The same tobaccos as No.063 with the proportions of Perique and Latakia exchanged, making this a heavy Latakia blend for the English smoker.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.2

I have to set the scene for this. I live on top of a high ridge in the Ozarks. Great view. I can see for miles. Wooded ridges, distant rolling pastures dotted with cattle. A fresh 12 inches of snow on the ground. My recliner pointed toward the view. Warm and safe inside. A mug of strong English tea ( dark, no cream or sugar ). A little light jazz in the background. A bowl of Mountain Camp in my pipe. Perfect. On to the blend.
Shortly after lighting the Latakia and the Orientals meld into one delicious flavor indicating balance. The Perique is felt on the tongue and in the nose. A perfect amount of sweetness from the Virginias. The Burley almost hidden. Wonderful, wonderful flavors from start to finish. Enjoyed the bowl so much I had to have another. Perfect body and rich clouds of smoke. I think this was one of the best smoking experiences I've ever had. No doubt the setting played a part, but I think the blend played the biggest part.
Bayou Night has been my favorite blend for some time. I knew I had to try this one. Took me a while, but I'm so glad I did. You should too.

Pipe Used: MM General, Nording Freehand

Similar Blends: Heaven itself..

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mountain Camp is a daily smoke for me. I find Latakia and Perique to have a natural affinity, together they create a balanced taste that I crave, sweet, sour, smokey, and peppery all at the same time. My wife is a non smoker and tolerates the room note well. MC smokes very cool and dry, very easy on the tounge. C&D will press one pound blocks if you like and I recommend this as the pressing really marries the leaf. The nico level is just north of true medium and just right for my needs. Highly recommended for those in search of a Latakia blend with backbone. (as a side note, the folks at C&D are great to deal with)

StrongMixturesOnly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrongMixturesOnly (17)

A fine blend for anyone who enjoys medium strength English mixtures. Latakia sets the tone for this blend, starting off with a smoky, earthy flavor. The burleys then takeover, keeping the earthy tone while nearly replacing the smokiness altogether with their own lighter taste. Finally, a touch of spice added from the Perique coupled with the near-minty evergreen flavor of Turkish, leave oneself with thoughts of camping in an Autumnal forested wilderness.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

If you mourn the death of Nightcap, get yourself some Mountain Camp. This is a superb, very full English with a nice dose of Perique. The different flavors meld beautifully, making this a very satisfying smoke.

This is a regular evening tobacco for me. I can't imagine any latakia lover not enjoying this.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

Aptly named, this blend did evoke memories of camping long ago in the Blue Ridge Mts, mostly in the fall when lingering smoke aroma from burning leaves back home (back when we could burn them) reinforced the smokey camp fires. This blend at first struck me as a cousin of my favorite Engine 99, just not as sweet and lacking the Orientals of the Engine. Similar red Virginias it gives this even a roasted marshmallow hint. The generous Latakia permeates the dense smoke, but the higher burley content in Mountain Camp (MC) yields a more potent smoke. While not the visceral punch of, say Morley's Best, it is heavier in nicotine than Engine 99 which is on the lighter side of medium. I attribute this to the higher burley and perique here. Rather than stumble around let me just say that (using similar C&D blends) I prefer Engine 99, Red Odessa, Odessa in that order and that this just edges Morley's Best behind those in my opinion due to the more pleasant aftertaste and lower potency. Others. I am sure, will have other views.

Pipe Used: Custombilt, Kaywoodie briars

Age When Smoked: New production

poppy43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppy43 (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a great tobacco. I highly recommend it. It's pretty much become my go-to tobacco, especially for the first pipe of the day and the last at night.

Pipe Used: several Kaywoodies

Purchased From: smoking pipes.com

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I received a 2 oz complimentary sample of this from C & D while placing my first order with them. I have struggled between 2 and three stars on this. Based on the fact that it is C&D and the inherent quality of their blends I cannont fathom ever going below 2 stars.

This must be smoked slow or it will coat your mouth and you will taste nothing else til the next morning if you are lucky. The latakia is, of course, heavy. That said i do enjoy it once in a while as it took me three months to finish the 2 oz sample. I love Latakia, but feel my limit to be just a little south of this blend and will likely not reorder it. That said, it do prefer it over the other Lat bombs in my cellar and actually do kind of taste the Va and Perique, but only slightly.

Definitely recommended to the latakia lover and possibly highly recommended. If you are not a die hard latakia fan, don't waste your time or money.

Powerage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Powerage (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to admit, I didn't really think Montain Camp was all that great when I first gave it a try upon the recommendation of a friend who only smokes this blend. I let it sit for a few months and gave it another wack...It is very good! A great starter English blend. A blend that I go to often. The room note is pleasant from the feedback I have been given by those around me when I light up. The taste is mild and very pleasing. Little if any tongue bite with proper sipping!

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

my first admission is that i am not a Latakia bomb fan--i enjoy Latakia in small quantities--

so, what am i doing reviewing Mountain Camp?--i ordered it on a whim--when i first received it i fired it up right away--didn't care for it--way too dry and smoky for me--seemed harsh and bitter--seemed like the Latakia and Burley didn't want to play together nicely--

had just about decided to put the remainder on the trading block--but decided to let it age for a short while, so in the jar and up on the shelf it went--

two months later i tried another bowl--big difference--very much subdued compared to my original impression--smoother, easier on the throat and nose--sweeter, no dry mouth after finishing a bowl--

the blend seems to have melded and turned into a very acceptable smoke--all the sharp edges are gone--maybe it was really raw and uncured from C&D--whatever; aging just a bit made a great difference--

i won't ever use it as a day in, day out smoke, but think i will keep a bit on hand for when i want a decent Lat fix l

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Mountain Camp is Bayou Night with the Perique toned down and the Latakia amped up. I definitely like this better than SOTE, probably better than Engine #99 too. This is Burley, Va, Perique, Turkish and Latakia. The Perique adds some tang, but it isn't fruity and only slightly peppery here. The Orientals are just casually there, enough to add a subtle sour note underneath. Like SOTE, this has a nice interplay between Va and Latakia, making for a smoky, leathery blend. Room note is heavenly to me, very dark, rich and the Perique adds a mystery to the traditional mixture's room note. Great aroma here.

On the tongue, this stops short of being spicy, but it is a nice medium-full mixture where all the components contribute. Not stellar, but you could do a lot worse, and since this tobacco is $36/lb it is a great candidate for rotation material for Lat lovers looking to flesh out their rotation on the cheap. This is good, but I found my inexpensive C&D bulk, and this ain't it. (Hint: the tobacco I refer to starts with C&D #505 Super Balkan). If I hadn't found that one already and ordered my first pound of it, I just might be buying a pound of this as it is both tasty and cheap.

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I don't necessarily like being a comparison reviewer but the first several times I smoked this blend, Dunhill's Night Cap came to mind. Now my experience with the Dunhill blends is very limited and to EMP, MM965 and Night Cap, in bulk and the Orlik versions. Therefore, the comparison may not be fair. I remember Night Cap being heavy and having quite a bit of a nicotine kick to it. And that's what I got out of Mountain Camp and was on the verge of tossing all 8 ounces in the can. I'm not a fan at all of vitamin N and it was a bit too much in this blend. I didn't toss it and have held onto this blend for over a year and recently revisited it. It's apparently mellowed a bit and has turned into something I really enjoy. All the reviews below hit this on the head. In the bowl, it has plenty of deep notes along with an earthy, leathery and smoky aroma. With all this, it still has a very rich and creamy quality that makes it very enjoyable to smoke along with a peppery taste. Smoke it slow in small amounts and you'll avoid the nic kick. Love the room note too.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I cannot decide which I enjoy more, Mountain Camp or Pirate Kake.

Mountain Camp delivers a stout, creamy smoke full of wonderful Latakia. A sweet, albeit peppery smoke, if you love being slapped with Latakia, this one is for you.

I enjoy this as an evening smoke with a snifter of Grand Marnier.

Bub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bub (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow! Think smokey. You may as well smoke straight latakia. If that's your thing, you'll love this. A good smoke for latakia lovers everywhere.

Lucas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucas (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Another excellent C & D English blend with flavorful latakia along with the right touch of perique. Burns beautifully and cooly to the bottom of the bowl. About half way thru a complex blend of tastes with a floral / licorice hint in the background. Goes well with coffee. Great smoke!

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant

Usually I don't mix ny Latakia and perique - it feels like I'd be doing something akin to drinking a vodka martini. What the hell!

Upon first light I was nose-slapped to the curb with Latakia. Midbowl, the perique chimes in like a schoolgirl choir in plaid uniforms. The finish, a little bitter.

Images evoked: a stegosaurus thigh fossil discovered to have been colonized by a bee hive.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

a pleasureable, heavy smoke. the Latakia and Per join forces and wollop you with musty smoke that is hinted with a flowery (African Violet?) background and taste. you can get lost in this one. Good for outdoors.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Great stuff....I loved it in the am with my coffee on my ride to work. Also great standing out in the cold on breaks. I'll always have a love for it, but C&D and Pease did it one better with Deacon's Downfall. Definatly give it a try. Can be spicy if puffed to hard...B.o.b can be bitter at times, through I found no ryme or reason for this...

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

This is an excellent C & D blend made especially for the warm & homey Jack's Tobacco. This, along with Pirate Kake & Cordial ought to be tinned. Mountain Camp brings to mind other C & D blends I've tried: Black Duck mild? Valle Crucis without the ginger? Not sure, though this has a surprising interplay of flavors & aromas, especially near the end of the bowl. The perique & latakia play off each other nicely. I'll say it again: I am amazed at how C & D & McClelland can take basically the same 2 or 3 themes & create subtle variations on each. I'm not a lover of bulk blends, but this is really one worth trying. Get some if you visit Jack's.

Three and a half of five stars

Medium None Detected Full Strong

I really enjoyed this blend a lot. I t reminds me of C&D's ADDAGGIO. It is heavy on the latakia but there is definitely something else going on in the bowl.I detect a lovely,sweet, and fruity Perique here. It has just enough Perique to offset the Dominant Latakia notes of the blend.You will not win friends on room note with this one. Who cares? Pipes are now anti-social symbols now anyway. It also faintly reminds me of Sam's Blend. It has that wonderful interplay between the condimental leaves. This results in a most unique flavor. This burns cool and down to a fluffy white ash. This along with Pirate Kake really should be tinned. 3.5stars. Try this and you will be pleased.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

If you love latakia this one will please. While a quality blend, the latakia is a solo act.

A very nice English-type blend. I smoked some Squadron Leader after a bowl of Mt. Camp and it tasted rather weak by comparison. If you think S.L. is strong avoid Mt. Camp. A very nicely balanced mixture with a rather rich and assertive Latikia presence. I don't rate room note as I smoke almost exclusively outdoors. Update: As a first English of the day, the Latakia was strong and a virtual solo act. Could venture to say I never tasted anything else with the slightest hint of Burley. No Perique at all Virginnia a no-show. Think Latakia.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

In appearance, Mountain Camp is a dark blend. Predominantly blackish brown with the occasional light leaf here and there. The aroma is all Latakia.

According to the description, there is supposed to be some Perique in this blend, but you won?t notice it in the aroma, nor when you light up. It has a full, rich, smoky Latakia flavor, a flavor that reminds me of Syrian Trawler. It?s a rather dry taste.

Latakia dominates, and the other leaf in the blend acts as condiments. If you love Latakia, that is good. If you are looking for depth and complexity, that is bad. There is a bit of a spicy undertone to the smoke that could be the Perique, could be Syrian Latakia, could be Turkish/Oriental. Frankly, I can?t tell. Exhaling through the nose suggests a hint of Perique.

Mountain Camp is a slow burning, cool smoking blend with tons of flavor, albeit a bit of a monochromatic flavor. There is no artificial flavoring added. It?s OK smoked on its own, but I believe it would also do well if you used it to jack up the Latakia content in a blend you found lacking.

The room note, as you might expect, will not make you popular among Latakia-phobes. Smells great to me though!