A combination of matured Burleys, Red Virginia, Turkish and a touch of Latakia. This blend will be mild and cool smoking with just a little spice. Definitely an all-day type of smoke.

BrandHearth & Home
Taste
Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

While I fail to grasp what burley fans find to be so captivating and unique about their weed, this tobacco has had me captivated since I first tried it, and burley is a major component here, I take it. I've waited so long to review this as I had to be certain what exactly I think I've been tasting. I'm still not sure, but I know I love it, and that's why I'm singing its praises now.

Complexity and balance like this makes the joy rather subtle, and I often forget that this an English hybrid. Nothing in particular stands out, not even the Latakia. Burns better than anything else I can recall.

Only seven reviews here and I find that astonishing. I could swear there were more reviews here when I selected this last spring.

If I was an all-day smoker, this would be the stuff, or Daybreak. Many might like this for what its not, rather than what it is, which is hard to identify and rarely distracting. Four full stars.

Pipe Used: cobs, meers, nothing in particular

Age When Smoked: purchased this last Spring

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: can't compare it to much except Daybreak, still it's no cigar..

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)

This is a very skillful use of burley in an English blend because I can't taste it at all, only sense it in the body. The entire blend has a kind of balance which makes it suitable for all day smoking. Much more complex than most of this genre too (burley and English), of which there are a lot of mediocre examples.

I would like it more if it had a nicotine kick, but I realize most people don't want this.

I have not smoked Blue Boar since the 80's and so my memory may be faulty. I claim this is close to Blue Boar, and I find it a great blend. I can taste the burley, and the latakia is there but does not overpower. There is a touch of sweet Viginia. This is a wonderful mix of flavors. While it is not my regular smoke, I find I keep it around and enjoy it. I have one pipe currently devoted to American Heritage, and it has a smallish bowl. I may try it in a larger bowl.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a very well-rounded, well-behaved blend. Some burley nuttiness with a nice richness and slight spiciness from the other components to make it complex enough to keep it interesting. Generous amounts of smoke with a clean finish. Pairs well with coffee. A great all-day smoke. I keep this one in regular rotation.

Pipe Used: briar, meerschaum, cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Similar Blends: H&H Daybreak.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

No fuss burley, latakia blend there's probably yellow virginia and very little perique, it comes ready to smoke out of the tin, this is probably what grandpa smoked when he had money to splurge in a expensive blend. definitely a must buy for burley connoisseurs.

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)

Looking for a summer time blend to take on fishing trips ? This will do just fine. I even added a bit of carter hall to it and let it sit in the jar for a while. An easy going anytime of day kind of smoke. Relax with the Missouri Meer country gentleman corn cob and drift along fishing from the canoe. p.s i had checked the wrong box for flavoring, it should read none detected

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Normally I approach a blend much like I did food when I was a chef, really breaking it down? not this one? the name really nails it & I treat it as such, heritage? I don?t like to over think it. Comfort blend, that is what this is for me, as Smoking Rob states, much like PA, I smoke this when I want to relax or just carve in my shop and don?t want a lot of ?stuff? going on with my pipe. However, this is not one-dimensional, not at all, it is subtle, but it has some good stuff in there? with a wonderful tasting Burley interacting brilliantly with Russ?s, always delicious, Red Va?. That is what I notice more than anything else, the Latakia and Orientals are like a seasoning to the basics to this blend and do so fantastically, almost like top-notes, but they are there, more so later in the bowl. This packs, lights and smokes effortlessly, is a beautiful blend all around. I have nothing negative to say about it at all. Four stars, hands-down for what it is? No I don?t smoke this every day, because I am more of a Balkan smoker, but when I want a Burley, I will smoke this 90% of the time and is the first Burley I have ever purchased more than 8oz of. It surprised me how much I liked this blend. Namaste? Robert

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

American Heritage is but one of an increasing collection of tobacco's from the blender Russ Oulette. While I have sampled quite a few of his blends and finding worth in all of them but one (Capitol stairs), this blend has got to be one of his best in that it doesn't try to shoot for the stars like some of the others, but remains true to its name, American Heritage. This for me means that you get a very nicely balanced, unprepossesing all day smoke where all the ingredients add up to great flavour and burning characteristics. I really like the inclusion of the cubed Burleys, very small and there is just enough latakia to give it its slightly smoky character.

It packs easily as well. I imagine it would appeal to the smoker who enjoys PA etc. but would love something with a little more flavour. Great stuff!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

This is cool burning medium strength American-English blend. The Turkish is very tasty and the Latakia is not overpowering. The first bowl tasted great and it went downhill from there. Subsequent bowls failed to keep me interested. I found this blend to be one dimensional with no nuances of flavor. It reminds me of a blend from the 70's called Brush Creek, but stronger. I'm reluctant to rate this blend three stars because I don't expect to order it again, but two stars seems insufficient. If 2.5 stars were an option, that's what I'd rate it.