A classic blend containing Orientals, smoked Kentucky, Louisiana perique and 40% Syrian latakia.

BrandBrebbia

3.6
Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

At my advice this is one of the best Blakan Blend (as well as the Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend) I've ever smoked and also one of my favorite kind of tobacco. I agree with who think that is better when dried. When the Italian kentucky comes out gives the sharp note that cut the sweet undertones of orientals and perique and enphasize instead their spicy and exotic qualities. The Syrian latakia of this blend is awesome, smoky, pointy and smooth at the same time. When the tin is fresh opened all that great qualities are kinda sleepy and wait for a sort of seasoning to comes out. It's not a allday tobacco, but a special occasion type, very elegant, and gives full satisfaction in a single bowl. Mysteriously appreciated (or at least not hated) by the near people, despite the strong presence of the "atypical and unaromatized" factor. A "must" also for the perique lovers, that last dressing, put together with the Italian kentucky, in fact at my opinion are what makes the unique character of this extraordinary blend.

Type: Balkan Mixture ; Contents: Orietals, Italian Kentucky, Louisiana Perique, Syrian Latakia (and a little virginia I suspect, but just a little) ; Cut: Ribbon ; Humidity: Very wet in the first time, I highly recommend to dry it well ; Lighting: Maybe stressfull in the opening but easy and constant after the drying ; Pipe recommended: Any type is good, but for this one I prefer the straight ones or an half bent with a middle size bowl.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

First, let me say that the inner paper disc tells me that Balkan by Brebbia is, alongwith Latakia Flake no. 9, produced by DTM instead of Planta. So we are talking of German products for both the lines, under the trademark of Brebbia.

Balkan is a beautifully contrasted EM very similar to BBBB - also by DTM - and shares quite the same components. Seems to me that Balkan is just a bit milder and rounder. The body is medium/full. It's meant to contain 40% Latakia, which I believe, while the presence of Kentucky and Perique is about minimal, just to help the other component in adding strenght and body to an otherwise mild/medium EM.

I taste a masculine but round just enough - non agressive - smoke, and can understand it's described as Balkan (which actually isn't) just because this blend is aimed to obtain the overall effect of say a Sobranie 759, just with different ingredients.

Balkan smokes absolutely dry and cool to the very end. It comes quite wet in the tin, so my test is from a year opened tin.

Overall, Balkan, BBBB and Midnight Ride are the only EM available in Italy which I found to recall the "effects" of the great products of the past.

That's why I'm rating this **

There's a lot going on here and it's all good. Sweet and sour, smoky and woody, spicy and earthy, buttery and leathery. It's all in here. This is a wonderful blend with the various flavors tugging the taste buds in all different directions. Complex, medium bodied with med-full flavors. I'll have to stock up on this one. It pushes all the right buttons for me.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

What a wonderful Balkan. Sipped or puffed, it shows you wonderfully rich sides of a precious coin. This packs well, after some drying, and lights easily. The smoke is dense and chewy and the aroma is fantastic. Sometimes hard to find, moderately pricey, but worth every cent. As a previous brother noted this is a special occasion smoke and it definitely fills you up after one bowl. Highly recommended.

Smoke with a happy heart, fellow brothers and sisters of the briar.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Objective: Classic circular tin, non obtrusive green label with name of blend and maker noted prominently. Came my way as a gift from a friend. Moisture content was somewhat wet, but dried well in 30 minutes to fill a bowl. Price was reasonable after checking online, approx. $12 bucks a tin. Packed well, lit well, great volume of cool smoke, lovely.

Subjective: Tin aroma was musty and slightly smokey. Creamy smoke with a nutty aroma. Taste on the tongue is stout, but leaves a clean feeling. Cannot detect the perique as a major contributor until mid bowl and then look out!! The Orientals are the star, however. Excellent blend.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Tin aroma is amazing, strong and soft at the same. Incredible balance between the tasty and complex Oriental tobaccos and the large percentage of Latakia. The Latakia is softened by the Perique, and the Oriental leaves. In the tin the Latakia has the soft smoky aroma you expect. But it's somehow smoother here, scent reminds my of new leather. Orientals are similarly softened but their delicious flavors are a big presence in the tin aroma. Dried apples, dark chocolate, rubber, campfire, are just a few of the scents I found in the aroma of this tobacco.

Smokes fairly cool and very tasty. Sorry to some of the previous reviewers but IMHO this is a good example of the Balkan style. In a true Balkan blend, the Orientals and the Latakia balance, neither one overpowers the other. This is evident in Brebbia's version - in the aroma or in the smoking. I like this stuff, I'm ordering more right now. Moderate tendency to bite perhaps because of the dryness of the tobacco in the tin I got, maybe just the Virginia, will update when I try the next tin.

This was always the distinction between the styles as I understood it.

Oriental Tobacco Blends (a.k.a. “English Blends”)

English Blends - Latakia is the dominant flavor and scent of the blend. Orientals take a back seat to the Latakia here. Balkan Blends - Latakia is balanced and matched by the Orientals. Neither overshadows the other.

Oriental Blends - Orientals are the dominant flavors and scent of the blend. Latakia, if used at all, takes a back seat to the Orientals. (These blends aren't as popular as the English or Balkan styles, but they were in the past.)

{See G.L. Pease's FAQ on his site; and Mr. Pease's, Jason Newquist's and others' comments on alt.smokers.pipes (USENET newsgroup)}

UPDATE: Two more tins later - consistent quality. Tongue bite seemed much less, I have to bump it up to 4 Stars. Putting it on the favorites list.

birdseye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
birdseye (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I tend to measure these kinds of blends against what I consider to be the gold standard, Penzance. I found the Brebbia Balkan to be actually a bit smoother than Penzance but lacking that oriental zing that one finds in Penzance. However, I enjoyed this blend immensely, finding it to be to my taste more of a classic English blend than a Balkan. But then my taste buds are a tad old! Anyway, I now have Brebbia Balkan in my tobacco rotation and happy to have it there. If you are looking for a mild to medium English blend smoke, I don't think you can do better than this Brebbia blend which, I believe, is actually made by Dan's and could, in fact, be Dan's Bill Bailey's. Whatever - I give it four stars.

enodiesop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
enodiesop (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Strong and mild at the same time. Tin is right wet. A particular note is that after some day, when it dry, Kentucky Toscano aroma comes up.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)

Came very dry in the tin. Nutty, smoky overtones and full tobacco flavor. A bit harsh, but no bite.

Whenever I do a review, there is sometimes a conflict with my personal feeling about the blend verses how the public at large may respond. Balkan, for me as a medium English smoker, is a two star blend, but I can easily see it being a four star blend for those that enjoy a heavy dose of Latakia. Balkan packs well and is made of quality tobacco's. The heavy dose of Syrian adds an interesting dimension. My issue is that it is so dominate that the other tobacco's seem to get lost in the blend resulting in a lack of balance that I am looking for in a blend. For those that like a heavy dose of Latikia, I find Balkan to be a much overlooked blend, it just doesn't fit in my rotation.

Jimkrupnik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jimkrupnik (2)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tend to prefer Latakia/Oriental/Perique blends as my mainstream smokes, and I also tend to enjoy Brebbia products more often than not. My expectations were pretty high with this blend, based upon it's description, and I was not disappointed overall. It is pretty mild smoking for what I expected, and has nice character all around. It stays lit, does not attack your tongue, and is an all in all pleasant smoking experience.

On the surprise side of things though, I expected more spice notes to come through in it's taste. Mind you, it was very good, but after recently trying out a tin of SHPC "Great Hiatus", which based upon it's published mix should have offered a bit less of a complex spicy taste than Brebbia Balkan, the Great Hiatus blend seemed to be a match for Balkan at most all points of character, but both it's taste and aroma took it to a higher level of enjoyment for me. SHPC Great Hiatus delivered the delicious taste impact that I had expected from Brebbia Balkan.

That said, I really enjoyed Brebbia Balkan, and it landed on my "keeper" list. It's a very nice blend for people who enjoy it's major tobacco components, and won't let you down. It was just a matter of bad luck that it followed Great Hiatus in my test cycle.

Jim K.

pipesomkinsquirrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesomkinsquirrel (16)

I ordered a tin of this after reading the reviews on this forum. I had previously ordered Brebbia's Latakia Flake and English Mixture #70. Both of those I really enjoyed, so I gave the Balkan a shot.

All and all, not a bad tobacco. It is a lot lighter than what I am typically used to in a Balkan, but not at all unpleasant.

It packs very easily, stays lit very well, and smokes very dry. The moisture content out of the tin was perfect. This is a blend that just gets better with age as well. This is a blend I dig into late in the evening every once in a while when I have a craving for something a little heavier, but not quite a bed time tobacco.

It can bite if puffed on too quickly, but as long as one is patient and calm with this mixture, he or she should find a lot of relaxation and enjoyment out of it.

I would recommend this to someone who is just entering the world of Balkans or Orientals. It is defiantly not a wife pleaser, and I find it is best enjoyed in the privacy of one's study with a good book.

kestrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kestrel (3)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a delicious tobacco. I've to date been mostly a Virginia/Vaper smoker, but for a real introduction to Latakia, this stuff is wonderful. The smoky Latakia competes with sweet Virginia for most of the flavor profile. There's a noticeable spice from the Perique and a background dry chocolate taste that I attribute to the Kentucky. I love this stuff. Keeps you interested through the bowl as new flavors dominate depending on where you're at in the bowl and how you're smoking it. That barbeque Latakia comes through all the way though. Got this one in a briar with a good cake in it (mostly broke-in with Virginias) and it can't be beat.

Tucson Sammy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tucson Sammy (2)

This is the one to which return in haste after trying new tobaccos that I find lacking. I prefer Balkan blends, and the touch of Perique gives it the best of all flavors.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I must admit that I was quite surprised with the quality of this Balkan Mixture. I have tried other Brebbia offerings and found them mediocre at best, but this is an outstanding tobacco. You can taste every component: a good amount of Perique, tasty Kentucky, rich Virginias and Orientals and of course, Syrian Latakia, but all those singularities meld into a full body tobacco that can please me at mornings or evenings just as well.

I was hesitant as to give it 3 or 4 stars, considering that it's no match to Odyssey, Charing Cross, Balkan Sobranie and a few others godly mixtures, but this is excellent in its own right.

One of the two new Brebbia productions for the European market (the other being Latakia Flake nr.9). These two blends are manufactured in Germany, and you can see a great similarity with two CAO tobaccos (Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend and Old Ironsides).

The first thing that comes to mind with the blend is that it isn't a Balkan at all, despite its name. The kentucky burley presence is evident both at sight as in taste. The cut is a medium ribbon. Packing and lighting are easy and you won't need to relight to the end of the bowl.

If you're looking for a smooth blend look somewhere else: here the taste is rough, with all the flavours separated. Only the Perique is definitely in the background. The Syrian latakia declared percentage is pretty optimistic in my opinion, but it's very tasteful, while the kentucky gives a nice earthy tone. The flavour is "heavy" and will keep consistent throughout the bowl.

Recommended as an after lunch (or dinner) to smokers who don't put delicacy on the top of their desires.