A mild, high quality English blend

ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (9)

I purchased this tobacco on a whim from PipesandCigars,com in one of their English Sampler Bulk Tobacco Package (I was looking for something different, and rather than reading other’s reviews, I wanted to be surprised … i.e. kind of like going to a movie and not knowing anything about it except that it is a Mystery or Action movie). I am so glad that I made this purchase.

I must say that I am really intrigued by this tobacco. The name “Majestic” English seems like a tall order to fill or a presumptuous name … yet I became spellbound by this tobacco! It starts out relatively nice. The charring light is good and I was thinking this could be a regular in my rotation of English Blends.

When I hit the mid-bowl I was really enjoying the flavors that jumped out. I found that I was puffing at a faster pace just because it was so good! My pipe was becoming hot to the touch yet there was actually No Bite … just great flavors … some spicy notes and some depth that was really satisfying. There was also a unique mellow taste that just hangs on your tongue in a “good” way. By the end of the bowl, I was completely satisfied and began to wonder if I would replicate this experience (adding an additional pinch more on top of the dead ash and re-lighting was also good). My first bowl was in a Savinelli – Bing’s Favorite, so I tried it in a Mastro de Paja bent Rhodesian (same results) and today I tried it in a Stanwell HCA Calabash with a short stem (again same amazing results).

During my second bowl, I was waiting on my son in a parking lot and the pipe was so peaceful and so tranquil, I actually began to nod off in my truck … this has never happened to me while smoking … amazing. I wonder what a few years of cellaring would do for this blend.

I’d like to say that this is a “Perfect Smoke” but I can’t because it requires several re-lights (maybe it was a bit too damp from the pouch, however, there was no gurgle and I had a nice gray ash at the end).

If this isn’t a 4 of 4, I don’t know what would be. I rank this one up there with the likes of McClelland’s Starlit Night (a short run blend for PipesandCigars that I wish McClelland would make one of their regular offerings), Golden Leaf Tobacco’s Shipwreck, and McClelland’s Dark English bulk.

If you try this blend I hope you find the same satisfying results that I was able to find. Happy Smoke Trails!

Pipe Used: Bing's Favorite

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the Bulk Pouch

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The main problem with this bulk English is that (at least in my sample) there was a lot of humectant, which has no place in an English blend without topping. And there is no topping or casing here that I can detect. The other problem is that I think the older, Consolidated Medium or Full English (502 or 503) tastes a little better, with more contribution from the VA and orientals. Too bad those blends are getting hard to find.

Altadis is kind enough to ship my local pipe club a box of a different blend each month. Majestic English sure tasted similar to several other Altadis offerings. This one, however, is layered with more of that salty Latakia flavor that I tend to enjoy. Unlike many Latakia blends, this one packed a bit of nicotine punch. The cut is somewhat broad and required constant relighting. It did take some time to get to the bottom of the bowl, and aggressive puffers will probably appreciate this one.

Doc Waters Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Waters (5)

Easily the smoothest English I have smoked. Majestic English is an eloquent blend that produces a large volume of cool, tasty, silky smooth smoke, without bite, bitter aftertaste or sensory overload. How nice to enjoy these qualities without having to resort to an aromatic!

A very pleasant, middle-strength (in terms of Latakia) English blend. Unless you require much greater (or lesser) Lat in your English, or greater N in general, English-lovers should give this a try. Yes, a little too much on the damp-side, but this is an American-made blend sold in bulk; I wouldn't expect otherwise.

Precourt93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Precourt93 (8)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Very unusual experience for me. I love almost all of Altadis blends and they never give me problems. However, when i smoked this one, it had a pretty hard bite to it and it didn't make sense. Had several bowls and every time it kept happening even though its not that strong for me at all. I think i will cellar it and bring it out in a few years.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (63)

If you enjoy a mild to medium English blend with a constant, albeit light, Latakia presence, this is a tobacco worth your (smoking)time. A nicely balanced, fairly cool-smoking offering that would be a pleasurable addition to your tobacco rotation. One of Altadis' best, IMHO.

I bought this at Cup O' Joes within the last month or so. When I went back to their website it wasn't listed nor could I find it in a search. Another website in Texas lists it but I have never done business with them so I can't recommend them at this time. Here is their website address: http://www.westburysquare.com The review: A terrific light English blend. If you want a nice Virginia/Oriental/Latakia tobac that has a light touch of Latakia give this a try. It tastes a lot like Count Pulaski without the anise flavoring. Another big surprise from Altadis! Here's hoping Cup O' Joes puts this back in the inventory!