A blend of five exceptional red and stoved Virginias seasoned liberally with cool, subtly smokey Cajun Black. An incredible smoking experience - deeply rich in flavor, compelling in aroma, exquisitely mild on the palate.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia Based
Strength
Taste

3.1

Updated 1/30/14- Corrected review, I had mistakenly switched reviews for the Dark and Ebony.

I like it ! I believe this also has the "Perique" style, "pressure/stewing" ,processing of the Virginia leaf , it gives a whole new Tobacco. The processing gives the Virginias a more buttery, sweet flavor, smoother. Interesting through the whole bowl, I almost hate to see a bowl end.

There is a slight background cocoa/ flavor but the predominant flavor is a sweet dark Virginia with heavy base notes. I do find this one dimensional like Esoteriaca's "Blackpool" ( without the liquorish) but similar in sweetness.

I would recommend allowing this to breath and dry before trying.

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: Butera's Royal Vintage Blended Flake without the Perique, Esoterica's Blackpool ( without the liquorish ).

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This Cajun Black: the nicest surprise I could get back from the U.S. !!!

The inner disc tells the story: a Virginia seed grown in Kentucky. I would say it's a kind a natural black cavendish, mild, spicey and smokey. Truly delicious. I wouldn't say CB is something to imitate the Perique. This is another thing.

RCD is something dark, very dark, almost black. Not wet. A bit complicate to light, but then it goes his way without great troubles. Mild, but not exagerately. Sweet like stoved virginias can be, without the very minimum bite, no matter how hard you draw. Spicy like the best Orientals can offer. Softly smokey and citrusy like Syrian Latakia, without being leathery.

Before me, Kingcole says it right: RCD smokes like an aromatic without being an aromatic. Nice statement. I would add mine: smokes like a mild english mixture without being an EM. I do think each smoker can find his motto: that's because RCD offers many layers of depth (DK).

I usually prefer blends several notches stronger. Here we are in the mild territory, but that is counterbalanced by a consistent flavour body, which makes RCD a satisfying and contemplative smoke.

I'm of those thinking RCD is a true masterpiece.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This tobacco has caused sleepless nights for me. It makes me wonder if the tobaccos I prefer are not always the most complex and flavorful. I prefer the taste of Royal Cajun Ebony to this, but I find this one to have many more layers of depth.

RCD had a taste like a fine oriental tobacco to me at times, a taste like a flavored burley at others, and finally a taste like a highly matured straight virginia at others, all the while bringing out the wonderfully rich spicy flavor of the Cajun Black (whatever that really is!). This comes dark in the tin (duh!) and came in a fairly dry state. The flavors were round and full but mild. Alternately spicy and creamy, but always earthy and highly nuanced. I found layer upon layer of complexity and "color" with this one. It almost wore me out when I was smoking purely for tasting notes! I found it difficult to concentrate on anything else while smoking.

What I find truly odd with this one is that I will smoke it only occasionally while RC Ebony will be in my regular rotation. Even so, this is a 4 star blend and I highly recommend it. It's a stunning effort.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh Holy Zeus this one is yummy! From the very first puff I knew I was smoking something extraordinary.

Unbelievably sweet for a non-aromatic, and yet so marvelously pure and natural. And smooth?! Zounds! I don't know any other smoke that feels and smells so good coming through my nostils. And zero bite, no matter how hard you puff at it (and I tried!).

calavera astutely compared this to another McClelland masterpiece, Dark Star. RCD is like Dark Star's coarse (ie: easy to prep and light), more gregarious cousin: it's just as subtle, but less complex and mysterious, and a lot more playful, with the sweet dark flavor coming front and center.

But it's not a monochromatic sweetness at all, but one suffused with a myriad of wonderful spices -- predominantly sweet ones like clove and nutmeg, but with tiny little hints of something tangy and sour here, something peppery there -- that together form an impeccably balanced melange of flavors that deepens and develops throughout the bowl.

But the flavor never overpowers. It's like emmbee says: "This is one of the most understated tobaccos you could smoke, and yet, the flavor reaches out politely and ubiquitously without offending." emmbee also likens RCD to a "magnificently aged single malt scotch", and I find that another apt comparison.

To contribute my own synaesthetic metaphor: if Dark Star is a Berg String Quartet, then Royal Cajun Dark is a piece by JS Bach in G Major, playfully and serenely joyous.

Great, absolutely great. My congratulations to McClelland for developing a whole new genre that can produce such a sublime concoction! I can't wait to try the other blends in this series.

UPDATE: Two months later, and this seems to have become my default blend. Absolutely love it. I've decided that it is more a fine port than a single malt scotch. I've tried the other Royal Cajun blends (which I will review at some future date), and this one is definitely the best (for my taste buds, at least). My #1 tobacco. Beer (reviewer below) nailed it when he said "if you are into dark but subtle tobaccos, give it a try", for indeed RCD hits the bullseye in my happy spot.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

A blend that tries to be new and innovative is always interesting to try. And this line from McClelland really is something "different": new recipes, new processing of the leaf, and hopefully new flavours.

Alas, the test of fire showed that while this is a good tobacco, it is a little underwhelming... at least for my taste.

Very dark and stoved, with a fruity sweetness that lurks in the background behind leather, cloves and other spices: not a bad trademark signature. To me, the problem is that even when dried a bit and smoked very very slowly it still tastes a bit watery, face-powderish and too gentle in flavour.

It's not bad, mind my words! And it definitely has body (plus some unplesant astringency and mouth-drying quality typical of several American virginia blends)... but it is so subtle and delicate in its aromas that I am left wanting more (or, better, wanting a bowl of something else to fill my tastebuds).

Anyway, it's finely crafted and if you are into dark but subtle tobaccos, give it a try: you will probably enjoy it more than I did.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Though people and things may strive for perfection, few reasonably attain it. RCD is an exception to anything in or out of the world of tobacco. Any blend with this amount and variety of Virginia would be bitey at least due to the high sugar contents released during the curing process. However, the Virginias are orchestrated with the dark, smokey Cajun - which I will assume is a black cavendish/perique combo - to create a harmonious balance. Any serious tobacco afficionado, especially lovers of McClelland cannot help but admire this tobacco. Like most McCs, the tin aroma is smokey, with a hint of burnt ember ala British Woods, my all time favorite McC standard. The burn is slow and even, the perfect companion to a good book and a snifter of brandy. The taste releases just the right hint of sweetness with enough resiliency to remind us of the sourness of the Cajun garnish. Its curing and aging process removes every possible bit of sting from the smoke while releasing a deep, woodsy taste that's light on the palate. This is one of the most understated tobaccos you could smoke, and yet, the flavor reaches out politely and ubiquitously without offending. Tin and room note vie for the nose's attention, and they get it! Having found most of the rage regarding Pease or Dunhill's (Nightcap) perfection at blending hype and herd mentality, this is certainly not the case here. Like a magnificently aged single malt scotch, RCD is teasing, delicious and satisfying, a rare pleasure befitting the aristocratic art that is pipe smoking. This is the best of the recently introduced Royal Cajun series and now one of my desert island choices. McC has brought out one of the most refined and elegant new blends any pipesmoker could have the pleasure of trying. Splendid!

Five and a half of five stars

calavera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calavera (26)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This reminded me a lot of Dark Star. The tin aroma was virtually the same as that of Dark Star. Loose shag cut that was almost exclusively black.

Was rather wet, and should be dried before smoking. Had to relight several times due to the moisture. The taste was dark and sweet with no casing detected. I can't say that I tasted anything that I could definitely say was the Cajun Black. The taste was that of a Va/perique blend with a nice sweet and sour taste but with none of the horrible peppery burnt taste of perique.

I look forward to trying the other blends.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had the chance recently to open a tin of this dated back to 2008. The smell was a spicy, smoky, cedar with hints of sweetness coming through ever so slightly. For me it was very addicting and I truly enjoyed it. I was further impressed with the complexity that was to follow with the rich creamy smoke that was ever so sweet, ever so spicy, and had just the right amount of smokiness to it. If every tin is as rich and intriguing as this one Ill be on top of this for a loooooong time.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (32)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I recently smoked a five year old tin of this. Opening the tin gave view to loose coarse cut ribbons in various sizes. As one would expect it was dark black throughout with traces of light brown. The tobacco was dry to the touch and smelt of cedar and spice.

After lighting it, the first thing I noticed was a subtle milk chocolate sweetness. As I progressed down the bowl I noticed a slight sour taste I could not put my finger on mixed with the subtle chocolate flavor. At times I could almost pick out a light peaty smokiness with hints of black pepper and at others an almost floral note mixed in with the chocolate. The room note was pleasant leaving behind a mild sweetness in the air. All the tastes were very subtle to me through multiple bowls in briars, cobs, and meerschaums. I would like to think this blend may have been a bit too complex for my limited palate to notice everything that was going on, but it may just be a milder smoke than I am used to having.

If you like a mild smoke with quite a bit going on, then this blend is for you. My tastes of late have been toward blends that are more in your face so I may have to revisit Royal Cajun Dark somewhere down the road. As of now, I probably will not be keeping any more on hand as it did nothing for me. I neither love it nor hate it.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This was one of the first 5 blends I ever smoked. That being said it was a surprisingly good experience. I remember at the time I thought it was rather spicy and yet surprisingly smooth. I also remember at the time it bit terribly, I charred my tongue more than once on this blend, but at the time I was a very new pipe smoker and had no idea how to sip a pipe. I ended up using most of the tin to top a whiskey aromatic that I liked, this seemed to work well for me back then although I can't really remember how it specifically tasted. I would like to revisit this smoke, as I have fond memories of it even though I couldn't properly enjoy it at the time not really knowing how to smoke this sort of blend.

KINGCOLE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KINGCOLE (10)

This one is much milder than I had expected. Since I gravitate toward rather heavy, heady, stuff, this was a bit of a let down; however, I must say that this is a very well-conceived mixture. The flavor is dominated by black virginia and bolstered by pronounced spice notes. RCD burns cool, dry, and without bite. My overall impression is that RCD is a natural that smokes like an aromatic - - sort of like Capt. Black without the sugar, flavorings, bat wings, sloth droppings, etc. This could be an all-day smoke for someone who, unlike me, smokes all day long. The nicotine load is a bit lite for me, but after a bowl or two of stronger fair, this one comes off quite nicely. I don't know if I'll ever re-order, but I do enjoy this and I think that it could find a lot of friends among the sane smokers who, unlike me, eschew the likes of 1792 Flake, Five Bros., and Purple Cow.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I could not wait for this to become available, after reading about it I just had to get my hands on it,...Wow,I dig this stuff, what an awsome rich smoke, this takes me to a level of intoxacation. American, down home, prime blending. the aroma is potpourri to the nose of an avid pipe smoker. I will not give my review on the other 2 blends, only because I would be repeating myself. 5 stars in my book, I love McClelland, you gotta give em credit, they never stop striving to please the palet of ALL pipe smokers.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think this is the best of McClelland's Cajun series. It has some depth and complexity and a rich pre-light aroma. The taste itself was a bit too mild for my own taste so I upped it from mild-medium to medium with a shot of Blending Perique. This seems to have worked out well for me though I wouldn't encourage anyone else to do that since it is very good on its own.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tin: Much, much more subdued compared to RCS, being a little smoky, but not very sweet or buttery like RCS. RCD is lightly moist and just a tad sticky. It is 90% black and 10% dark black-brown.

Packing & Lighting: It packed easy enough, but is not so easy to keep lit. Soon after firing up, a small amount of gurgle persists, but it generally burns to the bottom of the bowl. Multiple bowls give an undue accumulation of moisture around the shank.

Taste & Aroma: I get a peppery feel only when the smoke is directed straight onto the tongue. If it could be termed a chocolate taste, the result is a cloying effect of a plastic palate. There seems to be a vinegar component in the aroma. I even considered not finishing the tin.

While puffing lightly, the smoke is cool like menthol, even though there is none in it. Something akin to cedar/woodsy, I would describe RCD as having a distinct plastic dark chocolate taste and aroma.

Nicotine: Mild to moderate, slightly less than RCS.

Room Note: Although mild, diagreeable and lingered like an aromatic.

Overall: I didn't care for RCD at all. It seems like an aromatic. A couple of weeks after opening the tin, it stays lit easier and has a nicer taste and leaves much less moisture in the pipe. 2.0 stars.

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to agree with other positive reviews so far for this blend. And of course, the new process and resulting new blend are intriguing. Overall the flavor is subtle and many-shaded. It has a very nice taste to it. It may not be a world-class blend, but I am truly enjoying a few bowls of this stuff. And it is worth picking up a tin just to say you've tried such an interesting new blend (and to support them in their efforts, when so many other blends and even brands are disappearing lately).

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me begin by saying that I have liked all of the McClelland blends I have tried. This would be amazing if it wasn't so subtle. Nice cut, easy to pack, almost perfect moisture upon opening and smells really good. Like others, I detected flavors of clove, cedar and spice. The problem is that these great flavors are muted and remain in the background. It's as if the bowl stays half asleep. I think this burns hot - but that might be because I am oversmoking, trying to wake it up. I've read this is the best blend of the series. That's too bad if true because I was hoping one of the others would have the same components but with the volume turned way up. I'll stick to Dark Star or St. James for now and continue to sample Mc's bulk offerings. Maybe with a little more time and development we will see a blend in this series that packs more punch.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Having smoked this ten times in various pipes, I figger I've plumbed the depths of this blend enough to review it. I find it very well behaved, and tasty, one might even say delicious. Very little to none of the infamous McClelland vinegar aroma or flavor either in the tin or in the pipe. Since I smoked a tin of Mississippi Mud from C&D recently, it seems helpful to compare the two. RCD is very similar in that they are both dark blends with sweetness, smokiness, and spiciness. However, RCD is much more subtle with none of the drawbacks that MM has: namely, the discordant flavors and the pipe-contaminating black cavendish.

So why not four stars? Honestly, this is just not what I want from a pipe. For what it was, it was great. It tasted like a cinnamon scone: sweet and bready with a bit of spice. But I want a steakhouse or an Indian food restaurant, not a bakery when I light up. I want cayenne pepper and cumin, not cinnamon and nutmeg. That's just me. This is a good blend, even a great one. But there are too many great blends to smoke them all, so you have to limit yourself somehow. This is highly recommended only for the aromatophiles who want something more natural.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

So far, this tobacco has been most enjoyable. This blend is dark, rich, peppery, smokey, and possesses the general qualities I would have expected from a tobacco named Cajun Black. Simply put, this is the best blend in the series. This blend is smooth and gentle on the palate, burns well, and has a very nice aroma. It fills the mouth with rich smoke begging to be puffed again. I really liked this one, but I am holding off on the four star rating until I smoke a little more. Overall, I am impressed with this one and recommend it!

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, this is a horse of a different color. An all black blend that smells spicy and tastes spicy. This is significantly different than a perique type spicy. Like med hot Mexican food- It never gets unpleasant. It give a nice tingle through the nose, flavor is a bit intense at light up, but immediately falls in line. From there consistently nice and spicy With some sweet moments. A great blend and made for a very pleasant smoke. Once again my only fault is it could have been a bit stronger in the nicotine dept. Recommended.

mbmc82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mbmc82 (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Nice. Spice and pepper yet smooth and gracious. The bowl gives off notes of cedar and coffee. As for taste, the blend was full without the long term pipe mouth. You won't go wrong with this little jewel.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

It is somewhat a privilege trying something hitherto not attempted until now. Actually, in the case of Cajun Black and the McClelland Tobacco Company's first attempts blending with it, this pipe smoker finds himself at the headwaters of two new streams. One stream is a new process, the other rivulet blending with the resulting component.

Cajun Black and Royal Cajun blends are both interpretations. CB is an interpretation of an idea to double-process tobacco leaf typically flue- or air-cured, using fire and then "stew in ones juices" fermentation ala Perique. Since the constituent leaf is not limited to St. James Parish, look for other tobacco processors giving this a try in years to come along with L.A. Poche. As Latakia produced by different processors varies, it seems reasonable to expect the same about CB, to give but one of many possible analogies.

Royal Cajun blends are also first interpretations with CB in commercial smoking pipe mixtures. Provided other tobacco blending houses have ample access to CB, there's a whole lot of tobacco reviewing to come.

McClelland was smart to release multiple blends using CB, for knowing what CB tastes like as a blending component requires comparison of blends containing the CB common denominator. May there be a day soon when one may buy unadulterated Cajun Black to taste in isolation from other tobaccos and sauces. I am not sure that in any of the inaugural blends with CB anyone but L.A. Poche and the McNeil band know if pipe smokers are tasting CB ?unplugged? or not. Epistemological questions are yet hanging for most.

For now, CB is initially intriguing and what it will be seems at first glance promising. Since it is processed two ways, it has the attributes of a blend within itself. The possibilities of layering, folding, migrating and infusion of flavors with Cajun Black are just dawning. I doubt Latakia and Perique processors need liquidate their assets with the appearance of CB, but label artists will have work in the foreseeable future.

Hmmm, pipes dedicated to aromatics, pipes for English blends, pipes for Virginias and now pipes for Cajun Black. Que bono?

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my least favorite of the Cajun Series. A very Virginia blend. I am more of a Burley man myself. Not bad at all if you are a Virginia/McClelland fan.Nicely done and very cool. I find it a bit drying on the throat and just so-so for my tastes. I was greatly impressed with the "Special" but that has Burley. Try it. It is good stuff. A very unique smoking experience.