PipesAndCigars.com

Scotty's Butternut Burley is faintly reminiscent of Lane's 1Q or RLP-6 aromatic offerings, yet in a class all its own. Upon first lighting up, your initial surprise will be the complete lack of tongue bite; this holds true consistently throughout the bowl, as this tobacco has the least tongue bite of any aromatic going. This blend packs easily, lights readily, and simply refuses to go out. It burns completely to a fine, white ash, leaving minimal dottle to contend with in the bottom of the bowl. How is it for taste? Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor. After the bowl is done, expect a pleasant lingering sensation on your palate with no bitterness at all. Mild enough to be an all-day smoke, Butternut Burley leaves a pleasant room note sure to be a hit even with the non-smokers in the crowd. Scotty's Butternut Burley is the perfect tobacco to introduce a beginning pipe smoker to the fine art, and is sure to be a favorite of seasoned veterans as well.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByScott Bendett
ContentsBurley
FlavoringHoney, Vanilla
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I second all that Tobacco Critic said about this blend. I just smoked a bowl from my local pipe club's tobacco bar this evening and was highly impressed.

The mostly ribbon cut Burley leaf was not goopy when I gathered up the tobacco to put into my pipe. The smell from the bag was of butterscotch. That smell transformed into a butterscotch flavor on my tongue, but what impressed me was the fact that it also tasted like a quality Burley tobacco and had a pleasant hit of nicotine.

The blend does get a tad bitter toward the bottom of the bowl, but it smoked dry all the way down. For lovers of this type of aromatic, it's a 4-star bell ringer.

The molasses sweet, nutty, earthy burleys are the only component. The honey, vanilla and butter toppings are very complimentary. The nic-hit is very low. Won't bite or get harsh even when pushed. Burns at slightly more than a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very smoothly sweet consistent flavor all the way through. Requires few relights, but leaves a little moisture at the finish. It has a pleasant room note and after taste. An easy going all day, uncomplicated work and play smoke.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Found this to be a nice smooth, sweet smoke. Great morning smoke or simply a day long smoke. Sweetness pulls through from beginning to end. Nice room note others will enjoy. A little nuttiness remains in the background as sweet nuances are enjoyed in varying degrees with each draw. The burley nuttiness becomes more prominate toward the latter 3rd. No worries about any bite with this one. Nicely sweet without trying too hard. Soft and creamy. Reminds me somewhat of a nice sugar cookie. Find it best smoked low and slow to garner the sweetness. Definitely will keep some around for a change of pace when in the mood for a sweeter tone. This aro checks all the boxes - nicely done.

Pipe Used: La Strada Bulldog

Purchased From: P&C

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mild, sweet, tasty tobacco. You can still taste the burley tobacco through the honey and butter. This was a delicious blend, room note was divine, and I got no bite. Smoke slow to get the most sweetness out of it.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum diplomat

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars online

littlefield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
littlefield (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

If possible I buy a 1 oz sample before buying a larger portion. I went ahead and picked up a one pounder and fortunately was very pleased with the choice and the accurate self-description of this blend. Already an admirer of Lane's 1Q, SSB indeed can be compared with that benchmark blend. Not as mild or gentle as 1Q, but more interesting with a little more flavor and light peppery notes (hints of oriental?) an all-round well thought-out "American" blend. This one is easy to smoke, enjoyable and is polite enough to leave room for other tobaccos in the day if one so chooses.

Similar Blends: Lane's 1Q.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (19)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Butternut Burley is like an old sweater you've had for years. You set it aside and forget about it, then one day you see it there in the back of the closet, put it back on, and - shocked that it still fits - wonder why you ever stopped wearing it.

I just ordered another five pounds. This blend is smooth and enjoyable. Anything but 'just another bitey aromatic' because it is everything most aromatics are not. Burley bites me bad, but not this. I dry most aromatics in a sunny window for a day, or three. Not this. Most aromatics will ghost a pipe. Not this. Most aromatics burn finicky and leave 25% or more dottle. Not this.

Over and over again, I move to foo-foo blends, try tins of this and that, bump up my Latakia content to the stratosphere, move to straight Virginias, then VA/Pers, and simply forget about my Butternut Burley.

Then, like that old sweater, it pops up again and finds its way back into my life for days on end. Days stretch to weeks, then to months.

Then one day, I'm called away. Knowing that with time, this old friend will find me again.

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review of Scotty's BB is identical to my review of the 4Noggins Butternut Burley, because they are the same product. As a Burley lover, I gotta give Butternut Burley four stars. The honey and vanilla are unobtrusive in both the jar and the smoke, leaving a fabulous codger Burley taste to come through. Too many aromatics forget that a blend is supposed to taste like tobacco, but BB nails it. This is classified as an aro, but it would be just as if not more accurate to classify it simply as a wonderful Burley. If you like a nic hit, this one provides a bit, though it won't spin your head.

No bite, all delite. It packs, lights and burns good right down to white ash. Smoke it slow and cool or you will get a touch of bitterness toward the end. You can smoke this all day, and I do.

I don’t ever want to be without Butternut Burley again, it’s that good. Note that 4Noggins offers a Butternut Burley in its Hearth & Home bulk tobaccos section (NOT with the 4Noggins bulk tobaccos), which gets very high reviews. According to a private email to me from Rich Gottlieb, it and Scotty's Butternut Burley are the same product. So, why does the BB offered by 4N get such dramatically better reviews? Grade inflation for esteemed private blender? Hmmm...

Note: 4Noggins no longer has a Butternut Burley under the 4Noggins banner, only under Hearth & Home.

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home Butternut Burley sold by 4Noggins (same product).

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Don?t be misled by the name of this blend. It does not contain a butter flavoring. A butternut is a tree in the walnut family and, as an aside, butternut was the color of (most) Confederate uniforms in the U.S. Civil War as they were dyed with butternut extract.

Butternut Burley does not contain a butter flavoring but it is as SMOOTH as warm butter. This is a great aromatic I enjoyed from the very first puff. I agree wholeheartedly with all of the previous, positive comments: no bite, pleasant aroma, great burning qualities and with a nice, nutty sweetness. And maybe it?s just me but I think I detected just a subtle hint of a liquer flavor, perhaps hazlenut, which added to the enjoyment of this blend. I have been favorably impressed with all of the P&C blends I have tried.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

My vacation into aromatics continues and there isn't much to add to the other 87 reviews of this popular blend, although a quote by Da Vinci comes to mind, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” In a nutshell (pun intended), that is Butternut Burley! Highly Recommended!

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I have been smoking the blend off and on for about 18 months. I finally decided to review it. First off, I think one has to like aromatics to like this blend, just being a burley smoker is not enough as it is very mild and has a definite butter pecan tsste. This could easily be an all day blend and can't and won't wear out the tongue. It is what it is and that's a mild aromatic that does not have tongue bite, it smokes clean, has a great flavor and aroma and makes a great blender.

This tobacco comes in bulk and when opening the bag it has a scent of Simores. It smells good enough to eat. It is a somewhat moist blend and has a mixed coloring from light to very dark in a rough cut ribbon. It does have a little stickyness to the touch but it packs easily in the pipe and it lights and stays burning very well. It emits a nice, very creamy cool smoke, not overpowering nor cloying at all, just the good butter pecan flavor and wonderful room aroma. It burns down to a nice grey ash with very little dottle and does not leave a bunch of moisture in the bottom of the pipe in spite of it being a moist tobacco. This is not one I wasnt to smoke all day but it could easily be for some, but I do find myself reaching for it a lot with a cup of coffee. I also smoke it when around people as they tend to like the aroma. This would be a great blend for new smokers as it won't bite their tongue and it tastes good. I highly recommend this but not to purists. One must like an aromatic to enjoy this blend or at least be open to them.

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (28)

After reading through reviews,this blend seemed like something I would enjoy and I purchased 4 oz with my last order. Upon arrival my shipment smelled heavenly with the sent of this tobacco wafting throughout the box. After my first few bowls I was left unimpressed. After smoking it off and on over the last few weeks though, it's really grown on me, and I find myself grabbing it more and more (I've found myself doing this with most new burley blends). I have grown to really enjoy this blend, especially in the morning with a cup of coffee. Early in the morning with a cup of black coffee and a pipe stuffed with BB is downright amazing. Room note as others have stated is wonderful and smells like baked cookies to me. Burns down to to white ash leaving behind a bit of dottle, the last quarter of the bowl is a bit bitter but not bad. Definitely worth a try. Pairs with: black coffee, early mornings, garages, yard work, social events, and occasional indoor smokes with the wife

Pipe Used: Many

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, not as sweet as Lane Limited 1-Q or Trout Stream, nice Flavor

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

This is probably the best buddy a guy can have if they're taking up the pipe. It tastes great, isn't a wimp in the strength department, and has a captivating smell right out of the box that will knock a lot of people dead. It also behaves exceedingly well when lit without any measure of difficulty through packing, lighting, and burn. I think "no hassle" best describes what I'm trying to say.

It's not what I expected, frankly. Having read innumerable ASP posts and discussions, I picked this up out of curiosity. I'm not much an aromatic buff myself, but I do enjoy experimenting. I'm not especially sure why, but I swear to have expected a cube cut burley rather than the ribbon variety. And though I'm still intrigued by a cube cut butternut, this will do. I don't plan on smoking the heck out of this blend, but it's nice to have for the friends.

I rate this against other aromatics, 1Q and LL-7 particularly. Lane must be kicking themselves for missing the secret recipe. Here it is.

Hoppin' John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hoppin' John (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Very smooth smoke that provides a pleasant experience from bag to bowl to lingering aftertaste. Warm, nutty burley that is not too sweet is sure to please any smoker or non-smoking passerby that catches the delightful aroma coming from your pipe. Just received another 4 ounces and I'm eager to get at it.

Pipe Used: MM county gentleman cob, Larocca briar

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I had the joy of smoking this blend fresh as well as 7 years aged. To start the flavor did however diminish over the years as one would expect with burleys. This tobacco was easy to work with and I really didnt have a need to dry this one out. The aroma of the tobacco is an immediate butterscotch scent at least that's what I got. The smoke was enjoyable another smoke that taste the way it smells a very butterscotch flavor. Room note was very pleasant and I find it to be a good smoke around others who are non smokers. Overall I would really recommend this to people who are aromatic smokers but also to people who are slowly making a transition towards English blends.

Pipe Used: Sharrow bulldog, meerschaum, gbd churchwarden.

Age When Smoked: Fresh, 7 year age

Purchased From: Gifted from a friend

Similar Blends: Lane rlp6 and lane 1q.

sagepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagepipe (13)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Like the other reviewers who rated this blend low, I think this tobacco is very bitter. Unlike some of the other reviewers, the bitterness comes through to me at the very beginning and seems to mellow out about half way through the bowl. This bitter taste I am describing is very common among many aromatic blends I have tried from a jars and bags. I prefer tinned aromatics.

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (16)

Scotty's Butternut Burley is just a good all day smoke with a nice mild warm buttery butterscotch type taste and room note. While a top note is present , you can still get the taste and feel for the burley blend. This is a great smoke when you want tobacco flavor but just a little on the side for your sweet tooth. While I do not smoke a lot of blends that have a aro footnote to them, this is one that I always go back to and cannot help but give 2 thumbs up.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent & GBD billard from 1900's

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Similar Blends: Mildly similar to Trout Stream.

pipeandfedora Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeandfedora (2)

Simple and manly. It tastes like home.

My go to aromatic when I want to venture out from my usual English and Orientals blends.

Highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bulldog

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sweet, mild, burley goodness. For being a cased blend the complete lack of tongue bite is a happy surprise. The primary flavor is the nutty brown burleys. The burleys in this blend are beautiful. Cool burning, Even burning and so so smooth. The vanilla and honey casing is very well done. The honey flavor comes through strong in the smoke making it very pleasant and sweet. The vanilla is not very present but thats alright with me. I am a heavy english smoker so for me to enjoy this blend is really saying something. Heavy, dark burley, virgina and latakia blends make up my usual pipe diet. Butternut Burley has been a pleasant, sweet break in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 316 Roma

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (21)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Fortunately for me the pound and a half I have bought of this blend was BEFORE the blend changed as noted in prior reviews. I find it to be a wonderful smoke with plenty of flavor and a great room note. This is truly my everyday smoke when I can't think of any other blend I want. I highly recommend this blend if you can can't some that is more than six months old.

Pipe Used: 40+

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)

I have to echo the reviews of some others here, this blend has changed with P&C's merger with Cigars Int. The first time I bought this was last year and I was greatly pleased. This time it had to be dried for days and still gooped up the bottom of the bowl, had constant re-lights and the smoke seemed a little bland. I guess that all good things must come to an end.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Brown and black flecks of burley, white burley, and fire cured burley. Topped with a most delicious butternut flavouring, it lights easy, and burns well. Nice big clouds of sweet tasting and sweet buttery Burley, (Yes I am a Burley Fan). A great combination here. It's quite good and I wonder if the "REAL" label should be afixed for having such a real buttery taste. This is a crowd pleaser as well. It reminds me of how the candy counter at Sears, with all the roasting nuts used to smell. This will be a magical blend in the autumn! Yum.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)

My experience with Butternut Burley mirrors that expressed in Pipe4ever's earlier review. I experienced an initial predilection for this blend, but subsequent smokes have turned it into an extreme re-conditioning experience for my palate, which seems to have become irreversibly averse to it. I don't know what's made even jarred BB turn bitter and frankly repugnant to my palate after a time. Could be some chemistry in the blend itself. But I've submitted my batch to repeated and varied samplings and I every time I had to dump the bowl. No more BB for me.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I ordered 4oz of this blend, The first 10 bowls that was a wonderful Aromatic and I was very happy, the next 10 bowls it was so-so, after 30th bowls things started to get complicated, there is an "oily" after taste and the casing was less than acceptable for my palate, I still have few bowls of this blend in the jar that I just can?t finish it. Finally this blend is enjoyable up to 2oz maximum, there is an obvious diminishing return eftect

Try McClelland 900-Refined Tennessee Ribbon, much better than this one.

This was a gift from a friend. It came sealed in mylar, and so I don't know the age. It is a mix of blacks and tans with probably 4 shades of tobacco in the pouch. It is mostly a chopped medium ribbon. It smells faintly or vanilla and maybe a little caramel. It came at a good level of moisture for smoking. I codger scooped to fill my bowl.

Smoked, this is the closest I have ever tasted to "Old Codger's Bliss." This is a recipe for a mix of a variety of OTC tobaccos, and tones down the aromatic quality. It tastes of a mild vanilla and caramel as the pouch note suggests. Perhaps the name suggests a buttscotch, but that may be the power of suggestion. There is a nice nutty burley base, and puffed a little, there is a pleasant slightly bitter edge to it.

This is mild in terms of strength, and would be well suited to an "all-day" smoke for those with a nicotine aversion. It has a pleasant taste that does not get old. It was an easy smoke and did not require an unusual number of relights or leave the bowl goopy.

This is a 2.5 for me. I would smoke a lot of it if it were all I had. I am unlikely to buy more. If you are looking for an easy smoke that is a mild to medium aromatic, this would be a good thing to try.

Mikefu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikefu (10)

Nice, wide cut, almost broken flake in appearance. Good moisture level. Bag note is burley, sweetened a bit, with some discernible vanilla, and the honey smells somewhat like honey and somewhat like butterscotch. I presume that there is some sort of nutty flavoring as well, or it could just be a very nutty burley. Easy to pack and light, I usually can get through a bowl with a couple lights. Burns cool and just about medium pace. Flavor is very natural burley, smoothed by the vanilla and sweetness. I get a hint of saltiness here and there, as you do when enjoying a butterscotch disc or Werther’s Original candy. Not much for butterscotch flavor, but the mellow sweetness makes it a real treat while not being cloying. Flavor stays pretty consistent, gaining a bit of richness toward the end. Burns down completely, with no dottle, even with no drying time. Highly recommended for a very lightly aromatic aromatic.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

DocGuinness Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DocGuinness (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The quality of the tobacco was great. Just the right amount of moisture, not too wet and not too dry. The tobacco blend has a light, but somewhat aromatic smell to it. I was expecting a stronger smell like Trout Stream, but was somewhat disappointed in how mild the topping was.

The tobacco lit well and burned clean to a white ash in the bowl.

I'm giving it 3 out of 4 stars because of how mild the taste of the smoke is. Probably because I'm a heavy aromatic smoker and am use to more full-bodied smokes. There was nothing negative about this smoke, just a little on the dull side for me.

Pipe Used: Briar

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Scotty's Trout Stream ( though much milder in taste )..

Legionnaire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Legionnaire (26)

Burley and flavored Black Cavendish comprises this blend. As far as this type of aromatic is concerned, it’s decent and bite free. It’s not always consistent for whatever reason and I have received some that was less than stellar in its blending. But overall it’s not bad. It seemed to be better when Scott Bendett sold it when he was the original owner of P&C before Cigars International bought it out.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Top Drawer aromatic, for sure! Burley is a bit nutty and the buttery honey and vanilla are not to overwhelming. Smooth from light till the last puff. No heavy goopy residue in the bottom of the pipe either. This one can have appeal to all levels of smoking experience. By far one of my top 5 aromatics. Well done!

Pipe Used: Cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: Various stages

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

What a wonderful surprise! I had a care package sent to me and inside was an ounce of this and as soon as I opened the bag I was in love! The room note is nothing less than divine and my wife actually enjoyed sitting next to on the front porch one evening drinking coffee while I was smoking this. There is not any bite at all and nor did I have wet sludge at the bottom of the bowl when I was finished smoking. This is a tobacco I can smoke all day and I just ordered a pound of it so I can can smoke at least one bowl a day for many days to come!

Pipe Used: MM cobs and various Stanwells

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: gift

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (37)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Scotty's Butternut Burley is the epitome of a well done aromatic tobacco. This is a lightly sweet smoke that compliments the natural flavors of the tobacco. Infinitely buttery smooth and rich in a way that is not at all overpowering, and yet mild enough to be an all day smoke. One detects notes of buttery vanilla and honey sweetness, as well as the natural tobacco nuttiness imparted by the burleys. This is without a doubt my favorite aromatic to date. Won't bite, packs well, and very little dottle. Smoked in a briar or cob, you will be guaranteed a pleasant smoke. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Cobs and briars

roadkill0000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roadkill0000 (23)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

this review is just to keep track for myself mainly, less intended as a serious in depth review. Just to keep an eye of what ive tried and what I like, with quick notes about it. alot of these notes are from memory, and I will update the review as I continue smoking them.

one of the first i tried many many years ago as a kid. I remember it literally tasting like butter. great for a begineer smoker. would try again but i dont think it would be as amazing an experience. but this tobacco did an amazing job at hitting a certain soft light salty buttery taste that ive yet to find in anything else. good tobacco

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

The smell is sweet from some obvious artificial toppings. Nothing unpleasant, but nothing I wanted to dig into upon first whiff. I wish the leaves weren't so broken down, the mix needed a more hearty cut for packing. It was the consistency of Oregano seasoning with a somewhat sticky topping.

The sweetness remained upon lighting up, giving you a very consistent experience from start to finish. It gives off a mountain of smoke, which caught me off guard with a cough.

The Butternut Burley did not work for me, yet I could see someone enjoying it as a no nonsense all day smoker.

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (24)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the first blends I tried years ago, and from the first puff, I new this was a quality aromatic. Great buttery/butterscotch aroma from the bag. Packs and lights easily. This is without a doubt an all day smoker. Rich and flavorful, every puff is a delight. I do like to let it dry for about 15 min before packing, but it's not necessary. This is one blend that does taste like it smells. Room note is wonderful and I always receive compliments. The smell lingers on my hands for hours after smoking, which is really pleasant. Being a big fan of VA's and vapers, I smoke very few aros nowadays, but this is one that I find myself smoking a few times a month when I get an itch for something sweet. Definitly worth keeping a jar of this on the shelf.

Pipe Used: cob, briar, meerschaum

Age When Smoked: new-3 yrs

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Great aromatic at a great price. In the bag I get mostly honey and vanilla with just a whisper of butterscotch (strange since there's none in there). I'm fairly certain there is black cavendish, even though it's touted as a burley blend. I guess technically you can make cavendish from burley, but whatever, it's a very pleasant blend. To me, it tastes quite a lot like warm, buttery pecan pie with a mild liquor essence (maybe rum or brandy?) Flavor seems to diminish a lot once you get to the final 3rd or 4th of the bowl. I would recommend this -- it's not a personal favorite, but I always keep it in rotation. It smokes cleanly, no problems with moisture or bite, and the room note is awesome.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is among the finest aro's I have smoked.

The big difference is that there is a real and deep tobacco taste to go along with the aro. Usually its a burst of sweet smoke and nothing underneath, but this is what an aro should be with rich and deep Bur going on with the aro added lightly on top.

Rich plumes of smoke, very easy to pack light and draw. Delightful aroma, and the tobacco get richer down the bowl.

Remarkable.

I need to secure several lbs of this now and store it.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a nice soft smoke and would be a good all day smoke. On the mild side, so I don't pick up a lot of aromatic flavor. Mild (too mild) at first, but then the tobacco settles in nicely for an enjoyable smoke around the halfway mark.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)

I thought for sure I had reviewed Butternut Burley back in 2004 when I used to buy it for $20 a pound, my how times have changed.. I just purchased some from P&C and was happy to report it was the same as the previous pounds I had canned that is mild, mellow, not overly aromatic and devoid of ANY tongue bite even if huffed like a train. Nowadays the price has gone up considerably ($45 a pound currently) so more than double in ten years and in doing so is now in competition with the small batch blenders like Uhles and Pipeworks & WIlke so you must really enjoy BB to justify the price. I thought I had given BB 4 stars back in 2004 since the quality and price made this a fantastic choice for all day or beginners but now at almost $50 a pound it is a 3 star blend for me but a 4 star tobacco in it's own right.

Age When Smoked: 10 years aged and fresh

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - 1-Q.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I found his blend to remind me of 1Q with a lot more burley for that darker, nutty/coco flavor mingled with the already excellent vanilla/honey/butter of the topping. Excellent handling and burning qualities, no bite, respectable N content. A very fine smoke indeed and highly recommended to the aromatic or burley/aro smoker. Burley purists will find this blend too sweet but everyone else in the room will appreciate what you have done for them.

Pipe Used: MM

Age When Smoked: new to 35 days old

Purchased From: pandc

Similar Blends: 1Q.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Coming straight from the bulk bag, It was kind of coarse and dry, but some blends are just better like that. It makes it easy to light, and it's quality enough to smoke cool and true all the way.

I really appreciate the nuttiness and just good burley here. The butternut part of it does show every now and then, but it's mild enough to give you a true pipe tobacco full taste. Needless to say the room note is great.

From an english smoker looking for a good aromatic, this could be for a wider audience.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Peterson System (Bent), Cob

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Doggie_Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doggie_Daddy (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a blend I could smoke often. The added top flavors are not to overpowering of the fine burley and Cavendish. The aroma from the tin is nice and the room note is wife and daughter approved. The thick buttery smoke has a pleasant mouth feel. This is an all day smoke.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

The smell of this blend is wonderful, very buttery. I was very excited at first and hoping for a great smoke. All I got was an "ok" smoke. Nothing to write home about. May help to dry it a bit, didn't seem moist (least nothing out of the ordinary for an aromatic smoker) but just couldn't keep it burning well. The taste was just meh, again nothing interesting about it, nothing terrible about it.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)

Bought 4 ounces on a whim with my last P&C order. When I received my order and opened the bag it smelled more aromatic than I generally prefer. Luckily it did not smoke as sweet as it smelled. It was fairly sweet with a buttery nut kind of flavor. Lol hence the name I guess. The perfect tobacco when your in the mood for something on the sweeter side. Smokes cool and dry with ZERO bite even when pushed. My 4 ounces is rapidly disappearing and will be buying more with the hot summer months ahead.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I review and recommend this tobacco as an aromatic. I generally seek an OTC like Carter Hall, or some McBaren Golden Extra when I want a Burley experience as I know it with the characteristic cocoa and nuttiness. I purchased a pound of Butternut Burley in 2009, smoked half of it and jarred the rest. I find the flavor and quality has remained constant. This has a similar finer cut as other OTC's and cased burley blends. Minimal effort to pack and light.

As others have mentioned similar to 1Q. I find it to be like a super light version of Pipes and Cigars Trout Stream. I generally smoke this in a Grabow freehand or cob w/o a filter. Billows of a mildly fragrant smoke with a light flavor. Good mild warm weather fare. Everyone likes the aroma. I believe this is one of the best aromatic offerings available, which from my perspective, is all this blend can be expected to be.

This behaves extremely well towards the bottom of bowl and doesn't goop or ghost. When I crave something easy, light and sweet, , this is my 1st choice. 3 stars.

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was given a healthy sized ziploc bag of this from a friend to try out. Loved it. I will buy more, and keep it in the daily rotation. smell was tame in the bag but pleasant, room note was pleasing for all, flavor kept me interested through the bowl and I was a touch sad when it quickly disappeared and I was out! I found a bit of dry time needed, though it never really bit me. Just was a bit more fussy with re-lights.

RamblinMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RamblinMan (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first had this blend a few years ago, finished my 2oz sample and moved on to sample many other tobaccos (both tinned and bulk). A couple of weeks ago I was looking through the reviews here and, while checking out a few other P&C blends, stumbled on Butternut Burley again. Strangely I could recall the taste and, before I knew it, I found myself ordering some.

As the previous reviewer likened it to an old comfortable sweater, I must agree. The flavor and taste are familiar, not overbearing, and perfect with a morning cup of coffee. I would have to add that it is not your typical sweet aromatic and is fairly simple in it's taste. There are indeed faint notes of buttery, nutty, almost pecan sandie flavoring, but these do not overpower the natural tobacco taste.

This will probably become one of my go-to Burleys. Not that I smoke burley blends all that often but sometimes I am in the mood for something simple, comfortable, and familiar.

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (6)

I'm mainly a English blend smoker...(Magnum Opus & Northwoods) but in the morning I go right for a bowl of burley & a cup of strong coffee & Scotty's BB is IMHO the best burley around. I've tried my share of different burleys but I always come back to BB & I'm done teating the waters. NO BITE & A GREAT BURLEY FLAVOR!! Just the right amount of sweetness in the smoke with a slight & only occasional hint of honey makes this blend PERFECT with a cup of Columbian coffee before I start the day. This is a burley lovers delight!!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

This aromatic is a cut above its peers. As the description indicates, it has very little bite and the flavoring carries nicely into the smoke. The quality impressed me greatly, but the flavor grew tiresome long before I finished my two-ounce sample. I strongly recommend giving this a try if you like aromatics, and I'm sure that many fans of more "natural" blends might enjoy it as well. I'm not buying anymore, but I do suggest that aromatic fans give this a try -- it's good stuff, just not to my taste.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I thought this was decent enough. It's worth keeping a few ounces around - particularly for the price! I guess it's a little bit less sweet than the Black Cavendish I smoke, but it still has some sweetness. I think I would most of the time rather experience sweetness from a good virginia than from a flavoring. I enjoyed this smoke well enough - it was a nice, relaxing lunch break - , it's just not my favorite.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (17)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One of the best aromatics I have ever smoked. It has a simple and inoffensive taste that one desires in an aromatic, which is something that many aromatics don't do well (they taste foul or sour). The aroma, which is primarily why people would try this blend, is fantastic. It is a pretty complex smell, with tones of vanilla and butternut and rum. It is a very even and consistent smoke with no ugly surprises.

BronxBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BronxBriar (10)

This is without a doubt one of the best everyday smokes I have ever had. Cool with absolutely no tongue bite. A wonderful mix of burley and virginias that gives off an aroma to die for. Gentle flavors of mild strength with an even burn, I could smoke this for 24/7 and die happy.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (17)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

no tongue bite this is and all day smoke if you want it to be

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (16)

This is what aromatic smoking is all about! This is Our Best Blend,PA,PS Va. Longcut in an aromatic,all my favorite blends in different categories I can smoke all day. Appearance is tan,brown and black in a rough cut.Don't see ribbon,shag or flake. This is like Lane's I-Q only raised to the upmost degree. I don't know if it's a higher grade of tobacco,or a better flavoring used. No bite probably because of the cut. I consider this Black Cordial's lighter brother. If you pack it loose & tamp only when you can't re-light you will get the tobacco taste. Very smooth,creamy and pleasant. I smoke this to and from work every day. For those who smoke everything, you're doing yourself a great dis-service but not trying this nectar. Monochromaticness (Funn Dictionary), blandness comes from over puffing IMHO.Currently smoking it in a small meer with a sharp V at the bottom of the bowl. No goop or moisture at all. I have to re-pack if a strand clogs the bottom of the bowl. I put this in a Vinyl sifter pouch which de-moisturizes(Funn Dictionary) it to the perfect degree. No hassel loading,put the granules on top from the other side of the pouch gives you a perfect smoke. Friends have told me they're hungry after smelling this blend. This is the perfect blendation(Funn Dictionary) of taste,smell,smokability,bitelessness(Funn Dictionary) in an Aromatic!! Highly recommended!! Makes you capitalize Aromatic it's so good.

Postie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Postie (9)

I love this blend, a lot. I can't add much more than that, I keep this on hand all the time in a carry pouch when I go out, and in my largest humidor.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

This is a very good bulk blend that pipesandcigars.com puts out. A great room note while smoking (the wife loves the aroma, which is a good thing) and it really smells great out of the bag. Very easy to light and keep lit and it leaves a nice ash at the end of the bowl. No tongue bite was even hinted at during smoking this fine blend. The nicotine content is just right for me. I will definitely getting more of this fine blend as time goes on.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

The good news is that the aroma is quite nice and you can't make this blend bite no matter how hard and fast you puff. The bad news is the flavor is lacking,flat and actually unpleasant to my tastes. I enjoy many of the Old Codger blends such as Carter Hall and Sugar Barrel a lot more than this. I have come to the conclusion that I like a little Virginia mixed in with my Burley. I added a good bit of McClelland's 5100 Red Cake and it made the blend much more round,interesting and satisfying.On it's own I don't much care for this.The price point is right but I think that it is better suited to use as a blending tobacco.I will not be purchasing this again.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)

I find myself smoking more Virginias and Burleys?non-aromatics. 'Blue Grass Melody' from Affordable Pipes, is one of my favorites, I love the nicotine. I carry a little fabric lunch bag to work, stuffed with a few pipes and several varieties of pipe tobacco. The other morning I was rummaging through my lunch bag and found some Butternut Burley. I liked it. If you smoke burleys, do yourself a favor and try this. It is a great change of pace. It is a nice easy smoke, and it smells good.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a very pleasant blend but with nothing really standing out to brag about. The pouch aroma is very sweet and IMO it really needs drying out to be perfectly usable. It packs well, lights easily, stays lit well, and has an unassuming pleasant taste. It smokes to the bottom without any gurgling or harshness or hint of a bite or bad odor to the pipe. The slipstream is pleasant but almost unnoticeable (at least, no wifely complaints). There is ample nice white smoke without having to chug.

The only negative I can offer for this blend is a definite burley bitterness that lingers on the tongue well after the pipe is finished. This bitterness starts about mid-bowl and gets stronger closer to the bottom. This may be accented by a casing that I believe to be present since it is not easy to get this dried out and is somewhat sticky fresh out of the pouch.

All in all, I still recommend this for 3 stars due to the overall friendliness of the smoke.

dutch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dutch (7)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

dunhill royal yacht, is one of my favorites,im talking about the one that is from the united kingdom. i only smoke this tobacco in my GBD made in england pipe.this tobacco has a lot of nicotine, so be careful,i got my royal yacht in bermuda also the GBD pipe, upon my first light, i was surprised how smooth it was. the taste is great,the flavor is and aroma was better than i expected. the room note is just fine, no complaints from the wife. i highly recommend this tobacco if you could find the one made in the UK. I give this blend three stars thank You DUTCH

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

There are few aromatic tobaccos which combine the taste of tobacco with natural flavorings to produce a great smoke, but this is one of them.

Butternut Burley smells delicious in its pouch (it is bought in bulk). It packs, lights, and burns easily. It never gets hot and can be puffed on without any attention.

The flavor is of almonds, bark, some slight cedar-like notes, and a mixture of chocolate/butter rum/vanilla type flavors. Its room note is wonderful.

This blend is fantastic and has earned a permanent place in my cellar. I give it three stars, because like 1Q, it is my constant companion. This isn't quite the over the top blend I like at the end of the day though. This is definitely worth your time.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have a 2oz. sample of Butternut Burley and I promised myself that I would finish it before I wrote a review, but this is too good to wait. Appearance - medium and dark brown rough cut ribbons, moist, and slightly sticky. Pouch aroma - light, sweet, and nutty. Flavor - very nice straight burley flavor with some sweetness. The taste is not as sweet as the aroma, which is a good thing for an everyday blend. The topping is wonderful as it goes well with the sweet casing and the slight bitterness of the burley; it reminds me of my mother's black walnut cake. As the bowl progresses, the sweetness fades and the bitterness increases, but it is not as bitter as, say, dark chocolate. Bite - this is the only completely bite-free blend for me, YMMV. Given the price, this should be compared to drugstore blends, but it is way better than almost anything you can get at the drugstore. Flaws - this blend is a little goopy straight out of the pouch, but drying it out fixes that with only a slight decrease in aroma. I found that 1 week of drying in a paper bag did the trick as long as I pack the bowl lightly.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you like burley this one might be for you. I just like va and latakia more I guess.

Not bad, I just can't enjoy this more than once and a while. Probablly good for a newer smoker or someone who likes wetter smoking aromatics. I prefer my tobacco more on the natural side. I also think burley bites too much and too hard for someone who smokes as much as I do and as often.

If you like butter and burley it may work for you. Just be warned it will possibly give you the kind of bite that takes a day or two to go away if smoked too heavily or fast. Burley has a different ph that some people adjust to better than others. Leaves my pipe too wet for my liking also.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I love my English/Balkan blends. I enjoy latakia and perique. It has been many years since I knowingly tried an aromatic blend so I was shocked, shocked to find that I actually like this one.

Sweet, but not sickly so. Mild but flavorful. Easy to light and keep lit. No tongue bite (and I do get bite from many tobacco's).

I couldn't believe that I liked this until I'd tried a couple of bowls in a couple of different kinds of briar pipes.

Hmmmmm. Now I have to try more aromatic blends and see if my taste has adapted or if this is an anomoly.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (26)

I am not going to preface this review by saying I only Smoke English Tobaccos from a secret blend developed by Willaim Shakespeare and aged in a secret vault in Buckingham Palace, costing 300 bucks an ounce. Instead I am going to say I LIKE all different types of GOOD tobaccos. (notice the word good)

So getting this of my chest... This is a good all day smoke, No bite, great for the beginning piper or to just to relax with for the rest of us. on opening the bag you will see a ribbon cut burley with a whiff of butterscotch not overwhelming but just enough to whit your appetite. upon lighting you will taste what you have been only smelling untill your light , still not overpowering the delicious taste of quality burley all the way to the bottom. Not as others said a clone, but in my opinion a stand alone blend!

The room note is very pleasent and it lights well and stays lit . If you like your burleys, I believe you will not be disapointed in this one. so give old Bill Shakespeare's blends as well as your wallet a rest and light up a bowlfull of Butternut Burley...A 3 star plus

hoo-boy

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

I can't resist so-called house blends and, after reading previous reviews of this tobacco, I convinced myself to order a batch. Opening the container, one is greeted with a nice butterscotch (caramel?) aroma that neither overwhelms nor suggests the beginnings of a wet, goopy smoke. It lights easily...re-lights seldom required. Perfect moisture content, little or no bite, fine tasting burley, and an ideal light aromatic room note. As others have commented, it is a perfect all-day smoke. As soon as I suck the life out of this stuff, I will try some of the other blends created by pipesandcigars.com

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)

At first, I really thought this was a Lane bulk, or combination of Lane bulks, because of the taste. It is very similar in taste and strength to 1q or rlp6, but then one begins to notice a more natural burley smoke, with similarities to some other highly regarded Burley blends, with a nutty, buttery taste, and a well defined "burley zone".

It's not all burley I don't think, I can see a very dark or black component that must be Cavendish (or burley cavendish). However, for me, the strength just isn't enough, but I can see a lot of people liking this for many reasons: lack of bite, aroma, sweetness, and excellent burning qualities for an aromatic (better than the mentioned Lane bulks). It's an aromatic but not a powerfully cased one. It's not totally punching my ticket yet but I do think I'll keep it on hand.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)

This a great burley blend when I open the pouch I smell butternut squash and pumkinbread when I light this baby up. The wife likes the smell and the room note is very pleasant. Pipe and cigars is hitting homeruns with their blends , I look forward to trying more recipes.

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I second all the good reviews below. Packs well, stays lit and is very smooth. No bite even when puffed hard. I am adding this to my standard rotation. And at a price that is very nice.