. People who rate this as 'mild' should try something like Peterson Connoisseur's Choice to find out what 'mild' is all about.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Milonga is Sweet Vanilla Honeydew with the honeydew replaced with caramel. Vanilla, caramel and tobacco actually go very well together. I like all of the Dan aromatics and this one is among the best. The flavor is rich but the topping is not over done. This deserves prominence in the rotation of any smoker who loves aromatic tobaccos.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (62)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Milonga is a caramel flavoured aromatic, with a wonderful room note, sweety and delightful. The 100g tin is a bit too much, however this is my second tin and I have no regrets. One important note is that this tobacco will bite your tongue and need some attention while burning. This is the only and important aspect while smoking Milonga. The second advise is that after opening it is better to let the tobacco flavour dry a bit. The tin aroma will be softer, however while smoked it will be still very good and bite less. I am keen on aromatics, and smoke them all, and this is the one that bites more, so careful. Not for new smokers, not at all. It would roast your tongue and the 100g would be wasted. I like this blend, ans alternate it with Da Vinci, Sweet Vanilla, Take It Easy. Like for cakes, it is hard to choose the best one among aromatics: they are all quite different. Dan Tobacco are really impressive for quality, though, although they are all quite mild. Three stars, not four because of my poor tongue.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This smells like super artificial caramel, real un-natural. The taste is pretty strong and the nicotine is right up there. I made the mistake of smoking 2 pipefulls back to back. Nic overload, had to dump the 2nd half of the last pipe, and couldn't sleep, sore guts, heart thumping. Would make a good dessert smoke in a small pipe. This stuff definatly has its place, but I won't be buying again. The quest for the ultimate black cav continues...

EDIT - After leaving the remainder in a jar for a few months, it has improved. The overly chemical taste is mostly gone, and there is a distinct coconut flavour in there now. I seem to enjoy it more than previously, but not enough for 3 stars.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend isn't too bad; it is far better than the Blue Note the company produced. It has a creamy taste of caramel and vanilla that is quite pleasent; especially for someone like me who is an English fan. The tobacco is quite smooth and doesn't bite nearly as much as the Blue Note. The topping is not so strong and is balanced enough not to ruin a pipe use for both English and aeromatic blends.

I would reccomend this blend for seasoned smokers and even new smokers looking fir a nice aeromatic to have in rotation with their stronger English, Balkan, or even virginia bleds.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Wonderful backy, this one is from Dans of Germany. You could almost grab a spoon and eat it right out of the tin. Vailla and caramel is in abundance with this fine blend, with just a tad of true tobacco taste but enough to let you know that you're not smoking someones dessert. To me this is in a class of gourmet tobbacco, heavy on the top dressing and very sweet to the pallate. I could almost smoke bowl after bowl of this stuff but the end result would again be too much of a good and super delicious thing.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (24)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am lucky enough to live near several relly great tobacco shops, and I have no shortage of aromatics to try. This one I will rate as midrange in the many I have tried. Its' aromatic room notes seem to disappear really quick. For those who are into the aromatics you should give it a try. It is a nice blend that seems to be blended fairly well. Its a nice quality tobacco, but for me I have other aromatics I much more prefer over this one. I will however say it is one that if a man handed me the tin, and offered up a smoke I wouldn't turn it down. Its a decent blend well worth trying.

Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

My sister has a wonderful word she uses to describe certain less than pleasnt things. That word is EEW. That is MILONGA- EEW!

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)

The flavor burned off after about the half way mark. Smelled nice in the tin, first half was good.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)

Mild taste of Carmel is pleasant but not heavily pronounced. Vanilla is even lighter and has a lite aftertaste of coconut. No noticeable bite with this and would be good beginners aromatic. Room note is ok but stales out rather quickly. Burns down to a fine dodle with little to no gunk in the bowl. Enjoyable departure from my favorite Blue Note.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is brand new on the market and I had to add it to the review board..This is one hell of a smoke, once agian we have to tip our hats to CAO for hitting a home run with this one, as well as Devils Holiday, which I reviewed earlier. This has a genuine rich smoke that has flavors of Caramel and Vanilla, which is very highly apparent in the roomnote that follows this bellow of smoke. It has a great taste and will make your mouth water as you are packing your bowl. This is a perfect after dinner smoke with just the right sweetness to fullfill your cravings. It is a highly recommended tobacco to add to any high end collection. CAO is def the king of aromatic leaf! MZMN

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (22)

The first half of this tin is magic! The flavoring and taste are right, not to overwhelming or subtle. But the second half, after a re-humidification lost most of its taste and became boring to smoke. For aromatic is better a 50gram tin then a 100gram.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very nicely done aromatic! The tin note is most definitely vanilla and caramel - actually more a butterscotch aroma and flavor - and a little coconut. The room note is mostly caramel/ butterscotch as is the dominant flavor while smoking. The sweetness was greater than most other aromatics I have smoked but never cloying in any way. I believe this was due in part to the presence of true tobacco strength and flavor while smoking this blend. My tin sample was moist to the touch, but not at all dripping wet as with many aromatics. The ribbon cut (some broken flakes) packed well and lit with one light after the initial char. It smoked very smoothly to the bottom of my bowl without any moisture accumulation. It tastes so good that you are tempted to puff vigorously for more of the wonderful flavor, and this is the only way it will smoke a tad hot, but it never bit, even with the vigorous puffing. The flavor of caramel/butterscotch lasted throughout most of the the smoke and it was a real treat to be able to smell the wonderful aroma while smoking. A solid tobacco flavor of spicy Virginias made its presence felt and mixed very well with the aromatic flavoring. A delightfully creamy, buttery taste. One of the few aromatics that I truly enjoy. In the class of Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream, and more user friendly.

Sonaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sonaris (10)

Dan Tobacco blends are outstanding and this certainly covets the same accolades as the other blends. Slightly reminiscent of their excellent Sweet Vanilla Honeydew but with the added hints of caramel undertones and is a great afternoon smoke. Fills easily and smokes to gray ash without the goop at the bottom of the bowl. The tin is slightly smaller in circumference than the usual size but is thicker to accommodate 50g quantity. I found the size to be more convenient to slide into my suit pocket. But its not the packaging that makes the difference. Overall, this is going to be augmenting my regular 'stash' for years to come.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

What a great aromatic! This is the first one ever to match what you read on the tin, what you smell and what you taste. The aroma from the tin is clearly caramel and vanilla, and when you start puffing... there they are! Caramel and vanilla. It might seem silly, but I can't think of another aromatic that smell and taste exactly as they advertise.

But that's not all: you still can taste the underlying tobaccos, which are very high quality. The Virginias make the mixture more complex than most aromatics. And there is NO tongue bite, another unusual feature found in aromatics.

Although I'm not an aromatic smoker, I'll always keep a tin in my cellar.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening this gem I was greeted with Vanilla and Caramel. Yum...

The smoke was creamy and flavorful. The smell was like a house fresh batch of Christmas Cookies. The overall impression? Just another perfect score for Dan tobacco. How do they do it?

Did not burn my tongue. Smoked very cool. I recommend drying it out for an hour to capture perfect taste.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Popping the round tin top I immediately noticed something tropical akin to coconut and caramel. There was also something floral and citrus. Not Lakeland floral, but like that of wild honey.

On a second sniff, Thomas Radford?s Sunday?s Fantasy came to mind. Whatever the aromas, they are alluring, unlike the jar-stank of funky aromaplastics on many a tobacconist?s shelf. This is also perfectly humidified.

This blend must start as a flake, and some flake pieces remain in this light to medium dark mixture with scattered blacks and browns.

My first dozen puffs of my initial bowl were reminiscent of Bjarne?s Flake de Luxe with the addition of moderate casing and top note. As I continued to smoke it in different pipes, I am satisfied that it starts out in it life as a nice, bright flake that is rubbed-up and mixed with a cultured black Cavendish. Some portion of it is cased and the whole topped.

The aromatic flavors change as the bowl burns. Citrus notes, honey, perhaps vanilla notes. This has significant tobacco aroma and taste with accentuating flavoring added. This is a mature-taste aromatic of an exquisite sort. No attempt here to hide tobacco flavors from neophytes or sugar spark the hypoglycemic.

It can be abused (nothing like its Mac Baren peers), so puff with care and out of the wind. It might not get all the same laud other more benign aromatics receive from non-smokers, but it shouldn?t get one removed from the premises, either.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is one of my favorite aromatics. While highly aromatic and heavily cased, it is not "goopy" like so many cheap bulk aromatics, and will not funkdify your pipe.

The tin aroma is wonderful, and you can detect both the caramel and vanilla. I would say that the vanilla is in the background. It is a nice loose ribbon cut, and really does not require much fiddling other than a little drying out before smoking. Use any method you want accomplish this, but do not just dig into the tin and drop it into your pipe. You will suffer a mighty sting, it will burn wet, and you will have a tough time getting it lit. With a little drying, though, and a loose pack, it lights very easily, and burns steadily and coolly.

The room note when smoking is very pleasant, as you would expect, and the flavor is cool and mild, as long as you do not puff too hard or fast. Like most aromatics, this blend will bite you if you get too excited with the puffing, but that is more a general characteristic of this type of aromatic (wetter, more heavily topped german/danish style, as opposed to the drier, more natural English aromatics).

The taste to me seems relatively natural, with a strong sweetness from the casing. There is a flavor, and it might be caramel, but it blends nicely with the tobacco flavor. This does not have any appreciable vanilla flavor to my palate at all.

Overall, this is an excellent, high quality non-berry flavored aromatic. If you are used to smoking various funky food or fruit flavored tobaccos (why, oh why?) then I highly recommend this as a way to transition to something that tastes and smokes like real tobacco, but still has a nice room odor, and sweet flavor.

Update:

I have downgraded this to two stars. The reality is that this tobacco bites, at all humidity levels. I have tried drying it for several hours, and while it does show some improvement, it is still too harsh on the tongue to warrant a higher rating. I accept that many blends can bite when smoked too fast, or with too much moisture, but this one just does not calm down enough, even after significant drying, to make it a comfortable smoke. More significantly, there are other blends of a similar nature which are easier on the tongue.

karlub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karlub (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE TO REVIEW BELOW Turns out my suspicions below were partly correct, in that this performed much better in different pipes. It also packs a little differently tha other tobaccos I've smoked. It needed a lighter hand.

So if I smoke it in a medium to large bowl, and pack lighter than I usually do, it performs just as well for me as it did for everyone else.

ORIGINAL REVIEW I have only been a dedicated pipe-smoker for a few months, now, but my palate is getting trained, and most of the reviews "scan" for me.

With those caveats, I have to respectfully dissent on Milonga. It lit unevenly for me, burned hot, and bit. The flavor of the casing was also muddy.

That said, my initial smokes were in a pipe with a smaller bowl which I reserve for aromatics. It did perform better in a large bowl: The light was more even, and the development of the profile apparent. Oddly, for me so far at least, the casing was more pleasant and interesting in the large bowl as well.

As it is awfully cheeky for this neophyte to offer such a dissent, I can only assume that with a little cellar time on it my impressions of Milonga will likely be as lauditory as the others here.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Original Post 1-25-7 What a fantastic smoke! After falling in love with Blue Note, I decided to try Milonga. I could not be happier with it. It has an excellant Vanilla and Caramel flavor that very slowly fades to reveal high-quality VA and Black Cavendish tobaccos. It will bite if smoked to rough, but its less of a bite than if you treat Blue Note rough. (I think of these tobaccos as classy ladies, and try to treat them as such.) Overall, a must-try for aromatics lovers, and a good idea for those who hate aromatics!

Update 1-15-08 This is the one tobacco I wish I could give 5 stars. As the tin was opened and had a chance to mellow this became a bite-free aro with excellant flavor. I wish this was easier to find here in Cleveland. Rates a 12.5 out of 10

godofhell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
godofhell (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

this is a great blend, you can taste the caramel and vanilla... the only problem is this blend burns to hot so take your time. I really haven't got a bite out of it yet so that might be a good thing. finding the right pipe to go with it wont make it burn to hot.

BOWLBRO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BOWLBRO (7)

This is without a doubt one of my favorites. One of the first flavored tobaccos I tried that actually had flavor. I could taste the caramel on the first draw! It is a light bodied and delightfull smoke that I recommend to all my bowl brothers. I detected no bite and no heat, nice and smooth. A quality smoke and the chicks dig the room note! Enjoy it at the club, and everyone else will too. One thing to be aware of though, this is best when it's fresh and moist. It doesnt seem to keep well. If it gets dry, it loses it's appeal.

TerryJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TerryJ (7)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

As a general rule I'm not a big aromatic fan, but I saw this tobacco listed while I was purchasing another Dan product, and frankly any new Dan tobacco is worth a try, IMO.

After a tin of this, I must say I really enjoyed this smoke. It packs well, lights easily and stays lit. When the smoke is done there is nothing left but a clean light gray ash - no mess to pry out of the pipe! I was most impressed by the fact that this wasn't all just "sweetness and light", I could actually taste a really fine tobacco beneath the casing, which increased as the bowl burned down.

As with most aromatics, this was a bit too sweet for me to use on a regular basis, but I did find it a very enjoyable smoke. In fact, I bought additional tins. Very worthwhile.