Black Lung is a Full Latakia blend made from a Virginia base with a double dose of Syrian Latakia. A dark, spicy smoke for the Latakia lover.

BrandUptown's Smoke Shop
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Medium, Medium to Full, Very Full
Tolerable, Overwhelming
2.3
tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)
Medium Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Yet another latakia blend...ok as far as that goes.

NR highly for name alone...ignores the suffering of miners and their families. Uptown's should be ashamed to put forth this named blend...in a day when smokers are under a microscope, such selfishness does nothing but darken the smoker's image.

Monumentally stupid...as is ignoring the insensitivity in any review. What are we becoming????

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend was gifted me to try and review and I have to say, it quite a nice blend to sit and relax with on a cold day with a cup of good hot tea in your hand. It is a strong latakia blend with VA mixed in for sweetness. It is a dark rough leaf with some medium brown flakes. It smells leathery and spicy in the pouch and mine came in the perfect moisture level to load easily and was very easy to get lit with the two match technique. Once lit, it bursts with flavor, a rich, creamy, Latakia taste with a touch of sweetness. It is a bold yet non biting blend with lots of flavor and as it burns down, it stays this way all the way to the bottom of the pipe. It burns very dry and just leaves a fluffy gray ash in the bottom of the pipe, no moisture or dottle. This blend uses Syrian tobacco so it has a sweet, spicy and mellow taste. Not one of the very best Englishes I have smoked, but darn near. I recommend it.

Strong None Detected Very Full Overwhelming

I wrestled with how to rate this. The Syrian latakia is very smokey, kind of spicy and woodsy, but overwhelms the Virginia to the point you hardly notice it. I prefer blends with more balance, which is why I only give it two stars. There's virtually no complexity here. If this fits your flavor profile, you'll probably rate it higher than I have, and I can't say you'd be wrong. It is a good blend only if you have the desire for strong, latakia dominant mixtures, because you won't taste much else here.

Edit: I smoked a couple of bowls since I wrote my review, and let the tobacco dry out more than I normally would. The Virginia shows up more then with a grassy medium taste, and no sweetness. I found it a better smoke this way, but not enough to really change my rating. However, if you do want this is be less lat-forward with more Va., dry it out!

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

A great Syrian bulk blend. Arrives a little wet and needs some airing out before smoking. The taste is heavy on Syrian, but there isn't much balance in the flavors -- latakia domination. I think the only thing this blends really lacks is a bit sweeter VA to really put it over the top -- that said, it's still far superior to Bohemian Scandal and Rose of Latakia for sheer Syrian taste, IMO. I still prefer 763 or FMAP, but this isn't a bad alternative. If you want to try it, try a few others or just order a bunch to get the price break.