Blend of Virginia and Kentucky. Slow burning and cool with a pleasant aroma.

BrandOgden
Taste

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoke both this and the flake St Bruno, i will always ask for the flake 1st, but i dont mind if this is the one i end up with, of all the OTC blends in the Uk St Bruno tops it for me

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (21)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

St Bruno can still be found sold in local shops in the UK, although not as widely these days as before, at least in London. I've noticed that my local Tesco (which used to sell both the ready rubbed and flake versions until around 2010) no longer stocks any pipe tobacco at all, and nor does the Sainsbury's nearby. My local newsagent stocked St Bruno and Condor for years, but no more. As recently as a couple of years ago, it was common to see three or four pipe tobacco brands sitting behind a supermarket tobbacco counter. Things have changed, and rather suddenly.

But yes, as others have mentioned, this is a superb tobacco. Less perfumey and nicotine-rich than Condor, it nonetheless provides an extremely satisfying smoke and never fails to interest with its rich and dark qualities, which are balanced nicely with an array of lighter fruity notes.

It's unfortunate that a pouch of this old favourite is no longer only a short walk away.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)

I tried this 14 months ago, when I came back to pipe-smoking after a long break, and wasn't very impressed then. I'm now trying it again, and find it very good. It's dry and smoky, with a hint of liquorice - which usually comes from Latakia, though this doesn't contain any. It seems to get stronger as the bowl progresses, though that may be because I'm smoking it as I type in a freestyle Dublin, and some people claim that Dublins, with their conical bowls, concentrate the flavour more and more as the smoke progresses. Some people have compared it to Condor Long Cut, and there is a similarity, though this is decidedly drier in taste. Very good - will become a regular OTC for me, along with Condor, though I'll stick with my online-bought favourites most of the time. Henwrench's review sums up my thoughts exactly - it's one to buy if I run out of online stuff.

[Edit] This stuff gets better with every smoke - I'm smoking it as I type in a meer, and I'd swear, if I didn't know, that it was a Latakia blend, and a pretty strong one at that. I'm a big Lat fan, so that's fine with me. It has definitely replaced Condor as my favourite OTC.

LimeyPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LimeyPipeSmoker (5)

I purchased a pouch of this out of pure interest after my father who has been a pipe smoker for many years told me it was one of his favourite tipples. It's a pleasant smoke: not too cool not too hot with a rather nice room note.

It comes in rather attractive curly strands and fills a bowl nicely, lighting took a while to really get going but after that it requires very few relights (if any)

I find this tobacco a nice alternative to some of my usual blends and it's very convenient due to the fact many places stock it. While not being something I'd go out of my way to buy and keep a reserve of, more something I'd buy when the mood takes me or I want something that smokes slow, coolish and convenient.

Overall: not too shabby.

Harry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As a young man, just leaving his teens, St. Bruno was the apex and quintessence of my first pipe smoking experiences. Together with Condor, Erinmore and Mellow Virginia, it was a staple of thousands across the land. And the TV adverts (yes, you could watch youthful men puffing away on their pipes accompanied by myriads of young ladies all admiring the unique aroma) only helped to reinforce the notion that a pipe was the way to go. Dutifully, I followed in its wake and S.B. was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried. 41 years later, it remains a joy to smoke, though latterly in flake form. Its unique taste, flavour and aroma still captivate me. The smell of unlit tobacco straight from the pouch, the feel of the shreds in the fingers and that heavy, sweet, fruity smell in my hands, still entice me on every occasion and I always get that wonderful anticipation that, each morning after waking up, I'm going to have a cracking first smoke of the day no matter what that day is going to bring. This might be described as a love affair with St. Bruno, and I think that you would probably be right. I smoke other tobaccos and there are some that I love mightily. I've had a tobacco renaissance of my own in the last twelve months and have bought and stored more blends than I ever did in the previous forty years of pipe smoking. But St. Bruno is the one I adore the most. Perhaps it is the memory of those youthful days as I remember fellow students or my tutors lighting up in college, the heavy, rich fug that descended in our seminar room when the tutor would fire up, great clouds of creamy smoke billowing like a volcano and as he deeply inhaled the stuff and with a flourish exhaled enthusiastically into the room. Nostalgia plays its part. For me, St. Bruno is comforting, dependable, engaging and utterly engrossing. Not until the cut shreds were increased in width in recent months did I contemplate giving up my beloved ready rubbed in favour of the flake. The smoke wasn't quite the same, the rubbing out (yes, I rubbed out the ready rubbed) proved to be hard work at keeping the tobacco in the bowl, lit and burning brightly and the taste just wasn't the same feel either. So, my years of plentiful delight have been tragically cut down and allegiances have been switched to the flake, an even better taste and enjoyment as I head for the fifth decade of my own particular pipe mania. There are many wonderful, encapsulating and quite enthralling tobaccos out there and I cannot wait to try some of them, but my simple, straightforward, adorable and faithful St. Bruno will be my daily companion throughout.

Pipe Used: Peterson, Falcon, Northern Briars, Neerup,

Age When Smoked: Fresh from a new pouch

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Similar Blends: St. Bruno Flake.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the pouch gives a very tangy smell of molasses and vinegar. Strong Kentucky presence. Heavily sauced.

The cut is actually coarse cut and not RR as it is mentionned. The stuff comes wet, and could benefit from a good drying session.

Upon charring, I am overwhelmed with a perfect combination (seriously) of Va/Ken, with exquisite floral overtones and smoky velvety undertones.

3 stars for me, as I really enjoy Lakeland tobaccos but on an irregular basis.

Pipe Used: Johs Churchwarden

Purchased From: Casa Havaneza, Lisbon

Similar Blends: Lakeland Floral Tobaccos.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (48)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable

I recently picked up a sealed pouch of this blend while on vacation in Spain. I was really excited to see it. I used to smoke the tinned flake version of this back in the early 90's. Remarkably, the taste is exactly as I remembered, it was like being thrown back in time. I can't believe this is no longer available in the USA, it should be, it's the single best OTC tobacco out there right now. Honestly, I'd wish they'd sell this in a tin like they used to, maybe the blend would get more respect. The taste is very unique—flowery is how I'd put it. It borders on being too strong for me, the nicotine content is on the high end, and I usually shy away from strong blends, but, this is one I'd like to keep around, if I could. It's a great smoke if you're looking for a change of pace. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Jeantet Fantasy

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: A Tobak in Barcelona, Spain

I was impressed. It was sweet, heavy and tart. The strength grew as the bowl progressed. I wanted another bowl when the first one was done. This is one of those "not readily available" tobaccos in the US, since you have to order it from Ireland I think. I enjoyed it a lot, and if you can get it locally, I recommend it.

Wince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wince (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

St Bruno.....my second over the counter blend.

I bought a 25g pouch from tesco supermarket as it was one of the first pipe baccys I had seen over the counter. On opening, you are greeted with a flowery scent and a good batch of I would say medium broken flakes. Moisture was just right and it packs well.

The taste is very nice if a little strong for my likening. There is a hint of floral and a buttery taste as well as the sweetness of the VA but not that sweet. It was soapy as well but not too much (Condor was soapier!) It lights well and rarely needed to be relit but it is a wet smoke as other have said. I also found that it was a fast smoke too.

Not one I will go to first but I will always keep a pouch handy. It does give a Vitamin N kick though and I recommend a full belly for this one. It also burned the bejeezus out of my nose when I exhaled, regardless of technique.

a 2 star tobacco for me with an added star for availability

Strong Very Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Unsurprisingly similar to the Flake, although the topping flavor is a bit more pronounced for me in this version. For further details, see my previous review for the Flake.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

St Bruno ready-rubbed's been around for a very long time. It's a classic example of an English pipe tobacco from before "English" meant "Latakia/Balkan". It's main competitor used to be (green pouched) Condor, and it seemed a general rule that if you liked one you really didn't like the other.

Now blended/produced by Orlik (I think) for Imperial Tobacco it seems to have survived the move to Scandanavia pretty well, with the basic blend, flavour and quality of the leaf used left alone.

It's clearly a Virginia/Kentucky blend, but the tobaccos are well cured and almost black. It's cut thicker than it used to be thanks to EU regulations, and as presented may need a bit of rubbing out (the old thinner cut rarely did). The burn rate may be a bit slower as a result, but it's still very forgiving about moisture level and doesn't seem loaded with humectants.

"Forgiving" might be the best overall description of St Bruno. There's hardly any bite, though it can burn a bit wet. It's not harsh and requires few relights. Perhaps worth mentioning that it's meant to be smoked old-fashioned British style without much if any drying out. Dried out too much it has less flavour, burns hotter and starts to bite.

In the pipe,as far as I can tell it tastes pretty much as it always did - medium in flavour, but with a quite sweet initially meaty fullness to it and a hint of spiciness. There's a hint of plummy fruitiness on first light, that disipates fairly quickly. Further down the bowl the Kentucky begins to make itself felt with a finish that's quite dry in tase and a little nutty.

There is a bit of flavouring, but it's a gentle, natural British style one intended to compliment the tobacco, rather than overwhelm the tobacco with something quite different like US or Danish-style aromatics. The topping/casing is nothing like the perfumey Lakeland "soap" floral one either, it's more a gentle deep fruity plum/raisin kind of thing. Doesn't ghost pipes either, at least as far as I can tell. It's the classic smell of British pipe smoking.

Overall, it's still a good tobacco and recommended, especially as it's often available at supermarkets in the UK. A classic of it's kind. Oh, and it's Tony Benn's regular tobacco and has been for many years which must say something.

By the way, the flake is very similar, but perhaps a bit stronger and with a bit more depth to it, but that might just be down to the different preparation. Certainly they were supposed to be the same tobacco, with the ready rubbed simply being pre-rubbed out for convenience.

jb1991 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jb1991 (4)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Some people say you either like St. Bruno or Condor as a strong and robust Over The Counter blend, I personally like both of them, the smell of the opened pouch is similar to that of Condor but less perfumy and floral, instead it had a hint of citrusy and fruity scents but it is still soapy, it seems to feel as if it has been cut finer as well, when I packed my pipe to the brim, I lit and then tamped and lit again, at first tasting, it had a lovely aroma and taste, sandalwood, hints of blueberry and lavender.

When I was done, I was left wanting more, kind of like the Condor, I'm not by any means a long time pipe smoker, but starting out with these two strong and heavy hitting tobaccos remind me of when I was 4 years old, sat at my Great Uncle's house, he used to love both St. Bruno and Condor and the smell of the tobaccos being smoked reminds me of that, he did used to smoke Dunhill's Nightcap and that is one I must soon try!

Overall, I like St. Bruno for that typical meaty English tobacco flavour, maybe St. Bruno is the patron saint of Pipe smokers haha!

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

One of the first over the counter baccies i tried when i first bought my Peterson rustic bent apple 33 system pipe with the moisture trap resevoir in the stem.

Basically St Bruno is a very peaty full bodied do it all smoke. I really like St Bruno because its a brand thats been around for as long as i can remember and i rememeber all the adverts in the cinema and tv as a kid,and its a brand you can guarantee to almost find anywhere.

Initially i had some difficulty getting to grips with this smoke because it is quite a wet smoke strait out of the pouch,over using my only pipe without any rotation which tarred my initial judgement,plus i was initially enamoured with the sweeter aromatics.But experience has changed my tastes and techniques and i have revisited these OTCs again of which some of them are as good as anything that is harder to find.

50g Pouch bought at sainsbury's supermarket and guaranteed to be available at any tobacco counter that actually sells any pipe tobacco at all.

Appearance in the pouch:Rubbed flake but distinctly different from the "St Bruno flake" version.

Buttery, slight sour fruit plum or apricot/dried fruit pouch note.

A slow and cool smoke,long lasting actually and no bite. Quite a buttery thick mouth feel with a slight "wrights" brand "coal tar soap" leathery taste factor which is pleasant.Soapy but not a kendal style lakeland essence as much,this tastes like its the tobacco rather than fortified.

Smokes well strait out of the pouch. Quite a moist tobacco and leaves a lot of tarry condensation in the moisture trap of my falcon pipe, and due to the large size hyperbowl i use to smoke this in the trap has to be wiped out a few times during the smoking session or drown.But:for its prone wetness in the heel during a smokeit takes light like a cooperative champ and it burns fine all the way down no problem.Its a cooperative smoke although a wettish one for a conventional briar maybe but in a falcon system the moisture trap takes care of wet heel syndrome and prevents bogged briar or bad odour ever occuring due to lack of pipe resting time. I actually like it more without drying because it produces a thicker smoother smoke.

More on taste:a buttery virginia brown/golden sugar taste,malt loaf earthyness-more of an earthy smoke than a smokey smoke. On top of the virginia is perhaps a mellow brown cavendish/sweet heavy kentucky here.Some sweet raw carrot-wet acrylic paint(in a nice way like when opening a fesh tin of wall emulsion that smells almost eddible). Very natural full tobacco's and not airy at all;here is a full dense delivery,very round and heavy creamy,slight treacle molasis factor,,faint nutmeg-ish spice of the kentucky.

Easily an alldayer of the stronger type-would go well with a cream tea chaser or coffee and bailey's irish cream liqueur. Room note is pleasant enough for me but revisiting the room later it can smell a bit leather shoeish and ammoniac. Gets stronger down the bowl and the kentucky kicks in more-The dried fruit factor is felt more than it is directly tasted and is more like eating dates than figs actually-yes;definately dried dates and rich also.The mouth feel at the bottom also tastes quite reminicent of cake mixture for rock cakes or cookie dough prior to baking like when liking the mixing spoon.Imagine date and walnut cake minus the actual walnuts for a date cake and you will get my drift.

According to that ogdens sales rep which everybody seems to know like the story of the never killing the albatros;i will try mixing this with 50/50 with "Gold Block" by the same brand.

Years ago @7-8 i thought this was a fairly mediocre smoke,but having tried it again in system pipes i can totally give it a 4 star,so easy to smoke i look forward to coming home from work and loading a fatty bowl of this.The fact that its easy available and a good as anything which is harder to aquire is worth an extra star itself. I am on my second recently purchased pouch and intend to keep some handy.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A good solid no-nonsense smoke. Nothing fancy (or particularly interesting), but that's not the point of this tobacco. I think it's even better since they changed the cut.

I requested the addition of the EA Carey UK match for St. Bruno Ready Rubbed to be placed in the data base - seemed to have glitched, however, so I am placing the review here and will correct accordingly.

I recently read in an online pipe smoking forum that EA Carey UK made a match for this tobacco. I found their web site and ordered a pouch (along with 3 other blends to be reviewed later). Not only was I able to order with a credit card, but I received my order in 10 days time. Simply first rate service! It came packaged in a 50g pouch that was labeled "Carey's Bruno Special." The pouch aroma was heavenly. There was the smell of maple, a hint of vanilla, an an undetermined fruit essence. It came as a Cavendish style mix - no sign of flakes rubbed out as found in the style of Mac Baren. I packed it in a cutty nose warmer that I use for new blends and it took to the match readily. Now I have to say that I have never had the original St. Bruno in any of its available forms, but if this is a true match, I have been missing something! This is no aromatic in the American sense. It is sweet tasting, although it may be a bit cloying for some as it was quite sweet. Although it managed to remind you that you were smoking tobacco and not candy, I would have preferred more in tobacco flavor and less of the sweetness. 3 P's is far superior in that respect. It is not floral or Lakeland-like in the pouch nor in the smoke. While discerning its sweetness/Virginia profile, I found it similar to Erinmore Flake without the Erinmore flavor (apricot and prune), but Erinmore retained more of its tobacco presence - a good thing for me. It smoked cool and dry to the heal without the slightest nip. It reminded me of Peterson's 3 P's (which happens to be a favorite of mine), not quite as strong in nicotine or tobacco flavor. In some ways, it reminded me of many Danish-style aromatics I used to smoke in my early days of pipe smoking that could be had from the Tinderbox and the likes., but way sweeter. I urge anyone that has wanted to try St. Bruno but has had difficulty locating some (USA especially), to visit EA Carey at eacarey.co.uk and go from there. They have blends that are not available from their American store, and not overly priced either. Although a lot sweeter than I would have liked, I am very satisfied with this tobacco and do recommend it.

UPDATE 2-1-12: This review has now been placed under Carey's Bruno Special

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Bought some on the line of thinking 'if all else fails, at least I can grab some of this stuff from practically any newsagents'. Was a bit scared, worried that it would taste and smell like dung. Or roadkill. Packed a bowl of my wee Dr Plumb Lightweight. Got her fired up easily enough. Sat and chugged away for 15 minutes. While I wouldn't smoke this all the time however it certainly gets a 'Somewhat Recommended' because 'if all else fails....'.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

St. Bruno Flake in ready rubbed version.

Just as fantastic - no really: OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark.

Streeton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Streeton (1)

I am in my 80's and have enjoyed St. Bruno for many years. Of late I have become more and more perplexed by the apparant speed that I get through my usual 25g packet, even though I light up less and less. One packet used to last me 10-14 days and is now used up in less than a week even though the bowl's interior is getting smaller all the time. Generally, I have 2 pipe half-fills per evening only. Before I change brands ( or give up smoking !)I should like to hear what the possible cause(s)of this rapid burn-up are, as I'm sure it cannot be anything to do with the weight of the tobacco. With the costs rising regularly and the tobacco dissapearing within a few minutes of lighting up, this situation cannot last !

Stephen Redrobe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stephen Redrobe (5)
Strong None Detected Full Unnoticeable

To paraphrase an earlier reviewer, In Britain the the smell of pipe smoke was synonymous with St. Bruno. Unfortunately, whatever essences that used to be added to it are no longer present. It still tastes pretty damn good though, and has a good helping of vitamin N. I prefer Condor however.

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, even smokers who are not lucky enough to live near a good high street tobacconist, can choose from a huge range of tobacco.

This is available from most cigarette retailers in supermarkets etc and is actually a lot nicer than I was expecting. I'd class this as a "no frills everyday smoke" with a nice solid flavour and pleasing smoke.

My one complaint. As pipe tobacco is not as widely smoked as it once was, I have no idea how long this pouch had been sitting on the shop shelf before I came alone and bought it. It was absolutely bone dry when I opened the packet. It wasn't too difficult to re-hydrate over a couple of days and I was able to smoke it.

Yogimu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yogimu (4)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice OTC tobacco I bought from Tesco in a 25g pouch. Wasn't expecting much but it has a pleasant, mild taste and makes for quite a relaxing smoke.

I'll be keeping a pouch of this handy for when I can't decide what type of tobacco I'm in the mood for.

Alim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alim (3)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

UPDATE (15/06/2011): St Bruno Flake has been changed so it's no longer super-fine but very much thicker (1.5mm). The new batches all come in this thickness. There is no marking on the packet to indicate the change or the reason for it. It's a different product now, and the flavour is a bit unevenly distributed throughout the tobacco. It rubs out to a substance just like the Ready Rubbed.

I usually smoke St Bruno Flake but this is being phased out in the UK because of new EU laws (pipe tobacco now has to have a minimum 1.5mm width), so I was forced to buy the Ready Rubbed as that's all the (supermarket) tobacconist had. The flavour of this one is not up to the St Bruno Flake, and it burns cooler and tastes milder. Having said that, it's perfectly acceptable and does have taste somewhat characteristic of St Bruno, and a reasonable amount of nicotine. However it's not worth really seeking out this ready-rubbed version as you won't get the famed St Bruno experience from it. The room note is fine but it has less subtleties in it that the Flake.

Interestingly, I didn't find it too moist to smoke right out of the packet. The Flake does benefit from being left out to dry a little, and improves a bit after a few months of being kept in a jar. This one probably is as good as it's going to get, straight out of the packet. I thought this one had a very slight vanilla note too (at first it did, then it vanished), so perhaps the mixture/formula has been changed slightly. Overall it's enjoyable and worth smoking, but I would prefer the flake again.

Even though it's ready-rubbed, it's somewhat gummed together sometimes and benefits from a little further rubbing. However the convenience of this is offset by the loss of the experience of rubbing the Flake, which becomes springy and fluffy due to its extremely thin cut. Although unlike the Flake, there will not be a dearth of crumbs near the bottom of the supply when it's running out.

Quite good, not at all bad and you could get a lot worse tobaccos than this. But the Flake has the edge over this one.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

A good everyday tobacco. The last time I was home in the UK I bought a 25g pouch - yes it's sold in that size of pouch too - and thoroughly enjoyed every bowlful. The fact that you can get it in almost any newsagent (drugstore) is a bonus too.

fatboy54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatboy54 (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

st bruno is the closest ive found since moving to the UK to my US fav of esoterica stonehaven... it does have enough nicotine to satisfy, but wish the room note was nicer, even when i've smoked up my bedroom and been down a while i'm kinda disappointed in room note

leathertongue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leathertongue (4)
Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Think truffles, coffee grounds, moist long-cut snuff, peaty loam -- I half-expected to find a tangle of earthworms at the bottom of the pouch... St. Bruno Ready-Rubbed is singular in appearance and taste, unlike any other pipe tobacco I've tried (the number is legion). Previous reviewers have accurately stated that St. Bruno contains Virginias and Burley--but I don't know what the hell else is in this stuff, which is positively greasy with either LA perique or a delicious sauce of 30-weight motor oil. Acrid, salty, and highly flammable, my first bowl, which I hadn't sufficiently compacted, burned like a cordite fuse. There is no identifiable aromatic (much obliged to Ogdens of Liverpool). Intoxicating, alternately malevolent and soft-hearted. Dark winter fruit character of prunes, dried persimmons, et al, reminiscent of McLelland's DARK STAR, Rattray's MARLIN FLAKE, and C & D's KAJUN KAKE, though lacking the sweetness of these three mixtures. Intensively stoved Virginias predominate the high and middle ranges, underscored by some fairly raunchy KY burleys. Not much depth here but a lotta flavor with a short, pleasing finish...Altogether Spek-Tackler. No longer imported from the UK into the states, I bought six 50 gram pouches duty-free in St. Maarten for $3 each. Wished I'd bought all they had on the island. This is not for every one, but the next time you go abroad I suggest you give St. Bruno a trial. If you don't like it, give it to the worms.

PSLion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PSLion (2)

This was the second OTC tobacco I tried. My house mate was the first person I'd seen smoke St. Bruno while I was playing around with various Kendal blends. His pouch was old, dry, and stank. This put me off trying it for a good many years. Sundays, however, have a trend of being the day I try new OTC tobaccos due to my local tobacconist being closed that day. My normal at the time OTC, Condor Original, was out of stock and only 50g pouches of St. Bruno remained on the shelf. I decided it was better to have something than walk away empty handed, so I took a chance and tried it.

I'm glad I did. I remember waiting for the punch in the face I'd come to expect from a new pouch of Condor Ready Rubbed, but it never came. Instead, I was led by the hand to a calm river in a small forest whereupon I was invited to relax for a while. This, of course, being a metaphor. There was no harshness, no bite, no rancid flavour, the tobacco wasn't too moist or too dry, and it certainly didn't try to attack me. Instead, it just filled my face with a polite, yet exceedingly pleasant, flavour that almost felt like it didn't want to be overbearing but at the same time it wanted me to experience -something-. I wasn't entirely sure what the something was, though. It certainly wasn't soap, and I was grateful for that. It's the only new tobacco I have enjoyed so much that I had a second bowl only a few minutes after finishing the first (with a different pipe, of course). St. Bruno is certainly a multi-pipe tobacco and unlike Condor Original Ready Rubbed, there should be no ghost of St. Bruno left in the pipe afterwards.

I still don't know what that special something is. I doubt I ever will. The journey to discover it is an enjoyable one, though, as St. Bruno has now become my any-time-every-day tobacco. There's enough strength to keep me satisfied, and pleasing enough to allow me to smoke it around half-a-dozen times a day at least, often more. Even my non-smoking house mates aren't offended by it, although the one who smoked it originally now rather smugly claims me got me in to it in the first place. I would recommend St. Bruno to others. Maybe not as a first tobacco, but certainly as an enjoyable regular smoke once you've found your feet or a fall-back if a favoured tobacco is not available.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I went to Vitoria elias_62 asked me to bring in - if you find – a pouch Why don't I get one for my shelf I thought. I had heard very good things from several people who have had the chance to smoke this blend of Kentucky and Virginia, from the time it was made by Ogden's of Liverpool, because now it is made in Madrid. Has excellent moisture even though it is in a pouch, easily fills the bowl, easily lit and kept alight easily without much effort. Maintains the characteristic flavor to the end, leaving a clean white ash. Strong nicotine. Unfortunately no longer placed in tin. Too bad cause I would easily buy 4-5 tins to store.

Stewiebob69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stewiebob69 (7)

I've not been smoking a pipe for very long so not a connosieur, but here goes.

Pack smell: a smokey, peaty smell. Reminds me of a peaty malt like Isle of Islay. Lacks the rich plum/fruit pudding fragrance of flake.

Flavour & Taste: Pleasant when smoked by sipping, and can taste the malty peatiness - very enjoyable, especially compared to Mellow Virginia. Not as rich as flake though - no fruitiness.Great with a glass of whisky to chill out with.

Room smell: Quite pleasant. I often smoke in the entry/utility room. So I return to the entry after smoking and check the after smell.

Professsor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professsor (1)
Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Note my cuppa tea as I am still on aromatics. Smell was odd for me, not a lot of taste. First OTC tobacco. Wasn't for me, prefer ones bought from specialist tobacconists.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

One of the best red Vas I had, along with Four Square medium Navy Cut.

Flavourful and sweet. A lot smoother than the flakes...

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Compared to the flake version, St. Bruno RR seems to me just a bit milder in the flavour dept.; I also find RR a tad "juicier".

A cool, "meaty" and satiating smoke: I'm just satisfied with it. For sure, it would be in my steady rotation if just were available in Italy... nevertheless, the flake wins the match!

Now: the so-called Ogden Mixture of old (Gold Block/St. Bruno 50/50). Very nice combination, indeed ! Gold Block properties smooth down the hints of soapiness of its big-brother and adds some sweetness/grassiness. Burns easy and cool, but needs a slow smoking pace to avoid tongue bite. The strength is toned down the right measure to make Ogden Mix perfect as all-day blend for whose liking a medium blend in the English Tradition.

Sorry for my off-topic, but I could not resist to tell just a word after Big-Chris-UK's interesting story (see Gold Block) and Dr. Dyson's

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)

I've been avoiding buying St Bruno ready rubbed but the other day I got a 25g pack, assuming that I was getting flake. I am very much with The Full English and Dr Dyson in the assessment of British cornershop/supermarket tobaccos, in that most of them I wouldn't go near with a bargepole, though I did like the flake of St Bruno, which brought a bit of a sigh of relief that there was something readily available should I find myself in some tricky spot short of something to smoke.

The ready rubbed seems to be just that - St Bruno flake rubbed out. It's not a ribbon cut or anything - it really looks and feels like flake that's been rubbed out, which counts for something. My pack didn't have any stems, was suitably moist and had the St Bruno smell, which I like. And I've found it to be a very accommodating smoke; easy to light, easy to pack, nice moisture content, nice taste and stays lit easily. So, these are the reasons why it's so popular and has maintained all these years. I'm grateful.

I don't find it anywhere near as strong as the flake though and that's a bit of a mystery but also quite a good thing as I found the flake to be overwhelming.

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)

This is one of the most common supermarket brands available in the UK. It is a reasonable strength tobacco which is easy and pleasant to smoke

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A top lakeland blend, very fruity and floral, a top quality pouch, nicer than Mellow Virginia and Condor which are along similar lines. Top, I can't wait to get my hands on the flake.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

This tobacco is (to my tastebuds, at least) a (slightly) poor relation to the flake variety. It is ostensibly the same as the flake but lacks a bit of the strength and (a tiny, tiny bit of the) taste.

It is still a very good tobacco and anyone who really hates rubbing out flakes will do well with this one. I smoke it when the flake is unavailable and I don't feel cheated but in a back to back comparison the flake just has the edge.

I don't know if it's because the tobacco stays fresher in a flake or if (Heaven forefend) the blenders take the opportunity to sneak something else into the ready rubbed or maybe it's psychosomatic.

Anyroad, this is a great tobacco which doesn't earn my top rating purely so that I can draw a distinction between it and my preferred version. Unfair? Possibly.

It's still a British institution.

You should still buy it, smoke it and love it.

cactusboy33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cactusboy33 (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A great over the counter blend that is an easy smoke. The finer cut of this makes it a slightly fast smoke but with gentler puffing will be a solid everyday tobacco.

Highly recommend as its a tasty blend that is cheap enough and easily accessible.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (28)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

mmmmmmm,ST BRUNO...yes....the second best pipe tobacco you can buy at the newsagent,i must say that i do like this pipe tobacco a great deal...burns well..and tastes very nice..a little to finely cut if you ask me,but having said that its easy to pack the pipe,never had any stalks in the tins/pouches that i bought..so maybe im lucky..i remember the tv ads...the young chap walking down the road with lots of young woman trailing behind him,it always made me laugh,but its an honest pipe tobacco and easy to get on with,if 'condor'was not on the shelve at the newsagent i would always buy a tin/pouch of ST BRUNO.yes..a good pipe tobacco.one to enjoy anytime...ok time for a review i think, after buying other brands of tobacco i came back to ST bruno wow..was i dissapointed the cut of the tobacco is now more like branch twigs and putting the tobacco in the pipe is not so easy now,its far to thickly cut (EU regs again) still smoked ok..but due to the thicker cut..its hard going..so i will not be buying this so much.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Much of what I said in my review of St Bruno Flake applies also to the ready rubbed version. It's a dark, predominantly Virginia, tobacco with a full-bodied, fruity fragrance in the pouch and a strong, pleasant and instantly recognisable room note. It packs, lights and burns well. After a bland start, the flavour fills out and remains uniform all the way down the bowl. Sip it, or it'll bite your tongue and you'll miss the depth of flavour; it's also fairly strong in terms of nicotine content. There is a distinctive fruity/nutty/woody taste that defies description; there's a casing of some sort, but I don't know what it is. I can't detect any appreciable difference between the flake and ready-rubbed versions; though the ready- rubbed burns more quickly and hence is inclined to be hotter. Perhaps the flake is also a wee bit tastier or more full-bodied; but there's not much in it.

St Bruno in either of its forms is a worthwhile and satisfying smoke, though perhaps not one for the beginner. I find, incidentally, that DGT is very rewarding with St Bruno. If you come back to a partially smoked bowl, you find that the casing has gone and you're getting a very full and rich pure Virginia flavour.

St Bruno (perhaps jointly with Three Nuns) is in my view the best of the everyday 'supermarket' tobaccos. If you don't have a specialist tobacconist nearby or just want to walk to the corner shop for some baccy, St Bruno (either flake or ready rubbed) is about as good as you can do. Because it is packaged in a plastic pouch that might have sat on a supermarket shelf for weeks, it can be pretty dry when you buy it; but this is a common problem: a nuisance, but easy enough to remedy, when all's said and done. Good value for money; recommended.

Update, 26 March 2014: St Bruno Ready Rubbed is now the only tobacco available in my local B & M. Even Condor and Gold Block have gone the journey; there is, I'm told, no demand for them, though cigarettes are as popular as ever. That St B should be the sole survivor in a market the bottom of which seems to have fallen out says a lot for its quality/popularity, I guess.

Pipe Used: Various billiards and bulldogs

Age When Smoked: Usually straight from the shop

Purchased From: Local corner shop; St Bruno is readily available everywhere in the UK

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)

I'm broken boned and spewing blood, marooned on an arctic ice shelf in my turtleneck sweater after tumbling from the precipice of a glacier. With an icicle stuck up my arse, and my right arm idly swinging from an ice-pick, some 150 metres above me, I'm buggered. I'd also die for one last smoke to ease the pain, but my left hand is severely frostbitten. Cue the music - and a dopey, great St. Bernard Dog upon the horizon, lolloping to my aid and wheezing under the sheer weight of the biggest slab of St. Bruno RR you've never commercially seen. Evidently, it's been via the airport and had the sense to afford me some timely duty-free.

"Cancel the chopper. Paws or no paws, get that pipe filled and spark up!"

At least that's how the UK St. Bruno ads of the 80s would have us believe it, when I was a youngster... More or less. Nowadays, you have to walk to the newsagents and pay for the privilege. Meh.

Those were my overriding memories of St. Bruno, until the day I mistakenly bought flake to make rolling ciggies as a student. Now, as a pipe smoker, I procured a small pouch of RR to readdress the balance. Evidently, I wanted to hate it, not simply because of the my aforementioned naivety, but rather more because it's a commercial smoke in the UK, available in any two-bit local shop (sadly, we don't do drugstore blends in drugstores in England). And commercialized things, as I have attested to in the past (see my 'Clan' review), are objects of derision; to be avoided, in my experience.

However, unlike 'Clan', it's commercial shelf neighbour, aside of Condor, this is actually a rather pleasant smoke, if not the most exciting. It's pouch note seems to be a lot stronger than the smoke, with a 'meaty' (almost seasoned steak), robust body, moderate sourness, and the faintest hint of dried fruit sweetness. I certainly don't sense any of the soapiness that some have mentioned. It's thinly rubbed, compared to many, yet yields a decent moisture content. I didn't get the large helping of tobacco stem that some did in my 25g pouch.

First impressions are indicative of a strong tobacco, but St. Bruno is far from it; smooth and bite-less, with a mere hint of added flavouring, that I can't quite place. In smoking quality and coolness, it's akin to McQuaid Plug, albeit without the generous depth of flavour.

For me, it went some way to prove that I can walk down the road and buy generally good tobacco, without having to mail order from the internet, or travel to a bigger city. It's a middle-of-the-road, inoffensive smoke, with reasonable characteristics. It tastes ok, burns well after the first charring, and will see you through the whole day.

The "Patron Saint of Pipe Smokers" slogan from the 80s, seems to have been replaced with "A Pipe's Best Friend". I can't help wondering if that's largely to do with the evident inoffensiveness of this blend. Would I smoke it again? As a back- up option, when I'm clean out of everything better, yes. Would I recommend it to you? Yes. Is it the best commercially available pipe tobacco? I would think so.

For the record, the St. Bernard on the pack still looks under the weather. Perhaps that's due to the death of the high street tobacconist that we should all lament.

This is based on one 50 gram packet which was gifted to me. I'm going to have to figure out a way to find more of this stuff!

St Bruno absolutely cracks me up! My pouch had more stems in it than I've ever seen in any tobacco blend. One stem was as long as the shank on one of my pipes! That concerns me with respect to quality control, but honestly, the real test of a tobacco is how it pleases the smoker. And St Bruno delivered time and time again. I finished the packet in record time (STUPID, since I don't know where the next one is coming from!) and enjoyed each puff. I would call this a medium bodied tobacco with a very robust but not overpowering flavor. I love full flavored tobaccos that burst on the tongue, yet do not bite. This tobacco reminds me of a porterhouse steak!

I used to smoke this in flake form back when it was available in the U.S and I probably would have preferred the flake, but this ready rubbed version smokes nothing short of wonderfully. I wouldn't call it overly complex as it doesn't seem to develop down the bowl. But if you're a fan of instant gratification and an entire bowlful of wonderful flavor that doesn't change, this is something to try. I found the flavor of this absolutely compelling and I am now conniving to figure out how to get more in this country. Great stuff!

Xerxes -- The Pied Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xerxes -- The Pied Piper (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I remember the first time I smoked this stuff, I bought a pouch of the ready rubbed from my local Tesco, I opened the pouch and instantly thought "This is going to be good." I actually said to my girlfriend "I'm gonna love this, just you wait and see."

I tried it first in an broken old corncob (I foiled the base and lit up) it lights well in any pipe, regardless of shape, size or style.

It is of medium to high strength nicotine wise, best after dinner or lunch, or a even a biggish breakfast, you could smoke this anytime of the day (I often do) a regular in my tobacco drawers.

It's mild, deep and vaguely enchanting, I often throw a pinch of Gold Block onto the top or bottom of the pipe. Why you ask? The transition from one to the other is incredible, simply divine. I found this out by accident, I wanted a full bowl, but hadn't enough GB or St. Bruno. So I shoved them both in there, layer after layer, rather than a straight mix.

If you have GB on top you will taste the (very) mild flavours before your tongue is used to the overall more powerful St. Bruno.

Highly recommended, available almost everywhere -- as is the flake which I haven't tried.. yet.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

A good all day tobacco, unfortunately not available anywhere. I am really fond of it. As of June 2011, apparently, it's getting difficult to obtain even in Spain, where I used to find it.

troutmask Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troutmask (5)

Get the flake if you can, otherwise this will usually be the best tobacco you can buy in your local newsagents or supermarket.

Iron Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Iron Pipe (6)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I find this brand very confusing. Why is a pouch of St. Bruno adorned with a picture of a St Bernard? Why isn't this called St. Bernard? Maybe it was named in honour of the actual St. Bruno, but I am not sure if this tobacco has anything to do with refusing bishoprics, founding the Carthusian order or advising Pope Urban II. Such thoughts overly occupy me during the unslept wee hours.

Religious and dog breed issues aside, this is a seriously good all day smoke and definately the best supermarket brand. It tastes all natural, good nicotine level with absolutely no bite. It may sit next to the Gold Block in the rack in my local Tesco's and cannot match it's gold, Elvis style jump suit but the St Bruno wins hands down.

In an age where it would professional suicide for any company executive to commit the dual crime of firstly naming one of mankind's biggest causes of cancer after an eleventh century Catholic saint while also getting a photo of the wrong dog is refreshing and satisfying, just like the tobacco.

Cool smoke, burns slowly, well recommended.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This was one of the first blends I ever smoked and it was love at first sight. I always have a pouch near, even if I only smoke it once or twice a week... (and I usually smoke 2-3 bowls a day.)That means it takes me about 4 months to finish a 50g. pouch... in a ziplock bag this tobacco holds on pretty well.

If you intend to smoke it often I recommend you dedicate a briar to it, as it may leave some ghost in your VA pipes. St. Bruno is not as neutral in taste as most virginias are. However, it is very hard to describe the taste... you must try it and acknowledge it by yourself. It looks a bit strange in the pouch, cutted almost like bird seed, easy to fill and light. Burns cool and to the bottom. The first puffs taste zesty and lemonesh, then it developes to an easy on the palate smoke, medium/strong in nic. Flavour is quite unique when comparing it to other virginias... Kentucky gives it a perfect round body.

St. Bruno is consistent, satisfaying, and widely available in Europe. In fact, it is (IMO) the best available blend in european common drugstores, competing with MacBaren's Scottish Mixture and Virginia nº1.

The oldest in my rotation and, even if others are smoked more often, a keeper. A serious smoker will find it honest and satisfying, no doubt. It is also great as a tasty palate cleaner, if smoked between english blends.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

When I first got this as a gift from Pipestud, my first, unkind, thought was "He sent me poop in a pouch! And Saint Bernard poop, at that!"....followed by a litany of expletives in four languages and a few I made up as I went along.

That's what I get for thinking. This is some good weed. I don't normally care for flavored/cased tobaccos. They usually strike me as a feeble attempt to disguise inferior tobacco. Not so with St. Bruno RR. Top shelf ingredients perfectly enhanced with a nuanced flavoring, probably of extraterrestrial origin...but of the organic, free-range variety, of course. What ever it is, it is damn tasty! Great nicotine delivery, no bite, no (expletive deleted).

Only reason I gave three stars instead of four is that I can't readily replace this without updating my passport.

ROMMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROMMER (17)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

An Excellent all around tobacco. Something like the consistency of Gold Block but with a strong and fruity flavour. A great nicotine kick makes this one a hit. Very easy to smoke without the artificial taste of similar types like condor.

A**

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (20)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This is my fave of the easily available brands. It's a very dark tobacco and seems to keep moist and pliable far longer than most of the other common makes. I find it smokes well and the taste is delicious.

NOTE: I have now been smoking a pipe for some six months and have tried numerous brands by mail order and from the supermarket. I must say from the easily available brands this is always my first choice. A brilliant tasty tobacco.

I am now in my second year of pipe smoking and I still enjoy this tobacco - it's rich taste certainly pleases me and I find its aroma delicious. Highly thought of by me.

And a year later this is still a fave for me. Though I must be honest and say that these days the tobacco seems a little moist and is best dried in the pipe for an hour before smoking. When you get it going the flavours and truly inspiring and long lasting.

Pipe Used: Big Ben

Purchased From: ASDA (Walmasrt gr

Similar Blends: ENGLISH BLEND.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco has been around for decades in the UK. Kind of thing you find an empty rusty tin of in your grandad's garage - full of nails or something. As such I was wary of giving it a try, thinking it would be far too strong for me and would be far more suitable for an old guy who used to smoke Senior Service cigarettes.

I was pleasantly surprised. This tobacco packs easily and well and gives a nice satisfying smoke. Quite smooth unless you puff really hard. Room note is nothing to write home about being a plain Virginia. This is a good choice for an ex-cigarette smoker as it has a familiar British tobacco taste and has a good nicotine kick to boot.

Recommended.

UPDATE (Jan 08)- I recently ran out of tobacco one weekend and needed to buy something readily available. I decided on this one and was glad I did as it rekindled my interest in straight virginias. A good smoke with plenty of flavour and no bite. Some reviews comment on the nicotine strength. I find it OK even as an all day smoke - whereas I found Old Gowrie to be a fair bit stronger.

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This had been my staple for the last couple of years, before I bestirred myself to make the effort and look round the net for a greater variety than the very few proprietary brands on offer at most street outlets in the UK.

As I wait for a tin of J.J. Fox's Dorisco mixture to arrive (hopefully tomorrow), I am smoking St Bruno. The old rich, mellow, distinct flavour of this mix, perhaps the most up-front and distinctive flavour of any tobacco, is very evident, and very pleasing. If there is just one tobacco to be labelled 'pipe tobacco', then surely this is it, for the aroma is so strong, so pleasant, so deep, so well-known. Yet the note 'sounded', so to speak, becomes monotonous after a while, like that of any proprietary brand, though this to my mind is undoubtedly the best of that breed.

St Bruno lights extremely easily, burns evenly and slowly. I have never found any harshness taint the deep flavour which I experience. The tobacco mixes well with some others, and somewhere on this forum (maybe this thread), someone noted that, many years ago, a travelling tobacco salesman said that a 50/50 mix of St Bruno and Golden Virginia produced, in his opinion, just about the best pipe-smoking experience. I've tried that mix, and it ain't half bad (note to U.S. readers: that means it is very good). However, I still prefer St Bruno on its own.

It's nice to be smoking a pipeful of my old staple. It's always very satisfying. However, I have moved on, and other smoking experiences are the ones that now rock my boat. However, as top dog in the proprietaries, old faithful St Bruno deserves 4 stars.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

having now smoked st. bruno flake as well as ready rubbed back to back, i must say that though the difference is not huge, it's enough to make them two rather different tobaccos.

pouch aroma: "soap", and some smokyness from the fire cured. not much raisin or other typical fermented virginia smell. perhaps a hint of vanilla.

it packs and lights easily, as is to be expected from a rr tobacco. the taste is rather flat compared to the flake version. i really miss the berry-like sweetness of aged/stoved virginias which is quite evident in the flake version, and all i seem to be left with is the kentucky - plus, it seems, vanilla and some burley harshness. i cannot for the life of me find much trace of the red virginia reported by others, though i guess it must be there, somehow. this one actually comes a lot closer to an old sweedish classic, "greve hamiltons blandning".

not a bad tobacco, but nowhere near the complex beauty of the flake, really

can the two versions really be made from the same raw tobaccos? is the difference simply a result of the different cuts? personally, i'd doubt it.

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (12)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A strong, rich- flavored tobacco. The room note is assertive and bold, yet pleasant. It smells like "real" tobacco (no artificial scents). The tobacco flavor "bursts in our mouth".

It has a strong nicotine content, and smoking a bowl in a small (Group 3) pipe made me feel woozy.

But it leaves you with a pleasant feeling and you're looking forward to the next bowl.

I can't smoke more than a bowl of this a day, though, because of its strength.

An end-of-the-day, after dinner smoke for me.

Totally satisfying!

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got me hands on a five pack of this (pouches) at Gatwick airport in England. When I got home, I sent one pouch off to a friend who I knew enjoyed it, and rather quickly smoked the rest with my Dad. Now, my father doesn't normally like really strong smokes (and for him this was Really strong) but he liked the taste so much he couldn't help himself...

It's similar in flavor to Royal Yacht, but much better. I also think it's stronger in the nicotine dept. Burns cool, loads and smokes great....guess I'm off to England to get some more!!

Elcid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elcid (16)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Honest tobacco taste from a pouch. Yep. I enjoyed St. Bruno RR. Packs a moderate nicotine punch. The casing flavor wasn't what I expected, based on the other reviews. It wasn't noticeable IME. Packs and lights fine, even when a little moist. Two full cheers.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Now, this bakkie has nothing in common with his evil brother, the sadly renowned vilain Flake!

I got this tobacco available in a pouch, very conservative looking, cream coloured with some red and black writing, if I recall.

This is a Red VA based ready-rubbed mixture, so it comes in the form of a broken flake. The aroma is typical of the red VA, slightly grassy, almost a bit sour, but doesn't taste sour at all. The leaf was a very predominantly red shaded leaf.

This baby smokes well, rather slowly, and its strength increases as you go; the taste was that of a straightforward, good red VA, so more powerful than a regular VA. I've enjoyed it, but not to the point of smoking it on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I've heard it is no longer available in America, now. I guess those who tried the Flake first got scared!

Next time I go to Europe, I'll see if they still have it; I'd buy a tin or a pouch for old times' sake...

A good bakkie; recommended.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A simple relaxing smoke and one of the most reliable 'supermarket' blends.

This is much milder than the flake version, though it packs much more easily than its chunky sister. Thus making it better suited to an elevenses smoke: Being rather light but with a strong enough nicotine hit to keep you going until lunch. The maple and sugar casing does dull it a little, though removes any possibility of being bitten.

In the pouch it has a clear fruity scent with lemon curd notes, though this is not transferred to your mouth when smoked (unlike St. Bruno Flake). But then, this deceptive nature runs through most of the pressed Virginians.

This is not a blend that you can get lost in but that's not something that you really want in the middle of the day.

A pleasant step up from EMP at breakfast.

tockus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tockus (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I remember my grandfather smoking this in the 1940's, and the aroma still remains. I have tried different tobaccos in a pipe since then, but always come back to St.Bruno. A good nicotine hit, but a mild tasting and pleasant smoke with no tongue burn and various aromas which seem to be appreciated by non-smokers in a room. Similar, but less heavy than Condor Original which can be too much for smoker and non-smoker alike. This must be a four star rating, from so many tobaccos, and easily obtainable in the U.K.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

St Bruno Flake was a staple smoke for me until export to Canada was halted a few years ago. Since then I have smoked the pouches of RR I stockpiled regularly but conservatively. It is remarkably similar to the Flake offering, albeit slightly less strong. Nothing satisfies like St Bruno and it is a pity it can now only be purchased in Europe. I will continue to keep it on hand until the law dictates other wise. When that happens, I shall purchase the recipe from Imperial, move to China and smoke in peace.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It has been stated that the ready rubbed and the flake version would be similar. I'm not sure about that. 50g pouches mention odgen's of liverpool and a local adress near Antwerp, so maybe I could be smoking an export product and not the real (UK) thing (?).

St Bruno RR is a rather finely rubbed dark brown tobacco. I believe it is essentialy matured VA and I detect no casing. No citrussy bergamot, no soapyness, none of that stuff, just straight tobacco. In my experience it comes a bit too moist for ideal results. It is better when dried out a little. The moistness may result in a steamy smoke and a tendency for the tobacco to become compact and clog. In ideal (moisture) conditions, this is a nice cool smoking, non-gurgling, non-biting smoke. I don't remember to ever have been bitten, even when smoking steamier pipes. The taste is very mild and sublte, and it is best to allocate a pipe only to st Bruno because the mild taste can quickly be overpowered by ghoshts of previous smokes. The taste stays in the natural tobacco woody/nutty register and has a bitter quality. Not the obnoxious bitternes that makes for the bad name of burley - more the "good bitterness" sought after in beer- the association with guinnes comes spontaneously to mind. The sidestream smoke is agreable and the room note is sweeter than the smoke and not too offensive. St Bruno is strong in the nicotine dept. but remains civilized.

I realy like this tobacco and it is in my regular rotation; I hope that the flake will available (again) in the near future. Highly Recommended.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The original Ogden's St. Bruno Ready Rubbed that came in a 50g tin was one of the finest tobaccos ever produced (IMO, of course.) I hoarded a dozen tins a couple of years ago from a private seller and unfortunately, they have all been consumed.

I have purchased and smoked the pouch version that is readily obtainable in England, and while the taste is similar, the current version is not nearly as elegant as the old, tinned St. Bruno Ready Rubbed.

I found the current version to be tasty, yet lacking in refinement. It is in ribbon form and packs and lights easily. It is somewhat powerful in the nicotine department and the taste is of quality Virginia leaf that has been cased lightly.

The no longer produced tinned version was more of a shag cut with a deeper, darker Virginia flavor that was loaded with nicotine and the casing caused the blend to smell and taste of hints of fermented raisins.

If you want to sample a quality, cased Virginia that packs enough wallop to keep the kids away, I can easily recommend this blend. If you are fortunate enough to locate a sealed Ogden's 50g tin, please forward it on to your friendly neighborhood Pipestud.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is perhaps one of the most popular tobaccos in Great Britain. It may be similar to the flake version, but I believe the ready rubbed edition is milder. You can get this tobacco almost at any newspaper agent and convenience shop.

Easy to pack and light, it does have a certain industrial flavour (unfortunately common to many Imperial Tobacco blends), but it burns pretty well. Essentially a Virginia & Burley (Kentucky) blend, it is easy to smoke, with a rather subdued and dull sweetness (nothing artificial, mind you). Not a bad nose, it doesn't really bother those around you. Mild to medium, it is a rather uneventful smoke, but other wise quite agreeable and reliable. Someone once told me "This is what grandfathers smoke by the chimney, in winter evenings".

Not a bad choice.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Funny thing - when I got into pipe smoking I bought a packet of this, had a quick smoke of it and then thought, well there is a wasted tenner. I threw it into the bottom of the drawer and forgot about it.

6 months later I find it and out of curiosity opened the packet to find that it was still in very good nick, not dried out at all. I loaded my pipe and smoked it and since then I've had bowl after bowl of the stuff.

I don't know why I initially didn't like it - perhaps because I wasn't any good at smoking a pipe, but this stuff is as close to perfect as you could get. Plenty of flavour, but not too much, making this a very dependable everyday smoke. Very earthy taste, another reviewer likened it to malt loaf which I agree with. A little flowery without taking away from the tobacco, burns cool and slow.

This is perfection. Sheer perfection. The only downside for me is that it doesn't have that unique aura to it: it is well known, not esoteric. But so what? It deserves its popularity! WOW!

Pipe Used: estate billiard pipe

Purchased From: Some godforsaken supermarket

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I remember this one well thought i had reviewed it but turns out i hadnt. I dont want to bash this too much but its not a patch on its flake big brother.

I know this blend has been around donleys years and has it devotees and thats fine. We all deserve a firm favourite.

But to me and this is only my oppinion. The ready rubbed is inferior to the flake. When i tried the ready rubbed it needed further rubbing out and was a pain to keep lit.

Dont get me wrong i know the ready rubbed has its fans and good on them, but to me it just doesnt open the door for me.

Try it see what you think you might find its a better smoke than i did. If you dont try the flake version it is a fantastic smoke.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I find this a lovely tasty tobacco and it always satisfies .It has a lovely and distinct flavour to it which is very pleasing .You can taste the Virginias and Kentucky which is complimented by a floral overtone . It burns very even and not too hot and does not require many re-lights . I like to ignore the snobbish comments about it being "COMMON" in the U.K as I find that if something is "COMMON" then usually it is because it is good as this clearly is !!

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Supermarket

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

As where I absolutely loved Condor RR and LG, I was terribly disappointed by St - Bruno RR.

A very pleasant taste at first, it was soon replaced by such a level of Vitamine N that it excluded anything else to emerge.

When the nicotine started settling down in my stomach, I put the pipeful away. I was able to finish it much later on.

I attempted a second try. 30 min after, that was it. Never again.

i won't even try the flake, which I heard is even stronger.

bungaro_toxin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bungaro_toxin (1)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am new to pipe smoking, being a cigar smoker. I bought a Peterson churchwarden smooth Dublin pipe. I read some reviews and decided to start my pipe smoking with St Bruno ready rubbed, which cost just over ten pounds for 50g. I opended the plastic pouch and the smell was slighlty "chemical". The volume of smoke produced was not as much as expected - each puff produced a low quantity of smoke, but nothig like a cuban cigar. For me the taste was almost non existent; it could be that my pipe is new and not yet broken in (and I am new to this). No mouth burn / tongue burn, and not much of a "nicotine hit" or anything. I read reviews about condor being strong - too strong for a new pipe somker, but after St Bruno, I think I will give it a try. The main advantage / reason for trying a pipe was cost - with a good cuban about £15. I'm not giving up, and will try other (much stronger) tobaccos. (keep in mind that I am new to this, and that I am not a seasoned pipe smoker).

pompeyroll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pompeyroll (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been a ST.Bruno tobacco smoker for over 50 years,choosing "Ready rubbed" as my particular favourite.Over the past ten years, I have noticed a distinct change in both the burning and the taste,which is inferior to what it used to be. Three weeks ago, I paid for 5x 50 gramme pouches at Manchester airport in the Duty free sales, and upon my return to the U.K. I was able to collect. However on opening, it states quite clearly on the packaging that this ST.Bruno was in fact made in Scandinavia, (Denmark) by the "Scandinavian Tobacco Group ( Orlik ). Despite the supposed new E.U. regulations that the strands were to be a minimum of 1.5 mm thickness, this seems slightly finer, ( as once was the case for ready rubbed), but upon lighting up, the smell, taste and burning rate are quite different. The taste has a saltpetre flavour and all in all is a most disgusting tobacco. I shall transfer my loyalties to some other blend , possibly one made by McCahey's. What has Imperial Tobacco done to our tobacco industry.It is an appalling state of affairs when even our smoking tobaccos are dictated by some unelected quango of Commissars in Europe.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Have to be honest, I didn't really care for this one. It reminded me of a mild version of condor, but with a bit more bite. Even sipping this guy gave me troubles with tongue bite, it smoked terribly hot. I'd like to try the flake, I tend to like flakes better than these sort of ready rubbed blends. If you like Condor, give it a shot. Not really for me. I only smoked a few bowls before passing this one along.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

It is what it is...

A long standing British supermarket blend. If sipped, it's a steady smoke that edges towards a full flavour.

Not much more to say, other than the old TV ads with the St Bruno dog were entertaining.

I guess there's a reason it's been around for so long. Be careful though, a lot of the time if you are going to buy it OTC, ask the person how long it's been there, as often it's been there a while and can be dry..

Readily available in almost every newsagents up and down Britain. I guess this is the UK's 'Prince Albert'

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)
Medium Very Strong Medium Tolerable

It is a flowery soap flavored aromatic . It is less soap flavored than Condor , which isn't saying much if you don't like this type Aromatic

Age When Smoked: Fresh and then aged a few years to try it again

Purchased From: OTC in newark England

Similar Blends: All the rest of the flower/soap flavored aromatic blend out there.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I have smoked the flake version of St Bruno out of the tin off and on with enjoyment. The ready rubbed version seems to have a different character. It makes me queasy. Is some of the taste sprayed on?

The noble hound on the tin and the pouch - isn't he supposed to be carrying a much needed life-saving dram of something potable?