A complex blend of three dozen different types and grades of tobacco from four continents. The pleasing aroma comes from the delicate blending of Burley and Virginia tobacco aged from three to five years. The mild sweet taste is enhanced with lemon making this a perfect world-class all day smoke.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByPaul Olsen
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)

This is by far one of the better Virginia's I have tried. There is a subtle grassy flavour when you first start smoking that lasts throughout the pipe. There are also occasional hints of a dark and creamy flavour that I can only describe as a bit chocolately... I think this is coming from the small amount of rum it is cased with. This is a nice social smoke for others who do not like heavilly cased aromatics, but also don't want to offend those around them with heavy latakia blends.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

"Three dozen types and grades...", "Four continents..."

Wow!

I'm sure that there are those who could discern all that from the taste: I'm not one of them, sadly. But I do find it all quite charming; and I'm a sucker for fancy tins and labels. The actually smoking experience is, thankfully, enjoyable. It is very definitely a Danish experience, with all that that entails. In the tin, there is a melange of ribbon, short and long, bright and medium colour, small bits of broken flake, and flecks of black. I would assume the latter is Cavendish, but who would have thought that Mac Baren's Mixture has Latakia in it(It does, according to their web site)?

It is somewhat stronger than "Mixture", perhaps barely qualifying for a "3" on the Mac Baren strength scale. It could be an all day blend, if one could control one's rate of puffing: the threat of bite lurks. The lemon, which I wouldn't have guessed in a month of Sundays, is perhaps what lends that clear taste over the somewhat creamy base. I ordered this hoping for a variation of the McClelland 5115 experience; I didn't quite get that. What I got was hints of, as you might have guessed "Mixture" and McClelland's "Honeydew". With lemon. But I do enjoy this, and will get another tin or two: I'm going to bet that this will be super come the warm summer months.