Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company

3.6
GOOD TO BE KING Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GOOD TO BE KING (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

10 Jan, 2011 Today I decided to break in my new “strawberry” from Liskey pipes using Christmas Cheer 2006, since I had a tin that had cracked open in shipping and had been transferred to a glass jar for keeping. Upon opening, I found an aroma reminiscent of McClelland's pressed Virginia blends. I immediately thought of blend 2010. 2006 is a very welcome change from the English blends that I have been smoking. It has the sweetness of a well aged pressed Virginia as well as the ability to burn very slow. I am most impressed with the flavor that is coming from this. I don't really pick up on a “tobacco” taste, just a very smooth, nutty; almost caramel-molasses-fig taste that includes hints of cherries and is quite refreshing. I smoked 3 bowls of this in the strawberry and could have done a 4th.

11 Jan, 2011 I am smoking more of this today, only in my large bowl Radice. I have truly missed the flavors of a pressed Virginia from time past, and am glad I decided to smoke this for a change of pace. I will switch between my Radice and my Liskey and possibly finish this tin by week's end. It is “that” good. I can only hope the other Christmas Cheer's are equally as good. One word of caution… If puffed hard this does get hot in the Radice, so care must be taken. In a large bowl pipe I have been finding this to be a little on the sharp side (spicy). This was not noticed in the smaller bowl of the strawberry yesterday, but it could be the rate at which I am puffing or the English blends that have been smoked prior in the Radice. I also suggest rubbing out as much as possible. A partially broken half rubbed course bowlful might be the cause of the heat on the bowl. I have determined, after 2 ½ hours, that this is not a “LARGE” bowl tobacco as it seems to lose its flavors the farther down the bowl you get, starts getting a tad bitter and just does not cut the mustard at this point. This is no better than Star of the East while working down the bowl. I smoked another bowl in the strawberry today. What a delight in this pipe. It is smooth, sublime and it does not ever get bad. Gotta kinda watch how hard I puff to keep the temp down so I don't burn my new pipe, but I really like this pipe/tobacco combination.

12 Jan, 2011 Hit the strawberry again today. I am truly enjoying this pipe/tobacco duo as it seems to be a match for each other.

14 JAN, 2011 Another bowl went on it's marry way today. I am really enjoying this blend. Something about it just hits the sweet spot on my palette. This makes 6 bowls since the 10th of JAN. Smoking the entire tin by the weekend won't quite happen, but it has been a very nice adventure.

I have every year in my cellar dating from '95. I can hardly wait to break open another tin...

JustPlainChris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustPlainChris (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Another home run from McClelland!

I bought a few tins of the 05' and o6' CC back in 2006. When we moved into our new home, I lost some of my tobacco tins and just now recently found them.

Needless to say, the opened CC was a bit dried out, but amazingly easy to salvage and rehydrate. I just opened the tin, put it into a large zip lock bag, put some distilled water in a kettle, let it boil, and then allowed the steam into the bag for about ten seconds. I then sealed the bag up (leaving the lid off of the tin) for about 2 hours.

PRESTO!

Anyway, this stuff has aged VERY WELL.

It is a pressed flake, which allows it to taste the way it does, and so MIGHT be a problem for the novice in preparing and loading.

Just take your time, sit down, and patiently rub out, seperate, and enjoy preparing the tobacco! That in itself is VERY rewarding.

Anyway, using a light gravity load and very gentle tamping to load my pipe, I did my two charring lights.

When I finally lit up and started smoking I was rewarded with an EXTREMELY TASTY, SWEET, CINNAMON LIKE FLAVOR that blew me away! I know some folks like the goopy, drug store cased aromatics. I can't understand WHY, though, when such a SWEET and TASTY and NATURALLY AROMATIC tobacco is available! My wife even complemented me on the smell in the room! That's a big deal, folks!

I also got a very faint but wonderful evergreen note, which was awesome as well.

I only wish I had 10 more tins of this.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)

NATURAL TOBACCO FLAVOR, DRIED FRUIT,SWEET

This blend makes me want to change all my other reviews to less- I have never bought McClellands Christmas Blends (The best of the year of processing-in this case I believe 1999) Its SMOOTH, woodsy, and ever so slightly sweet. BUT ITS NOT WHATS THERE!! ITS WHATS NOT THERE!!! ABSOLUTELY NO FOUL AFTERTASTE, No Asheyness, No Sourness, None of the bad ciggarette like whangs that appear transiently in other VA blends...

I must say, I have yet to find a bad can of McClelland.

several tins later, MAN this is the BEST VA!! Its so smooth, yet packs a nice whack of nicotene!

Many, Many tins later- some tins are smokier than others...or i burned out my taste buds....

Brother Of The Leaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Of The Leaf (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Thus far I've had the pleasure of smoking only the '06 and '09 Christmas Cheer, so I'm a bit limited in knowledge related to this collection. I loved the '06 however. Just smelling the tobacco I picked up a lot of evergreen. Flavors of cake, cinnamon, and a hint of evergreen fill your mouth upon lighting. Medium sized clouds deliver a treat for the senses. I've gotten so many compliments from people as they pass by. My only complaints with the '06 Christmas Cheer are it's a tad difficult to keep lit, but that could be a user error, it bites the tongue a tiny bit, and it's a bit of a pain to break apart the flakes, however I know they wouldn't age as well had they not been pressed into flakes. Overall an amazing smoke! I only wish I had more tins.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

As a year-round smoker of the C.C.,2006 is without a doubt one of the very best.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is not as sweet as some of the other Christmas Cheers that I have tried. It burns very nicely and is an all around great smoke. It has a tangy, earthy and almost cinnamon taste to it. It smokes very cool, and does not bite. The room note is not as good as some VA blends but is completely natural. Although not as good as some of the earlier Christmas Cheers, with some aging it will smooth the edges out and be a very fine smoke.

JEM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JEM (12)

I bought this tobacco late last year, put it in my rotation, and finished it up this week. It has a nice taste and those around me say they like the smell of the smoke. I had trouble lighting this tobacco and keeping it lit. Also, tongue bite was a problem for me.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Cinnamon-flavoured Virginia flake. OK, semi-flake. Half-way through the tin I am so bored with this tobacco it's drudgery to finish it.

Don't get it, don't like it, don't recommend it, won't buy it again.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Well, what's not to like about Xmas Cheer 2006?. It has tremendous flavor for the most part. I cracked a tin a year ago and smoked half of it, jarring the rest. Testing the remainder over the holidays, I find it to have a hint of a soapy taste at first light that I didn't notice in the past. It does settle down through the smoke however.

I love the sweetness of a straight McClelland Virginia. This is tangy-sweet but can bite if aggressive. I believe I still prefer the overall taste of Dark Star and 2035 to this blend.

I actually find the cut of this blend more difficult to work with than Dark Star and 2035. You know up front that you have to prep the Dark Star and 2035. I try to smoke Xmas Cheer as it is and as a consequence it is more difficult to keep burning.

I have three more tins in the cellar along with some other vintage. Perhaps I will update later.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In the tin, this broken flake has the usual aroma of McClelland's fermented funk.

Flavor is typical McClelland: rich, syrupy, and tangy with nutty undertones.

As with many McC VAs (particularly the Cheer series), second verse same as the first. If you enjoy those, you'll enjoy this. Like all McC VAs, it's good young but blossoms with some tin time. Best a narrow gauge chamber.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)

McClelland is one of the brands you can grab almost any tin of it and be satisfied. If it says McClelland, go ahead and try it.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is quite simply one of the most superb Virginias I have ever tried. For such a tobacco to be so smooth, rich, and to possess such a fine sense of balance NOW, I can only imagine what a few years age will do to it.

Buy some. Now!

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I think this is an excellent, rich and smooth straight virginia which will improve with age. I've just finished a 100g tin over the last 6 weeks and I smoke this WELL dried. I smoke one bowl of this in the evening and it's never harsh. It's rich and naturally sweet, with a medium body smoke. Very little bite, and is one of the smoothest straight virginias I've ever tried. Generally I find straight virginia tobacco a little boring, but I like this one quite a bit.

GeoLogger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeoLogger (16)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I am sure proud of these tobaccos. I get lots of it every year. I like this one a lot, as usual, but I am cautioned a bit by one little nuisance item. It is hard to tame - a real mouth-biter. All young Va can be - so I am not scared - plus it will cellar well. The taste is great - pure and really sweet. I have been smoking the tin since Christmas and like it better every time. It does seem pretty similar to a couple of other red virginia Cheers, unsurprisingly. I expect this to be a clear winner when it has aged a bit more and I apply a little patience in method.

tobaccoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobaccoman (19)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

as always since 2000 at lease i have purchased 2 tins of the 2006 vintage for Christmas. I always sample a bowl or 2 from one tin and then let the rest age. 2006 for me is very similar to the 2005 vintage. The cut is small flakes which are much better than the larger flakes from the 90's tins. This one did not bite me as much either. I only mention the bite factor because i have a tin of 1998 that still bites like an inferno everytime. Dont hesitate to purchase vintage 2006 if you have enjoyed 2005 .

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Rich and sweet, once again McC's choice for a year's represenative tobacco is worth the coin. The tin aroma quickly fades and the debris to be groomed out is scant. This should age well, if I have the discipline to let it sit in my cellar. Without reservation, I recommed this to all who prize sweet Virginia tobak. My only regret comes when the bowl's load has burned to ash, leaving only a memory...

Meerschaum Man Smoking a circa '69 no-name Bent Rusticated Meer

Fatty Bolger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fatty Bolger (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Figured it was time to throw my hat into the ring regarding the Christmas Cheer 2006. This is my first CC and I think my first straight VA, with English and VaPers being my usual fare. From the very first bowl the straight-forward clean, sweet taste of this tobacco has had me captivated. In fact, it has almost been my exclusive smoke since it arrived. Since I have not been smoking as heavily in the colder weather the first tin is still hanging on, although I have ordered 4 more to set aside for future years. I think it has already been mentioned but there is very little aftertaste from this tobacco, and absolutely no cloying or astringent characteristic. I have smoked 3 bowls of this in close succession on a recent car trip and no adverse tongue or mouth bite. With my last order I got a tin of Aniversary and a tin of Blackwoods Flake which I intend to crack open and compare over the Christmas holiday. They will have to do pretty well to get into the same catagory as CC 2006.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Cheer '06 is my first go at McClelland's vintage Virginia flakes. The tobacco itself is very appealing, with medium browns and some bright stripes. The flakes are nearly square and about 1.25 inches long. The tin aroma has less A1 Steak Sauce ambience than the usual McClelland offerings. This is a naturally sweet smoke with less than the usual VA bite. About as smooth and tasty a VA as I've had in the past three decades of piping, with layers of nuance. Easy light and even burn all the way down. This is a pricey blend, and I'm not sure that it is cost-justified for my tastes. It is excellent, but there are other excellent VAs available that cost less. For me, the vintage approach toward blends is not worth the extra price. For this reason, I've got to take one star away, despite this being a wonderful smoke. If you don't mind paying the premium, and appreciate matured VAs, you're almost certain to enjoy this vintage Cheer.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

It took me a few bowls of this to realize that it needs to be dried a bit before packing. It bit quite a bit if I didn't dry it out first. This is my first vintage of the X-mas Cheer, but I do have a few other years cellared. Smoked slowly, this is a great VA blend. Cheers to McClelland!

P-lip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
P-lip (5)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I purchased 4 tins of CC some months ago & vowed not to touch it untill Christmass. Sadly, anticipation & weekness of character made me not wait for Santa. But having said that, I was pleased I did. On opening the tin the aroma was not typical of McC's other Va flakes, the ketchup smell was there but only just. With the aroma of dried figs & deep hay & the appearance of short 1in square pieces mid brown in colour with golden flecks looked very pleasing. After char lighting this tobacco got going very nicely. Straight away you are aware that this is something very special. It is unlike any other Va that McC or anyone else for that matter produces. This is a lovely, lovely thing. Soft, Rich & creamy with layers of fruit & spice coming & going, not unlike a good Christmass Pudding. CC just keeps giving from beginning to end. This tobacco, Christmass Cheer is truly a gift from Santa. Merry Xmass to the good old boys at McClelland, they have done it again.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I have smoked a tin 2006 Christmas Cheer already, and it's only September. It is simply spectacular...surely the best Christmas Cheer that I have tried. Its flakes are smaller than I recall from previous years, and doesn't seem to have the uber-sugar content of 1998 and 2004 Christmas Cheers. I think this will be a legendary vintage; I'm so impressed, I have 18 tins in the cellar already, evidence of my confidence in its aging potential. I'll report back in a few years.