Larry Loerzel, one of our regular store customers, and connoisseur of English/Balkan blends had tried Ten to Midnight, and although he liked it, he was looking for something a little fuller and different. Based on his preference, we blended a full, traditional Balkan using Orientals that were more buttery and amped-up the Latakia. This blend is now a big hit among our full-bodied English fans; a cool-smoking, very rich mixture.

BrandHearth & Home
Taste

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a fantastic Balkan. We're talking the equal of Abingdon as far as I'm concerned, and it is a testament that despite how prolific Russ is, he is capable of putting a timeless classic together.

I have a Charatan pot that has never seen anything but this blend, and it's a magic combination. This blend has the biggest sour note outside of Peretti's Cambridge Flake I've ever smoked. I say note, because unlike the original Balkan Sobranie which had a complexity of sour images, this one has one big, fantastic sour note. Like Cambridge Flake does. I don't think this is a function of the Orientals, I think it's the Latakia. I say this because SG Commonwealth is capable of conjuring sour notes, and there isn't a shred of Oriental in it. I think the big sour note some of us love is a Latakia deal, whereas Orientals are more likely to produce bitter, herbal notes.

Speaking of Latakia, this is quite full. Just on the edges of Lat bomb territory, but I've always been fuzzy on what constitutes a Lat bomb. Seems pretty subjective to me.

Those are my somewhat disjointed thoughts on this blend. Big, sour, packed with flavor, never scorching the palate. This is a really good Lat blend for a large pipe on a cold evening. One of my top five Lat blends and a winter favorite for me.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an outstanding blend. Well balanced and spicy. Full of wonderful flavors. The deeper into the bowl you get the more satisfying it becomes. If you like Balkans you must try this.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Second Russ Oulette blend for me, the 1st being Anniversary Cake, which was terrible. This, however, is a blend fantastic.

The tin note is Latakia forward, and the consistency is of grossly irregularly cut shag? No kidding, there were pale blonde Va leaf in there six inches long-I measured. It was drier than I like, and if it lasted long enough I'd have to throw in a humidisc. It won't last that long though.

This stuff is rich, sweet and buttery, it doesn't burn hot and although it seems laborious to get established-from a fire-it-up perspective, it burns cool and slow. Sweetness to a nice soury taste, all in the same bowl.

Well done, well done indeed. Wonderful stuff.

Pipe Used: Dedicated Balkan Savelinelli 9mm

Age When Smoked: Fresh order

Purchased From: P&C.com

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

From the description offered by H&H I was concerned about just how dark and heavy this blend was going to be. The reviews were quite positive, though some reviewers labeled it as a "lat bomb". Now that I have smoked this wonderful blend, I must disagree with that epithet - I have smoked some lat bomb blends in my day and this isn't one of them.

On opening the tin you are greeted not only with a wonderful english blend aroma, but the sight of a well-blended mixture of various browns, blacks and some lighter leaves. I knew from long experience with english blend smoking that this was not the aroma nor the appearance of a "lat bomb".

When I was just starting to discover english blends (in the early sixties) every smoke shop (and there were many of them in those days) had a blend like this in their line up of bulks. It usually could be found down toward the stronger end of their englishes; but not all the way down to the end - that was reserved for blends that were much darker in color with lots of black leaf and with mind-blowing heavy latakia aromas.

So, when I opened my first tin of Larry's blend it was like finding a long lost friend - familiar and missed but now close and warm. I thoroughly enjoyed smoking this tobacco and knew that I would be ordering more for smoking and aging in my stash. It smokes round and soft with a warm toastyness that comes from skillful blending with a range of brown middle tobaccos that give it depth. How anybody could label this blend as a latakia bomb is beyond me. Larry's Blend is the epitomy of a medium/heavy english blend - one of the best I have ever smoked. I love it - four enthusiastic stars.

Pipe Used: Ashton and Parks

Age When Smoked: 1 year old

Similar Blends: many shop blends from the past.

Kylena Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kylena (4)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Larry's Blend is an amazing blend for me (Thanks Russ and Larry!). Well, I think some members here described this blend well. But, this is my opinion: -Smooth, full-bodied, sour, creamy, buttery, spicy, earthy and smokey. -Cool and no bite. Perfect until the end of the bowl. Drives me to inhale the smoke. But there is a lot of powder in the tin. Still, it deserves 4-star rating!

Pipe Used: English Clay Pipe

Age When Smoked: <1 year

Purchased From: RanStobacco (Bandung-Indonesia)

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I packed a pipe and set it aside for an hour to dry. I gravity packed the pipe loosely, using a large Nording freestyle briar, which has an exceptionally easy draw, but...

The good: Packs easily. Lights and stays lit well. Large volume of smoke. No noticeable nicotine sucker punch. Can be bought relatively cheaply in bulk. Burnt to a salt and pepper ash, which literally fell out of the bowl cleanly, leaving zero dottle.

The bad: Burnt my tongue. Smoked a little hot. Taste was an uninspiring monotone. Always on back-order.

This is not a bad tobacco blend, but there are just so many tobaccos on the market today, which are superior and easier to obtain. i.e., Black House, Mississippi River, Plum Pudding, Frog Morton, etc.

I bought eight ounces based on all the glowing reviews. I will load a bowl of this occasionally, but after the tobacco has been consumed, I don't see myself ordering more. Maybe aging will improve the situation - we'll see.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Larry's Blend is a welcome contribution to the long line-up of English / Balkan mixtures available to the discerning piper.

Smooth, mild but full of flavour, it really gets moving about half way into the pipe, and the orientals start to play their role. Not too much Latakia, but it is there as a kind of brass section (trombones and tuba, not Louis Armstrong's trumpet).

A real work of art from the fine hand of Russ Ouellette.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

This was quite dry out of the bag, just the way I like it. Packed very easily, almost a gravity fill because the dryness discouraged tamping. It burns beautifully and does not require relights.

This is a rich, delicious blend and I will certainly buy more. It's more earthy than Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme or 965, and when I say earthy I mean dirt, like the rich black soil I planted my tomatoes in last week. It's a big mouthful of taste for those times when I'm in the mood for a more raw, back to nature experience, while BS and 965 will remain my choices for a smoother and creamier smoke. Get a bunch of this stuff and put it away for while!

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (110)

Cool burning, buttery and smooth - Yes! Excellent spice delivery, with floral notes on the retrohale. Pleasant smoked spiciness lingers on the palate post smoke. 4*.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: Unknown, purchased this month

Purchased From: P&C

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have been smoking Ten to Midnight, which has come to be more of an oriental blend to me because that's what stood out of all the components. Larry's blend is an adjustment to that blend which I like much better. There is a sweetness to go with the smoky latakia which I really enjoy. This is a top notch balkan blend in my book, and is now a nightly smoke for me when I get home. Highly recomended

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Sorry to come late on this... what a miss !!! Kind of a fabulous and unique Latakia blend, extremely "creamy" and palatable... worth a whole symphony of praise ! However, to keep it short... just buy it, smoke it, and fully enjoyment is with you !

Pipe Used: Moretti, Reiner Thilo

Age When Smoked: <1 year

Purchased From: Ample sample from a good friend

Similar Blends: ...almost inimitable !.

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (12)
Very Mild None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Nice smooth creamy sublime balkan that can be smoked more often than the cruder rubber burners that prevail. First impression upon lighting up, oh my. Yes, that aha moment when you know you have a potential 4 star winner on your hands. It put a smile on my face. No detectable nicotine.

Pipe Used: medium bulldog

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is my favorite H&H blend very good tobacco the only problem I have with Larry's blend is the quality of the tobacco some times it seems trampled and there is a lot of powder in the tin this has happened to me on several occasions out of several tins so I can only give it 3 stars

Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I love Latakia but this is a little much for me. I would call this one a Latakia bomb. I can taste a little oriental but it is not delicate enough to let much of any thing come through except Latakia. A heavy handed mixture to me but I am sure some will love it.

portugesepride Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
portugesepride (7)

I'm new to pipe tobacco, and I'll admit I was intimidated by Larry's Blend when I first got it. It stunk up the rest of the blends I got in the order and I hadn't tried anything nearly as strong as it seemed. I finally got around to trying it and I have to say it has been a satisfying blend of flavors. Very cool. I got a nice nicotine bump towards the end of the bowl. Smoked well all the way to the end. Will be enjoying the rest of the 2 oz bag and looking forward to ordering an 8 oz tin of it.

JakeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeMan (7)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Bought it. Tried it. Gave me a headache. Threw it in the garbage. Nuff said

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This came as a small ribbon, mottled leaning toward dark in color with a bag aroma of latakia and sweet orientals. Quite enticing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to extract this buttery quality that the orientals are purported to provide. This blend smoked extremely bitter, far from creamy, and very murky. There was some nice flavor from the latakia, but it seemed to me that too much of that condiment was used... which is silly because that's sort of the point!

Any complexity was hard to follow because this dusty, dirty flavor was a bit overbearing. The room note is guaranteed to make all non-pipers flee. It smoked cool and with little nicotine, and I get the impression that there's a good blend hiding somewhere in there... hiding from ME, at any rate... because this one seems to score high marks. And I do seem to struggle with a lot of blenders "lat bomb" tobacco blends. Consequently, I recommend this to anyone seeking such a blend with the codicil that I don't review tobaccos per se, but how much or how little they mesh with my taste buds. A small distinction, perhaps, but critical. And I do believe I'll let Larry have my share of this one.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Nice tobacco enjoyed it, only problem was inconsistent bowl to bowl due to separation of the individual tobaccos in the mix it would be nicer if it stayed blended.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad, I was expecting a sort of Blackhouse "light", but instead this is altogether different. Much less complex than BH, with very little nicotine. OK in a pinch, but there are much better English blends available.

baileyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
baileyboy (3)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This was my first balkan, and all i can say is whew! It is smokey as holey hell. When i got the package in the mail i could smell this stuff through the box. It comes packaged real dry, packs decently yet burns really badly. The flavor is somewhat buttery and smooth, with some serious smokiness and earthy-ness. There are also some floral twinges here and there as well which provides some nice complexity.

The finish however is somewhat bitter. And the constant relites certainly dont help it at all. By halfway through a MM cob, there is just too many relites, that the flavor really goes south.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Bulk Blend Smack Down: This is a good bulk buy. What stands out about this is the bang for the buck. For roughly 2.30/oz your getting a smoke that rivals many 4.00+ tins. A big buttery lat. bomb. Nice smoke...not really any extra complexity...maybe a bit. The Nightcap matches are better and a dollar/oz cheaper.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

HokieGeek was spot on: "smokey and spicy without being overwhelming." I love the combination of VA/Lat/Oriental, and this blend really sings. Reminds me of another all-time favorite, Good Morning by C&D. Larry's Blend differs from GM in that Larry's Blend is smoother, mellower, and less sharp than Good Morning. There's a "tanginess" to this blend and Good Morning that I really enjoy.

GM is great with morning coffee, LB is great all day long.

No bite, easy to light and enjoy. One of my favorites.

smokinsailor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinsailor (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm new to pipe smoking and wasnt quite sure what to expect when I ordered Larry's Blend. Had it mailed to the ship and it arrived while at sea. I could smell the tabacco through the box before being opened. The smell was a reminder of smoked mushrooms. I must admit, I was a little apprehensive at first, after all my stateroom was overwhelmed with the aroma. Upon first lighting, I knew this blend would be excellent. The flavor was complex and eventful with no tongue bite. The aroma while being smoked lightened up considerably and was (by wife standards) tolerable. As i continue to smoke more of this blend I am amazed by it's taste.

Emil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emil (8)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is an outstanding Balkan blend. To me, this is a mild tobacco. But the taste is absolutely phenomenal, and slow sipping is highly rewarded; Im surprised every time of how unique a taste it has. I wonder if its the Orientals used in this that makes Larry´s Blend so special to me, it makes my pipe sing everytime.

The rough cut is perfect for me, it smokes very cool and without even the slightest bite. Good progression in the bowl, never boring and never harsh. My favorite Balkan by far!

A Northern Breed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Northern Breed (16)

This excellent entry by Russ Ouelette of Hearth and Home Tobacco is just that: excellent. I could not, however, give this four stars, simply because of the cut of the tobacco. It is a coarse cut which has given me trouble with the packing of it, and I cannot smoke it in some of my pipes because I simply cannot pack it properly to prevent tobacco from being sucked into the shank and causing blockage. Other than that, it's all excellence, but I felt that this deserved mention as it is a rather important issue, practically speaking.

I had heard so many good things about Hearth and Home and about Russ that I decided to try this, especially because I favor Balkans, and especially Balkans with some punch to them. This one delivers, big time. The nicotine level is how I like it: nice and high. Not overwhelmingly high, but high enough that you don't feel the need to smoke another bowl of it once you're done. That's important to me.

The taste is as described on the tin: rather buttery, and "amped-up" with latakia. It is perfect with regard to the amount of each component tobacco that is used. It is just so well done; as with any good English or Balkan, the tobaccos all harmonize, rather than each one singing in a different key. Occasionally the latakia would really pop in and say hello, but overall, probably due to the quality of the Orientals used, this tobacco is clearly blended by a modern day master. Russ, if you didn't know, won the competition where several different blenders attempted to recreate Sobranie 759, judged by his peers. I never had 759, but I imagine Russ did it justice, and then some.

Really, you would be doing yourself an injustice to skip this one if you like Balkans. Even if you are decidedly an English smoker, try this; it might turn you on to the Balkan genre. Now if only the cut was similar to, say, 1820 or the current Dunhill ribbon cut, I would be much happier, but I guess one cannot expect perfection at all times. Still, very much recommended.

EDIT: I can't even believe my eyes when I read my old reviews sometimes, that's the trouble with doing this. Anyhow, I have upped my rating to four stars, and this blend would get five if I could. It is in my "top five favorites tobaccos on Earth" list. I just ordered half a pound of it in bulk from pipesandcigars.com. Seriously, to not try this should be a crime against tobacco. Do not hesitate.

Also, maybe I shouldn't say anything, but to the guy who said this is an in-your-face aromatic similar to Paladin Black Cherry... are you sure you're smoking the right Larry's Blend? There is absolutely no flavoring in this tobacco whatsoever.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (18)
Strong Strong Full Strong

This is an incredible old school tobacco. It is rich, full, and strong. It has a punch but it is enjoyable.

It is also one of the most aromatic tobaccos I have ever smoked. It is as in your face as is Paladin's Black Cherry.

They may have actually smoked the latakia over camel dung for this one. The orientals are also especially pungent.

A great tobacco for everday use. Tasty and complex yet available to be enjoyed by anyone. Highly recommended

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

One of my definite favourites. Got this as part of a sampler from P&C, beautifully nice smell from the pouch. T

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A great blend - meets the description spot-on. Buttery, cool, and full taste. Not quite as sweet as Stonehaven but definitely in the same category for me. The sweetness of the VA comes through but is nicely balanced by the other components - Latakia is present but did not blow my doors off. My best results: aired a while on paper and then packed inverted into a large-bowl Wellington with a slight air gap. Also smokes great in a long-stem cherry pipe. Highly recommended.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (18)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I am a 'hard core' smoker of "latakian" tobaccos and this mixture has won me a of the first pipe! There is not much philosophy; premium Latakia, slightly vrginia to mix the 'body' and Orientals to spice up the whole thing! It is full blown, rich and powerful blend of English and I recommend everyone who likes the rich taste of a very specific real 'old fashioned' English blend! Highly recommendable! Respect to Mr. Larry Loerzel and Russ Oulette!

boogieman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boogieman (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Strong

This is an amazing smoke! If you wan't to try a Burley-free English, you can't go wrong with this. Very pleasant smoke! My wife doesn't like the smell, she says it's not strong but smells bad. Good thing I have a basement!

I have recently realized I don't like Burley. I thought it was English blends I didn't like, but I love the ones without Burley! Very clean earthy taste.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (29)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Larry's Blend is an awesome Balkan blend. It smokes extremely well - is complex and has a wonderful buttery, full bodied, smokey taste.

There is a merde de cheval (aka horse manure) kind of aroma and taste - which is definitely gamey. So - I would recommend this to all lovers of fine European wines or smelly cheeses. Personally, I like gamey or funky flavors - so this one is an absolute winner for me.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

(Original review, see revised below)-Weird, that's what I think of this one. Upon lighting, I got a strong taste of MOLD ???? So much so, I wrote Pipes & Cigar's, Russ Ouellette, to ask if he had a problem. Russ graciously wrote back explaining that it is the high quantity of Smyrna leaf used that gave me that taste. He recommended trying Armada, which is around the same strength, but with different Orientals which are brighter in flavor.

Updated 9/14, Just tried a tin of McCellands Grand Orientals: Smyrna No.1, I love it and no mold!!!!

Updated 9/17/11, Had to try LB again after trying the McC's Smyrna #1, Yes, I get it now, the oriental Smyrna is really out front and as long as I don't THINK, "mold" , it is great, earthy. I think the description threw me off, I don't find the Latakia or Virginia that strong in comparison to the Orientals , Oriental is totally out front, sweet provolone cheeze. I also find this very similar in taste ( same Orientals) to C&D "Orient Express", but smoother. I believe the Perique in "OE" gives it a little nip ,but it also is slightly more flavorful than Larry's blend.I really feel that Ten to Midnight has more Latakia,unlike the description indicates. I really have to bump this to 3 stars.

PS Wife hates the smell,I'll make this a regular !

2/28/13- I had some "Black House" yesterday and I find the two very similar. BH might have more Latakia and flavor but it doesn't burn as well as LB, I also tried "Ambassador's blend" and I like that better than LB. It has the same flavor but the Smyrna is toned down some.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)

Well that was a wonderful morning smoke! I'm really starting to like Latakia blends and this one is firmly into the realm of one of my favorite smokes to date. It was smokey and spicy without being overwhelming. I experienced absolutely no tongue bite and I was able to smoke every single strand of leaf down to the bottom of the bowl without noticing an issue. This was a lot of fun and I really need more of it!

FrankBurns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FrankBurns (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've only been smoking a pipe for a couple of years. About a year ago I bought several samples from pipesandcigars.com. One of those was Larry's Blend because of the good reviews found here. I find it quite pleasant and a nice smoke. It was my first blend with Latakia in it and found it wasn't too strong for my palate. I like the smokiness “campfire” smell and taste. The wife just says “It's ok”, which means she doesn't like it. I now have bought several different Latakia blends that I have stored in my office. The smell of Scotch and tobacco leaves no doubt this is a “Man Cave”.

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Yuch! I think that just about describes this blend. They should rename it Larry's Butt, but that's just me. Im no a latakia liker, and I hate licorice, maybe that has something to do with it. In the bag it smells like burnet rubber, and lit it smells like an electrical fire. The smoke is harsh and after about 15 puffs I had a mild soar throat. This is worst than Balkan Supreme by Peter S. You can read my opinion on that one also.

I really can't understand why latakia blends get the highest reviews here. As I have mentioned before, reviewing tobacco is useless, because one mans trash is another man treasure.

To be fair, I tried this in a new cob, and a semi new briar. The cob was more tolerable however.

I think Larry should find a new career, and stay away from blending anything.

= BIG UPDATE = One year later... I love this stuff. I really don't know what happened to my taste buds, must have adjusted, since I had never been a smoker. I did not give up and kept at it, and after being a pipe smoke for a year, I have come to LOVE latakia blends. I now prefer English blends and don't like aromatics as much. I would absolutely discourage any new pipe smoker from trying anything but mild aromatics until your taste buds adjust and you acquire a taste for stronger tobaccos. Or else you will hate everything you try. I guess you have to learn to swim first, before you try the deep end. Happy smoking.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Very smooth, tasty English blend. This is medium bodied blend but the latakia does but not overwhelm the mix. An enjoyable all day smoke. While this blend is very good in taste, smoking and quality, it ultimately lacks that special something that would push it into the four star catergory for me.

Pike Mopers III Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pike Mopers III (6)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

MMMMMMM. This is a superb blend. I grew interested in latakia after sampling Shortcut to Mushrooms as one of my first pipe tobaccos. I bought Larry's Blend since it was so highly rated here and I was already placing an order at pipesandcigars. I am so glad I got a sample of this tobacco! The Virginia and latakia blend beautifully together and the oriental is an excellent bonus to the flavor. Very complimentary flavors. Extremely enjoyable smoke. Great with a book out in the sun!

Bierstadt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bierstadt (8)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

As a confirmed english/balkan lover I expected to really like this blend. However, I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent blend but it did not distiguish itself from others in any way. In fact, if I did not know what I was putting in my pipe I would think this to be any number of blends. It taste very much like PS Balkan Supreme to me. I know that it is not the same blend but they are very close to one another.

I also am almost positive I detect McClelland blending tobacco's in Larry's blend. This is not a bad thing on its own. It is just that I have blended baccy's almost identical to this blend myself with available blending tobaccos.

I consider this a medium english with moderate nic content. Larry's blend is good but can't stand next to the great powerhouses of the current english world... 965, Odyssey, Penzance, Margate, and Balkan Sasieni. I'm giving it three stars, but barely.

Personal rating: 7 out of 10

Tobacco Reviews rating: 3 stars

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

I first tried this as a sample at the 2010 Chicago Pipe Show. The next morning I bought four tins. I have rarely "liked" a blend as quickly as this one. I appreciated the taste and smoke-ability of this blend right from the first bowl. I like Latakia blends and English blends, so this is a natural for me. This is not the strongest mixture I have ever tasted, and that is good. I tend to smoke this as a first pipe in the morning before turning to other blends like Maltese Falcon or Frog Morton. I highly recommend this blend for Latakia/English/Balkan smokers.

8/16/11 I still love this blend. So far have purchased 4 pounds in bulk. because I taste it as a great medium Latakia blend, I find that it is perfect blend for hot weather.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)

Larry's blend is a super tasty English/Balkan I highly recommend it!

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is some truly delicious stuff IFF (if and only if) you like a full flavored English/Balkan tobacco. The latakia is not overwhelming, as the description might lead you to believe, but it is strongly felt. It blends in just right with the Virginias and Orientals, each making its presence fully known without there being a battle for supremacy. Even though it is full flavored it does not seem to have a very high nicotine level, which is why I don't rate it as a particularly strong tobacco. (The common idea that for tobacco to have a strong flavor it has to be high in nicotine is a fallacy.)

I have tried to make this stuff bite and failed. It is one of the very few tobaccos I can say that about. I have never smoked any other tobacco that was so flavorful yet so gentle on the tongue and palate.

An earlier reviewer noted the smell of horse dung, in a positive light. He is correct. I note4d the same thing from the first time I smoked it (before reading his review), and was relieved to find that it was obviously not just my imagination. It is not a detraction from the smoke at all. It is not only quite appropriate but enhances the experience. HOWEVER – and this is something you'll need to consider if you don't live on an island all by yourself – anyone who does not like this tobacco will think it stinks to high heaven. Imagine the Warner Brothers' cartoons of people reacting to Pepe le Pew entering a restaurant. On the other hand, if you want to insure your own 'personal space' just light up a bowl of this stuff.

Personally this would make for a great all day smoke (if my situation allowed). It's a front-porch-smoke for me. I can't recommend it highly enough.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is the most beautiful expression of latakia I have yet had the privilege to enjoy. It's all there - the richness, the creaminess, the smokiness, and that incredible and elusive horse manure aroma and flavor that peeks through when everything is just right. If that sounds disgusting, allow me to assure you that it is the je ne sais quoi that makes this tobacco so deep, rich, and enjoyable. Anthony Hanson of Christie's wine department wrote "Great burgundy smells of s*." F'neh.

This is gooood stuff. This is refinement and the life of the mind married to good old fashioned hillbilly smackdown. This is "do you like it rough?" This is Daniel Craig as James Bond. This is Mary, Queen of Scots with a Claymore. Hell, this stuff is James Clerk Maxwell.

Larry's lights and burns great. It bites very little, burns nice and cool, and is a tremendous pleasure to smoke. The orientals contribute a beautiful floral component, and just in case it sounded as if the latakia is overpowering, it is not. It's just there in all of its glory. If you dream of having your own pirate ship complete with casks of rum, cutlasses, and lots of stale sweat, get this. It is killer.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

At first glance, the appearence of Larry's blend looks like it's going to be really strong latakia bomb. However, I find it to be very smooth and cool burning. Currently it is one of my favorite Balkans. The flavor is full and somewhat smokey but not totally dominated by the latakia. The balance of the Orientals and the Latakia really make for wonderful dance partners. Add in the very fair price from Pipes and Cigars and Larry's should be part of every Balkan smoker's rotation. Highly recommended!

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just got my order form PipesandCigars.com. I ordered the Hearth and Home sampler. Talk about cheap prices and fast shipping. They even tossed in an extra sample. Anyway, back to the tobacco...

I opened the bag and it smelled great and looked like all the other English style tobacco I have tried. It packed easily and took no time to get lit. Once lit I was awarded with wonderful flavors and a nice smoke texture. Creamy, buttery, smooth all describe it. I love the teture of th smoke and would smoke it just for that alone. But it has a nice flavor that I will keep coming back to.

For the price I have paid for others this one is a definite winner.

Jan. 30,2010 This has become my good to all day tobacco. I just purchased more from 4noggins. I love the cool mild flavors and I could sit puffing this all day.....wait...I have! Enjoy!

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I've been smoking through a 4oz bag for the last six weeks, and have come to like this very much. It presents as a very dark, finely chopped mixture of ribbon and slightly broader flakes, and does have some fines but not an excessive amount. Aroma in the bag is lovely, rich with Latakia.

Because of the very dark appearance, I expected a flavor wallop on light-up. It didn't happen. There is, instead, a surpisingly mild, full English taste, without any Latakia overload. As the bowl progresses, the Latakia is a little more evident, but never as prominent as I thought it would be. The Orientals are more sweet and rich than herbal, not astringent at all, and seem well chosen to balance and smooth out the flavors. VAs take a back seat on this one.

Overall Larry's Blend is a very nice, very English smoke, and reminds me a little of McClelland's British Woods but without the super rich VA's. It did have a tendency to smoke a little hot, and because of the fine cut care must be taken not to over-tamp. Overall, this is a very tasty full English and worth a try for any fan of the genre.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)

This is a scruptious blend that smokes a bit hot. I will add this to my rotation because it is unique among many similar blends. 96 out of 100

TheologianPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheologianPiper (1)

I smoke English/Balkan blends exclusively. I don't like straight Virginia's and or Cavendish very much, I much prefer Latakia and Oriental and therefore; I enjoy this blend immensely.

The pouch smell is absolutely awesome, I can't get enough of it. I find that Larry's blend packs easily, but takes a few matches to get going. I don't dry it out, I just stick my pipe in my pouch and scoop away and pack, scoop away and pack. I find that once I get it burning good, I don't have to relight.

This blend is very smooth, cool and easy to smoke, but it isn't bland. I enjoy reading and or writing while I'm smoking and this blend is very suitable for that purpose. With the pipe in my mouth, I can puff away without worry of the smoke being too overbearing or irritating. It has a wonderful aroma and in my opinion a really good after taste. The Virgina note is far in the background on both during smoking and on the finish and aftertaste, which is what I like. The tobacco's used seem to me to be of a very good quality. So far I've been very satisfied with Hearth and Home Tobacco's.

My regular rotation, along with Larry's Blend, includes; Penzance, Abingdon, Odyseey and Westminster.

Cancerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cancerman (13)

Well here goes nothin, I'm a brand new smoker and have only tried four blends so far (the Victory Lap Sampler). I smoked them all in the same pipe so I bought a brand new pipe and tried my first bowl of Larry's Blend in my Larry's Blend dedicated pipe. I don't have much to compare to, but here's what I think so far.

When first lit the smoke was very mild. About halfway through the bowl the smoke gets much more rich and the latakia taste becomes just wonderful, like I'm standing next to a barbeque with ribs on the grill. I should have stopped at half a bowl but decided to smoke it down to the last, that's when things turned south a bit. I'm not sure if it was the tobacco or my brand new pipe with the first bowl of tobacco, but the taste became harsh and rather bitter, perhaps it was the briar wood burning LOL. I stopped at half a bowl everytime on my other pipe and had a very pleasant experience with all of my tobaccos, even Larry's blend, perhaps my bowl just needs some conditioning, and I'll probably stop at half to 2/3 of a bowl and dump the rest from here on out.

I have to say that this is probably an aquired taste, i.e., the smokiness of the latakia. When I first opened the zip lock bag I was afraid to smoke it because the smell was so strong LOL. But the taste isn't nearly as strong as the smell of the tobacco. I do like the fullness of it, much fuller than Trout Stream.

By the way, I'm still tasting what seems like wood about an hour after smoking, I'm almost positive that I burned the wood on my pipe a little which made the end of the bowl a bit nasty. I'm giving four stars and blaming the bad taste at the end on my burnt pipe LOL.

By the way, I ordered two ounces of this, and recieved another small sampler with my second order, both were beautiful ribbon cuts, not swept up crumbs like other reviewers stated below. My tobacco was nice and fluffy, no small bits at all.

=================== Here's an update, I smoked another bowl and was very gentle at the bottom of the bowl. No burnt pipe taste at all, very nice taste that lasted for hours! Four stars all the way. In fact I just ordered a pound of this delicious weed!

Gun Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gun Smoke (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Hmmmmmm. Well, gosh darn I'm slightly disappointed. No, actually very disappointed. From all the glorious reviews; I was expecting some kind of Latakia / Oriental powerhouse. For me, the Latakia seemed very light for a blend of this genre. But the taste is indeed fantastic.

A reviewer below me stated that Larry's Blend was something along the line of My Mixture 965. I respectfully disagree. My goodness gracious not even close to a Dunhill blend.

The most annoying thing about it, is that the leaves are chopped up into tiny little pieces. I swear ( or duly affirm ) with seal affixed before a magistrate, that it looks just like the tobacco leftovers and dust swept up off the floor. Is this a joke? Ribbon cut? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

The tobacco pieces are so small that they get sucked through the stem, and you find yourself having to spit dottle out for several minutes. With so much praise you would think that someone would have taken the time to make a standard and industry acceptable cut in any form. Not the case here. I would have easily given this blend four stars based on taste, but the presentation and smoking qualities are subpar.

I sincerely do not mean to come off as snide. I'm honestly a really good natured guy. But really gentlemen and ladies - I think the MAIN reason why this gets so much attention is simply that it is not cost prohibitive. That is... cheap.

You know the old cliche.

DaveS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveS (11)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Best full latakia blend I've ever smoked. Not very complex, but extremely satisfying. Love it.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is what PS Balkan Supreme aspires to be when it grows up ...

I've generally been disappointed with Hearth and Home blends, especially in comparison with similar offerings from other blenders. It not that these are bad mixtures, by any means -- they just don't agree with me. In any case, Larry's Blend is the big exception.

This is a very nice Balkan, one that manages to capture what is best about both Odyssey and Abingdon yet costs far less. It's sweet, powerful, and keeps the latakia at the forefront (where it should be). It burns well, cool, and has little or no bite. It does lack complexity, and instead of the shifting high notes and spices that grace similar mixtures by GL Pease this blend has a sustained "buttery" flavor. This is far better than most blends that are labeled "balkans," and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone who appreciates -- or wants to appreciate -- this kind of mixture. One caveat: Larry's Blend seems very young when shipped, and I aged this batch for a year before smoking.

Country Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Piper (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

When 965 became unavaliable I started to shop for a replacement blend. After reading the reviews on Larrys blend I decided to order 8 oz and try it. After several bowls I really like this stuff. I find it heavier than 965 but very managable. This tobacco is coarse and somewhat difficult to pack ( at least my first 8 oz is ). Despite this it is a fine tobacco and smokes great down to the very last. Dont know if I would smoke this all day but it is a great after dinner treat. I will be ordering more and will " jar some up " for future use.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

Well the smell hints of a spring morning campfire. My "Room Note" assessor is an ex- firefighter and loves this one's room aroma and describes it as lusciously rich and smokey.

Smokes smooth all they way down staying smokey and rich throughout. Never overwhelmed or saturated my taste-buds, but that is a personal consideration. Smokey, buttery and spice filled this is a great smoke. Like the occasional heaping platter of juicy, hot, smokey barbeque pork, this has it's place in a regular rotation. At least here it does!

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I purchased a sampler from pipesandcigar dot com along with a pipe a few weeks back, including ten to midnight and Larry?s blend. I bought these two specifically because of the rave reviews on this site. I tried ten to midnight first because the description of Larry?s blend was that Larry wanted something a bit stronger. Ten to midnight impressed the hell out of me. Larry?s blend is bit stronger; a bit more bottom heavy with the Latakia, an incredible smoke. Comparisons to Dunhill?s 965 as Murrays made it are an unfair comparison, Larry?s blend is superior, richer, more interesting, better leaf and better blend IMHO. I continue to be impressed with Russ O?s skill as a blender of tobacco.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

After trying this fine blend in a couple different pipes, I must admit this is quite a fine mixture. I can't really add to what has been said on a positive side for this blend, except that it is slow burning, cool and the taste is very good and there is no tongue bite. In my sampling, there doesn't seem to be as much as expected of the dust and small pieces complained about below. The moisture level seems pretty spot on.

1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1 (8)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Dear Mr. Loerzel and Mr. Ouellette,

All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you for what I consider to be a masterpiece of tobacco ingenuity. Excellent blend. Need I say more?

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

What a great Balkan! Although Latakia is the frontman, all credit goes to amazing dark Virginias that give this mixture a richness that most Balkan don't achieve. Sweet, velvety and smoky is all you can think while enjoying this tobacco.

Ageing is recommended. I will buy a pound or two and leave it at the back of my cellar.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

Nicely done Mr. Ouellette. An English/Balkan done with a ?Pease? touch, in that Orientals don?t overpower the mixture. Not only a refreshing change of pace, but I can envision some who would smoke this all day. Can't add this to the 4 star catagory, but I like it very much.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

For what seems to be a simple blend, this baccy gives me a complex set of tastes and odors. It has a full bodied taste, mild to medium aroma, and mixed complexities between the Latakia and Virginia. Don't know if I received a normal batch, but the Latakia in this is heavier than I have ever experienced in a blend. Actually found balls about twice the size of BBs that I had to rub out to get the stuff to mix and pack properly. Man, what A taste.

Niceties: The delivered moisture was about right, just dried it out about an hour and it lights and stays lit with no fuss; easy on the draw and nice to sip on; never gets too hot or bites; smokes all the way down with no gurgles or over powering increase in strength. Although it gets stronger near the bottom, it remains pleasant and manageable.

I like everything about this blend. The taste is great and hangs in there without having to chug on it. This has become one of my mainstays and is one of my top blends. Highly recommended, even for beginners. I just hope that my current batch is representative and the next order will be as satisfying.

cbd2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbd2 (10)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

After a long while of searching for a tobacco blend that would be my "go to", everyday smoke, I've found it in "Larry's Blend". Although the name does not suggest any comparisons to fine wines, it is like a fine wine inn that there are nuances of tastes that, blended together, make a full-bodied smoke with the smokyness of Latakia and the subtle sweetness of the orientals and, I suspect, some piquant zest and spiciness of the Virginias.

I really cannot do full justice to this fine blend with words - if you've not tried it, give it a shot and I think you'll be pleased if not ecstatic.

The "tin description" is spot on, with a few additional comments...

My bulk pouch arrived in good shape - no crumbles or dust, and with just the right moisture content. I've smoked the blend in four different pipes of various bowl sizes and find that it smokes cool in all with no vicious bite at all detected.

One caveat - the "room note". I smoke on the 'smoking patio' at my nursing home and the rest of the smokers there are cigarette smokers who have castigated me time and again about the "foul odor" produced by Larry's Blend. I don't detect a foul odor at all it but others, in my experience, do, so be forewarned.

Four flaming matches! Er, stars!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Okay, there IS some kind of flavoring in this tobacco. The predominant taste was sweetened Latakia with the Virginia leaf giving the blend some strength (although not a lot), and the orientals giving balance to the Latakia and Virginia.

It smokes slow and provides gobs of smoke. It also burned a little hot for me. Unique as far as Latakia blends go and I'm not sure yet whether I like it or not. Three bowls of a tobacco usually tells me what I want to know, but not this time. Hope my tongue isn't getting as old as the rest of me.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Very good blend. Full of spicy latakia and that is a good thing for me. This was sent to me as a sample from pipes and cigars with an order. I plan to order more soon.

Strong but smooth with character. As long as you don't rush it there are no bite problems. And unlike some other blends in this series this one burns cool enough for me.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Larry's Blend arrived in a much drier state than most tobaccos, which is great for smoking, but not so good for handling. My sample contained lots of fine partcles and dust. The pouch aroma is strong, smoky latakia and little else. The inital flavor is straight, strong latakia, which only fades in intensity after the first quarter bowl. The middle half is characterized by some of the more subtle latakia-character flavors, notably the flavor/aroma of cedar and incense. There are very brief, muted moments of sweetness, but the savory flavors dominate. As the bowl finishes, a distinct salty flavor shows up and intensifies.

Little tendency to bite and a dry bowl earn this blend high marks for handling characteristics. I love the lingering aroma of incense that this blend leaves on my clothes and hair.

This blend is very good, but could be improved. I'd like to see a nicer presentation with fewer fines, probably requiring higher moisture content in the package. The salty finish was interesting at first, but now I notice it showing up earlier and dominating later in the bowl; I'd prefer more frequent hints of sweetness and a lot less saltyness.

Oldguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldguy (7)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

My first impression of this tobacco upon opening the bag was of Penzance that had gone moldy. Whole lotta latakia here. My shipment was pretty well broken down; no big chunks or even long ribbons, just small pieces and dust. The moisture content was spot on; no drying or moistening needed. I hated my first pipeful of this stuff. It tasted like something swept up off the carport floor from beneath a spider's web. But, since I had a half-pound of it, I thought I'd better try it in a few other pipes. That did it. With every succeeding pipeful I liked it more. My respect for it continues to grow. It lights well and burns with minimal relights unless it's packed too tightly (as my first bowl was). It is very smooth, VERY smoky and musky (the latakia). If I exhale thru my nose, it sometimes stings a bit. This is a very dark, deep, stout, smooth, dusky Balkan. My impression is the smokiness of Penzance without the lighter, sweeter, spicier notes of that blend. Room note isn't awful for something with so much latakia, and seems to dissipate quickly. I just don't get the "buttery" description in so many of the other reviews here. Smooth, yes; smoky, definitely; but not buttery. GLP Westminster is what I'd call a buttery smoke. I believe that this is one of those tobaccos that will leave its mark on any pipe which has not already been heavily imprinted with the signature of a strong Balkan. If you really crave a good, stout smooth Balkan, you'll like this one. If you're not there yet, get used to Penzance first, and then brace yourself before trying Larry's Blend. It's a wonderful smoke, though it may take some getting used to.

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

When I first got this tobacco I was impressed with the smell (latakia). I loaded up a bowl and thought it was horrible! It was so smooth it was like smoking air but worse because it left a coating in my mouth and an aftertaste. I put it away and just used it to mix with other tobaccos where I wanted some latakia. Then I tried another bowl after about two months and YES it was very good. The aftertaste and coating were GONE. It was smooth and buttery and the price is definitely right. I would have given it four stars but it is not a complex blend. I found it very mono with the latakia BUT I do love latakia and therefore will still give it three stars and because it is very smooth with no bite. I continue to use it for a blending leaf also. Very good tobacco in all though (If you like latakia, but if not, why the hell would you buy a latakia blend right?)

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Had to try this one as it has received a lot of hype. I found it to be as advertised, a very full blend with a LOT of Latakia. If that is your cup of tea, this is the blend for you. I found it a bit overwhelming. As usual the tobacco's used by Russ are TOP NOTCH.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

After reading many glowing reviews of this blend, I purchased a 4 oz. bag of Larry's Blend in April 2007. After a few bowlfuls, I found it very harsh to my mouth/tongue, even after slow, deliberate smoking. I stowed it away in a glass jar and forgot about it, until yesterday (9/20/07).

What a difference a few months made! The aging process transformed this blend into something very special. Full-bodied, cool-smoking and buttery: exactly as described in the advert. Wow! Patience (and forgetfulness) truly paid off, allowing the VAs to mature a bit and the Oriental component to come to the forefront. This is a delightful, very satisfying blend with a consistently rich Latakia component. Kudos to Russ Ouellette for another superb concoction and a tip of the hat to Larry Loerzel for challenging Mr. Ouellette's blending expertise.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My first Latakia blend, and what I really like I believe are those Orientals. More later.

Yeah, this is really amazing. I've now tried Ten to Midnight as well, and though it is not that different, I do like this one better. It might freak you out if you don't know what to expect, like it did me, since I really only smoked Virginia blends of different sorts, but don't be afraid. Give it a chance and you too will be amazed.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is my first review here at tobaccoreviews.com. I'd like to thank everyone involved here for a great site that has been of enormous help in my tobacco buying decisions.

I've selected Larry's Blend as my first attempt at reviewing because with scarcely more than 20 reviews archived, this seems to a blend that more smokers need to try.

Larry's Blend is a rich, smokey, buttery, smooth, complex blend with great flavor. This is one world class Balkan. Russ Ouellette has created a real monster here.

At less than $30 U.S. per pound, this is also a great value, considering the quality of the blend.

Larry's Blend rivals Penzance as my favorite late night smoke.

5 Stars out of 4.

Jake696 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jake696 (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I've not smoked any of the Home and Hearth blends I haven't liked. This one and Ten to Midnight are among my favorite Balkans. Buttery is perhaps the best word I've heard to describe these blends. I can't add much to the praises that have already been given here - get some soon! (Unless you don't like latakia)

It comes ready to smoke, drying out has never been an issue. You may have to lop off a chunk and rub it out a bit, which is just fine. I like the Latakia hit and yet it's not an overpowering smoke at all.

It's all good, price, quality, flavor...what else can be said?

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Re-read Pipepundit's review. It says it all! Think I'll move back to the States so I can get at the Hearth and Home blends.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I've smoked a ton of English blends so far, but never really got into the Balkans. I guess they're just not as popular. But it seems the Balkan fans out there are far more vocal about their tobacco. The top of the ladder is of course the somewhat recently deceased Sobranie. Did I get that right? There's Odyssey, which seems to occupy the top rung, for now, and finally, Larry's Blend--which happens to be gaining ground fast.

That's the way I understood it, at least. So I picked some up from Pipes and Cigars for an amazing price. Russ has won accolades, many times over, and there's little wonder why.

Larry's Blend is a heavy hitting Latakia powerhouse with a sharp, intense taste, yet mellow enough to negate the fear of a painful bite. It arrived in seemingly beat up shape. I got mostly crumbs and a few ribbons in my bag, very dry in consistency. I tend to cut bulks some slack, though. But those two factors seemed to add up to a pronounced plume of billowing smoke rising into the air, and a burn rate with consistency and a complete lack of gurgle.

I'd say that Larry's blend seems to be a bit stronger than Odyssey, with a fuller taste, and a greater portion of Latakia. I don't know that to be true, however. It's just my opinion. And if you care to hear the end of it, I'll tell you. This is on the immediate list. Great taste and an unbeatable value.

Four of Four.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Larry`s Blend is one of the best bits of news for lovers of Balkan blends. To my palate it ranks with the best - not only the best currently being produced, but also the fabled Balkans no longer produced. Every bit as opulent as Penzance or Odyssey, the peculiarity of Larry`s Blend is that it leaves you wanting more, not satiated. Some mysterious alchemy has been at work.

It is incredibly smooth, very slow burning and consequently very cool. My supply arrived dry in the bag in a cut which is most accurately described, if you please, as ready krumbled. Simply gravity feeding the blend into the bowl suffices. Pure Balkan pleasure from beginning to end.

Superlatives can be depressing, but the three blends I have tried from pipesandcigars.com - Anniversary Kake, Sunjammer and Larry`s Blend - have passed all tests with flying colours. I only wish the company shipped to where I live.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Is it possible to give this five stars? Can't keep enough of this blend around.

There's so much rich flavor here. I have a tendency to rush this one, and even with my impatient cadence it still won't bite (though it may nibble a wee bit)---it's just that smooth. Usually creates voluminous smoke and leaves lovely flavors on the palate afterwards.

Just fantastic stuff.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I cannot speak enough praises of this tobacco- the Latakia's interplay with VA's and orientals grants phenomenal top-notch taste. This is one of my favorite blends that I will always have on-hand. Amazing-delicious!

It needs to be packed with a light hand so as not to compress the bowl into a hard draw.

It chars the tastebuds a bit but I'm thinking that is just a byproduct of the amazing flavor. I enjoy Two Friends' Bed & Breakfast as a lighter all-day version of this; however, this tobacco remains at the pinnacle.

This blend evokes images of undead zombies rising from their graves, reclaiming some vendetta long-forgotten by the living, successfully ascending to an earthly throne.

bushi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bushi (12)

Another fine blend from Russ. This is very rich and oh so tastey. There is so much happening in this blend. So many flavors come through with every puff. I would recommend taking it slow so you can enjoy every blast of flavor.

Elcid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elcid (16)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like the appearance. Packs well. Fires up nice. I wanted to like it, but don't feel it's full-bodied, as advertised. Was hoping too for more Oriental-dimension. And buttery -- hmmm -- I don't get that either. Nice for a medium Emglish blend, but not the Big Dog I had hoped.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow! This is a perfect example of a stout Balkan blend. Not as single minded as SG Commonwealth this blend has much more going on with it. Dark and heavy with many undertones of flavor this is one for late in the day; you could wear out your taste buds if you smoked this too many times in a row. My wife won't come near me when I'm puffing this; it's definitely a wife repellant. 8 of 10 stars

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

What a unique and wonderful experience this is! A real Latakia festival with the wonderful balance of Orientals, Carolinas and Va's; an evolution from Ten to Midnight, another of Russ?s blends reviewed here that I like very much. I immediately jar all of my tobacco, especially bulks, as soon as I get delivery of them (or open the tin). The smell is of Va?s and Latakia, unmistakably, a very rich and smooth after note of the Turkish comes through, however, very nicely. Lights well and stays lit, with only one relight and minor tamping & a light gray consistent ash. Room-note seems very pleasant for a Latakia blend. It demands my attention, not because it is overbearing or too immature or that the flavors are ?stacked?, I dislike that very much. It is just very good, not simple or one note, I just want to savor it. After dozens to, I don?t know how many, bowls of this I feel the same way I did after the first bowl? I need more! There is just one pervasive thought/feeling that I have when I smoke this... FULL FLAVOR, and when I am done, "I don't think I got all of that". I must smoke some more of this? then I will get a handle on it. Why do I feel the need to keep trying to find more in this blend? Why the call to that next smoke? Because it is blended so very well; full and subtle at the same time, it comes tasting & smoking aged. As with all of the Hearth & Home blends that I have tried, they are very interesting and you get a consistently outstanding unique parfait of, again, full tobacco flavors. This is clean and fresh yet not youthful or green, not at all; but serious on the Latakia, if you don?t like a lot of it, stay away, this has it (good, good Latakia) in spades. However, if you do like Latakia and Balkans (I know? I know, bear with me on this one) I just can't see you not loving this wonderful blend, and the price just cannot be beat. This is my ?go to smoke? when I cannot decide on anything else or am going to be out all day and need to pack the big pouch, period. In a couple of months I have a lb in an apothecary jar that will be one year old. Half will be mine and the other half will go to friends. In a stack it does things that are almost magical, seriously... it does not grow, change, or expand... it "transforms". It is like it changes from one wonderful Balkan to another, each better and better, transcending from/on elements from the last, but you never really know when/how it happens... suddenly you are all "wow... how did I end up smoking THIS"! Each pipe smokes it differently and I keep saying "hey, this is a great Larry's pipe", though I tend to do that with larger bowls and not wide bottoms (pots, yuck). There is a clean element that you cannot describe to someone who has not smoked Larry's blend. A pureness on the palette that I have never experienced with another blend. True, I often talk highly of Russ and Scotty and Hearth and Home... This is different. I would gladly give-up all other pipe tobacco, without hesitation, for a lifetime supply of Larry's, if it were a done deal. And I will put that in MY pipe and smoke it.

Namaste'

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I just don't like this blend and I think it's the kind of Latakia used and the amount of it too (which is a lot). I simply can't get past the taste of the Latakia to find enough orientals or VAs. And the result is very smooth and buttery but somewhat mired, lacking the woody and nutty overtones I like so much in the older Dunhill blends I have stashed away. This does not have the milk-chocolately smoothness of Penzance either. However, it is much less expensive and of course Murray's NC isn't made any more.

This would be better with some (or more than some) Perique, then it would remind me a little of Ashton's Artisans blend, and that's a compliment.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Buttery and smooth are good adjectives to use for this blend. It was full-flavored, without being overwhelming in any sense. This has the latakia flavor, without being so over the top like Penzance. This is a delicious tobacco blend and I highly recommend it.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Larry's Blend is truly a scrumptiously delcious Balkan smoke. A very nice silky full billow smoke. When I think of packing a bowl of supreme smoke this is one I hope is on my shelf. If you like Balkans this is a for sure must try. I will be ordering more of this...right now!

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)

I have yet to smoke a tobacco from Habana that I do not like! This is a well rounded latakia based blend that packs & lights easily (does not require the rubbing out as needed with Old Lodge or Owls Head), burns completely, and mild on the tongue. It is not as loaded with the roasted latakia flavor as their Old Lodge or Owls Head, but this can make it more of an all-day smoke. I love the room note of latakia, but the wife-rating of any latakia blend is at best pleasant-to-tolerable. I can detect no artificial flavoring, juse a very nice, smooth roasted flavor. I give this blend a 4-star rating.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is one of the smoothest Balkans I've put in a pipe. Full of flavor, rich and satisfying, it burns well and yet does not have appreciable bite. Once I tasted it in the sample I obtained, I put in an order for a larger amount to cellar. This is another Hall of Fame entry if they ever get around to creating one for tobacco blends. There are no taste collisions here, just silky smooth transitions brought about mostly by the fine Oriental tobacco used. There is an almost chocolate like presence from onset to finish. I can recommend this blend without reservation.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Smooth Canadian

clifswin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clifswin (8)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

With the demise of the Murray's version of Nightcap, this tobacco has become my favorite currently available blend. Even when "real" Nightcap was still available, it was pretty much neck-and-neck. A very full, rich flavor, with spicy tones weaving in and out through the bowl, puts this one at the head of the class. If you love Balkans you can hardly help but be taken with this blend. If Latakia is your thing, this may be a religious experience.

I have three negatives to mention about this blend: it's one of the "twiggier" blends I've smoked, with a larger than usual number of big woody bits; the high Latakia content makes it a more effective wife repellent than a steady diet of beans, broccoli and microbrewed ale; and the temptation to smoke it constantly can lead to a "leather mouth" condition, where my tongue and palate become not burned, but numb. If I succumb to that temptation, I can sometimes spend two or three days with a seriously impaired sense of taste.

That said, let me say that it's worth it. I have simply not found any other blend like this one. Twigs are niggles, my wife is forgiving, and oversmoking is my own darn fault. Larry's Blend is - for now - MY blend, the one I reach for before any other.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

The notes on the tin description (actually a misnomer as this blend is only available in bulk) pretty well tell the tale of this tobacco. At first light, it's apparent there is more Latakia in this blend than in Ten To Midnight, and more Orientals to match. The smokey taste of the Latakia, the creaminess of the Orientals, and the sweetness of the Virginias each contribute to the complexity of this blend. It burns down to a gray ash with an average amount of relights and a few light tamps needed during the smoke.

Scores for Larry's Blend; taste- 17 of 20; packing and lighting- 8 of 10; value- 9 of 10. 34 points equals ** for this fine tobacco.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)

Currently, I have forty reviews here at TobaccoReviews.com (not including this one). Of those forty, I have only given the top 4-star rating to four of those tobaccos. The math is easy--that every one in ten or 10 percent. This brings me to Larry's Blend from the Habana Premium Cigar Shoppe (PipesandCigars.com) in Albany, New York (USA). Russ Ouellette's creative creation is the leader in that exclusive group of what are now five. Indeed, this blender has created one of the finest blends that I have ever smoked (and he is a gentleman to boot). This truly is, by far, needless to say, the best Balkan blend currently available. Larry Loerzel, who the blend is named after, must be honoured to no end with this weed. To say that I am impressed is not enough--cool-smoking, rich, smoky, buttery, ready to smoke, easily packed, burns to a nice ash, and the list goes on. I have been smoking Larry's blend all summer and have found it, with each purchase, to be consistent. I have tried this is small bowls, large bowls, straight pipes and bent pipes all with the same extraordinary results. It is good for morning, evening, and all day. If you like Latakia-based blends (with quality Oriental that makes it a Balkan), do yourself a favour--give yourself a treat--and get this stuff. The only downfall here is that I am not looking forward to the prospect of the next new nine tobaccos that I smoke not being in the 4-star category, but very few could match Larry's Blend in any case.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend from Pipes & Cigars' Hearth and Home Series is truly a masterwork.

This particular blend reminds me nothing so much as the smoothness of Penzance but with the strength of Odyssey. Salty, smoky, smooth, and deliciously wonderfull. This is a pentultimate English taken to extreme levels of perfection. Larry, whoever he might be, obviously must have some divinely inspired tastes for tobacco to have guided Russ into creating this angelic wonder.

This ranks with Odyssey, Margate, and Penzance in my opinion. It is significantly more full than 965. It is also not a clone of any of these but a unique blend. If you like latakia, then you should certainly sample this magnificent blend!

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Now here ia a real Balkan using top quality smokey rich Latakia and smooth buttery orientals. Packs and lights easy and burns cool, even and slow. Rich and full flavored yet smooth as silk.