Pleasantly palatable and wonderfully smooth, this aromatic mixture is slightly nutty, boasting flavors of maple, coconut and dark chocolate.

BrandAshton

2.7
BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I found this blend reminded me a lot of Peterson aromatics. Somewhat sticky coming out of the tin, very heavily cased and rather sweet. I detected a fruity note in the blend and an occasional taste of chocolate muted by what I assume is some kind of coconut flavor.

If smoked properly, it doesn't produce much of a bite. A decent smoke but nothing to make me come back for more. Once this tin is gone, I won't buy it again.

JC Foote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JC Foote (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There seems to be some tounge bite on the charring lite but then the baccy settles down and becomes a cool, tastey smoke. The burn quality is very good and burns all the way to the bottom without any relite. I do agree with other posters that this blend should be smoked slow. By doing this, you can really taste the chocolate and the hint of nuts. I do not however taste maple or coconut. A good change of tatse blend, but not in my regular rotation.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This tobacco is made with very light, lemon Virginia, Golden Virginia and Cavendish. I noted in this tobacco, only the Black Chocolate and Maple, but not the Coconut flavour. It have some Maple flavour in the tin, but their smoke have much more taste than flavour. Is a good and impressive tobacco, but too charged in Nicotine for an Aromatic.

JakeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeMan (7)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I like the the flavoring combination and the tin note is suprb. But when light, this tobacco has a very mild taste. Too bad I was really looking forward to a heavier flavor. Man does this stuff bite! I tried it several different pipes including a full-bent Savanelli with a dry filter system and it still bit the hell out of my tounge.

Some reviewrs like this blend while others don't and I gues this is just one of those tobaccos that you either like or hate. I'd like this tobacco more if the tast was stronger and the smoke was cooler.

FlyFisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlyFisher (3)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoked this as a beginning smoker in an English briar Estate. Thought the fire company was going to have to be called to put out a mouth fire. I could not detect the flavors others have mentioned, all I could get was heat. The only good thing I can say is the aroma was OK. I was lucky someone just let me try a bowl and I didn't have to buy a tin. Will leave this for the more hard-core smokers, can't recommend this one.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)

I was impressed by this blend.

The Tin-note was good with hints of Chocolate and Nuts, but I have had this before and found them a banale smoke.

Not with this Tobacco. The wide cut ribbon is easy to fill but takes a bit of tamping to keep it lit. The draw was good with generaly cool smoke and a nice smooth rouded flavour though (as is so often the case)light compared to the tin-note. It has little bite and burns quite clean to the bottom. A good non pervasive room note is a further plus.

On balance a much better than average lighlty topped cavandish. A fine pleasant smoke.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Better get your asbestos tongue condom out. Don't worry, there's not much flavor to taste here anyway.

Well, at least it does smell nice. It seems to be good quality leaf and it didn't gunk up my pipe.

This blend would be totally forgettable if it hadn't caused me to spend a day or two nursing my poor tongue back to form every time I smoked it. I can't recommend it to anyone.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

In terms of aromatics this really is not a bad blend. When I review aromatics I always compare them to other tobaccos of the same ilk. To compare this to nightcap is just plain apples to oranges.

As far as aromatics go this is a pretty nice blend. The tobacco is not extremely sodden, there really is not a lot of relights needed, there is no cess pool in the heel of your pipe on the completion, and it seems to be quality leaf.

The flavor is what you would expect of most aromatic tobaccos, it is OK but nowhere near the beautiful and inviting smells the leaf teases your senses with. Its sweet but Ill be damned if I can pick up the "coconut" that the tin advertises. Could be my inferior palate.

At the end of the day you could do a lot worse by an aromatic, and there is something very noble about this blend, as if it is in a different league than the soggy bulk blends sitting on most strip mall tobacconists shelf's. Worth a shot but not a smoke that will cause me to crave more.

Buffalo NY Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buffalo NY (1)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

After reading reviews I picked up a tin of this from a local b&m. I wanted something smooth and tasty for the first pipe of the day. This is an extremely light tobacco. I smoke it on the front porch as the weather begins to chill and feel as though I am smoking nothing. For now this tin will go to cellar until the weather warms back up and I will revisit it then. Perhaps it will be better without the crisp morning air. If things change I will edit review accordingly. Perhaps it fares better in a warm indoor environment but this I cannot test. Have smoked 5 pipes giving it a fair chance and have come to the same conclusion each time. Too light.

I have had no problems with relights with this tobacco and it does burn all the way down to a nice ash. I have had no problems smoking it right from the tin as well with no need to air it out in order to dry it prior to smoking. The aroma is very pleasant and warm feeling.

This may be for you. It is just not for me. If you're thinking about trying it give it a shot as my taste may differ from yours. It is just much much to light of a smoke experience for my likings.

Happy smoking.

earl_of_cumberland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl_of_cumberland (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I absoulutley love this blend. It's a great afternoon smoke in a good pipe. The Tin scent is fantastic, you can really smell the cacao. Room note is very plesant, my wife and friends all enjoy when I smoke this blend since it smells so good.

Although it is a very mild blend I find the taste really nice and it is a no fuzz tobacco.

A sure favorite.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

EDIT - 17 July. I'm just totally retracting my original review in disgust, because I've now had altogether too much experience with this blend. Bear in mind now that this is coming from a guy who likes aromatics.

You see, I cannot get this stuff to not bite. Doesn't matter what size bowl, how careful I am with cadence or draw, packing it, lighting it, or drying it. The worst part is that it slow-roasts me to where I don't even realize just how bad it lit me up until the next morning. No matter how good it tastes or smells, this just ain't worth it. Not only will I never touch Smooth Sailing again, but anything Ashton is now totally off the table for me. What do you think of that, Ashton? Not recommended unless you have a masochistic bent.

albo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albo (8)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A little too light in that its like flavoured air, and I prefer a bit more oomph in a smoke, but what you get is very pleasant coconutty chocolate flavour. Certainly a good one for when you dont want full blown strength.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

picked up this blend after trying guilty pleasure and finding it to be okay. tried this in my new peterson irish sea and was blown away by how good it was. it tends to start off very sweet which may turn some people off but it mellows out very quickley and all in all is a plesent smoke. does not burn hot and burns down till almost nothing is left. i did have to tamp down several time to maintain the draw i like but its such a good blend i didnt mind defenately recommend this blend

LoKi6922 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoKi6922 (11)

I really like this Aromatic. I'm not usually an aro smoker, but Ashton has a price point I like, and comes in vacuum tins which I prefer to travel with pouches can get messy in your pockets, or in the glove box of your car.

The smell from the tin is just lovely. A cocoa with hints of maple. It's a little wet, so dry it for a few minutes before packing and you'll appreciate it more. I've found cased tobaccos have very little tobacco taste unless properly dried, or unless you buy a good Peterson like the Luxury Blend.

Initial bowl shocked me with how good it is. The room note is heavily chocolate and the sweeter flavours play on your tongue. Again, if dried properly the nice Cavendish they use comes into play.

This was my first Ashton, and the others will go into my cellar as well, if they are this good.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

This was one of the first Aromatics, in fact first tobaccos that I ever tried, it still remains one of my favorite aros. This blend smells wonderful out of the tin, with aromas of chocolate, vanilla and raisins. It has a pleasant taste, for some reason I was able to taste this one fairly well even after I moved on from aromatics to mostly smoking english and later virginias. The room note of this blend is also nice although not quite as great as you would expect from the tin aroma. This one is a solid american style aromatic, yet not to wet or goopy as others tend to be at times. I enjoyed this one enough to smoke through two tins which as one who mostly enjoys variety is more than I can say for most blends that I've smoked!

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)

The cut is definetly not broken flake - broad cut ribbon - yes. I am not a devotee of aromatics, but ocassionally like a flurry. I was not impressed and the combination of flavors was simply overpowering. A light casing or top note is one thing - this is something way over the top. It burned very quickly, but the ribbon cut did keep the smoke relatively cool. The melange of flavour additives didn't produce a stickey residue, which was surprising; however, while the flavours combined well together and were complimentary - there was absolutely no tobacco flavour whatsoever. The cut and flavour reminded me of Fox's 'Aromatic' (produced by K & K).

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I don't have much to add to the reviews below: smells great in the tin, very mild, drying helps, a quality aro that must be smoked slowly ("andante", as MAXYSDAD so aptly says) to get the subtle sweet flavor, otherwise it'll burn hot and flat, goes great with coffee.

I find the flavor pleasant, sweet but nondescript, but overall too mild. It does have a hint of a chemical agent at the finish.

Nice, but not special enough for me to get another tin. I can certainly see how it would have its fans, though.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

Really nice, sweet, tin note.

Burns well and gives faint tastes of cocoa and walnuts. Just not quite enough flavour for my taste buds but would be great for anyone who favours less robust flavours.

It's nice tobacco and I'll finish the tin, eventually. I guess I'll smoke it when I'm worn out by the stronger stuff.

To be fair to it I have to give Smooth Sailing three stars, as it is good at what it does but I don't know if I'll bother buying it again.

johnson430 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnson430 (7)
Very Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco smells incredible in the tin. WOW! But smooth sailing is too smooth for me and I have trouble finishing a bowl because the taste flattens out mid-way through the bowl. I can see why many have rated this highly though as it is a very smooth, mild and pleasant smoking experience but it leaves me wanting more.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)

I found that Smooth Sailing remided me of a lighter cased Sweet Kilarney from Peterson. The same tastes are there, only Smooth Sailing is milder and doesn't bite like Sweet Kilarny. All in all, this is a good blend for an aromatic smoker. I wouldn't recomend it for an all day smoke, but it is best kept in the rotation.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The name of the tobacco is spot on! It brought to mind thoughts of sitting aboard an old wooden sailing ship amidst calm seas. This is a thoroughly relaxing, enjoyable smoke that can be enjoyed anytime of day.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)

This tobacco has the best tin aroma I've ever come across - a complex blend of sweetened nuts, buttery maple and chocolate, with a modest coconut undertone. It really is something special; complemented by a visually arresting, colourful mix of lighter and darker tobaccos. The presentation is extremely nice, too, what with the inner paper being made to concertina itself around the tobacco, akin to a quality French cheese.

Here in the UK, it's price is upwards of £10, which puts it firmly into the pricier bracket for pre-packed weed. With their fancifully wrapped and golden, embossed tinned produce, Ashton-Taylor would appear to want to be seen as a serious choice for the discerning pipesman, and my first impressions were exceedingly appreciative of their efforts. Moreover, I don't actually find this an incredibly heavily cased tobacco, compared with many stock Cavendishes. The casing, whilst evident upon the fingers, isn't so rich as to destroy the natural flavour and the tobacco feels and looks light and generally airy - somewhat like a Dutch ribbon.

The first puff was a little anticlimactic and flat, and it undoubtedly burns quickly - and with a ferocious heat. It can quite easily become a devil in disguise, and if not tamed, you'll get a walloping dose of tongue bite. One would be best to take heed of those wise men on here who insist on smoking it S-L-O-W-L-Y and patiently. If this is done, then what could easily be cast off as a rough and insipid tobacco becomes deliciously mellow. Indeed, now you'll stand to appreciate the depth of flavour and that chocolatey maple caramel that you were initially promised on the tin. Likewise, the room note is light and sweet. I lit up in the presence of my mother and she immediately bee-lined for the tin, because she liked it's smell. The general consensus from the women of the house was chocolate.

All said and done, this is a really well made aromatic that will unfold its secrets with a little time, patience, and the art of subtlety.

Samurai Barry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Samurai Barry (6)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Opening the tin produced an aroma which I can only say was delightfully sweet and somewhat fruity, but not so fruity as to overwhelm the aroma of tobacco. It is a pleasant upper middle of the road aromatic which (unless you puff hard) does not bite. I noticed a nice smell of rich cappuccino, which may be taken by others as chocolate. Either way, it was delightful with the subtle hints of vanilla. Now here's the odd part, and I experienced it only once. About half way down the pipe I got a definite taste of peppermint! This was a nice refreshing blast, but it lasted only for a few seconds. I liked it. None of these delights overwhelmed the tobacco scent or flavor.

Daedalus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daedalus (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I picked up a tin from my local smoke shop, and when I got home and tried it, it was very harsh. I had to put the pipe down. It burned my nose. I thought that I can't let a can of tobacco waste so I tried a couple of days later with a old pipe that i had lying around and surprisingly it was a more nutty and woodys flavor than the punch in the face first time.

It turned from a beast to a beauty for the taste buds.

Xerxes -- The Pied Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xerxes -- The Pied Piper (4)

A nice mellow (mild!) composition this, is easily smoked morning, day or night.

Best smoked slowly letting the smoke hang just for a second in your mouth -- you may bake your tongue otherwise.

Quite (fairly) sweet, but definately not sickly in my opinion, might leave long term pipe smokers wanting a bit more "oomph" but it is pleasant nonetheless.

I find this is a good one to start the day, possibly watching the sunrise. Sat on a great chunk of granite, on the crest of a nice, forlorn (yet beautiful) crest. (Shame I live in a town, isn't it!)

sweetgrass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sweetgrass (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

this is a blend that says on the tin that it has flavors of maple, coconut, and dark chocolate. the aroma of dark chocolate and coconut are evident when the tin is first opened, but not upon lighting. Very colorful blend, that packs easy. The moisture content is minimal, and requires no drying out. The smoke is a cool dry one, but as with all aromatics, puff slowly or you'll slow-roast your tongue. This one is something that you'd think is way to sweet, or over-cased, but it definitely has a consistent tobacco taste that blends very nicely with the dark chocolate and maple-coconut topping. Burns to a nice salt and pepper ash, with no syrup or goop left in the boil. Great winter time blend, to enjoy with a cup of hot chocolate. Another winner for Ashton!!!!

maine pipe smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maine pipe smoker (1)

Smooth Sailing is just as its name implies a real smooth blend. with a nice taste of chocolate, maple and coconut this would be a nice smoke after a good meal or in the A.M with a nice cup of coffee. the room note is mellow so if your not into a strong aromatic you will love Smooth Sailing. I like to pack my pipe 20 to 30 minutes before i smoke it allowing the tobacco to de compress some and air to get to the tobacco witch will reduce bite, improve taste and provide a cooler smoke. enjoy happy sailing :)

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

If yoy really want tot taste chocolate, maple and coconut and I you also like a real tobacco taste try this one. Great when sipped very, very slowly. Goes together very well with a cup of good coffee. Recommended for those who think they don't like aromatics (any more).

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A very good and chocolatey European version of McClelland's Best of Show. If ou like that particular European aromatic agent found in most of that continent's blends this will be a nice change of pace. It is pleasant yet far too expensive for an aromatic. 3 of 4 European Aromatic Stars.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not into aros but I love this one! It has a smooth toping that awakens your palate! I have to say that the chocolate scent is not overpowering which I thing its a good thing! It burns cool and is a very relaxing smoke of high quality leaf! Sweet enough to accommodate a nice cap of black coffee! A just right aromatic for a change from my usual non-aromatic blends!

jeepmedic1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeepmedic1 (3)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

When I first opened this, I found it rather dry and flavorless. there was little room note, and I tried it in two of my lesser smoked briars. After a month, I noticed little change, but out of curiosity, I dropped a button into the tin with the leftovers and left it alone for a week. I was amazed at the improvement after a little humidifying. Sweet and fragrant, easy on the toungue, and mellow. I like it in the mornings with my coffee. A good day smoker in mixed company.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

A pleasant surprise. Cavendish and gold Virginia with vanilla taste and mild honey. It is a good quality aromatic tobacco without cheap wrappings. Initially it burns the tongue and I thought that this was a problem. However, when you smoke it calm, you realize, that doesn?t burn so much the bowl and the tongue. It needs a very good technique of calm smoking in order to enjoy the velvet taste, which is proposed by the constructor. Cavendish functions well. In order to taste better, it needs a bit of drying.

MAXYSDAD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAXYSDAD (9)

Take easy -take it slow -andante . andante- enjoy the smoke to flow- Or -It will bite your freaking head off ,magic to be unlocked for the pipe man whom has reached a state of (practised)calm whilst partaking of this pleasant weed .

zarteus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zarteus (10)

A pleasure to submit the first review of this little gem. It is a lovely high quality aromatic without a hint of soapyness or cheap casing. It burns HOT, at first I thought it was going to be a problem but then I viewed it as a chance to perfect my technique and it really paid off. So long as you can smoke this at the slowest possible rate (like slow enough to win the world's slowest smoker competition) then you will be rewarded with the mysterious and rich layers of velvety notes as suggested on the tin. The cavendish seems to work well with everything, the flake is a pleasing cut and as with many similar tobaccos, it probably benefits from a little drying out to get the best performance. Smooth Sailing burns surprisingly well, it's possible to finish the pipe from one or two lights and it doesn't smoke as wet as you might imagine. I'll certainly keep this one on the A list.