A savory blend of Virginia and Burley Leaf with Velvet Black Cavendish. Aged in Whiskey barrels for precisely one month, this mixture smokes smooth and heralds a marvelous aroma of tropical fruit and hickory nuts.

BrandAshton
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Other / Misc, Whisky
Strength
Taste
FT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FT (3)

As I am somewhat new to the Pipe - I have purchased Several sample packs of tobacco between 5-10g to try out and this one gave me a pleasant surprise - a wonderful fruity aroma when I opened the packet – it was easy to light and keep alight – little to no tongue bite and a cool smoke – I was smoking this on a damp November day, whilst walking the dog, I found the experience to be very pleasurable indeed – I will invest in a 50g tin to help me through the cold winter walks with my dog....

artielon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
artielon (6)

When tin first opened very strong berry flavors. First some effort to get lit and some tongue bite. When properly lit burned very easily smoking it very gently (which it demands). Very cool smoke and very relaxing! Quite pleasant aromatic flavors - this will be one of my favorites - a rainy day not required, just a peaceful setting.

Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway with filter

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: Töölön Sikarikauppa Helsinki

Aether Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aether (6)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A l'ouverture de la boite, le mélange de tabac va du jaune doré au noir. Il s'en dégage une odeur de fruits exotiques ainsi qu'un peu de whisky. C'est une odeur tiède et doucement fruitée; un parfum d'été indien. Le tabac n'est pas trop humide et ne nécessite que peu de temps de séchage, il peu donc être fumé rapidement. Sa coupe relativement fine permet un bourrage et un allumage aisé. Au fumage le goût en bouche est très agréable et ne pique pas la langue. On sent très bien les fruits exotiques, le whisky est quant à lui très léger. En ce qui concerne la noix de pécan, celle ci se trouve en retrait, plutôt en arrière gout lors des grosses bouffées. La fumée est moelleuse, un petit peu sèche peut être parce que le mélange n'est pas autant sucré que les autres tabacs de ce genre. Le fumage se fait de façon régulière du début à la fin avec une pipe correctement bourrée. En ce qui me concerne je trouve cet aromatique très plaisant à fumer. Peu sucré et cepandant très doux, c'est un moment de bonheur et d'appaisement à chaque bouffée. L'appelation "Rainy Day" sied à merveille; il a fait mauvais toute cette semaine chez moi, et j'en ai fumé dehors a l'abri de la pluie, ce qui m'a procuré un peu de couleurs dans cette ambiance morne et grise. Cela me fait penser à une jolie carte postale colorée qui vous arrive du bout du monde alors que c'est la fin de l'automne...

rincewind8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rincewind8 (6)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Because Dunhill decided to cut down on UK smokers I had to order some NC, EMP and few others from Germany. Along with ordered tins I received sample of Ashton's Rainy Day and pack of jellies :)

Everybody knows haribo's so I'll concentrate on Rainy Day. Aroma was very intense coconut/tropical fruits really hit your nosebuds underlined by hint of tobaccos - they shoud put this into air fresheners.

Packs well, lightning is surprisingly easy considering thickness of ribbon cut, stays lit very well. Only the very first puff tastes ok , it instantly turns into tonguebite mayhem. I must say I'm not really fan of heavy aromatics I prefer pure tobacco like virginia flavoured by orientals, perique or cavendish additions. Almost undetectable nicotine level. This is just not it!

I don't think I sway the Ashton way.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (28)

after the 50g tin of 'consummate gentleman' has now been finished i moved on to a 50g tin of 'rainy day' now this is a very nice gentle smoke, very relaxing and quite sweet, and its a lovely aroma, i quite like to odd aromatic blend and this is no disapointment, not much tonuge bite but the get the best out of this tobacco it needs to be smoked slowly and its quite fast burning so take it slow and it will reward you, the room note is very nice and overall a nice tobacco you can relax with at anytime. im going to buy more of 'rainy day' soon.

Pipe Used: peterson

deersunlimited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deersunlimited (2)

After 4 bowls and now a dedicated pipe this has become one of my favorite blends (if not #1). When you open it, it has a very pleasant smell with a hint of berries. Not a ton of flavor or overpowering by any means but I never get bored with it and I find it a very relaxing and calming blend that is perfect for contemplating life on a rainy day.

I would highly recommend everyone to give it a try for themselves.

Zero_Gravity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zero_Gravity (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoy this brand. I bought a tin expecting something stronger and more aggressive. I was pleasantly surprised to open the tin and find it very "happy" and "friendly" as I like to call it, smelling of fermented or dry fruits like figs or raisins, and packs, lights, and smokes almost perfect.

Best bang for buck, and a high class baccy to boot!

Flyerdog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyerdog (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am not a fan of aromatics - I smoke mostly straight VA or VaPers. That being said, this provides a nice smoke if smoked gently. Smoke it hard and your tongue is not going to be happy.

Pipe Used: Tinsky bent

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

Purchased From: 4Noggins

PuffPuffKeep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffKeep (3)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's tangy. It's a little fruity and leans towards the citrus side. Smoke it improperly and it will bite you.

The name alone should tell you this is not an everyday smoke. It's got that flavor you want to try every now and again. It's ok.

puff puff pass...

MyWay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MyWay (2)

I received a fresh new tin from Switzerland today and popped it open. Tasty and relaxing, leaves a fine citrus/tropical fruit room note. Burned hot in one of my small briars. Was that a trace of tongue bite towards the end? It was kind of hard to keep lit, even after padding it down. I would definitely purchase more of this in the future just to have around. The taste and aroma are definitely appealing.

earl_of_cumberland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl_of_cumberland (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not my favorite aromatic but it works. Also not the best of Ashtons tobaccos but if you don't smoke it to often it can be quite nice to take a bowl on a rainy day.

I noticed that it actually don't taste as good on a hot summers day as it does on a grey chilly evening. Probably just my imagination but still.

My wife does not appreciate the room note on this one as she thinks it has a funny almost sour smell.

The taste of exotic fruits and hickory is almost undetectable but it's there in the background.

A OK tobacco but I will probably not buy a new tin directlly after this one is empty.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This leaves a film feeling in my mouth and the last half of the bowl has tastes of motor oil.After tin was opened some time the tobacco was still wet/moist but the fruit aroma was disappearing rather fast .

Ashton Rainy Day . Wow , what an un-lit aroma ! I cant particularly give the smell a definite identity , all I can say is it's a great aroma being lively , Fruity , a touch of Liquor , and a good Tobacco hit , one of the best aromas as of yet ! There isn't an issue when it comes to the hydration amount , mine is fab' ! I get this lit , with ease and straight away I am impressed with the flavour . It is by no means a harsh aromatic , there is a very good selection of tastes , all reflecting the un-lit aroma , some Whiskey but I find that the lightest addition with the Fruit/Citrus taking the lead with an almost Pineapple note to it . The balance of the different Tobaccos is an impeccable one , neither of them take the spotlight but they all have an equal share . Vitamin N I find to be just right , not strong and not weak . A negative point , again more subjective is I find it to be quite harsh if inhaled , so with that in mind it might suit a "flavour only" smoker . The room-note resembles both the un-lit aroma and the taste , not too heavy , quite Fruity with good Tobacco notes . If it weren't for the inhalation difficulty this would get 4 stars , but sadly it can only get 3 from me with that in mind !

Pipe Used: Rattray Six Friends

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Although most Ashton blends are quite good, I found this blend almost vile. Over cased and over flavored. Not a positive smoking experience even for aromatic fans.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: NA

Similar Blends: nothing.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Smoke this right out of the tin and it can be cloying and can bite, but let it dry out and it becomes a really nice blend that I am enjoying very much. It claims to have a nutty, fruity flavor which I don't taste at all, but I do taste the whiskey in it and it gives it a smooth sweet taste with the VA sweetness coming though, the burley giving it body as does the black cavendish. In the tin, it gives off a sweet aroma and smells typical of an aromatic. It is composed of rough cut ribbon flakes and run the gamet as to color, from light brown to dark almost black brown. Dried out it packs very easy and lights right up and stays lit giving a very slow nice burn that burns right down to the bottom of the pipe into a powdery ash. NO dottle and no wet crud at the bottom of the pipe. This is a very tasty relaxing smoke for me and the room note is very pleasant and will make friends for you. The leaf used in the blend is quality, has a velvety hand feel and it is a top notch aromatic. I recommend trying this but like I said, let it dry out some and you will be rewarded.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This is a tobacco that I actually liked, but, after opening it and trying a bowl, I thought it was much like a tin that I already had opened: "Dan Tobacco Treasures of Ireland - Shannon."

Same sweet and fruity flavor, though not as sweet and pronounced as Shannon. Also, I've started to wonder what manufacturers are thinking when they label tobaccos. Does anybody here think of sweet and fruity scents and flavors when they think of a RAINY DAY? I for one don't. On a rainy day, you're just never going to beat a good English blend, which "Rainy Day" is not, nor pretends to be.

It's a pretty decent tobacco, sort of a "Shannon Lite" if you will. My wife liked the room note, and it is a nice, pleasant smoke, best suited for a mild after dinner pipe.

akademo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akademo (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

very good blend of tobacco, perfect for rainy days, as the name says, and a glass of good cognac in hand ...

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

The trouble with most of these aromatic blends, whether it be Petersons, Ashtons or Sam Gawiths, is they always invariably smell fantastic when you open the tin.

It rarely follows through on the smoke. Rainy Day is not an exception.

It has a little more character than Winding Road, which, on refection, was pretty bland. The best bit is, of course, filling the pipe time, what a superb aroma. More or less what it says on the tin.

Traces of the aroma hang around for a few puffs and then just dissipate. It goes out a lot and has a rather sour smell at rest.

I had a surprise when Mrs RH commented - favourably - on the smell. She doesn't often pass comment, unless its really strong or horrid. So it scores highly on the room note.

In conclusion then, yet another brew from Ashtons that promises a great deal at tin-opening time but inevitably disappoints.

Don't think I'd rush to buy another tin.

Xenophon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xenophon (1)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin the aroma is very pleasant indeed, evoking ripe tropical fruit, soft vanilla and a hint of whisky.

Lighting was very easy and the first puffs promised a very delicate, aromatic smoke with the whisky note clearly detectable. Unfortunately things went south pretty fast after that (about 5 minutes in the smoke). Even though I smoked it slowly it started biting fiercely and the delicate light taste was totally lost in what I can only describe as a very unpleasant bitter, oily film covering my palate and tongue. It then started smoking wet and whatever enjoyment was left after the taste got clobbered up quickly dissipated. I gave up after 20 minutes and emptied the bowl. Overall it's a disappointment, if you're an aromatics afficionado it may be worth a try else I'd steer clear.

gmconklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gmconklin (6)
Mild Strong Very Mild Pleasant

I will have to give this one another try at some point... but my first experience with this was not what I expected. Out of the tin it smells wonderful, just as described, and I am a whiskey (Crown Royal Black Label)fan so I thought I was going to be in heaven. I wasn't. If I recall correctly, within 4-5 puffs, my mouth had a "waxy" like taste in it and it felt as if my tongue went numb. I only made it a bit further and then just gave up and emptied the bowl. I wasn't even able to reload with a different blend and have a nice smoke after that... My tongue definitely needed a rest... I am going to try this one again as I said, but right now it would not be on my list.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A unique aromatic. Like a Carmen Miranda hat with all that fruit, but tropical fruit. I really liked the tobaccos in the blend, and the flavor, but I can't smoke aromatics like this all the time. It was not as overpowering as some. It is definitely a hit with the ladies or with nonsmokers.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoyed this blend fairly well. The aroma is very appealing as well as the slightly sweet taste. A nice, nutty, fruit aroma upon cracking the container. I smoked it right out of the tin and rate this as a pretty good aromatic that is easy on the tongue/palate if not pushed. This tin appeared to have had a longer shelf life than most as the tobacco coloring had leached through the plastic cover inside. Therefore, maybe this is an indication that a little age might be beneficial to some aromatic blends. I liked it pretty good & feel that any aromatic officianado will find it...interesting? and palatable. This review is based only on the quality of an aromatic and therefore, IMHO, Rainy Day merits two **s!

Gran Grifón Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gran Grifón (9)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you are an anti-aromatic taliban don´t waste your money and time.

This is a delicious aromatic mixture, it´s very light and extremely easy to smoke. Doesn´t bits at all if you smoke it relatively slow.

Tastes amazingly fruity with a point of whiskey and extemely dry for an aromatic blend. A great tobacco for begginers.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ashton's Rainy Day is an interesting aromatic; full flavored, but with a flavor which reminds me more of smoking a tangerine than anything else. I never did pick up a nutty flavor, but it was almost a tangerine-guava-passionfruit taste/smell. Easily lit, didn't require extra lights. First third of the bowl yielded a heavy volume of smoke which was somewhat moist and very fruity, almost sickeningly so; the Virginias and Burley's didn't come out in force, but the cavendish was much more noticible. The 2nd third of bowl became more dictated by the virginias and burleys, with much of the casing becomig burned off. Had to be careful not to scorch tongue here!! Smoking slowly yeilding a nice taste. Final third of the bowl cooled down considerably, with only the taste of the virginias coming through, with a hint of the casing, but noticibly less bite (either from burning off, or my taste buds are numbed, don't know which). Flavor became kind of scorched-tasting. Little to no dottle remaining; fluffy dark gray ash.

All in all, a fragrant smoke which can be enjoyed by those who aren't huge aromatic fans but occasionally find it enjoyable, and will certainly find love in the hearts of aromatic smokers. Pure english blend purists, however, will probably find this way too fruity for their liking. And yes, it does taint the pipe afterwards. I don't know how long that will last, but I could still detect it after smoking 2 bowls of a latakia base, if that tells you anything.