A classic blend of burleys, bright Virginia ribbon, Latakia and Maduro cigar leaf.

Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

This has a strong maduro cigar leaf body to it. It is not full of plums and raisins like Three Nuns, nor a Christmas mass censer like Sasieni (meaning that the latakia isn't the main note), nor is it a MacBaren mouth mousetrap of tongue bite. It's a fairly slow smoke, unlike Carter Hall which disappears like magician's paper. For about 2/3 of the orchestra, I'd have to say, "Cigar."

schram Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schram (2)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I'm pretty new to smoking pipes, but not cigars.

I've tried and have really enjoyed a few house English blends from a local B&M. I'm beginning to get the impression they are very mild nicotine wise.

I have very recently tried "Old Dog", which is similar to the blends from my B&M, and loved it.

I really enjoyed one bowl of night cap, which gave me a real good nic hit, which i did not expect at all, but was fantastic.

This blend on the other hand... I picked it out because, coming from cigars I wanted to try something with cigar leaf. I originally wanted to try Dominican glory, but 4noggins only had a larger tin, and i didn't want to buy that much when really all I wanted was a sampler. I was unsure I'd like it anyways, so I opted for this, and hey, I'd get to try a burley too.

Well, pretty sure I don't like it.

First impression, smelled fantastic in the tin, very different, almost plummy or nutty.

None of that translated into the smoke, all I got was cheapo cigar/cigarettes. At this point I don't know if that's the cigar leaf, or just the burley.

The real thing I got from this though, was my ass kicked by nicotine. I tried three times but could never finish a bowl without feeling sick.

I've got this in a mason, and maybe I'll come back to it. For now, I'm excited to try some more English/Balkan blends, and the tin of Dominican Glory I found in a 2oz tin.

Pipe Used: Briar - Brigham 2-Dot

Age When Smoked: Just Opened

Purchased From: 4noggins

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend may be considered a cigar based blend but I have to disagree. In my opinion Purple Cow is a burley based blend. The cigar leaf makes its appearances from time to time throughout the smoke. The latakia adds its nice smoky latakia flavor in the background throughout the smoke. The virginia adds a touch of sweetness but the main flavor is the dark, nutty burleys.

For the room note... well.... to a non smoker this blend is nothing but fowl. However to a smoker of non-aromatic pipe tobaccos or cigars this blend actually gives of a nice scent. A bold combo of and english pipe tobacco and a nice mellow cigar.

Allinall, Purple Cow is a great blend of burley's, virginia's, latakia and bold sweet maduro. An excellent blend for pipe smokers who enjoy an occasional cigar, pipe smokers looking to work their way to cigars, Cigar smokers who enjoy an occasional pipe, or cigar smokers trying out pipe smoking. A great mid way blend between pipes and cigars.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand Signature

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, now that this blend has been featured on the History Channel, I simply must put forth my thoughts in hopes of being thought cool by association.

Had it not been for the Ogden Nash reference and the name of Bob Runowski attached to this blend, I doubt if I would have ever given Purple Cow a moments thought. All cigars taste the same to me, that is to say taste bad, and I have never understood the intention behind grinding them up and putting them in otherwise pure, unoffending pipe tobacco. The name Runowski, however will always give me pause. This man is responsible for all of my favorite blends from Cornell & Diehl. His Pegasus and Haunted Bookshop are my constant companions because he understands the wonders of Burley, and thus the fullness of what tobacco can offer. Whether a blend contains cigars or cough syrup; if Bob Runowski had a hand in it I'll give it a shot.

Once again, the good gentleman has delivered. This is one of two blends with both wonderful Burley and questionable Latakia wherein I can taste both of them and they both taste right. The soft, toasty Burley starts out the smoke, the meaty yet well-mannered Latakia drops in to say hello now and again, just as it should be. Virginia provides a reassuring tang throughout the smoke but never takes over. The cigar leaf is the greatest accomplishment of all. It comes into the overall smoke now and again. When it does, the taste is like that of a cigar when it is first ignited, which I actually find somewhat pleasant. The joy of the cigar leaf in Purple Cow is that this flavor endures throughout and never takes on that taste that comes about in all other cigars and cigar leaf blends I have had, which is something like overcooked zucchini.

I never saw a Purple Cow.

I hope I never see one,

But count myself a lucky bloke

In that I have now have smoked one.

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

So here's the thing...before smoking a pipe I was an avid cigar smoker of only the finest... ie Cohiba, Partagas, Montecristo, anything Cuban (as it is legal in Canada ) now smoking a pipe I am a huge English blend guy. I have to say the main reason for me trying Purple Cow is the show Modern Marvels on History Channell on tobacco culture. I'm only on my second bowl of the stuff and it is better than the first. To me it is a great English blend with a kick of the cigar leaf. when smoked to fast I find it can get a bit bitter and heavy but when smoked easy I find the Maduro leaf adds almost a cinnamon woodsy note. I think I'll put this blend in a mason and revisit it in several months and again in a year or so. I believe this blend has great potential but needs some time.

**Update a week later and yeah this is not your balanced English blend. Though it starts out somewhat balanced the cigar leaf makes itself known half way down, not a bad thing for me but for most will be to strong. I said I'll put this away but will try it periodically to see how the tobacco matures. Please don't make this your first English blend as it is a bit strong and may turn some first timers off.

Pipe Used: Brigham voyageur

Similar Blends: Crooked lane but stronger due to the Maduro cigar leaf..

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)

Bought a 2oz. tin. Been smoking this about a week now. I wish I got an older tin to try. I dumped this into a mason jar to age awhile. I think I will enjoy it even more then. I prefer to buy in bulk. This is a good blend with burley the main player and cigar note and latakia rounding it out in the background. I am a fan of C&D 412 Billy Budd, and if you like that, you would probally like this one too.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat, Yellowbole Checker

Age When Smoked: Tin date, 11/22/13

Purchased From: pipes&cigars.com

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

First, I am an occasional cigar smoker. Very much enjoy them, however I am more a pipe smoker, and the marrying of these two is genius. An all out great blend.

Now for details, because this deserves it.

The strength is pretty high because of the great latakias, and cigar leaf. The cigar leaf adds great flavor and room note. Something you can't get everywhere.

The flavoring is obsolete because it does so well on its own. Which brings me to the taste, and cigar, which is arguably the best iv'e tasted.

The room note is not too pleasant for your non pipe smoker, in which i'm giving this room note a tolerable. The wife was a bit afraid.

All in all this is a must have in my collection and yet another C & D favorite, kudos.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Billy Budd.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Gigar and latakia take the lead out of the chute through to the half-way mark. Then the blend smoothed out, allowing the Virginia to come through, particularly on the retrohale, Cigar leaf could be improved upon to balance the blend. Burned clean on one post-char lighting. 2+.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin dated 02-APR-2009

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (48)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Not for me. I don't need a pipe tobacco to emulate a cigar. I smoke both anyways. This is really a flat tasting blend even after considerable aging. It does smell like a decent cigar but has a flat undesirable taste. Couldn't finish this tin.

Pipe Used: briars and cobs

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

An unusual mixture of floral notes, Latakia and cigar. Strong nic kick. Rather harsh, needs taming. Nothing "classic" about it.

Paulb1546 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paulb1546 (1)

I am a long time cigar smoker who only occasionally smoked a pipe. This tobacco has changed that. This tobacco is as satisfying to me as any cigar. Flavors noted are that of nuts and tea, with a very solid base of creaminess. Absolutely no bite on the tongue. I will be smoking a lot of this in the future. Highly recommended!

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Extra Strong

In the Can, the Latakia and the Cigar Tobacco are easily noted. Cigar Leaf is also noted in the smoke but in the room note,

During smoking, In the flavour, pure tobacco scented, bu so strong, even so strong to easy overhelming and after this, neither more in noted!

Also in the taste, the Burley dominates and this Blend is bitter, much bitter. Than, the taste is too strong to fast saturate the gustative impressions, and because of this, neither more is noted... Overhelm.

Smoking this is good in the begin, but their strenght saturates all the environment easily, becoming tasteless and boring. Large Nicotine ammount.

May be good for people that enjoy Cigars, and for that like extremely strong English mixtures,but this tobacco is not remarkable for me. Excessive Strenght, overhelming all... as Cheap Cigars and Vinegar taste.

This is not because the Latakia content, since almost pure Latakia blends,such as Pirate Cake are better.Also,in the kind of Cigar Leaf Mixtures, Dominican Glory is much better.

2 Stars for their quality,because is well blended, bus is only for people that enjoy very strong tobaccos or cigars, but not so good for me.

awoodby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awoodby (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Cornell & Diehl did well with this blend. It's got some deep, cigar leaf after-flavor, but not stepping on the burley and Perique. Packed easy and stayed lit as well. I can see this one staying in regular rotation.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

i just finished my first tin and i will soon buy more. this is a great blend. it is a great burly blend with some extras added to it. overall it is both sweet and bitter, smokey and smooth and very very strong. great to settle those occasional cigar cravings when you don't have an hour to smoke.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Extra Strong

Took me ages to finish this tin, very cigarish. I did not like this, but powered through it anyway. Tastes very dry, no sweetness at all, very robust flavour. Mixed with roll cake makes it better, I'd get the occasional chocolate / cocoa nots, but all in all there is no way I will buy this again. Tobacco quality is good.

If you want to try cigar type blends, give it a go.

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

dry, non uniform cuts. there's a thin hunk in there that will need to be broken up and rubbed out. it doesnt really look or feel that pleasing but i do like the taste and the way it burns enough to highly recommend it.

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I found this to be an interesting smoke. Upon opening the can the tobacco seems dry if not too dry. Iv been smoking this out of a brand new meerschaum. It packs easily and lights easily. The first puffs is predominatley latikia but the latikia quickly becomes a whisper hidden in the smoke. You can at some points taste the bitterness and acidity of thecigar leaf and feel its effects almost like smoking a cigar. If you puff too hard and smoke to quickly you can expect to feel a heavy chest and almost feel a nicotine overload like chiefing on a brickhouse stogie too quick. Also I find that the cow can burn rather quickly so I would reccomend taking it slow and enjoying it for what it is, a pipe tobacco that lends effects of a cigar. Not the most complex blend but it doesn't get boring and tends to burn out right when you really start enjoying it. If it wasn't so dry and fast burning I believe it would get 4 stars from me.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I bought this vacuum can of Purple Cow in January of 2010 and cellared it unopened for a year and a half before trying it. This was done of course to improve the blend. Immediately upon opening, I was surprised to find the tobaccos were completely shredded and diced giving the appearance of being floor sweepings from the C&D factory. I almost had a cow! I was further astonished to find the tobacco was completely dried out even though it was vacuum sealed. And I mean completely dried out. I almost had another cow! I packed a bowl which burnt like paper all the way through in under a minute. I tried a second bowl with the same result. Almost having my third cow I was at a cross-roads: I had no choice but to re-hydrate the blend or throw it out. Opting to re-hydrate, I emptied the tin in a plastic container and placed a sponge dampened with distilled water along side the tabacky. I sealed it up and after two weeks the blend was moist and smokable.

After all that effort, the blend wasn't bad as a once in a while smoke. I'm a big English/latakia blend smoker and like a "cigar" blend now and then. My problem with cigar blends is that I don't smoke cheap maduro cigars and I can't imagine tobacco houses using great maduro cigars when making pipe blends. Lots of "cigar blends" taste like cheap maduros. I smoked Purple Cow intermittantly, outside, as part of my English, flake, and aromatic-now-and-then rotation.

Ultimately, the maduro cigar flavor dominated and it wasn't necessarily a great maduro taste. I've enjoyed other cigar blends more. Purple cow is worth a try for an intepid English smoker. Maybe I had a bad batch.

Maybe the cow is purple because he inhaled this stuff?

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

This is a great blend. The components mix nicely. The contrast between nutty sweetness and creamy smokiness is absolutely great. The only cigar leaf blend I've had, and though i haven't smoked too many cigars i could tell u this is unique. It's defenatly nothing like smoking a cigar in your pipe. Fantastic blend one of my new favorites.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

Bob Runowski is my hero. He has forgotten more about burley than I'll ever know, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying it immensely. Usually when Bob is involved in a blend I think it's a good sign. With Purple Cow I almost missed out on this fantastic blend. I've had a chance to purchase some on many different occasions but never thought I'd enjoy this blend since I've always thought cigars and pipes don't mix. The good Lord always provides and I was given a good sized sample of Purple Cow in a tobacco trade on one of my favorite pipe forums. Here my love affair begins...

I was a little indecisive on what pipe to pick so I decided to punt and passed on all my briars and went to a lonely cob that had been sitting in my neglected pipe drawer. Once again... the good Lord provides. I loaded up my cob and put match to 'baccy and was met with a quick taste of latakia followed by sweetness, nutty burley and finally the cigar leaf chimed in. Within seconds all the components were harmoniously working together to provide a rich, sweetly nutty, slightly smokey blend that was held up by the cigar leaf. It's hard to explain how integrated the cigar leaf is but it just works perfectly. No bitterness or harshness just a cigar like richness you'd expect from a great cigar.

I think if you're a fan of burley and want something more interesting then definitely try this blend. If you're thinking this is an English blend then you're way off. It's mainly a burley blend that is supported by high quality cigar, virginia and latakia leaves but seems to defy definition because of the harmony of this blend. I would also recommend this in a cob. I've tried briar and I'm sure I can find a briar in my collection that would perform admirably but this blend just sings in a cob. This is American style burley and blending at it's finest.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I see we have a "love it or hate it" blend on our hands here. Well, the tin art is marvelous and the contents are (IMO), quite nice although not a "bell cow" smoke for me.

As usual, C&D blenders did a very nice job combining the components and I was able to detect the flavor presentation of all the various types of leaf. The Latakia was pleasant, the Virginia was mild, the Burley provided some punch and the Cigar leaf made for an interesting overall presentation.

I've never smoked a cigar leaf blend that really reminded me of a good cigar (of course, I've never smoked a coffee topped blend that reminded me of a good cup of coffee either).

It is obvious from reading through the reviews that C&D accomplished exactly what they wanted with Purple Cow, to provide a Cigar leaf pipe tobacco blend that would be very pleasing to some of our hobby's pipers. Congrats C&D!

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Tin note is excellent... Promising and full bodied. The smoke itself is a big letdown. I mean, this is one of those tobaccoes that does absolutely nothing for me. Sure, I can smoke it but I just don't see the point of it.

A little too strong but not enough body which makes it feel kind of like when you forget all other spices (salt and all that) and just remember to put in chilies in food. Strong but not full. No flavor to back it up with and just a peak of the strong stuff.

Not even close to cigar either and the latakia (which I love) feels very out-of-place too.

Not recommended from me!

Balisongbaka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Balisongbaka (5)

a good blend kinda smells like a bbq honestly. it may just be me but brings me back to when my father smoked something like this. it has a bit of an aftertaste but it is a very good blend

KINGCOLE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KINGCOLE (10)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend achieves an excellent balance between pipe character and cigar flavor. The nicotine level is right on target. Other cigar leaf blends I've tried have been over-the-top in that respect. As well, others have had acrid overtones - - the kind you get if you just crumble a reasonably good cigar and stuff the crumbs in your pipe. Purple Cow is smooth, cool, and easy on the draw. The flavor and aroma are dominated by the rich maduro cigar leaf. The burley and virgina, together, serve the same role as the filler in a fine cigar. They support and uplift the flavor and aromatic qualties of the maduro wrapper leaf. The latakia, here, is present largely as a seasoning. It cools and sweetens the smoke and rounds out the mouthfeel while seldom directly revealing itself through its flavor or aroma. While I love full-strenth English blends that showcase latakia, I find it a refreshing change to find this leaf so effectively cast in a supporting role. Another job well done by Cornell and Diehl

Pipe-billed Grebe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-billed Grebe (18)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

Purple Cow's tin aroma was promising: rich, full of smoky Latakia and dark sweet Maduro leaf. Upon lighting up there was a nice burst of Latakia. I found that after that, I had to smoke nice and slow to coax out the Latakia flavor. I suppose it was getting lost in the Burley, and what was progressively becoming, as one reviewer accurately described, a nauseating taste of stale cigar. I slogged my way through a few more bowls, each of which kinda made me sick. Maybe I just wasn't enough of a cigar guy to get it...

So then I pawned the tin off on my brother, who is more into cigars than I am. He smoked a bowl and promptly gave it back. So I passed it on to a friend who is a bonafide cigar lover. He smoked a bowl, took the old violet bovine out behind the shed, and put her out of her misery.

I very much wanted to like Purple Cow. I like Latakia. I like Maduro cigars. I like the funky tin art. I do not like Purple Cow; I do not like it anyhow.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Being a fan of Tobacco in all forms, this blend jumped at me with its Latakia and Maduro partnership. And it is a great pairing, however there is something that keeps this from being a four star great. I don't think there is enough Lat and Mad. I feel as if the burley blend gets in the way. Don't get me wrong, this is very good smoke, I enjoy it. Most Definately give it a shot.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

I have to confess ? I brought this blend because the description and name were tempting. And I was not wrong. This is good tobacco and only warning is, that it is cut in very wide ribbons, so if you are not careful these huge pieces may block your pipe.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

UPDATE: I have to downgrade this....the vast majority of the tin recently got thrown out in a "spring-cleaning" of old tobaccos I no longer enjoy. It is tastes ok for the first part of the bowl but then degrades into a taste of stale cigars that makes me nauseous. It also leaves its stench in the pipe long after. Maybe I just don't dig cigar-leaf blends, but considering that this costs as much as many other better tasting "premium" tins I do not see the point. Either buy a good English blend or just get a good cigar. I leave the original review below.

General impression: The tin smell is very pleasant, with latakia (rather than cigar leaf) in the forefront. The taste when smoked is...unusual for pipe tobacco. The first half of the bowl is actually quite nice and feels like you are smoking a strong, spicy, smoky maduro cigar in your pipe. However, after that the taste begins to lean a little more toward the kind you get when you reach the very END of a good cigar and it's time to let it go out.

Who should buy this stuff: You feel adventurous and you like cigars. You want to try something unique and you like strong tobaccos.

Final notes: I actually think this is a well-blended tobacco and that any faults with it lie mainly with the inherent nature of cigar leaf. I did not regret purchasing it (although I probably will not get it again - I would rather spend that money on a real cigar). I recommend smoking this in pipe that you won't feel bad about throwing out a lot of unsmoked tobacco (like a corn cob).

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)

Bought it because of the tin and name right before my osn's graduation from Williams...home of the purple cow. The robacco was delivered on my birthday with two nice Tsuge Briars that I ordered. As a cigar smoker, wanted to try a good cigar leaf blend.

Nice robbon cut that was a bit dry when I opened the can. Packs nicely but does burn quickly...probably because of the dry nature of the tobacco.

Was a very nice smoke with the burleys and Vriginan mixing nicely with the latakia. The maduo leaf gives it a spicy touch. I didn't think I was going to like the same leaf I like smoking in a cigar out of a briar. Pleasantly surpirsed. Never overwhelms the smoke though. Since I broke in one of the new pipes with the blend, will try it in a nicely broken pipe to get a cushioned smoke.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

The C&D catalog describes Purple Cow as "A classic blend from Bob Runowski. Bright VA ribbon is added to a Burley base, then complemented by a dash of Latakia and tasty maduro cigar leaf." This was a good sign for me as I have never smoked a Bob Runowski blend that I didn't like and some of his creations are among my all time favorites.

Purple Cow is available in 2, 8, and 16 oz. tins and has a rather humorous logo with a pipe smoking purple cow and a farmer with an astonished look on his face. I tested the 2 oz. tin. The cut is a rather wide ribbon. There are several shades of brown and some black in the tobacco.

PC seems to like a rather firm pack in the pipe, perhaps because of the cut. One charring light gets it going, then the smoker is treated to a mix of the burley flavor with the Latakia in the background, perhaps not as prominent as in a tobacco like Morley's Best. The VA is there but plays a minor role, however this one can nip your tongue if puffed too fast. The maduro leaf appears to become more prominent as the tobacco is smoked down and adds a cigar note to the mix. PC burns well and down to the bottom of the pipe with no dottle.

I did require a few relights while smoking it, but that is par for the course with me, I've never been a "one match" smoker. PC was smoked in six different pipes and seemed to prefer larger ones, particularly my XL Lannes Johnson.

Overall I enjoyed Purple Cow and will definitely purchase it again. Bob, you did good!

Scores for Purple Cow: Taste-16 of 20; lighting and burn- 7 of 10; value- 8 of 10. 31 pts. gets Purple Cow a high * rating.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

A friend sent me a sample of this tobacco: upon opening the pouch the smell was wonderful and it promised a great smoke. The cut was coarse, with sheets of Havana leaf, cubed burley and mostly ribbons of the rest. Big promises, but little taste: the only real tobacco taste I could detect was the burley one, while the others came into here in there, but very lightly noticeable. Really nothing to write home about.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (144)

First and foremost, this blend is heavy on the latakia. The cigar leaf and Va, in fact, don't seem to add much in the way of distinct flavors (which is surprising). Instead, they provide a LOT of sweetness -- so much so, in fact, that at times I had to remind myself that I wasn't smoking some kind of aromatic. The burley is hardly noticeable at all, as it seems to be used in this blend mainly as a base. Purple Cow (gotta love the name and tin art!) burns well,seems to have no bite at all, and won't goop up your pipe. The room note is considerably more friendly than that of most latakia-heavy blends. A word of caution, however: when you reach the bottom, the flavor shifts abrubtly to a sooty, ashy mess (probably due the cigar leaf), so I suggest dumping it about 3/4 of the way down.

Basically, this blend makes me think of a souped-up, slightly musty version of Frog Morton, which isn't a bad thing. It's not that they taste alike (the flavor profiles are different), but they both feature lots of latakia, lots of sweetness, and are exceptionally easy on the tongue. I think that fans of the Frog Morton line might like this one a lot, but folks who primarily smoke full-bodied English blends might want to give it a pass.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

Now this is absolutely not what I expected. The tin note was more of Virginias and Latakia than of a Maduro cigar. I like Maduro cigars and thought that this would be an interesting blend to try. I expected the Maduro leaf to overpower the blend and ruin the subtleties of a C and D English tobacco. What i found was surprising and delightful, the top of the bowl was full of VA. sweetness and Latakia with very mild pepperiness from the cigar leaf. As the bowl progressed, the complexity changed and became more rich and powerful. The cigar leaf became more pronounced and the burley helped fill the flavors with a certain creamy richness. By the bottom of the bowl I was amazed at the way this blend satisfied both my taste for pipe tobacco and cigars. This blend is not an everyday smoke but more of a every once and a while treat.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

This is the best latakia blend I have smoked from C & D, and one of my favorites, period. I don't know if it is the maduro leaf or what, but man, I do like this stuff. Very stringy tobacco and perfect for stuffing the pipe and lighting right up. Burns nearly perfect with a soft pack of the bowl. The taste has a great lingering sweetlness in the background that perfectly compliments the latakia.

As a lover of cigar leaf blends, I'd like to say with the utmost enthusiasm- SKIP THIS ONE ! This was a major let down for me. The cigar leaf flavor is there but the blend is so muted nothing really comes to the forefront. I would describe this blend as very SOOTY. It shows no resemblance to Pease's "Robusto" or "Robert Lewis' 123 MIXTURE". A good try but no Cigar! PUN INTENDED!

Kiltman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kiltman (5)

I can sum this blend up with one word: Yummy! This was my first Cornell and Diehl blend and I wasn?t disappointed in the least. At first match, I got a blast of Latakia which quickly mellowed as the burleys asserted themselves. The Virginias added a wonderful top note and the maduro leaf really came into its own about a third through the bowl, but didn?t overpower any of the rest of the flavors. Fantastic. As to the room note, I was in my favorite tobacco shop extolling the virtues of this blend with a pair of cigar smokers. They both said it smelled great. I tend to agree with them but I might be a little biased.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (136)

This is a wonderful cigar leaf blend that all who appreciate this style of tobacco should try. The ingredients are first-rate and the cigar leaf is added to compliment, not overpower the other components. The ribbon cut tobacos used are the widest I have ever smoked. For this reason, I break up the blend ever so slightly, which improves the loading and burning qualities,(it burns to a fine white ash)slightly sweet tasting with no bitterness. It is a full, satisfying blend with a high nicotine content. For this reason it will only be an occasional pleasure. I also add 4% perique to add a touch of spice to an already excellent recipe. This is the first Cornell and Diehl tobacco to receive 3 stars from me and with good reason. Bob Runowski has created something special with this superb blend and my little tweaks have made it even better (at least I think so).

writer_robin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
writer_robin (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

While I prefer my smokes to have some perique, I will make exceptions if the tobaco warrants. Purple Cow definitely warrants the exception. In fact, I have one pipe in which I smoke nothing but PC, it's that good.

Yes, it does hav a slight cigar taste, but who said that's a bad thing? It isn't.

A qualification on the room note: I live alone, so what I consider "tolerable" may be a bit more than what others tolerate. On the whole, it's pleasant.

To sum up: this is a very pleasant smoke indeed. Just the thing for accompanying cerebral activities.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Very nice stuff. Full mouth feel, Billows of smoke. Quality latakia works as a great condiment to the Virgina & Burlies. The touch of maduro gives this blend a mellowing and sweetened taste that makes it a refined, flavorful smoke. Not your run of the mill english- Give it a whirl.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a ribbon blend with shrards of cigar leaf. The burley makes this blend work, as I do taste the cigar component and it is not overwhelming in strength. Tastes good and makes you want to puff too fast. Keep your pace. Recommended to old fashioned burley smokers who want an edge of richness or who are fond of cigar notes.