Blended with Andrew (AJ) Smith, this is a different turn on the Virginia/Perique genre. A variety of red Virginias is combined with a generous amount of Perique, and the mixture is slightly mellowed and sweetened by Green River black Cavendish.

BrandHearth & Home
Packaging1.5oz Tin, 8oz Tin, Bulk
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste

Another well burning, clean smoking VaPer from the mind of Russ O. The perique is a little spicey, and plum and raisin-like, though that sweetness is underplayed by the black cavendish. The red Virginias have their own sweetness and is almost the star flavor of this blend. I say almost because the sweetness from all of the various components meld together in perfect harmony to create an individuality of their own. It's not a unique blend, but it is a different take in the Red VaPer genre that I appreciate. I personally prefer Russ' Louisiana Red mixture, so this gets three stars instead of four. I'll say one thing for it: it's worth your money, and it'll satisfy the craving of most sweet VaPer smokers.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

Having a hand in the creation of this blend, I am obviously partial in judging the qualities of this smoke. I therefore will not over sing it's praises, but just present my impressions and let you be the judge.

This is an unadutered blend with pure tobacco flavor. The dry tang of red virginias weave in and out with the spicy fruit of perique and the mild brown sugar/cocoa of the unflavored Green River Cavendish. This is not an aromatic; it's a virginia/perique (VaPer) in the strongest sense. In a wide bowled pot or apple, the treble notes seem more pronounced and the red virginias sing, whereas in a narrow bowled billiard or dublin, the deeper bass notes of fruit and earth seem to dominate. This blend was made for aging, and a few months or more in a mason jar makes me wonder why I smoke anything else.

As with any dry VaPer, do not overpuff and get the tobacco roasting. That technique can produce a bit of a flat ashy taste. Sip, don't chug, and the ever changing flavors and natural sweetness will produce an exciting smoke. This blend dominates my smoking time. As a comparision, my other favorite blends include Haddo's Delight, Bayou Morning, Bayou Morning Flake, Three Friars, Cumberland, Stratford, Virginia Spice, Louisiana Red, Best Brown Flake, and Full Virginia Flake. Enjoy.

aj

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

All in all, this is a pretty good VaPer. Its sweet and sour flavors are satisfying and pleasant for the most part. It's just not one of my favorites. The VaPers in my list of favorites are Bayou Morning, Fillmore, and Escudo. AJ's VaPer just doesn't hit the spot for me like the others do. The tobaccos included in AJ's are top notch, which is why I am giving it three stars. I can appreciate it as a quality tobacco, but won't be ordering it again.

UPDATE: After having the better part of four ounces in a mason jar for about six months, I revisited it (Mostly to try to go through some of my tobacco, so I feel better about buying more) and I found that it was much better the second time around. The, well, mason jar note, was very reminiscent of the McKetchup smell, which I actually really like, and I found it to be sweeter and spicier than I remembered. I'm reluctant to raise the review to four stars, however, when I still have no plans for reorder.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (33)

Cut: short, narrow ribbon

Color: light to dark browns, reddish brown, black

Pouch aroma: fermented and tangy, slightly musty; no topping noted.

Loading: easy, no prep

Lighting: easy, takes to charring well; some bowls needed only a false light

Burn: slow, even, dry

Ash: medium-fine gray and dry

Dottle: none

Smoke: dense, gray clouds in volume

Palate: happy and clean

Perique-osity scale: 5 (0=undetected, 10=overpowering)

Pipe: performed consistently in group 3-6 pipes of various chamber shapes used.

Performance: most complex and enjoyable sipped at a smolder, but really holds up if one revs the RPM's.

A very pleasant blend of Virginia tobaccos with notable, yet balanced, integrated use of perique.

Naturally sweet, red Virginias provide the backbone of flavor. Occasionally, slight grassy notes come through. Perique adds its stewed fruit and peppery presence for a nice complexity that fades a bit and resurrects to keep things interesting.

The flavor of stoved Virginia develops during the last half of the bowl. There might be some stoved Virginia utilized. Maybe it's the Black Cavendish. Slow, gentle puffing could have served to stove the leaf. However achieved, it adds depth and richness to the smoke. Interestingly, toward the very end of the bowl, I had a fleeting taste of cumin.

AJ's VaPer will only sweeten if sealed and aged, but it is lively and enjoyable right out of the bulk 4 oz. bag purchased.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (15)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I usually smoke aromatics, but wanted to try a VaPer and this one got good reviews. Smoked a number of bowls over several weeks. The description that springs to mind is Fresh Ground Black Pepper. The taste is strong start to finish with few, if any, relights. No bite at all. Might try some other VaPers at some point, but frankly, this one is so good, I may just stick with it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 413KS, Savinelli Lolita, Jirsa Poker

I tend to gravitate more toward European made VaPers and one of the things I look for in a VaPer is that wonderful sweetness that comes with age. Russ Ouellette takes that up a notch by adding a small amount of Cavendish to his AJ’s Vaper. AJ’s in the pouch smell like there are some McClelland Virginias in the blend, not always my favorite Virginias (no offense intended to McClelland fans), but the addition of a handsome amount of Perique along with the Cavendish adding a bass note to AJ’s along with some additional sweetness make for an interesting blend. I like smoking AJ's in a deep bowl as everything really sings when AJ's has a chance to develop over a longer smoke. When AJ’s is well aged, it becomes one of the sweetest VaPer variations I can remember smoking in a long time. If you like VaPers made with a twist, this should be on the must try list.

Age When Smoked: New and 5yrs

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

For me, this tobacco was just too harsh, even after cellaring it for about a year. It didn't seem to possess any sort of desirable flavor qualities, and burned much too hot. It was a little better smoked out of a churchwarden, but even so, it is not something I would ever want to smoke again. For somebody making the transition from cigarettes to the pipe, this may be your sort of thing, but it is certainly not for me.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I'm really beginning to respect Russ' talents as a blender. I've smoked several of his blends over the last month and I'm very impressed. Where another well-known (and highly hyped) blender's offerings leave me decidedly cold, the Oullette blends are using a similar recipe and staking a claim to ownership of the Vaper market, in my humble opinion. That's talent. Who the heck IS this guy???

This one is a heavily spicy rendition of Vaper and hits the mark squarely dead center. A tasty concoction that is nearly the equal of any Vaper out there - and that is saying a lot! This is the second of Russ' blends to make my regular rotation (Classic Burley Kake being the other) and if you love Vaper's, you MUST try this. Ages wonderfully.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

I have tried so many Virginias of late that it is getting harder to rate them at 3 to 4 star. There are so many.

I find this one to be a "somewhat recommended" for me. The pack, and burn are good, but I find this blend a little rough around the edges. For my money I find P&C's "Old Red", and McCelland #2015, much sweeter, and more mellow. I will cellar this and review in a few months. Rate

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

The quality of the tobaccos used is readily apparent, but this just doesn't seem to have much flavor to me. I sort of expected a little more sweetness or more spice.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Pipe Used: Cavicci

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars Online

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

Pipes and tobaccos are truly quirky things. This blend really didn't work for me in a small to average size bowl but in a large-ish, wide-ish, pot-ish Tinsky it sang like a choir. All of the tatse of the virginias, black cavendish and perique are there. It is full and slightly sweet tasting without being overwhelmeing. If you are a fast puffer it could nip you. As with some other H&H blends I taste the perique but don't really see it in the can.

The unflavored black cavendish does indeed add a twist to the traditional VaPer and this may warrant laying aside a couple of large tins to see how it would be with a couple of years age on it.

Pipe Used: varied

Age When Smoked: newish

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (12)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Please sip this one s-l-o-w-l-y. If you puff this one without care, it will be dry and ashy and you will not enjoy it. That is what I did at first and was initially turned off by the blend. Then I read AJ’s (the creator of the blend) recommended method of smoking it (see oldest review of this blend). You really need to smoke this like a temperamental Virginia. When you tug on it almost imperceptively, you unlock the secret door to another world. Now you enter the rich world of beefsteak red Virginia carefully blended with a delicious perique and Cavendish compliment. The mild Cavendish really plays an important balancing role and is what helps to make this VaPer blend so enjoyable. A blend with body, it has thick smoke and good mouth feel. Stays lit, burns quickly to a small amount of dark grey ash. No dottle and leaves the bowl dry, what a delight. Another good point about this dryish tobacco is that you can smoke the same pipe for 2 to 3 sessions without needing to rest it. I would guess it has about 15% perique.

Pipe Used: straight billiard, Rhodesian

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Been smoking it all day long........delicious. Delightful citrus tang and sweetness.

Update: Been a regular in my morning pipe for a couple weeks now....still enjoying every tasty minute of it!!

Darkly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darkly (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just got a 8oz tin of this stuff in mail today from P&C.. First off, I'm a fan of VaPer, and this is my 4th different blend of the VaPer incarnation I've smoked.. Reviewed in a GBD Shoreline Blasted bulldog.. This is a first impression review.. Cut is a fine ribbon, with lotsa shades of browns, a touch of redishness, and just a little mix of black. The tin note is sweet, and slightly musty, but not a whole lot of scent coming outta the tin. Packs and lights effortlessly. Sweet virginia's are the forefront flavor here.. It's alittle darker then that grassy hay like virginia, but not so much that you can't taste it.. The Perique included it's raisiny/plummish accents to the smoke but there is very little spicy/pepperiness that can be detected by me. The smoke is rich with a nice mouthfeel, and no bite what so ever..Just enough Vitamin N to be satisfying without leaving your head spinning, though YMMV on that. The only reason i didn't give this a 4 star rating was because I like a little pepper in my VaPer, and this doesn't really have that. Other then that, I could really see me buying more of this and would like to see this blend land in my rotation as a regular.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought this tobacco about 6 months ago and for the life of me I can't remember why I cellared it away? I suspect that it was too damp and steamy, giving it a hint of bite, but don't hold me to that. Well , I just retried it in a tall cob and it is wonderful, maybe still could use some drying as there seems to still be some steam. The first thing I noticed is the cut is real fine,(ribbon) almost like Dunhill's EMP, Margate or Skiff's cuts but not quite as "hair like". I love the way it packs, lights and burns but it is easy to over pack and also easy to shut the air hole if you hard tamp. The flavor has a great Perique presents, not the spice hit, that I don't really care for as I feel that bite is just around the corner, but the "wet concrete" smell & taste, that I actually find interesting. I find the Virginia has that touch of McCVV ( McClellands Vinegar Virginia)that I love, it gives that sweet and sour taste. The Cavendish just comes along for the ride and maybe tames the Perique pepper, there might even be a bit of Burley in this blend . I want to give this 4 stars, but I am reluctant until I've ordered another bulk batch to check for consistency. Having a choice, I think I like the McC VaPers better , only because they are flakes and have a strong McCVV taste that jumps out with some sweet and sour. This is also very similar to 4 Noggins, Weybridge or McC's 2015 bulk. However, this might be a better all day blend since it is easier to load and light while driving with my knees and elbows !!!.

Have to agree with reviewer "Parker"

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

Another good blend of Virginias and Perique, but not nearly as enjoyable as Rolando's Own. I did not notice the Black Cavendish at all and the Perique was really noticeable, especially when I smoked it in a corncob. You had the citrusy, earthy sweetness of the Viginias and just a bit too much saltiness from the Perique. It was similar to Rolando's Own, but not as good. I'm not a huge fan of Perique, so I added some aromatic Butter Pecan from Atlandis and it married really well. Definitely still worth a smoke, but I think this is best for those just beginning the art of pipe smoking and wanting to discover the qualities of different tobaccos and how they taste and smell. If you're one of those, go ahead and try this blend.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

Same general taste as Russ' Louisiana Red - i.e. seems to be the same virginias. Not as much perique (or maybe different perique), not as spicy and I didn't notice the perique backnote so much. The black cavendish must have a smoothing and slightly sweetening effect, and occasionally came out tastefully alongside the virginia. Overall tasty but mellow flavor. Decent nicotine kick. Bite wasn't a concern. It seemed like the full flavor profile came out better in a wider gauge bowl, whereas a narrower bowl accentuated the sweetness... at times almost too sweet for me in the narrow bowl. Good stuff and well put together I say. Thanks Russ & AJ.

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A tasty blend.

Upon lighting you get the sutble sweetness of Virginias and the spice of Perique. The description says theres Cavendish too but I don't taste any.

Basically, its sweet and spicy all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. Nothing too complex here, just a pretty good Va/Per.

I have really been liking Vapers of late and have been trying many of them. Iwas sent a good amount of this blend to sample and review, and I find it a very enjoyable smoke. It is a multicolorwd blend going through the gamut of light brown to dark brown. It has a nice musky aroma in the pouch which made my mouth water. it is a Vaper with an unflavored black cavendish muxed in which gives it a smoothness and body. It comes a touch wet to my taste and is better if allowed to dry for a few hours. I find Russ's blend tend to be a bit green right off the bat but do age to very good blends after a few months. This one I would imagine will follow that. I have put some away to cellar and will return to it. So my review here is with the non aged blend. It does load very nice in the pipe and is easily lit with the light char light method and maintains a nice, slow, burn. It is very mild at the start of the bowl but it does gain strenth as it burns down, becoming quite tasty towards the last third of the bowl. It burns very clean in the pipe smoking down to a dry gray fluffy ash. No dottle left at all. It has a nice sweet, spicy, flavor and is very enjoyable. I would prefer it not have the black cavendish as it does lessen the perique flavor and strenth. It has the wonderful musty room note that perique produces and I love. This is a noce blend and Ai can't wait to try it with some age on it.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this tobacco. The cavendish gives it a bit of sweetness, and the bright Virginias make it zesty. With a bit of spice from the perique, it's got a lot of good flavor. Nice cut, easy to smoke.

I'm only giving it three of four stars because I can't figure out if I like this more or less than Virginia Spice (adds cigar leaf) or Anniversary Kake (way more complicated flavors) from the same blender. They are all excellent in their own right. Russ clearly knows VAPers.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

This is a VaPer, not a Virginia alone. Emphasis on the PERIQUE, and that was what I was seeking. And I found it.

Sweet rich Virginia flavor, tang and roundness are very much complimented by the Perique. Twangy, tang, spice. Almost a dill pickle effect at play here. Very nice and the cavendish is well behaved and controlled never dominating either the flavor of the Virginia or the sassy aspect of the Perique.

If you love perique, try this you won't be disappointed!! I tell you what!

Dedalus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dedalus (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A good VaPer, but I would certainly recommend SG St. James Flake or Rattray's Marlin Flake above it. I rate it highly especially for the price, but SG StJF is equally as reasonable and leagues more satisfying.

parker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parker (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

one of my favorite blends,tangy fermented tin aroma,either from the perique,cavendish or both.tim aroma translates to the taste,tangy.a taste sensation that i love.good va/per blend. another thing to love about this blend is its ease of packing and lighting.i don,t want to dry,chop,pack in a special way.i want to fill up light and go.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

Now I had high expectations for this blend because I love their Anniversary Kake and I have smoked a few bowls of their Louisiana Red so I know that Russ knows how to blend a VaPer. I was not let down at all. Read on.

First off the bag aroma was amazing! I opened up the ziplock and stuck my nose in. This blend has more of a sour smell than a lot of the other VaPer blends that I have tried so far. And you can also smell the Perique. That?s a good sign because now I know that there is a decent amount in there.

The blend came to me a bit dry so I stuck it in a bowl, wet a wash cloth with distilled water and put it over the top of the bowl for about 6 hours. Every few hours I would take the towel off and stir the tobacco around so that it re-hydrated evenly. After that I let it rest for a few days and then started smoking it. This review is after 6 bowls of this blend. I smoked it in both my Peterson #268 Zulu and a Peterson #80S Bent Bulldog and it performed well in both.

Packing was easy as this comes in a ribbon cut. I mostly used the gravity method and then pushed down another pinch on top. This seemed to work out rather well. Lighting was also extremely easy. The aroma that came out of the bowl reminded me a lot of Scottish Cake for some reason. For the half of the bowl my initial impressions were that this was absolutely the best bulk blend VaPer I have ever tried. Everything seems balanced throughout the whole smoke. There are never any ups or downs and I am wondering if it is the addition of the Cavendish that keeps everything flowing smoothly.

For the second half of the bowl the Perique does seem to pick up a bit. Not enough to deter most people but it definitely lets you know that it is there. This one smoked cool enough for me that it went all the way to the bottom of the bowl without any gurgling or steam sounds coming out of the bowl.

I will say that I did get one bowl going way too hot and smoked it way too fast. The result was a sour, ?burnt? taste that lasted the rest of the smoke even after I had set it down to cool. My advice is to smoke this one slowly and you will be rewarded for the extra time.

Overall, I liked this blend more than the Anniversary Kake that is available from the same site.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very good Virginia with a noticeable amount of perique, I've been smoking this for the last six months and is just keeps getting better the packaging is easy, the lighting is easy and keeping it lit it's not troublesome, the flavor is sweet virginias most of the time with the perique very lively from middle of the bowl, great stuff, not very overpowering but letting you know that is there, nothing but white ash at the bottom of the pipe my only gripe about it is that you have to be careful because it has a medium tendency to bite but overall not that different to most virginia blends. I f you can try to age it for at least 3 months to really get the virginias going.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this blend a little rough around the edges. For me, it didn?t burn hot but it was more harsh than flavorful and irritated my throat and nasal passages. Perhaps I got an overdose of perique. However, I can handle and enjoy C&D Old Joe Krantz that contains 25% perique so perhaps perique is not the offender. And I am not a novice VAPER smoker. I can?t explain it other than to sign off as Walter Cronkite did on his nightly newscasts: ?That?s the way it is? (with me, my physiology and this blend).

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 6.5 out of 10.

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Wow, I did not expect that! It is good, but not like any VAPer that I have had, and not really like a Scott (I kinda' half-expected it to be like that too). It has a wonderful sweet and smoky flavor to it, but it is subdued in a very subtle way that lets the Va's come through in all of their glory. The Cav takes the Perique by hand and does not let it do too much to the palette while the Perique keeps the Cav in check as well. However, together there is a liqueur-like top note (top note only really, sometimes an after-taste, but it never competes with the flavor of the base tobacco flavors. Fascinating) from the two that is ghost like, not syrupy at all, something that I was concerned with when I read the description. Not a concern at all now.

One cannot overstate that this is first and for-most a VaPer and the Va's take the driver's seat throughout the smoke and they are wonderful. This has to be smoked to be understood... and several times at that... something one will want to do after the first puff, so don't worry. Knocked this one out of the park Russ! A truly unique, exquisite smoke that needs no aging. Thank you.

Namaste'

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)

This has been the only one of the pipesandcigars.com blends that I did'nt really appreciate.It was so incredibly dry in the pouch and burned hot as hell by 1/4 of the way down the bowl.For an awesome VA/Per blend PLEASE try "Anniversary Kake" also by pipesand cigars.com.Unless your're a dedicated and "dyed in the wool" straight VA fan pass this one on by... prep