The first true aromatic in the Hearth and Home series. A light and dark mixture with rum, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg flavorings. Although the aroma is complex, pleasant and mildly sweet, the spice flavorings come through more prominently in the smoking. A bite-free blend that will please anyone in the room.

BrandHearth & Home
Strength
Taste

2.7
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I hear so often complaints that aromatics don't taste like they smell in the pouch. Well, here is a blend that breaks down that complaints as it tastes exactly like the pouch aroma. This blend tastes just like a good eggnog, smells like eggnog and the room note is just like eggnog. In fact, if you do not seal this one up tight, where ever you have it that area will smell like eggnog. It also is not gunky and wet like so many aromatics. Now at this point, if the reader of this review does not like aromatics, then they might as well go on to another review, because from here on out I am going to give a glowing report of a really good aromatic. Russ really knew what he was doing with this one. It is a mix of black and dark brown rough cut ribbon in the pouch and it just emits the eggnog aroma in the pouch. It is not overly moist and can be smoked right out of the bag. It packs well and is very easy to light up. The smoker as well as the bystander will enjoy the aroma of fresh eggnog. The dominant flavor in this reich creamy smoke is that of nutmeg, a touch of vanilla and a little cinnamon. It stays lit while smoking quite well and it has no bite to it at all but it does have a large amount of flavor to it. It is very rich and tasty all the way down to a dry grey ash at the bottom of the pipe. It never loses it's flavor in any way. I love being able to smell the room note while I am smoking it. While I do like aros I am traditionally a burley and Vaper man but this one is a joy to smoke. I highly recommend giving this one a try if for no other reason to dispell all the rumours of aromatics. You might find yourself really liking this one.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Let me start by saying that I am not big on aromatics. However, there are a couple which grab me. This one did, and did so by surprise. I received a sample of it at the Richmond Expo this year and was intrigued. It smelled like the blend an old family friend used to smoke. I figured I would give it a try though I usually smoke VaPers and English.
The tine note is exceptional. Very much like an old fashioned tobacco and a holiday treat rolled into one.
I packed it into a Big Ben church warden and let it dry for a couple of hours before lighting. When I light up I get a wonderful first taste which sort of calms down after a few minutes. Towards the end of the bowel it may get a little ashen tasting. In fact, I have learned to just dump the last bit and sort of "end on a high note."
While I am not normally into aros, and when I do like them, it is usually something fruity, the blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and rum in this really works for me. Again, it reminds me of a blend an old family friend used to smoke and the smell of the old tobacco shop, in Cloverleaf Mall, which I used to walk by while a child. The friend, shop and even the mall are gone now so I shall never know what blends I was getting a whiff of back then but this is on track.
I have found the flavor of this best comes out with slow sipping which, for me, makes it an evening time, "sit down and relax" smoke. It is not something I would smoke all the time and, while I am adding it to my regular rotation, I just received a 100 gram tin which I ordered from H&H, it will not be knocking the Frog Mortons of PS LNF out of their places anytime soon. I give it three stars.

Pipe Used: A variety but I prefer a CW.

Purchased From: H&H

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

This blend was a pretty big disappointment in the fact that it offered so much. So many flavors that are some of my favorite.

I'll start with the good parts. The room note is pretty good. I wouldn't say it smells like Egg Nog, but definitely not a bad smell. The tin smelt like every other Hearth & Homes blend.

The taste was almost not existent and I got quite a lot of tongue bite even while moistened and cautiously smoked. The strength was very low as well, which makes it a light smoke others may enjoy.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)

This is a decent blend from H&H. I'm not head over heals for it but it is a good sweet smoke with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. It burns well and doesn't get ashy and gross at the bottom. I am undecided if I will purchase this again if only due to the large number of aromatics out there that are better than this, it just doesn't make the cut for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 KS

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (52)

As a general rule, I usually don't buy blends named after foods. It's been my experience that most blenders try too hard to make it smell and maybe even taste like the name, but you end up smoking something that smells like a burning tire. I'm an aromatics fan, but don't care for heavily topped or cased blends, fruit flavors and so on. I prefer good vanilla or light spices. So I almost didn't buy this one. Glad I changed my mind!

Really not sure where the egg nog itself comes in, and I'm not getting a holiday vibe from it. But this is an outstanding blend! The rum and vanilla are evident at the tin, with just a hint of nutmeg. I couldn't detect much cinnamon.

At the match, it is nicely aromatic, evenly cased and the toppings are applied with a fairly light hand giving this blend a very pleasant and friendly aroma and flavor with no bite, and no overpowering sweetness. A good all-day smoke that burns to a clean, fine ash. A real winner! Will definitely keep this in my rotation!

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I wanted to like this stuff but it has way too much cinnamon in it. And I love cinnamon!

I think it burns way too hot and the cinnamon makes it ascrid.

Much attention (or patience I guess) is required to keep it cool. This blend can also dish out the nasty type of bite that lingers for a day or so if you really try to smoke it all day or take big pulls or puff too fast.

Maybe it is just me but a few of the hearth and home blends are hot burning to my taste. On the other hand their obsidian and larry's blend are really good. No offense to Russ. I like many of his blends but am not really into this one.

Update 8/09/08 I let this sit for 6 months and tried it once again. Somehow it seems worse now. I am getting rid of this stuff for sure so I don't subject myself to this again by accident. I just don't like it.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It is amusing to me the wild variation in responses to this blend, with recommendations spread nearly equally across the board. Those that love it seem to really praise it, and those that hate it despise it with almost undeserved animosity as if the tobacco itself somehow personally assaulted them. I myself find this blend sort of middle-of-the-road.

Pleasant tin note, as others have mentioned, ripe with vanilla, rum, and some kind of nutmeggy/cinnamonny essence. It doesn't evoke images of eggnog, personally, but it does have a holiday season sort of feel to me. As with most of Russ' aromatics, I am impressed with the flavor balance, as well as lack of excessive PG goopiness. It does have a tendency to burn hot, and I found mild bite to be a problem even when sipped gently. The blend burned evenly wigh no need of relights. Taste is predominantly warm vanilla rum with undertones of cinnamon spice. No chemical atrocities detected by this puffer. A pleasant change of pace - I will not purchase regularly, but I will purchase again, perhaps as a holiday changeup.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: 4 mo.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Yuck! Don't waste your money. At first light it was like smoking from a soured pipe. Half way down it tasted like... okra? With all the wonderful types of tobacco out there I can't see why anyone would waste their time with this.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Not aged

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Out of the tin it smells like egg nog, and the story is the same when you smoke it. It has an almost creamy mouth feel and has you sniffing the air when you're not puffing! This is good, but I do feel this blend is a little more well placed during the cold winter months when the richness is a little more welcome. Not my favorite aromatic but good all the same.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I picked up an ounce of Egg Nog on the recommendation of a friend that knows I enjoy the occasional aromatic. I really wanted to like this blend because it is somewhat unique in flavor. It is less moist than most American style aromatics and it burns cleanly without any tongue bite. Egg Nog's room note is fantastic. The added spices, are what make this blend unique, but I think it also makes it a love or hate type blend. I finished the majority of the ounce, but for me, it's not a bell ringer. It's worth a shot for aromatic fans that are looking for something different.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Ok New Review. Smoke it a bit slower because Egg Nog can Snap back at your tongue if not careful. Egg Nog is hard not to puff fast. The Aroma is intense and enjoyable to the smoker and the passer by. It makes you want to smoke more more more. move up to 4 Stars This blend needs to sit for a while to marry. And then before smoking let it stand out of the jar or bag for a day or so. This will tend to make it a richer smoke. Now not to say the moisture level is high because it is not. Blends like Hearth and Home and Boswell and Milan's Blends Need to age.

Pipe Used: Amerelli Cavalier

Age When Smoked: 15

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I first tried and reviewed this blend a little over a year ago and gave it 4 stars. Now I'm having to update my review and lower the score to 2 stars, let me explain why.

When I first tried this blend back in 2007 I thought it was great, truly the first all cavendish blend I enjoyed. I packed my pipe and put it in my mouth and I could taste the spices without even lighting the tobacco. Upon lighting it I could taste the spices and the hint of vanilla, I was truly amazed at such an interesting blend. I quickly smoked the 4oz. I had ordered and promptly order 4 more ounces which I enjoyed as well.

Now, more than a year later, as I was browsing pipesandcigars.com I remembered the interesting egg nog blend and decided to order 4 oz. As of today, 03/17/2009 I can tell you that something changed, and not for the good. The spices are no longer present, I don't know if it was because people were complaining about that, but they are definetely toned down a LOT. There's much less flavor present and it burns way hotter than it used to. I don't know if they are using cheaper leaf or cheaper ingredients to keep the cost down, but they certainly destroyed an otherwise amazing blend.

Sorry Russ, you lost a customer. I will continue to shop at pipesandcigars.com but I certainly won't buy any more of the R.O. blends.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite aromatics, along with Trout Stream also from p&c. The rum and the other spices are expertly blended to deliver a tin aroma that matches the room note and more importantly, just as the tin reads, it comes through in the smoking flavor itself. I prefer to infuse (not spray or lace - just infuse) this blend with a quality rum and then jar it for a few weeks. Then it smells like heaven in the jar and smokes exactly the same.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (47)

This is a good aromatic with a very nice flavor and a great room note. I did find it to burn quickly and to burn hot. Flavor stayed consistant throughout the bowl and was left with a fine gray ash.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I have to be honest. I have to give this mix two stars. This particular batch of Eggnog smelled better in the bag than it tasted when smoked. The smell in the bag was outstanding even for aromatics. And that was because you could really smell the tobaccos besides all the tasty flavoring. It got me all psyched up for an old school aro. However, this blend did not smoke very sweet and ultimately the tobacco flavor was a bit harsh. It reminded me of burnt dark roast coffee flavor.It's well worth a try for a new smoker getting away from drugstore blends.

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I will certainly recommend this blend to the aromatic bretheren. It tasted like tobacco.... And, for the aromatic crowd, they'll get their sweet (and in the case of this blend), spicy fix. I did not taste egg nog or the rum, but I sure did taste the cinnamon. This blend was a recent giveaway at our monthly pipe club meeting. I never would have purchased a blend with a name or description like this, but for a bowl of fun, it floated my boat.

It does burn hot... But, it also burned dry.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

First im going to start off by saying do not get fooled by the name. Wait "Merry Christmas" Ok, now that I got that out of the way, this is not by any means of tasting like or smelling like the ole yule log holiday favorite drink of mine. This burns hot and while it may have a few hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, I think the full flavor fails in the attempt to create a real holiday smoke. Id rather smoke Altidas Buttered Rum around the holidays, but you can check my review on that at a later date. This is ok smoke for me. I thought it would be more then it was, but hey thats the way it is. Sometimes you get a Home Run, sometimes you get hit by a pitch. Im afraid I got hit by the pitch! MZMN 8-24-06

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

I know alot of people don't like aromatics...but this you have to try, really this time. This isn't a Capt. Black, 1Q, or any other sugar blast in a pipe. I had a taste for an aromatic and this fit the bill exactlly. Medium length brown and black ribbon. Smells exactlly like a tobbaconist's shop in a bag...can't describe it any other way. Perfect moisture out of the bag, easy to pack and light...stays lit very well also. The first light gives a powerfull zing of cinnamon and rum but settles down very quickly. By the time you have it going, it just has a frim hint of cinnamon in the foreground and rum, vanilla, hazelnut and deliciously sweet (not overly sweet, more of "natural sweet") cavendish lurking in the back. Not overly topped at all. A real tobacco flavor shines through but in a subdued way. Very little moisture and very clean burn all the way down. The topping never goes away but gets more mellow towards the bottom. Great base tobaccos and a fantastic room note that you can actually smell while smoking. I will be ordering much, much more of this stuff. 9 out of 10

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A wonderful and not overly sweet aromatic that DOES taste like it smells! The room note..well picnic table note is very pleasant and a had MANY positive comments. Not a single relight and i smoked the bowl for over an hour. NO BURN NO BITE.the tobacco was sipped and enjoyed the same way one would enjoy a cup of egg nog sitting out on the porch watching it snow. an all day smoke for the aro lover and a great aro for non aro smokers to enjoy around the Holidays!

Pipe Used: A gifted Prototype pipe made for me

Purchased From: P&C

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Hearth & Home - Egg Nog.

A fairly coarse mixture that has about an equal quantity of black to brown. It's too moist, but as mine was supplied bulk I just opened the seal on the pouch enough to let it breathe some. Of the aromatics I find the rum carries the most weight in the pouch-note. Although the blend has a few bigger pieces in it, none of them are twiggy, or un-smokeable.

I get a nice flavour from the nutmeg, a smooth note of vanilla, quite a sharp cinnamon flavour, but only a small amount of alcohol piquancy; the rum gives more molasses, than alcohol. It isn't anywhere near as alcoholic as the pouch-note implied. The smoke's pretty thick in build, and cool on the palate.

Room-note: very nice. And nicotine: mild to medium.

There's more than enough reasons to warrant Egg Nog receiving four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog Bulldog #34

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Purchased From: 4noggins

usafvol1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
usafvol1 (16)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I like it. I do not love it. I'm not sure what I smell in the bag, or taste while smoking, but it is not egg nog. If they called it something else, I might give it 4 stars, simply because my expectation was egg nog. Burns pretty well, little bite, doesn't need relighting unless you forget about it. Room notes are pleasant, but not because of the good aromas so much as the lack of offensive smells. The taste is mellow, and every now and then I can taste some kind of dairy based sweetness, although I usually got it shortly after lighting. I might buy it again out of curiosity.

Pipe Used: Peterson system, Viking 301, Calabash meerschaum

Purchased From: P&C

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

No nicotine, no bite, no gurgle. Minimal relights. I believe I taste nutmeg and cinnamon. I believe I will order more and write a more detailed review. Pleasant when exhaled through the snork. I did not find this to be sweet at all.

Pipe Used: Hanseatic Fantasy Freehand

Age When Smoked: Up to six months

Purchased From: pipes and Cigars bulk

alabamabubba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alabamabubba (2)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoy aromatics. I smoked this last night and it made me want to get something better in my bowl. I generally like a sweet aromatic. This is tolerable but has a little bit of wang that I don't particularly like. It does not taste like eggnog which is what I expected.

Pipe Used: Peterson & Savenelli

Purchased From: Online

Mhulsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mhulsey (35)

First, I have to say that I wouldn’t consider this to be strictly a holiday blend as it was a good all-around, everyday smoke, however it could fill that void as a holiday blend for some. The tin note was that of vanilla, nutmeg, sweet caramel, with maybe a hint of cinnamon detected. The moisture content of the tobacco in the tin was spot on perfect, which makes this tobacco easy to pack, light, and maintain a steady burn through to the bottom of the bowl. Upon lighting the pipe there were subtle hints of sweetness which remain throughout the entire smoke, however there was more of a spiciness that comes to the front of the pallet. By mid-bowl there was a mild nutty flavor which seemed to remain through to the end of the smoke. The room note according to the wife was mild, but definitely sweet and warm.

Pipe Used: Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Russ has a winner in this Hearth and Home blend. Nice mild smoke. Very tasty cavendish and black cavendish blend with a nice vanilla flavor. This one gets a 4 from me.

Pipe Used: Frank Axmacher

Age When Smoked: 3 months.

Similar Blends: McClelland's Vanilla Ice.