Iwan Ries

A fine, well-balanced blend of naturally aromatic Turkish, smoked Latakia and mellow, aged Virginia tobaccos, rich in flavor, smooth, cool-burning.

BrandIwan Ries
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full

3.8

IRC Gourmet English may have just a wee bit of some sort of flavoring added because it sure tasted sweet to me. Sweet and Latakia don't normally go together, but in this instance the rare combination was delightful.

Gourmet English packs easily as the cut is not too stringy. And, while the above descriptive does not include Oriental leaf, I'll take a gamble and tell you there is some because I sure tasted it. The Latakia is not overpowering and the Virginia leaf was well aged and refined.

My pipes took a real liking to this one.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This fine English offering from Iwan Ries is truely gourmet. Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a deep, rich and lush looking blend of weed. Another reviewer described this as a buttery smoke and I must agree. The smoke is smooth and full and burns cooly with no bite. The Orientals and Virginia's play a large role here, yet they don't totally dominate. There's more than a hint of Latakia that serves to round out the blend very nicely. This blend does arrive on the damp side and I would suggest letting it dry out for at least a half hour or more. Highly recommended!

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a top-notch English blend, no doubt about it. Somewhat sweet in taste; the latakia weaves in well, not overpowering, yet present. The Virginia's give it a slight edginess. I will tame this one to reduce that feature by decanting it in a mason jar for awhile (I believe this blend will age well).

Some reviewers have compared this to Boswell's Northwoods; but, other than the English aspects of Gourmet, I don't agree with that comparison—the last time I smoked Northwoods it gave me a "pine" jolt I didn't like. Gourmet does not have that going on for it so, really not much of a comparison. English blends are among my favorite pipe tobaccos, and Gourmet ranks right up there with the best of them.

I really enjoyed this one!

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: Molina big bowl

Age When Smoked: from a tin dated 1/20/14

Purchased From: from Iwan Reiss; in person

SirGawain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirGawain (5)

(NOTE: The tin I smoked before this review was from 2008.) One of the earlier reviews said, "This is what all other English tobacco blends want to be." I have to agree. This is the most delicious English blend I have smoked to date (and having smoked a pipe for twenty years, I've tried many). This one is truly worthy of the name "Gourmet English." Having been disappointed with many of the now-outsourced "English" offerings of many blenders, I was VERY pleasantly surprised by this Iwan Ries blend. Packs well and burns cool and smooth, right down to a fluffy, powdery grey ash...no dottle at all. The thing that impresses me most about this one is the sublime BALANCE in the taste. So many English blends on the market today have to add "mild," "medium," or "heavy" to their names, and sadly, this is still no indicator of the balance of flavors. One can be overwhelmed by Latakia in one blend, and underwhelmed by too much Turkish spice or Oriental in another. Not so with Gourmet English. The Latakia is there, and provides the nice, deep, smoky bass note. Quality leaf. Just enough Oriental there to make everything interesting. And in this blend, the Virginia shines. I also smoke many blended/straight Virginias (being a good Virginia boy myself) from McClelland and the like, and the Virginia in Iwan Ries' Gourmet English is reminiscent of these. It reminds me of one of my favorite pressed Virginias, Pipeworks & Wilke's "Dummerston": rich and buttery, it holds the blend together superbly. The flavor of this tobacco blend is very rich and well-rounded. There are no sharp edges anywhere, and no bite, either, no matter what my smoking cadence may be at the moment--although this definitely is one to be savored, not rushed. I imagine this being very close to the famous "Arcadia" mixture, so favored by the great writers and statesmen of the 19th century. Delicious and complex, and conducive to those contemplative moments. I prefer to smoke this in a blasted meer, but the blasted meer is my preferred pipe, anyway. If I had been introduced to this in my younger days, I would have been an English devotee much earlier in my exploration of our hobby. Smoke this one and you'll see why Iwan Ries has been around for a century and a half. A sublimely genteel English, and a true "gourmet" one at that. A solid four-stars! Hats off to Iwan Ries for this one, with fervent hopes that they don't mess with a good thing.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (30)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is what all "English" tobacco blends wants to be. This is as near perfection as tobacco can be. This blend lights easily. It stays lit, and it burns cool and dry. The taste is dark and rich. The latakia does not over-power the other components, but it is there in full strength. This is an everyday, any time of the day, tobacco. If you like "English" blends, you will love this one.

RoundTwo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RoundTwo (38)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Old time Iwan Ries taste, great flavor, and room note, a real delight, gave a few puffs to a cigar smoker in the front room at Iwan Ries who doesn't smoke pipes and the next time he saw me he was still talking about how great it was. As of now my daily favorite when I'm out of the home. Rich, complex, spicy, smells as good as it smokes. Truly a gift for tobacco lovers everywhere. The more I smoke this blend the more interesting and seductive it becomes. Non-aromatic Latakia, Oriental/Turkish and Virginia blend (all the right types of each). I cannot keep enough of this around.

Age When Smoked: Seemed Fresh but who knows

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Got some today. Was expecting a very good tobacco. This stuff is fantastic. Very English maybe the best including Dunhill. A cool long lasting smoke. A bit damp out of the pouch. You must try this.

Pipe Used: Sav 321

Purchased From: Ir

CraigInTheCorn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CraigInTheCorn (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First, a disclaimer. I've been smoking for a month. Not just a pipe, but at all. Started at age 56. Glad I waited, but wish I had started sooner, if that makes any sense at all. Pipes are cool.

In the short time I've been smoking a pipe, I've acquired quite a variety of tobaccos, wanting to find what it is I like. I probably have 15 different varieties. I figured that I'd like the aromatics to start. Most importantly, I figured they'd placate my wife, even though I will never smoke in the house. Well, they're just OK. Taste OK, smell better. VaPers are OK, too, but I think I like burleys better.

Hands down, this Iwan Ries Gourmet English is by far my favorite. It's the only tobacco I've smoked that hours later, I can still remember the complex, delicate flavors and smells. Most other tobaccos I enjoy only before and during smoking. Honestly, this has been quite a surprise for me. I LOVE bourbon, but don't like peated Scotch very much. This blend smelled like a bottle of Islay Scotch to me. Not good for me. But in the bowl? Heaven! Man, I have a lot of tobacco to burn before I can load up on 8 oz of Gourmet English! Gotta find takers for the Borkum Riff.

Pipe Used: Comoy's Prince

Purchased From: Iwan Ries, Chicago

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I received a tin of this for as a belated birthday present from a friend who I got started in smoking pipes. He lives in Chicago, a few blocks from IR.

We cracked this tin and I immediately salivated over the sour fermentation aroma in this tin. I love the cut of this tobacco, thin short strips that are perfectly moist without the use of any humectant. Three defined tobacco colors are noted in the tin, and are well balanced from initial light to the middle of the bowl. I cannot comment on further smoking, as I usually only smoke half bowls. Latakia seems pushed aside as the McClelland-y Virginia stays out front. This is a great English blend from IR I will not hesitate to recommend!

Age When Smoked: 3 years old

RangerGLX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RangerGLX (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I am a pipe newbie, however I've been smoking cigars for over 20 years. I dig flavorful tobacco. This stuff is the bomb. I'm not good at describing the flavors but it seems buttery, nutty and sweet at times. Burns long. I dig it.

Pipe Used: All of them

Age When Smoked: Right out the tub

Purchased From: Iwan Ries on line

Similar Blends: Seattle Pipe Club, Mississippi River..

RangerGLX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RangerGLX (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Pipe Used: All of them

Age When Smoked: Right out the tub

Purchased From: Iwan Ries on line

Similar Blends: Seattle Pipe Club, Mississippi River..

Tumbaki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tumbaki (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Ne Plus Ultra. The search is over. Intriguing, beguiling. Discovered thanks to this site last October.Will never be without. Have a pound in a humidor. 2 Dunhill #4's dedicated to this blend. Merci, Ivan Reis for this treasure

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I did like it. It was sweet and smoky. I experienced no tongue bite and it burned consistently and cleanly. Due to my limited experience, I am thinking of this as an aromatic latakia. I probably will stick primarily to Larry's Blend or Butera's #2, but this is nice to have to change things up.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

I've just finished a tin from 2008. Gourmet English is a well-constructed medium English that emphasizes the Orientals over the Latakia, although the Latakia smokiness was present to my taste. Similar to the McCelland Frog Morton series, it doesn't bite and can be smoked all day. I found the moisture content a bit too much for my taste (as with FM) and it doesn't dry out much with time. While not a favorite to my Latakia tolerant wife, the room note is tolerable to those around. In all, a fine tobbaco by Iwan Ries.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

Another reviewer recommended letting this blend age for a year or more. The sealed tin I received from Iwan Ries last week was dated 1/2008, more than 1.5 years old. The scent of the unsmoked tobacco in the tin is wonderful, but very light. The leaf is a thicker, visually pleasing, coarse ribbon cut and packs quite nicely. It seems very moist right out of the tin, and I was concerned that it would burn hot and not stay lit - I was mistaken. One charring light, and then another match, and the entire bowlful burned and smoked smoothly, with billows of smoke, right down to the bottom - leaving nothing but a fine light gray ash. No goop. No dottle. No bite. No foul taste at the end. The word that comes to mind for the flavor of the smoke: "smoothe." This tobacco certainly lives up to its name. It is definitely one of the finest English blends.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)

This is what one one expect from one of the premier Pipe shops in the USA - a simply superior blend!

This smells good when opened, packs easy, stays lit and just tastes great. This fits right in with some of my other favorites - Frog Morton, Royal Yacht, Odyssey. It's a bit 'earthier' and a touch stronger then Frog Morton - tastes as good in a corn cob as in a Savinelli or Sasieni.

After years of sticking with a couple of good old standby's I've been trying loads of different blends. Given that I tend toward English and Balkan blends, it isn't a shock to find that I like this one enough to add it to my favorites list.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)

This is a very good english-aromatic. The casing is delicious and as addictive as opium (I've never smoked opium). It is the same flavoring as that used in IRC Slices (virginia cavendish) but with a heavier hand. This is a very cool smoking blend which burns to a fine white ash. The latakia and turkish are very tasty but do not overpower the virginia base.