Black Cavendish is a rich superior blend of the finest double fermented dark and spicy tobaccos. Blended for the connoisseur. Finest Virginia tobaccos are double fermented to produce a rich, dark tobacco which combines perfectly with the amber tones of the Burley, Oriental, and Kentucky leaf. The result is a finely balanced blend with a luxurious slow burn and a full bodied and spicy bouquet.

BrandAmphora
Strength
Taste
Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)

Opening the pouch the tobacco is rightly moist and fluffy, not greasy at all, pouch smell reveals something like coffee, licorice, spices and a slight sweet-tart fruity note, plums perhaps. Unlike many aromatics, the taste is quite coherent with the smell: just little sweetness, almost a dry taste with hints of licorice and freshly roasted coffee. SRBC has a good body with spicy Orientals in the forefront, or so it seems, difficult to say because all tobaccos are harmoniously melded by the Cavendish processing, it smokes cool without stings and leaves the bowl clean.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This Black Cavendish mixture still is, to this day, a favorite. But as tpatriarche pointed out, this tobacco is extremely - if not impossible- to find in Canada nowadays. When it was available in every good convenience, grocery or tobacco store I used to smoke it regularly.

The licorice pouch aroma is outstanding and the taste of the tobacco, nevertheless, tends towards a robust, almost unsweetened tobacco which I find outstanding because the crowd is pleased and the smoker is really pleased. And this leaf smokes dry until the end and leaves a nice aroma in the pipe.

If it would still be available I would buy it on a regualr basis but I think it has been discontinued. Too bad, it is a shame.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have not been able to find this blend in Canada for years, but I remember it as the best of any major brand-name tobaccos I have tried. Compares favourably with many expensive custom-blend black Cavendishes. A smooth even smoke, with a strong but pleasant spicy aroma. Plenty of character, e.g. more character than E A Carey's black Cavendish blends.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (35)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is not only black cavendish but black and golden cavendish. The description isn’t correct: the contents are all cavendish tobaccos but to be more precise we must speak of black and golden cavendish. Unfortunately this tobacco is a cake, a “panettone”, full of chemical additives and sugar. It is sickly sweet, cloying, too sugary. It is a perfume and not a tobacco. A product of low quality, crummy, unsmokable. Tobacco ‘s taste doesn’t exist. Perhaps this commercial product is ok for aromatic tobacco lovers but it is unacceptable for natural tobacco lovers. I am really disappointed and my score (from 1 to 10) is 1 and only a star.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

With much respect to those who like this stuff (pipe smoking is all and truly about one's taste and that's why we love it so much), I think this might be the worst of Amphora products I puffed. Tough the smell on opening the pouch is really sweet and licorice/vanilla pleasantly full, that aroma doesn't transfer to the bowl. This might be a good thing for me, 'cause I'm not an ARO freak but I cannot even taste all the complexity there should be after reading the amount of different baccy listed on the pouch, from Burley to Oriental.

Plus that licorice/black tea aroma makes me crave for tea-time and butter cookies instead of having me puffing. Not that difficult to keep lit, not that sweet as it may seem from pouch aroma. Never finished my pouch and think I'll never buy it again; I'll cellar a couple of teabags and vanilla cookies instead.

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Among the Amphora blends, only Amphora Red is currently produced. Amphora Black was available in some European markets up until 3 to 5 years ago.

This blend had no close substitute. Rather than being wet "in the pouch" as most black cavendish blends are, it was dryish yet cool smoking. The room note was rich, redolent of licorice, the smoke abundant; the taste mildly sweet and spicy in a delightful and hard to describe way. This was an expensively made blend disguised as "drugstore tobacco." Worth a dedicated Charatan. Three stars at a minimum but now a part of history.

Update: 24 October 2011: Professional tobacconists in Germany, Switzerland, and UK had indicated an end of availability several years back and an end to production. Reviewer indicates that this mixture is still available in Italy so production information appears to be mistaken (I assume Italian dealers are not selling from old stock).

Darkmood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darkmood (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When you open the packet you can feel smell of liquorice, raisin and spices, it's very pleasant. Also the color which is very dark with some bright filament. You can feel the liquorice also in your mouth when you smoke it, taste is very smooth.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: 36

Purchased From: Nooli Tabacchi, Milan, Italy

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I believe Douwe Egberts does not manufacture this tobacco? And I do not think it is still available. Black Cavendish is one of a kind, delicious mixture. It has a beautiful chocolate and licorice aroma that is not heavy to the nose. When smoked, it tastes more on the spicy than the sweet side, but the room note, I was told, is sweet and, simply, out of this world. If BC was still available, I would purchase it regularly!

Similar Blends: I know no tobacco that is close to this one, it is, to me, a unique Black Cavendish mixture..

Roberto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roberto (2)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this tobacco because I had heard great things about it and smoke it with great pleasure. Hints of licorice very pronounced, my wife likes it because the room smells ............. GOOD.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

I love the Amphora Original Blend and this blend is a very tastey offering in its own right.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

The Black pouch Amphora with Black Cavendish is sold everywhere, in every tobacco shop even in the smallest town in italy, together with the green amphora (Rich Aroma), the red amphora (Full Aroma) and of course many others. It is cheap tobacco, around 8 euro for 50g, of very good quality as staed by everyone here already. I just wanted to correct the fact that these Amphora tobacco are sill manufactured and sill market leaders at least here. Being dutch stuff, I guess they are everywhere were they are distributed.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This will remain my favorite "drugstore" blend. The room note is a huge hit and the taste is spicy and sweet, the sweetness not being dominant.

The aroma is of licorice, proportion is 2/3 black CA and 1/3 VA. It is possible that there are Orientals because of the spicy sweetness.

Too bad I can't get it anymore!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

Starting from the point of the (obvious, IMHO) comparison to McB's Black Ambrosia:

- the pouch aroma is something different, more on the coffee/caramelized nuts thing than vanilla/nuts/dried fruit thing;

- the cut is also ribbon, medium-fine strips that are longer than BA. The colour is more contrasted.

The smoke is also something middle-of-the-road with the "regular" family of Danish/Dutch tobaccos. The scrumptious pouch aroma reflects on the smoke in a very much milder way than one may expect, and that's a good thing. But have to say also that - compared to BA - SRBC is a bit duller and seems going partially lost during the pipeful. It starts displaying its aromas and ends in the full regular field. I do agree with Beer in that the last part of the bowl leaves an ashy aftertaste and my throat is a bit "touched". Nevertheless SRBC smokes very even and dry and needs really minimal care. It's not hot nor bitey.

Bottom line: SRBC is a good quality tobacco, a bit stronger but - in my preference - a step below BA.

A note to Jon: reviews of Amphora's are splitted into the brands 1) Amphora and 2) Imperial Tobacco. As long as it's now, the brand should remain Amphora, Imperial Tobacco being the owner of the brand and Van Nelle (The Netherlands) the manufactures under license.

J.K. Gray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.K. Gray (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

the smell of licorice is almost overwhelming when opening but at the same time delightful. My grandfather would come to my house on sunday and this is what he smoked. So perhaps that is why I am Drawn to this tobacco it brings back fond memories. This is a good smoke when higher quality tobacco is unavailable. The room note is great, one of the few my wife will let me smoke inside, and it is available just about anywhere.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco from Amphora is a very well kept secret. I would add, a hidden treasure. Despite the fact that I retried it last year ( after quite a number of years) and found it too mild now for me, it was still a pleasure to smoke it.

Despite the unevenness in the blending - sometimes the tobacco in the pouch has a lot of Black cavendish and just a bit of golden and brown leaf,all rather of small cut, sometimes it's all long cut, the Black Cavendish being a minority- and despite the fact that I now smoke either Rattray's, G.L. Pease, McConnell, I find Amphora Black Cavendish is actually of half decent quality despite the fact that mostly, you will find it in drugstores or convenience stores rather than on serious tobacconists shelves.

This tobacco smells licorice like crazy, to the point that when I smoked it on a regular basis, I would take the pouch on a regular basis over the evening and fill my nose with the sweet, incredible smell of this blend. It was almost an obsession and my girlfriend of the time would not say anything, but look at me in a very weird way.

Here's the magic of this blend: it smells like licorice, people freak out over the room note - it is just fantastic, of course, I can't smell it like everybody that's not smoking a pipe, can, but the taste of the tobacco is not overwhelming in the aroma; it's actually more like tobacco than the flavouring.

The advantage is thus that Black Cavendish from Amphora doesn't really taste like the traditional aromatics, it smokes DRY despite the fact that it's an aromatic, and everybody LOVES the room note, even the worse, most radical or intolerant non-smokers will bend in front of Amphora Black Cavendish!

Hey, everybody's happy! If you do smoke the Big League's names like myself and do find Amphara Black Cavendish in a drugstore, grocery store, convenience store, you want to give it a try.

Valerio320 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valerio320 (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

A true classic in its range, this tobacco just satisfied me under every point of view. I remember one evening, when I had to re-load immediately my Peterson after finishing the first smoke; because I just didn't want this pleasure to end. Round, spicy (you can actually taste liquirice that you smell opening the pouch)it's an everyday's never boring and pleasant smoke. Very nice the little vanilla aftertaste.