This unique combination of Virginia, Turkish, Cyprian Latakia, and a hint of Perique is a balanced, robust, and satisfying blend similar to its' Mongrel predecessor.

BrandJack's Tobacco
Blended ByJoe Harb
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Perique, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Tolerable

Many thanks to Joe Harb (a tobacco blender who is now a reviewer for Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine) for sending me about a dozen of his creations to smoke and review here. There's only one thing better than pipe tobacco and that's FREE pipe tobacco. (-;

I know that Mangy Dog is supposed to be similar to Mongrel Dog, but frankly, I couldn't detect any noticible difference. I guess my tongue took the day off.

Anyway, this is a lighter fare type English tobacco with a Turkish presence that I rather enjoyed. There is too much Perique in the blend for my personal tastes, but I am sure Perique freaks will really love this Mangy Dog. And, like all of Harb's creations, the moisture content is perfect, the cut is even across the board and the blend stays lit well and burns dry right down to the bottom.

kppeterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kppeterson (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Here is a tobacco that I sorely miss. Years ago I was given a bowl or two sample from Joe Harb and enjoyed it. Later that summer I attended the Milwaukee Pipe Show and stopped by Jack's before I left town and bought a big bag of this stuff. This was maybe the first blend where the Perique really stood out in a good way ....it was perfect after a spaghetti dinner or any other rich meal; the sweet red Virginia, maybe just slightly over the top spice from the Perique(in the best way) and a balanced amount of Latakia and orientals. The closest thing I've had to this is Frog Morton On The Bayou and that seems sweeter and the Latakia isn't as distinct. I believe this contains some McClelland blending components so that's probably appropriate an appropriate comparison. Amazing room note and aftertaste. Four stars and highly recommended.

Edit: While doing some research writing this review I see that Joe passed on last month. Very sad to hear this. He had befriended me on the P&T forums years ago and spoke many times at the Chicago show. The last 6 years I kind of faded in and out of the hobby and hadn't run into him at the last few shows. What a kind and wonderful pipeman, he will be missed. RIP Joe.

Pipe Used: Ardor, Ashton's, Norther Briars, Corallos

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 8yrs

Purchased From: Jack's Tobacco

Similar Blends: Maybe a cousin to Frog Morton On The Bayou..