An incredible blend of premium dark red and sweet Virginias from the "border belt", light yellow Virginia from South Carolina and dark-fired, spicy Kentucky. Slow burning and because no flavoring has been added, this blend has a real tobacco taste.

Notes: It is a natural blend with no additives or flavors.

BrandSolani

3.7
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

KENTUCKY is another name for fire-cured Burley. The tobacco is hung from poles inside a barn. Slow fires of hardwood and hardwood sawdust burn on the floor of the barn until the tobacco is completely dry. If the weather is damp, this process can take up to 40 days. "Kentucky" therefore has something in common with Latakia but, whereas Latakia's smokiness is sharply pungent to the taste and smell, Kentucky's is dense and univocal, reminiscent of charcoal-filtered whisky, though not as bracing or complex as good Tennessee. I have never been a Burley lover and find Kentucky dull, though I will admit this here is high quality leaf, not so earthy as common Burley, which always tastes to me as if it had been fermented in a dusty silo. To the Kentuck has been added a toasty Red which has a much more lively wavelength. This makes the luxuriously packaged and expensive Silver Flake moderately enjoyable to me?in small amounts. Smoked in a big pipe, it might seem a bit interminable.

Strike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strike (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a ripe red Virginia with some dark fired Kentucky. A real tobacco for Virginia lovers. The Virginia is very high grade and the Kentucky lends a unique spiciness to the blend. It is delicious! Upon lighting, the richness is apparent and continues throughout the bowl with a slight crescendo at the finish. A little ageing will improve the smoothness of the blend but it is absolutely ready now. The flavor is full and the strength is medium to strong. A very satisfying tobacco on all levels.

This one is indeed similar to Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky. The Virginia leaf in this blend though, seems to provide some sweetness that is not found in DSK.

The Solani Silver flakes are somewhat broken and colorful. The moisture content is perfect and the burn is a tad spicy and very cool. You will be hard pressed to get this one to bite.

The best part about this blend to me is the fact that it has strength and a mild sweetness that my palate craves. I smoked my 100 gram tin in a month's time and ordered more. Since this blend arrives in a non-vacuum sealed tin, I will properly age it by placing small portions in several different ball type canning jars, being sure to keep them in a cool, dry and dark place. That should produce a nice mellowing of the leaf that I look forward to trying again in a couple of years.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

After almost 50 years of pipe smoking I am becoming a bit more selective about the NEW blends that I try. With this tobacco blend garnering so many 4-star ratings (averaging a 3.7 overall) I figured that it just had to be worth a try. This is my first experience with SOLANI and I have to admit that I wasn't disappointed, but though this is a very decent tobacco, I don't find it to be remarkable or particularly noteworthy—3-stars only.

This one is easy—it’s intended to be a change-of-pace for the Virginia, VAPER, and Virginia/Oriental market. I have to say that I’ve enjoyed other tobaccos from other blenders in the aforementioned varieties much more. And I didn’t find Silver Flake to be quite as interesting or complex as many other blended Virginia flakes.

I know that it's claimed that this is a completely natural tobacco, however, it seems to be a bit sweeter than I anticipated that it would be, especially considering the presence of the burley.

I won’t have much of a problem smoking through my 100g tin, but I probably won’t purchase more.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Normally, I don't care much for Burley/Kentucky unless the blender is a genius and the leaf is of impeccable quality. Then again, I'm not normally normal.

This is outstanding tobacco, and another RL Will triumph. The Kentucky does a great job pinch hitting for Perique; lending richness, fire abatement, nuttiness and depth to the blend, but without the spicy tang and peppery notes of Perique. Not as refreshing as a good Va/Per...more of an evening smoke along with some good Kentucky Corn Squeezin's. Long Golden Flake makes a great daytime companion to this offering.

The Virginias are also top shelf and are perfect sparring partners as the smoke develops...both sharp, tangy flavors layered with rich sweetness. The finish is a bit creamy and sweet, and this is where the Kentucky truly shines with its strength and character. Yummy.

12 of those goofy tins, sealed in foodsaver bags without using the vac feature, just sealed. We'll see how that works out.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

Hi Ho Silver Flake...!!!

Sheer magnificance. Genius. Bravo. Yet so simple.

The flakes are long but partially broken or will break up some in removal from the foil packaging in the tin.

Very natural, pure scent in the tin. Dark and brown looking.

Fairly dry to the touch and in the bowl, but easily manipulated (folded, torn, etc.). No Pandora's box here.

Tobacco flakes consists of reds and some bright virginia leaves and dark fired Kentucky. Looks and tastes more like a brown flake - fullish.

A wonderful straight tobacco taste, earthy, cool, with dark undertones (probably the slight "spicy" effect from the Kentucky). So phantasmagoric, words fail me. No sweetness added (and certainly no whiskey or flavors even sensed). This is straight, no nonsense tobacco. For the artic explorers in us all. Full at times, yes, and even on the strong side for some, but not near overwhelming IMO or over the top. I would say reserved in its body and strength but certainly not overdone. Smooth. Even cigar like (but no cigar leaf here). "Touching on the outer rings of richness." A master's touch, as they say, for sure. Not just a nectar of the gods, but it summons the gods as you puff.

Not as full as G&H's robust Brown Flake; maybe as full or slightly more full than Germain's Brown Flake version. Close to Nut Brown Flake, that some call the "King of all Tobacco." This is fuller and less sweet than Solani's Long Golden Flake, which has more bright leaf and some Tennessee white burley instead of the dark Kentucky burley in Silver Flake. But never bitter.

This is a true dark strong Kentucky, and the best I've tried with this Kentucky leaf added. It's potent but forgiving. No bite to me but maybe some spice from the Kentucky. Smokers who don't care for burley or real straight tobaccos may not take to this, but eveyone should give it a try if you want a fullish blend on the outer ring of richness.

My mother and son say it smells delicious. Strange, as only straight natural tobaccos are involved here. What can I say?

I've nearly finished my 100 grams in two pipes -- an old Comoy and a new Jacono. Lots and lots of bowls. A real test flight, not just a drive. Took me through a hurricane wait this summer (2005). Kept me calm and at peace with myself and the world.

Highly recommended as another stroke of the R. Will genius. "Hi Ho Silver Flake and Away!"

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (8)

I've been smoking this tin of Silver Flake for just under a month. When it first arrived, I found that its appearance was exactly as all the other reviews have discussed. However, I also found that right out of the tin it was very heavy on the Burley, and a bit harsh. Where were the Virginias?

Fast-forward three weeks.

Whether a palate adjusts to tobacco, or whether a tobacco can truly breathe and take on new dimensions in a mason jar - I am not sure. What I do know is that this tobacco has skyrocketed to being among my favorites. If there were a five star rating I would give it to this blend.

Where right out of the tin the leaf was heavy on the Burley and the Virginias nearly non-existent, I am now finding an amazing balance between the two. Perhaps more than any other tobacco, I enjoy bringing the exhaled smoke back towards my face so that I can smell the aroma - just a clean tobacco aroma. Tobacco as its meant to be smoked.

I find that this tobacco wants some attention: not because it needs constant relights. Rather, it deserves attention because of the subtleties and range of flavors. The tanginess of the Burleys. The sweetness of the Virginias. And where I found that this tobacco would bite right out of the tin, I am now finding it much less likely to do so.

Some have asked me if it's worth the price. For a 100g it is more expensive than some other excellent tobaccos. I would certainly say that it's well worth the price, as the quality of the leaf is among the best out there. It's just that good.

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin bulldog Peterson Donegal Rocky MM cob

Age When Smoked: New in tin

Purchased From: Smokingpipes dot com

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (60)

There seems to be some debate about this being straight tobacco or if there is a topping. The home page of Kohlhase & Kopp actually categorizes it as an English blend a rare category for a blend without Lat. and indicates that there is no added topping. I would side with the blender here. No topping. What I get is sweet red VA's and red VA always has a toasted grain like sweetness when blended with bright VA's to me that sweetness moves toward a fruit like sweet taste. Granted it is still a mild sweetness but it is very present throughout the bowl. It really reminds me of the cattle barn (a clean one mind you). The sweet smell of hay and straw mingling together with the cattle. The KY is smokey, earthy and a little spicy. I also get some tea like notes here and there that may be either the bright VA's or the KY or the combination of them working in harmony. I have smoked 2 tins of this now. One new and this one, which was jarred for 19 months, with no noticeable change in the blend, which I think is a good thing. It should take a very long to reach its peak. I have one more tin jarred which will be opened much later. I plan on buying several tins in the near future to cellar. A wonderful blend!

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

They claim there are no additives or flavors but I disagree; there is a sweet topping to this blend. It's light, but it's there, though it is not a distraction. Some say there's a whiskey topping, and I really can't argue that point, though whiskey wasn't quite what I had in mind for the flavor I've mentioned. The sweet and lush taste of the red Virginias is the star flavor, but it's rounded out with a light Kentucky spice, and slight tangy and citrus notes from the yellow Virginia. It's easy to break apart and stuff or cube-cut as you please. It burns well and even, but slowly, with no tongue bite, though I've noticed a few times the very bottom of the bowl had a little wetness. A well made blend for red Virginia smokers who want something a little different, though it's rather pricey. If you're able to afford it, you'll be glad you bought it.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

This is a real tobacco taste, sweet, grassy, woodsy, smokey follows with a nice floral taste at my palate. I'm not a fans of burley or Kentucky if smoke it straight without mixed with other tobaccos. Had some experiences when I smoke straight aged burley and I don't like it. It doesn't please me up and just a dull taste for me, but this blend is quite good and nice. Of course this blend has a good tin notes and sight. The tin note is smells so good, a mature virginia follows with baked bread scent. Easy to pack and light, found no difficult to keep the light. The smokes is quite great, not hard to draw, not too much moist and I'm enjoying a cool and dry smoking time, and the dominant taste are smokey baked bread, floral sweetness, follows with grassy sweet virginia and it far different with others burleys, I don't found earthy taste that I usually found from burleys. I think this blend use a lot kentucky burley so it almost dominant the taste so I don't really like it to be my favorite, but for those whose really love Burleys, I will recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: Comoy Tradition 36

Purchased From: Indonesian Local Tobacconist

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Kohlhase und Kopp makes high quality tobacco pipe, I knew that already.

Upon opening the tin and seeing the huge, long, wide flakes, I was impressed with the sight of the dark colours and the very natural, pure smell of unadulterated Virginia and Kentucky tobaccos.

The smell is a mixture of wheat fields (so earthy) and the mélange of different Virginias gives it a note of hay, citrus and sweet quince jam.

The humidity level is ideal for rubbing, filling and smoking without waiting and drying (SG should take note).

The tobacco lights like a charm (never had to relight), and I am caressed by the aromas of this magnificent pure American tobacco. Very cool smoke with a respectable N hit. The room note however is less than pleasant to the people around me.

I find this tobacco better than SG 1792 flake from every single aspect. Kudos to K&K for this magnificent blend.

Pipe Used: Straight Bulldog by Piazzolla

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Pipe-Shop.net

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (41)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Incredibly, as others before me have observed, this expensive tobacco is offered for sale in an unsealed plastic bag, inside an unsealed tin. None the less, it appears that the tobacco remains moist enough and fairly supple. My most recent sample is formed into one l-o-n-g, mottled, dark brown “flake” that is rolled up and folded like a soft, wide leather belt without a buckle. The tin note is subtle yet arresting, smelling mostly like what it is: well-aged, stoved and hot-pressed, fermented versions of premium iterations of deep VA and KY tobaccos, also like well-tended, older, handmade leather shoes, along with soft-yet-exotic Oriental spices. I happen to be quite taken with SF’s rather unusual tin note. I always jar SF immediately, whether to smoke it or to age it, because the idea that it’s “exposed” in an unsealed tin makes me nuts. The pressed tobacco “flake” yields and breaks up readily when it’s handled. At first it was easy to gather and load small-ish or large-ish pieces of the “flake”, but over time it has broken down from picking to become something like a rough shag. Regardless, SF is easy to load, and it’s easy enough to light, as well. Once lit, and tamped with relaxed regularity, it smokes straight down to a very few cinders. There is ample smoke that seems to thicken as the smoke progresses. There is a light topping that supplies the first, fairly delicate scents from the smoke, and I am just guessing that it includes vanilla, almond, orange, and honey, among other additives. Soon enough, however, the constituent tobaccos take over, and the smells and tastes ramp up gracefully but forcefully to a “full” version of the tobaccos featured in the tin note. The tastes and the scents, and the smooth, dry smoke somehow remind me of certain premium Tampa cigars from my youth (a long time ago…), for whatever that’s worth. Though somewhat “blunt”, and consistent end to end, the tastes are subtly varied, if not myriad, and they are well aligned with the scents. The VAs are mostly deep and earthy, also slightly pungent, and their sweetness is balanced and occasionally overshadowed by the bitter tannins from the KY. This KY is also rather spicy, and somewhat “smoky”, again, like the Blue Ribbon KY once commonly used in premium Tampa cigars. To my tastes, the constituent tobaccos are well met, even exemplary for this. Meanwhile, the steadily increasing “force” of the smoke probably makes this a blend best suited for “experienced”, slow pipe smokers. Strength is medium, and tastes are (eventually) full. Although I like the strong room note, and I get no complaints from the cigar crowd, I’ve never tried it on my loved ones. I really enjoy the aftertaste, which is a sweeter, trailing-off version of the best of the smoke.

If one wants a rich, deep, “easy” smoke, and one is OK with the constituent tobaccos, then, IMO, Silver Flake is worth its price. In this respect, SF fills its niche perfectly. I find it relaxing, but only if I have the time and the inclination to really relax. Otherwise, I can see how it might seem overwhelming or even monotonous to someone unused to this sort of tobacco. I recommend it first to “serious” VA/Bur lovers, then to VA/Bur/Per lovers, also to veteran Burly lovers. Despite the obvious differences, SF rather reminds me of MacBaren’s Old Dark Flake, and GLP’s JackKnife Plug and Key Largo, all of which are among my favorite pipe tobaccos. 4 Stars from me, because IMO SF is among the best of its ilk.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: fresh to 3 years, from jars

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to MacBaren's Old Dark Flake, and GLP's JackKnife Plug and Key Largo.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am indebted to fellow poster Eulenburg for his notes on how dark-fired Kentucky is distinctive from "ordinary" Burley. I also find myself unusually in tune with the majority of comments and observations here.

So, keeping it brief: a lovely array of Virginia flavours present themselves to the fore; a little tang is apparent from the Kentucky. The overall experience is a balanced, easy-going and extremely pleasant smoke.

Highly recommended.

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

On a whim the other day I picked a tin of this out of the cellar. My tin of Silver Flake hadn't been in there that long really and I almost picked something else. I remember adding it to a tobacco order because I'm into Virginia blends, a friend raved about it and the reviewers loved it.

First of all, the tin is gorgeous. Inside, log gold and brown flakes in a cellophane folded bag with a gold metallic tape seal. Pretty. I was surprised that there's zero vacuum seal, which worried me for a moment, thinking I should have smoked it sooner. But yay! ... perfect moisture. The scent is of somewhat sweet, natural tobacco. The flakes separate into strands easily and that's how I packed the ol' Ashton billiard -- vertical strands in the bowl.

The char went well; the tobacco fluffed up some, but the tamp and light were easy with the burn as good as it gets from first puff to the dry white ash at the end.

The high quality Kentucky in this blend is evident, which is fine by me as it rounds out the red and yellow virginias while adding a fullness and a hint of spice the qualities of which I found unusual for a virginia blend. Full flavors, certainly not mild, but I can't label this as anywhere near strong, either. Quite smooth. Never bitter. Not sweet as in honey sweet, but subtly sweet (from the superb aged virginias I presume). Ah, I'm really appreciating the art of a master blender with this one. Certainly not light on nicotine but just enough. The room note is as good as it gets for a virginia blend, IMO.

If you try it, due to the classy but not very well sealed packaging, I'd recommend you jar it upon receipt. For virginia lovers (but probably not those sensative to red virginias), this is a must try. OK, it's not cheap, but worth every penny.

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)

Upon opennig the large rectangular tin I found a cellophane pouch, similar to other brands. It is not a material I like, since I found very hard to keep tobacco moist. Anyway, large semi-broken flakes wellcome you, with light brown and golden tones. The aroma is lightly fragant, with promising breadish notes.

Because the unusual size of the flakes, I took more than normal time to prepare the pipe. It lit with no problem, and give an even burn.

On the taste side, this blend dissapointed me. It was spicy yet flat. Got quite a bite.

After tasting Solani´s Aged Burley Flake I was eager to taste this blend. Unfortunately it was not as good as Burley Flake, which is one my current favorites.

Simply put, one of the best tobaccos ever made in Earth. Red and lemon Virginias interplay to provide a smooth, sweet, grassy smoke, complemented by a wisely low amount of Kentucky that, instead of getting in the way, give the blend a VaPer-like taste, without the sour touch of Perique. Splendid!

smoke dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke dog (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Im just finishing my first bowl of this and it is very enjoyable. Out of the tin, it smells of un sweetened chocolate and fresh hay. This is also my first experience with a flake and was happy to see how well it packed and lit. (Used the fold and pack technique) the beginning of the smoke started like it smelled out of the tin, a bit grassy and mild. It starts to transform mid way, with a sweet, nutty, earthy taste, but far from over powering. The tobacco taste is there. Im at the end of my bowl and now get a taste of bread. I like how the smoke changes in flavor throughout. It stayed lit well and it has ABSOLUTELY no bite.. a huge plus. I would say the room note is also very nice.. definitely try it for yourself, but put it in a jar.. the tin will dry it out fast. All in all, a very enjoyable hour long smoke. there is a decent amount of nicotine, so eat something before you smoke.. i dont think its aeromatic in character at all, and leaves a bit of a cigarette smell.. i do like it, but as far as an all day smoke, not so much..

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A high quality Virginia with a touch of Burley, way in the background. The Kentucky only provides some base, complexity and probably is the reason this doesn't bite ( although it has some spice). The smoke starts out sweet with a "Danish Virginia" taste (honey/hay) and develops into what I call an "English Virginia" ( McC 5100 Red Cake ), a sweet & sour taste, very nice. I always like to compare the Virginia / Burley blends to Orliks Golden Flake Red, in this case the Virginia is out front, it is stronger and sweeter than "Red" and not as "Green". The cut is very easy to use, 4 inch long ready rubbed flakes. Just pull a few out, fold and stuff, easy to light, easy to keep lit with a few tamps. This smoke is never bitter. I would buy more if I could hit the lotto, expensive. One complaint, the tin is not air tight and of an odd bulky shape. This could be an all day smoke if you're into Virginias, again, after the lotto win, but I will keep this around for a treat.

CaptainEnormous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptainEnormous (17)

Exceptional quality straight VA/Kentucky blend. Like all Solani products I've tried, this tobacco is of the highest quality. There's a very pure, slightly rough tobacco taste here. There is no casing or topping evident, nothing to dim the rough edges of the constituent ingredients.

Silver lights easily and builds in flavor and strength as you progress through the bowl. There's a lot going on in here--it's a pleasure trying to identify the different VAs in the blend, or wondering where that peppery peck is coming from. It's so interesting, really, that you almost forget to notice the simple, pure quality of this tobacco: a bowl lasts a good 40 minutes, burns cool and evenly, even when one pays too much attention to writing online tobacco reviews and not enough to proper smoking technique.

As evidenced from the previous 4 star ratings, I think lots of people want an un-tampered with blend just like Solani Silver. I like this, but the Perique-like pepper spice of the Kentucky and (I think) red Virginias puts me off just a little. I like my rough edges a little more rounded off.

An earlier review noted the "crecendo" of the last part of the bowl. Perfectly put. After 30 minutes of delicious VA and Kentucky flavors, and more than a little spice, this turns a corner. The spice of the first 2/3 mellows out, and a rich, creamy, magnificent flavor appears. It's the same thing you get right at the end of a bowl of ABF, when the chocolate backnote fades and you're left with this exquisite, calming (lots of vit. N at the end) experience. And then, suddenly, it's over. Fine white ash. Wistful satisfaction. See you next time, Silver Flake.

I love the tin aroma of this blend. It smells like raisins and figs. It arrives at the right moisture level and I enjoy in most in a small bowl. I find that while the strengh grows a bit, the flavor stays pretty constant without a bitter ending. As others have commented on, I have only found it in 100gm tins and it can be on the pricey side. With that said, IMHO this is a high end blend. The tin doesn't close tightly so I would suggest placing it in a jar with a tight lid if its not going to be smoked within two weeks. I am anxious to crack open a jar after a couple of years in the cellar. Highly recommended!

Interesting tin description... says "no flavoring has been added" and also says it's flavored with whiskey. I didn't taste any - perhaps it's in the room note?

This is one for my steady rotation. As I'm discovering more burley blends, I've found myself smoking fewer Vapers, and this one bridges that gap. The fire-cured Kentucky gives a subtle "perique-like" spiciness to this mildly sweet red virginia blend. I've smoked this in several manners - fresh out of the tin, aged about a year, slow sipping, more rigorous puffing, and in pipes of various sizes, shapes, makes and substances. This one never fails to deliver whatever I desire. If I want a slow, contemplative smoke to dissect the nuances and depth, I can do that. If I want to spice it up a little, I just puff a little more vigorously (it doesn't bite - unless you insist on it!) and the burley spice and body comes through. If I want to "set it and forget it", I can puff this wonder while working in the yard in a Lepeltier clay, cob, old beat up meerschaum and crappy briar and the flavor never fails. For those of you who want to try the more vigorous puffing trial, note that using that method does give you some harshness near the end of the bowl.

There are certain classic tobaccos everyone should try at least once... Balkan Sobranie (good luck!), Escudo, Edgeworth Slices, Hal O' The Wynd, Long Golden Flake etc, regardless of which blend style you prefer. This needs to be added to the list of "must trys". One year of age does this a lot of good, but it's great right out of the tin. I've no doubt that it will age further like the masterpiece it is. Rudiger Will is a blender to be reckoned with!

R. Will continues his expert blending and this one is on par with Solani 633 and Reiner's. I'm not sure where the "whisky" flavoring indicated above came from but I didn't even taste a hint; only quality natural tobacco taste. Moisture content, packing, initial lighting, burn rate were ideal. I prefer Reiner's sweeter taste but that's just personal choice. If you prefer a fuller/richer smoke without any bitterness or bite, give this one a try.

This is a very tasty blend from a label that knows how to make great tobaccos. I just finished up a sample of this by giving away the last few bowls. I really did not get a chance to know it well, but am not concerned as I have a 100g tin sitting in the cellar for later.

I have no qualms giving this 3 stars based on the three or four wonderful bowls I had, but will wait until I get into that tin to further evaluate. I actually think this may get a fourth star from me later.

Just the perfect body for a relaxing smoke. Everything you would want in a VaBur flake, but not quite overtaking Irish Flake in my rotation yet.

erthbound0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erthbound0 (8)

There is not much else to be said about this amazing tobacco, but there is one point I want to stress. There is ZERO tongue bite with this blend. I smoked it pretty hot and my tongue was completely cool. Rare for a full Virginia.

This is my favorite Virginia to date and possibly my favorite tobacco of all time.

Finally ordered some Silver Flake for a new Stanwell Vario billiard. Beautiful presentation in the cellophane bag (wrapped that in a zip lock for storage in its tin). Very little by the way of tin aroma, just a mild smelling tobacco. Nice, pliable leaf that loaded and lit very readily. I notice a slight spiciness to the tongue but no true bite. It smoked very cool and was overall mild for an offering that has Kentucky Burley. It reminded me the most of MacBaren's Stocton, but with way less sweetness or "Kentucky kick," with Virginia taste being more like Wessex's Gold Brick. The spiciness of the Kentucky leaf became more apparent toward mid bowl but was never over the top. Can't say this will ever become my one of my favorites as a solo entity since it is way too mild and with very little taste, but I like the way the end result of the blending takes away that Virginia grassiness that I am not a big fan of. I like to mix it with Aged Burley Flake for a fuller smoke. All in all, if you like milder Virginias with subtleness and no bite I can recommend this without reservation.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

I could only get this in the 100g size. The tin presentation of this blend surprised me a bit: a largish, attractive rectangular tin that is not airtight, with the tobacco itself neatly arranged in a cellophane wrapper (also not airtight) with a foil seal on it. It was nicely done and made me think of an expensive confection. I saved the tin for other uses but moved the tobacco to sealed glass immediately.

The flakes are long (8 inches unfolded), uniform thickness, and slightly loose. I thought they were on the dry side but turned out to be just the right moisture level to smoke now. The long strands that gently rub from these flakes are ideal for an inverted pack into a large bowl.

At match this blend reminds me a lot of Esoterica Stonehaven - the flakes are not pressed quite as hard as Stonehaven and as a result require less preparation and light more easily - but the smoke is sweet with a graham-cracker / slightly vanilla-like flavor, only a bit spicier than Stonehaven. It will not knock your socks off with its power but is well-mannered and very refined. Although not an aromatic, the room note of this blend is sweet and pleasant. The flavor and even burn are consistent throughout the bowl.

This is a refined medium-strength flake that I will definitely keep on hand. If I were stranded on a deserted island with no other blend I would be happy with this for a long time.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)

First impressions: I wanted to like this one more than I did. Drier than I usually smoke my Virginias but top quality, no doubt. I found it reminiscent of the so-so Dunhill Flake. There was a spice to it that DF doesn't have but its so subtle. If you've had DF then you already pretty much know Silver Flake. Very similar. I would give SF an edge on depth and nuances but DF an edge on availablity and price. I'll jar it and seem what happens in a year or two.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I fired-up several bowls of this flake tobacco after aging it for a year. Wow! Very nice, sweet and mild. Long burning to grey white ash. You know you have good tobac when you don't want the smoke to end. This is a nice balance between Burley and Virginia leaf in a beautiful flake. Not over moist. Still 5 stars.

I purchased a tin of silver at Christmas time when I was in Chicago. Since then it has aged for 6 months. This is a sweet mild smoke that I enjoyed greatly. Top shelf and highly recommended.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice. Fold and stuff. A long flavorfull smoke. I'll been keen on trying other Solani offerings.

Hazzeyd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hazzeyd (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I was honestly expecting to find the taste on the mild side based on the tin aroma and was happy to find a bright yet slightly spicy fuller flavor from this tobacco.

While I enjoy a Virginia/Perique blend as much as the next person, I believe this manages to give you the same spice as a VaPer without the sour notes. I am generally not a huge fan of burly, but it works well in here.

Although it said it was a flake mine was dryer than I expected and partially falling apart when I opened it. I don't know if this was a packaging error or if this is normal. But as a departure from exceedingly moist stuff like FVF I was glad to have it in this state as it facilitated easy pipe loading and wasn't by any means too dry.

It smokes well, I had an easy time lighting it and keeping it lit. I found that it does bite if you are too vigorous with it.

So summarily, excellent flavor(sweet, bright and a little spicy) and convenient to load. If you are a fan of Virginias this is something that you shouldn't miss.

vincenzo peruggia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vincenzo peruggia (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Treat this leaf with the reverence it deserves ! Bravo from vincenzo ! I envy you your first bowl.

robertcoogan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robertcoogan (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I would definitely recommend this to anyone. Very pleasant, in fact my only complaint is it required relighting - a minor complaint at best. I would store it in a jar however, it will dry out if left in the tin.

The Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Antihero (8)

In very frank words: Everyone should try this blend at least once in their life time.

It is an excellent mixture and so many reviews with 4 stars (including this one) can't be all wrong.

I won't go into much detail, because I don't wish to spoil the surprise for a 1st time taster of this blend; and because I am very tired at the moment.

4 stars, all the way.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not really a Virginia fan to date, but this is a great smoke. No bite. Loads of flavor with a nice fruity after taste on the exhale.

PatioPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PatioPiper (1)

A good solid consistent blend.....What a nice smoking experience its rare that you come across tobacco like 660. Every puff is a refreshing flavor, crisp, clean VA and really nice KT spice and aroma. Take this opportunity now pickup a tin today you will not be sorry! I've been smoking this blend for over six years now and will continue to purchase tins until they disappear forever.

B.Sur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
B.Sur (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am opening another tin at the moment. This is a very fine tobacco. A very friendly smoke with good taste through al the sequences and layers of a good medium sized bowl. it's not only friendly by taste, but by burn rate also. When properly packed,lighted and puffed,it won't need a relight untill almost at the end of the enjoyment 1,5 hours later. I like this smoke with a large mug of coffee, but it goes well with good Belgian beer too. The only complaint i can think of, is that this blend is so good that i smoke to much of it.

The tin looks good, but it is not very well engineered. To keep this tobacco fresh, i recommend a good sealbag,or to put the 660 on your daily smoke list.

Big H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big H (9)

This is my favorite Virginia flake yet. The Kentucky leaf adds just the right amount of spice and complexity to a smooth, sweet, Virginia blend. It lights and smokes well offering a lot more flavor then most Virginia's I've tried which tend to be as tame as smoldering tea leaves.

portasio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
portasio (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

if there's anything out there better than this stuff, i definitely want to try it. for now, this is my daily leaf.

ARIMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARIMA (12)

Great looking tin and presentation but like others have said the tin didn't close tight enough;the tobacco would clearly dry up if left in the original tin. Very nice flake which crumbled slightly when I switched to a better container. It smokes evenly every time. The bowl will get a little hot if I go too fast. I've ordered several other Solani selections and look forward to trying those, but I'm sure this one will be one I always come back to.

Others have mentioned the high price of 660. I've found it at just over $17.00 for a 100g tin. Most of the quality 50g tins are in the $8.00 to $10.00 range so I think the 100g tin of 660 is an acceptable price-it's worth it.

conicallybored Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
conicallybored (13)

This was my first flake. Exactly what I hoped it would be after reading these reviews. Beautifully tinned, sophisticated, fine and unique (in my limited experience). Long burning, great in a church warden or other smallish fine pipe. Strong enough to flavor a pipe, so maybe match it to a pipe used for similar flavors/strengths of tobacco. Solani Silver Flake is to pipe tobacco what Brooklyn East India Pale Ale is to beer.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say about Silver Flake...it is like fold'in and pack'in Jessica Alba up and smoke'in her in ur pipe FANTASTIC! Used fold/pack in a Medium/ bent Dublin Ardor, a few relights this way but once goin she smoked like a dream...but beware if u puff her too hard she will bite u, but if you sip slow she will reward u with explosive flavors....

All in all, get yourself of this wonderful blend, got to snag a few tins for cellar... Two long folded flake side-by-side in tin...but will not preserve it, transfer to mason jars

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Simply one of the very best burley va flakes on the market today. A must try blend.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on a fresh tin. Taste is mainly quality tobacco leaf. The slight whiskey flavoring is unnoticeable. The smoke was really enjoyable and I finished the 100g tin in about a week. I didn't smoke anything else during this period. Thought I'd finish the tin without interruption.

This is a fine blend that I considered to be more enjoyable than...say, Long Golden Flake, for instance. Didn't care much for the Licorice flavoring in that one. I would probably buy this one again and allow it to age a while. One of the best VA/Burs I've smoked.

This stuff won't bite unless you really get carried away on the celestial plains of life. The bag inside the tin is fairly supple & folded in a manner that facilitates moisture retention for a fairly long period. Therefore, I highly recommend this blend for those seeking a rewarding pipe smoking session.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Starts off like a very tasty and matured virginia and progresses down the bowl to the typically spicy,nutty and rougher burley taste. Not a burley man myself, but the great first half of the bowl is enough to keep me happy. Smokers who enjoy both virginias and burleys will be delighted.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Is there a better tobacco than this?? Please let me know! amazing taste, quality tobacco - very impressive all round.

GatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GatesOfDawn (1)

I just finished a deep satisfying bowl of Solani Silver Flake as the westering sun completed its course on a fine October evening. I prefer to rub the flake out before loading it into my pipe. It's the perfect smoke at the close of day. This tobacco has recently risen to the very top of my rotation. It begins cool with a flavorful, dark-fired burley taste mixed with red virginia and lasts me about forty-five blissful minutes, staying lit and cool, growing all the more satisfying as the bowl gradually diminishes. I savor every slow sip and find myself wishing the experience had lasted even longer. You must give this blend a try. The tin, once opened, will not preserve the tobacco's deserved freshness, so I transfer mine to mason jars. Highly recommended.

umm_bacon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
umm_bacon (12)

This is my first review and I am still new to pipe smoking. I have recently quit smoking cigarettes, and ventured into the pipe world to help placate the occasional outbursts of intermittent explosive disorder as a result of my recent reprieve from nicotine and an oral fixation. Be it scotch, cigars, wine, etc. I have never pretended to be a connoisseur. I don't pick up hints of this or images of that. I like what I like, and I can't always justify why. I like Silver Flake. I have smoked about a dozen or so mid to higher end blends (my dad has been gracious enough to provide many excellent samples to save me from the pitfalls of the uninitiated) and Solani Silver Flake is the one that keeps my attention the best. Silver Flake is strong enough to remind me that I pee standing up, but not too much to make the experience at all unpleasant. If you are new to pipe smoking I would strongly encourage you to get a tin of this.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

This is a nice tobacco, medium of strength with a bit of a taste to it as the red virginias come through carried on the shoulders of the burley.

Were this more easily obtainable, I would be tempted to put it in rotation. But it isn't, so a pleasant treat from time to time will have to be the limit.

If you like red virginia, with it's own natural sweetness, this is well woth a try.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Taste: Great! No whiskey found, just pure tobacco taste

Packaging: Only 100 gr tin available in Holland, beautifull but hopelessly impractical...

All in all I would have preferred Silver Flake to come in a Reiner Long Golden Flake tin, then it would be up there in my 'Favourites' list.

update 12-2010 I just don't come around this flake anymore since I tasted Best Brown Flake and Holker Twist so I knock off one star

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)

Silver flake is high quality tobacco im sure that...However its too spicy for me...The tin also awful, its not close !!!

Broken and some standart flake waiting for you...The moisture is perfect...I like smoke at the night, after dinner...There is no whisky taste but some fruits and pepper...Nicotine is good for me...

I like this stuff but not too much...Its not in my five...

31z40 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
31z40 (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Solani Silver Flake; I have had four bowls of this tobacco in the past few days in a Radice TB Oiled Bark Rhodesians, Bulldog, Prince and Bjarne Straight Grain Brandy. When first opening the 100 gram tin The aroma was Red Virginia in a flake about 2" wide two stacks side by side, the flakes were rather long but easily to shred apart. I did not rub the flakes out just folded and packed in the bowls. The color is a rich brown with streaks of light golden tobaccos. The first light of the bowl was more than I first expected as the taste was a full rich Red Virginia with a spicy taste of darkened Kentucky and to my surprise this lasted throughout the bowl as it just got better towards the end of the bowl. This is not recommended on an empty stomach as it does have a full Virginia strength, I will keep this is my rotation as a great tobacco, although this is not the same as Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky it does have a taste of its own. The Silver Flake will leave you with a great satisfaction of well rounded Red Virginia

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley is not my first choice, or even my second, for pipe tobacco. But this is an exception.

It seems like the larger the bowl size, the more it shines. I have a huge Don Carlos Montana that I smoke on Sundays while watching my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers or, at this point in the season, whomever I am forced to watch.This combination of pipe and Silver Flake is awesome. I also have an old Digby that works well.

I don't mind the fact that Silver Flake is pricey, but the packaging is poor. The pack inside the attractive tin, or rather would be attractive if the label was on straight,is vacuum sealed; however, I have never been able to get these pouches open without the foil pack tearing. Since I can only find 100 gr. tins, the tobacco needs transferred or enclosed in a zip-loc bag because the tin itself does not close tightly.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

What a wonderful Virginia-Kentucky-blend! Smooth as silk and gentle on my palate. Tastes very natural. Natural Sweetness, Natural Nuttiness/Tastiness. It seems like the Solani blends are beginning to grow on me. First Aged Burley Flake and now Silver Flake. Mr. Will is a "madman"

=update 20/11/2010=

After one year of cellaring i couldnt wait any longer. Popped the sealed can. The tobacco feels soft as silk. Gently rub it out, and fill the best pipe i have. WOW...this tobacco tastes like pure butter. FANTASTIC!!!!

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

Solani Silver Flake has a great true tobacco taste with a nice, subtle pure Virginia sweetness. The spicy note of the smoke is light and adds an excellent pleasure.

The colorful flakes pack and light easily. Offers a cool and long lasting smoke. The only disadvantage of the 100 gr tin is that it isn't vacuum sealed. So the aging of the this tobacco might be a problem.

Do not miss this fine blend. I will regularly keep a tin on the top shelf.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco comes in a folded, plastic bag inside a hinge-top, non-vacuum sealed tin. The tin is a silver color and not the green depicted. If you elect to purchase some & don't plan on smoking it right away, be sure and make use of a zip-lock bag right away. Why? I'm glad you asked. It's because the plastic bag is only folded to form the freshness seal. The tin aroma is that of tobacco only. Imagine that! I dried it to proper smoking moisture and rubbed it out to an almost shag-like consistancy. I stoked it into a Peterson #309 that I have consigned to VA blends...lit up and immediately recognized the sweet taste of Virginia tobacco...named after the state which was named in honor of the "Virgin" Queen, Elizabeth I...a quick lesson in 16th century tobacco history, for all loyal subjects of interest to the "leaf," as it were.

OK, moving on! Puffed a few times & let it sit a few minutes...I always use this DGT method on VA blends. Didn't take long to get a nicotine jolt. It is very mild but a tad harsh and has a tendency to bite a little. I wouldn't want to smoke this consistently because I like variety and a change of pace. I judge SF to be of good quality but not exceptional. SF is a very smooth, VA/Kentucky blend which I believe may have a very slight whiskey topping that is almost unnoticeable. The reason I say this is because it feels a wee bit sticky when rubbing out and the smoke DOES NOT emit a VA/Kentucky, cigarette like odor, but rather, smells a little sweet. If your preference is a very good VA/Kentucky blend, well, here you go. Therefore, IMHO, Solani's Silver Flake merits three *s!

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I don't taste the whisky in this blend that others do. I don't smell whisky in the tin, and I don't find mention of whisky on the tin or on any other online sites. The official description says no flavoring added. Anacol!

In the bag it looks like a VA flake. In the pipe, initially, it tastes like a straight VA flake, but the Kentucky quickly springs forward and becomes pretty darn spicy from mid-bowl on, but the VA sweetness persists. Sweet and powerful, one of my favorite combinations.

SF and Aged Burley Flake certainly share quality as a characteristic, but there are differences. The VAs in SF are mature, sweet and tasty, and the Kentucky is spicy. I love ABF and smoke it often. Both are cool and slow burning blends of mature tobaccos. ABF is all burley, and it doesn't have the VA depth and sweetness.

I think I could smoke SF all day without bite or throat irritation. Worth the money? To me, yes. I think it is all natural, but I could be wrong.

wildebeest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildebeest (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have only one complaint about this finely crafted tobacco blend, and that involves its packaging. For some reason, this is the only Solani tobacco that is only available in the United States in 100g tins that are not air-tight. Even Solani 633, which also comes in this type of 100g tin, is additionally available in 50g tins that can be easily cellared. I hope that Solani will remedy this discrepancy soon, as this is one of my very favorite tobaccos and I would like to cellar a great deal of it.

That issue aside, it would be difficult for me to praise Silver Flake more highly. R. L. Will has concocted a red-VA based blend with singular appeal. His combination of red Virginias and earthy dark-fired Kentucky is inspired. It's effect upon the palate is surprising and staggering. Perhaps it is the sweetness from the whiskey that marries these elements so harmoniously, but one way or another, this tobacco is undeniably delicious. Most puffs are dominated by the richness of the red VAs combined with the sweetness of whiskey, but the clincher is how the dark-fired burleys waft in with strong wisps of dank soil. Those who like red VAs would do themselves a disservice by not trying Silver Flake. Also, those who are fond of how orientals can add spice and complexity to a blend of rich Virginias may find that with Silver Flake, R. L. Will has achieved something quite similar, but in a very different way. Silver Flake has the depth and spice of a good VA/oriental mixture, but it also adds very earthy notes to that equation. Furthermore, those who have never tried dark-fired burley may find this a good place to start. Many other blends featuring this delectable ingredient may be too strong for the uninitiated.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I really really wanted to like this one, and I did...sort of. Nice medium strength, some licorice-y notes, some citrus, very little grass. Even when straight out of the tin, it was pretty good. Maybe it was best that way. Easy to rub out, burned nice and even. And that tin is cool, aesthetically speaking.

But: I always noticed some unpleasant edge to this one, sharp and bitey, no matter how wet or dry it was, or how long I let it mellow in the tin (up to 6 weeks or so). That really kind of ruined the experience for me. Understanding that this is an anomaly, particular perhaps to me, and given its obvious good qualities, I'll still give it 3 stars.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not much to say. High quality kentucky with high quality red virginia playing a very flavorful role. I've smoked this after a year of age and it only gets better, but this is a great smoke fresh out of the tin as well.

12-16-2010/8:00am: Reached for my jar of silver flake this morning to have with my second cup of coffee (after about 4 months of not enjoying this beautiful smoke). Great change from my latakia blends during this time of year. Thick & rich clouds of kentucky/virginia with a slight sweetness... Heaven... Thanks again R.W. for another great blend.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked it straight after Golden Sliced Orlik Tobacco and I will probably be unjust to it.

It contains pure RED Virginia and Kentucky. The Virginia in this blend provides a natural sweetness and honestly a nice and discreet scent in the room. This scent is due to the whiskey which unnoticeably perfumes this smoke. The broken flakes are vividly colored.

The humidity content is perfect. To feel any tongue biting you will have to smoke very nervously. The mix comes in a non-vacuum packaging.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

In a blind taste test I?m not sure I could tell you the difference between Silver Flake and Aged Burley flake. With eyes open, the silver flake comes in a 100 gram tin, the tobacco wrapped in foil as the tin isn?t tight. It?s a dark shaggy cut, as opposed to the neat organized light and dark flecked even flakes in the 50 gram aged burly. The tin aroma is the same, sweet and rich, and though silver flake is a Virginia and Burley mix, it tastes very much like aged burly flake, perhaps a little tangier from the Virginians, but it?s subtle, the melding of the two coming out in favor of the burley. It also burns as slow and cool as the aged burley flakes. I was all sorts of impressed by the aged burley flakes and am almost the exact same impressed by the Silver flake, though the packaging is not as, well, sophisticated. It?s a better value, by a buck or two, to get the Silver Flake, and if you?re a stalwart and stoic Virginian smoker looking for a change of pace, Silver Flake is probably less of shock, an easier transition, at least psychologically. I?m giving it four stars because it?s a great tobacco, but I?m a little disappointed that it?s not a completely different great tobacco from Aged Burly flake. Maybe I received a tin that was mix heavier on the burly side, I don?t know. I am close to duct taping the tin though; it?s hinged and not tight at all. Silver flake is pretty moist and probably won?t last around here long enough to dry out, but one shouldn?t depend on the tin to keep it moist.

PipeSmoker45ACP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmoker45ACP (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have been away from the pipe for a while and am now just getting back into it. Why I left I don't know. Orliks Dark Strong Kentucky was my favorite and now I can't seem to find it. Thanx to some of the reviews on here I saw SilverFlake was said to be similar and my tobacconist had some so I had to try it. Very glad I did. This stuff is incredible. I think Solani is sweeter where as Orliks had a little more tobacco taste. Both great tobaccos. Smoke SilverFlake slow and its sweet, cool, and creamy.

This is a great website.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)

This is the best VA & Burley blend I've smoked to date. It's mostly a VA, with a nice rounding of a tasty Burley. As with most VA Flakes, dry to suit & prepare to suit (I prefer to break the flakes into thin strips). The blend is tasty as a superb VA, but has the satisfying richness from the Burley. The 100g tin, from 1st bowl to last, was a consistent smoke, no matter the pipe. Also of interest, the bowl was consistent from 1st light to the bottom, no stacking up or strong concentration. Hats off to ya Mr Will & Steve M.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this in '06 while visiting Peretti's on Boston Commons. All one needs to do is read the tin description to know if this is your cuppa tea. Whomever originally listed this one might have added the "Whiskey" note under the flavoring description header...but I don't think there is any. It does well in many different pipes for me...starts nicely sweet then gradually turns solid and full of tobacco goodness. The high level of goodness here is matched by the cost. A real winner in my book. Highly recommended for the idle rich and the common man with pipe money to burn.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

This is my first sampleing from Solani. I don't know if they have a better offering. Odd sized, hinged, tin with a gold foil bag of delious tobacco inside. The moisture content of the somewhat broken flakes inside come ready to smoke. I have smoked them as is, and fully rubbed out. Both are easy to load, light, and ENJOY. Full natural flavor, slightly sweet, and no bight will be had from this well balanced blend. Can be an "all day" smoke. It will be in my rotation for now, and I have to get more tins for the cellar. RATE

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

While Silver can be compared to Dark Strong Kentucky in many ways, the the flavoring agent (whiskey) enhances the natural tobacco rather than giving it an anise note.

I'm always wary when manufacturers go a bit overboard using words such as "incredible" in descriptions of their products, but in this case the adjective is warranted.

Very easy to pack, light and smoke. Worth a try!

bigdummy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigdummy (6)
Strong Medium Full Strong

This one is fun! I originally bought this because I like 633 and I've been smoking a lot of Blackpoint lately and I thought... well - just maybe...???? ...and you know what? I was right! This is great stuff - no Perique (whine!) but the air-cured Kentucky leaf is plenty strong enough to make up for it - and then some! I can load up a huge bowl of this (like J.M.Boswell- size'o-your-fist-Dublin kinda huge!) and work up a real good sweat just getting an ember going in the bowl (I tamp that thing with a carriage bolt!) and then just kick up and pooof away with it like some kinda freakin' beach bonfire. I really love this stuff at the end of a long day with a good, hearty ale. It's strong, yeah, but still sweet from the Virginias, and smoooooooth like you wouldn't believe - but still a mite tingly on the nose like a good Perique might be ('cept it don't last all that long). I believe this has the same topping on the Virginias that the 633 has - not objectionable, but definitely noticeable and still kinda waaaay too European-sweet smelling in the bag when you first open it up - which is weird because I think 633 smells just about heavenly in the bag - but the Kentucky leaf kinda makes it too much of a good thing, I guess. It gets three stars for being such an almost perfect smoke WITHOUT having any Perique.

HoopleHead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HoopleHead (11)

I want to thank this wonderful website and it's participants for recommending this blend to me. I've been a 633 fan for quite some time now and believe it or not I've never tried any of the other Solani tins! So I was ordering 4 100's of 633 from SmokingPipes.com and needed a tad more to get me over the $75 free shipping minimum and thought, why not?

All I can say, only partway through this wonderful tin of triumph, is THANKS !!!

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's Dunhill LF without the lemon tang...yum!

Smallish Aldo Valani bent billiard.

Bob in Beijing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bob in Beijing (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of the few blends available here in China. I initially balked at its 200 Yuan, or $24.00 US price. I'm glad I trusted Mr Will's skills.

This is to pipe tobacco as Maker's Mark is to bourbon. A small batch, lovingly crafted, superb blend.

Be advised it has a nicotine kick.

And the best part is, the other half can tolerate the room note.

If I could give it 5 stars I would

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (13)

I must admit upfront that I've only smoked a few bowls of this blend and will need to give it more bowls and pipes. My initial impression, however, is that it matches much of what others have said here. What struck me most on lighting was a the stronger dark kentucky taste. Not harsh, but stronger, more pronounced, than I am used to. At mid bowl it mellowed out some and tasted smooth and the complexity came through, alternating between waves of cigarish taste and the lighter virginia. Last third it remained smooth but became darker once again.

What I liked is nice deep flavor of tabacco without the overwhelming nicotine which I seem to be sensitive to. There is a punch here (Hal O The Wynd level) but without the dizzyness I can get with Nightcap or Peterson University Flake. My SO says it smells more cigar-like, less like the lighter va that she is used to and less pleasant.

Overall, not an all day smoke for me but one to turn to when I want something richer, deeper in the evenings. A high quality blend.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

Solani Silver Flake is a great blend with two major flaws.

First the good: I really love the flavor and body. The dark-fired burley gives the sweet Virginias some depth and body. I also love the burley's contribution to the overall flavor. I like it first thing in the morning and also for the last smoke of the day; I can't say that about too many blends. I would love to be able to age this and sample it in two or three years.

However, this blend is just too expensive compared to other blends of its genre (e.g. Dark Strong Kentucky). Moreover, the packaging is second-rate. If you trust that gold foil pouch for long-term aging, I've got a bridge to sell you.

OPCElder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCElder (24)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been sampling some very good Virginias lately (Rattrays and McClelland) but Silver Flake is in a class all by itself. The offerings from Rattrays are excellent but nothing I've had so far comes close to Silver Flake. This is an outstanding tobacco and I will be putting this in my regular rotation. If you haven't tried Silver Flake yet, you owe it to yourself to give this one a go. You won't be dissagpointed.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I am surprised that so few people have sought this quality smoke... The dark-fired, spicy Kentucky has a rich honey nut taste that provides a stage for the premium Dark Red and sweet Virginia, with light Yellow Virginia to add character and dimension. Long burning and cool, when smoked slowly, it can easily be an all day smoke for those so inclined. Do not let the sweet taste of this flake mislead you - there is a bit of a nicotine load here. I believe it is best smoked indoors so as not to miss some of the subtle nuances of the smoking experience. Easily lit and tasty for the novice while offering complexities to charm and transport the experienced piper, I recommend this fine tobac to all. Here is an example of how diverse leaves can be brought together at full force of individual tastes and complement each other without collisions in a marriage of great dimension. If you miss this one, what a shame for you.

Meerschaum Man Smoking my circa ' 82 CAO Bacchus

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)

First, I believe this to be a flake tobacco that is one of the better flakes available today. Not that it is reminisiant of any of the early (1940-60)flakes, which unfortunately are no longer manufactured, but a flake within its own realm... perhaps even in its own way, adding to the definition of modern day flake cut tobaccos. Who knows at this point.

I liked this even before lighting it... the tin aroma reminded me of a Straight Virginia plug I use to smoke back in 1962 from Imperial Tobacco. If Silver Flake was in Plug form...well, it would almost be "heaven" again.

As previous reviewers have already stated, this tobacco burns well, has appropriate moisture content, and is a very satisfying smoke. I tested this at various times throughout the day and I liked it anytime I tried it. For the most part I enjoyed it in a Castello sea rock (Pipes & Tobaccos Pipe of the Year) straight stem, saddle bit, but also in a 1998 dunhill group 5 amber root straight billiard. Both these pipes I tend to reserve for my Virginia Plugs so I know there was some mingling of taste from previous smokes.

I did not detect any "whisky" flavoring at all...so, I don't know where that is coming from.

This has a great natural tobacco taste and aroma. Definitly worth a good try. An excellent all-day smoke!

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

Rudiger Will is a master blender, of that I'm sure. The introduction of Silver Flake is one of the best new tobaccos of 2005.

Appearance: A beautiful flake presentation of mixed hues of tans and brown.

Tin aroma: An amazing and complex aroma of rich hay, stewed fruits and spice. A lovely forest rich smell.

This flake arrives nearly perfect in every detail, moisture content is exactly right. As with most flakes I simply fold several flakes up and insert them directly into the chamber unmolested. This assures me a long lasting even burning smoke. For this review, I've chosen an Armellini Freehand which is quite faithful in presenting complex Virginia tobacco mixtures. I've pre-smoked several bowls over the course of a week of Silver Flake in this pipe in preparation for this review.

A one match light is brings billows of rich gray smoke, followed with a brief visit of the tamper. The deep red VA is immediately there and while a bit tangy at first becomes a nice compliment to the fine quality leaf underneath. Flavors of Red Virginia are dominant throughout, Burley chimes in with rich nut like and cigarish notes.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to building layer upon layer of complexity. The tones of forest deepen steadily as this mixture gains strength. Rich caramel tones are evident with a slowly building rich cigar like quality and I find myself relaxing ever more deeply into my stuffed chair, smiles widening across my face. I continue to marvel each time at how rich and full flavored this blend becomes. A huge benefit from such a seemingly simple mixture.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the palate is very complex, very rich, and satisfying. The tangy duet of Red VA's, and Burley with cigar like notes seem to keep expanding until suddenly tamping and repeated application of flame no longer yield any more. I am consistently surprised to find that I'm done! Well behaved and cool burning throughout, this blend is a definite all day smoking candidate. With Silver Flake, #633 and a good Balkan blend, I could retire to a desert island without regrets. This mixture provides near complete combustion every time, yielding perfectly dry white ash.

Supplemental Notes: This is a regular part of my rotation as something reached for when a Virginia and Burley mixture is craved. Absolutely a perfect smoke for anytime of the day. ** 4 full stars