At last, the intriguing taste of Almond Liquor captured in a mild and mellow blend. Definitely, smokes cool.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Almond
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
1.4
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The almond is more like amaretto, and mostly hides the cavendish style burley and Virginia, though the tobacco taste does show up here and there. When it does, you get a light nuts and earth, and a few blades of grass. Has almost no nicotine. Won't bite, but it is a sipping blend. It needs some dry time, and then will burn reasonably well with a fairly consistent flavor. It gets a little syrupy near the finish. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights as it tends to burn a little wet. Has an okay after taste. More of an entry level aro, but it's also a pleasant enough all day or change of pace smoke.

qmechanics Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
qmechanics (7)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Years ago I had been accustomed to smoking aromatics. I tried this blend and other Altadis tobaccos after taking up pipe smoking again. Many of those I tried suffered from the same affliction as this one. The casing had been horrible. After an initial pleasing flavor, the tobacco went bland. There is not much more to say except: Altadis could do themselves a favor by taking this off the shelf and reworking it. This is not a good blend. There had been a bright side to all of this. As a result of my bad experience I did a bit of research and looked more seriously at English and Virginias. I have never looked back. Occassionally I will smoke an aromatic. More often than not it will be an aromatic that shows strong leanings towards and English or Virginian profile. Q

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I'm with Sop - this one is not for pipe consumption.

The casing was certainly present in waves at the initial lighting (almond extract?) but burned off quickly and left one with a pipe loaded with sour mash burley.

The above descriptive is accurate, it is mild, mellow and cool burning.

Davetopay2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay2 (16)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild Tolerable

Just don't....don't do this to yourself. I only tried it because it came in a bomb/sampler/freebie package.

Grossly sticky, feels like plastic. Smokes like chemicals. Tastes like nothing with a hint of burning trash.

Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is another sample that came to me. I love almonds but I did not get that flavor or aroma from this blend at all. To be honest, I liked the flavor I did get from it and enjoyed the aroma very much. Just does not live up to it's name so I can't rate it higher. It is a mottled, multicolor blend and with a very long shag cut. It is way too moist out of the pouch and somewhat sticky. It took a couple of lights and relights to smoke. Personally, though I liked the liquer flavor I found this to smoke really hot. Not for beginners at all. Not one of Altadis's better blends and will use it mixed with something else, maybe a chocolate and have a Mounds experience.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

pipe smoking has brought such pleasure into my life that I am reluctant to be severly critical of any product - after all, if it sells it must be giving some pleasure to someone.

Almondine came to me as part of a gift package of aromatics at Christmas. With all the affection for the gifter it has to be pointed out that the taste and smell of this concoction are synthetic. It is not really possible to recommend it to anyone: there are so many delightful aromatics around.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend starts out nice enough. It packs well. It isn't too sticky and wet. It burns well. The almond liqueur is pleasant enough. The problem is, the base tobaccoes just don't hold up. Once the casing burns off (as it inevitably does) you are left with some rough, ashy tasting tobacco. For me this happened about a quarter of the way down the bowl. It does smoke cool and didn't bite me. But the taste once the casing was gone really put me off. Consequently, I can't recommend it.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)

Not the best effort from the Sutliff stable by any means. Smells like a winner in the bag and in the first half of the bowl more or less. Goes from a sweet aromatic to a common VaBur in the end. When I finish these 4 ounces I will not likely re order. This for me is a hay cutting or weed eating smoke.

Pipe Used: Various