Toasted Black Cavendish and Virginia with a sweet Cherry flavoring

1.7
Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco was a sampler that I tried, and I am glad I used a cob. This blend burns somewhat mildly but it is wet and really strong in cherry flavor. I am not surprised, but am alarmed that anyone would want to have a blend this strong in a pipe. I did try it toned down with some burly and it was a bit more tolerable.

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

i just could'nt taaste the cherry in this,most of the time all that came through was,well,i'm not sure.i guess i'd have to say virginia,here and there i would get a hint of cherry,the aroma that filled the room was kind of like cherry ,but nothing like the classic cherry blends that fill a room at the very start of puffing and stay the whole time to the end.i probably won't try this again if i'm looking for cherry blend.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

The casing on this one is reminiscent of plastic that has been in contact with something in the cherry medicinal family for a long time. It certainly does a poor impersonation of tobacco. The strongest thing about this tobacco is the ghosts it imparts into ones pipe. Thankfully I smoked this in a cob. I doubt even cherry tobacco afficianados would want this one.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Okay, so I knew going in that this one would try my taste buds. I'm not usually up to trying cherry blends of any kind, but since Altadis sends my pipe club a blend of the month, I do feel obligated to sample each offering. I used a trusty Comoy's Highgate that I have long reserved for aromatic blends to give this one a try.

Positives - This blend burns fairly dry for a heavy aromatic.

Negatives - This blend tastes like cherry cough syrup.

If you are an aromatic fancier, and particularly a pipester who enjoys the taste of cherry in your smoke.... Well, here you go pardner.

Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend brings together the worst combination possible: Cheap tobacco, and cheap, synthetic casing. Altadis should save a bunch of money, and stop producing this sort of dreck. Then they could invest in some good tobacco, and better quality flavorings. I know they can make some winners, but they are wasting their time and resources with this one.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)

Smokes and burns well. Its a good aro, and is great for beginners. For some reason it smells a bit like playdough.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a well recomended tobacco, for its price, in my book. Here's why:

This stuff might be El Cheapo but the quality of the bag I got was definitely a step above "drugstore" blend. Without a doubt this is a heavily cased aromatic but I didn't find it to be overdone. I did not have a problem with this blend ghosting the bowl.

And it tasted great. Nice burnt, sweet taste of decent black cavendish.

For the price, well worth it.

Kevinalban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevinalban (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I really didnt think it was THAT bad. For being a blend I found in a cheap discount tobacco store I guess maybe my expectations were pretty low. It is super sweet. Probably too sweet for most, but I like a sugary tobacco. I would only really recommend this to cherry fans, but even then Im sure you could find something better (CAO Cherrybomb perhaps?).

Piper Chris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper Chris (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Overwhelming

Luckily I smoked this in my wifes mini corn cob. I was waiting for the nyquil taste but James said it, cough drops.. yuck! Maybe THE WORST pipe tobacco I've ever tried (next to Red Cap). It literally made my stomach turn, (although that could've been the pepper jack cheese I ate previously.. I doubt it.) This one won't get a second chance. After 4 minutes there was gurgling, I couldn't even finish the small bowl. I've been looking for a cherry to mix in my "junk batch" or maybe I won't even put it in there? Highly unrecommended. If you do smoke it maybe try it while plugging your nose, it could help.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant

This is easily the most cased/flavored tobacco that I have ever put in my pipe. It won't find it's way there again...

It smells sickeningly sweet out of the bag. Add to that a medicine cherry aroma similar to children's Nyquil.

Like many other Altadis blends, this tobacco is wet and burns hot. So if you are adventurous and want to try it, make sure you dry it overnight and watch your tongue.

I've tried a couple cherry blends that I've enjoyed, so I wasn't going to not smoke this just because I didn't like how it smelled. Well, the flavor was just as bad. Once again, think children's Nyquil and you have an idea of what it tastes like. I'm really glad that I used a cob for this, because the ghosts would have ruined a briar. They're so bad, that my cob still wreaks of cherry after multiple salt/alcohol treatments.

Smokers beware! This blend will offend your nose, taste buds, and tongue!

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

As I'd already reviewed, with mixed results, the other two pouches that came in my Altadis sampler pack (the others being Blue Note and Fox & Hound), I figured I'd bite the bullet and fill my bowl this morning with the one I was dreading the most: Wild Cherry. I was dreading it because I'm not a cherry fan (in fact, I pretty much hate it. I love cherries, but cherry flavoring tastes as much like real cherries as banana flavored candy tastes like real bananas. Think about it.), and also because the smell coming from the pouch was so strong it was actually a bit stomach-churning.

Filled it, lit it - surprise! Where's the cherry? Strange. The overwhelming medicinal odor coming from the raw 'baccy changes as it burns into a very mellow, fairly pleasant and mild cherry aroma. The taste has even less cherry in it. In fact, it has very little flavor at all.

Once again, Altadis has managed to create an aberration among drug store blends; in fact, even the preservative (which should be stomping all over this one) seems to be lacking. Oh, I know it's in there, I just can't taste it.

Wild Cherry isn't a horrible blend, but it's hard to recommend with no real flavor to the casing or tobacco.

DEMONSIX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEMONSIX (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sorry...not a cherry fan. wasn't bad for cherry thoough. reminds me of cough drops. If you like cherry you would prolly like this.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Similar to my review for Altadis Blue Note, only that this one reminded me of Tinderbox's Anniversary Cherry that I smoked many years ago. I like cherry flavoring, but it didn't really come through very much on this one for me; although it was very definitely there in the pouch aroma. Too much moisture gooping up the pipe. No appreciable tobacco taste. Not a hot smoke, but not an enjoyable one either. I don't think I'd ever have the whim for this one again. If you like cherry-cased blends, give it a try and compare it to your favorite one out there and see for yourself.

UPDATE 6-24-09: I've been letting this one sit in its pouch slightly opened. It was no longer moist to the touch but not by any means dry. The PG was not totally gone by way of taste, but considerably toned down. I put some in one of two Ropp cherrywood pipes that are 30 years old or so. Let me say that other, non-cherry-flavored tobacco smoked in either of these two pipes do not come through with any residual cherry flavor from the wood of the pipes. The first smokes in these pipes many years ago would give a hint of cherry flavoring, but that has long since disappeared. Anyway, this Wild Cherry blend was quite good at this point. There was the taste and aroma of cherries - not medicinal by any stretch. The overall experience was a sweet, cherry tasting tobacco. The closest to what I would describe as "sweet and buttery." There was no harshness nor gurgle of any appreciable note. I've upgraded this to 3 stars. I do believe the 2 months sitting slightly opened has helped this blend immensely. One that I will add to my aromatic rotation only after treating any new pouch in the same manner.