Inspired by the infamous Australian bushranger and folk hero, Kelly's Coin is a full bodied burley blend that packs a punch, burns smooth, and leaves you satisfied after just one bowl. Perfect for those a little rough around the edges.

Kelly's Coin is a very strong, unadulterated burley blend.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blend TypeBurley Based
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Tolerable to Strong
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

Fun With C&D Samples, Vol II, #5

Final chapter in Vol II - Vol III forthcoming, probably around the first of 2011.

Are you looking for a tobacco that fits the description above of a mild smoke? This isn't it! How C&D can characterize this as mild is a mystery. But are you looking for the perfect blending tobacco - something to add to an aromatic to make it taste more like tobacco, perhaps? This is it! I found this to be a cross between a slower burning Five Brothers and C&D's Big-N-Burley without the latakia.

I smoked 4 bowls of this straight and found it full flavored and tasty but a little strong for me. But added to things like Lane's 1Q, McClellands Best of Show, and other aromatics revealed the shortcomings of those blends... the lack of true honest tobacco flavor. Yes, they are soft and sweet but adding 10-20% of Kelly's Coin transformed them into very good blends while not detracting too much from the "aromatic experience". I also mixed this with other, lighter burleys with excellent results. A little dab into a light latakia fare elevated both blends! And adding a healthy dose of non-descript Turkish tobacco was a fun smoke.

I've never found a better blending tobacco that wasn't named perique. I use this like perique - as a spice... and it certainly does spice things up! I have no idea why this tobacco is so strong as opposed to other burleys I've smoked, but as an amateur blender (read: I ain't no Tarler or Runowski by a long shot!), this is fun and enjoyable stuff. No blending table is complete without a lot of Kelly's Coin!

The cut on this is mostly short narrow ribbons. There are a few chunky bits and a pieces of fish food. It is all tan or brown. The pouch note is slightly sweet and earthy. It came at an excellent level of moisture for me.

For me anyway, I think the strength has been overrated by my fellow reviewers. It is in the medium to strong range - tending to medium really. The taste is a delightful. It is nutty with a hint of earth. It is slightly sweet but does not have any topping I can detect. The smoking experience was very good. It burned cool and did not get harsh or bitter at the end of the bowl. There is a slight tickle in the nose when snorked. I found this very good and well suited to my tastes. It was an easy smoke and was easy to sip.

I could see myself smoking a lot of this, and I think anyone who likes Pegasus would enjoy this as a change of pace. The greatest drawback to this blend is that it seems to be available only in the 2 oz. tin, and the price per ounce is too high.

If you like burley, I really recommend this. It is a great smoke!

Age When Smoked: tin indicated it was a year old

Purchased From: Reigel's Pipe Shop, Ft. Wayne

Despite the description, there is no black cavendish or Virginia in this blend. It’s a nutty, very woody, earthy, lightly sweet with a slight floral note pure burley. It also sports a light semois-ish flavor. The strength and taste are just short of being strong. The nic-hit is hair shy of the center of medium to strong. Won’t bite, but can border on and/or hit a harsh note or two if pushed. Burns clean, but a little warm if puffed beyond a slow cadence. The tobacco does burns a tad fast. The flavor is consistent from start to finish. Leaves virtually no dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a lingering after taste and room note. Not an all day smoke. Also makes a good mixer.

-JimInks

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28472)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I have been doing a fair sampling of burley recently. Kelly's Coin had a single, unflattering, but interesting review. While I had the good folks at C&D on the phone placing an order, I asked for a sample of Kelly's Coin and what they could tell me about it.

It is apparently intended to be used in blending. Oh, it's quite smokable. But as the other reviewer said, it's strong. I have a 7/8 inch bowl fired up and it's telling me that yes, it's quite strong. But I wanted the maximum effect. Nice flavor. Good solid tobacco taste. A bit of sweetness from the leaf. Plain, yet a hint of a fire cured flavor. Not unlike that of the strong ropes. With just a nice bit of moisture, it smokes very cool and leaves a fine gray, powdery ash.

My sample came, as a few other recent blends, just a bit moist. They have been working on that. Something to do with humidity in winter. An hour on a sheet of paper brought it to a very suitable moisture level.

This was just perfect for my needs. Something I have been looking for. I now have a perfect blending tobacco to "kick it up a notch"! Those milder blends that I have trouble smoking because they are simply too light in strength and flavor can now be made wonderful with the simple addition of a small amount of Kelly's Coin. No worries that it will take the blend over with an odd taste. Just good tobacco flavor.

Yes, I will be getting a lot more of Kelly's Coin.

Enjoy!

Carlos

A wide cut Burley that does not bite at all. It does get a little bitter toward the bottom of the bowl and the strength is quite laid back for a Burley. Not a lot of flavor, but you certainly get the nutty flavor most Burley tobacco delivers.

Pipestud

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Strong None Detected Full Overwhelming

'Provides a mild smoke?' There is nothing at all mild about Kelly's Coin. There are many cheap cigars in this world and Cornell & Diehl's No.005 tastes like they took a bunch of them, ground them up, and called it pipe tobacco. This dry, chunky Burley is harsh, hot, bland, and smells very, very bad. Not bad in that Latakia or Perique way which, as we all know, is actually good, but bad in the burning carpet or cat kind of way. This is the only tobacco that my long suffering wife has ever ordered me out of the house for smoking. She was right to do so.

How it is that Cornell & Diehl could have so many very fine Burley blends and still feel justified in selling this stuff is beyond me.

Hacking and wheezing pseudo-regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A very strong, unadulterated Burley. Main notes of wood and nuts with a little earth thrown in for good measure. Great for blending or repairing. Not bad as a stand alone smoke, but can get a bit tiring in that role due to it's monochromatic nature. Highly recommended as a blender.

Strong in body. Taste is medium to full. No added flavorings. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Big thanks to fellow reviewer DK for sending me a (huge) sample of this one. It has been a while since it was sent, so I can't quite remember what precipitated it. I believe I had sent him some of the Burley Ribbon Blending tobacco C&D made wherein I remarked how similar it was to my tastes to these fancy semois burleys being sold.

In any case, I finally got to trying this one out and I came to the same conclusion as with the Burley ribbon cut. It tastes a lot like one of those fancy semois burley blends. lol I think the moral here is, don't waste your money on semois when the same taste can be achieved by a C&D straight burley for half the cost.

Big thanks to Jiminks for confirming that this is, indeed, a straight burley. I don't know if it had Virginia and black Cav at one time, but it clearly does not now.

OK on to the performance of this burley. It is typical C&D dry fish food cut ribbon that burns as fast as the hair on your knuckles when you over fill your zippo. It is perfect for when you have a short time to smoke and you want to feel sated. This will give you all the nicotine you desire. It is strong and it is stout. If you are expecting a nice mild naturally chocolate tasting burley ala ABF, you will be disappointed with this one.

While it does pack some natural burley sweetness, it is not forgiving at all. You will need the perfect cadence to unwrap the flavor of this or it will just be a harsh experience on your palate. It is for this reason that it would never be my top choice for a burley to smoke as I don't like to think or concentrate on my pipe when I am smoking burley. Usually I am working around the garage when I am smoking burley.

But this blend has its charms and if you really like semois, then this should be right up your alley. This is also and ideal blender for diluting heavily topped aros or just putting a little kick in an otherwise lightweight tobacco. I am giving it three stars more for its versatility than on its own merits as a burley.

Similar Blends: semois.

Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Cornell & Diehl - Kelly's Coin.

From the name I'd expected a tin of coins/curly cut, I didn't expect this! Although it's listed as coarse cut, it resembles more of a straight forward ribbon. The moisture's great, so on with the smoke:

Easily initiated, and it burns evenly. I get no tongue bite, but it can become warm if strained. There isn't too much to decipher about the flavour, it's as good a Burley as any: nutty, toasty, rough, and rustic. If you enjoy a high quality Burley you won't go wrong by cellaring a few tins of Kelly, but it's too boring for me; one bowls alright, but any more risks putting me to sleep!

The room-note's a steadfast Burley one, and the nicotine's strong.

Kelly's Coin? I wouldn't want it as a regular smoke, but the quality can't be contended:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Cob

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Very Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

With all due respect to the Tarlers and the other nice folks at C&D, I agree with the esteemed reviewers below me in that KC is not as advertised. I should like to ?coin? a new tin description: ?A strong, rough cut Burley which provides a harsh and bitter smoke.? And I will let this serve as my succinct review of this blend. The only other C&D blend that I found as overwhelmingly strong was Gray Ghost.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 6.0 out of 10.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (112)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Mainly Burley with a bit of Virginia and a wee tad of Cavendish. Pretty well sums it up. The tin note does give the hint of Virginia but aside from a faint sweetness from the Cavendish the taste is 99% Burley. That suits me right down to the ground. Not harsh or overwhelming in taste, the nicotine level is ample and quite satisfying for me. Consistent smoke throughout the bowl. I can see this in my daily rotation and plan to buy more to cellar. If you like Burley this is a must try. This can also be mixed with other blends to provide some body. Solid four for this former Burley grower.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28472)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Bulk: Wide, short ribbon. Very dry, due to being in a plastic bag for a while.

Nicotine: strong

Overall: unpleasant, burned and stung my mouth. Not worth it.