This glorious mixture of Cavendish, Virginia and Carolina Burley carries an irresistible aroma of vanilla, mango, and exotic citrus.

BrandAshton
2.3
indyf1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
indyf1 (17)
Mild Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

27MAY07 Update: The more I smoked this tobacco, the more I disliked it. Toward the end, it was like smoking cotton candy. Sickeningly sweet, hot and harsh. When the tin finally started to get down to the last couple of bowls, I poured the remaining dregs into my "All Sorts" container. Thankfully, that cut the overwhelming nastiness of this sticky smoking material.

10FEB07:Creme brulee -- that is what this blend tastes like. A delicious roasted vanilla flavor settles on the tongue, while thick, fragrant smoke fills the room. The topping is strong, but tasty nonetheless. Like a cigar, the bowl burns hotter and harsher as you go along, forcing you to smoke more slowly. Puffs late in the bowl are dense and blue. Not an every day tobacco, but a luxurious treat to enjoy with slippers on and snifter full.

While smoking this blend, I imagine I've retreated to my private den. It is winter, the room is dark, and the heat blows profusely through the register directly behind my leather wing back chair. My Golden Retriever is curled up at my feet, and my eyes glaze over as the room becomes smoky and mysterious.

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I had never tried this before, God knows why, but I finally picket up a tin at my local tobacconist's. I was not dissapointed. I like sweet aromatic tobaccos, and this is really my kind of tobacco. It is very similar, however, to W.O. Larsen's Simply Unique, which I always have load of at home, so it will probably take some time before I buy more. But I will definitely!

Tongue taste (the taste you feel on your tongue when you first get the smoke into your mouth): intensive but still softly sweet with tones of honey and sugar, with a slightly spicy undertone. Keeps the taste through the whole smoke (compared to Simply unique, which tends to loose its taste the last minutes).

Snork taste (the taste when you roll the smoke around in your mouth and out of your nostrils): mild, slightly sugary, almost like honey on toast.

All together: Takes a few puffs to develop its taste, but is sweet with slight spicy undertones. Just a perfect everyday blend for us who like aromatics.

EDIT about tongue burn: Interestingly enough, it seems like mainly americans get burned by this and other aromatics from European manufacturers. Could be due to smoking technique; like MacBarens, LArsens etc it has to be smoked slowly and peacefully, and it helps to pack a bit looser. Don't belch (and most of you who get burned DO belch, you are just not really aware of it).

Pipe Used: Jirsa, BBB, MM

Similar Blends: W.O. Larsen Simply Unique.

Parcarat Parcor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Parcarat Parcor (2)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

My review is based on the price and what it is supposed to taste like from the can.

The can cost about double from the "normal" pipe tobacco that are sold in your local supermarket but doesn't deliver on this price. It is said to taste vanilla, mango, and exotic citrus but I haven't gotten any of that taste from this tobacco. Perhaps I don¨t know how to smoke it or smoke it in a bad pipe or something of that nature but it just isn't there. I have once convinced myself that I can taste the mango but I really don't know if this is true or my imagination. It feels like I have some kind of oil in my mount after I have smoked this and I really don't want that. The scent it is given of when smoking is like that of cheap candy you find in the stores. Really not something you want to linger around.

I have had no problem with TB from this tobacco.

If this was half price it would be a decent one but I do expect more from something in this price range. Try it, but don't buy it is my recommendation.

NOTE: where I live you get a tin of Petersons Irish Flake for less then a can of Guilty Pleasure. Prices may wary where you live but I really can't see this beating any brand in the same price range.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (48)

Cool smoke, slight "acidic" fruity taste. Depends on one's mood really... Does not bite. Gets a tad bit bitter near the end of the bowl.

That's it...

oldsouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldsouth (9)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

For aromatic fans this might be your cup of tea. I just had to try it. I didn't care for it. The only Guilty Pleasure I derived was that I didn't pay any thing for it,what a comforting pleasure.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)

I liked this tobacco very well.I think that my sample was too dry,because this is the driest aromatic I have ever touched.I could taste the natural va flavor along with a sweet fruitiness that I really enjoyed.The only reason I cant give 4 stars is beceuse less then halfway through the bowl,the tobacco lost all flavor.I have never had a tobacco loose its flavor to that extent.It went totally bland.Maybe because my sample was too dry.This tobacco could make my top5 if it would keep its flavor for more than a few puffs.Almost reminds me of DAN aromatics.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Very Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Ashton uses good quality leaf but there must be something wrong with their blenders here!

It bites and it tastes bad!

Sorry Ashton, but I see no point puffing hot fragrant!

SactoSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SactoSmoker (4)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mango and citrus are not things I find should be in tobacco. The nutty flavor is great if you can get past the syrup of flavoring infused into this tobacco. I personally enjoy smoking bowls to ash but this leaves a nice gooey clump in your pipe that is a bit difficult to ash. I was told by a fellow at my local tobacco shop that this was comparable to W.O. Larsen Signature, and Dan's Davinci. Well it wasn't. It was more flavor than I wanted in an aromatic.

Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

European aromatics need to approached with caution. They tend to all taste more artificial than Captain Black cherry. the few exceptions are Dann Tobaccos and Karl Erik. This has a mango vanilla taste but is more like a very sweet artificial candy. It burned hot and left a bitter aftertaste. I tried to like it but I could not. You judge.

sherlockhomie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sherlockhomie (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my all-time favorite Ashton blend. I am a fairly new pipe smoker and would recommend this blend to anyone looking to get involved in pipe smoking. It is a mild taste and complete with sweet Mango and Citrus. I, however, could not taste the Vanilla. Overall excellent blend.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Awesome tobacco. Very heavily aromatic and smells wonderful. My first venture into Ashton and will not be my last.

No Bite. No harsh chemicals. Very genuine aromatic!

smoking pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking pipe (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

guilty pleasure is a wicked good tobacco. it didn't bite. it burned real nice. the taste was good.i would recomend this to a new piper.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (25)
Mild Very Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I bought this for the tin only. Then I smoked it and was pleasantly surprised. I stopped smoking fruity cased tobaccos a few years ago, so I wasn't looking for this type of this tobacco. I must say that it is the first time a tin (containing and aromatic blend) perfectly describes the contents inside. Sweet fruit overwhelms the senses followed by a creamy vanilla type flavor and aroma. Furthermore it did one other unexpected thing; it did not goop up like other aromatics. It burned a solid white ash all the way through. I was rather surprised by this blend. It's nice on a hot day with lemonade but it can be too much sometimes. Most definitely recommend for the candy tobacco lover.

Pipe Used: MM cob, Dr. Grabow lark

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: Peach Melba.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

If you've smoked Peterson's aromatics you'll recognize the style (and may experience Déjà vu).

This is very similar to Connoisseur's Choice (or Nutty Cut, or Gold Blend, or...). That's an observation not a criticism.

Sweet, lovely room note, tastes quite nice, but can get a little tedious towards the end of the tin.

In a tie break between this and Connoisseur's Choice; it'd be so close that I'd have to decide it by saying that Guilty Pleasure has slightly better tin art.

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I received this as a gift & the tin description had me dreading it. Citrus & mango in tobacco? I shouldn't have been concerned; it is actually a pleasant combination. Right out of the tin this is a very rich smelling, sticky looking tobacco. I thought it would be easy to over pack & a bear to keep light but it packs & burns w/o much difficulty. The aroma at light up was like that in the tin; a sweet liquor aroma. This had a nice sweet flavor thru the bowl w/ hints of citrus in the background. A completely different aromatic compared to the caramel sweetness of something like Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake. The previous reviewer who called it a dessert tobacco hit the nail on the head; a nice treat but not an everyday smoke. This didn't leave behind a lot of sticky dottle & tar like so many other aromatics. I don't remember any bite & the tobacco leaves a very clean aftertaste like a dry wine. While maybe not a guilty pleasure this was a pleasant surprise. I do think I will buy it in the future.

mackaydjames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mackaydjames (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Out of the tin... yummy, yummy yummy... I would surely suggest one pack this blend, if they end up taking a, "guilty pleasure" in it, in a pipe with a thick wall because it burns 200 hundred degrees hot... at least it seems. The flavoring of citrus-y fruit and vanilla and mango peeked it's boring head out about mid-smoke; mid-smoke was also the moment when I began my rash of chronic relights, for this blend gets difficult to keep on fire... I don't like this blend, I'll never even nightmare of ever buying it again and... I could easily give this leaf a thumb rating... EVEN IF I HAD NO HANDS. It does leave a sweet residual fragrance though.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A very different smoke. The tin has tons of sweet smells ozzing out of it but for me it stopped there. After the initial lite,I found like some of the other smokers that it burned very hot and was a handful to keep lit. I also will note that the room note/smoke seemed to dance off quite fast. Will be my last dance with this girl.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Like the last reviewer I agree ; this isn't a bad tobacco at all.

Ashton's aromatics aren't bad and they certainly aren't horrible. Yes, admittedly Gold Rush was tasteless, but the others are worth a try.

If you don't like aromatics then don't bother.

This one has a superb tin fragrance, probably one of the best I have had the good fortune to sample. It's really moist though and will need a bit of drying.

It's a swine to keep alight as a result of course and ends up burning real hot. There is some taste there, buts its relatively mild and doesn't hang around for long.

I've had no response to smoking this in the lounge so - somewhat surprisingly - it doesn't score as highly on room note as you'd expect.

A typical aromatic from Ashton's but whether it's memorable enough to warrant a further purchase I'd have to say probably not.

wx5nco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wx5nco (2)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This blend is certainly not for everyone, as you can see by the other reviewers. I personally like this blend and will purchase more. This aromatic has no tongue bite, which is nice for an aromatic. Those around me enjoyed the aroma and asked if I would keep smoking it. This blend is very mild, which I find to be refreshing at times.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

this had a sweet flavor more of mango and vanilla not a really citrus flavor there. burned very hot only purchased one tin. might buy another tin if the price is right to try again later on.

firefighter1426 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firefighter1426 (1)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Extremely sweet smelling from tin. Packs fair. Burns slow and relatively cool. Each flavor is present throughout the length of the burn. Very good desert smoke.

snuffysmiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snuffysmiff (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I inherited this from a friend who didn't like it. Well, I had never tasted an aromatic before, so I was quite prepared to fling it,too. In the tin it looked a bit syrupy and smelled really sweet. I left a fill out to dry a little, then packed up a clay because I thought the flavours might take over a briar. It did what it said on the tin. Puff by puff the different flavours put in an appearance, left, and reappeared. 40 minutes left me smiling, and I've repeated that experience of an evening several times. I'll compare it to having a dessert after a meal of beef or venison if you take something like SQUADRON LEADER as the meat! Sometimes you fancy it, and sometimes you don't.

dnfirestone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnfirestone (2)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

You know this blend is not as bad as all the aromatic haters say it is. Truth be told it's ok. It has a nice mango flavor although it does burn away quickly. Where everybody is wrong is that tobacco like this has a purpose. If you are a beginner a nice mild aromatic like this might suit you until your ready to try something a little more heady.

Adguru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adguru (20)

While it is not on my list of favorites, I am certainly glad that I have it. It's a burley blend with a good room note, I find in soft rather than harsh. Dependable, soft smoke when I don't want to think and analyze what I'm doing. Which is increasingly the case.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of the stranger blends I've tried. When I first opened the tin it smelled like a strong aromatic. But when I puffed it it's casing was not as potent/sickening as I was afraid it would be. A rich full flavour comes through. The Vanilla/Mango isn't actually the top note like so many aromatic blends, instead Ashton enabled the Virginia and Carolina Burleys to come through, not just as a "filler" for the other flavours. The Cavendish like in most blends is a sweet addition but not in an overly powering way(I'm a huge fan of Cavendish by the way). I did find that this blend is moist so a filtered pipe(Peterson type, or Kaywoodie Drinkless) will work well. Surprisingly this blend does not like large pipes, I found that out of my collection a small shell finish billiard was the best for flavour. NO or little tongue bite was noticed. I spent most of last night puffing bowl after bowl with no problem. You must sip this blend to decypher it thoroughly tho. It can burn a little hot if you don't puff slowly, and this will quickly turn nasty if you are not careful. Overall I was pleased with this blend. Also a nice blend to take on a walk with the dog as it burns slow.

Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Firstly let me say that I feel guilty and derive no pleasure from spending money on this garbage. I don't know what I was thinking purchasing this. It really is my fault for hoping that I'd like an aromatic such as this. It smelled nice and fruity in the tin, burned ok and thats the end of any positive notes for this. The volume of smoke was so-so, the flavor was non-existent, nothing, flat! The aroma was bitingly harsh and had no relationship to what it smelled like in the tin...shocker. After smoking just one bowl I threw the tin away and quickly cleaned my pipe hoping this will not taint the bowl too badly. Ashton makes fine cigars, but this example of pipe weed was greatly disappointing.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma...very nice. Moisture content was just about right out of the tin. Taste...flat & bland. Where is that great smelling topping taste? Where is that very pleasant room note that an aromatic should emit? Where is the sweet virginia and burley tobacco taste & strength? Smoked a large bowl and still felt the need for some Vitamin N. Didn't get much out of this stuff. The only other quality attributes this blend possesses, other than a pleasant tin aroma, is mildness & minimal tongue bite. I don't think quality tobacco was used in blending & feel the topping was simply essence rather than flavoring. Ashton would be well advised to improve on this blend. This tobacco is being judged on the basis of an aromatic blend only. That being said, GP IMHO, is worthy of no more than two **s.

uc_lonepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uc_lonepipe (6)

This was my first blend of tobacco that would be considered a quality product. My first impression was good, the flavors were intriguing as it burned, except to me it seemed that at a certain point it lost all the flavor and became bland. I waited for it to cool down a bit to see if it was the heat that made it lose its flavor and it seemed to me it was a factor because from that point to the end it became a pleasant smoke of varying elements.

I would recomend this flavor for someone who is just starting out as a way of testing the waters

hoped this helped it was my first review

Very Mild Very Strong Mild Very Strong

This is exactly as advertised...an interesting blend of vaniall and exotic fruit. In and of itself, the taste isn't that bad...however, there are a number of drawbacks.

After about half a bowl, the taste becomes sickenly sugary and its difficult to get through to the (I'd say this is to the mouth what too much birthday cake is to the stomach).

By the end of the bowl, the flavorings/casings seem to have all but burned away, leaving a very flat taste of bland tobacco. What's worse, is that by this point, things have probably become quite hot and moist so you're proabably facing a significant case of tongue bite.

As I said though, the taste by itself is quite pleasant, and the room note (while strong) is also very sweet and pleasant. In fairness, I smoked this from a rather large bowl. I would say that this might never be a "regular smoke" for a lot of people, but for those who love aromatics (particularly of the very sweet variety), its worth a try.

One recommendation though: I'd pack this into a smaller bowled pipe to avoid flavor burnoff and tongue bite...also, be sure to pay close attention to smoking this one quite slow.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

E'gads...... This is an awful aromatic reminicent of the vilest tined mixture of all time Dan Tobacco's "Blue Note". Don't throw your money away on this travisty unless your tastes lean towards sickeningly fruity and over sugared tobaccos....

Truly one of the worst tobaccos I've ever tried...

Yuck I say, preppy

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (26)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I speak only regarding my personal opinion here. You know, I'm a Peterson fan. Some of my friends managed to tempt me with this one (they say is similar to Sunset Breeze). So... with great effort, really, I managed to get some; and whatever effort I spend in this endeavor it was to much for what I get! I don't know, but I think that even a half price blend like Stanwell melange is many times better than this! The effort was to smoke the entire tin (kind of) with all method off aging/fill it/ dry it/pipe it... etc. before writing this. Well , almost every time at the end of the bowl I end up with something like caramel and fish bones in my mouth and a painful sensation in my chest. I'm sry, I don't recommend it and If you try some at least do it in some company because the room note is somehow pleasant for them, so do that for your companions at least! :))

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Similar Blends: nothing I can notice....