Two dark stoved Virginias and one wide cut lemon Virginia expertly blended with Cajun Black. This blend is one of a kind, ethereally smoky, deeply rich and incredibly complex. Virginia's natural sweetness cooled by Cajun Black's fire-curing and Perique style processing.

Notes: Cajun Black is the first new pipe tabacco component in more than forty years. Cajun Black derives from Virginia seed brought to southern Kentucky long ago to grow in that fertile, heavy soil where it was crossbred to create dark fire-cured tobacco. It is stalk-cut and hung over slow-burning hardwood slabs in a three to five step smoking process until it turns a deep chocolate color and achieves its distinctive smoky flavor.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia Based
Strength
Taste

2.9
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

This is the last of the Royal Cajuns for me, and the least tastebud-provoking. It's a fine tasting, if overly mild blend for me, but it definitely does not ring my chimes the way the other two did, particularly Ebony. Dark seems more complex to me but Ebony is more flavorful.

This is a rough chop-cut tobacco, mostly black in color but with a bit of lemon VA thrown in. The taste of this resembles Ebony much more than Dark but is considerably milder and harder to extract. It came at very nearly the proper moisture level in the tin but it did benefit from a couple of minutes of drying time. Still, I had some minor difficulties keeping this lit. As do most good VA tobaccos, it improved down the bowl but never really reached that level of taste nirvana that I experience with Ebony. This one is just too mild for me and I had to work too hard to find the flavor. But if you like a nice mild tobacco and you want just a bit of that deep dark roast coffee flavor with your Virginia tobacco, give this one a try. If you find you like the flavor but find it just a bit lacking in "oomph", go straight to Royal Cajun Ebony.

larryjly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
larryjly (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I opened the tin and sniffed a fruity smell which was not unpleasant. Upon lighting I was waiting for "something" to happen, and continued to do so throughout the bowl. Coming from liking English blends to this provided a nice change of pace. It definitely had a Perique heritage. It's a nice smoke, nothing (for me)to write home about..I tried it and that's that.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is my second Royal Cajun, after the Dark (could not put hands on the Ebony).

Basically, we are in the same territory (how could it be different ?), just some small differences: a dash of lemon Virginia is thrown in the dark base, offering fruity tones. Possibly this is even milder than the Dark, but neverthess satisfactory and refreshing the same way.

Regarding me, my preference still goes to the Dark.

The Royal Cajun line seems to me something able to encompass the pipsters' different tastes, and that's the geniality of the blender.

Pipe-billed Grebe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-billed Grebe (18)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This review is from a tin with a few years of age on it, which has been open for a while and is dry as Tut's tomb. Mostly black leaf with a few strands of gold, with an unlit aroma like a light Latakia blend. In the pipe, the sweet & sour bass tang of dark stoved Virginia dominates with smoky and peppery undertones; there are also notes of chocolate, coffee - a pleasant roasty natural sweetness. I don't reckon it lives up to McClelland's self-inflicted hype - it is nothing quite as revolutionary as all that - but taken on its own merits it is quite enjoyable and, yes, a bit different from the norm. Just a bit.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

One has to give credit to McClelland for thinking outside the box with the creation of this series. This dark, rich, rough cut tobacco comes ready to pack with a slightly smokey, chocolate (not aromatic) tin note. At first light the taste is very mild, slightly sweet and somewhat monotone. Sadly, that was the profile for the majority of the bowl. It's not bad tobacco, just boring. I wasn't looking for a "new" perique, but I had hoped that the process would bring about more complex flavors. If you are a fan of very mild, straight forward tobacco, this might be worth a try.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I haven't been looking forward to this review. With every subsequent bowl smoked, I knew that my review would be ravaging. I hesitate only because I admire McClelland, particularly for their insistence on experimenting. There are only so many blenders as bold...actually, there are none, I apologize. I crave different tastes, and when I scour the interwebs in search of something new, I am inevitably led back to that familiar profile of a whale taking in a breath of fresh air. In my mind, GL Pease exists to refine, and McClelland exists to create. Royal Cajun is squarely within that tradition, and I confess, I feel a bit guilty for hating the stuff.

"Cajun Black." I remember reading about this a few years back, a bit intrigued, imagining that I would get around to it sooner or later. That time has come, with a tin dated 2006--that's a good four years of age. Reading the verbose insert provided by McClelland, my first instinct was to imagine a cross between Latakia and Perique, a smokey, fermented condiment soon to line the shelves of tobacconists and their mason jars of blending components...how can this fail?

My only reservation going in was the notice that these blends lack oomph. I like a strong tobacco, and have gone far enough to add Perique and sliced rope as necessary to toughen up a blend. Nothing is safe, from Frog Morton to Blue Note. This tends to change the taste profile, obviously, but it extends the range of tobaccos that I may sample, which my curiosity appreciates. So, I stand ready to amend this concoction if necessary.

Prodding though the contents in the tin, the tobaccos are course, largely black-- the stoved Virginias and Cajun Black indistinguishable, and a bit of that light, lemon Virginia, sparingly evident. The classic McClelland Virginia scent pervades throughout (I do enjoy the novelty, I admit).

The smoke, honestly, doesn't deliver the promise of new flavor. The blend is decent enough, but I don't seem to taste anything that new or that different. There's a hint of what might be Perique, and some smokey notes, but taken together, it's nothing distinct enough to warrant jubilation.

I understand now why the blend is so light...to pair this with a strong Virginia, or a robust Burley would diminish what little individuality the blender claims that this leaf may possess. And so you are condemned to these mild smokes, or some oft hope that the next batch might use a stronger strain of Virginia. Either way, the future is bleak, as perhaps obvious by the lack of other blenders who have taken to the cause of "Cajun Black". But McClelland is a tasteful company that could probably make a pile of crap at least halfway palatable, which is clear in the simple instance of Special, which should ideally fail to offend most people.

Forty years, that's how long it's been since a new tobacco component emerged-- according to McClelland. I like the desire to branch out, but I think we can do better.

For my part, I'll take a pinch of Perique and snap my fingers.

One and a half of Five.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)

I purchased my first tin of Cajun Special because my regular tobacconist was out of Cajun Dark, which I was wanting to try. He said Special was also a good blend, so I tried it.

Upon opening the tin, the aroma was very smooth, spicy and unusual. I filled a bowl on a large Wiley pipe. Some of the tobacco is soft and smaller, and other flakes are firm and a bit larger. I broke up some of the flakes before filling.

The tobacco wasn't too dry or too moist. It was a slight bit bitey at first light. After turning the top to ash and coal, I tamped it down a little, and relit. It swelled considerably, and I tamped while puffing gently. The flavor mellowed, and smoothed out to be a really nice, unusual smoke.

I liked Royal Cajun Special enough to buy three more tins and put them in their own special tobacco jar.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

There's something not right about this blend.

It has that wonderful cajun black flavor -- that unique dark, sweet subtlety -- but it's not as smooth and creamy as the other Royal Cajuns. I taste something in this blend that tastes off to me, like capers in a chocolate mousse, or tomato juice in a fine port. I see why some claim to taste something citrusy in this one, but I'm reminded more of solvent. Indeed this one takes my breathe away -- and not in a good way: unlike any other blend I know, this one dries out my throat and lungs.

This blend does not work for me. Cajun Black is a new process, so perhaps McClelland is experimenting with its possibilities. According to my tastebuds this experiment failed.

I again applaud McClelland for their Royal Cajuns, but I'm very glad I didn't try this one first because I doubt I would have tried the others, and that would have been most unfortunate since RCE and RCD -- especially RCD! my #1 'baccy -- are extraordinary. Though I generally love McClelland's blends, I cannot in good conscience give this blend more than one star.

Others obviously enjoy it, and I can understand why, and even agree with many of their conclusions; but, ultimately, I don't like sage in my flan.

UPDATE 10/28/10: My opinion of this blend hasn't changed over the course of the year.

However, I discovered that this blend works beautifully as a condiment for high-key blends that would benefit from a helping of something darker. For instance, I do a 50-50 mix of this with Ashton's Winding Road and it works beautifully.

Now I find myself ordering more tins of this one star blend just to have around as a great condiment for other blends. Go figure.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This deserves an A for effort and a D for execution. The smoke is very mild, nothing like the much loved Perique that they claim to dopple.

No real vitamin N, and it does tend to bite when I work it to get a little flavor. Not my thing, but by all means try it yourself.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (27)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

i like this! i found it to be quite flavorful and unique. rich, smooth, and satisfying. the tin aroma and the color are wonderful, it packs and burns with ease, and solicits many compliments about how good it smells burning. as we all know, this is blended with the "new perique" due to the la. st. james parrish hardships, while i am not so sure it is too similar to the original perique (which i like very much), i would accept it as an alternative on it's own merit any day. i applaud the group that had the foresight to develop this. i will return to this and i will try the other two in the series.

Well, I was enticed by the description to order a tin of this, and was not disappointed. True, it is not exactly my style. I would like to get my hands on some of the Cajun Black blending element and try blending it myself with a nice, up front Virginia flake. I hate to admit it, but I like to inhale my Virginia once in a while and feel that nice "bite," and this one is definately not an inhaler! But it is a uniquely nuanced blend, and going on quality alone might be a four star tobacco for some. I found it a bit cloying. I think I will enjoy this as an occasional treat along the lines of Just For Him's "Shortcut To Mushrooms;" the two are more similar in their feel than in their taste.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A McClelland brochure says Cajun Black is the first pipe tobacco to be developed in over 40 years. Virginia seed was grown and crossbred in Kentucky. This tobacco leaf is processed by fire-curing and Perique-style fermentation. This Perique-style pressing and fermentation gives the new Cajun Black leaf its characteristics.

RCS has a McCellandish strong, sweet buttery and raisin tin aroma as its key signature. It's coarse, chunky ribbon cut, one of the widest ribbon I've ever seen, particularly in the lighter leaf. It's 90% black and 10% blonde leaf. Moisture is less than in other McClelland blends. It packs readily. Tin date code on bottom: 980206, meaning tinned in 2006.

Another signature is that RCS is a VA with a sweet flavor and a mild salt and sour Perique effect. With careful attention, a chocolate-vanilla taste and aroma is noticed.

A third key element is a strong toasty taste that is not tangy or sharp. This toasty undertone is really nice.

Somewhat mild in taste and aroma, RCS is medium in nicotine strength. It leaves a moderate room note.

Definitely not a strong Perique style of tobacco; it emanates only a moderate truffle-like pugency of Perique.

RCS burns mostly to the bottom of the bowl and is only vaguely moist, with little gurgle. Three hours air-drying left it a bit more dry and slightly easier to light and burn to the bottom.

This is a somewhat medium all-day smoke. If you are looking for an expensive VA having mild Perique qualities, this is it. But, there are VA tobaccos available with St. James Perique blended in. For RCS, the Perique thing seems to be a promotional alternative designed to please smokers of quality VAPER blends that will likewise not offend non-smokers.

Overall: RCS: Liked this the most, due to a toasty undertone.

RCE: Liked somewhat; decent, in that it is mild.

RCD: Considered not even finishing the tin; plastic tone; lingering negative room note.

Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a coarse, wide cut blend of mainly blacks with bits of light VA that result in a cool smoke without any bite. I still prefer the burn rate of my VA flakes without rubout for a long, slow smoke. Moisture content was fine from the tin and the McClelland ketchup smell barely noticeable. Although this tastes like a mild aromatic to me, I believe its from the tobaccos and processing and no condensation or contamination of the briars was experienced. However, this one has little nicotine kick and although tasty, I'm looking for higher octane.

Bayoupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bayoupipe (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

"Special" is the first Royal Cajun I've tried. I should say that I am a McClelland fan, and I do not get the "tomato" smell or flavor that people often reference. Maybe my taste buds are different. That being said, I really enjoyed my first bowl. I smoked it in a corncob, and it compares favorably with many VaPers (even though Cajun Black is not technically Perique) that I have tried. Upon the first taste, I noticed a slight sweetness with a citrus overtone. About a third of the way down the bowl the flavor became more rich and Perique-like. By the bottom of the bowl, I would almost swear I tasted Cavendish...must just be the blend. I believe this tobacco would be even better with some age. It's worth cellaring for a year or so to see. This is a pleasant, medium flavored tobacco that is not heavy or overpowering in any way. The smoke itself is full and pleasing to both the eye and the palate. For VaPer fans, I would recommend it without hesitation.

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I want to like this tobacco. In fact, I do like this tobacco. But the reason I say I like it is because there is nothing that it does that could cause you to dislike it. Unless of course, you want to taste the tobacco in your pipe. I've been trying it in small bowls,medium bowls,large bowls and finally in an old Peterson's meerschaum. It seemed to start to hit its stride in the meerschaum for a minute or two but then fizzled out again as far as taste goes. An intriguing tobacco without a strong personality. I intend to dedicate a new meerschaum to it and see if I can find more to recommend it. One day later: Instead of a Meer, I chose an old olivewood bent from South Africa. For one reason or another I hadn't smoked it hardly at all. Well, it was a match right from the start. Beautiful! Wonderful! I like it so much I may never smoke any other tobacco. still can't give it four stars simply due to the fact that not everyone has a spare pipe just sitting around waiting to be used for this weed,also, its way to hard to keep lit. This is a tobacco that will compliment other blends as well as being a good smoke in the right pipe.

Fumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumeur (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I enjoyed this quite a bit. The flavor is different from other tobaccos, and strikes me as unique. I would describe it as sweet, smoky, a bit citrusy, and a bit peppery. It's not a strong flavor, and it won't overpower you. Quite enjoyable.

dtboomer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtboomer (6)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The only real negative about this tobacco was the A1 steak sauce smell it had in the tin.

It was a little moist, so I dried it out. Packed well, burned well with no gunky dottle.

The flavor was slightly sweet and smoky, and this was consistent through the bowl. Very mild tasting with no bite, could be an everyday smoke. I think it might be a little better with age.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a fairly complex blend, it has a spicy start with some notes of citrus, maybe lemon zest. As the bowl progresses the flavors get richer and more heavy, the sweetness goes away and the layers of chocolate and perique (or the simulated perique) start to take the forefront. I prefer this to many other dark and complex blends because it does not have the heavy nicotine that is almost always associated with this style of tobacco. It also does not have the tomato smell associated with some of their other blends.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would describe RCS as a light aromatic that is smooth, mild and sweet, i.e., it under powers rather than overpowers. I experienced no bite nor did I get much of a nic kick that I like in my tobaccos. The Cajun Black tobacco is touted by McClelland as ?the first new type of leaf processing in 40 years.? I won?t doubt its word but I found it ever so reminiscent of a couple of sweet, black cavendish processed blends my local tobacconist suggested to me and that I smoked in my younger years or that you may very well have smoked in your neophyte pipe smoking years. However, the coarse cut of the tobaccos in RCS is atypical of the longer cuts found in many cavendish blends. RCS is another of those blends that I will defer to newbies as I?m sure they will like it. On the other hand, I suspect that many veteran pipe smokers, who prefer a more natural tobacco taste and more strength, will find Royal Cajun Special not so special in short order.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 8.0 out of 10.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

This is my least favorite of the series. The Cajun Black doesn't seem to have the prominence in this blend that it enjoys in the other two. Overall, this blend is sweet and mild, reminding me quite a lot of a high quality Half and Half. The room note is delightful and the tobacco seems to burn well. It has the typical bite expected from a Virginia concoction and is rather smooth on the palate. However, this one lacks any depth and its flavor, although not unpleasant, just doesn't make me want to keep puffing. I found that this blend was really average and while I don't consider this a bad tobacco, I certainly would recommend the other members of this series first.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I was eager to test this new Cajun Black tobacco, as I very much enjoy Perique and Virginia tobaccos. This was a unique blend, much of the background flavor of Perique without the peppery frontal taste. I happen to like the pepper in Perique so I was a little disappointed, this is however a good blend, with a rather smoky taste.

It packed and lit well and would be good for those wanting to try something different, I will finish the tin and might try the other two Royal Cajun blends, but this will not be a regular smoke for me.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Opening the tin reveals a mostly black tobacco with about 10% lighter leaf. The cut is short, but somewhat coarse, promising a cool burn. The aroma reminds me of black cavendish, with traces of chocolate and prunes. That combination also shows up in GLP Cumberland, which also uses a dark-fired Burley (although not fermented). The tobacco was somewhat moist for me, and very slow to air out. Is there PG present?

The flavor is slightly sweet, with mildly smokey overtones, and generally mild in character. It does burn cool and dry, but I find it less spicy and interesting than I prefer. Good for a starter, or in the afternoon, but too mild for evening.

A good choice for all-day if you find the flavor rewarding. I will try the others in the trilogy to see if they pique my tastebuds.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Very Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I stole a couple of bowlfuls of Cajun Special from my father's stash and really enjoyed it. It's low nicotine content was the only negative I could find, and the reason for 3 stars instead of 4. But that's ok, this stuff has plenty going for it outside of nicotine. It is sweet, smokey, smooth, and spicey. Kinda reminds me of a lightly sweetened dense flourless chocolate cake, with a cinnamon garnish (though this is no aromatic blend).

This Cajun Black (TM?) is quite an innovation. I hope it makes it's way into many new concotions. If it does, we are all in for good piping in the future. If I like it so much, why didn't I buy some for myself? I had tasted it at the end of an expensive two week vacation during which I already had spent around $200 on tobak. AND, it was only availible in Sacramento at the Briar Patch Tobacco Shop; 50 grams for $14.25. Hopefully there'll be room in my next Smokingpipes order to try all three of the Royal Cajun Family. . .. . and hopefully in bigger tins. yummy complex stuff.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

And I am glad to be the second to recommend this. I first tried it at the Chicago Pipe Show; McClelland was passing out trilogy tins of their newest Cajun Black series. Unlike distinguished gentleman, I prefer the Ebony for its distinct jet black richness and nubian subtlety. Yes, Royal Cajun is similar to Best of Show in its black and lovely speckled gold/lemon appearance. It's not as special as I had hoped, though it is a treat. The description leaves much more to the imagination. The aroma, more worcestershire than BBQ is distinct and woodsy. You could smoke this all day and never get tongue bite; something rare for the sweet, though bitey McClelland aged Virginias, especially their rubbed out flakes. Definitely a force to be reckoned with, these excellent Cajun blends make a fine impression. Tobacco afficionados should heartily welcome tobacciana's latest surprise debut.

Three and a half of five stars

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

I am fortunate to have smoked this excellent blend of skillful curing and inspired blending. The result is a smoking experience for pipesters seeking pleasures both subtle and complex. It burns easily without leaving undue mess in the bowl save grey ash. The element of Cajun Black is going to be around for a long time once people have the opportunity to smoke it. I have no problem recommending this to anyone, except maybe those who do not smoke Perique. I've already started laying in a supply to cellar, since I don't think I can keep it out of my rotation of blends I keep open. I have little discipline in this matter.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a CAO Dunhill Man Pasha

I feel privilged to be the first to review this wonderful blend. Upon opening the tin one is greeted by a very dark and chunky cut tobacco.It is very similar in appearance to "Best of Show". The aroma is similar to an aromatic,yet THIS IS NOT A SWEET AROMATIC blend.THIS IS MORE "PERETTI-ESQUE" IN ITS TREATMENT OF A NATURAL TOBACCO WITH AN AROMATIC ELEMENT ADDED. It is also very moist, so I advise at least 30 mins. of open air exposure. 1st light yields a very naturally sweet flavor. This flavor is incredibly rich,yet does not change throughout the length of the smoke. This new "Perique Style Process" does produce a very unique flavor. It is not that typical McClelland ketchup smell. It has more of a vanilla cased Virginia smell.The smoke goes rather quickly and burns to a cool ash. This is for the adventurous. It is a cross between an aromatic and a virginia blend. Highly recommended for the smoker who likes change. 4of 4 stars. P.S. THIS IS ACTUALLY A LITTLE BETTER THAN THE "CAJUN EBONY".