Natural Sweet Virginia and a generous amount of Syrian Latakia that is pressed and aged together.

BrandBrebbia
Blended ByPlanta
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.1

I confess. I love a good LatVa blend. In particular those that contain Syrian Latakia. This one has a little something extra to it that makes it stand out. Along with the usual smokiness and sweetness is a wonderful amount of spice. Some may be from the Virginias, but most seems to be of the Oriental variety. This is some really smooth, smoky, spicy, Latakia. I just love this stuff. Although there is a little complexity, it's mostly a simple, delicious smoke that doesn't require a lot of concentration to fully enjoy. It's very relaxing in that regard.

Ready to smoke out of the tin. Medium in body. Medium to full in flavor. Burns perfectly. Most bowls require only one match. A really great tasting LatVa flake.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (77)

Predominantly mid brown tobacco with bright highlights throughout. This flake is quite dry and crumbles to the touch almost like cinnamon bark. Altho the flakes are whole, they are so compressed and fragile that keeping them that way is almost impossible. I'd almost call it a Scotch or broken flake.

The latakia on the nose is quite delicate, if this condimental tobacco can ever be described so. There is a lot less of it here than in Brebbia's Balkan Blend and it is a long way from being a Lat bomb. The balance with the Virginias is very well done imo, the two elements work together harmoniously.

Takes a light beautifully and produces huge volumes of creamy smoke. There is some significant pepper on the tongue, suggesting perhaps that a good part of the Virginia is matured leaf. This can at times tend towards the harsh, but a slow cadence will keep the smoke on the right side of well mannered. Otherwise this is quite a sweet tobacco with a caramel or butterscotch note. I would attribute this to the conditioning of the tobacco rather than a result of any additives, but I will leave the final word on that to those better equipped than myself. Burns rather quickly.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Stumbled across this and some bulk F & K Lancer Slices at almost the same time and thought I'd had twins. Well, fraternal if not identical. Quality leaf. Great manufacturer. Creamy, enveloping, rich smoke that is far, far smoother and lighter than the tin aroma or the room note. Plus, I'm a sucker for flakes, especially in round tins (OK I'm weird, who would've guessed). Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys a taste profile ranging from light English to more full-bodied Balkan/Latakia mixtures. No oriental listed above, but either there is some or it's a who-needs-it tobacco. I really enjoy and now always look forward to smoking it.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (52)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Nothing more nothing less than a classic English mixture. It is true that oriental tobaccos are absent but the outcome doesn’t change. This flake is for Latakia lovers, but a great english mixture is another thing. Anyway it is one of the best Brebbia tobaccos, with a great amount of Latakia. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 7 and two stars. If you are an english mixtures’ smoker you have to try it.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (130)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

A lighter Old Ironsides, I detect a slight topping in the mixture. Way too light for me and lacking in flavor. I like the presentation, the smell in the tin is very nice, the crumbled flakes looks very interesting, all meaty and oily but unfortunately Latakia Flake No.9 falls short of my expectations. Maybe a good Latakia Flake for a beginner.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I recently bought a tin of #9 and have not been disappointed. This blend though is at the very edge of my tolerance for nicatine, for this gives a pretty good kick. If you love latakia blends, try this! Smells like a campfire out of the tin which is a plus for me. And the aroma as its smoked is bliss in my book. Will bite if your agressive. On the edge of being a bit to bold for me but I plan to keep this in my rotation for those days that I am looking for something with a punch.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (85)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I tried this flake only in a sample given to me by a friend. I normally do not smoke tobacco so rich in Latakia, so my opinion is not very reliable but I can say that for me it was a nice change of pace. BLF probably will never in my rotation but I can safely recommend to you to try it.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

My tin tastes almost exactly like Penzance, but Penzance seemed a little less one-dimensional. So why does this get one less star? Because I don't taste ANY Syrian in here whatsoever. All the same, if you love Penzance and can't get your hands on a tin, this should substitute pretty well. Bottom line: Recommended as long as you don't expect any high quality Syrian.

TommyKinda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TommyKinda (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I like this blend. This may be my favorite at the moment. Very rich and somewhat spicy.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (69)

A delightful latakia blend. If you like latakia with Virginan, this is a great smoke. Burns better than Odessey. Very leathery taste and can be an all day smoke. Mild for a latakia blend.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Yes: Sasha is right, Dan/CAO should be the producer of this blend, I also realize this because of the shape of the tin and the inner paper disc. The flakes are quite similar to Old Ironside, but in this comparison, LF9 is missing the Kentucky, and therefore much milder. I place LF9 in between of OI and SG's Balkan Flake, in respect of the latter LF9 is bit stronger and has more body. I found it good for all day smoke, sweet and leathery. Very good quality indeed