A smooth, middle weight Balkan crumble cake with latakia, Turkish and red Viginia ribbon. The Syrian latakia present in the original blend has been replaced with Cyprian latakia.

Notes: Originally blended as Bum Steer.

Blended ByWilliam Serad
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Full
Tolerable, Strong
2.2

First of all I have to say I disagree with the blend description: to me this isn't a middle weight Balkan, it is a light one, both in nicotine content and in flavour. It lacks in deepness, which is what makes a Balkan a "meditative" smoke, something to smoke with attention to every detail and development. This is a good all day smoke, an easy one too: great burning, no bite at all and a clean and soft ash. Good but not exceptional.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have to say, I was a bit miffed about this purchase. I was under the impression that I was purchasing the original Longevity, but when I opened my mail to find this, there was a deep sigh.

Still, I thought, I can't wait to see that Krumble Kake. No. There's no Krumble Kake, just your familiar ribbon cut--and Perique. Even the C&D website fails to mention that..and having been on a six month Perique binge I sort of cringed to read that on the tin description.

Though I do like this stuff, and it reminds me very much of Nightcap..in taste, not appearance. There are no bright Virginias in this..it's a darker Turkish assortment that rounds out the Latakia.

Smokes cool and no bite..and the moisture level was just about right. I didn't find it to be overly wet. It's good, but even so..I wish I could have had that Latakia fix in a Syrian Krumble Kake instead of a Cyprian ribbon cut.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I have had a love affair with the original Longevity and thankfully stocked up on it to enjoy for a couple of years. hen this came out, I was hopeful that I would find a suitable replacement, but read on...

Appearance and Tin Aroma: No more crumble cake? Looks like a typical latakia blend, with the latakia as the predominant aroma in the tin. The Red Cavendish is also noticable in the tin aroma. The cut is the typical broad, medium length, ribbon that C&D is known for and the moisture was a little higher than usual.

Packing and Lighting: Very easy, lit after 1 re-light down to the ash. Miss the crumble cake, though.

Initial Flavor: Very fragrant is the only way I can think to describe it. The Latakia's curing herbs are very noticable as well as the cocoa-like Turkish notes.

Mid-Bowl: This is a lot fuller than the original Longevity with a lot more sweetness than the original. The Perique begins to tickle my throat a bit at this point.

Bottom of Bowl:Builds a considerable amount of strength. The sweetness from the Red VA Cavendish is cloying to this piper. It ends dry with dark-grey mottled ash. Definitely leaves you satiated.

Overall: I had high hopes for this blend, but this piper was disappointed. This blend didn't have the unique medium-strength flavor that drew me to the original. It actually tasted a little bloated to me and the sweetness from the red VA Cavendish seemed out of place in a Balkan, let alone, that I found it cloying. I suppose the Syrian of the original made the difference. I won't be purchasing any more tins of this blend and will gaurd carefully my stash of the original.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

A decent Balkan blend without being anything outstanding. It burns cool enough and delivers good flavor, but it really wasn't anything to write home about so to speak. I would smoke it again, but I doubt I would buy it.

indyf1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
indyf1 (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

Smoky, smoky, smoky. Did I say smoky? This blend could be used instead of mesquite to flavor my next barbecue. I confess that I'm normally an aromatic smoker, and I like an occasional English or Balkan as a change of pace. This works in that regard, but the smokiness overpowers the rest of the flavors. It's visually appealing and has a good moisture content right out of the can. But, I just can't handle the spicy/smoky influence of the English & Balkans. I will say, however, that this tobacco smokes very cool -- no tongue bite at all. But until I graduate from the aromatics, this will only be a rare deviance, and I won't be replacing it in my rotation.

As I smoke this, I see myself huddled in oiled animal skins, bracing against the Arctic cold with my sled dogs. White is everywhere -- sky, ground, and ice. My tent ripples with the constant wind, but my hand is warm in my mitten, clutching the smoldering briar. Dinner, like breakfast, will be fish or jerky. Coffee would be nice, but I don't want to leave my tent right now. The smoky enclosure helps me forget about the cold outside . . . .