The first true aromatic in the Hearth and Home series. A light and dark mixture with rum, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg flavorings. Although the aroma is complex, pleasant and mildly sweet, the spice flavorings come through more prominently in the smoking. A bite-free blend that will please anyone in the room.

BrandHearth & Home

2.4
CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (19)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Let me start by saying that I am not big on aromatics. However, there are a couple which grab me. This one did, and did so by surprise. I received a sample of it at the Richmond Expo this year and was intrigued. It smelled like the blend an old family friend used to smoke. I figured I would give it a try though I usually smoke VaPers and English.
The tine note is exceptional. Very much like an old fashioned tobacco and a holiday treat rolled into one.
I packed it into a Big Ben church warden and let it dry for a couple of hours before lighting. When I light up I get a wonderful first taste which sort of calms down after a few minutes. Towards the end of the bowel it may get a little ashen tasting. In fact, I have learned to just dump the last bit and sort of "end on a high note."
While I am not normally into aros, and when I do like them, it is usually something fruity, the blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and rum in this really works for me. Again, it reminds me of a blend an old family friend used to smoke and the smell of the old tobacco shop, in Cloverleaf Mall, which I used to walk by while a child. The friend, shop and even the mall are gone now so I shall never know what blends I was getting a whiff of back then but this is on track.
I have found the flavor of this best comes out with slow sipping which, for me, makes it an evening time, "sit down and relax" smoke. It is not something I would smoke all the time and, while I am adding it to my regular rotation, I just received a 100 gram tin which I ordered from H&H, it will not be knocking the Frog Mortons of PS LNF out of their places anytime soon. I give it three stars.

Pipe Used: A variety but I prefer a CW.

Purchased From: H&H

DragonBreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DragonBreath (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening my first tin of Hearth and Home Egg Nog, I was greeted by a scent which reminded me so strongly of furniture polish that I was filled with trepidation. Aside from a hint of what might be nutmeg, I could not detect any semblance between the scent of the tobacco and that of actual egg nog.

After some hesitation, I filled a bowl and lit the tobacco. The moisture level in this blend is nearly ideal, and a pinch of the tobacco taken directly from the tin compresses into a springy clump for a short time before gradually flaking apart. Lighting is quick and easy.

As with most aromatic tobaccos, slow and gentle smoking produces the best experience, but with regards to its combustion properties, Egg Nog is a well-behaved blend. I could not make this tobacco smoke wetly even in a Peterson XL315, and taking excessively heavy draughts produced not a single gurgle. Amazingly, this tobacco also burned down to fine, powdery ash that was dry as dust and exceedingly light in color.

Egg Nog is an interesting blend. A sharp and dusky spice is present in the taste of the blend from the charring light onward, with occasional traces of sweetness appearing and quickly dissipating without lingering long enough to become cloying. Frequently, a taste of something not unlike gunpowder muscles its way to the front of the sensory queue and remains there for a time. Perhaps this blend should have been named "Fourth of July".

Egg Nog produces a room note that is very pleasant, and while I was smoking it, I received approving comments and cheerful inquiries from passers-by.

In general, I found this tobacco to be highly enjoyable, but I feel that its present name will cause confusion. Egg Nog is a complex aromatic that tastes exactly the way it smells, but neither its scent or its taste resembles the beverage it is named for.

If you are fortunate enough to live within reach of a good tobacconist who is generous enough to provide a smoking room with a tobacco bar, I would suggest that you sample Egg Nog before buying it in quantity. While I enjoyed it enough to purchase an amount that would last me a few years, the blend bears a name that is sure to give a smoker a false idea of what to expect.

Pipes used for testing: Peterson XL315, Dunhill Shell 0314 Bulldog (1976), Sebastien Beo Paneled Rhodesian, Luciano 222 S* Lovat, Yello-Bole Imperial Lovat

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I hear so often complaints that aromatics don't taste like they smell in the pouch. Well, here is a blend that breaks down that complaints as it tastes exactly like the pouch aroma. This blend tastes just like a good eggnog, smells like eggnog and the room note is just like eggnog. In fact, if you do not seal this one up tight, where ever you have it that area will smell like eggnog. It also is not gunky and wet like so many aromatics. Now at this point, if the reader of this review does not like aromatics, then they might as well go on to another review, because from here on out I am going to give a glowing report of a really good aromatic. Russ really knew what he was doing with this one. It is a mix of black and dark brown rough cut ribbon in the pouch and it just emits the eggnog aroma in the pouch. It is not overly moist and can be smoked right out of the bag. It packs well and is very easy to light up. The smoker as well as the bystander will enjoy the aroma of fresh eggnog. The dominant flavor in this reich creamy smoke is that of nutmeg, a touch of vanilla and a little cinnamon. It stays lit while smoking quite well and it has no bite to it at all but it does have a large amount of flavor to it. It is very rich and tasty all the way down to a dry grey ash at the bottom of the pipe. It never loses it's flavor in any way. I love being able to smell the room note while I am smoking it. While I do like aros I am traditionally a burley and Vaper man but this one is a joy to smoke. I highly recommend giving this one a try if for no other reason to dispell all the rumours of aromatics. You might find yourself really liking this one.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)

As a general rule, I usually don't buy blends named after foods. It's been my experience that most blenders try too hard to make it smell and maybe even taste like the name, but you end up smoking something that smells like a burning tire. I'm an aromatics fan, but don't care for heavily topped or cased blends, fruit flavors and so on. I prefer good vanilla or light spices. So I almost didn't buy this one. Glad I changed my mind!

Really not sure where the egg nog itself comes in, and I'm not getting a holiday vibe from it. But this is an outstanding blend! The rum and vanilla are evident at the tin, with just a hint of nutmeg. I couldn't detect much cinnamon.

At the match, it is nicely aromatic, evenly cased and the toppings are applied with a fairly light hand giving this blend a very pleasant and friendly aroma and flavor with no bite, and no overpowering sweetness. A good all-day smoke that burns to a clean, fine ash. A real winner! Will definitely keep this in my rotation!

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I wanted to like this stuff but it has way too much cinnamon in it. And I love cinnamon!

I think it burns way too hot and the cinnamon makes it ascrid.

Much attention (or patience I guess) is required to keep it cool. This blend can also dish out the nasty type of bite that lingers for a day or so if you really try to smoke it all day or take big pulls or puff too fast.

Maybe it is just me but a few of the hearth and home blends are hot burning to my taste. On the other hand their obsidian and larry's blend are really good. No offense to Russ. I like many of his blends but am not really into this one.

Update 8/09/08 I let this sit for 6 months and tried it once again. Somehow it seems worse now. I am getting rid of this stuff for sure so I don't subject myself to this again by accident. I just don't like it.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I first tried and reviewed this blend a little over a year ago and gave it 4 stars. Now I'm having to update my review and lower the score to 2 stars, let me explain why.

When I first tried this blend back in 2007 I thought it was great, truly the first all cavendish blend I enjoyed. I packed my pipe and put it in my mouth and I could taste the spices without even lighting the tobacco. Upon lighting it I could taste the spices and the hint of vanilla, I was truly amazed at such an interesting blend. I quickly smoked the 4oz. I had ordered and promptly order 4 more ounces which I enjoyed as well.

Now, more than a year later, as I was browsing pipesandcigars.com I remembered the interesting egg nog blend and decided to order 4 oz. As of today, 03/17/2009 I can tell you that something changed, and not for the good. The spices are no longer present, I don't know if it was because people were complaining about that, but they are definetely toned down a LOT. There's much less flavor present and it burns way hotter than it used to. I don't know if they are using cheaper leaf or cheaper ingredients to keep the cost down, but they certainly destroyed an otherwise amazing blend.

Sorry Russ, you lost a customer. I will continue to shop at pipesandcigars.com but I certainly won't buy any more of the R.O. blends.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Much like smoking a pipe full of cinnamon, this blend is one of the most vile concoctions that I've had the displeasure of smoking. Aside from it's horrid flavor, it burns clean and does not goop up your pipe.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

This blend was a pretty big disappointment in the fact that it offered so much. So many flavors that are some of my favorite.

I'll start with the good parts. The room note is pretty good. I wouldn't say it smells like Egg Nog, but definitely not a bad smell. The tin smelt like every other Hearth & Homes blend.

The taste was almost not existent and I got quite a lot of tongue bite even while moistened and cautiously smoked. The strength was very low as well, which makes it a light smoke others may enjoy.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)

This is a decent blend from H&H. I'm not head over heals for it but it is a good sweet smoke with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. It burns well and doesn't get ashy and gross at the bottom. I am undecided if I will purchase this again if only due to the large number of aromatics out there that are better than this, it just doesn't make the cut for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 KS

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (21)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Yuck! Don't waste your money. At first light it was like smoking from a soured pipe. Half way down it tasted like... okra? With all the wonderful types of tobacco out there I can't see why anyone would waste their time with this.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Not aged

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (31)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Out of the tin it smells like egg nog, and the story is the same when you smoke it. It has an almost creamy mouth feel and has you sniffing the air when you're not puffing! This is good, but I do feel this blend is a little more well placed during the cold winter months when the richness is a little more welcome. Not my favorite aromatic but good all the same.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I picked up an ounce of Egg Nog on the recommendation of a friend that knows I enjoy the occasional aromatic. I really wanted to like this blend because it is somewhat unique in flavor. It is less moist than most American style aromatics and it burns cleanly without any tongue bite. Egg Nog's room note is fantastic. The added spices, are what make this blend unique, but I think it also makes it a love or hate type blend. I finished the majority of the ounce, but for me, it's not a bell ringer. It's worth a shot for aromatic fans that are looking for something different.

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Easily, easily, the most vile tobacco (if indeed it is tobacco) that I have experienced in my life!! Another reviewer thought he detected a gunpowder taste. Having read his review prior to lighting up, I thought as I was putting match to bowl 'my God he's right-if you could fill a pipe with gunpowder & light it up without it exploding, this is what it would taste like'. I have tried 4 of Russ's blends & this is the only one that has disappointed. In fact his Virginia Spice has been my primary blend for the last number of months. How he came up with this monstrousity is beyond me. Thank God I only ordered an ounce of this. I seem to be on an exploration of aromaticss kick, which was my rationale for ordering this in the first place. Going forward, I'm only going to review blends that I would highly recommend (4 stars) & those that are truly disgusting (1 star). The former to encourage others to experiment with something I've enjoyed & the latter to forewarn pipe smokers of a truly awful experience. This is the only tobacco I've experienced that I could only stand a few puffs before immediately ending the experiment by reaming out the bowl & throwing the bag in the trash.

blastedsand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blastedsand (1)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild Strong

If the thought of lighting and inhaling the aroma of 1000 dollar store potpourri-scented candles excites you, you will love this blend. If, like me, you enjoy a tasty and high-quality aromatic tobacco you may, like me, find this totally wretched.

If you enjoy the strong and highly-artificial aroma of chemical air fresheners, you will love the room note of this blend. If, like me, you find the tree-shaped air fresheners that end up hanging from rear view mirrors provoke a nauseous response you may, like me, find that popping the lid on this blend gives you an instant headache.

I mean no insult if you like this blend, but wow, this is terrible stuff.

CornCobBob61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCobBob61 (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Well pipesandcigars are 2for 2they suck.When I first lit up I could really smell the egg nog and was really expecting a nice smoke.I wouldnt say it was actualy like licking an ash tray but it was close.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

It's just not a very good pipe tobacco. It burns hot and just has no redeeming qualities to it.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Boff...I've tasted better tobaccos.

The burning qualities were good, though.

Maybe it's just that I don't like Egg Nog outside a glass?

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

Slowly it is dawning within my sludge-filled brain that I am not a huge fan of aromatics. I enjoy them on occasion and will pick one when considering those who shall share space with me while I smoke. That said on to Egg Nog.

Mild aroma hinting at the ingredients; rum, vanilla, nutmeg and wee wisps of cinnamon. Moist enough to clump and hold when pinched together so I left it to dry about 90 minutes. Packs easy when dried and still has most of the aroma remaining.

Lights up, tamps and off to the races. No relights were required, minimum attention while smoking. No bite, no bitterness even when I romped on the bellows, huffing and puffing. Had a hint of the nutmeg on the tongue but I couldn't detect the cinnamon in the tasting. Vanilla was nice, no strange chemical taste in this one.

Burned clean, didn't leave much of anything behind in the bowl or mouth. Pleasant aroma in the room, like some sort of baked pastry.

If you are an aromatic fan, or like an occasional aromatic for change of pace this one is worth trying. Not something that I will be getting more of.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

this went from a four star plus rating to 1

Russ I caved in and bought some tobacco the Egg nog way over priced $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I am sorry to say is not as good as it was a few years ago. the Flavor was FLAT the blend was not as rich as it once was,

Sorry dude had to lower my rating according to the last batch, I was very unhappy with it. Maybe you gave into the review's complaining about the cinnamon flavor but that was what made this blend Russ. Now it is really flavorless and good for ??????????????? RUSS I WOULD LOVE TO BUY YOUR TOBACCO BUY THE NYS TAX IS CRAZY ON TOBACCO. Russ you out did yourself again,American Tpbacco blending at its best. Welcoming a new generation into the American pass time of pipe smoking. This one is for the aromatic and the folks who like the taste of traditional blends drug store blends. Egg Nog altough sweet has plenty of nip to it and very refreshing. EGG NOG reminds me of those Red Hots Candies we use to eat as a kid. They are so hot but so very darn good. You just can't stop eating them. Just like this blend. I almost couldn't pull myself away from the bowl. After three bowls I had to give my senses a rest. the blend dose not get boring at all. Now I am not much of an aromatic smoker but this blend can sway you. I have to add this to my daily rotation. The flavor is not overly sweet and the nicotine level is good enough for a jolt. It is enjoyable to smoke a blend with a bit of a twist to it. Leave it to American Ingenuity The light and dark cavnedish mix well and are of a high quality and is very easy to light.Burns well leaves a clean white ash. I would consider this a serious smokers blend and good for all to smokers Hey Russ Maybe Red Hot's would be a better name or Big Red. I tried Egg Nog after trying Sunza of Bitches by Russ. Great people at Pipes and Cigars. Russ tossed in a sample of Grandmas Kitchen and two Oz of Sunza Bitches free.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

This is a pleasant blend. Although there is a sweetness, it doesn't really taste like egg nog to me. Its a good overall smoke, especially for outdoors. However, if you're looking for a "Christmassy" blend, I think you'd be better served by one of the McClelland's Christmas Cheers.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Strong

I'm such a cliche sometimes; I waited 'til t'was the night before Xmas to give this blend a try, expecting great sleigh bells and whiskers. But alas, it was not to be. The room note is extremely pleasant for all those in attendance, (even if someone just happens to wander into your smelly old garage while your smoking). But it does not translate to your own palette. I really wanted to like this one alot, (as I enjoy many of the pipesandcigars.com blends) but it'll just be in my "maybe" pile of occassional smokes.

baileyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
baileyboy (3)

This is a great aro. Its got a little more body than other H&H aros(think trout stream), yet still has no bite. Theres not a lot of tobacco flavor per say, but the aro flavor is very smooth. Its definitely cinnamon-y, with an undertone of some nice vanilla, none of that "airy" flavor. Some say its spicy, and i tend to agree, the cinnamon flavor does have some zing, yet it works very nicely with this blend IMO. Not too creamy, but very very smooth with a nice finish.

Very few re-lites with this blend as well, and thats while the humidity outside has been ridiculously high since its been raining for nearly two weeks straight, and no drying out.

All in all this a unique, medium-bodied, pleasant tasting and smelling aromatic. Some may not like it so much, but if your looking for a cinnamon-y tobacco, this is definitely worth a try. Remind me of christmas time :D

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite aromatics, along with Trout Stream also from p&c. The rum and the other spices are expertly blended to deliver a tin aroma that matches the room note and more importantly, just as the tin reads, it comes through in the smoking flavor itself. I prefer to infuse (not spray or lace - just infuse) this blend with a quality rum and then jar it for a few weeks. Then it smells like heaven in the jar and smokes exactly the same.

smoke dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke dog (10)

I've been searching for my perfect blend, and found that I am becoming a big fan of vanilla aromatics. Too many, though, have been either insanely sweet, or singed my tongue for days. I am happy to say that egg nog is neither. Upon opening of the tin, i found the scent to be very pleasant. The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't over powering in a any way. I like the softness of it. A very classic pipe scent. it definitely has a cinnamon, nut megish, creamy note and the smoke is cool and tasty..the room note is also great. I've only smoked one bowl so far, but I can tell that this one is going to soon be a favorite of mine. definitely buying more to stock up on. If you like vanilla, you'll be a fan of this one, no doubt.

update: ive smoked a 1.5 oz. tin in a 3 week span and i just ordered 2 more tins. this stuff is amazing. a great all day/every day smoke. after i finish a bowl, you can smell cinnamon eminating in the room. going to stock up on this one. nice, mild and flavorful. just right.. do yourself a favor and try this one.. A+

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

This is a good aromatic with a very nice flavor and a great room note. I did find it to burn quickly and to burn hot. Flavor stayed consistant throughout the bowl and was left with a fine gray ash.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I have to be honest. I have to give this mix two stars. This particular batch of Eggnog smelled better in the bag than it tasted when smoked. The smell in the bag was outstanding even for aromatics. And that was because you could really smell the tobaccos besides all the tasty flavoring. It got me all psyched up for an old school aro. However, this blend did not smoke very sweet and ultimately the tobacco flavor was a bit harsh. It reminded me of burnt dark roast coffee flavor.It's well worth a try for a new smoker getting away from drugstore blends.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Theosmoke gave it to me by mistake, because he believed it was a Burley.Well, as they say sh@#t happens. Its a black Cavendish with a fantastic perfume of vanilla, rum and cinnamon. Of course it brings out a very beautiful perfume in the room, but it also has an amazing flavor. It also leaves a beautiful smell in the pipe. It does not cause tonque bite unless it is smoked in a rush caused by lust. Smoked all the way the end maintaining flavor and remains dry. The only problem is that it warms the bowl a bit more. I will order it again, in order to I return to Theosmoke the one he accidentally gave me.

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I will certainly recommend this blend to the aromatic bretheren. It tasted like tobacco.... And, for the aromatic crowd, they'll get their sweet (and in the case of this blend), spicy fix. I did not taste egg nog or the rum, but I sure did taste the cinnamon. This blend was a recent giveaway at our monthly pipe club meeting. I never would have purchased a blend with a name or description like this, but for a bowl of fun, it floated my boat.

It does burn hot... But, it also burned dry.

Adguru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adguru (20)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I want to be a snob and shun this blend for not being sophisticated enough for my palate, but I like it. Not tolerate it, not almost like it, I like the stuff. I live on a diet of latakia, usually the more the better. Most aromatics for me are polite diversions from my normal fare, used to create a room note that is tolerable for family gatherings. This certainly fits the bill, but I find myself turning to it when I don't have a care about the room note I produce. This stuff is that good. Hail Russ.

behindbars1544 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
behindbars1544 (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I received this blend as part of a 6 blend H&H series sampler. Upon receiving & opening my package I was overwhelmed by the wonderful aroma of the blends and was excited to start trying them out. I have reviewed most of the blends individually but all had one thing in common, they all had a very pleasant pouch smell and wonderful room note but lacked taste and most were harsh on the palate. Egg Nog fell right into this category. Wonderful smell both fresh and while burning but little to no taste and burned a little on the hot side. I did sense a minor spiciness but not something you would expect from a pleasant aromatic blend. I ended up trading off the remainder as samples. Understanding that everyone has a different palate and different tastes this might be tasty to some but for myself and many others I have talked with it was a no go. Sorry Russ but something your using in your blends seem to be making them smoke hot & bite. Please take this review as constructive criticism and not personal.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

First im going to start off by saying do not get fooled by the name. Wait "Merry Christmas" Ok, now that I got that out of the way, this is not by any means of tasting like or smelling like the ole yule log holiday favorite drink of mine. This burns hot and while it may have a few hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, I think the full flavor fails in the attempt to create a real holiday smoke. Id rather smoke Altidas Buttered Rum around the holidays, but you can check my review on that at a later date. This is ok smoke for me. I thought it would be more then it was, but hey thats the way it is. Sometimes you get a Home Run, sometimes you get hit by a pitch. Im afraid I got hit by the pitch! MZMN 8-24-06

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Egg Nog is a dry, cool-smooking aromatic with a spicy and sometimes sweet flavor. It doesn't rock my world, but if you are an aromatic smoker, this may be your ticket.

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent aromatic. Burns to a fine ash and is mild without any bite. The spices do come through in both the aroma and taste. I will probably never drink eggnog again for this blend tastes better than the drink and I will enjoy the rum, nutmeg, vanilla, and cinnamon flavors in a bowl of this tobacco instead.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Wow! what a fantastic aromatic!! I am not an aromatic smoker,but wanted to try this having heard great recommendations about Russ Oullette and his blending skills. And finally!! An aromatic tobacco that is 110% satisfying...cool burning,extremely flavorful,absolutely no bite,and unlike most aromatics..smokes dry all the way down with no gurgle or goo....and everyone in the room loved it...it smells absolutely fantastic! And as stated by the previous reviewer, you can actually smell this while smoking. I am going to continue to keep this on hand and try many of the other "Hearth and Home" series tobaccos...many thanks Mr Oullette!!!! Highly Recommended!!!!

===Update 5/22/06=== Sorry, but I must reduce my rating to 2 stars. Upon smoking quite a bit more of this I discovered that while I still like this aromatic, I was wrong about one thing, this can get burn extremely hot and burn the roof of your mouth in short order!..A bit of a drawback,I am going to have to make this an occasional smoke, smoked to please the "anti-smokers" in the room...Sorry Russ!

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)

I am a fan of Russ Ouellette and his tobaccos, something I'm sure others have noticed reading my reviews here. Russ has hit many home runs with his blends and I love many of them, particularly Larry's Blend. This time, though, I'm afraid Russ has only hit a ground rule double.

Egg Nog starts off great. It packs and lights easily and doesn't require a lot of relights. I taste the rum and spices in it but it's not exactly what I would compare to egg nog. Smoking slowly the first 1/2-2/3 of a bowl is good but it has a bitter finish. I didn't try it in a lot of pipes, maybe that was my problem. Give it a try, you might really like it. Russ, like Greg Pease, has set such a high standard for himself that it's a bit of a disappointment when a new blend doesn't really dazzle me.

Scoring; taste- 14 of 20; lighting and burn- 8 of 10; value- 8 of 10. That gives Egg Nog a total of 30 and a * rating.

the boss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the boss (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

this one everyone loves. the burn is complete, always. just dump the ashes. as the other reviewers have noted, no goop, no bite. have only smoked 6 bowls so far in a new spanu, but i can see already, this will be a staple tobacco for me. delicious!

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

I know alot of people don't like aromatics...but this you have to try, really this time. This isn't a Capt. Black, 1Q, or any other sugar blast in a pipe. I had a taste for an aromatic and this fit the bill exactlly. Medium length brown and black ribbon. Smells exactlly like a tobbaconist's shop in a bag...can't describe it any other way. Perfect moisture out of the bag, easy to pack and light...stays lit very well also. The first light gives a powerfull zing of cinnamon and rum but settles down very quickly. By the time you have it going, it just has a frim hint of cinnamon in the foreground and rum, vanilla, hazelnut and deliciously sweet (not overly sweet, more of "natural sweet") cavendish lurking in the back. Not overly topped at all. A real tobacco flavor shines through but in a subdued way. Very little moisture and very clean burn all the way down. The topping never goes away but gets more mellow towards the bottom. Great base tobaccos and a fantastic room note that you can actually smell while smoking. I will be ordering much, much more of this stuff. 9 out of 10